5 hours ago, Matagi said:

Ha, cool. That's a topic for a whole new thread: What tasks to give to kids so they don't stand in the way / lose us the race / kill themselves :)

Is this yawl a myth buster, too? It seems the mizzen telltales are all streaming aft, nicely.

But she is a yawl sailing close hauled.

Can't be possible (dirty air from the main so they say), the telltales must be phony (likely painted on) . :)

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Adagio just started the Port Huron to Mackinaw race In her 52'nd year of racing. First large wood-epoxy boat boat built without fasteners. She rates faster than the Santa Cruz 70's.

Does it come with a codpiece?  And I can easily singlehand or cruise with the wife and no crew. I say that a lot when I see an exotic, beautiful car, or a mansion that is just too f'n big

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

Is this yawl a myth buster, too? It seems the mizzen telltales are all streaming aft, nicely.

Can't be possible (dirty air from the main so they say), the telltales must be phony (likely painted on) . :)

Sailmakers do that so it looks pretty while hanging on your rig!  Makes them more money.

- Stumbling

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

Amazing stuff:

SPRAY-STARCH-14-OZ-AEROSOL-HOME-BRIGHT.j

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

Very interesting observation. I think that similar to Dorade, they keep the mizzen just for balancing purposes, drop it once it becomes useless.

However, you seem to have a good point here, in the pic below, there seems to be flow attached, especially at the bottom of the mizzen.

The farther away the trailing edge of the main, the more turbulent or the "wider" the whirl, probably. Possibly, the gap is narrow enough at the bottom for the flow to re-attach?

Has this been windtunnel-tested? Maybe if you have a gaff or a squaretop-main to narrow the distance between main trailing edge and mizzen leading edge, you would be up to something? Would be nice to see a tunnel test of this. Of course, this is just a snapshot, in choppy water, could be a coincidence.

Nice shot though.

f451e54b3e2ed4e376194165f942cf8b?width=1

34 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I noticed the boat had two black bands on the mizzen boom, and found this image with white sails. So it must have at least two ratings.

blac-hops-test-sail.jpg

And it looks like the main will backwind the mizzen on occasion.

yysw275159.jpg

Someone needs to wake the mizzen children and have them pump the boom to reset the battens to the new board!

- Stumbling

With the mizzen boom on the centerline, any "lift" generated by the sail is mostly to leeward. And there is substantial drag. You can make a mizzen look pretty without getting a lot of aerodynamic benefit. Balancing the helm can be a big benefit,  though

Tyler Fields works for Ballentine's, he's taken nearly all of my favorite shots of my previous and current boats. A lovely guy.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Matagi said:

Empress of Blandings, was nominee for Classicboat of the Year Award. New Built category.

blandings.jpg

Looks a lot like an Aage, but is owner designed

Lovely boat, but the name?? The "Empress of Blandings" was an eccentric lord's spoiled pig in a series of P.G. Wodehouse stories. I guess because the pig was a prize-winner?

FB- Doug

I admire this one from Tad Roberts on FB because it had to be darn fast for 1919.

Zipper II, originally launched as Altonia in 1919. Designed and built by Purdy. 42' x 9' with twin 250 HP Sterling Petrel gas engines. The aft cabin is all engine room with big exhaust pipes running down the middle. I wonder if the curved windshield was original or a later modification, if original they were a long way ahead in the styling department.

81192287_2534025603587368_50088395827042

The engine room is pretty Admirable.

81038013_2534025956920666_52643681809433

And so is that big ol' rutter.

81384897_2534026026920659_16950939266685

The cool part is that the builder's grandson showed up on the FB post with a 1920 photo of the boat. Looks like it had a little forward cockpit with an ugly little windshield. I guess the ability to get far away from twin 250 hp engines is Admirable.

80634968_10219202200960050_5335711960006

On 12/30/2019 at 2:15 AM, Matagi said:

Empress of Blandings, was nominee for Classicboat of the Year Award. New Built category.

blandings.jpg

Looks a lot like an Aage, but is owner designed

I wish the field of view were wider. Aside from the beauty of the boat, the sun light is just lovely, and you can see a puff coming from starboard. In a few moments, she will heel a little, pick up a few knots speed, and you'll hear the gurgle of the water.

• Like 3

Northern Rose, also Aage Nielsen inspired. Currently looking for a new owner, as it seems.

