• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Adagio just started the Port Huron to Mackinaw race In her 52'nd year of racing. First large wood-epoxy boat boat built without fasteners. She rates faster than the Santa Cruz 70's.

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Does it come with a codpiece?  And I can easily singlehand or cruise with the wife and no crew. I say that a lot when I see an exotic, beautiful car, or a mansion that is just too f'n big

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Stiletto.

484266_33c0817f97e074e6.jpg.a95ada0bce7a177bea770db4822a373a.jpg

484266_2cf2a04bac11893e.thumb.jpg.246fc58d49a6c0150b4531c0557fa9b1.jpg

209011212_3590(2).jpg.3e80043dd0bb24395216688665ec9270.jpg

She was from our home port and I always used to refer to her as “the boat I will one day own”. By the time she came on the market we were committed elsewhere. The design brief included “standing headroom for a bottle of gin”. Beautiful, from every angle. Engineless except for an outboard hung over the side. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Got married 35 years ago and Priscilla came on the market the day we left for foreign shores.

Never really ever wanted any other yacht or wife.

Dreams do come true.

343B6839-AF4A-46E3-BDC9-6277CA571E97.jpeg.f81ae171e1d0272e249b76bda1f79cc2.jpeg

what she is?

On 3/31/2019 at 12:57 AM, paps49 said:

I stumbled on this today, I think it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

http://www.pagetraditionalboats.com/burma.htm

1AE7.jpg

BurmaLayout.jpg

Hah! "Crew berth" appears to be in the engine room under the cockpit deck.

As good a place as any to plan a mutiny.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Priscilla said:

There is varnish and then there is varnish I suppose just like orgasms.

IMHO it tends to look plasticated when done to this level.

953260258_gutland_18003_1(1).thumb.jpg.07f5c90d493c3d6c667979237775a794.jpg

However the yacht on my orgasm scale rates in the ten gallon testicle range.

gutland_18003_2.thumb.jpg.6ac3d7e157c1e29ad66cb6485bbf3bef.jpg

dsc_0370.thumb.jpg.eb67b6d3ab7bb97ae99bddab6c018284.jpg

dsc_0372.thumb.jpg.7838fe32323cd3520caca60ae6df1c2e.jpg

gutland_18003_6.thumb.jpg.f348b3bede289d4589535dcae108a784.jpg

How can they bear to get that thing wet?

This is an interesting cruise boat, a Joe Adams meter boat built thirty years ago, but still out there as far as fast cruisers go

https://www.sydneymarinebrokerage.com/listing/adams-radford-16-4

I have a 36’ version without the raised deck forward, built a couple of years before this one.

The 16.4 would be a spectacular boat for long distance cruising.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

This is an interesting cruise boat, a Joe Adams meter boat built thirty years ago, but still out there as far as fast cruisers go

I have a 36’ version without the raised deck forward, built a couple of years before this one.

Very nice looking boat. At the risk of being burned for heresy, I thought it would benefit hugely from some hull ports artfully placed in the raised deck area.

Edit: They should hire a still photographer with a wide-angle lens next time. Really difficult to get an idea of the flow when all you see are chunks.

Edit again to add the video.

Edited by Ishmael
bitch whine complain
33 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

Yes please. I like very much. What an extraordinarily hygienic interior!

41 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Very nice looking boat. At the risk of being burned for heresy, I thought it would benefit hugely from some hull ports artfully placed in the raised deck area.

Edit: They should hire a still photographer with a wide-angle lens next time. Really difficult to get an idea of the flow when all you see are chunks.

Edit again to add the video.

The interior pics are not as cropped in this listing Ish

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/adams-radford-16-4/229400

• Like 1
1 hour ago, olaf hart said:

That is a FINE looking vessel!

20 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

BurmaLayout.jpg

Hah! "Crew berth" appears to be in the engine room under the cockpit deck.

As good a place as any to plan a mutiny.

The owner already has a contingency for that:

114.jpg

As far as I am concerned, all boats should have swivel guns.   It would liven up windless days.

- Stumbling

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

what she is?

Alan Smith 32.

Basically a antipodean version of a Holman Pye  Rustler 31 via the Twister via the Folkboat.

All wood and and all good 50 plus years on.

Fantastic sea boat , feather weight helm and entrancingling balanced.

D434BEB4-6C61-4389-B91F-1B06652E0BD6.thumb.jpeg.57f92a219e8eb4995536df786a0615e4.jpeg

• Like 5

Going to bang on here .

There are boats and then there are boats.

Through my journey of life I have known most probably more happy boats than persons.

