• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Rozinante 16" X 20"  

Rather ordinary 4ksb compared to most in this thread, but I still Admire what is easily the luckiest boat on the harbor here. (for those who may not recognize her in the rare "mast vertical

Posted Images

Had to put this one in, had our friends over and they told us this is a Cayuca, as in One tree!?!  He is a resident Panamanian has lived here his whole life and said this is the biggest one he has ever seen.  That's a 40' Choy Lee it's going by.

IMG_20201031_151256161_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201031_151121708.jpg

• Like 2
On 10/29/2020 at 7:48 AM, Kris Cringle said:

Anyone recognize this Catboat sailing to our launching ramp early this season? Unusual rig. Looks like it flies a jib. 

1386182955_CatboatsailinginGooseRiver._.thumb.jpg.0119302cc28c61811b64701219b2abea.jpg

Bowsprits on catboats aren't unusual. They are used to improve the staying angle much like a boomkin.

• Like 1

I just came...

...across this amazing Waarschip 10.10 (Tien-tien in dutch) restauration. It's called 'Thistle', sailing on Lake Champlain. Built year is 1971, but she was in a barn in Vermont for 15 years. Now back and in an amazing way. Look at those sails. Like butterfly wings. Wow! I know these 1010 are really not comfy below, but if you want to have fun with 2,3 people and punch way above your weight, that's the way to go. Mine is just a 725, but that is really an inspiration... More pics on the Waarschip yard site.

Waarschip-1010-zeilend-mooie-zeilen-1100

Waarschip-1010-gekraand.jpeg

She got a larger main sail with squaretop and fits a Melges 24 asym on her bow.

Waarschip-1010-snel-2.jpg

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Matagi said:

I just came...

...across this amazing Waarschip 10.10 (Tien-tien in dutch) restauration. It's called 'Thistle', sailing on Lake Champlain. Built year is 1971, but she was in a barn in Vermont for 15 years. Now back and in an amazing way. Look at those sails. Like butterfly wings. Wow! I know these 1010 are really not comfy below, but if you want to have fun with 2,3 people and punch way above your weight, that's the way to go. Mine is just a 725, but that is really an inspiration... More pics on the Waarschip yard site.

Waarschip-1010-zeilend-mooie-zeilen-1100

Waarschip-1010-gekraand.jpeg

She got a larger main sail with squaretop and fits a Melges 24 asym on her bow.

Waarschip-1010-snel-2.jpg

very very cool

On 10/24/2020 at 4:56 PM, socalrider said:

Different mission statement, but this is pretty close to my ideal for a fast family cruiser if I had a different family.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1994/andrews-56-3728183/

image.thumb.png.bcb47e04db032935fd0c269a8b6a9044.png

Different Family....I hear ya'

"Honey, crank that Genny in a couple of clicks, would you?"

"Do it yourself!"

That might get a little tiresome on a 56 footer. Cool blend of "Go Fast" and accommodations, though!

4 hours ago, Bull City said:

Nice, but I'm not sure about this:

683000091_ScreenShot2020-11-08at8_29_07AM.thumb.png.785d04ec79c02617fd93451e2a6a6a25.png

Geez... I hadn’t really noticed that. I suppose you could sleep with feet facing aft. Such a large cabin, seems like it could be laid out better, though not with the walk around berth. 

5 hours ago, Bull City said:

Nice, but I'm not sure about this:

683000091_ScreenShot2020-11-08at8_29_07AM.thumb.png.785d04ec79c02617fd93451e2a6a6a25.png

Crazy what different camera angles will do.

For some reason I can't post the photo, can you put photo 23 under the photo you posted?

I’m more interested in the location of an adequate escape hatch. 

This pic shows how much head room there is- have to have a pretty big ego to stop you from fitting your head under that sole.

2B1986E9-5D47-46CF-B43F-9DEC1975F838.jpeg

With that little headroom over the berth I can't see how creating a wet spot would be possible.

That's the whole problem.

I'd much rather have ample room to use the double berth than to be able to walk around it.

5 hours ago, socalrider said:

Geez... I hadn’t really noticed that. I suppose you could sleep with feet facing aft. Such a large cabin, seems like it could be laid out better, though not with the walk around berth. 