I always like to keep my boat and I also hope my boat likes to keep me, so looking at Empress and this one, the only thing I'd like to see added are handrails.

7004781_20190325065835192_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Bull City said:

We are doing some steaming on the Grain Surfboard Project - sissy towels and clothes iron - not manly steel tubes.

I made a steam box from 1x6's and a kettle. Bent 1/4" X 4" oak into a 14" diameter half circle, glued up 4 layers, still stable after 30+ years.

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:
11 hours ago, Bull City said:

We are doing some steaming on the Grain Surfboard Project - sissy towels and clothes iron - not manly steel tubes.

I made a steam box from 1x6's and a kettle. Bent 1/4" X 4" oak into a 14" diameter half circle, glued up 4 layers, still stable after 30+ years.

Large diameter pipe, could even be corrugated, makes a great steam box. Tilt it, kettle spout into one end, towel draped over the other end, wait a while.

FB- Doug

17 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

I sense there is a fight going on in this area of Nielsen plank on frame double enders.  This is asking a lot of wood. 

466348562_Fernstern(1of1).thumb.jpg.d40acb4d42171f3d96dbe96f8221f37b.jpg

And the builders do know their stuff. EB White's, FERN. 

85633760_Fern(1of1).thumb.jpg.92d8a0f8c8793366eb27106a22cd56be.jpg

Yes, he liked it bended at the back. Look at Holger Danske's lines plan or Snow Star (which I would marry, if it was legal).

N323-F-900.jpg

Snow%20Star_1.jpg

The planks would be following the diagonals, more or less. 

There was an article in Woodenboat, probably decades ago by now, that explained that the end of a plank is always going to be straight because the lever arm you need to bend it goes to nothing as you approach the end. 

2 hours ago, Matagi said:

Yes, he liked it bended at the back. Look at Holger Danske's lines plan or Snow Star (which I would marry, if it was legal).

N323-F-900.jpg

Snow%20Star_1.jpg

WOW!  that is a good looking boat!!  needs a tiller, but otherwise is gorgeous.

On 1/1/2020 at 3:19 AM, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

I admire this one from Tad Roberts on FB because it had to be darn fast for 1919.

81192287_2534025603587368_50088395827042

The engine room is pretty Admirable.

81038013_2534025956920666_52643681809433

And so is that big ol' rutter.

81384897_2534026026920659_16950939266685

The cool part is that the builder's grandson showed up on the FB post with a 1920 photo of the boat. Looks like it had a little forward cockpit with an ugly little windshield. I guess the ability to get far away from twin 250 hp engines is Admirable.

80634968_10219202200960050_5335711960006

Looks like she is still ready to make a run to the Bahamas to pick up a load of liquor for "medicinal purposes"...

- Stumbling

Very cool. The whole time I was reading the text I was fearing it would not end well aka then it was finished and the next day he died. But it didn't, which makes me happy. A beautiful boat. Here is another self-built project. The builder is a professional, he built her for himself, though. Marie Zoe the name.

nico-martinez8-633x342.jpg

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Orion Jim said:

Pretty boat but what’s up with the wiring all over the interior.....I’ve heard of ease of access but this is ridiculous. 

good point. master carpenter perhaps - but non-gifted electrician? also, I was so busy admiring the woodwork did not even notice that. quite funny really, just goes to show what googly eyes does for ones vision..

Floater,

I own her sister. The Wylie you posted was built somewhere near Berkeley. Malaya was built in Subic Bay. Both are cold molded but 2 different builders and Malaya has a shorter cabin and flush fore deck. I had spoken to the builder of her sister her original name was Cetacean. Both boats are solid and relativity fast, I've had Malaya moving over 14 knts. with plain sails.

FXB_4358small.jpg

• Like 1

Yup.

Hull is 5/8' square cut Douglas Fir over frames 3.5' spacing then 4 courses of 1/8" mahogany. Mine then has additional material from waterline to keelson, as thick as 8"

• Like 1

Rasputin,

Did you also know John, the builder of Malaya, she was commissioned in Vajello. Story was mine was built in the submarine yard at Subic, but Officials asked that she be removed from that base prior to completion and she was shipped back to Cali. I'm the second owner. It would be really cool to see these two together.

oops Rasp, thought you were referring to the builder of the Wylie

1 minute ago, Malaya said:

Rasputin,

Did you also know John, the builder of Malaya, she was commissioned in Vajello. Story was mine was built in the submarine yard at Subic, but Officials asked that she be removed from that base prior to completion and she was shipped back to Cali. I'm the second owner. It would be really cool to see these two together.

