• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Adagio just started the Port Huron to Mackinaw race In her 52'nd year of racing. First large wood-epoxy boat boat built without fasteners. She rates faster than the Santa Cruz 70's.

My old Schooner "Europe". The first yacht registered under the brand new European Union flag. Baptised  by Princess Grace Kelly of Monaco. We acquired the boat after she went around the world. Thank y

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Veeger said:

Looks like it could be a North Haven Dinghy.... Kris K might know

I like the dead plumb bow. The sheer and topsides look hereshoff to me. Underhung rudder...

16 hours ago, Priscilla said:

1699729602_Sk15K1Trosa2010IMG_0249.thumb.jpeg.c8a6efd973375897b145fcff7aea61c1.jpeg

She lives straight out from the dock in Center Harbor, doesn't she?

• Like 2
On 10/26/2019 at 1:00 AM, Veeger said:

Looks like it could be a North Haven Dinghy.... Kris K might know

That almost looks like it has a coaming which the NH Dinghy does not. But it looks like it from the plumb bow and lines. The NH dinghy sits bow low in the water on a mooring. I think it is the movable ballast to offset the weight of crew. 

865472556_NorthHavenDinghyAldendesign(1of1).thumb.jpg.2bd45ac0f38fc50ce380ce9965ffa675.jpg

Yeah, based on Kris' details, it doesn't quite seem that said subject vessel is a North Haven dinghy.  Similar, but different---unless there were variations between builders for instance in that class.  Thanks for highlighting the subtleties Kris!

On 10/21/2019 at 3:14 PM, maxstaylock said:

That engine is labouring, needs a t foil at stern.

For relatively narrow semi displacement motor boats, it is hard to beat the shape of the good pilot boats. Efficient and really seaworthy.

On 10/29/2019 at 6:02 PM, huey 2 said:

Back to  Margaritaville ....hadnt seen Jimmys boat Sailing

401968-174ac588374dbea6f422246ecfa6bc5d-com-2671862-2ba8e83018bb7d4eb63478bfd7633b1b.jpg

Does the trick for Jimmy and is probably very handy. Some homes are like that.

I’m struggling with ‘cool’ though but I’d settle for ‘useful ‘

6 hours ago, Trickypig said:

How about ugly?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Trickypig said:

For the Caribbean, the surf ski and board storage on the roof is pretty sweet.  That’s cool.  But it isn’t pretty.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

How about ugly?

I'd rather see that boat on the horizon than just about any modern powerboat. I'm not fond of most cruising cats either, by the way and find that they can really kill the aesthetic buzz of a nice anchorage.

10 hours ago, Trickypig said:

People say much the same about MacGregors.

They look kinda similar too now that I think about it.

I imagine that boat looks a whole lot better from onboard - I can think of a few ugly boats where that is the case.

None of them cost a $million though.

2 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

I'd rather see that boat on the horizon than just about any modern powerboat. 

I beg to differ. I would rather see this on the horizon:

5a7c7781d4093_bristol32star.thumb.jpg.f5a6af97c3b921cba200efc639572add.jpg

Than this:

mac26.jpeg.319a76ca0a683d81c852c66fc3c5db55.jpeg

• Like 6
On 10/29/2019 at 1:02 AM, huey 2 said:

Back to  Margaritaville ....hadnt seen Jimmys boat Sailing

401968-174ac588374dbea6f422246ecfa6bc5d-com-2671862-2ba8e83018bb7d4eb63478bfd7633b1b.jpg

From a SE U.S. perspective, where sport fishing is big, and sandbar hanging out is big (variable draft), Jimmy's boat is the coolest. It needs a trick crows nest slash tuna tower that is ultra low profile and easy enough to get up to, then it'll be so cool it'll burn your eyes out. Personally, I think it's good looking too.

• Like 2

I beg to differ. I would rather see this on the horizon:

5a7c7781d4093_bristol32star.thumb.jpg.f5a6af97c3b921cba200efc639572add.jpg

I don't like the sheer or the bow. Try this, Bunker and Ellis "Jericho"

jericho-bunker-and-ellis.thumb.jpg.fbc9f37338b3e7732f2de7482f7d6d2f.jpg

jericho-exterior-photos-9.thumb.jpg.144bef31235f41f2cc86aa6eeb7fbcce.jpg

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

People say much the same about MacGregors.

They look kinda similar too now that I think about it.

I imagine that boat looks a whole lot better from onboard - I can think of a few ugly boats where that is the case.

None of them cost a $million though.

You just HAD to say the M word. 

I suppose they could be ‘useful’ ... as landfill 

Spring in full swing down under. Wooden boat festival in Pittwater. My favourite boat by far is Lucy. Built by a couple from the ground up to a Ed Burnett design with a nod to Harrison Butler lines. She is ‘proper skookum’ and everything about her build and fit out is perfection to my senses. 

7A47F788-B98A-465B-89DE-4C745FF2AE15.jpeg

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Spring in full swing down under. Wooden boat festival in Pittwater. My favourite boat by far is Lucy. Built by a couple from the ground up to a Ed Burnett design with a nod to Harrison Butler lines. She is ‘proper skookum’ and everything about her build and fit out is perfection to my senses. 

