• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Adagio just started the Port Huron to Mackinaw race In her 52'nd year of racing. First large wood-epoxy boat boat built without fasteners. She rates faster than the Santa Cruz 70's.

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Does it come with a codpiece?  And I can easily singlehand or cruise with the wife and no crew. I say that a lot when I see an exotic, beautiful car, or a mansion that is just too f'n big

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Another view.

Model made by Peter Kunst.

Keith's boat 2.jpg

I seem to recall your Quail design had a stern, fold down swim platform, Bob. Too fiddly to show on a model?

A beautiful model (and design) by the way.

7 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Transom gate.

Jody 7.jpg

Too bad Hinkley didnt go for it.   I think they would have sold a few.

On March 5, 2020 at 3:14 PM, MFH125 said:

Yes. I sail out of Castine.  Love all your pictures on here! Looks like you're located in Brooklin or Sedgewick?

I sail out of Brooklin. CYC was very kind at last year's Castine-Camden and berthed us at their front dock, with Palawan  alongside.

Keith sailed ERR with us in 2018, I think he's now deeply involved in being a great dad to a terrific teenage daughter. 

26 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

Best website on the Internet.

19 hours ago, monsoon said:

BaT is like a second caffeine addiction

A tie with yachtworld. Assuming you use the AU entrance to yw.

Only problem with BaT is the deep pocket bidders. Anything I want goes for waaaay more than I can afford.

3 hours ago, bmiller said:

A tie with yachtworld. Assuming you use the AU entrance to yw.

Only problem with BaT is the deep pocket bidders. Anything I want goes for waaaay more than I can afford.

I feel your pain, I just watched the BMW R60 go for $11K+

7 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I sail out of Brooklin. CYC was very kind at last year's Castine-Camden and berthed us at their front dock, with Palawan  alongside. 

One of my favorite races.  Great beat down the length of Islesboro and a nice little spinnaker run into Camden.  The Camden-to-Brooklin leg with a spinnaker run through the Deer Island Thoroughfare is great too. Glad you guys were well looked after!

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Sheila II ex Adrian Hayter designer Albert Strange Strange.

Didn't Strange design Tally Ho, the subject of Leo's amazing rebuild video series?

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Didn't Strange design Tally Ho, the subject of Leo's amazing rebuild video series?

Yes same guy.

From the Albert Strange Association.

https://albertstrange.org/news-of-sheila-ii/

Albert was a talented artist too.

H0451-L13481936.jpg.5d0344b6b5d84f4fb80a202b39d86b70.jpg

H0298-L119498630.jpg.376872ac885f5724c9d1670484fd6432.jpg

Yum Yum as mentioned in the article although the claim that her restoration is the best example is lost on a sea of magnificent classic yacht restorations completed and underway in the home of the Cup.

349912707_yumyumsepia.jpg.6145265f7911f8f7d607a08936158083.jpg

2146827806_YumYumsailing.jpg.cceab6bbd2e10f6479f0ca2ae36c149d.jpg

• Like 3
5 hours ago, kimbottles said:

I feel your pain, I just watched the BMW R60 go for $11K+

Saw that, but it might have been the nicest R60 anywhere.

More incredible was the all original 240Z that went for $315k.

8 hours ago, Ishmael said:
12 hours ago, monsoon said:

Saw that, but it might have been the nicest R60 anywhere.

More incredible was the all original 240Z that went for $315k.

That's just silly.

"Silly" is a polite way to put it.

- DSK

59 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Anyone who has $300K to spend on a 240Z has way too much money.

Well... after that purchase, they have about $300k less in their 'too much' account.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Anyone who has $300K to spend on a 240Z has way too much money.

My guess is a dealer or distributor who/which can deduct it and use it for promotional purposes. Make a great showroom trophy for a large dealership. 

I ski with a guy who owns ford dealerships in LA. This would be a rounding error in his promotional costs.

In the late 70s, I was looking for a trailerable boat, preferably a catboat. This was one of the designs I was considering. I've forgotten the name of the builder. 

It probably would have been a better idea than the boat I eventually ended up with, but I couldn't convince myself to pay the price, or that the sailing performance would be satisfactory.

