46 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I am in the midst of an experiment: Will two Hebrew National Hot Dogs and Bush's Baked Beans (flavored with brown sugar and pork) initiate Spontaneous Human Combustion?

I'll report later... or not. :o

IMG_5204.jpg.bac87c193f7fb6323b364edefe76ec60.jpg

I think you need to add some diced onions to act as a catalyst. I think that's where the sulfur smell that CL mentioned comes from.

• Like 4
  • Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Check out this centre cockpit, kauri composite 52' Ketch, designed by Laurie Davidson. This boat could have very long legs. For sale in Brisbane, QLD, Australia: https://www.boatsonline.com.au/bo

Finished painting, 

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

I think you need to add some diced onions to act as a catalyst. I think that's where the sulfur smell that CL mentioned comes from.

I should have mentioned that I used Düsseldorf style mustard.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Bugsy said:

Ummm... I hate to be a pedant but chemical reactions preserve mass balance.  That is, the mass at the start is the same at the end. 

To convert mass to energy you need a nuclear reaction.  So you need to convert yourself into nuclear reactor fuel or some such thing.  Apply E = mcc to calculate how much energy you can be converted into.  

This is true. But while the total mass of our system is constant, Matagi's mass prior to combustion will be much greater than his mass after combustion as his carbohydrates are (mostly) converted to gases and heat. Except perhaps for his feet, which, as grotesquely shown above, may remain intact.

19 hours ago, Bull City said:

I am in the midst of an experiment: Will two Hebrew National Hot Dogs and Bush's Baked Beans (flavored with brown sugar and pork) initiate Spontaneous Human Combustion?

Glad to see those with pickle relish and mustard. Ketchup on hot dogs is apostasy. I assume the buns are butter toasted?

Interesting mixing of the buns Bull.  The bun on the left is your standard, while the one on the left appears to be a New England-style model.  Is this your attempt to appeal to a larger constituency?

37 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Glad to see those with pickle relish and mustard. Ketchup on hot dogs is apostasy. I assume the buns are butter toasted?

Cruisin', I am with you on the ketchup, and the butter toasted buns. They are sublime.

The buns had been stashed in our freezer for a while (hence the assorted styles, Huk) and I was afraid they would fall apart if I buttered them.

BTW, as is obvious, the combination of the pork in the beans and kosher hotdogs did not result in SHC, even with the higher levels of methane coursing through my system.

Back to the laboratory.

23 hours ago, Bull City said:

I just read about poor Henry Thomas and the disgusting "wick effect" in the Wikipedia entry:

"Henry Thomas, a 73-year-old man, was found burned to death in the living room of his council house on the Rassau estate in Ebbw Vale, South Wales, in 1980. His entire body was incinerated, leaving only his skull and a portion of each leg below the knee. The feet and legs were still clothed in socks and trousers. Half of the chair in which he had been sitting was also destroyed. Police forensic officers decided that the incineration of Thomas was due to the wick effect."

"The "wick effect" hypothesis suggests that a small external flame source, such as a burning cigarette, chars the clothing of the victim at a location, splitting the skin and releasing subcutaneous fat, which is in turn absorbed into the burned clothing, acting as a wick. This combustion can continue for as long as the fuel is available."

I am going to start carrying a fire extinguisher. 

And only smoking unlit cigarettes.

23 hours ago, Matagi said:

We could also all go out in public naked. Wearing a mask, we would also all be anonymous. 

Ahem, excuse me. Speaking for yourself, I hope? I have at least one very distinctive feature, as I'm sure is true of many here.

19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That explains why a burnt match weighs exactly the same as an unburnt one.

Less the weight of the smoke, of course.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:59 AM, ProaSailor said:

Hetairos III, Dykstra Naval Architects , Reichel / Pugh Yacht Design, 2011

https://rhoadesyoung.com/portfolio/hetairos/
http://www.dykstra-na.nl/designs/hetairos/
http://sailingtrivia.ravenyachts.fr/2011/07/hetairos-iii-2011.html

• LOA: 66.7m (218'10")
  • LWL: 49.76m (163'3")
  • Beam: 10.54m (34'7")
  • Displacement: 220 tons

Jeff_Brown-Hetairos_III.thumb.jpg.adb563f64422276d4dd4f3ab57f05017.jpg

Hetairos-opt-_0010_HetairosInteriorsJuly

Otto Happel’s Hetairos sailing into Hobart, November 2017

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

hansa -Jolle

843EE4EE-B539-4695-AFCF-C9386B004778.jpeg.04f0c114354c679a4ed47a1d3bc4457b.jpeg26133EFA-8826-4E64-A33A-249F9E9B5224.thumb.jpeg.4e2776be706f31ce1f5b31a6f5102fde.jpeg59A014BA-1EEC-4C4E-87C7-6E70813ED0F4.jpeg.b92aa78d39700be8dc60f663874b052e.jpeg

These are great little yachts, perfect for doing long, frugal solo voyages. One was even sailed to the Red Sea by Rollo Gebhard (in Germany, he was quite famous).