I grew up on a boat sailed boats all my life dreamt of boats fantasied about boats could never consider a life without a boat.

My wife reasonably reasons I am a fool.

Latira Barrot backed her family yacht Sina down a raging southern ocean tempest to pluck her husband Noel from icey seas and commented someone had to save this fool of a man that cannot think of anything but yachts.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

The owner already has a contingency for that:

114.jpg

As far as I am concerned, all boats should have swivel guns.   It would liven up windless days.

- Stumbling

Great for dealing with moronic jet skiers buzzing you.

And those pesky port/starboard infractions.

• Like 2

Sweet - but it needs portholes a couple of orders of magnitude larger.

Clipper bowed double enders rarely look right but that one does. Rhodes did a big one that looked great (big surprise).

10 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Semi, this one looks all wrong to me, at least above the sheer line.

I think as said above, larger portholes would work, and perhaps a cabin about half the height at the back. Looks small enough that it might be a little cramped afterwards though

31 minutes ago, Vaeredil said:

I think as said above, larger portholes would work, and perhaps a cabin about half the height at the back. Looks small enough that it might be a little cramped afterwards though

Well, it was the 70s, and we know how bad things were then. The Misery Index (Inflation Rate + Unemployment Rate) to say nothing of men's fashions:

image.png.ee31dce8a82e9ec344b1028cf53ca579.png

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Trying too hard to be cute, I would  say. The clipper bow is exaggerated, as is the sheer, and not a good match for the stern. It's hard to imagine that the hand that drew the curvy profile also drew the boxy house or picked the too-small ports.

8 minutes ago, Bull City said:

^^ So we should probably burn it and the designer.

I suspect it's a little late for burning either.

Although the designer could be an 87-year old misanthrope who still lives on that boat and hangs out in PA.

56 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Well, it was the 70s, and we know how bad things were then. The Misery Index (Inflation Rate + Unemployment Rate) to say nothing of men's fashions:

The music was interesting from what I gather :

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

Men's fashion back then was a major component of the Misery Index.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Men's fashion back then was a major component of the Misery Index.

I sold Carnaby fashion as a part time job while going to university. Sometimes I had to show up in uniform for whatever English class I was mostly ignoring, and the room would break out in applause. The nuns were very appreciative. True story.

10 hours ago, SemiSalt said:
12 hours ago, Bull City said:

Trying too hard to be cute, I would  say. The clipper bow is exaggerated, as is the sheer, and not a good match for the stern. It's hard to imagine that the hand that drew the curvy profile also drew the boxy house or picked the too-small ports.

I agree with all of that, which leads me to wonder what it's doing in this thread?

I'll pitch in and admire the boom length but really don't find it all that cool or admirable. It's like someone built one of Bob's cartoons. They're not supposed to be built.

40 minutes ago, Importunate Tom said:

I agree with all of that, which leads me to wonder what it's doing in this thread?

I'll pitch in and admire the boom length but really don't find it all that cool or admirable. It's like someone built one of Bob's cartoons. They're not supposed to be built.

It looks more like someone took one of those bargain basement wooden boat decoration models, like from Pier 1 Imports and said,"I can make a boat from this model!"   And poof, there it is...

- Stumbling

1 hour ago, Importunate Tom said:
12 hours ago, SemiSalt said:
13 hours ago, Bull City said:

Bob's cartoon boats would be difficult to put in 3D and come out right, but at leas they'd look like they were supposed to be boats.

The bow is really the only decent part of this boat. The rest looks like a Dr Seuss cartoon, and not in a good way. Out of proportion, doesn't match the rest, ungainly...... just not good, all over. Beautiful wood grain, though

FB- Doug

On 4/6/2019 at 4:27 AM, Priscilla said:

Alan Smith 32.

Basically a antipodean version of a Holman Pye  Rustler 31 via the Twister via the Folkboat.

All wood and and all good 50 plus years on.

Fantastic sea boat , feather weight helm and entrancingling balanced.

Beautiful boat. Did you ever write for the J. Peterman catalogue? :P

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

I think it deserves some credit for being a real cutter with the mast well back in the boat, even though that's probably a bad place for it with respect to cabin accommodation.

1 hour ago, SemiSalt said:

I think it deserves some credit for being a real cutter with the mast well back in the boat, even though that's probably a bad place for it with respect to cabin accommodation.

Semi, let's call it a "senior moment," and I've had plenty, and move on. :lol:

So... how about them Cavaliers? :)

10 hours ago, Black Sox said:

A Flemish Fetish???

At least an obsession. How long do you think it take to do all of those? Would you do it after every tack?

