A couple of those boats came from the Marion Fleet, those ladies are serious as hell about their 12-1/2 racing, and the cocktails afterwards.

There's a nice fleet across the bay in Red Brook, but nothing like Marion/BYC.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Available as a sloop or yawl.

My old Schooner "Europe". The first yacht registered under the brand new European Union flag. Baptised  by Princess Grace Kelly of Monaco. We acquired the boat after she went around the world. Thank y

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

A couple of those boats came from the Marion Fleet, those ladies are serious as hell about their 12-1/2 racing, and the cocktails afterwards.

There's a nice fleet across the bay in Red Brook, but nothing like Marion/BYC.

What sort of conditions can they race in? 

I am interested in starting a daysailer class down here for the more relaxed, or age impaired, sailors, and have always thought the 14 footer designed by LFH, which is a 17’ version of the old 12 1/2 would be a nice boat, if we could make them with self draining cockpits...

my other option was to pick up old glass folkboats and refurb them...

They race on Buzzard's Bay, notorious for afternoon sou'westerlies with steep chop when the tide is going out. Seaworthy little buggers they are.

The guy I got Restive from still has a 12-1/2 for daysailing in front of his home in RI, West Passage  of Narragansett Bay, another place that gets wind. He also keeps a Center Harbor 31 in Blue Hill, Maine, for day sailing when there. 

1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

They race on Buzzard's Bay, notorious for afternoon sou'westerlies with steep chop when the tide is going out. Seaworthy little buggers they are.

The guy I got Restive from still has a 12-1/2 for daysailing in front of his home in RI, West Passage  of Narragansett Bay, another place that gets wind. He also keeps a Center Harbor 31 in Blue Hill, Maine, for day sailing when there. 

The ladies in Marion used to shun anything made of fiberglass. I wonder if that's changed.

A buddy used to sail his Cape Cod Shipbuilding 12 1/2 from Falmouth to Nantucket and back. Hardy sailer and sailor.

15 minutes ago, kdh said:

The ladies in Marion used to shun anything made of fiberglass. I wonder if that's changed.

A buddy used to sail his Cape Cod Shipbuilding 12 1/2 from Falmouth to Nantucket and back. Hardy sailer and sailor.

I agree!

Having lived and sailed on the Cape, I can attest that Vineyard Sound can get every bit as nasty as Buzzard's Bay. Nantucket Sound can get even nastier. 

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

I am amazed at how easily they sail through the washing machine that is the Cape and sound. 

Displacement has it's uses.

And for it's waterline length, it's a sexy, slippery shape. The water loves to feel it go by........

:o

FB- Doug

5 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Displacement has it's uses.

And for it's waterline length, it's a sexy, slippery shape. The water loves to feel it go by........

:o

FB- Doug

Beetle Cats and other cat boats were designed to sail in Buzzard's Bay, Vineyard Sound and Nantucket Sound.

Beetle Cat.jpg

• Like 2
Just now, QBF said:

Beetle Cats and other cat boats were designed to sail in Buzzard's Bay, Vineyard Sound and Nantucket Sound.

Beetle Cat.jpg

Nice color values in that pic..... how do you get the varnish to be a complimentary shade of your dog??

My dad had a 22' catboat for years, here in the NC estuaries & sounds. Perfect environment for it. Shallow draft for all the shallow water, huge sail area for the light wind days, heavy as a brickyard and bashed it's way thru the afternoon chop quite effectively.

The Beetle Cat is a great little boat too

FB- Doug

43 minutes ago, QBF said:

Beetle Cat.jpg

One of those was my first sailboat. 

My parents just downsized to a 12 1/2 from an Alerion 28.  Initially I was skeptical that it would be easier for them, but when I saw the boat yard pack it on to the trailer and bundle it up for Winter I got it. 

3 hours ago, kdh said:

Not in my observation.  A pretty old school club, but very welcoming. Supposedly, Tabor Boy is doing next years Marion-Bermuda.