Thanks for posting this. They have a long history, dating back to the first years after the war, when money and wood were rare and travel was restricted. The first one was without a roof, a dinghy and was called Viska, derived from the Swedish, meaning something along the lines of "we shall", or "Let's go". They were than built by Abeking & Rasmussen and basically helped the yard survive. The one depicted is a very new one, and is -unlike others- cold-molded. 

Loa: 5,85 m, Width 1,65, Draft min 0,5 m, 150 kg Ballast

07419c_de5a7ad3b022449a8c6bd92029ef2958~

More here (German)

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Bull City said:
On 4/16/2020 at 8:16 AM, Cruisin Loser said:

Cruisin', I am with you on the ketchup, and the butter toasted buns. They are sublime.

The buns had been stashed in our freezer for a while (hence the assorted styles, Huk) and I was afraid they would fall apart if I buttered them.

BTW, as is obvious, the combination of the pork in the beans and kosher hotdogs did not result in SHC, even with the higher levels of methane coursing through my system.

Back to the laboratory.

You could melt the butter and drizzle it onto the bun, in an artistic pattern

But I'm confused here. Is it success when you ACHIEVE SHC, or when you avoid it?

Also, the engineer in me wants to know if you'd consider standing inside a cone while doing this. Research into sustainable rocketry, how high can we launch?

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

You could melt the butter and drizzle it onto the bun, in an artistic pattern

But I'm confused here. Is it success when you ACHIEVE SHC, or when you avoid it?

Also, the engineer in me wants to know if you'd consider standing inside a cone while doing this. Research into sustainable rocketry, how high can we launch?

FB- Doug

I'm confused about the same thing.

Of course I would stand in a cone while eating hot dogs and beans. I would also drink a beer while I was at it. After all, I am dedicated scientist.

• Like 1
On 4/15/2020 at 10:08 AM, Bull City said:

I see it initiating a spontaneous human nap!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Matagi said:

These are great little yachts, perfect for doing long, frugal solo voyages. One was even sailed to the Red Sea by Rollo Gebhard (in Germany, he was quite famous).

Thanks for posting this. They have a long history, dating back to the first years after the war, when money and wood were rare and travel was restricted. The first one was without a roof, a dinghy and was called Viska, derived from the Swedish, meaning something along the lines of "we shall", or "Let's go". They were than built by Abeking & Rasmussen and basically helped the yard survive. The one depicted is a very new one, and is -unlike others- cold-molded. 

Loa: 5,85 m, Width 1,65, Draft min 0,5 m, 150 kg Ballast

More here (German)

C8D6F826-CD35-4969-9A8D-DBF55FB67A5D.thumb.jpeg.a00ae773dcd59948efdee50dc5c4a43a.jpeg6D0B910C-7712-4D15-A0BF-ECC1B2E8CEA4.jpeg.8aba7a934e94a38023c0b9a5716babbf.jpeg

• Like 3

There is also the Niedersachsenjolle, a slightly larger version that evolved later from it. It is 6,70 m in length and only a few were built.

Bild2.jpg

Niedersachsen meaning Lower-Saxony the neighbouring state to Hamburg and Bremen, the dominating states of the Hanse in their day.

Hence the sail mark of the Hansajolle, the Hansekreuz. It is also the sign of Germany's offshore sea rescue, the Deutsche Gesellschaft zur Rettung Schiffbrüchiger. Write that 50 times.

81rHv7yM3bL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Fricke and Dannhus build a new version of the Hansajolle, with a different, modern centreboard and ruddershape, the HD20.

HD-20-classic16-4058d2dedb.jpg

fccd013baa461037908047641e496d54cb1a7c9d

It's a very nice yard, some very interesting projects. They once converted a J/22 to this:

vintage2.jpg

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Matagi said:

Fricke and Dannhus build a new version of the Hansajolle, with a different, modern centreboard and ruddershape, the HD20.

