Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jono

Tuning Guides?

We're going to do a bit of sailing with Kerry on the NZ FT10. He has a stock boat with a set of NZ sails - main and m/h kite.

We don't want to spend any money, as he wants to social sail rather than run a programme but having sailed on it a few times, I've identified a couple of upgrades I'll help with. But no need to reinvent the wheel.

Are there any tuning guides published? Otherwise I'd like to pick a few brains.

First thing is rig tune, 2nd is rudder rake (ours is still factory). Then sheet lengths, and possibly deck hardware.

Any real answers on optimal crew numbers or weight. We were out 4 up on Wed in 12-15kn and that was fun but felt too light. Went 5 up in 18-20 the previous time and that was ok.

There are a bunch of tuning guides around but I can't seem to find them on the FT10 site anymore...I know that you can find them at the sail makers sites. Rig tune is variable depending on the sails you use but with a good sailmaker on board you can use the standard guides to adjust from.

I have found 8 to 9 bigger crew is very effective up wind in a bit of a breeze. Though the boat is narrow it still makes a difference.

It is a great social boat, especially in the under 6 knots of breeze where you can carry less crew.

Have fun. It is a great boat.

PNWSguy

We're going to do a bit of sailing with Kerry on the NZ FT10. He has a stock boat with a set of NZ sails - main and m/h kite.

We don't want to spend any money, as he wants to social sail rather than run a programme but having sailed on it a few times, I've identified a couple of upgrades I'll help with. But no need to reinvent the wheel.

Are there any tuning guides published? Otherwise I'd like to pick a few brains.

First thing is rig tune, 2nd is rudder rake (ours is still factory). Then sheet lengths, and possibly deck hardware.

Any real answers on optimal crew numbers or weight. We were out 4 up on Wed in 12-15kn and that was fun but felt too light. Went 5 up in 18-20 the previous time and that was ok.

Please check out out FT-10 One Design page for tuning guide and other information http://www.ullmansailswestcoast.com/One_Design_Center/Flying_Tiger.html

Or direct link to our tuning guide http://www.ullmansails.com/upload/flying-tiger/Ullman-Sails-Flying-Tiger-10-Tuning-Guide.pdf