Like this you get to roll off on either tack....

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

Bob Perry would have never allowed such a thing. If you guys were more observant, we could be successful yacht consultancy. Like $350 per hour.

Divided by all the miscreants here, that's what...$.09 per hour each?

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Sailmaker friend pulled the trigger on this boat almost a year to the day after seller’s remorse. 

1948 Alden One Design 38

24’ waterline and 7’beam. 

6,500lbs

EE814113-0D55-47FC-8018-0829498E1A34.jpeg

00D9E920-4146-4BFC-8FF3-1034CE73CEAC.jpeg

I was going to post and ask about this boat! It was listed on FB marketplace, and I just missed it. Is it really fiberglass or is it a wood boat that was fiberglass’s over? So many questions!

• Like 1

It was glassed over by the PO, who was the second owner.

3/8” thick over the original 3/4” mahogany planking and 1” white oak frames. The interior was also run clean/rough with a grinder and epoxy coated. Dry as a bone. A few frames were properly scarphed at the turn of the bilge, other than that, I can’t see why the boat was glassed over, but is an excellent job nonetheless.

Inboard stays and a Chapparal 24hp gas snowmobile engine to replace the previous Grey Marine.

It needs all the old alkyd paint removed from the decking and a few other touch ups that the new owner will tackle over the winter and then sail it for the summer to get a feel for it. Then comes the new custom sails with a max roach main and a traveller and head knocker Oxenblock midboom setup. He is a sailmaker after all. 

I’ll keep the interested updated

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Matagi said:

Quality - outstanding

Engineering - close to ingenious

Design - must try harder

Nail on the head.

Being surrounded by old boats and watching newer ones march into the grinder, it only makes sense that some boats endure due to design. It's easy to critique a design in the moment it was conceived. It's not possible to tell if a design will endure until you get decades away, maybe a half a century. That would support why some wooden boats endure even though they weren't designed, or built for longevity. 

I don't want one of these, but there's no denying the design endures way beyond the build time frame. 

1171169001_Spiceaftmoored(1of1).thumb.jpg.a97373089f88f7fb5ca20b7e6fc984a6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1
13 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Nail on the head.

Being surrounded by old boats and watching newer ones march into the grinder, it only makes sense that some boats endure due to design. It's easy to critique a design in the moment it was conceived. It's not possible to tell if a design will endure until you get decades away, maybe a half a century. That would support why some wooden boats endure even though they weren't designed, or built for longevity. 

I don't want one of these, but there's no denying the design endures way beyond the build time frame. 

1171169001_Spiceaftmoored(1of1).thumb.jpg.a97373089f88f7fb5ca20b7e6fc984a6.jpg

Tight little ass. The crescent moon is a giveaway.

You know how we have a clause here that workboats cannot, by definition, be ugly, and so are exempt? I think Camara may actually qualify for the exemption, dodger notwithstanding. The family's nascent YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUGHF0HGKWrucXgyG2RcN9A has more evidence of pro level family cruising than 1000 pages of Girl with Patreon Account Goes Sailing in a Hot Place.  Cruising for 20 years, having two kids who are now teens and totally into sailing, and buying, fixing up and sailing an 80 foot ex-race boat in the span of a year, so it can now serve as a platform to go surfing and kite sailing all over the western pacific?  Doesn't get more pro than that. 

20 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

You know how we have a clause here that workboats cannot, by definition, be ugly, and so are exempt? I think Camara may actually qualify for the exemption, dodger notwithstanding. The family's nascent YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUGHF0HGKWrucXgyG2RcN9A has more evidence of pro level family cruising than 1000 pages of Girl with Patreon Account Goes Sailing in a Hot Place.  Cruising for 20 years, having two kids who are now teens and totally into sailing, and buying, fixing up and sailing an 80 foot ex-race boat in the span of a year, so it can now serve as a platform to go surfing and kite sailing all over the western pacific?  Doesn't get more pro than that. 