On 11/5/2018 at 4:26 PM, Steam Flyer said:

heh heh you all didn't get as much practice as those old-timers did, plus you're zooming along a LOT faster.

FWIW I disagree with 2L's opening statement that "carriers are very vulnerable." They are a high-reward target, yes. If the US loses a carrier, it loses a HUGE amount of ability to project power globally. OTOH they are defended with pretty much everything in the inventory from spy-sats to AWACs to helo anti-sub screens to PHALANX and then SEALs and dolphins (from what I've hear on the grapevine, you do NOT want to get intercepted by a "playful" military dolphin..... you'd rather just be drowned outright).

If an enemy force can take out a carrier, it's highly likely they've won that round. But it's more likely that they will lose a lot of their own assets trying, and fail. At least, in any current military face-off we envision. Most first-world national air forces and naval forces combined could not take on a single carrier..... which says something about US military spending in proportion to what we probably should be doing.......... and none (at the moment) could take on two.

I always laugh when I see the news about the Russian or Chinese developing carriers. Yeah they're where we were in about 1928. They could catch up fast if they really try hard though.

aircraft-carrier-tips-as-it-makes-sharp-

An oldy but a goody

FB- Doug

BTDT on that ship and a couple of others. Lost my favorite coffee cup when I got distracted in one of my spaces and didn’t get back to the office in time for the festivities. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

BTDT on that ship and a couple of others. Lost my favorite coffee cup when I got distracted in one of my spaces and didn’t get back to the office in time for the festivities. 

I was amazed at the size and manpower of the carriers and nuclear submarines when I lived in the Norfolk/Va.Beach area. I went to Old Dominion University and they had a brand new sailing center on the Elizabeth River. I would take a laser or windsurfer and sail on over and check them out. Other times I would drive over to the the NAS Va.Beach and sit at the beginning of the landing strip and watch the A-10’s do their touch and goes. The pilots knew who I was and would wave to me as they did their passes at truly jaw dropping slow speeds. 

You can’t get near either base since 9/11...

On 11/5/2018 at 3:59 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

He's a nice young man, he loves my daughter, I love him for that.

It takes someone special to take on a girl who's had severe rheumatoid arthritis her whole life, with no end in sight. An odd thing, she's had health issues her whole life, but is about as totally immune to seasickness as anyone I've ever seen. She's also whip smart and a talented artist.

My biological clock is ticking and I want Grandkids NOW GODDAMNIT!!! Whatever his flaws, I'm not waiting for her to find someone incrementally better. He took the "shallow unmarked grave" talk to heart and didn't blink at the pre-nup.

The grandkids will be skiers, fly fishers, canoeists, shooters (especially the girls, my daughter has had a concealed carry license for many years), musicians and sailors. Oh, yes, they will sail.

Would a great sailor have been ideal? Sure, but that's not the way it turned out. I'm OK with it. As I said, he loves her and knows what he's getting himself into.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding.

Did the prenup have a grandkid clause?  

I can remember like it was yesterday when my son called and said "Dad, are you sitting down?" That was almost 14 years ago. A couple weeks ago the grandkid and I were packing out his first buck. Time marches on.

Side story about that son's wedding. They got married after the grandkid was about 1 or so. They planned a simple ceremony at a local park pavilion with the justice of the peace. The judge never showed. Bride was crying, groom is pissed, got kind of shitty. Then my ex had an idea, she was working at the state prison and knew an officer who was and ordained minister. She called him and he agreed to drop what he was doing and come out. He shows up, a big booming black guy dressed to the nines. He sat the bride and groom down and had a long talk, then proceeded to perform one hell of a ceremony. He had the lilly white audience full of joy, spirit and tons of hallelujahs. He saved the day. I've been to some pretty elaborate weddings but none as much fun as that was.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Nota boat but some nice craftsmanship.