Litha.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

In the late 70s, I was looking for a trailerable boat, preferably a catboat. This was one of the designs I was considering. I've forgotten the name of the builder. 

It probably would have been a better idea than the boat I eventually ended up with, but I couldn't convince myself to pay the price, or that the sailing performance would be satisfactory.

Litha.jpg

Very cool

5 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

Litha.jpg

A lot of my 'sketches' these days are along the same concept.  Just bigger 30' something...

Freestanding cat rig, accommodations essentially being in the 'convertible' cockpit dodger/soft/hard top.  Galley in the companionway area (for headroom), head below.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

Litha.jpg

Looks like a Marsh Hen

This is an old ad but has lots of good info and pics of this boat: https://www.sailingtexas.com/smarshhen.html

Never sailed one myself but sailed in company with one a few times. They seem to handle OK a bit weak hard upwind. Dunno what the accommodations are like, the people I knew that had one always slept in their camper van ashore

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Looks like a Marsh Hen

This is an old ad but has lots of good info and pics of this boat: https://www.sailingtexas.com/smarshhen.html

Never sailed one myself but sailed in company with one a few times. They seem to handle OK a bit weak hard upwind. Dunno what the accommodations are like, the people I knew that had one always slept in their camper van ashore

FB- Doug

It looks very similar, if not the same. My recollections don't connect it to Ruben Trane,  but it was a long time ago. I also remember it as being shorter than 17'. I looked to see if I had an old brochure,  but I didn't find one.

13 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

Reuben Trane's reply:

Yes, that is an early Marsh Hen - the first model I built commercially. Her hull is based on Bill Garden’s June Bug.

He would know.

Here's a pic of Garden's "June Bug," fwiw I think the Marsh Hen is prettier... more complex hull shape, to be sure

image.png.397c279172ccbec5e7442a132502fc61.png

I'm glad you heard from him, I met him at a boat show a while back... must be 20+ years ago, and he was no spring chicken then. Interesting and knowledgeable guy, not afraid to try different ideas. At that time he considered the Peep Hen his best boat and was a bit disappointed it had not sold better.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 4:13 AM, SemiSalt said:

Litha.jpg

How do you get forward to access the mast base and fling out your anchor.

Good question. Maybe you have to lower the whole tent. The picture is of a later generation Marsh Hen. It looks like you might be able to kneel right forward and toss the anchor out the front. You wouldn't want to try to crawl out that little opening, around the mast, and onto the postage stamp bow deck. You'd have your choice of falling off or capsizing the boat. 

Or just anchor off the stern.

2020-03-18_1549.png

I agree, she's a looker.  Interestingly however, something seems just a bit 'off'.  At first, I thought it was the freeboard.  But looking closer, I see that actually while the overall freeboard to the cap rail is likely in keeping with the original design, it appears that the actual deck level is higher than normal.  i.e. The height from deck to cap rail is lower than normal, most likely to gain a bit of headroom.   My verdict?  Critical fail.  I'd be unhappy if I'd spent that fortune cuz I want the full intended aesthetic and would not have been willing to sacrifice it.   It might not be so important to others and certainly might be missed by most admirers.    Maybe I'm just feeling critical tonight...

• Like 1
On 2/9/2018 at 10:04 AM, Ed Lada said:

I lived in Korea from 1996-1999.  I sure hope they've upped their game since then.  

The Koreans remind me of the Poles, there are many parallels.  It's like the old saw about;  If you like sausage then don't ever watch them make it...

I am old enough to remember when something said "Made in Japan" that meant it was junk.  That was a few years ago I guess.

I'd worked with and visited several enormous Korean companies in the past, and their fanatical dedication to cost reduction, in my mind, dented their attempts to enhance their quality reputation. As has occurred in Japan, they will ultimately mature into a more-quality and less cost-conscious mode. I hope.

In the meantime, I will still buy iPhones/MacBooks (yes, which are assembled in China, but under draconian supervision and Apple engineering/QA specs. ;-) )

6 hours ago, rattus32 said:

I'd worked with and visited several enormous Korean companies in the past, and their fanatical dedication to cost reduction, in my mind, dented their attempts to enhance their quality reputation. As has occurred in Japan, they will ultimately mature into a more-quality and less cost-conscious mode. I hope.