In what world would you define a Whitbread participating IOR maxi as a workboat ?:blink:

30 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

In what world would you define a Whitbread participating IOR maxi as a workboat ?:blink:

Sorry I actually posted this in the wrong thread, as Camara is in the uglyboat thread.  It's a work boat because the owners are professional cruising liveaboards. Like La Vagabond is a work boat if you think about it. 

• Like 1
On 6/7/2018 at 11:01 AM, Bob Perry said:

There is nothing "Crocker ish" about hat schooner in the photo.

I agree!! 

Here is a Sam Crocker design that I owned a few years back before embarking on the circumnavigation were on now....

DSC00030.JPG

DSC00306.JPG

DSC00311.JPG

• Like 5
6 hours ago, 2flit said:

I agree!! 

Here is a Sam Crocker design that I owned a few years back before embarking on the circumnavigation were on now....

DSC00030.JPG

DSC00306.JPG

DSC00311.JPG

I love those old Crockers.   Growing up in Manchester, they were still building boats at the Crocker yard, and there were always (still are) a few parked on the docks.   With the exception of a classic cat boat perhaps, I don’t think you can find a roomier classic woody than a Crocker.  

While we’re talking about Crocker, here is a drawing of Five Ply, one of my favorites.   It used to be moored in Manchester as it was a personal boat of the Crocker family for many years.  There was also a local Crocker class that was the same idea but maybe twenty feet or so.... for some reason I think they were called triangles?   Five Ply was purchased and refitted along with a bigger spar a few years back.  

8FE2C111-C3C4-4009-86DB-B8F65D7017D2.png

Lovely tribute by, Tom Cunliffe to the 1913 Le Havre pilot cutter, Jolie Brise, which he says changed his life. Many of you will know this beautiful old-timer, I'm sure.

Worth a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzyGJeQg7bc&feature=emb_rel_end

Unknown.jpeg

• Like 4

I watched this sailing skiff launched from a schooner. After the gaff (gunter?) main was installed, they slipped this topsail over the top of the the mast. Quite a bit of sail area, just right for the light conditions. Any ideas as to what this skiff is? Whitehall? 

451729390_Sailingskifftopsail.thumb.jpg.79d81dda1fd6d5b716dc1b221482b4ee.jpg

The boats details seem pronounced, sort of like a Buckley Smith piece of art work: 

image.png.029e050d2c6d51c3f7e7c615b40ab9ed.png

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

From the angle in the photo, it looks almost Irish, like a Pucán  or a Gleoiteog. I would call that a sprit rig with topmast.

Certainly is powered up in what looks like light air.

The transom is a bit too wide and the aft quarters don't look like a Whitehall to me, not sure how to describe it.

Whatever it is, it's certainly a pretty and classic-looking boat

FB- Doug

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

After the gaff (gunter?) main was installed, they slipped this topsail over the top of the the mast.

451729390_Sailingskifftopsail.thumb.jpg.79d81dda1fd6d5b716dc1b221482b4ee.jpg

WTF do they do if the wind gets up?

• Like 2

Koopmans Ontwerp 513 'Bel Ami'.

Bit unusual to see the cockpit coamings turn straight into the deckhouse, but I like it very very much. 

Also how they kept the stern closed.

1018-271-999-f3e.jpg

1018-270-999-r6x.jpg

1018-269-999-h5t.jpg

1018-272-999-v6j.jpg

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, Matagi said:

Bit unusual to see the cockpit coamings turn straight into the deckhouse, but I like it very very much. 

Also how they kept the stern closed.

1018-271-999-f3e.jpg

1018-270-999-r6x.jpg

1018-269-999-h5t.jpg

1018-272-999-v6j.jpg

LIKE!!

Like, a lot! That's a beautiful boat, and would be even without the laid wood deck. Any more info?

FB- Doug

• Like 2

I like that very much.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to tell me why I'm wrong, and it's shit.  Not enough cup holders, or something.  No faster than a 1970 Whatever 29'.  And they raced handicap windward leeward against it in a windward leeward focused handicap optimised boat, and beat it.  And the interior is no good for importing bulk cargo. And so forth.

But I like it.