6 minutes ago, Bull City said:

At least an obsession. How long do you think it take to do all of those? Would you do it after every tack?

After the second tack everything is on the floor regardless.

2 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

I like it as well in quirky sort of way. 

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

AFAIK Flemishing is only done to mooring lines.

On 4/8/2019 at 8:59 PM, SloopJonB said:

AFAIK Flemishing is only done to mooring lines.

I am looking at new wire/rope halyards and they come with a Flemish thingamajig for the snap shackles. Not disregarding you comment, though. There are some cool videos on YouTube about those type of things. 

Jim

• Like 1
6 hours ago, woahboy said:

I am looking at new wire/rope halyards and they come with a Flemish thingamajig for the snap shackles. Not disregarding you comment, though. There are some cool videos on YouTube about those type of things. 

Jim

Time to start practicing the flemish thingamajig. The folks on youtube make it look like a piece of cake. 

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

God's way of telling you that you have too much money.

I thought that cocaine was an indicator for that? At least that's what Robin Williams used to say. 

• Like 2

Another picture from about 1970. I don't remember where it was taken, but I'm guessing somewhere in mid-coast Maine.

I also forget the builder, but this is a cruising sailboat in Friendship sloop style.  About 30's long, but the interior is not spacious, because the Friendships were not shaped for it. Higher freeboard and a much bigger cabin than any real Friendship.

Friendship Cruiser.jpg

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

Another picture from about 1970. I don't remember where it was taken, but I'm guessing somewhere in mid-coast Maine.

I also forget the builder, but this is a cruising sailboat in Friendship sloop style.  About 30's long, but the interior is not spacious, because the Friendships were not shaped for it. Higher freeboard and a much bigger cabin than any real Friendship.

Friendship Cruiser.jpg

Mmmmmmmm.....

(long pause)

Thanks!

FB- Doug

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SemiSalt said:

Friendship Cruiser.jpg

She's a looker for sure!

7 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Only $500K/week to charter. Maybe I'll get a chance to see her in Hobart tomorrow,.

What if I just want to lounge on the deck for an hour?

3 hours ago, woahboy said:

I thought that cocaine was an indicator for that? At least that's what Robin Williams used to say. 

That too - but a major coke habit would be cheap compared to running that monster.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, sbman said:

At $500,000 per week, that comes to about $3,000 per hour. Sounds like an expensive bit of lounging.

Ah, but the value is in what's included for that $3000...

• Like 1
On 4/1/2019 at 5:49 PM, Bob Perry said:

Hulls No. 1 and No. 2 of the carbon fiber cutters snug at home. Hull No. 3 about 85% finished. Hull No. 4 about 15% finished.

47465235582_d2a329778e_k.jpgTwo C F cutters by robert perry, on Flickr

What a stunning, sleek and elegant design. I can't see a single design feature, no matter how small or seemingly "insignificant", that doesn't look rigorously harmonious with the whole. Bob, I'm emailing this pic to my father as I know he'll love seeing more examples of your brilliant designs. 

• Like 5
On 4/10/2019 at 9:48 PM, sam_crocker said:

Or you could buy one of these for the price of a Starbucks coffee soda.  I think it's great if you want to practice the art of knot tying but if you don't have a lot of time on your hands that little lanyard is a nice option.

I had one of those lanyards on my spinnaker halyard shackle, until it got snagged on something, probably the upper swivel of the jib furler, opened, and dropped the spinnaker. It later required all the resourcefulness of two old farts to retrieve the shackle end. Lanyard is gone.

11 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I had one of those lanyards on my spinnaker halyard shackle, until it got snagged on something, probably the upper swivel of the jib furler, opened, and dropped the spinnaker. It later required all the resourcefulness of two old farts to retrieve the shackle end. Lanyard is gone.

That's the reason I only use lanyards with a cow hitch - two separate tails can't catch on anything.

image.png.0ef6ea5ab7c203eadfe0b799501ff8ef.png

Note: It's also called a lanyard hitch for some reason.

• Like 1
On 4/11/2019 at 11:59 AM, woahboy said:

No, it is trying to race a Ducati!

^^^^^ Looking good, my friend. How’s the cat coming along?

5 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

What's all the line on the ceiling?

I think those are for transporting cold drinks and food from the forward galley to the cockpit.

Vim is a B Class Cruising catboat from around 1920. It was restored last year and looks beautiful once again. Same family since new.

Witch is a 2002 A Cat class racing sailboat. 

615AC6E2-856E-4E77-A750-92D685A02FB0.jpeg

3D425059-0DD9-4828-8B07-F983A7D7D57A.jpeg

• Like 2