18 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

I am so lucky to live in a place where no one gives a damm about what kind of boats I have. My best friend and cruising buddy sails an 80 year old classic and he's not embarrassed to be seen with me. I love his boat, he likes mine, and we race together on both boats and have done countless cruises together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFO0sXEYek4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouvUu0FzhzY

Fantastic videos. I want to beam myself there. Right now! If we can land a chopper on Mars, Nasa should be able to drop me there ;) 

Very nice.

• Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

A cool boat: Our dinghy. I had to replace the canvas rub rail this spring. This is the second one. It costs $150 to go around the boat with this stuff. Seems the last time I did it, it was less than $

Available as a sloop or yawl.

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

I am so lucky to live in a place where no one gives a damm about what kind of boats I have. My best friend and cruising buddy sails an 80 year old classic and he's not embarrassed to be seen with me. I love his boat, he likes mine, and we race together on both boats and have done countless cruises together.

I love the "Summer Sailing BC" video. Incredible scenery!

• Like 1
On 2/18/2021 at 1:47 PM, Russell Brown said:

Thank you Russ. 

That Summer sailing in BC had my heart fluttering like I was newly in love, absolutely stunning, and looks like more  fun than you can have with pants on!

A One-Off, Cloudy Bay 30, was on the market a year or so ago.

It looks almost perfect to me, very close to what I would want as a retirement boat (not yet...)

cloudybay30.jpg.6097a3d62dd9174cf3899bc83e7063cb.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Matagi said:

It looks almost perfect to me, very close to what I would want as a retirement boat (not yet...)

Matagi, I hope your actual retirement boat will have lifelines

2 hours ago, Matagi said:

Sweet ride!!

• Like 1

That Huon Kelly is a really cool boat. Big little boat. Funny how you actually can have it all in small package that looks good. It's even got a spot for the nesting dinghy on top of the roof.

• Like 3
On 2/17/2021 at 8:47 PM, Russell Brown said:

That's true but PT is home to the single largest population of opinionated boat people on the planet. No one takes themselves too seriously though so the chorus of how you are doing something wrong tends to fall on deaf ears or pretty thick skins. In a odd way it seems to produce some great outside the box thinking and ideas.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

That Huon Kelly is a really cool boat. Big little boat. Funny how you actually can have it all in small package that looks good. It's even got a spot for the nesting dinghy on top of the roof.

I did not notice that. Thanks for pointing that out. 

And look what I found, a short video of her being built, by a boatbuilding class, as it seems:

15,000 hours of labor.

Wood that is up to 1,200 years old.

Speechless.

I would be sooo unworthy. But I love it. Certainly makes my Top 5 dreamboats of all time (hey, there's another thread hidden there...)

11 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Largely built by students - they were the ones paying.....

They have my eternal gratitude.

On 2/17/2021 at 1:20 PM, eliboat said:

Yeah that’s me in the turbo 110... also normal 110.  Also agree with the golden age of cruising auxiliaries... me having a Seguin and all.  I will say that there are a lot of new designs that is see which really look like they would be very comfortable to cruise on for long periods.  They’re definitely not sexy in a traditional sense, but boy has thinking come a long way when it comes to ergonomics and cockpit design. 

Is this you? 2009 Eggemoggin Reach.

1292400268_Summer2009043.thumb.jpg.41d29084af0a56903409a71a5ec952ba.jpg

• Like 1
On 2/23/2021 at 12:43 PM, Fleetwood said:

Largely built by students - they were the ones paying.....

The way the school works, you pay for the course, and a sponsor pays the equipment costs and gets the boat...

33 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Is this you? 2009 Eggemoggin Reach.