7A47F788-B98A-465B-89DE-4C745FF2AE15.jpeg

Nice boat but I'm too old for a gangplank the size of a tongue depressor.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I don't like the sheer or the bow. Try this, Bunker and Ellis "Jericho"

jericho-bunker-and-ellis.thumb.jpg.fbc9f37338b3e7732f2de7482f7d6d2f.jpg

jericho-exterior-photos-9.thumb.jpg.144bef31235f41f2cc86aa6eeb7fbcce.jpg

Cruisin', I like them both. Maybe different "missions" make for different boats, i.e. one a "fast" cruiser, one derived from a venerable working boat.

2 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Another photo from the www. 

EB26746D-052C-442E-9CC8-EDD0BE8E4433.jpeg

A beautiful "go anywhere" boat. Just not on starboard tack.:o 

BTW, what are those straps around the man's knees?

• Like 1

Cruisin', I like them both. Maybe different "missions" make for different boats, i.e. one a "fast" cruiser, one derived from a venerable working boat.

I'm guessing that Jericho might be faster. I've seen her dialed up, she's a gorgeous, classic beast.

i just think that the "fast cruiser" would have been just as fast with a prettier bow and sheer.

1 hour ago, kimbottles said:

Lifelines in front of him.

I think you're right, thoughvit does look strange.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Sock garters?

That's what I thought.

38 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I'm guessing that Jericho might be faster. I've seen her dialed up, she's a gorgeous, classic beast.

i just think that the "fast cruiser" would have been just as fast with a prettier bow and sheer.

Vive la différence!

• Like 1
On 10/25/2019 at 9:27 AM, Cruisin Loser said:

Looked a little spacious to be a 60'. The wife will just have to continue roughing it on our current boat. The inlay on the cabin sole to the right looks like a big tick.

I believe that is Cthulhu.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1Zf2NlC-OoBfSMVzThve

Smart move, really. I mean ... you're hanging out with the fam at your private Seychelles island when His Squidness drags his vast dead bulk over the taffrail. You can had him a julep & show him this stylized marquetry portrait of Himself, ask him how things are going down in R'lyeh, private equity soul eating business been good, that sort of small talk.

Cheap insurance if you ask me. Elder Gods cannot be bargained with, but flattery  might work.

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Smart move, really. I mean ... you're hanging out with the fam at your private Seychelles island when His Squidness drags his vast dead bulk over the taffrail. You can had him a julep & show him this stylized marquetry portrait of Himself, ask him how things are going down in R'lyeh, private equity soul eating business been good, that sort of small talk.

Cheap insurance if you ask me. Elder Gods cannot be bargained with, but flattery  might work.

I prefer this version.

raf,750x1000,075,t,9ec0d5_0d26d5c715.u3.jpg

The odd things you find in PA...

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Cthulhu is from my home town. I don't know him, but I don't think the inlay is him, I'm sticking with bigass Prudence Island deer tick.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Is Sophie a Bruce King design?

Looks like a sister of his personal boat Unicorn.

Actually I didn’t check as I’m pretty certain she is. 

I tried to google that when I got home but nothing on the www. 

Id bet my house though.

6 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

I saw it when under construction In Tas, by the owners,  several years ago. V cosy (ie cramped?) below.

Funny thing is.... she has the scale of a bigger boat but 40 foot is what she is. I swore she was longer. 

Very liveable though they did say the shower was on deck :)

14 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Cthulhu is from my home town. I don't know him, but I don't think the inlay is him, I'm sticking with bigass Prudence Island deer tick.

Now there's a high school yearbook page I'd love to see: "Most likely to bring about the End of All Things. Dread Club (1-4), Lurking (1-4), Pep/Cult (Captain)"

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Funny thing is.... she has the scale of a bigger boat but 40 foot is what she is. I swore she was longer. 

Very liveable though they did say the shower was on deck :)

The owner didn't want fresh water sloshing around belowdecks; that's what fibreglass and epoxy are for......

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

8876F014-852B-46BD-96CF-594AEBC706A5.thumb.jpeg.cd7b96d2755a7dfdc4c6cb9edfdc9422.jpeg
Have not seen joints on a sprung teak deck like this before.

95C70E90-D6F5-469F-9A87-5800719978E4.thumb.jpeg.6236dd9eca35c2526a4483ffef05bf86.jpeg

F82473DA-4FAB-4545-8B11-F97D3134CB7A.thumb.jpeg.b24d3f6612ca3e301ca68e0df16a08d9.jpeg

I've never seen that. I don't think I like drawing attention to the joints, which that seems to do for my eye. 

This newish deck has the long planks scarfed cut, fitted and glued. Pretty time consuming. I had to zoom in to find them and put a circle around one. They didn't want to see much caulking either using a similar color to the gray decking. 

1538487610_Marileedecksaft.thumb.jpg.c65723836737704d49d8766b9cf9ed25.jpg

A more traditional way is to simply butt them with a caulk space. Simpler than the boat above and less visible to the eye I think. 

