6 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

This is 1940's design, originally in wood: "a Mcvay Bluenose 23. it's a Canadian racing class designed by the same person who designed the racing schooner bluenose.

image.thumb.png.c66bd1f2dfac94e15debdc8530f14949.png

Should be fishing schooner. 

they were after the fisherman’s cup after all. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Adagio just started the Port Huron to Mackinaw race In her 52'nd year of racing. First large wood-epoxy boat boat built without fasteners. She rates faster than the Santa Cruz 70's.

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Available as a sloop or yawl.

Posted Images

May not be visible, however, all the inside and outside corners are rounded out instead of squares off like it was formerly. All nice yachts require a soft transition from gloss to non skid. 

0AC956FE-6B8D-4F12-9082-C3F88CDC6F65.jpeg

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

A 30-footer with a six-foot tail and a paleolithic cockpit isn't my idea of fun to sail,

I happen to like long tails, and if a tiller = Paleolithic, then call me Thag.

21638184_ScreenShot2021-07-22at6_50_27PM.png.44fc741855a7e25f05c1cce4075f5583.png

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

To be fair, Olin was born in the early years of the 20th century and didn’t have the benefit of 100 years of yacht design to help him design the wonderful yachts he produced. I enjoyed a sail with him on a New York40 years back and he was a true, humble gentleman with zero ego. He always looked toward the future from what I gathered and was happy to have been a small part of the legacy of yachting.

A small part?

Olin was THE giant of yacht design in the 20th century. S&S were unequaled from 1931 to the mid 70's when he retired.

He was an old man, nearly retired before the young guns like Peterson and Holland took over the cutting edge.

While he was working, Olin was always at the top of the podium.

I know, I just didn’t want to hail him as godlike. I was definitely awestruck hanging out with him but what do you say to someone like him or Nat Hereshoff? You talk about the nice day and how well the boat is sailing!

50 minutes ago, Bull City said:

21638184_ScreenShot2021-07-22at6_50_27PM.png.44fc741855a7e25f05c1cce4075f5583.png

The tail is long and the tiller strong!

AFAA292E-B36E-451D-A1E9-1A7FBAD9E96D.jpeg

37BF894D-A6C7-4A84-9E7E-8DF99BB85B1F.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I know, I just didn’t want to hail him as godlike. I was definitely awestruck hanging out with him but what do you say to someone like him or Nat Hereshoff? You talk about the nice day and how well the boat is sailing!

In the world of sailboats he was a God. 

After reading his books it was apparent he knew how good he was, he was just modest and unassuming about it.

• Like 1

It’s an Alden 38 One Design from 1948. I’ll have better pics tomorrow when we prime the decks. A few other pics ended the last page here.

Sloop, my cutter was designed and built to race the 1950 Newport Bermuda race. I’ve wanted to race it so I could compete with Dorade, but Covid and divorce have pushed back my race schedule. Still on my bucket list. 

A55E8D0D-FD35-4CEB-8B52-9BF6AB56E8FB.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Madness lurks in me. I spotted this long, slender, tiller steered vixen on YachtWorld. 

1982 Borresen BB10

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/---3845416/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjcnvoLL58QIVSdcRCB2uzQnLEAEYASADEgIcQPD_BwE

466919014_ScreenShot2021-07-23at10_49_59AM.thumb.png.51806eea2eab735d19a7d75f81d1fd5a.png

Fascinating, it's like a Scandinavian-style Hobie 33. Except the BB10 appears to predate the Hobie, so I guess the Hobie 33 is like a west-coast US version of a BB10.

Intriguing boat, built more for speed than comfort as they say.  The non-self-bailing cockpit could be an issue for some, but I'm envious of the access to the engine and stuffing box!

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

The new boat demon seems to be alive in Bull's brain tissue. First the BB10, and now Quiet Tune!

Unlike the leadmines you were contemplating last year, I would not try to deter you from for forsaking the H-boat for either the BB10 or Quiet Tune.  Both are beauties.

But with Quiet Tune, I hope you would make sure that you had a big budget available for the upkeep.

On 7/22/2021 at 11:52 PM, Bull City said:
On 7/22/2021 at 10:24 PM, TwoLegged said:

A 30-footer with a six-foot tail and a paleolithic cockpit isn't my idea of fun to sail,

We'll have to disagree on the long tail, but I too love tillers.

My objection to that cockpit is that like other cockpits of that era, its ergonomics are grim.   The tiller sweeps most of the cockpit, and the poor crew have to clamber over it to get winches outside the coamings.  That's the sailing equivalent of the QWERTY keyboard layout, which was designed to be as unusable as possible.