1292400268_Summer2009043.thumb.jpg.41d29084af0a56903409a71a5ec952ba.jpg

Yes. That’s the first time we showed up (I’m driving in that shot) with a stern extension to make the 26’ limit.  Actually made the boat pretty hard to control while planing, but it was a fun goofy exercise.  They changed the rule for subsequent races to 24’.  In 2009 we started about 15 min late because we couldn’t get to the line on time without a motor (I had forgotten how far from WB the line was!).  They had us in Classic A, and had they kept us in that division, we would have won by about 30mins I think.  We were surprised at the awards to not be mentioned during classic A, but found they switched us to SOTA, where we got 3rd despite the 15 min.  I want to say it was the next year that we crushed the whole thing. We had a masthead Asail kite for that one, and I think only Spartan or Marilee got us across the line by seconds.  Had there been an overall trophy, we would have won by a substantial margin.   A few years back I did it on the 225, and we finished so far ahead of the fleet that we sailed in cirlces for some time until Black Watch finally came across... come to find out we went on the wrong side of the first mark (green 7?). Funny enough, we pinched to make that mark and we would have been further along had we gone below it!   Ah well, that’s my favorite weekend every year, and while I usually do well no matter what boat I’m on, it’s not really racing for me.  It’s just a spectacular few days on the water amongst a lot of really nice boats in an amazing setting.   I’ve done a lot of other classic races, and nothing is as good as ERR weekend.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, olaf hart said:

The way the school works, you pay for the course, and a sponsor pays the equipment costs and gets the boat...

Like getting your teeth done at a University dental school.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Like getting your teeth done at a University dental school.

Yeah. And your hair cut at the barbery school. Normally not as painful as the dental neophytes, but one day my barber-to-be slashed my ear open trying to do something with a straight razor.

No, I'll retract that. Dental anaesthesia as a first live victim is the worst.

7 hours ago, eliboat said:

Yes. That’s the first time we showed up (I’m driving in that shot) with a stern extension to make the 26’ limit.  Actually made the boat pretty hard to control while planing, but it was a fun goofy exercise.  They changed the rule for subsequent races to 24’.  In 2009 we started about 15 min late because we couldn’t get to the line on time without a motor (I had forgotten how far from WB the line was!).  They had us in Classic A, and had they kept us in that division, we would have won by about 30mins I think.  We were surprised at the awards to not be mentioned during classic A, but found they switched us to SOTA, where we got 3rd despite the 15 min.  I want to say it was the next year that we crushed the whole thing. We had a masthead Asail kite for that one, and I think only Spartan or Marilee got us across the line by seconds.  Had there been an overall trophy, we would have won by a substantial margin.   A few years back I did it on the 225, and we finished so far ahead of the fleet that we sailed in cirlces for some time until Black Watch finally came across... come to find out we went on the wrong side of the first mark (green 7?). Funny enough, we pinched to make that mark and we would have been further along had we gone below it!   Ah well, that’s my favorite weekend every year, and while I usually do well no matter what boat I’m on, it’s not really racing for me.  It’s just a spectacular few days on the water amongst a lot of really nice boats in an amazing setting.   I’ve done a lot of other classic races, and nothing is as good as ERR weekend.  

Cool story! Let me know if you ever want to race SOTB. We start last, though.

We owned the Hinckley then, it was me, wifey and our then 12yo. When I saw the 110 I said we gotta check that out, because a 110 was what I bought when I sold my Beetle Cat. They are super slick and cool. I never forgot your boat and knew I had a pic. 

Those things are serious upwind machines, years ahead of their time, courtesy of the same guy who drew the Concordia yawls. 

Agree completely about ERR, it's fun to do well, but SOTB has Outlier and the Taylor 49s with pro crews. The advantage is we sail through most of the fleet so the guests get great views. I also let guests drive, since I get my fill in the feeder races. 

9 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Cool story! Let me know if you ever want to race SOTB. We start last, though.

We owned the Hinckley then, it was me, wifey and our then 12yo. When I saw the 110 I said we gotta check that out, because a 110 was what I bought when I sold my Beetle Cat. They are super slick and cool. I never forgot your boat and knew I had a pic. 

Those things are serious upwind machines, years ahead of their time, courtesy of the same guy who drew the Concordia yawls. 

Agree completely about ERR, it's fun to do well, but SOTB has Outlier and the Taylor 49s with pro crews. The advantage is we sail through most of the fleet so the guests get great views. I also let guests drive, since I get my fill in the feeder races. 

If Outlier is there... then I'm trimming jib and spinnaker.

Checking the boat and cover (green tarp to the left) these days means a glance as we walk by. With the 60 to 70 knot winds we've had this winter, I pay more attention to adjusting the jack stands beneath the deep draft boat with the stick in, to the right. 

There's a new boat in the yard. Noahs Ark me thinks. 

733287419_Ark1.thumb.jpg.7e44a4e33e6c559f52b96e7021bb5bef.jpg

Like the rest of us, my daughter is paying attention to the ice as we walk the dogs around the inner harbor.

I've seen this houseboat before. The barge beneath looks new to me. Then I remember,...

