• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Adagio just started the Port Huron to Mackinaw race In her 52'nd year of racing. First large wood-epoxy boat boat built without fasteners. She rates faster than the Santa Cruz 70's.

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Does it come with a codpiece?  And I can easily singlehand or cruise with the wife and no crew. I say that a lot when I see an exotic, beautiful car, or a mansion that is just too f'n big

Posted Images

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I doubt many (or any) IOR boats were carvel planked.

Was there any purpose in that ridiculous little fillet in the transom that S&S were so enamored of for a few years in the 70's?.

Well, other than pissing off boatbuilders that is.

Tartan 41 - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy ForumsNorthstar 500 - Dryden | Thunder Bay Yacht ClubKeel repair on 1972 Hughes Northstar 1000 sailboat - Album on Imgur

Well, the owner said he wanted a wine glass transom...

8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I suspect the fillet was a solid piece that was added to the canoe body. Stronger and way less fussy.

Usually done in the mold. A little fussy to prevent voids between the gelcoat and the laminate, but not that bad for an experienced laminator. That's the great advantage of fiberglass construction.

Complex shapes such as tumblehome and reverse transoms usually require a split mold, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I suspect the reason was to reduce crossflow under the transom when the boat was heeled over. Not sure if it did much or not. Bob Perry would know.

By the way, many of the cold-molded IOR hulls had the rule-driven rudder skeg done as an external wood add-on to the fair body of the hull after the hull was molded. Same with the added B and girth station bumps.

We used to use a custom radius gauge to check that the bumps met the minimum radius requirements. I may still have one of those sitting around almost 40 years after it was last used in anger.

Likewise, on the 12mR Intrepid, the stern bustle added after the original construction was made out of pine, epoxy, and microballoons. A friend of mine, Paul Coble, who was project manager on Intrepid for several Cups, oversaw that and told me how it was done.

It was also fairly easy to undo after the fact if it proved to be wrong.

Race boats are always a work in progress. Since the 12mR AC boats were dry-sailed, it was fairly easy to keep  quick and dirty modifications from falling apart, and as long as the structural hull was not breached, you didn't compromise the Lloyds compliance.

On our dog walk yesterday I snapped this new build in the slings. All the new stuff around here is wood composite these days. 

From the builder: Under construction is Tripp Design #270. We are thrilled to collaborate with @trippdesignna @mcmnewport and wonderful owners. This is a performance oriented yacht with focus on ease of sailing short handed and single handed.

Tripp.thumb.jpg.2506ac10b220a154dbabbfeb932b337b.jpg

48 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

On our dog walk yesterday I snapped this new build in the slings. All the new stuff around here is wood composite these days. 

From the builder: Under construction is Tripp Design #270. We are thrilled to collaborate with @trippdesignna @mcmnewport and wonderful owners. This is a performance oriented yacht with focus on ease of sailing short handed and single handed.

Lobsterpot magnet.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Doghouse by Duffy?

Duffy-22-Sun-Cruiser-600x400-1 Sun Cruiser 22

2 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Probably a nice ride, but I don't envy that keel if it's getting sailed locally. 

4 hours ago, accnick said:

Usually done in the mold. A little fussy to prevent voids between the gelcoat and the laminate, but not that bad for an experienced laminator. That's the great advantage of fiberglass construction.

I was talking about traditional wooden yacht construction. Yes, you can do anything you want with fiberglass.

5 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Cabin trunk is a bit of a eyesore.

http://www.tripp.design/custom-yachts/on-the-boards/design-270-45-14m780E7808-F2A8-4EF5-BE56-64201DAF9662.thumb.jpeg.2e66bcd21908c9375cbb7a91517efd88.jpeg

Composite sprit would require only a small tin of varnish.

Nice stinkpot in the background.

F1F08101-4A4B-41CB-87C1-C7E450B3DD28.thumb.jpeg.eef41bd0e764ed185e1e5d69bb70954b.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

This ticks the boxes for several ongoing threads. 

