Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Writing from a country that owns a number of second hand submarines, it seems to me that giving such a craft to a drug cartel would be a great way to immediately bankrupt their operation.

Yeah, the boat looks like shit.  But they're smiling, which is the reason to sail......

No trailer, no problem.  Just drill through the bilge keels and slide the axle right in. A couple of fittings from Harbor Freight and your off to the scrap yard!

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

Doesn't get any better looking each time...

Awlgrip Sea Foam. What's not to like?

22 minutes ago, Bull City said:

If I were more tech-savvy I'd post the other external shot of the thing. World's goofiest furling headsail.

3 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

If I were more tech-savvy I'd post the other external shot of the thing. World's goofiest furling headsail.

This one?

1682020736_ScreenShot2021-06-03at11_51_14AM.thumb.png.7529d3f437c03e5e2f7e202f4c55cd52.png

32 minutes ago, Bull City said:

At least the color makes a decent effort to blind the eyes, which would then enable you to avoid actually seeing the shape of the thing

53 minutes ago, Bull City said:

This one?

1682020736_ScreenShot2021-06-03at11_51_14AM.thumb.png.7529d3f437c03e5e2f7e202f4c55cd52.png

Yes that one. The aluminum lightpole on the foredeck for the radome is thicker than the mast, I think.

As I look at this view, it begins to resemble a PT Boat. The reverse sheer, the windscreen, the paravanes... it just needs some torpedo tubes and a gun mount on the foredeck. A gray-green paint job would help. 

Can you imagine her on a beam reach in a 24 knot breeze, John Wayne at the controls, foredeck gun spitting lead and flames, torpedoes flying from the tubes, paravanes stabilizing...?

I'm leaving for Sarasota with my check book!

image.png.227591ead6de956147b71cb12294540f.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bull City said:

As I look at this view, it begins to resemble a PT Boat. The reverse sheer, the windscreen, the paravanes... it just needs some torpedo tubes and a gun mount on the foredeck. A gray-green paint job would help. 

Can you imagine her on a beam reach in a 24 knot breeze, John Wayne at the controls, foredeck gun spitting lead and flames, torpedoes flying from the tubes, paravanes stabilizing...?

I'm leaving for Sarasota with my check book!

image.png.227591ead6de956147b71cb12294540f.png

Careful Bull - you'll get into all kinds of trouble

John Wayne Goes to War: Duke's WWII Films of the 1940s - Mostly Westerns

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Bull City said:

More importantly, what are these things? The "paravains for stabilization?"

2096445021_ScreenShot2021-06-03at11_53_47AM.thumb.png.eedf49b70893fde0c158d77f59ee3cdd.png

1. They look like outriggers for the larger furling genoa (?) in the other picture - tradewind/downwind sheeting angles

2. I thought this picture under sail was a trick of perspective or camera lens until the other picture of it at anchor confirmed the proportions are in fact real. 

3. Disappointed that the cruising speed is only 7-8 knots under power. I was really hoping it had some sort of monstrous inboard that would have it doing about 15 knots with a stern wave that would set of tsunami warning systems all along the coast

13 hours ago, NZK said:

1. They look like outriggers for the larger furling genoa (?) in the other picture - tradewind/downwind sheeting angles

There is a wire going from the end of the windward outrigger into the water.  The boat may be stabilised by paravane. 

I found the listing and there are no pictures of the paravanes.

To answer Bull City's question, paravanes are foils on strings, like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF4A2Wf2alM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ9qwAQ_ofQ

But the wire seems to pull nearly straight down, so it may be more like what you see here, about 10 minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYp8eVApLrg

• 4 weeks later...

Are there no more ugly boats being seen? It's too quiet here.

I have no idea what this is about, but it looked incredibly hot in there.

footprint.thumb.jpg.5f4af2dbfa2e7e319792025df383fa84.jpgfootprint2.thumb.jpg.ad79a847b645a15f381e7067f57fdafe.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

footprint.thumb.jpg.5f4af2dbfa2e7e319792025df383fa84.jpgfootprint2.thumb.jpg.ad79a847b645a15f381e7067f57fdafe.jpg

I think he's about to deploy his paravanes.

44 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I think that is a support boat for kayak tours. Company out of Powell River.

317_1600.jpg

TLDR:  He studied thousands of designs...