1067056373_Ark2.thumb.jpg.4f891b8052bced28d966cb23364e5c67.jpg

I took a photo of it over 10 years ago. The Ark was in (or so I thought) a permanent dry dock above the HW line on an island (700 Acre Is.) out in the bay.

Blocked level on the shore, a Home Depot entrance door had been cut through the side of the barge and the house. TV antennae perched on the roof, mooring balls stored inside and out, this looked like the final chapter in a long story. As a design/builder, I thought it had great lines. 

Never count a good boat-house out. 

Ark.thumb.jpg.18268527fc7ca693e9cf1a3c6d7fe493.jpg

• Like 3

Can anyone id this lovely boat. quite similar to mine but has some extra. I like the simple bowsprit that i might have to copy.

20190607_141823.jpg

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

Can anyone id this lovely boat. quite similar to mine but has some extra. I like the simple bowsprit that i might have to copy.

20190607_141823.jpg

OHHH, that's pretty!  too bad someone went and stuck a wheel on it....would love to know what it is too...

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

20190607_141823.jpg

Black Jack, please refresh our minds and eyes on your boat. I recall that it is lovely.

Thanks,

B.C.

3 hours ago, Crash said:

OHHH, that's pretty!  too bad someone went and stuck a wheel on it....would love to know what it is too...

That thing is no longer The Hawk.

Putting a wheel on that boat is like putting a western saddle on Seabiscut. Then ugly it up with the deck mounted pole and ask it to zigzag downwind on its worst possible point of sail. It is a mess and not the amazing One Ton she once was.

I foolishly let an ego driven nutsack buy our Ohlson 38. 44 years protecting the boat from local boatyard hacks was enough. I was talked into restoring one last time for him. What a stupid move, letting him buy the boat.

He then proceeded to make every effort to destroy the boat quite successfully.

The dipshit got talked into a Forte deck pole POS. I booted the boat from my shop, refusing to allow those assholes to install that junk on my watch or in my shop. My dead dog built better carbon parts.

I loved that boat. Killed me to see what ego driven deep pocket stupidity was doing to the boat...all for the yacht club cocktail bullshit or some dumb bitch he was trolling. The final blow, that hound chaser put a wheel on the boat.....then sold it after a slew of dfl events.

I loved The Hawk in my teens, needless to say the Ohlson too. Both deserved better than the thoughtless downgrades, Viking Funerals. Sometimes being cut up is a better ending. I wish I cut Tynaje up. To the guy who bought it from the hoser who I sent packing, change the name of that boat. It is no longer Tynaje!

So what if some rich fuck wants to sail a Vintage yacht, why destroy that wonderful thoroughbred? The Hawk looks like shit in that photo with it's owner proudly standing behind the wheel. Cant handle a tiller, buy something else. 

JF, Butch should kneel at your feet and beg forgiveness for cutting your sails up. He truly is an asshole.

• Like 1

Okay.  I can pile on too!  What a useless cockpit...  3 people in maximum discomfort.  

But I suppose I should look for something positive to say. The sheer is nice.  No lifelines makes it appear sleek(ish).  The varnish will keep someone employed.

19 hours ago, Bull City said:

Black Jack, please refresh our minds and eyes on your boat. I recall that it is lovely.

Thanks,

B.C.

since you asked.:)  

879244748_IMG_1552(1).jpeg

• Like 10

Ok - please know I am a huge Gary Mull fan.

She is one of 4 Mull 30s. Each one is different. Over the years the shape hull has been shared over numerous designs with a different cabins in such vessels as the Newport 30 to the exceptionally fast, high masted Humboldt 30. Pretty Penny is considered a half tonner built in 1972.  Her older master crafted mahogany planked sister Lively Lady built in 1967/8 (beat Windward Passage in 1969 in their first contest together and actually took the  SORC) I personally restored.  This is where Gary Mull was able to separate his work from the Sparkman and Stephens designs. Pretty Penny is the second one, hand built by Hank Easom in an amazing cold molded sheathed in fiberglass and the interior done by Myron Spaulding, another brilliant wizard of Marin in 1972. Shadow (Easom) and Chico (Kiwi built Mull 30) are the other two. She is unlike her siblings as her engine is mounted above her keel. She is clothed and rigged for the bay. She comes in at 8800 lbs and rates 150 phrf but she runs faster than that. She is a terrific short handed boat and is well mannered even worst that San Francisco can throw at her. I was lucky to pick her up last Spring for less than it would have cost me to repower Lively Lady. Most importantly my wife really likes her too.

