• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Available as a sloop or yawl.

My old Schooner "Europe". The first yacht registered under the brand new European Union flag. Baptised  by Princess Grace Kelly of Monaco. We acquired the boat after she went around the world. Thank y

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

All right, I see where this is going. You know how I make my  cock 9 inches long? I bend it in half. 

Proof,  you are a dick.

Now run along to Dinghy Sailing Anarchy and play big fish.......... in the small pond.

11 hours ago, Al Paca said:

All right, I see where this is going. You know how I make my  cock 9 inches long? I bend it in half. 

That's worthy of VWAP.

On 5/17/2020 at 5:54 PM, Navig8tor said:

Just because the events appears improbable doesn't mean it didn't happen.

First you made the presumption that crew jumped on to the keel to right it, yeah right.

Now, You are presuming the crew climbed back on board and kept on sailing

Lets face it you are looking at this from a dinghy sailors perspective,  a laser capsize and trying to get your feeble mind around how that could possibly happen on a big boat.

This was a 90 foot boat being pushed hard by a racing crew that got pinned on its ear by a fresh trade winds breeze and as I understand it the boat stayed that way for several minutes but hey,  you sound like such an authority.

How about you tell us about the biggest boat you have been on?

I’ve been on a full rigged, 3 masted ship. AND circumnavigated Tom Sayers Island. Top that twat. 

3 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

I’ve been on a full rigged, 3 masted ship. AND circumnavigated Tom Sayers Island. Top that twat. 

As a paying passenger?

You just couldn’t resist could ya.

Come on back after you’ve Captained vessels for 15 years, throw in 7 TransAtlantics three as Captain in Command for good measure, it is very apparent you know fuck all.

The subject as far as I am concerned is closed, can I suggest you stick to stuff that you know about.

It appears to be Lasers.

Real old school. The Hinckley Pilot 35 came out after the Tripp designed B40. But unlike the wide (at the time!) B40 that was CCA rule influenced, the Pilot was taken off the lines of the S&S Pilot 35 that was being built in wood. Hinckley asked to have the freeboard raised, to get more space below. Just over 100 were built (vs just over 200 B40's). Friends of mine bought this Pilot last season. A family of four, young kids, their 2nd coastal cruiser. She wanted a classic looking boat. Good choice. 

400248904_GRACE2020.thumb.jpg.861731edfe24c2059c9a8186e4d91673.jpg

155622331_GRACE20202.thumb.jpg.73a7ddb7a846e1b348c625d5f5287289.jpg

• Like 7

1100322398_Summer2009076.thumb.jpg.d07234f63e0fc972fa4a9eab8e3d0620.jpgA perfect little wooden CC double ender. I think this was Merchant's Harbor, 2009

• Like 7
2 hours ago, BobJ said:

This thread needs more photos of cool boats to admire, and fewer pissing matches.

Just stay upstream of the contestants. You'll be fine. It's the fucken internet, dude!!

But yeah, agree, more boat pics!

FB- Doug

4 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Real old school. The Hinckley Pilot 35 came out after the Tripp designed B40. But unlike the wide (at the time!) B40 that was CCA rule influenced, the Pilot was taken off the lines of the S&S Pilot 35 that was being built in wood. Hinckley asked to have the freeboard raised, to get more space below. Just over 100 were built (vs just over 200 B40's). Friends of mine bought this Pilot last season. A family of four, young kids, their 2nd coastal cruiser. She wanted a classic looking boat. Good choice.

Those are fine little cruising boats. Timeless. 

They have an owners group https://hinckleypilot35.ning.com/, and a Hinckley Pilot 35 facebook page. 

My dear friend John Correa has had one for years. A perfect boat.

19 hours ago, Al Paca said:

I've been on Cutty Sark and circumnavigated Passage Island countless times.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

She wanted a classic looking boat. Good choice.

40 years old makes this a classic looking boat. ;)

image.png.3991a2445c724bd47c4e0ab6ada7c9f3.png

40 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I single-handed across Biscayne Bay... on a nice day!

6 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Real old school. The Hinckley Pilot 35 came out after the Tripp designed B40.

Speaking of Hinckleys, I have admired the Southwester 30. Don't know the designer, but it moves me, and it would fit on our lake, and it has a tiller. Break out the straight jacket.

image.png.7d9f79daceb510177d91994624f3b492.png

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I single-handed across Biscayne Bay... on a nice day!

I shave with a helicopter. 

Pretty sure the 30 is an S&S.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Meh... isn't that more or less expected of a Texas wildcatter?