" The Footprint Boat, a trailerable camper-catamaran, is taking the lead at this years' Toronto International Boat Show. Designed to change the way we play and sleep on the water, the Footprint Boat is 27 feet long, trailerable, and sleeps 6 comfortably.

The boat's sleek design and lightweight materials make it durable, fuel efficient and easy to handle. Designed, constructed and tested in the waters in and around Victoria B.C. - this boat solves the problem of affordable and comfortable adventures for kayakers, fishermen, families, campers, and anyone else who loves to get out on the water and explore.

Builder Ian Collombin developed the Footprint concept and gained inspiration from his many adventure travels: canal boats of Europe, Airstream trailers, Westfalia Campervans, multi-hulls, and trailerable boats and tent trailers all play into the Footprint's design and easy-to-use amenities.

Current boats able to accommodate 6 are too large to be trailered and too expensive for the average family. High moorage rates, upkeep costs, and fuel prices are factors that have caused many to rethink boating as a hobby and lifestyle. People are searching for a less expensive alternative. A trailerable boat greatly reduces costs and expands cruising horizons. The Footprint Boat is the answer."

Web site apparently no longer exists.

Actually reminds me of a lot of bespoke "extreme!" adventure gear I see clamped onto vehicles around the beach.  Expensive, complicated, wastes most of the space the vehicle had to start with.

12 hours ago, toddster said:

"The Footprint Boat is the answer."

.....to a question I never asked.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Every time these abortions show up I want to see them tie up to a dock in a strong breeze.

You just fold up the camper.

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

.....to a question I never asked.

I have the question and answer.  

Well, clear off all that junk above the deck (or in this case floor?) Then extend the deck out about ten feet fore and aft (or in this case out the front or out the back) Then put a nice single seat helmsman station on the far starboard side, amidships (or is it on the right side somewhere close to the middle)

There, when ever you want to practice landing your RC Aircraft in a Real environment you have the “horse” for the “course’ a real aircraft carrier.  Preferred aircraft, Corsairs, Hellcats or for the real aficionado, Waildcats.  , A fellow or lady (or both) get your new model “Aircraft carrier” out on the lake, get an air boss to fly the aircraft and a good helmsman to steer her into the wind and What a Great way to have fun practicing carrier landings with your favorite scale WWII RC aircraft.  

What else are those floating aluminum logs good for?  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

I have the question and answer.  

Well, clear off all that junk above the deck (or in this case floor?) Then extend the deck out about ten feet fore and aft (or in this case out the front or out the back) Then put a nice single seat helmsman station on the far starboard side, amidships (or is it on the right side somewhere close to the middle)

There, when ever you want to practice landing your RC Aircraft in a Real environment you have the “horse” for the “course’ a real aircraft carrier.  Preferred aircraft, Corsairs, Hellcats or for the real aficionado, Waildcats.  , A fellow or lady (or both) get your new model “Aircraft carrier” out on the lake, get an air boss to fly the aircraft and a good helmsman to steer her into the wind and What a Great way to have fun practicing carrier landings with your favorite scale WWII RC aircraft.  

What else are those floating aluminum logs good for?  

I could see former Naval aviators loving that. How about RC Grumman seaplanes?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Bull City said:

I could see former Naval aviators loving that. How about RC Grumman seaplanes?

How about RC torpedo bombers to get the jetskis?

• Like 2
23 hours ago, toddster said:

317_1600.jpg

TLDR:  He studied thousands of designs...<Snip>

Design inspiration:

image.png.a4bfeaa16df23a0dac3364afd511d70d.png

On 7/1/2021 at 9:24 PM, mcmurdo said:

The outboards look very vulnerable to the various hazards of the sea.

4 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

The outboards look very vulnerable to the various hazards of the sea.

I doubt that thing is going any further seaward than the harbourmaster's cat.

5 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

I doubt that thing is going any further seaward than the harbourmaster's cat.

If he stays in the southern Gulf Islands he's probably pretty safe.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

If he stays in the southern Gulf Islands he's probably pretty safe.

True enough, and if he's trailing around after kayakers, he's likely staying in calm waters.  I was just amused that SemiSalt was concerned about the hazards at sea (with what I assume was heavy sarcasm on his part). 

17 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

not sure if this belongs here or not..since its not actually a boat yet...   if two hulls are better than one, three must better than two,  Well shit Four hulls has to be the lucky number...

https://qmaran.com/

e36c8066-0ec7-49b2-ac9a-192e3d6614f8.jpg

A catamaran for the Q-Anon crowd.