In the meantime, I will still buy iPhones/MacBooks (yes, which are assembled in China, but under draconian supervision and Apple engineering/QA specs. ;-) )

WOW! A reply to 2+ year old posting, about 35 pages back. Is that a record?

6 hours ago, Bull City said:

WOW! A reply to 2+ year old posting, about 35 pages back. Is that a record?

Naw, just look at Plenipotentary Tom. He dredges stuff up from before there was an internet.

3 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Damn, I love crazy rich people who throw money at these gorgeous yachts.  Severine is a beauty, I hope she gets sailed and not just polished.

Severine was being readied for a trip to the Island but with the present state of affairs will now most probably stay safe in Auckland.

Has a full time skipper aboard so she is in good hands.

Not really. They might like them for a little while but not to stay on.

For the most part chicks like having all the comforts of home - that's why Hunters et. al. are the way they are.

On 3/14/2020 at 1:41 PM, olaf hart said:

And didn’t own one when they were in production...

Our ‘72 rusted to nothing. You could see the ground beneath the drivers floor.

we pulled the fenders, put plywood on the floor and tore up the local dirt roads. That baby could drift.

got $300 credit and paid $300 cash on a 1966 1/2 Riviera (flat back, not torpedo) that came with its own parts car. 

1 hour ago, Russell Brown said:

The chicks we want to hang out with prefer boats that aren't odorless, colorless, and tasteless.

But those kind are rare IME.

3 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Extra gravity in that part of the world?

Isn’t that boat actually in Camden harbor ME?  If not there’s a facsimile moored right off the boat ramp at the turn to the inner harbor. 

40 minutes ago, eliboat said:
4 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Extra gravity in that part of the world?

Isn’t that boat actually in Camden harbor ME?  If not there’s a facsimile moored right off the boat ramp at the turn to the inner harbor. 

Sorry, can't help you there.

• 2 weeks later...

cool video Bull.  Just how strong is a "20 meter per second" wind?  And what happened to that crew member's arm that she had it in a sling?  As for the boat: definitely cool.  Those bow shots from the chase boat really showed just how stunning the caravel planking is.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Matagi said:

If only it would help convert my weight and mass into energy...

We can partially do this by oxidative combustion. But it will require and accelerant and I doubt you'll be happy with the result.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, monsoon said:

We can partially do this by oxidative combustion. But it will require and accelerant and I doubt you'll be happy with the result.

Would that be setting your beer belly on fire?

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, monsoon said:

There are recorded cases of SHC (Spontaneous Human Combustion), but there have been very few since science was invented.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ishmael said:
3 hours ago, monsoon said:

There are recorded cases of SHC (Spontaneous Human Combustion), but there have been very few since science was invented.

Well, there were very few cases, ever. About one every other year reported, since the Middle Ages..

Probably about as many, per capita, since science was invented as before. The problem is, it never happens when there is a scientist watching, with the right measuring equipment. And we're not allowed to try to recreate the conditions for it, on purpose, for research.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_human_combustion

A more entertaining treatment: https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/190/do-people-really-die-from-spontaneous-human-combustion/

Personally, I try to not believe in nutcake theories but part of me wants to believe in Spontaneous Human Combustion. Go out in a blaze of glory!

FB- Doug

43 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, there were very few cases, ever. About one every other year reported, since the Middle Ages..

Probably about as many, per capita, since science was invented as before. The problem is, it never happens when there is a scientist watching, with the right measuring equipment. And we're not allowed to try to recreate the conditions for it, on purpose, for research.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_human_combustion

A more entertaining treatment: https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/190/do-people-really-die-from-spontaneous-human-combustion/

Personally, I try to not believe in nutcake theories but part of me wants to believe in Spontaneous Human Combustion. Go out in a blaze of glory!

FB- Doug

Au contraire, scientists sometimes were heavily involved in those... trials.

220px-The_Burning_of_Master_John_Rogers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_Bruno

• Like 3

Horseshit. Here in west Texas, in summer, spontaneous human combustion is so common that it's no longer newsworthy. The reason the statistics are so low is that most are no longer reported. Why bother? When it's a 105-115 f for weeks on end, people just go POP!, sometimes, and that's it. 

• Like 4