2097416131_ScreenShot2021-10-17at3_29_31PM.thumb.png.9b671e513d249cf87e2b92a8e762d139.png

Couch sailing?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Cabin trunk is a bit of a eyesore.

http://www.tripp.design/custom-yachts/on-the-boards/design-270-45-14m780E7808-F2A8-4EF5-BE56-64201DAF9662.thumb.jpeg.2e66bcd21908c9375cbb7a91517efd88.jpeg

Composite sprit would require only a small tin of varnish.

Nice stinkpot in the background.

F1F08101-4A4B-41CB-87C1-C7E450B3DD28.thumb.jpeg.eef41bd0e764ed185e1e5d69bb70954b.jpeg

True.  That couch roof is a bit meh.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I was talking about traditional wooden yacht construction. Yes, you can do anything you want with fiberglass.

If it had been a wooden boat, that would have been and add-on, for sure. 

48 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

2097416131_ScreenShot2021-10-17at3_29_31PM.thumb.png.9b671e513d249cf87e2b92a8e762d139.png

Most uncomfortable helm seat.

Most uncomfortable crew seating.

Worst ergonomics for crew work.

Worst toilet facilities.

Not a candidate for ugly dodger thread, however.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

True.  That couch roof is a bit meh.

Way beyond meh and well into butt ugly.

Looks like he was trying for some sort of Herreshoff NY 30 look.

Even Herreshoff couldn't make that work.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Way beyond meh and well into butt ugly.

Looks like he was trying for some sort of Herreshoff NY 30 look.

Even Herreshoff couldn't make that work.

For those of us who have owned and loved Herreshoff designs from the early 20th century, you are really going to need to explain those comments with regard to the NY 30.

4 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

I think Mrs. Bull and I could Foxtrot or Cha-cha in that cockpit, while moored. That's about all I can say that's nice.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

The deckhouse is unattractive plain ugly. Alden could made something  nice.

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That would be like sailing in the bed of a pickup.

I thought this was the cool boats to admire thread, not the cockpit cushions and coamings thread.

Your statement-or opinion-could probably blanket most open cockpit racers, sport boats and (non traditional throwback) daysailers built in the last 20 or 30 years, of which this design is a hybrid. From the Farr 40 to the Columbia 32 to the VX1 to some of the RS boats, this cockpit design has been widely adopted and if well executed is a tad more comfortable than the flatbed of a pickup. It’s a sport boat/ daysailer, not a gunboat.

I posted it to take the edge off that eyebleach open cockpit day sailor above. Compare the two seating/hiking arrangements if you must...

Say what you want, but the lines on the Maxi Dolphin 33 are right on the money to my eye...and if you think it’s lacking in comfort for a sporty day sailor/racer(it has provisions for running back stays and some owners have a ‘race traveller’ fitted end boom) hunt down some pics of its small, minimalist but very well executed cabin.

The other thing that it’s got going for it over a flatbed pickup is a cooler compartment recessed under the cabin sole. A pickup would probably get by with a tin wash basin full of  ice or maybe a cheap Colemans. Not for this civilized beauty.

And as for a hillbilly diesel tank that any self respecting pickup driver might have on its flatbed, the Maxi Dolphin has pesky engine related things like that discreetly tucked away, like with its Vetus underwater exhaust...(insert gripe about needless complexity)...

Sure, this design is admittedly less comfortable than my current boat, but I still dig it enough to admire it.

42 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Interior...

4.jpg

Like I said, it’s a sport boat not a gunboat. It’s a cuddy cabin for sure...the version I saw was really well done with ultra suede throughout covering the fore peak, the stowaway head, and the two ample settees that are obscured in this decidedly sub par representation. High end stereo and a simple systems panel and vhf to round it out.

As long as activities were to be restricted to being seated or horizontal down below, I think I could hack it for a night or two...in my slip close to a real head and shower...

49 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Brisk conditions?  It's a lake boat.

Lakes can be brisk, and are frequently gusty.

Can you imagine getting hit with a big gust on VIRIELLA II, and heeling in excess of 45º, or a knock-down, (which I experienced on our lake) with just those little foot blocks to keep you on the windward side, or from a swan dive onto the main?

VIRIELLA is a Euro-trash an international luxury yacht - need I say more?