Edit:  Not sure I'd justify $329/night to sleep in a pod.  http://freespiritspheres.com

Really beautiful and worth watching the whole thing; he is skilled (bronze castings) and talented with many good ideas.  Love the doors!  But $300+ per night is ABSURD.

tree_sphere.thumb.jpg.d179fc30769cb02eda1fc609dcb41dae.jpg

13 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

Really beautiful and worth watching the whole thing; he is skilled (bronze castings) and talented with many good ideas.  Love the doors!  But $300+ per night is ABSURD.

tree_sphere.thumb.jpg.d179fc30769cb02eda1fc609dcb41dae.jpg

The cheapest sphere, sleeping 3, is $299 CAD per night, or $226 USD.

We Admire lots of cool boats that are cool in part because they're big, but how about a few cheers for cool small boats?

Duckworks has this as the current FB cover photo:

45699858_10217941439837328_6353251358094

There's just something fun when the human outweighs the boat.

• Like 3

I still admire PIERA, the 1955 Rhodes, even with it's 'Rumble seat'. Low freeboard, you have a panoramic view from below, of sunrises and sets, decks awash underway.

Rumor has it the owner that had her re-built over last winter (keel/backbone, ribs, floors, etc), intends to donate her.

Stand ready with checkbook, if you want her,...

30870521097_2527c5b1f1_o.jpg

Conversely, the 75' Hinckley NORTH STAR looks less sleek to my eye. The proportion of higher freeboard for volume below shows. Still a pretty boat. 

I'm mostly looking down on the decks of these old yachts. With the Hinckley, I had to raise the SLR above my eye and shoot. Interesting layout. Many more butterfly hatches than you'd expect on a 1993 design(note the little wooden cleats on the corners-for canvas covers?). I bet the butterfly hatches make for a nice feel below as that is your only view - up. Plus more than ample cowl vents on Dorade boxes for ventilation. This boat is meant for sailing. 

44897293705_ee9e36c67d_o.jpg

The Hinckley was designed by an industrial designer Okke Mannerfelt (probably misspelled).  Talented designer, but you’re not wrong that the proportions on that boat are a bit off.  I was onboard a couple of years back when a friend was the captain.  I wasn’t really impressed with the layout or the build.  

Interestingly, Piera was fully restored by Hinckley in the late 90’s early 2000’s by another friend.  When it was sold shortly after, the next owner (same one that is selling now) had her sailed to St Barths, where she sat for several years, eventually becoming infested with worms and requiring another full rebuild!  Yikes.  Gorgeous boat. I hope she stays on Nantucket where she has called home for decades.  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

We Admire lots of cool boats that are cool in part because they're big, but how about a few cheers for cool small boats?

Duckworks has this as the current FB cover photo:

45699858_10217941439837328_6353251358094

There's just something fun when the human outweighs the boat.

Looks like fun, Tom.  Are those PD Racers?

13 hours ago, eliboat said:

The Hinckley was designed by an industrial designer Okke Mannerfelt (probably misspelled).  Talented designer, but you’re not wrong that the proportions on that boat are a bit off.

Ocke Mannerfelt, so spelling is OK. He and his design team ( = son) are designers focused on very fast motorboats, see http://www.mdteam.se/,  also have some sailboats under his belt as some other designs. He is well-known for his fast boats.

It is a big boat, not sure if the proportions are off: 23 x 5.2 m, 43 ton, seems very reasonable to me. Of course the freeboards are higher on such a large boat, not out of proportions.  Similar discussions as on the other large boats introduced by CL ~ a week ago.

//J

6 hours ago, Jaramaz said:

Ocke Mannerfelt, so spelling is OK. He and his design team ( = son) are designers focused on very fast motorboats, see http://www.mdteam.se/,  also have some sailboats under his belt as some other designs. He is well-known for his fast boats.

It is a big boat, not sure if the proportions are off: 23 x 5.2 m, 43 ton, seems very reasonable to me. Of course the freeboards are higher on such a large boat, not out of proportions.  Similar discussions as on the other large boats introduced by CL ~ a week ago.