On 7/23/2021 at 12:16 AM, SloopJonB said:

Olin was THE giant of yacht design in the 20th century. S&S were unequaled from 1931 to the mid 70's when he retired.

He was an old man, nearly retired before the young guns like Peterson and Holland took over the cutting edge.

While he was working, Olin was always at the top of the podium.

Hmm.  Sure, he designed race-winning boats of a particular type, and was top of that game for 4 decades.  And many of his boats were pretty.  He had an eye for finding the elegance within whatever shape was in vogue at the time.

But his niche was a narrow one, focused mostly on the types of boat sailed by NYYC members.  I loved his designs when I was a kid, but the older I have got, the more I have appreciated the work of designers who followed a different direction to the CCA/IOR heavy boats which Olin created for the blazer-wearing classes.  Uffa Fox and Bill Lapworth were drawing much more interesting boats well before Peterson appeared.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bull City said:

The new boat demon seems to be alive in Bull's brain tissue. First the BB10, and now Quiet Tune!

Herreshoff Paul Luke Quiet Tune Daysailer

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/herreshoff-paul-luke-quiet-tune-daysailer-3857702/

1977938127_ScreenShot2021-07-23at8_15_32PM.thumb.png.46ddd4a030e2ce865efc906014d92801.png

Looks like they've (sensibly) modified the original cockpit design to have some proper seats and a foot-well.  The original just has a shallow pit to sprawl in... not terribly comfortable.

Original Cockpit:

Screenshot_20210724_091446.thumb.png.509f4deae2dec5b6766be21bc747d0dd.png

Luke Cockpit:

7955346_20210717173148770_1_XLARGE.jpg.7c48ba586d6ac237e2324a25438d8c5a.jpg

I've always thought QUIET TUNE was a great name for that boat.  Couldn't suit the particular design more.

I never cared for the sheer of that boat - looked like it was down by the stern.

Adagio just started the Port Huron to Mackinaw race In her 52'nd year of racing. First large wood-epoxy boat boat built without fasteners. She rates faster than the Santa Cruz 70's.

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 8.20.19 AM.png

• Like 13
16 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

My objection to that cockpit is that like other cockpits of that era, its ergonomics are grim.   The tiller sweeps most of the cockpit, and the poor crew have to clamber over it to get winches outside the coamings.  That's the sailing equivalent of the QWERTY keyboard layout, which was designed to be as unusable as possible.

Well.............. tillers ain'r for sissies.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Bull City said:

Herreshoff Paul Luke Quiet Tune Daysailer

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/herreshoff-paul-luke-quiet-tune-daysailer-3857702/

1977938127_ScreenShot2021-07-23at8_15_32PM.thumb.png.46ddd4a030e2ce865efc906014d92801.png

Well, tragically, this boat’s sheer is NOT like the original and is really messed up.  While I never liked the ‘no seat, bathtub’ cockpit of the original, the above boat’s solution is no better...   Overall, she’s a caricature of the original Quiet Tune.

5 hours ago, Bull City said:

Well.............. tillers ain'r for sissies.

Bull, I finally got Brenda in the mood to replace Anna Eleise and Getaway.  So, we have been looking at boats as well.  She has been pushing the length.  I found a Santana 20 that I really liked but I think that spooked Brenda.  She knows that we have more than enough insurance money to pay for it outright, and she believed I was dead serous. (I was/am) Now I love helming the little Santana’s but I believe, Brenda thinks a larger boat would be more comfortable.  (They are) 

So, like you, I have the new boat fever.  Unlike you, I have to decide where I want it, at our home on Caney Creek Lake, Lake DeGray in Arkansas or on the Choctawhatchee near our son’s home.  

Now to the subject at hand.  Quiet Tunes does not strike me as right.  A very traditional boat built of aluminum?  Aluminum in the cuddly cabin ruins the entire aesthetic of a traditional boat.  Nothing wrong with an aluminum Jon boat or a racing 12 meter, but a traditional daysailer?  

Worse, for a carefree daysailer of that size, a ketch is just plain wrong,  The boat is just way too busy for what it is. Everything is in the way of everything else.  

Now the little pre-Hobie 33 :D 

28 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

So, like you, I have the new boat fever.  I think infatuations for other boats may be a chronic condition. I'm not going to sell my H-Boat anytime soon, but I do experience infatuations.