You're thinking of the windshield ground to my prescription, that bit is real. Most of the guys shave with Chubbchubbs, but I'm a little older and, frankly, losing my edge. ;)

1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Pretty sure the 30 is an S&S.

sailboatdata.com says "Henry R. Hinckley" designed it. While probably not a speedster, it looks sedate, comfortable, and has cabin heat to extend season. Nice!

4 minutes ago, Bull City said:

sailboatdata.com says "Henry R. Hinckley" designed it. While probably not a speedster, it looks sedate, comfortable, and has cabin heat to extend season. Nice!

Led Zeppellin claimed at one time to have written "You Need Love/Whole Lotta Love". 

I look at that boat, and I recall what he did with the Tripp H48, turning it into to the SW-50 and calling it his design by adding some freeboard. 

I would call it ":S&S inspired" :rolleyes:

• Like 3
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I've drank Cutty Sark while sailing to Bermuda.   Bwahahaha...

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Bull City said:

Speaking of Hinckleys, I have admired the Southwester 30. Don't know the designer, but it moves me, and it would fit on our lake, and it has a tiller. Break out the straight jacket.

I keep looking at this listing:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1962/hinckley-sou-wester-30--3195835/

It was built the same year I started high school, but looks like it had a major re-fit just a few years ago. The lay out is nice and simple. Tiller, center-line companionway.

PHRF numbers are pretty much what I expected:

GULF PHRF 231 (Gulf of Mexico?)
LAKE MICHIGAN 216
NEW ENGLAND 219

The old man part of me is smitten.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Bull City said:

It was built the same year I started high school, but looks like it had a major re-fit just a few years ago. The lay out is nice and simple. Tiller, center-line companionway.

LAKE MICHIGAN 216
NEW ENGLAND 219

Won’t work for you or me.  We live too far south.  Al that varnish would never stand a chance.  Beautiful boat though.    

43 minutes ago, Bull City said:

LAKE MICHIGAN 216
NEW ENGLAND 219

You could have a Hinckley Pilot 35 for less money:

6885298_20181031064331653_1_XLARGE.jpg

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1967/hinckley-pilot-3481764/

No tiller, but you could use the money you save to replace the wheel.

• Like 2

So Bull, your J-22 had a SA/D ratio of 24+ and the H Boat is 19+.  Those two Hinckleys are both under 16...

I think you might find them a little to “stately” esp on a light air day of which I think you have many in the summer...

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Crash said:

So Bull, your J-22 had a SA/D ratio of 24+ and the H Boat is 19+.  Those two Hinckleys are both under 16...

I think you might find them a little to “stately” esp on a light air day of which I think you have many in the summer...

Actually, there are quite a few empty slips at our marina - more boats!

Yes, I've been cooped up too long.

Don’t get me wrong, they are beautiful boats to my eyes....

...but a beautiful boat not moving in otherwise “sailable” breeze might be not quite as beautiful 

47 minutes ago, Bull City said:

There are a lot of those on the market.

A lot of them have been built...

Quick little boats.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

There are a lot of those on the market.

Very good boats for people downsizing. My parents had one for a while. One season we even cruised together and rafted up in the evenings.  

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Whinging Pom said:

Looking at those Hinckleys, why no garage for the companionway hatch?  Or don't they go sailing when there's water coming over the deck.  Also, those cockpits seem horribly

un-ergonomic.

All true. Yet their popularity endures and they are one of the few old boats that hold value. 

B40_1_(1_of_1).thumb.jpg.bdf056b782810dbf78c3eb4557022f50.jpg

3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

All true. Yet their popularity endures and they are one of the few old boats that hold value. 

B40_1_(1_of_1).thumb.jpg.bdf056b782810dbf78c3eb4557022f50.jpg

Not surprising, at least to me.  It's like a classic car: new cars are just better in every objective way.  But......  It's the way the old one looks, the way it makes you feel, the memories it conjures.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Bull City said:

@Kris Cringle Is dat Scat?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6e8.thumb.jpg.f7b6272d0c997ad6e911c52f2659d31b.jpg

It surely must be. Your shot is 2009 (where?), mine was taken in 2011 in Cabot Cove off Pulpit Harbor.

I never saw the stern and see it hales from NY. 

It's the third version, the Mark III I think. Beside some port shape changes, Hinckley changed the sail plan to higher aspect. They still built mostly yawls (I believe) despite the CCA rule favoring yawls, long after that racing rule was phased out. 