//J

Yes, I’m familiar with his work.  Having seen this boat  in the flesh numerous times, sailing and sitting dockside,  while certainly not ugly, she is a bit clumsy looking, particularly in a place like Rockport, where she was photographed in this thread.  

• Like 1
On 11/6/2018 at 12:26 AM, Steam Flyer said:

heh heh you all didn't get as much practice as those old-timers did, plus you're zooming along a LOT faster.

FWIW I disagree with 2L's opening statement that "carriers are very vulnerable." They are a high-reward target, yes. If the US loses a carrier, it loses a HUGE amount of ability to project power globally. OTOH they are defended with pretty much everything in the inventory from spy-sats to AWACs to helo anti-sub screens to PHALANX and then SEALs and dolphins (from what I've hear on the grapevine, you do NOT want to get intercepted by a "playful" military dolphin..... you'd rather just be drowned outright).

If an enemy force can take out a carrier, it's highly likely they've won that round. But it's more likely that they will lose a lot of their own assets trying, and fail. At least, in any current military face-off we envision. Most first-world national air forces and naval forces combined could not take on a single carrier..... which says something about US military spending in proportion to what we probably should be doing.......... and none (at the moment) could take on two.

I always laugh when I see the news about the Russian or Chinese developing carriers. Yeah they're where we were in about 1928. They could catch up fast if they really try hard though.

aircraft-carrier-tips-as-it-makes-sharp-

An oldy but a goody

FB- Doug

Drift a car?   Hold my beer...

- Stumbling

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Brackets for Watt&Sea hydro generators.

So, how much do those things impact performance? I must admit, the  idea of working hard to develop a clean, efficient underbody and then installing drag inducing devices on the transom runs counter to my concept of the purpose of sailing. 

1 hour ago, kinardly said:

So, how much do those things impact performance? I must admit, the  idea of working hard to develop a clean, efficient underbody and then installing drag inducing devices on the transom runs counter to my concept of the purpose of sailing. 

No impact at all once you reach hull speed...

• Like 1

The Watt&Seas are very efficient and used on a lot of  racing yachts. Yes there is some drag. But they articulate to stay aligned with the flow, kind of like a rudder. During trials on No. 1 we noticed no change in boat speed with both Watt&Seas deployed. And believe me, we were paying attention. If they make no sense to you you can leave them off your boat. We like them. We got 40 amps out of two units at 9 knots. We found that impressive.

• Like 2

That's cool that they articulate.  

On a small boat, I wonder if it could double as an emergency rudder.

Or primary on a really small boat.

Maybe those generators will "motor" with power applied?

I'll stop babbling now.

Steve 

On 11/12/2018 at 9:53 AM, Bob Perry said:

Brackets for Watt&Sea hydro generators.

23696671248_c8e7c4a5de_k.jpgWa 2 by robert perry, on Flickr

I don't understand the double bracket and electric tape... In the previous pic without the W&S in place it looked like

it would slide down into the outer bracket... which slides into the bracket on the transom? This one looks bolted

together and then there is the tape on the bracket on the transom. Also, pretty small wire for 20+ amps. And, must have been

a bunch of folks in the cockpit with the engine running to get that stripe on the transom above the cockpit drains... Must be

fall there, the eelgrass is shedding blades in profusion.

1 hour ago, chester said:

the boat cost US$421,000 to build (about US$6 million today)

As if.

$421K at the start of the depression would be way into 8 figures in current $$

Those big old Kitsilano mansions went for prices like $8K back then. 421 was an enormous amount of money.

Panope:

The Watt&Seas auto articulate. They stay aligned with he flow. It's interesting to see that they are seldom parallel indicating different flow angle on windward and leeward side.

I don't think they would make a viable emergency steering system., As per design there is very little that can fail on our steering system.

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Auto-articulate? I like that term. Makes me think of words just flowing effortlessly out of ones mouth. As in, 'that's easy for you to say...'

Taking it a step further, how about auto-procrastinate? 

I've had that perfected for a long time.

8 hours ago, Jammer Six said:

I like the self promotion.

BP has something to promote. It helps all of us when there is innovation.

