Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

It’s weird you know… now that printed journals, re-prints and photocopies are things of the past, we shouldn’t even need desks any more.  But somehow paper expands to fill the available space.  At least the file cabinets are gone.  

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Writing from a country that owns a number of second hand submarines, it seems to me that giving such a craft to a drug cartel would be a great way to immediately bankrupt their operation.

Yeah, the boat looks like shit.  But they're smiling, which is the reason to sail......

This is what happens when you wear socks with sandals.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, toddster said:

It’s weird you know… now that printed journals, re-prints and photocopies are things of the past, we shouldn’t even need desks any more.  But somehow paper expands to fill the available space.  At least the file cabinets are gone.  

When I started at IBM in the early 70's we were already talking about "the end of paper"

When I stopped working in '08 we had recently installed the biggest fastest printers ever - paper was loaded on 5' diameter rolls like a printing press, not 40Lb boxes of fanfold.

• Like 1

Hmm... a quick count - Four drawers in my desk are full of stuff for working with paper.  Four drawers are full of electronic adapters, cables, obsolete phones, and shit.  The top of one L is covered with screens, keyboards, etc.  The other L is covered with notebooks and mail.  The credenza is half printers/ half scanners and a device charging-farm.  It's a tie, at the moment.

On 8/26/2021 at 10:35 AM, Matagi said:

$_57.JPG

I know there's some perspective here, but the guy on the foredeck looks huge compared to the guy in the cockpit. Is it just me?

40 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I know there's some perspective here, but the guy on the foredeck looks huge compared to the guy in the cockpit. Is it just me?

Could just be the result of a wide angle lens, exaggerated perspective.

On 8/28/2021 at 10:49 PM, SloopJonB said:

When I started at IBM in the early 70's we were already talking about "the end of paper"

When I stopped working in '08 we had recently installed the biggest fastest printers ever - paper was loaded on 5' diameter rolls like a printing press, not 40Lb boxes of fanfold.

As a person in technical management in a largish institution, I would say that the paperless revolution has really happened but probably starting around 2010. Several years ago there were suddenly vast numbers of surplus filing cabinets, then vast numbers of surplus binders, as even the really process oriented and stodgy parts of the organization learned to trust the stability of our file systems and take advantage of the fact it is so much easier to search and reuse documents across the whole organization. And of course we have seen a vast reduction in routine paper, like invoices, pay stubs and banking documents.  Even the slower parts of health care are getting there, though up until the last minute they are going to be happily using their fax machines.  

On 8/23/2021 at 4:11 PM, SloopJonB said:

That's what I thought - that weird juxtaposition of old clipper hull and Euro spaceship deck is just bizarre.

Make up yer fuckin' mind FFS.

And how do you zip up those sail covers?

those aren't covers; they are the sails.

On 8/23/2021 at 2:44 PM, NZK said:

acapella.jpg.cb4639e02416eb1dba21616a348eea42.jpg

I really don't know where to begin with this one....

nah, its not ugly,maybe weird, but definitely not ugly..

On 4/9/2021 at 1:37 PM, Pertsa said:

Well, one businessman in Finland bought one in 1993, one like this. Of couse ex-soviet boat which was delivered to finland for scrapping. Later lost during tow after being sold to Thailand in 2007.

I would guess that crew is largest issue and dockyard needed. It is not like you can keep boat in service even if you had money. 

36271286831_4e10ed4ed5_b.jpg

We have something like this one in SPB, its like 15min away from my house.

On 11/3/2019 at 9:15 PM, Diarmuid said:

Sort of a "Which boat is uglier?" or "Are new boats getting uglier?" question, from Sail Magazine. First up, the Ovni 400:

01-lead-ovni-400.webp

So fast, it apparently needs a spoiler wing.  Even tho it seems to be made from concrete blocks?