4 minutes ago, maxstaylock said:

I like that very much.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to tell me why I'm wrong, and it's shit.  Not enough cup holders, or something.  No faster than a 1970 Whatever 29'.  And they raced handicap windward leeward against it in a windward leeward focused handicap optimised boat, and beat it.  And the interior is no good for importing bulk cargo. And so forth.

But I like it.

T keel.   Great for collecting crabpot lines.

:)

Is that the one on the "Daysailer for Old Folks" thread, where the video shows a 20 something guy trimming sails with a push-button winch, and bikini-clad women in a seemingly opium induced haze? Maybe not.

On 11/25/2020 at 2:03 PM, hannibalhouse said:

Open letter to sailboat designers and builders regarding boats for old people:

I am an old person.  So old I can barely move.  Old, but still love actually sailing (not just being a “passenger” on a sailboat).  Like most older people, I have more money to spend than I did when I was young.  I represent an untapped market, so listen up.

We old people need to be able to sit in one place and control all of the functions of a sailboat by pushing buttons. 

Here is an example of a boat that comes close 

9 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Is that the one on the "Daysailer for Old Folks" thread, where the video shows a 20 something guy trimming sails with a push-button winch, and bikini-clad women in a seemingly opium induced haze? Maybe not.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

• Like 3
On 12/6/2020 at 12:40 PM, SloopJonB said:

WTF do they do if the wind gets up?

They would loosen the snotter and drop the sprit then use it to push the topsail off the mast top and lower it before restriking the sprit and continuing on. They could unstep the mast as well if they had time since it’s only about a12’ Douglass fir or spruce mast, which is pretty light. If the wind really gets up they can reef the foot. 
I don’t have a topsail, but I have foot reefed my Gunter in a blow and it helps a lot. 

On 12/8/2020 at 2:46 AM, Matagi said:

Swan has been doing that for eons.

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Swan has been doing that for eons.

I never said it was new or unique. It's not. But a straight line from the cockpit roof to the coamings has become rare in newer design.

Here is one new prime example:

d_f96ab33bf4.jpeg

_xTKWzu0crm0nnpLP50zWK39uS2eidt0Bav-d7uK

32 minutes ago, Matagi said:

I never said it was new or unique. It's not. But a straight line from the cockpit roof to the coamings has become rare in newer design.

Here is one new prime example:

d_f96ab33bf4.jpeg

_xTKWzu0crm0nnpLP50zWK39uS2eidt0Bav-d7uK

Prime example of why it shouldn't be done.  Ugly boat, ugly colour.....

48 minutes ago, Matagi said:

Agreed.  It is rare in modern designs.

Back in the day, it was considered good design to keep the water out of the cockpit.  It was maybe even meaningful, given less freeboard meant a higher chance of water down the leeward side.  As raceboat sailing handling efficiency began to be more important than crew comfort, cockpit coaming went away.  On modern cruisers, they could get smaller, as freeboard has continued to grow to today's monstrous heights. On the boat Matagi linked, I think its more an attempt to disguise the height of the house to keep it from looking too bulky/tall.

Here is an interesting design I found while looking into the daysailer above. It was built by the same yard in Belgium, Vandamme.

It's a short double-ender,, 7.25 m in length, designed in a light carbon or normal GRP construction. I think until now, there was only one built and judging from the extras it has, it was probably the carbon version. 

Standing headroom, enclosed heads, trailerable, up to 50% ballast, light at ca. 1,100 kg. Easy sailplan with a rather small jib. I like that they went for a reefable jib (2 reefs, even). Could be cut lower, in my opinion. I even like the slightly 'too large' coachroof. One could probably toy quite a bit with colours and stripes to make it 'longer' for the eye. 

Inboard motor included in both options.

Nice interior, full galley, full headroom throughout. Neat arrangement where, when you sleep on the bunks you put your feet below the V-berth in front. From the Youtube video, my understanding is that it is also unsinkable, but I'm not sure of that. 

Price for the standard version looks very attractive, 49k EUR new incl. sails, ex tax is (was) a good proposition for such a design, comparte that to say the JK 28 or the Swallowyacht boats of that size. 

Overall, it reminds me a bit of a love child between a Spaekhugger and an Ecume de Mer.