I can just imagine you’re great grandfather sending Capt. Nat letters bitching about all of his crappy innovative work and self promotion. 

Get a life that’s worth living...

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I can just imagine you’re great grandfather sending Capt. Nat letters bitching about all of his crappy innovative work and self promotion. 

Get a life that’s worth living...

You must be about the only member left who hasn't jammed J6.

He's never had anything worthwhile to say and never will.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I don’t ignore anyone.

I’m just glad I’m not a member of the Sloop Tavern Yacht Club. Imagine sitting at the same bar as him...

Says Cliffy! 

The STYC is more than good enough to make up for the likes of a J6 douchebag.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

From GA yesterday

C27AF08E-F421-4D93-995F-7336C1772504.jpeg

Most TV weathermen know where to stand. This fellow must have missed that workshop.

On the other hand, maybe it's part of the anatomy of a winter storm. If hurricanes have an eye, maybe winter storms have a ...  I'll have to check my meteorological texts.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Bob's boats might look pretty but pilot cutters were innovative in 1800, carbon fibre boats in 1985 and hydrogenerators are off the shelf items developped 2 or 3 Vendée Globe ago, I am not sure where the innovation is!

• Like 2

Pano, ProA, and J6 all seem to love to put Bob down.   Can't you guys just ignore if you dont like what he is up to or have a personal beef?

Bob has done more in the past month than you guys have in years.

The guy can go fishing in the morning, catch dinner, play with his dogs and grandkids  any time he wants, is asked to speak around the USA and further regarding Naval Architecture and his approach to design and build.

Oh wait, you guys already know that.

The innovation is in his ability to use his immense base of knowledge ( unlike you guys) to deliver what his diverse clientelle want and his greatest characteristic is ability to piss losers like you and J6 and overlay every time he posts. 

You guys do nothing for the Sailing world Panoramix and love to  complain about those who do. Some people are born doers like Bob and you guys are the born  don’ters 

Here you guys are with all you’ve done for sailing...

pano is the baker who’s lost his loaf

J6, you’re the fat guy with no meat and a short sword

and Overlay, when you’re notifications alert you that BP posted, you’re the drippy looking one dribbling your limp candle juice all over and about to tip J6

39A46FEC-FEDF-4FB7-A9CB-5FCECA1E2DA8.jpeg

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Pano, ProA, and J6 all seem to love to put Bob down.   Can't you guys just ignore if you dont like what he is up to or have a personal beef?

Please don't drag my name into this mess that is spoiling a great thread.  I've long had @Jammer Six and @Sail4beer on ignore but @Ishmael, @olaf hart and @IStream couldn't resist feeding the troll(s) and making things personal.  Now you've done the same.  The bad blood is for very good reasons, let's not be naive about this.  Calling it a "personal beef" is ignoring the despicable behavior that some of us suffered for way too long.  It is not forgotten or forgiven.

"the crowd becomes a mob; the leader selects the target; the target loses his or her humanity in the mob’s gaze."
 -- Sarah Kendzior

20 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

Please don't drag my name into this mess that is spoiling a great thread.  I've long had @Jammer Six and @Sail4beer on ignore but @Ishmael, @olaf hart and @IStream couldn't resist feeding the troll(s) and making things personal.  Now you've done the same.  The bad blood is for very good reasons, let's not be naive about this.  Calling it a "personal beef" is ignoring the despicable behavior that some of us suffered for way too long.  It is not forgotten or forgiven.

Blah, blah, blah

I specifically left you out of it this time, troll #4. 

But you are made to suffer of your own accord. You always target people and degrade them for their lack of knowledge of the most mundane details. I learned that about you long ago. 

Go back under your rock, troll

D0F9F020-08FB-49ED-ACBA-CDC564027228.jpeg

1 hour ago, ProaSailor said:

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about, but I suggest you take it off line.  It's not worth the aggravation.

6 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about, but I suggest you take it off line.  It's not worth the aggravation.