4 hours ago, Hukilau said:

Not surprising, at least to me.  It's like a classic car: new cars are just better in every objective way.  But......  It's the way the old one looks, the way it makes you feel, the memories it conjures.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Actually I believe they will still build one for you, but it would be semi-custom. But you are absolutely right. Families spend a lot of money keeping these boats in concourse condition like an old classic car.  A decent number are multi-generational boats. There are 5 Hinckleys and one shitter in this photo. Which one doesn't fit? 

ACtC-3fZL48X2n5rxvoIJhrmpVXEyqeJ4Jsp6-0L

5 hours ago, Elegua said:

Actually I believe they will still build one for you, but it would be semi-custom. But you are absolutely right. Families spend a lot of money keeping these boats in concourse condition like an old classic car.  A decent number are multi-generational boats. There are 5 Hinckleys and one shitter in this photo. Which one doesn't fit? 

Eurotrash?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Eurotrash?

18 hours ago, Elegua said:

They would. It's a new era in custom boat building. The olde way - fiberglass hull plug/mold - is history.

That production method made $$$ sense for a run of hulls but as you know,  not for a one-off(and I doubt any working plugs exist). 

You can go right to the source for a reproduction of anything. Ironically, I think the old wooden boat builders are now the stars of new custom builds. Composite. Cold moulded  in wood and sheathed in whatever the lastest product is. Hinckley would probably sub this work out to those builders (Brooklin, Rockport, Belfast) more experienced in cold moulded work. 

The in house designers can take any design, from any era,  and print out the lofting plans in composite construction. Cheap throw away forms sawn and set up on a frame on the floor, lay the strips and Bob's your uncle. Exact B-40 replica. 

But the same designers would tempt you with a faster - below the waterline - design. In the end though, this would be ridiculously expensive which only makes the real thing, more attractive. But new custom boats make no financial sense from any angle. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

They would. It's a new era in custom boat building. The olde way - fiberglass hull plug/mold - is history.

That production method made $$$ sense for a run of hulls but as you know,  not for a one-off(and I doubt any working plugs exist). 

You can go right to the source for a reproduction of anything. Ironically, I think the old wooden boat builders are now the stars of new custom builds. Composite. Cold moulded  in wood and sheathed in whatever the lastest product is. Hinckley would probably sub this work out to those builders (Brooklin, Rockport, Belfast) more experienced in cold moulded work. 

The in house designers can take any design, from any era,  and print out the lofting plans in composite construction. Cheap throw away forms sawn and set up on a frame on the floor, lay the strips and Bob's your uncle. Exact B-40 replica. 

But the same designers would tempt you with a faster - below the waterline - design. In the end though, this would be ridiculously expensive which only makes the real thing, more attractive. But new custom boats make no financial sense from any angle. 

Hell... hinckley subbed out everything but the hull for the last 52 to BBY/Front St. 

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

It surely must be. Your shot is 2009 (where?), mine was taken in 2011 in Cabot Cove off Pulpit Harbor.

I never saw the stern and see it hales from NY. 

It's the third version, the Mark III I think. Beside some port shape changes, Hinckley changed the sail plan to higher aspect. They still built mostly yawls (I believe) despite the CCA rule favoring yawls, long after that racing rule was phased out. 

It might have been near Holbrooke Island, but I'll have to check the log book (if I can find it). 

3 hours ago, eliboat said:

Hell... hinckley subbed out everything but the hull for the last 52 to BBY/Front St. 

And BBY spent a lot of time fixing that hull.

4 hours ago, Bull City said:

It might have been near Holbrooke Island, but I'll have to check the log book (if I can find it). 

Looks more like Buck's Harbor, but I'm often wrong.

Yeah, people still like B-40's, but the SW-42 is a better boat in every way. The SW-51 is also a terrific boat. Jim McCurdy was one of the great yacht designers.

2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Looks more like Buck's Harbor, but I'm often wrong.

Our cruise was entirely within Penobscot Bay, so that rules out Buck's Harbor, unless there's more than one. It was taken on the day of the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta, 2009. I kept a journal - I just have to find it. Now I'm obsessed. :o

3 hours ago, eliboat said:

Hinckley fixed the hull issues at BBY. 

I knew they paid for it, wasn't aware that they sent Hinckley personnel to do it. Good for them.

I've owned boats built by both. For years Hinckley was THE standard for sailboat quality. They built great boats. 

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

Our cruise was entirely within Penobscot Bay, so that rules out Buck's Harbor, unless there's more than one. It was taken on the day of the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta, 2009. I kept a journal - I just have to find it. Now I'm obsessed. :o

You must have a much tighter definition of Penobscot Bay.  Technically, you may be right.  Generally speaking, I call the region from Two Bush Channel to Swan’s Island all ‘Penobscot Bay.  That would put Buck’s Harbor ‘in the zone’.  Luckily, I’m not the final authority...