3 of the 4 Mull 30s remain in the bay and one last time I saw Lickety Split, she was in New Hamshire on the hard after her owner passed away. If I could have swung it, I would have gotten that one too.

Lively Lady in the slot. 

954985338_ScreenShot2021-03-11at4_23_33PM.png

1881592420_ScreenShot2021-03-11at4_23_50PM.png

• Like 4

One more if you allow me - My son and I sailing Pretty Penny next to Lively Lady after an estuary race. My son since the fall has joined the Navy. I now miss sailing with my boy.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

One more if you allow me - My son and I sailing Pretty Penny next to Lively Lady after an estuary race. My son since the fall has joined the Navy. I now miss sailing with my boy.

you may post at will, Sir!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Black Jack said:

since you asked.:)  

Killer boat Black Jack. I will keep an eye out for you on the Bay and shoot some photos if I see you. I'm off to Hawaii for ~3 weeks, but should be on the water shortly after I return. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Black Jack said:

That’s a great video.  Thanks for sharing it. Hope you have many more times sailing with your son. 

• Like 2
On 3/10/2021 at 10:30 PM, PeterRoss said:

Putting a wheel on that boat is like putting a western saddle on Seabiscut. Then ugly it up with the deck mounted pole and ask it to zigzag downwind on its worst possible point of sail. It is a mess and not the amazing One Ton she once was.

I foolishly let an ego driven nutsack buy our Ohlson 38. 44 years protecting the boat from local boatyard hacks was enough. I was talked into restoring one last time for him. What a stupid move, letting him buy the boat.

The dipshit got talked into a Forte deck pole POS. I booted the boat from my shop, refusing to allow those assholes to install that junk on my watch or in my shop. My dead dog built better carbon parts.

I loved that boat. Killed me to see what ego driven deep pocket stupidity was doing to the boat...all for the yacht club cocktail bullshit or some dumb bitch he was trolling. The final blow, that hound chaser put a wheel on the boat.....then sold it after a slew of dfl events.

I loved The Hawk in my teens, needless to say the Ohlson too. Both deserved better than the thoughtless downgrades, Viking Funerals. Sometimes being cut up is a better ending. I wish I cut Tynaje up. To the guy who bought it from the hoser who I sent packing, change the name of that boat. It is no longer Tynaje!

So what if some rich fuck wants to sail a Vintage yacht, why destroy that wonderful thoroughbred? The Hawk looks like shit in that photo with it's owner proudly standing behind the wheel. Cant handle a tiller, buy something else. 

JF, Butch should kneel at your feet and beg forgiveness for cutting your sails up. He truly is an asshole.

Yikes Peter.... having seen the Hawk pre restoration (anyone else would Have used a chainsaw) and BBY’s restoration, I have to say she’s pretty sweet.  There are some aspects of the cockpit layout and trim that I find odd,  but t’s not my boat, and overall it’s pretty damn cool.  They’re fast too!     

• Like 1
On 3/11/2021 at 7:50 PM, Black Jack said:

Ok - please know I am a huge Gary Mull fan.

She is one of 4 Mull 30s. Each one is different. Over the years the shape hull has been shared over numerous designs with a different cabins in such vessels as the Newport 30 to the exceptionally fast, high masted Humboldt 30.

BlackJack, I know you're a huge fan of Gary Mull's work, I very much like your Pretty Penny, and I have great respect for the success of many of his shapes and stylings too.  But I can't see any similarities in hull shape or just about anything else between the Mull 30 and the Humboldt 30:  they're both associated with Gary Mull, they're both 30', and they both have short cabin trunks with two windows per side.  Beyond that, I don't see much that's been shared...

So what'm I missing?

Cheers!

On 3/11/2021 at 3:08 PM, Black Jack said:

HUMBOLDT 30 drawing

On 3/11/2021 at 2:30 PM, PeterRoss said:

Personally, I don't take quite such a polarised view on what one should or should not do with old race boats.

I've done my fair share of both racing and cruising, on old IOR 1-tonners mostly. The issue, for me, is that unmodified, they need a lot of crew, strong crew, crew who know what they are doing... I've sailed for years on 3 different 1 tonners, all of which needed 9 crew in order to get them up around their polars. 