The Marco Polo I know is down in the Caribbean and homeported in Nevis for many years. Named STAR now and I do remember the owner talking about how heavily built the boat was. He spoke fondly of the builder but don't know how he ended up with a West Coast boat since he was a New England yacht captain transplanted to the Islands. Wild and crazy guy he was back in the day.

1808810297_PsychoSteve.thumb.jpg.57dd91d5b8c93969e2ed343c796d0c88.jpg

Pardon me asking, Jo, but is this some rare form of Tourette or something?

Jo is a one-trick pony. Peter Radclyffe seems to be his/her go-to on almost any subject.

Be glad he/she didn't say anything, that's even more confusing.

Hmmm ok. thanks. Didn't mean to offend anyone with real medical issues, though...

Here, that is not a coolboat per se, but a very cool video. Jeff is third mate on a Cosco vessel and does these fantastic timelapse videos. It's awesome.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Matagi said:

Hmmm ok. thanks. Didn't mean to offend anyone with real medical issues, though...

Here, that is not a coolboat per se, but a very cool video. Jeff is third mate on a Cosco vessel and does these fantastic timelapse videos. It's awesome.

That -is- very cool, thanks!

FB- Doug

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Send whoever drew that boat back to How to design a sheerline 101.

Or at least flog the flunky who drew that teak cove. My brain stopped. What the hell do you call that, besides awful?

• 2 weeks later...

I think we need some resuscitaiton here. And I also feel some guilt, regarding my last proposal. But wait for it, there's more.

87296327-hXsnn.png

The (possibly former) owner's daughter is a very talented Swedish jazz singer.

She won a "Grammis" in her category in 2019. Havsmelodi  -as far as my Swedish goes- translates to sea melody. 

I think we need some resuscitaiton here. And I also feel some guilt, regarding my last proposal. But wait for it, there's more.

87296327-hXsnn.png

There is something slightly off about that sheer line - it makes it look like it's down by the stern a little.

Or is it just me?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

There is something slightly off about that sheer line - it makes it look like it's down by the stern a little.

Or is it just me?

That was my feeling also....but she has her bow slightly towards the camera, perhaps that is fooling the eye. I’d like to see a couple more photos.

The May Queen is the oldest sail trading boat in Australia, and traded from 1867 until 1973. Unfortunately, while she still looks the part (though a little hogged), she won't ever be able to be restored to sailing condition.

Image result for may queen hobarttrading_ketches_mmt_p_4221.jpg

10 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

The May Queen is the oldest sail trading boat in Australia, and traded from 1867 until 1973. Unfortunately, while she still looks the part (though a little hogged), she won't ever be able to be restored to sailing condition.

Image result for may queen hobarttrading_ketches_mmt_p_4221.jpg

That photo on the right must have been a great show.

Decades ago, I sailed a schooner with topsails and a main jack-yard topsail... single spar extending from the gaff. It was a powerful reaching sail in light air but there must be trick to setting them, we knocked around like crazy with it and it was always a major PITA and touch-and-go with breaking something.

Here we see main & mizzen jack-yard topsails with an upper spar... lug? I dunno what to call it. But those sailors back then were 1- not lazy and 2- smarter than we might give them credit for

FB- Doug

• Like 2

SAIL WORLD: The Classic Yacht Association staged the annual Mahurangi Regatta on the picturesque Mahurangi Harbour, about 25nm north of Auckland.

One of the earliest settled areas of Auckland, the harbour has changed little over the last 50 years, making a perfect backdrop for the fleet. It is one of several 'gunk-holes' in the Hauraki Gulf that offer an all weather haven.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/226001/Classic-Yachts-Images-from-Mahurangi-Regatta

Pics: RG

yysw279007.jpg

yysw278999.jpg

• Like 1
17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Considering that on a carpentry basis would make me suicidal.

I'm not worthy.

Oh, I don't know.  I think I could do justice to a copy of the boom gallow.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Titaina Explorer, just ancored by us.  Interesting I guess 98' x 45'

IMG_20200212_114021426.jpg

Drawn by a designer who woke up after a really baaaaaaaddd acid trip populated by Darth Vader's storm troopers.

Or maybe that's just me. in which case...

• 2 weeks later...