12 minutes ago, slap said:

A catamaran for the Q-Anon crowd.

plus according the unique advantages

• Easy to build  |  straight angles, repetition  -  Double the pleasure, half the price?

Sign me up...

At some point, we are approaching a raft.  :D

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Easy to build 

Everyone knows building 4 hulls is easier than 2! (and 4 rudders rutters as well because why not!

13 hours ago, Laurent said:

I am waiting for the pentamaran. Revolutionary. I am telling you! Revolutionary!!!

Just wait till Gillette starts building boats

• Like 1

If you went with six hulls, you could claim to be an Admiral (instead of a captain) because with six hulls, you would have your own Fleet

3 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

If you went with six hulls, you could claim to be an Admiral (instead of a captain) because with six hulls, you would have your own Fleet

And it would be UNSINKABLE as long as you didn't hit three or more icebergs........... getting one stuck between the hulls would be a bummer

FB- Doug

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

And it would be UNSINKABLE as long as you didn't hit three or more icebergs........... getting one stuck between the hulls would be a bummer

FB- Doug

Icebergs...No worries, put one of those new 600 hp V-12 outboards on each hull and icebergs will be quickly converted to crushed ice. 

But, at $70,000 each ($420,000.00) you reckon that might be a touch too much?  

2 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

No worries, put one of those new 600 hp V-12 outboards on each hull and icebergs will be quickly converted to crushed ice. 

But, at $70,000 each ($420,000.00) you reckon that might be a touch too much?  

Too much??

Shirley, you jest!

MORE IS BETTER

- DSK

• Like 1

Shirley has no sense of humor bu point taken.

Not terribly ugly, I guess, but this curiosity has been washed up on our local beach for a few weeks.  It's not a very large beach, so it takes up a lot of it.  

Appears to be a Hobie 14 grafted onto... whatever that was in the middle.  Rig from the Hobie with a mast extension.  Windsurfer boom for handrails.  Execution looks pretty good.  Design... who knows? I haven't observed it to leave the beach.  One assumes that little cabin makes it some sort of microcruiser, but with no provision for light or ventilation apparent. :unsure:

IMG_3141.jpeg.d6684cf18a06009aa8170ecbb40020ae.jpeg

IMG_3142.jpeg.29148acb294ea754082c51f527bb8880.jpeg

I'll admit that when I had my Hobie Cat, I left it on that spot overnight a couple of times.  But not all summer.

1 hour ago, toddster said:

Not terribly ugly, I guess, but this curiosity has been washed up on our local beach for a few weeks.  It's not a very large beach, so it takes up a lot of it.  

Appears to be a Hobie 14 grafted onto... whatever that was in the middle.  Rig from the Hobie with a mast extension.  Windsurfer boom for handrails.  Execution looks pretty good.  Design... who knows? I haven't observed it to leave the beach.  One assumes that little cabin makes it some sort of microcruiser, but with no provision for light or ventilation apparent. :unsure:

I'll admit that when I had my Hobie Cat, I left it on that spot overnight a couple of times.  But not all summer.

Anybody named Crowhurst ever been around there?

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Anybody named Crowhurst ever been around there?

He's hanging out with Lord Lucan somewhere..

On 7/2/2021 at 4:24 AM, mcmurdo said:

Speaking of kayaks

13052021_Canomaran-_52A8639-scaled.jpg

Yeah, I really don´t know

On 7/15/2021 at 8:14 PM, toddster said:

"Tremolina".  You bought the center hull and beams, provided 2 Hobie hulls & off you went.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:16 PM, Pertsa said:

Speaking of kayaks

13052021_Canomaran-_52A8639-scaled.jpg

Yeah, I really don´t know

Try doing an eskimo roll in that. Of course in these woke days you can't call it that. Kayak roll doesn't seem to capture it. Maybe Innuit roll in respect for those who first mastered.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, NZK said:

I really don't know where to begin with this one....

Well, first of all every Mediterranean Ladder (or is an Accommodation Ladder - I forget) I have ever seen and used runs fore/aft, not athwartship.  

Usually there is a little crane type thing that allows it to be raised/lowered.  Once raised, it usually folds up to be part of the bulwark.  

The ladder on that 'boat' is just so wrong..... and that is just the ladder.  