Specs: 

7.25 m long

2.46 m wide

1.40 m deep

1,350 kg disp., 500 kg ballast

25 sqm upwind SA (more with square top and genoa)

2015-04-19-11.48.28.jpg

booty_schema.jpg

2015-04-19-11.38.42.jpg

I can definitely see myself in this in the future. It would be close to perfect to trailer her to Scotland or Brittany from where I live.

I bet she can take a punch when necessary.

Edited by Matagi
  • Like 1

Haven’t watched the vid yet (competing for bandwidth in the house currently).  Neat little pocket cruiser perhaps but the double ended part seems counter productive to space, room, performance for this size.  I ‘get it’ though about the ‘look’ being a part of the package....

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Veeger said:

Haven’t watched the vid yet (competing for bandwidth in the house currently).  Neat little pocket cruiser perhaps but the double ended part seems counter productive to space, room, performance for this size.  I ‘get it’ though about the ‘look’ being a part of the package....

Indeed. That canoe stern seems totally counterproductive.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Indeed. That canoe stern seems totally counterproductive.

That's why they call it counterstern ;) 

I have always been of the opinion that the term 'Practical Boat Owner' is an oxymoron.

PBO_Cover_July_2020_v2-1.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Veeger said:

"The Look" doesn't make it to my eye.

• Like 2

I may seem blasphemous to some K. Aage Neilsen double-ender fans but this is my favorite Neilsen stern and boat. SAYONARA is a 50' keel center boarder built in 1956 at the Paul Luke yard down in Boothbay.  It had just changed hands when I took this 3 years ago and was awaiting new hailing port boards. 

SAYONARA.thumb.jpg.1d6bb8ed8cb3407a5e9ce5c11d0a7276.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

I may seem blasphemous to some K. Aage Neilsen double-ender fans but this is my favorite Neilsen stern and boat. SAYONARA is a 50' keel center boarder built in 1956 at the Paul Luke yard down in Boothbay.  It had just changed hands when I took this 3 years ago and was awaiting new hailing port boards. 

SAYONARA.thumb.jpg.1d6bb8ed8cb3407a5e9ce5c11d0a7276.jpg

Completely agree. I love the whole shape of Hound, as well. 

Sayonara truly fits the thread title, "cool boats to admire". 

On 12/16/2020 at 4:38 PM, MauiPunter said:

Image may contain: 2 people, ocean, sky, outdoor, water and nature

Mashnee is pretty cool. Fast too!   We got in a port starboard incident a couple of years back during a feeder race in Maine.  We nailed their dinghy (on stbd).  It was all good.   We were racing another very cool boat. Ray Hunt’s Dagger. A Lawley built 225, the original design that spawned the 110, 210, 310 and 410.  dagger-bekris-scaled.png

• Like 5

So I actually posted this on the mocking thread because... well they're asking $49k for a Cal 29.  Actually saw the boat yesterday and it is really amazing.  I've never seen a boat in better shape - much better than when it was new I'm sure.  It looks like a Morris or a Hinkley inside.  Owner claims they spent $200k and I believe it.  Just amazing.  If anyone's looking for a perfect 30'-er this is the one; owner's probably willing to deal too.  No affiliation.  

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1969/cal-sloop-3725853/

image.thumb.png.b79cf8f6bbc02601dce1c273f12143e0.png

image.thumb.png.c8ff3f05c182db554b8b745f26aa230a.png

59 minutes ago, socalrider said:

So I actually posted this on the mocking thread because... well they're asking $49k for a Cal 29.  Actually saw the boat yesterday and it is really amazing.  I've never seen a boat in better shape - much better than when it was new I'm sure.  It looks like a Morris or a Hinkley inside.  Owner claims they spent $200k and I believe it.  Just amazing.  If anyone's looking for a perfect 30'-er this is the one; owner's probably willing to deal too.  No affiliation.  

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1969/cal-sloop-3725853/

image.thumb.png.b79cf8f6bbc02601dce1c273f12143e0.png

image.thumb.png.c8ff3f05c182db554b8b745f26aa230a.png

Yowza.