So stop aggravating the situation yourself!  You referred to me with this weird "ProA" spelling, did you not?   Simply because I voted 'Like' on a comment that makes perfect sense and wasn't particularly personal.  Until you made it so.

These troll incidents blow up because so many jump in trying to defend and "clean up", but only muddying the water and throwing salt on old wounds.  Own it.

1 hour ago, ProaSailor said:

Please feel free to put me on ignore and I'll reciprocate by never interacting with you again.

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

The innovation is in his ability to use his immense base of knowledge ( unlike you guys) to deliver what his diverse clientelle want and his greatest characteristic is ability to piss losers like you and J6 and overlay every time he posts. 

That's called designing, innovating is inventing new ways of doing stuff.

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

You guys do nothing for the Sailing world Panoramix and love to  complain about those who do. Some people are born doers like Bob and you guys are the born  don’ters 

You know nothing about my life, believe me or not, I teach about my field in a well known engineering school and I am part of a team who won a respected national award. I am also implied in some applied research so I know the difference between design and innovation.

Sailing for me is a hobby, I intend to keep it this way!

Maybe some folks could do a little R&R over at PA?  10 minutes there and y'all would realize what really, really nice people are here, even the ones you may disagree with about this or that.

FWIW, I think y'all are OK. Pretty much all of you, whether you like me back or not. The fact that most of you are smarter than me makes this easy, I like smart people.

The Celestial nav course over the weekend was great, but a lot of info crammed into 1.5 days. Sort of like a 7 hour math class, by the end all you can think of is rum. Ron (the Instructor) sent our first homework assignment right after. Then my bag with the almanac and sight reduction tables got lost. I flew in Tuesday, wife says the bag just arrived. Looks like homework tonight. 

Oh yeah, cool boats. Ron has a Columbia 50, really a cool boat.

The course energized me into, against my better judgement, registering for Marion-Bermuda in the Celestial class again. I haven't yet decided whether to do it again with the same great geezers, since all of us are rapidly approaching our sell-by dates, or to do it as a Youth Challenge boat and give a bunch of kids some offshore experience, try to get some of the next generation hooked. Decisions, decisions.....

But, by all means, spend your free time coming to your hobby site and denigrating the Master’s work. 

What forum might I join where you are posting about your profession/passion so I can endlessly troll you for all your hard and prideful work every time you post? 

I didn’t denigrate your work when you showed it last year in an attempt to sound like a reasonable person. I could have for no other reason than to act the way you do. I remember seeing wooden accents...nice stuff and the other building...

You have to learn to leave  BP’s posts alone like MauiPunter said. We wait a long time to see what he’s working on and don’t appreciate you and the other trollers.

CL, I wouldn’t post this meme but I worked so hard on it and I hope this shit fight fizzles again. I try to be nice to them all and they just keep the endless BP attack on every thread and we’ve been accused of this type of behavior before. We just never printed or distributed the t shirts last year.

And best of luck in the celestial class race. I learned a lot about it a few years back and considered that I would be a little crazy to go that route if I do the Newport- Bermuda. 

5111DA09-8CB3-4A29-A510-6C44370116AA.jpeg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Bob's boats might look pretty but pilot cutters were innovative in 1800, carbon fibre boats in 1985 and hydrogenerators are off the shelf items developped 2 or 3 Vendée Globe ago, I am not sure where the innovation is!

My sailboat was built in 1981.  It was designed in 1967.  It is based on a wooden sailboat designed in 1942.  Just about everything Bob Perry presents on this forum seems quite innovative to me.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

But, by all means, spend your free time coming to your hobby site and denigrating the Master’s work. 

What forum might I join where you are posting about your profession/passion so I can endlessly troll you for all your hard and prideful work every time you post? 

You did say that my life wasn't productive, that's denigrating my efforts and offensive. I said that the cutters were good looking but not innovative, that's not denigrating, you can do great stuff without being innovative. Play properly a fugue by Bach, that will be great even if not innovative...