Aaaaaandd in thiiss corner... never one to be out-uglied, Moody claps back with the DS41:

06-moody_ds41_exterieur_web_01.webp

... with its swallowtail coach, it even looks fast! Tho the third time I stood up under one of those fuckers, I'd be reaching for a Sawzall.

I thought square-cornered ports were bad? Are they good now? Admire away, peoples.

its not even ugly, its bland, no excitement, no disgust, no feelings at all

@Santana20AE

certain transgressions require a penitence to be paid .

aka posting pics of unmentionable .......

you have transgressed .

2 hours ago, Mid said:

@Santana20AE

certain transgressions require a penitence to be paid .

aka posting pics of unmentionable .......

you have transgressed .

What Pictures?

1 minute ago, Santana20AE said:

What Pictures?

that thing purporting to be a sea craft ...

2 minutes ago, Mid said:

that thing purporting to be a sea craft ...

You are not referring to the picture below that little 20sqm Jollenkreuzer.  That’s not a picture, that’s an aberration of a cosmic abnormality, due to the reaction of a Sirrus class star going supernova before the accumulation of hydrogen has expired therefore making all the dihydrogen monoxide in the universe less lethal, unless it is ingested with massive quantities of oxygen and hydrogen combined in liquid form. 

Does the picture below make amends?

3B3423E7-D138-48B0-9898-889F223CE4E6.jpeg

5 hours ago, pironiero said:

nah, its not ugly,maybe weird, but definitely not ugly..

It's not ugly, it's butt ugly.

Actually, that's unfair and insulting to butts.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It's not ugly, it's butt ugly.

Actually, that's unfair and insulting to butts.

dude, i disagree, its a futuristic take on an old styled boat, if you don't like new things-i can get that, but don't call it ugly, its just not to your taste...

5 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Does the picture below make amends?

yes :)

I was referring to the McGregor , and now I have to wash my mouth out :(

• 3 weeks later...

I admire that the designer, given a brief to create the most hideous floating shiny turd thing ever conceived, gave it his or her all.

Bravo !

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

Why is a very good question.

She does seem to be a touch too much in the freeboard department to be seaworthy in a blow.  Wait; is seaworthy a requirement in today’s marine market??

55 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

She does seem to be a touch too much in the freeboard department to be seaworthy in a blow.  Wait; is seaworthy a requirement in today’s marine market??

What's this "seaworthy" thing?  The purpose of this boat is to be fuckoff big in the harbour at Monaco.

18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The market in boats directed at the Eurotrash crowd is almost comical.

I approve of these boats.  Their owners pay tens of millions of Euros to demonstrate their fuckwittery.    They could achieve the same effect by getting a €50 penis tattoo on their forehead, but this way they get to dump a lot of cash in some Italian boatyard

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

No problem.

Boat & Yacht Transport - One World Shipping Network, Inc.

Well yes and no. I don’t thing they have room in Monaco’s harbor for the delivery vessel and I sure don’t want to unload that ‘thing’ in a seaway. :D

27 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

Well yes and no. I don’t thing they have room in Monaco’s harbor for the delivery vessel and I sure don’t want to unload that ‘thing’ in a seaway. :D

They could probably unload in Nice, which is only 20km away

3 hours ago, cill123 said:

One fugly looking yoke thats missing half a mast

Screenshot_20210920-201255_Samsung Internet.jpg

It would have looked marginally better if it was all the same colour. Maybe he wanted the "approaching the speed of light" look.

8 hours ago, cill123 said:

One fugly looking yoke thats missing half a mast

Screenshot_20210920-201255_Samsung Internet.jpg

It looks like he found a front that fell off, and a back that fell off, and built a middle to join them.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It would have looked marginally better if it was all the same colour. Maybe he wanted the "approaching the speed of light" look.

No, its a Dazzle paint job.  Looking to confuse the enemy submarines. Think WWII.  I believe the navy’s version was found ineffective, but this multi blue scheme just might be the answer.