Now to the subject at hand.  Quiet Tunes does not strike me as right.  A very traditional boat built of aluminum?  Aluminum in the cuddly cabin ruins the entire aesthetic of a traditional boat.  Nothing wrong with an aluminum Jon boat or a racing 12 meter, but a traditional daysailer?  I agree on the aluminum. It seems to open a Pandora's Box of dissimilar metals issues.

Worse, for a carefree daysailer of that size, a ketch is just plain wrong,  The boat is just way too busy for what it is. Everything is in the way of everything else.  I don't agree on this. The Rozinante, one of the most successful day sailers ever, is a ketch rig. So you have one more sail to raise. Big deal. It tacks itself. In Nova Scotia, there are plenty of small schooner rigs - one more self tending sail to raise. Sloop rigs are fine, but schooners, ketches and yawls have many  benefits for little additional effort.

• Like 1

Good points, Bull.  but in my mind, if I was going to use a split rig, I would prefer a yawl.  I just can’t get over having the mast right in front off me while I’m steering.  

Yep, I can see the advantages though.  Smaller sails, lighter loads, and versatility.  

I stumbled upon this yesterday and was quite enamored with it.  I feel like it was discussed here before but even so, it looks good so why not post another picture.  F7E7C7A4-729B-4E90-8BD3-AC603E3DF7D5.thumb.jpeg.1203bc428907297cf4606f8f83d12715.jpeg

• Like 3

Bull, I’m helping the new owner, so I can only produce what I can and keep the project moving toward a launch date and a nice paint job. Had to do the non skid first since the toe rail needs a little more love before painting. Some quick filler/fairing in the early morning and by noon should have a primer on all the gloss trim work areas 

25EC3ACE-7373-4041-87EB-F215FFC29FD1.jpeg

7939E0E0-3745-48AD-8D85-265B7DA8D68B.jpeg

3 hours ago, T sailor said:

I stumbled upon this yesterday and was quite enamored with it.  I feel like it was discussed here before but even so, it looks good so why not post another picture.  F7E7C7A4-729B-4E90-8BD3-AC603E3DF7D5.thumb.jpeg.1203bc428907297cf4606f8f83d12715.jpeg

zingara2.thumb.jpeg.d9d57c8a1262f6e6dab1084cb3729f3d.jpeg

Nice pic (took the liberty to edit it somewhat...)

Zingara is a very, very beautiful boat, and also a quite succesful racer, it seems. She won the Ida Lewis race in her class last year, here is a cutout from the race report. It looks quite funny, that stylish yawl and the TPs on the same page:

zingara3.jpg.ac0935b72b10ba67ee2db0965f9b22cd.jpg

Here is an interview with the new owners.

Reminds me much of Holger Danske:

VIDEO: Aboard a Legendary Boat, K. Aage Nielsen's HOLGER DANSKE

• Like 3
On 7/23/2021 at 8:43 AM, Bull City said:

Mrs. Bull and I visited Nova Scotia several years ago. There is a lovely Bluenose in the Maritime Museum in Halifax:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3847.thumb.jpg.374eaec5b9c219637aff313cea3b2803.jpg

1146667611_pNeV4JYSo6NF0XH66ASZQ_thumb_586d.thumb.jpg.738708c0e4a789a63899a2c5e31cec7a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3849.thumb.jpg.38e0e6d4e4add72cb93db3fc5c5622f1.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_384b.thumb.jpg.17b9f57177efe57e1733187cba3805d7.jpg

Is that a clinker-built, Providence Whaleboat in the background? What a beauty.

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Is that a clinker-built, Providence Whaleboat in the background? What a beauty.

I am a bit hazy (many years since I visited that museum) but I think that may be a Sable Island wagon-launched lifeboat. It could very well be descended from the whaleboat.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Bull, I finally got Brenda in the mood to replace Anna Eleise and Getaway.  So, we have been looking at boats as well.  She has been pushing the length.  I found a Santana 20 that I really liked but I think that spooked Brenda.  She knows that we have more than enough insurance money to pay for it outright, and she believed I was dead serous. (I was/am) Now I love helming the little Santana’s but I believe, Brenda thinks a larger boat would be more comfortable.  (They are) 

So, like you, I have the new boat fever.  Unlike you, I have to decide where I want it, at our home on Caney Creek Lake, Lake DeGray in Arkansas or on the Choctawhatchee near our son’s home.  