Sorry, you won't have the opportunity to troll me, I don't feel the need to go on eco-construction forums... I go to professional gatherings to exchange with my peers and do a bit of teaching to share with students what I know.

5 minutes ago, captain_crunch said:

My sailboat was built in 1981.  It was designed in 1967.  It is based on a wooden sailboat designed in 1942.  Just about everything Bob Perry presents on this forum seems quite innovative to me.

In St Malo 2 weeks ago, there were hydrofoiling ocean racing boats and a big powerboat powered by hydrogen that is synthetised thanks to solar energy, so the threshold is high for me.

• Like 1

I'm going to "Bah-stin" next month with a few sailing friends to see the Herreshoff exhibit at MIT, and then the Herreshoff Museum in Bristol, RI. I've been to the Bristol museum before and can't wait to go again. So... I thought I would post this lovely example of an H-28, not an NGH but an LFH:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1951/herreshoff-h-28-3238710/

The bowsprit is not according to the plans, bit the ketch rig and deckhouse look pretty original. I understand that LFH later offered a sloop rig plan.

image.thumb.png.48e433fa7c2ed00ed0c073fe4ac92826.png

• Like 2

Here is a still of some S class boats on Narragansett Bay that I got from YouTube. (Painting to follow.) I love the big main and small jib. One has a companionway hatch, the other doesn't. Vive la difference!

image.thumb.png.323b5ea6d4142b172b67ff72150a6f6a.png

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Here is a still of some S class boats on Narragansett Bay that I got from YouTube. (Painting to follow.) I love the big main and small jib. One has a companionway hatch, the other doesn't. Vive la difference!

image.thumb.png.323b5ea6d4142b172b67ff72150a6f6a.png

Bull, I spent my youth racing those. For a time the bulk of the Narragansett Bay fleet was moored in front of my mom's house. At this year's Herreshoff Regatta I was pleasantly surprised to find several old friends still skippering in the class. If you are ever in RI in the summer, buzz me, I may be able to get you a ride. They are magical boats. Drive one of those, then drive Restive. It could be fun.

OK. Frankly I have had enough of this horse shit. This is supposed to be about nice boats that we admire. If some one has a picayune issue with someone who may or not be promoting themselves or their expertise or their knowledge or their innovative ideas, let's not get into another pissing contest about it.

Bob Perry has been a successful designer for longer than some of you have been out of diapers (sorry, Bob). He has credibility around here. He is open to an honest discussion and has been a complete gentleman. If you can't deal with that, find some place else to vent about it, because most of us find these attacks to be extremely tedious. 

Now can we get back on topic?

• Like 7
12 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Bull, I spent my youth racing those. For a time the bulk of the Narragansett Bay fleet was moored in front of my mom's house. At this year's Herreshoff Regatta I was pleasantly surprised to find several old friends still skippering in the class. If you are ever in RI in the summer, buzz me, I may be able to get you a ride. They are magical boats. Drive one of those, then drive Restive. It could be fun.

Cruisin, I now have a bucket list. I spent the early 70s driving a tin can in and out of Narragansett Bay. This looks like a hell of a lot more fun. 

B.C.

7 minutes ago, Jammer Six said:

Soon. As long as he doesn't pollute a decent thread (and it was, it was) with self promotion, his problems are all on the other side of the Sound from me, and that's far enough.

My dad would be almost 114 years old if he were still living, and after I attained the age of 21, he became a pretty wise man. Had he read your most recent post, he would have said, "Even an amoeba learns."

Grow up, man.

4 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

So stop aggravating the situation yourself!  You referred to me with this weird "ProA" spelling, did you not?   Simply because I voted 'Like' on a comment that makes perfect sense and wasn't particularly personal.  Until you made it so.

These troll incidents blow up because so many jump in trying to defend and "clean up", but only muddying the water and throwing salt on old wounds.  Own it.

If you post stuff in this place that makes you sound like a self pitying wounded bear then you have painted a great big "Kick Me" sign on yourself.

You should have learned that within your first 10 or 12 posts.

• Like 1