When these old warhorses get a little long in the tooth and shiny, new, faster, more glamorous boats come along, it becomes progressively harder to put these big powerful boats on the start line, because organising a crew of 9 is tough for a boat that has none of the pulling power of the newer boats.

So, should these boats slowly rot on mooring balls?

From my point of view, anyone who wants to take one and spend money making it something that matters to them... have at it.

Your mileage may vary (and for the poster above, it obviously does)

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Weyalan said:

Personally, I don't take quite such a polarised view on what one should or should not do with old race boats.

I've done my fair share of both racing and cruising, on old IOR 1-tonners mostly. The issue, for me, is that unmodified, they need a lot of crew, strong crew, crew who know what they are doing... I've sailed for years on 3 different 1 tonners, all of which needed 9 crew in order to get them up around their polars. 

When these old warhorses get a little long in the tooth and shiny, new, faster, more glamorous boats come along, it becomes progressively harder to put these big powerful boats on the start line, because organising a crew of 9 is tough for a boat that has none of the pulling power of the newer boats.

So, should these boats slowly rot on mooring balls?

From my point of view, anyone who wants to take one and spend money making it something that matters to them... have at it.

Your mileage may vary (and for the poster above, it obviously does)

Yeah, I don't think my boat will ever have the crew of 12+ rockstars or the rags that won a SF Big Boat series, but she's a darn fast cruiser and will be a lot of fun on the ocean for 6-7 of us. That big deep keel also makes her very forgiving with a reef and the family on a normal summer day on the bay...

I'm not sure anyone was complaining too much about changing/upgrading the deck layout. 90% of us commented on the klugey looking trav/too small wheel set up, vice the original tiller.  Also the short above deck sprit looks a lot (to me anyway) as a serious afterthought.  I would think those changes could have been done in a much more thoughtful and aesthetic manner...

I've often thought about re-doing an older IOR boat.  I'd aim in the 3/4 tonner range due to ultimate budget limitations, and the knowledge that you'd need a good chunk of the budget to upgrade and redo the deck layout to take advantage of newer technology and approaches...

I do miss a good winch farm though :rolleyes: 

I am not into power boats, but I stumbled onto this video on Youtube and wow.  Gorgeous.

7 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I am not into power boats, but I stumbled onto this video on Youtube and wow.  Gorgeous.

Looks nice on the outside.  Interior is bizarre.  

On 3/13/2021 at 1:02 PM, CriticalPath said:

BlackJack, I know you're a huge fan of Gary Mull's work, I very much like your Pretty Penny, and I have great respect for the success of many of his shapes and stylings too.  But I can't see any similarities in hull shape or just about anything else between the Mull 30 and the Humboldt 30:  they're both associated with Gary Mull, they're both 30', and they both have short cabin trunks with two windows per side.  Beyond that, I don't see much that's been shared...

So what'm I missing?

Cheers!

HUMBOLDT 30 drawing

Your point is noted. If i can i will put them side by side this week as the Humboldt 30 is across the fairway.  The outward hull design is developmental, progressive thing based on builders, materials, keel, bow/stern changed according to vogue. The two Mull 30 sisters in the photo with the Humboldt between the masts.

5A34F030-683A-4BA4-9E27-FC3CB3321623_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d342a90946a9a59932e1185edf73cc4f.jpeg

Would you say adding a sugar scope like her younger sister makes this a different model boat?

images.jpg

This is a listing for MEANDER, an Alden cutter, built in 1951. I think she's a handsome boat, but I was really taken with the beauty of her interior. I've included one photo, but use the link to look at the rest. A certain je ne sais quoi.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1951/classic-john-alden-cutter-3724472/

1269301268_ScreenShot2021-03-16at1_49_10PM.thumb.png.ca2373047ae760a5057d826d2fc6f5e9.png

• Like 5
On 3/16/2021 at 12:14 PM, Black Jack said:

Would you say adding a sugar scope like her younger sister makes this a different model boat?

images.jpg

Not sure what point you're trying to make so I'll bite.  Yes, adding a transom extension to an existing design modifies a boat and may impact it's performance, utlity, and beauty, but it is still just an extension to an existing design.  I still maintain there is absolutely nothing in the hullshapes of the Mull 30 and Humboldt 30 that is "shared" beyond the items I already mentioned.

Cheers!