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Bull City said:

8 hours ago, Veeger said:

You must have a much tighter definition of Penobscot Bay.  Technically, you may be right.  Generally speaking, I call the region from Two Bush Channel to Swan’s Island all ‘Penobscot Bay.  That would put Buck’s Harbor ‘in the zone’.  Luckily, I’m not the final authority... 

There's a harbor in Machiasport (which is decidedly not in the Penobscot bay) called Bucks Harbor which might be causing confusion?

The other Bucks Harbor in South Brooksville Maine is at the head of the Eggemoggin Reach, just north of Little Deer Isle and east of Cape Rosier.  That might fit with Bull's Memory of taking the photo the same day he was at the ERR.  It's quite close.  If you moored in Bucks Harbor and wanted to race in the ERR, you might just motor over in the morning rather than shifting anchorage the night before.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Bull City said:

I’d just about put money on Bucks Harbor.  East cove looking towards Harbor Island.  I’d call that very much within the confines of Penobscot Bay no matter how strict you want to define it!

• Like 1
On 5/17/2020 at 4:26 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

You should learn to shut up while you're still behind. The Whitefin knockdown is the stuff of legend. Maybe Tad, who was part of the BKYD design team will chime in, but it absolutely happened, and the boat stayed on it's ear for a loooong time, according to folks who were there. Might have caused the owner to sell.

I'll bet you don't think a C&C 61 can do a 360 deg roll, either.  But Sorcery did. 

Just catching up with this thread. Yes it happened. I was there. Not on Whitefin, but at that race week. There was an Antiguan character nicknamed "Kong" who served as grinder . I kid you not. The joke on the dock afterwards was the rest of the crew yelling "Kong , stop grinding man ! "

I think the return from Dickenson bay to English Harbor.

1 hour ago, NaClH20 said:

I’d just about put money on Bucks Harbor.  East cove looking towards Harbor Island.  I’d call that very much within the confines of Penobscot Bay no matter how strict you want to define it!

Buck's is the closest fuel dock to Center Harbor, where I keep my boat. 

Mainly we loved Buck's from 10-15 years back, when our son was young, if we called ahead Lois would make him a pie, and Lord, that boy loved pie. On Cuttyhunk, the locals called him Pieboy.

28 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Mainly we loved Buck's from 10-15 years back, when our son was young, if we called ahead Lois would make him a pie.

I had a high school friend who’s grandparents had a cabin to the west of Bucks.  There was a very disreputable Dark Harbor 12 that belonged to the family that we banged around in.  We just pushed the caulking that was falling out in the bow back in, lashed the boom on with bailing wire as the pin was missing, and launched it.  Did an overnight, too.. in a 21’ toothpick of a boat with no cabin and a bad leak.  Came in beyond dead last in that weeks race, as we had no idea what we were doing other than we had a fancy start watch and a vague idea of the rules.  Ah, youth!  That would have been, ohhhh, 1990ish.  Still plenty of room in the harbor then, and most of the mooring buoys were just pine logs with a big hole bored in each end for the chain and pendant.

That was a cool boat to admire...  Sorry for the thread drift!

Edit to add picture... We had the deep cockpit version (they also came with a narrower self-draining footwell) and no cabin top.  Imagine this but much scruffier

66A9891B-D8AA-4191-A64E-05F4B5282F98.jpeg

• Like 1
On May 22, 2020 at 3:38 AM, Fleetwood said:

Best of both worlds?

image.png.294a349f52d56cabc1606f53325680b6.png

Is that one of the Taylor's? 

8 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Mainly we loved Buck's from 10-15 years back, when our son was young, if we called ahead Lois would make him a pie, and Lord, that boy loved pie. On Cuttyhunk, the locals called him Pieboy.

One of the better outdoor showers, too.

We often stop there when we need to pump the pooper and empty the trash. 

• Like 1

This just anchored for the night off of our club. 

Is it a Pinkey Schooner? Clipper bow with a very short bowsprit. Roller furl yankee jib, staysail, don’t see boom gaff under sail cover and none on the mizzen so might be Bermudian rigged. 
I hope it’s ther w in the morning so I can row out for better pics.

1E5986B0-D9B8-4FF6-914C-0F126B56F60F.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

This just anchored for the night off of our club. 

Is it a Pinkey Schooner? Clipper bow with a very short bowsprit. Roller furl yankee jib, staysail, don’t see boom gaff under sail cover and none on the mizzen so might be Bermudian rigged. 
I hope it’s ther w in the morning so I can row out for better pics.