I kinda like VIRIELLA actually.  Its like a modern day version of a Herreshoff Watch Hill 15.  

image.png.c6f5ed8698b9dc4e4134b79d8a6e4957.png

or Buzzards Bay 18

image.png.63514170d002e59c0a60f1962cee50d5.png

50 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Lakes can be brisk, and are frequently gusty.

Can you imagine getting hit with a big gust on VIRIELLA II, and heeling in excess of 45º, or a knock-down, (which I experienced on our lake) with just those little foot blocks to keep you on the windward side, or from a swan dive onto the main?

I'm game to give it a go...

35 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I'm game to give it a go...

Be my guest. Those dance floor ballroom cockpits are worse than offset companionways.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

I kinda like VIRIELLA actually.  Its like a modern day version of a Herreshoff Watch Hill 15.  

image.png.c6f5ed8698b9dc4e4134b79d8a6e4957.png

or Buzzards Bay 18

image.png.63514170d002e59c0a60f1962cee50d5.png

Maui, I cannot agree with you on this one. Maybe "modern day" but also full of bad ideas.

• Like 1

I just feel like these Herreshoff models were the sports boat of their day with minimal to no accommodations.  This feels like a modern version of the same kind of thing and is very similar to the more racier versions like the Viper, Melges, Rocket, Shaw, SB20, etc...   This one is just fancier and less racier, but the layout and feel will be the same.

Top speed and new builder for the VX One

VX One Sails - One Design Sails and Accessories - Quantum Sails

J70 Running Rigging

Melges 20 - Melges

8 minutes ago, Bull City said:

@MauiPunter I get your point, but as an old fart a mature fellow, I would feel comfortable in the Herreshoff for hours on end; in one of those pictured above, no. 

Yea, I totally get it. I too would enjoy the H boats.  More relaxing.  The sport boats seem like work.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Brisk conditions?  It's a lake boat.

I've put the mast in the water on a lake 1.5 miles by 3. Gone from 3kts wind to 65 in -- not joking -- five seconds. The flat-cockpit daysailers pictured are specifically intended for mountain lakes like Garda, Geneva, and Como; and anyone who has sailed on Tahoe, Dillon, or Granby in the US has stories about sudden microbursts from completely random directions, often out of a blue sky. I like nice deep benches you can brace across when the world goes katabatic.

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Yea, I totally get it. I too would enjoy the H boats.  More relaxing.  The sport boats seem like work.

Yeah, you would. At least on the VX1, you would. It's one of the most comfy boats I've ever sailed, of any size.

The only awkward thing on it is going forward past the cheese-cutter shrouds to the gooseneck (actually, to the upper end of the gnav).

FB- Doug

13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Interior...

4.jpg

Dad's fallen off. Quick run down and grab the lifebuoy.

Ah never mind, fuck dad. He never liked keeping it on deck because it made things untidy. Now we can sell this POS and but something untidy and comfortable.

• Like 4

If i want to go fast, gonna stay on a lake, This is what I want to sail.  Get to go fast, pull a waterskier if I so choose and have a party all at the same time.  

Its just been right since 1892

image.thumb.jpeg.af1fa9168fd08a9989c2229851a41a3a.jpeg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Work. The curse of the drinking class.

Indeed. I just got this to replace my kids' Lego ships:

1DSC07129.thumb.jpg.176d6308ebbb7d15a280940daa361a5b.jpg

(In fact, I saw this last week in the Technikmuseum in Berlin, a model fully made of Amber. A piece of art)

• Like 3
On 10/17/2021 at 3:28 PM, Ishmael said:

Most uncomfortable helm seat.

Most uncomfortable crew seating.

Worst ergonomics for crew work.

Worst toilet facilities.

Not a candidate for ugly dodger thread, however.

Missed one, worst case of weather helm since the advent of IOR.

• Like 1

That is a Vindö 45 (I believe the sail area in sqm is what determined the model name, not length).

Here is a 50, on the road to the winter location, behind a nice old 'Trecker', as Germans say.

Undoubtedly, everyone in the queue behind enjoyed this beautiful look ;)

6 hours ago, Panope said:

I know nothing of trimarans, but I thought this one looked cool.