Now to the subject at hand.  Quiet Tunes does not strike me as right.  A very traditional boat built of aluminum?  Aluminum in the cuddly cabin ruins the entire aesthetic of a traditional boat.  Nothing wrong with an aluminum Jon boat or a racing 12 meter, but a traditional daysailer?  

Worse, for a carefree daysailer of that size, a ketch is just plain wrong,  The boat is just way too busy for what it is. Everything is in the way of everything else.  

Better to go with one of the Joel White/BBY adaptations. 

On 11/19/2018 at 4:22 PM, Rasputin22 said:

An acquired taste maybe?

Image result for sponberg yachts

She is eye-catching! She is a trifle and quite tasty. We slightly outpaced her yesterday dead downwind through the Thames. We were in a 13 foot sloop rigged dinghy. LOL. She needed a preventer and a vang and a whisker pole, I cannot imagine we could have passed her then!.

The first thing that we noticed was the rig in the distance, "he is that another tri?" Then closer, "hey, what IS that?!" So we tacked along the shore until we got closer and a bit inside Ocean Beach we tacked behind her and chased her to see what she is.

The sheer looked "backwards very reminiscent of a Junk. She sure looked like wood to me. and sure enough!

I enjoyed watching her change the visual landscape.

• Like 1

Speaking of changing the visual landscape, this 50' Roger Hill sloop caught my eye. 

Very nicely set up for long distance cruising. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/2852014562?bof=Lt0Wxzy8

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 8.32.21 AM.png

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

Our previous vessel TIOGA (IV) from the drafting board of K. Aage Nielsen. 

The family we sold her to visited us this weekend.

17F7C9F9-7D43-4988-846A-C61280A3320D.jpeg

That's pure poetry Kim. 'Course Frankie is pretty good verse and meter too...

• Like 2

I've never had a problem with squid in my cockpit or even on deck for that matter.

Certainly not worth almost a grand of Euros.

14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I've never had a problem with squid in my cockpit or even on deck for that matter.

Certainly not worth almost a grand of Euros.

Sloop, you have probably never had a a boat catch fire or sink, but you still pay for insurance against such things.

This €917 is your one-off insurance against the squid apocalypse.  You will probably never need it ... but when you do need it, you will really need it.

10 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Very nicely set up for long distance cruising. 

That cockpit is sized for Leprechauns.

The whole pilot house set up is so hard to get right and sadly like Elliott Hill hasn’t nailed it here either.

65A77186-BEC5-4CE2-BE18-740A11C1B7E8.thumb.jpeg.c737297f47fca927adb378b3184555b5.jpeg

A1024210-7D8B-4352-9373-B5ED65DAA065.thumb.jpeg.b45803bb853de2b9dafe1b83821e73f6.jpeg

Roger however does a very decent power cat.

2F151A1F-AA15-4FD1-AAC5-1E6536BBC2EE.jpeg.00fd8f971d7b3e706314701881a0d3b9.jpeg

7 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Sloop, you have probably never had a a boat catch fire or sink, but you still pay for insurance against such things.

This €917 is your one-off insurance against the squid apocalypse.  You will probably never need it ... but when you do need it, you will really need it.

The best anti squid insurance IMHO would be a black or at least a very dark grey paint....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Priscilla said:

That cockpit is sized for Leprechauns.

The whole pilot house set up is so hard to get right and sadly like Elliott Hill hasn’t nailed it here either.

A1024210-7D8B-4352-9373-B5ED65DAA065.thumb.jpeg.b45803bb853de2b9dafe1b83821e73f6.jpeg

Roger however does a very decent power cat.

Can you see anything sitting at the wheel? Or even standing?

3 hours ago, Panoramix said:

The best anti squid insurance IMHO would be a black or at least a very dark grey paint....

Black paint would be problematic when the sun shines, unless the boat's crew enjoy have their arse toasted when they sit.

But the fact that the anti-squid paint on offer is grey indicates that JPK is thinking along the same lines as you.

7 hours ago, Panoramix said:

A friend of mine thought he was getting squid marks on his deck, but it turned out that one of his guests was wearing non-non-marking shoes. He had the anti-squid insurance, but didn't buy the rider for non-non-marking shoes. He has both now.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

That's pure poetry Kim. 'Course Frankie is pretty good verse and meter too...

I think TIOGA is pretty and FRANCIS is handsome. TIOGA’s owners agreed with me as we sat on the terrace and watched them happily sitting out in the harbor. It was interesting to compare the freeboard, sheer, bow, stern, etc between the two vessels.