Bill Tripp designed 55ft AURORA -- Line honors winner FASTNET 1993 disqualified for a start incident.... Multiple Winner in other Ocean races....

May be an image of outdoors

• Like 6
On 3/16/2021 at 12:02 PM, SloopJonB said:

Speaking of bizarre...

https://thunderbirdmarine.com/yacht-sales/28-jasper-marine-freedom-28/

https://thunderbirdmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/IMG_2607-1400x1050.jpg

You'd get almost $25K change from a 1/2 million $ bill.

For a 28'

Absolutely horrible. 600 HP. Strapped-in, high speed, boating, in an ugly boat.

On 3/16/2021 at 12:02 PM, SloopJonB said:

Speaking of bizarre...

https://thunderbirdmarine.com/yacht-sales/28-jasper-marine-freedom-28/

https://thunderbirdmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/IMG_2607-1400x1050.jpg

You'd get almost $25K change from a 1/2 million $ bill.

For a 28'

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/what-the-hell-is-that/3978013

17 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Bill Tripp designed 55ft AURORA -- Line honors winner FASTNET 1993 disqualified for a start incident.... Multiple Winner in other Ocean races....

That pic was taken at her builder's yard, Brooklin Boat Yard. They don't do disposable. I went aboard when she was there and she was pristine after 27 years of hard use. 

Modern cold molded construction by a good yard produces excellent boats, and nobody does cold molded better. 

• Like 3
On 3/17/2021 at 6:12 PM, CriticalPath said:

Not sure what point you're trying to make so I'll bite.  Yes, adding a transom extension to an existing design modifies a boat and may impact it's performance, utlity, and beauty, but it is still just an extension to an existing design.  I still maintain there is absolutely nothing in the hullshapes of the Mull 30 and Humboldt 30 that is "shared" beyond the items I already mentioned.

Cheers!

Think of these Mull 30s in a design evolution continum over a 15 year period. Each has an added assocate designer flair put into the basic shape and fit into a period of rule racing. The boats begin in proto IOR and end in the MORC 30 rule starting in 1966. In the years follwing - things done for what was in vogue or could give advantage to the newest rule. Fattening them up with foam sides, keel, rudder and sugar scoops.  Mull 30 to Mull 30 Horse to Humboldt 30. The more plumb bow as late stage develpment as influenced by Sparky, the most modern of Mull 30 designs when Jim Donovan was working with Gary in the early 80s.  The numbers below reflect hull differences in explorations in rules while returning to find spartan comfort 

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.57.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.48.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.46.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.43.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.42.17 AM.png

308801788_ScreenShot2021-03-19at10_51_22AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.27.35 AM.png

On 3/19/2021 at 8:34 AM, Cruisin Loser said:

Modern cold molded construction by a good yard produces excellent boats, and nobody does cold molded better. 

Hmmm not so sure about that statement here in the home of the Cup Laurie Davidson 47 triple skin cold moulded Kauri masterpiece Grand Prix.

772907847_ScreenShot2021-03-20at9_35_14AM.thumb.png.0bafc2e4840f90325280de07e05eb3b9.png

8934154_ScreenShot2021-03-20at9_35_28AM.thumb.png.67688b3d3857c2168c345ad0f3aaa11a.png

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/2996376995?bof=9Z6hg4L3

• Like 5
29 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Hmmm not so sure about that statement here in the home of the Cup Laurie Davidson 47 triple skin cold moulded Kauri masterpiece Grand Prix.

772907847_ScreenShot2021-03-20at9_35_14AM.thumb.png.0bafc2e4840f90325280de07e05eb3b9.png

8934154_ScreenShot2021-03-20at9_35_28AM.thumb.png.67688b3d3857c2168c345ad0f3aaa11a.png

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/2996376995?bof=9Z6hg4L3

You can't do this to me.

Really.

Sending me to bed with the feeling that my life will remain unfullfilled if I can't have this boat. 

Thanks.

;)

What a beautiful, intelligent boat. Great find!

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

That is a cool boat. Split level cockpit an interesting feature. Kinda big for my taste but there are a lot of details obviously done right (the toerails for the foredeck, rising up from none) and the overall proportions are quite pretty

Thanks!

FB- Doug

18 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

The Jasper Marine boat looks somewhat better on video:

Uhmm... no, it doesn't.

18 hours ago, Priscilla said:

I did not say "they are better than anyone", I said no one does it better. There is a difference.