1E5986B0-D9B8-4FF6-914C-0F126B56F60F.jpeg

A ketch, not a schooner, and doesn't have the high pinky stern.

Thought it looked like a Parker. Turns out it’s Reuel Parker’s personal yacht Peregrine. It’s his retirement home according to his web site. I hope he’s there in the morning so I can row out and say hi!

2BD754D9-9B32-4138-AE14-391740388A6A.png

AF25FF0A-2908-4EAE-B5F5-A72C0BDE108A.png

On 3/10/2020 at 4:07 AM, Priscilla said:

45B9CC9B-29A1-4753-B964-8C4C7A2EC85A.png.559e1cc40fbd2b0fce3fa1238cff2288.png

Before RC,Free Sailing  Model Yachting had two different kinds of races. Pond Yachts, which raced in special basins like the one in Central Park and in parks all over the world. The skipper and possibly a helper would walk around the pond tacking and or gybing the model as it came to shore.  Alternatively there wereOpen Water regattas where the yachts were chased from skiffs and other light craft.  Courses were generally longer, in many cases the skipper lad only a limited number of “touches” to adjust his boat during the course of the race.

This is generally the type of model sailing I enjoy the most. It gives me an excuse to row or paddle a little boat close to home.  The simplest rule is that you have to sail back to your starting point. Which can be harder than it sounds.  You can safely swim after models under 24” long, particularly if you have fins.

SHC

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Thought it looked like a Parker. Turns out it’s Reuel Parker’s personal yacht Peregrine. It’s his retirement home according to his web site. I hope he’s there in the morning so I can row out and say hi!

2BD754D9-9B32-4138-AE14-391740388A6A.png

AF25FF0A-2908-4EAE-B5F5-A72C0BDE108A.png

She spent a couple of days anchored in front of our house. Very interesting boat. The dinghy/tender is pretty interesting too. That's what caught my eye initially. 

On 5/24/2020 at 9:08 AM, Elegua said:

She spent a couple of days anchored in front of our house. Very interesting boat. The dinghy/tender is pretty interesting too. That's what caught my eye initially. 

What a gift it was to see. I’m guessing that he had to stop for something that came into deRouville’s Boat Yard. 

On 5/24/2020 at 11:14 AM, Russell Brown said:

Anyone get photos of Reuel's dinghy/tender?

Just for you, buddy! The port tender has the outboard mount about 3’ inboard. Very interesting. I took a few videos around the boat yesterday. I’ll post them to YouTube and post them. It will out me, but no big deal since I’m a nobody.  didn’t bother Reuel if he was aboard and nobody peeked  their head out, so I kept a respectable distance. He’s gone this morning of course, I would have liked to tell him how much I admire his work.

I launched my tender mid restoration to get out there. I didn’t want to take the 11’ Boston whaler near a fine yacht...

ED926E03-F0BC-41AF-AED5-94B11C946684.jpeg

D3C7118F-F6B9-4387-AF0D-9CA2B739D636.jpeg

ED370C15-B3F6-4725-98CC-EA4F6557238C.jpeg

• Like 1

And my cute little tender. 11’ Ellen, restoring it to sell and get either a 15’ Delaware River Tuckup that’s for sale or Save a few bucks and get the PT11. This was a nesting boat that somebody glued up and it’s too heavy to haul-it’s mahogany plywood On white oak keel with oak rails and knees. 

I had to use the electric outboard since the Shaw and Tenney oars and oarlock bases are being refinished.

i was taking on a little water on the way out when I realized that the lower Gudgeon holes were letting water in . If I didn’t have seasonal allergies I would have ahead to turn back but I had a tissue in my pocket and sealed the holes to get to Peregrine.:lol:

CACC2E7A-9E3E-474B-B3BA-6A91020AA560.jpeg

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

but no big deal since I’m a nobody.  

Better than being a Loser. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

And my cute little tender. 11’ Ellen, restoring it to sell and get either a 15’ Delaware River Tuckup that’s for sale or Save a few bucks and get the PT11. This was a nesting boat that somebody glued up and it’s too heavy to haul-it’s mahogany plywood On white oak keel with oak rails and knees. 

I had to use the electric outboard since the Shaw and Tenney oars and oarlock bases are being refinished.

i was taking on a little water on the way out when I realized that the lower Gudgeon holes were letting water in . If I didn’t have seasonal allergies I would have ahead to turn back but I had a tissue in my pocket and sealed the holes to get to Peregrine.