7BB3B777-6B7A-4CD0-A7D3-F68CFE6484F2.jpeg

2A13744B-5DF7-4708-B5D4-21C6254CFF07.jpeg

• Like 4
1 minute ago, kimbottles said:

I think TIOGA is pretty and FRANCIS is handsome. TIOGA’s owners agreed with me as we sat on the terrace and watched them happily sitting out in the harbor. It was interesting to compare the freeboard, sheer, bow, stern, etc between the two vessels.

7BB3B777-6B7A-4CD0-A7D3-F68CFE6484F2.jpeg

2A13744B-5DF7-4708-B5D4-21C6254CFF07.jpeg

Maybe this one is better as it has the lifelines….

CF65EB6D-EC4E-406F-B3CA-235D9D167F52.jpeg

• Like 1
On 7/23/2021 at 10:14 PM, Sail4beer said:

F76CA9F1-A9EE-495C-8439-0635AAA9B536.jpeg

6CD5E2BE-09E6-411F-AD3E-33F94A04FBA4.jpeg

I remember that boat when it came on the market back in 2018 out in Michigan.  I think it was named flame, Alden design no 757-W wrapped in fiberglass over the existing wood boat.  Had a 2 cylinder gas snowmobile engine fitted!  loved the lines on this boat and wanted to pick it up sooo bad! I hope it makes it back to the water soon!  more pictures please :wub:

22 hours ago, kimbottles said:

Our previous vessel TIOGA (IV) from the drafting board of K. Aage Nielsen. 

The family we sold her to visited us this weekend.

17F7C9F9-7D43-4988-846A-C61280A3320D.jpeg

Is TIOGA a woody?

8 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

Can you see anything sitting at the wheel? Or even standing?

Maybe you poke your head out of that Bimini flap to gain some forward vision whilst standing on the aft cockpit seat.

021F7103-E239-4E64-93B4-C80913F9E996.thumb.jpeg.03e78e14713d167a42cfb14ac7017d8f.jpeg

7 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Black paint would be problematic when the sun shines, unless the boat's crew enjoy have their arse toasted when they sit.

But the fact that the anti-squid paint on offer is grey indicates that JPK is thinking along the same lines as you.

I think that they meant anti skid paint as that isn't the proper boat to fish squids! I like to eat them but definitely don'tlike the ink they tend to leave everywhere!

1 hour ago, not a sock said:

I remember that boat when it came on the market back in 2018 out in Michigan.  I think it was named flame, Alden design no 757-W wrapped in fiberglass over the existing wood boat.  Had a 2 cylinder gas snowmobile engine fitted!  loved the lines on this boat and wanted to pick it up sooo bad! I hope it makes it back to the water soon!  more pictures please :wub:

No problem! You know the boat well. The motor kicked last week and a mechanic is getting on it this week while the owner is gone. I’m going to finish the deck paint while he’s gone so it gets done properly…

He’s painting the mast tan with all new standing rigging and halyards and fitting kevlar sails that he has left over as a sailmaker. Next project for him is a code zero for cruising north. Brightwork will be addressed after the sailing season ends in late October. Expecting to launch in 3 weeks. 

I was busy today and only got one pic of the starboard non skid and partial port side painted. The second coat really brought out the white. 

1393BA9B-832A-43E0-A9A2-C4BF29F68103.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

I think that they meant anti skid paint

That's what I thought too.  Anti-squid paint is not a thing.

But I reckoned I could have fun with the typo, by keeping a straight face and not using the sarcasm font.

That's what I thought too.  Anti-squid paint is not a thing. It's not? Shit. What about the insurance? I'm gonna call my agent! Are there freshwater squids?

But I reckoned I could have fun with the typo, by keeping a straight face and not using the sarcasm font.

1 hour ago, Panoramix said:

I think that they meant anti skid paint as that isn't the proper boat to fish squids! I like to eat them but definitely don'tlike the ink they tend to leave everywhere!

That's what I thought too.  Anti-squid paint is not a thing.

It's not a thing? WTF!!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Panoramix said:

I think that they meant anti skid paint

Captain Obvious (@CaptainObvious) | Twitter

Time to revisit that "Understanding humour" seminar.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

No problem! You know the boat well. The motor kicked last week and a mechanic is getting on it this week while the owner is gone. I’m going to finish the deck paint while he’s gone so it gets done properly…

He’s painting the mast tan with all new standing rigging and halyards and fitting kevlar sails that he has left over as a sailmaker. Next project for him is a code zero for cruising north. Brightwork will be addressed after the sailing season ends in late October. Expecting to launch in 3 weeks. 