Anyone know what it is?

Steve

1khsYhq.jpg

Crowther Bucaneer 33, I'm pretty sure.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Malaya said:

I sailed on a Custom Columbia 50 in Maui cira 1978 named Fire Bird, sure looks like this one.

I wonder if that's the same boat as "Island Star" now moored in Ma'alea.
island-star-cover-1.jpg

50 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I wonder if that's the same boat as "Island Star" now moored in Ma'alea.
island-star-cover-1.jpg

That's a Columbia 57.

There was one locally, Lioness, when I had my 43.

They are spectacularly beautiful - that pic doesn't remotely do them justice.

Pretty sure Kris's pic is a custom Col 50 - there were a small handful done in similar fashion.

20 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

Crowther Bucaneer 33, I'm pretty sure.

Pedantic, but I think the 33 had alloy beams, maybe the 36? Definitely cool.

On 10/25/2021 at 2:26 AM, Panope said:

I know nothing of trimarans, but I thought this one looked cool.

Anyone know what it is?

Steve

1khsYhq.jpg

Steve, I was in the yard in July when a guy hauled out what he called his Crowther 34 Buccaneer, launched in 1997.  He isn't the original owner.  It was sailed in the 2017 R2AK by someone else.  Boat name was/is? Lung Ta which I believe has a history with the NW Multihull Association in Seattle.  He'd kept it in Pt Hadlock for a few years after he bought it.  He was going to do a bunch of work on it.  

P1050213.JPG

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Cool boat, except for the tiller bracket....

This? The looks of of it, or that it does not seem to allow the tiller to swing up?

989108105_ScreenShot2021-10-27at3_08_39PM.thumb.png.7aa4cc5042c99aa491e89e23a10db867.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bull City said:

This? The looks of of it, or that it does not seem to allow the tiller to swing up?

989108105_ScreenShot2021-10-27at3_08_39PM.thumb.png.7aa4cc5042c99aa491e89e23a10db867.png

Both. A bit violent-looking for my taste, and tillers must swing up out of the way.

1 hour ago, Fleetwood said:

Both. A bit violent-looking for my taste, and tillers must swing up out of the way.

Thanks Fleet, I never got the memo nor have I seen the reference in nautical lore...

I'm actually quite fond of kraSh's setup, guess I'll have to turf my Killing rudder since some keyboard genius says the tiller setup's no good...  :blink:

20210707 BQYC S1R1 01.jpg

On 10/26/2021 at 2:00 PM, Bull City said:

One more I forgot:

image.thumb.png.0056707c4b67a9b5e8f4357445156d8b.png

Dimensionally very similar to the Herreshoff S-Boat, my first "real" sailboat when I was 25, a half-century ago:

s-boat 2.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

This was originally posted in UglyBoats by @Santana20AE .. and while it is indeed ugly, I think it's also way cool.

It seems to be made entirely out of scrap, with zero concern for aesthetics ... but it floats, it moves and it looks like its lived on.  I think it's a piece of eccentric genius

74746787_junkyardriverboat.thumb.jpg.3819436faddfe8693adf85dd3d0b9900.jpg

Well, it looks more well though out then this one does ;)

image.thumb.jpeg.c600b075f918117d3957ea93c46fa911.jpeg

note: In the event an explanation is needed, this is an attempt at light-hearted fun as a result of an earlier thread…

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

Thanks Fleet, I never got the memo nor have I seen the reference in nautical lore...

I'm actually quite fond of kraSh's setup, guess I'll have to turf my Killing rudder since some keyboard genius says the tiller setup's no good...  :blink:

My tillers must swing out of the way!

Tiller.jpg

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Fleetwood said:

My tillers must swing out of the way!

TillerWars© coming soon to a pay TV channel near you.

Like AnchorWars, TravellerWars and OffsetCompanionwayWars, but with more sharp things.  No tits, but lots of blood.

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Like AnchorWars, TravellerWars and OffsetCompanionwayWars, but with more sharp things.  No tits, but lots of blood.

More tits!

2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

And the ever present possibility of getting pegged.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

Is the mainsail tack not attached to anything?