737986805_Brillaintnewdecks(1of1).thumb.jpg.fc44205f1cf97e6697ee3f0e5dd8c9d7.jpg

I threw in this old Rhodes below because I love this deck and the boat reminds me of the mystery boat in some way. 

Rhodes decks (1 of 1).jpg

What I find very interesting is the completely different kind of woods they used for building, such as spotted gum.

I had never heard of it before, only of the "northern hemisphere" woods such as oak, mahogany (well, you get my point, please, I know it doesn't grow it in Sweden...) etc...

9 hours ago, Matagi said:

What I find very interesting is the completely different kind of woods they used for building, such as spotted gum.

I had never heard of it before, only of the "northern hemisphere" woods such as oak, mahogany (well, you get my point, please, I know it doesn't grow it in Sweden...) etc...

The magnificent Pohutukawa English translation "Sprinkled by Spray" used mainly as grown knees in classic boatbuilding.

Hard as buggery to work but damned strong lumber.

Interestingly closely related to the Olive.

PohutukawaCornwallis.thumb.jpg.e9f61064966d02e2ad573190dbd72ca5.jpg

images.jpg.d27fb48422be5341022cfb3a58424804.jpg

• Like 6
11 hours ago, Matagi said:

Spotted gum (corymbia maculata) is a very common tree along the E coast of Oz, and a common boatbuilding timber for framing, etc. We have several large ones in our garden, so named from their mottled bark, which it sheds every year (doing it now). They also have a shallow root ball, so prone to falling over in high winds!

Spotted gum.jpg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Priscilla said:

For some cool for others not so cool.

250 years ago the Endeavour rocked up to Aotearoa NZ and crickey now she is back.

20191107-_dhw7403.thumb.jpg.d1112ee75807d48dafe69978f0bb8537.jpg

20191107-_dhw7479.thumb.jpg.635c3e732357c5fb117e1dc47590e664.jpg

20191106-_dhw7463.thumb.jpg.664315b7fbdcea23365f1dec37d563cc.jpg

British tourists!

Probably been a little busy hitting all the other hot spots in the past 250 years.  

Hell, they had to built a fresh Endeavor on which to make their grand return...

- Stumbling 

2 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

British tourists!

Probably been a little busy hitting all the other hot spots in the past 250 years.  

- Stumbling 

Well, the last one had this great gaping hole in the bottom. It wouldn't do for a second visit to the Great Barrier Reef which, if present trends continue, should not pose a threat to any future tourists, being completely dead and such.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Spotted gum (corymbia maculata) is a very common tree along the E coast of Oz, and a common boatbuilding timber for framing, etc. We have several large ones in our garden, so named from their mottled bark, which it sheds every year (doing it now). They also have a shallow root ball, so prone to falling over in high winds!

Spotted gum.jpg

Is it super hard and super heavy?

The only "gumwood" I've ever used was both - to extremes

4 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

British tourists!

- Stumbling 

Yup , tours are arranged by Mercury Transit Travel once every 250 years.

Online bookings for 2269 are now being taken.

https://www.space.com/mercury-transit-2019-has-begun.html?jwsource=cl

• Like 2
13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Is it super hard and super heavy?

The only "gumwood" I've ever used was both - to extremes

Most  "gums" are heavy and hard, spotted gum is one of the heavier (sg~1.1), also hard and durable. There are hundreds of species in the eucalypt genus, lots of them good for boatbuilding.

I liked this boat. It's 82' long (which isn't what I like) but looks lower and sleeker than the 40 something footer next to it.

Low house, low freeboard and wide decks. 2002 Swan AQUILA charters for 25K/week. The other thing I liked is it sailed into Frenchboro 7-8 NM off Acadia National Park (background).

The button now pushed, the towering main is rolling up into the boom. 

1398433603_FrenchborobigboatAcadiabackground.thumb.jpg.60a52514efc9efcc304b1e7295797b85.jpg

The next day, they again went off under sail. Down wind likely to MDI, they pushed the other sail button and unrolled the genoa. Daysailer?

2070880590_Frenchborobigsailboat.thumb.jpg.7ad5d69d27a3cd80c586f4131576bd47.jpg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

I liked this boat. It's 82' long (which isn't what I like) but looks lower and sleeker than the 40 something footer next to it.

Low house, low freeboard and wide decks. 2002 Swan AQUILA charters for 25K/week. The other thing I liked is it sailed into Frenchboro 7-8 NM off Acadia National Park (background).

The button now pushed, the towering main is rolling up into the boom. 

1398433603_FrenchborobigboatAcadiabackground.thumb.jpg.60a52514efc9efcc304b1e7295797b85.jpg

The next day, they again went off under sail. Down wind likely to MDI, they pushed the other sail button and unrolled the genoa. Daysailer?

2070880590_Frenchborobigsailboat.thumb.jpg.7ad5d69d27a3cd80c586f4131576bd47.jpg

Vive les boutons!

• Like 3

Was lucky to have Robert Perry as a guest speaker at a local CCA lunch complete with thumb drive visuals.  Talk about lots of cool boats to admire, really amazing how many different genres of cruising, racing, power boats he has drawn and his early hand drafted drawings are beautiful objects de art.

• Like 5