I admire that the sails are properly furled and stowed (that's all I got).  

ladder.png

1 hour ago, Pertsa said:

It seems to have somewhat good looking hull. Would be probably fine if built more like this:

The_Danish_Majestys_Yacht_80m_DESIGN_MY_

That's what I thought - that weird juxtaposition of old clipper hull and Euro spaceship deck is just bizarre.

Make up yer fuckin' mind FFS.

And how do you zip up those sail covers?

17 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That's what I thought - that weird juxtaposition of old clipper hull and Euro spaceship deck is just bizarre.

Make up yer fuckin' mind FFS.

It's probably branded as a "fusion" design, with pages of marketingspeak to justify the atrocity

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

And how do you zip up those sail covers?

Oh, it is so much fuss whole sailing thing. And boat goes tilted and drinks spill. 

25 minutes ago, Matagi said:

$_57.JPG

That looks to be a Norfolk Broads boat, a great solution to a unique sailing venue and a place I would love to explore one day. To my eye not much ugly, and much to admire, includinge the patina.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, steele said:

That looks to be a Norfolk Broads boat, a great solution to a unique sailing venue and a place I would love to explore one day. To my eye not much ugly, and much to admire, includinge the patina.

Or maybe German 20sqm Jollenkreuzer with an awful non-original window job. They have centreboards and lifting rudders and are ideal for flat water / lightish wind. Einstein had one of those. 

29 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

Or maybe German 20sqm Jollenkreuzer with an awful non-original window job. They have centreboards and lifting rudders and are ideal for flat water / lightish wind. Einstein had one of those. 

This.

Cool, I learn something new every other day. I guess the windows don't bother me much as I live in the gloomy PNW and the more light that gets below the better.

1 hour ago, Matagi said:

$_57.JPG

O/K, that port design is butt ugly but a coat of varnish would make a major transformation to that boat.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

O/K, that port design is butt ugly but a coat of varnish would make a major transformation to that boat.

Exactly what I was thinking.  A bit of sanding (well maybe a Whole Lot of Sanding) and a few coats of varnish and she’d have folks lining up to buy her.  Also, the ports don’t bother me nearly as much as some,

Really, which would you rather sail? 

3DC6D401-4236-46C7-AB52-2A179416FF8A.jpeg

87BD058B-5CFE-4ED7-969A-527BB9045FF7.jpeg

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  A bit of sanding (well maybe a Whole Lot of Sanding) and a few coats of varnish and she’d have folks lining up to buy her.  Also, the ports don’t bother me nearly as much as some,

Really, which would you rather sail? 

3DC6D401-4236-46C7-AB52-2A179416FF8A.jpeg

87BD058B-5CFE-4ED7-969A-527BB9045FF7.jpeg

None. I would take the 'Notaxt' and deal with it.

It probably just hurt my eye, because I know how these boats are supposed to look like:

Ich_und_mein_Boot_Meusel-1024x670.jpg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

That's not much of a recommendation. He was apparently an awful sailor.

Despite sailing for over half a century, Einstein was not a very accomplished sailor. According to his biographers, he would lose his direction, his mast would often fall down, and he frequently ran aground and had near collisions with other vessels.

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2013/03/21/albert-einstein-not-much-of-a-sailor/

• Like 1

That doesn't surprise me a bit - academics live in their heads, not in the world and he was the ultimate academic.

I'm sure he wore grubby clothes (full of cigarette burns if he smoked), his home was a litter of books & papers, people had to remind him to eat  etc.

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That's not much of a recommendation. He was apparently an awful sailor.

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2013/03/21/albert-einstein-not-much-of-a-sailor/

Einstein was an awful sailor but at least he didn't try to hide the fact. The famous "I'd rather drown like a gentleman" quote is attributed to him.

His boat was equipped with a lead counterweight at the mast base to make lowering and raising easier (lots of bridges here), so if/when the mast fell down at least it fell sloooowly. It also had a little inboad motor which was even more uncommon for that class. Still, he managed to get blown into the reed about every other day. Local fishermen were friends with him and towed him back into the enwironment on a regular basis.

Anyhow he loved sailing and he loved his boat so much that he called it "my big, fat sailing ship". When the nazis expropriated him, they officially listed it as a "racing motor yacht" because everybody - well, everybody who sailed - knew that a 20er Jollenkreuzer was a rather pedestrial inshore cruiser.