HD-20-classic16-4058d2dedb.jpg

fccd013baa461037908047641e496d54cb1a7c9d

It's a very nice yard, some very interesting projects. They once converted a J/22 to this:

vintage2.jpg

both very nice!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Floating Duck said:

Oh lord what a disaster (from an efficiency point of view... damn rules).

Whenever I see something like that I always think that there should be a point where the designers say to themselves "Naaahhhh - I'm just not doing that - it's time to move on"

I mean really, if that bustle and inverted keel weren't bad enough, they had to put wiggles and flats in the forefoot? :blink:

• Like 3
Just now, SloopJonB said:

Whenever I see something like that I always think that there should be a point where the designers say to themselves "Naaahhhh - I'm just not doing that - it's time to move on"

And then they see the check and all of the zero's on it :lol: :lol:

11 hours ago, Floating Duck said:

Oh lord what a disaster (from an efficiency point of view... damn rules).

Rules, constraints and rating systems often lead to ridiculous solutions, but from time to time also brings good thing witth them, because they make designers think creatively and out of the box.

On 4/21/2020 at 5:30 AM, bridhb said:

That belongs in an "innovative interpretation of the rules" thread.

Mr Conner has that very picture hung on his bedside wall beneath it there is a small but well polished inscribed plaque on which is written : US-55 My Eternal Redemption.

21 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Mr Conner has that very picture hung on his bedside wall beneath it there is a small but well polished inscribed plaque on which is written : US-55 My Eternal Redemption.

Wow !!!! That leads to the question; How would you know and also violates one of the few protocols allowed on this site as in, gee, I wonder who you are? Fan or not DC is who he was.

On March 30, 2020 at 9:37 PM, Russell Brown said:

The chicks we want to hang out with prefer boats that aren't odorless, colorless, and tasteless.

The girls I sail with prefer odorless and tasteful. 

• Like 2
On April 15, 2020 at 12:08 PM, Bull City said:

My lunch today, except butter toasted buns, and the beans were Pinto with real Hatch, NM green chile, very hot, not for gringos. My future widow is from Las Cruces. 

Getting back to the subject at hand, this is how some people do it. Before building the 48' cruiser-racer on the left (now mine), her PO built the daysailor on the right to test rough rig and keel dimensions (the 31' day sailer has a 6' fin with a bulb, carbon mast, 3di's, etc), and be  sure the selected builder could deliver to his standards. Crappy photo of a photo.

He still has the daysailor, but I'm getting perched, just in case she ever becomes available. I'd like the matched set.:)

image.jpeg.bd41ef244a787f6dce5da49388cfd02c.jpeg

• Like 6
On 4/15/2020 at 10:28 AM, Bugsy said:

Ummm... I hate to be a pedant but chemical reactions preserve mass balance.  That is, the mass at the start is the same at the end. 

To convert mass to energy you need a nuclear reaction.  So you need to convert yourself into nuclear reactor fuel or some such thing.  Apply E = mcc to calculate how much energy you can be converted into.  

We could try splitting the fat molecule...

Yahoo Serious’ documentary, Young Einstein, follows the discoveries that lead to the splitting of the beer molecule in Tasmania. 

What can be done with beer, can be applied to fat!

- Stumbling 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Gorgeous, definitely need to corral the little one Loser.

Yeah, but not for quite a while, i hope. Her owner is simply one of the finest people and finest sailors, and I hope he enjoys her for many more years. But, being a bit younger, perhaps I could enjoy her for a few years, in my dotage. 

On 3/30/2020 at 1:05 PM, Priscilla said:

Not the best example but shows the change in plane of the rudder stock and the transom.

1EDD20E1-F206-4941-B3FA-8417F2678845.jpeg.5ac202af8e7dc1ded50920ce0c34a38e.jpeg

Unless I am one too many beers in and am seeing bit wrong, just no in so many ways, the amount of work to replace wood with plastic boggles the mind.  Kill trees!!! Then preserve them with neverending maintenance...

3 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

We could try splitting the fat molecule...

Yahoo Serious’ documentary, Young Einstein, follows the discoveries that lead to the splitting of the beer molecule in Tasmania. 

What can be done with beer, can be applied to fat!

- Stumbling 

True story...

https://youtu.be/PXPVjRmoUS4

17 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

My lunch today, except butter toasted buns, and the beans were Pinto with real Hatch, NM green chile, very hot, not for gringos. My future widow is from Las Cruces. 

Getting back to the subject at hand, this is how some people do it. Before building the 48' cruiser-racer on the left (now mine), her PO built the daysailor on the right to test rough rig and keel dimensions (the 31' day sailer has a 6' fin with a bulb, carbon mast, 3di's, etc), and be  sure the selected builder could deliver to his standards. Crappy photo of a photo.