I'm happy to grant that others, including the builder of the work of art you posted, do equally lovely work.

That really is beautiful.

• Like 1
On 3/17/2021 at 9:33 PM, MauiPunter said:

So would be feasible to do a full cruising makeover of Aurora (shorten keel and add a bulb, simplify/electrify handling gear, etc) or heresy to castrate this deep ocean racer?   

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

That really is beautiful.

True very few yachts have really grabbed my attention like Grand Prix and a old mate purchased her many years ago and what a cracker balanced mile eater she is.

Sure the cockpit layout is dated and one double berth could be considered either opulent or impractical but her sea manners are exemplary.

She is now once again back on the market looking stunning after receiving a comprehensive birthday a few years back.

Built to no rule by Philip Wilson one of an impressive handful of large Laurie Davidson wooden taonga the first inner skin is longitudinal strip kauri and that honey look is just how she presents.

Kauri is a protected species here in the home of the Cup and these finely crafted beauties are not only a testament to the skills of the boatbuilders but also the magnificent timber it is.

https://www.pressreader.com/new-zealand/boating-nz/20170301/283523681160486

4E7E2C12-9EB2-4DBB-96E6-F743F76F57B7.jpeg.45f51308200e0f64ba4b75ae48b0d375.jpeg

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Vorticity said:

So would be feasible to do a full cruising makeover of Aurora (shorten keel and add a bulb, simplify/electrify handling gear, etc) or heresy to castrate this deep ocean racer?   

I'll be at the yard monday, I could ask what they think.

TBH, when I saw her and heard the price, I considered buying her as a race boat for Bda, Transatlantic, etc., with friends. Then sanity prevailed.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

TBH, when I saw her and heard the price, I considered buying her as a race boat for Bda, Transatlantic, etc., with friends. Then sanity prevailed.

Surely with a boat as special as that, sanity consists of doing whatever is needed to buy her?

On 3/11/2021 at 6:03 AM, Kris Cringle said:

Looks like THE HAWK. 

98900824_TheHAWK1.thumb.jpg.749cfcd57702d74dede863c0203e6ddd.jpg

88670610_TheHAWK3.thumb.jpg.74f74ea7373132bb533f12172adec1d4.jpg

It was in Rockport in 2019

384052135_TheHAWK2.thumb.jpg.a38b7a35fe5b1278a2b1b49751509f07.jpg

Snapped this of The Hawk the other day. Gives you an idea of the underbody. IMG_1727.thumb.jpg.09e1a693243941b5c1adb4a2e8facd6b.jpg

• Like 2
On 3/20/2021 at 2:24 PM, Vorticity said:

So would be feasible to do a full cruising makeover of Aurora (shorten keel and add a bulb, simplify/electrify handling gear, etc)

I'm gonna just pretend you never said that.

But in all seriousness, the first thing I see if I were looking at that boat is running back stays that I do NOT want to deal with in the ocean.

And if you require a mast / rigging rework to get rid of the runners, I suspect it's already too expensive to be worth it.

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Who ever did that to Hawks cockpit deserves to be keelhauled.....twice.

E9A3BC6B-B74E-46BD-89EF-59B2E3D190E0.jpeg.98ec5a8f6a5e8f900af444491f294cc1.jpeg

I'm not a fan of the cockpit either. The traveler and pedestal are massive. Switching helmsman would be a real climb.

It's especially unfortunate because it looks like the traveler could have been located aft of the cockpit. While I prefer tillers, I get the wheel. The smallish wheel and a small pedestal would have worked nicely with an aft-of-the-cockpit traveler.

• Like 1

The more I look at that abortion of a cockpit the more upset I become crikey what self respecting professional boatbuilder would agree to do such a thing keelhaul them as well I say... twice.

You could as Bull suggests easily relocate the traveller aft but no wheel please.

P6080500-copy.thumb.jpeg.c640ab432c3a134da976a36be5c90db7.jpeg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

I'm gonna just pretend you never said that.

But in all seriousness, the first thing I see if I were looking at that boat is running back stays that I do NOT want to deal with in the ocean.

And if you require a mast / rigging rework to get rid of the runners, I suspect it's already too expensive to be worth it.

Checkstays, as she has a perm backstay.   We have checks, they stabilize everything nicely.

She's lovely, and worthy, just a bit too big for my wallet. My rebuild on my 43'er stretched me, double the costs at 55'?

CL - that boat would love you as an owner.