I was busy today and only got one pic of the starboard non skid and partial port side painted. The second coat really brought out the white. 

1393BA9B-832A-43E0-A9A2-C4BF29F68103.jpeg

know it better then I should for never seeing it other then in pictures and email from over 1000 miles away!  built in the Quincy Adams yacht yard in 1946 for one Otto E. Stossel (news guy John Stossel's father) originally named Silver and then renamed Flame.  

Interesting heritage! I knew it was originally from Massachusetts and it probably hasn’t sailed in over 20 years. I’m impressed with the fiberglass job they did though looking at the bilges I can’t see why they did it, it’s really clean and tight.

The new owner is out of town for a few days but I’ll get more pics and info when we tackle the rest of the deck painting on Friday. Then it’s buffing the topsides, traveller installation,  mast painting, rigging and firing up the Chapparal motor for the shakedown cruise in NJ.

image.jpeg

4C1691C9-7D8E-41F0-BD91-084A1135972E.jpeg

10994DFC-8F0E-48F1-9403-10E838971B6B.jpeg

• Like 1

Too bad the decks are ‘glasses..and the Barney post and winch are gone from the cockpit. I’ll try to get some pics of that and below decks soon.

2AA1CF42-96A0-4139-87BC-5D1257D218A7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Too bad the decks are ‘glasses..and the Barney post and winch are gone from the cockpit. I’ll try to get some pics of that and below decks soon.

2AA1CF42-96A0-4139-87BC-5D1257D218A7.jpeg

I think I have seen the Mother of All Afterdecks. Wow!

It’s quite the elegant aft deck.

However, you have to be careful climbing aboard. The boat is so narrow that if you misjudge your step, you’re going right over the other side!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

you have to be careful climbing aboard. The boat is so narrow that if you misjudge your step, you’re going right over the other side!

That boat is also a good illustration of why rudder-attached-to-keel went out of fashion.  To reduce wetted surface, the horizontal length of the keel has been reduced so much that its trailing edge (where the rudder is attached) is barely behind the CLR.

It's more like an over-sized trim-tab than a rudder.  I wouldn't enjoy trying to steer out of a broach with that setup.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

Yes, TIOGA (IV) is double planked mahogany over cedar on oak frames. 1954 built by Baglietto in Italy.

She is a beauty.

26 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

Yes, TIOGA (IV) is double planked mahogany over cedar on oak frames. 1954 built by Baglietto in Italy.

Baglietto also used to build some mega sexy motor yachts.

Nobody does style like Italians.

image.jpeg.e8f64a4fba42f52895b7b37d78aec893.jpegVintage Baglietto - Baglietto Yacht | YachtForums: We Know Big Boats!

7 hours ago, 10thTonner said:
On 7/23/2021 at 10:51 AM, Bull City said:

Madness lurks in me. I spotted this long, slender, tiller steered vixen on YachtWorld. 

1982 Borresen BB10

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/---3845416/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjcnvoLL58QIVSdcRCB2uzQnLEAEYASADEgIcQPD_BwE

466919014_ScreenShot2021-07-23at10_49_59AM.thumb.png.51806eea2eab735d19a7d75f81d1fd5a.png

Expand  

Expand  

Do it. 

What! Kick out his beloved H-boat for a shinier, skinnier, new mistress!

With a better rating!

Men are heartless pigs!

FB- Doug

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

What! Kick out his beloved H-boat for a shinier, skinnier, new mistress!

With a better rating!

Men are heartless pigs!

The solution here is a threesome: Bull + H-boat + BB10

19 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

That boat is also a good illustration of why rudder-attached-to-keel went out of fashion.  To reduce wetted surface, the horizontal length of the keel has been reduced so much that its trailing edge (where the rudder is attached) is barely behind the CLR.

It's more like an over-sized trim-tab than a rudder.  I wouldn't enjoy trying to steer out of a broach with that setup.

The Dragon class solved that problem by making the rudder about as big as the keel. 

• Like 2

Yep. The Alden is steered by the sails with a little weather helm to induce lift without becoming a brake.

Bull, that BB has everything going for it except it’s location. That would be a worthy replacement for the H boat, which could easily find itself with a new owner.

17 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

...That would be a worthy replacement for the H boat, which could easily find itself with a new owner.

Come on guys - Bull hasn't even had a chance to try out the new pod drive yet! He's not going to let go of his girl that easily, especially when she has just has a makeover... He's just window shopping, like any normal, healthy male.

• Like 4