He still has the daysailor, but I'm getting perched, just in case she ever becomes available. I'd like the matched set.:)

CL that is awesome. I didn't know that Restive had an older little sister. Very, very cool. 

18 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I wonder why the bow stem appears to be significantly less vertical on the bigger (later) boat?

5 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

I wonder why the bow stem appears to be significantly less vertical on the bigger (later) boat?

The smaller boat was an existing hull design, with modified rig and keel. The larger one was custom from a blank sheet of paper.

7 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Looks like a Center Harbor 31?

That's because it is. 

Here's the predecessor to the bigger boat. Same size, alloy construction by Paul LukeRestive-1.thumb.jpg.c0bdc6fd1db65fac02541f4388bd3b07.jpg.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

The smaller boat was an existing hull design, with modified rig and keel. The larger one was custom from a blank sheet of paper.

That's because it is. 

Here's the predecessor to the bigger boat. Same size, alloy construction by Paul LukeRestive-1.thumb.jpg.c0bdc6fd1db65fac02541f4388bd3b07.jpg.

Keep America Beautiful - Own beautiful boats!

• Like 2
On 3/30/2020 at 1:05 PM, Priscilla said:

Not the best example but shows the change in plane of the rudder stock and the transom.

1EDD20E1-F206-4941-B3FA-8417F2678845.jpeg.5ac202af8e7dc1ded50920ce0c34a38e.jpeg

In hindsight, the bulwark job looks exceptionally well done, not for me but a really good job. So disregard previous douch post.

17 minutes ago, kinardly said:

Gorgeous! Man how I'd love to see her on the line for next year's Ancient Mariners Living Legends regatta on San Diego Bay. Buy her and put me on the list of prospective delivery crew.

Deal!  Assume you’re also on the list for carpentry, brightwork and varnish duty? :)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, socalrider said:

This is the Nielsen I like, Fin Perry's Elskov. She's been to Labrador, hell she's been everywhere. Big article in Woodenboat a couple of years ago.

IMG_1528.thumb.jpg.ccdb32637efeab4ffd874e2568104b05.jpg

16 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Any more pics on both?

Boy, did you open a can of worms.B)

40362449_10156909868858598_5168360079736438784_o.jpg.18940436397982f031106cb73c9ee9ed.jpg

Off to Bermuda:

1990550940_2019start1.jpg.e5d87f2234fcee780ef39b55f6e0cf33.jpg526666458_Restive20below.thumb.jpg.21a21decb2cc37d8ed04e3c4de1c1a49.jpg

37276524_IMG_0332RFS.thumb.jpg.c456700552932e2813e43cc8bdea0651.jpg

ERR finish a couple of years ago.

1317077222_DSC_5616copy.thumb.jpg.30604c54ef90cbdc51acd760a3c65523.jpg

Restive-8895.jpg.9b711dbd7f37e87a0c7c0496f92a2367.jpg

• Like 5
On 4/18/2020 at 6:50 PM, FixinGit said:

My apologies if this particular doco has been posted here previously. Lots of green,timber and bronze and epic archives and skills= Art.

Holy Deep Pockets Bat Man!  Damn, I love crazy rich people for doing this kinda stuff!

• Like 2

I took this shot of ANNA, today (4/27) in 2009. ANNA, a 2007 Sparkman and Stevens design channeled their famous STORMY WEATHER for the above the WL design elements. Below the WL, she has a canoe shape, fin keel split rudder. Built by Brooklin Boatyard in a cold moulded hull. 

1725732435_ANNA2009_.thumb.jpg.ab38ad23eaae041b15e2ae268d8debdc.jpg

Nice on deck. Serious ocean racer with 8 cowl/dorade boxes. 2 companionways, as is Stormy W. 

1878171279_ANNA2009close.thumb.jpg.5caa3366eafe29e64a90604fc0acd19c.jpg

• Like 6
15 hours ago, Crash said:

Wow is a good start, but doesn't quite capture it...

Now I'm really jealous that IB got invited along :rolleyes:

IB had done Bda on my previous boat, and our wives get along, which is important to me. My wife is not a Yaaaachting socialite, she's a country girl and a sweetheart. We're both WYSIWYG. This photo is being turned into an oil painting for my office. 

DSC_1877.thumb.jpg.57bd18c5b6f3cca96a947b340dbaf1af.jpg

The painting of this one will be for our home

199521143_Restiveonthemove.thumb.JPG.258540e494bbaad2790cb9f9626757e5.JPG

Anna's very fast. We were anchored next to her at ERR a couple of years ago. Her owner is a great guy. Spectacular boat. I didn't get aboard despite an invitation, I wonder about the headroom under the flush deck. Come to think of it, you were anchored (apparently) quite close at last year's ERR, yet failed to come say hello. It's not like I'm going to distract you while you're visiting and send a crewman to surreptitiously steal your rum.  

BBY does nice work. 

1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

I took this shot of ANNA, today (4/27) in 2009. ANNA, a 2007 Sparkman and Stevens design channeled their famous STORMY WEATHER for the above the WL design elements. Below the WL, she has a canoe shape, fin keel split rudder. Built by Brooklin Boatyard in a cold moulded hull. 

1725732435_ANNA2009_.thumb.jpg.ab38ad23eaae041b15e2ae268d8debdc.jpg

Nice on deck. Serious ocean racer with 8 cowl/dorade boxes. 2 companionways, as is Stormy W. 

3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

I don't think I've ever seen two cowls on the same dorade box like that before.  Kind of neat looking!

They definitely cribbed more than just a little from Stormy Weather.

Anna:

2721-Anna_Chute.thumb.jpg.4de834b7020c018c08077c10e1850986.jpg

Brooklin56_OB.thumb.jpg.47462173fd0f927f047b2bae65f1447b.jpg

Stormy Weather:

492212938_27-StormyWeatherphoto2.thumb.jpg.afb4a8bafdde3d74ede0ef566b9c574e.jpg

305724602_27-StormyWeatherProfile300dpi.thumb.jpg.84b06c18408db52c4e2d1a4d10b885bd.jpg

• Like 4

We did exchange a quick hello in Castine as you motored by but you guys were race focused. There wasn't a good moment while we were anchored in the ERR group to do a row about.

We're not the types to barge in on the festivities all the boats were enjoying. We were happy to be spectators. I'll try next time if we're lucky enough to be there. It's a great show of boats and boat peeps. 

3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

From the link above

NVW4BEI55VE6FFZMABG2YZC6S4.jpg

Looks pretty good to me

FB- Doug

Landed in my feed today, it's Winning III, German yacht designer Karl Vertens own yacht, a so-called 6KR, sailing out of Hamburg on the Elbe. It's in German, but I think you will like it, it is very beautifully filmed, kudos to 'Yacht'.

One story told in this piece: when the yacht once was sold, the wife of the former owner 'jumped ship' and stayed with the new one.

• Like 4
On 4/30/2020 at 8:16 AM, Matagi said:

Landed in my feed today, it's Winning III, German yacht designer Karl Vertens own yacht, a so-called 6KR, sailing out of Hamburg on the Elbe. It's in German, but I think you will like it, it is very beautifully filmed, kudos to 'Yacht'.

One story told in this piece: when the yacht once was sold, the wife of the former owner 'jumped ship' and stayed with the new one.

Awesome mahogany brightwork. Lot's of effort gone into that one.

• Like 1
On 4/29/2020 at 5:16 PM, Matagi said:

so, it seems she was actually the boat's wife, not the owners'...

• Like 1
On 4/29/2020 at 1:16 PM, Matagi said:

That's the Twilight Zone version of the old "Wife says sell" story. :D

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Norm said:

ive sold a couple of boats - its never happened to me

I've bought a number of boats and it never happened to me.

• Like 1

Asked a friend years ago after many martinis who seemed to be getting on famously with my former wife how much it would cost for him to take her off my hands?  Would have been a lot less than the final cost but as the saying goes, why was the divorce so expensive?, because it was worth it.  Have a beautiful sailor bride now and very lucky indeed.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:
1 hour ago, Norm said:

ive sold a couple of boats - its never happened to me

I've bought a number of boats and it never happened to me.

I've bought AND sold a number of boats, and the only times it seemed like a possibility, the wife in question was not as desirable an asset as she seemed to think she was

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I've bought AND sold a number of boats, and the only times it seemed like a possibility, the wife in question was not as desirable an asset as she seemed to think she was

FB- Doug

Just no. If you absolutely have to boink the PO's wife, do it outside the deal.

Unless it's a better deal including the wife.

In which case, run away.

11 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Asked a friend years ago after many martinis who seemed to be getting on famously with my former wife how much it would cost for him to take her off my hands?  Would have been a lot less than the final cost but as the saying goes, why was the divorce so expensive?, because it was worth it.  Have a beautiful sailor bride now and very lucky indeed.

Ditto...