• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Adagio just started the Port Huron to Mackinaw race In her 52'nd year of racing. First large wood-epoxy boat boat built without fasteners. She rates faster than the Santa Cruz 70's.

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Does it come with a codpiece?  And I can easily singlehand or cruise with the wife and no crew. I say that a lot when I see an exotic, beautiful car, or a mansion that is just too f'n big

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, accnick said:

I think you're meant to stand on the weather end of that thing.

No, it's supposed to bring you closer to level, not further out of whack. Someone set that one wrong.

Edit: I see what you're saying, but they are usually locked into place so you can stand anywhere on it.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

No, it's supposed to bring you closer to level, not further out of whack. Someone set that one wrong.

Edit: I see what you're saying, but they are usually locked into place so you can stand anywhere on it.

Ah! I thought is was gimballed, so that it pivoted towards the loaded end. Better if it locks into position, but how do you set it?

On 10/25/2021 at 6:50 AM, Malaya said:

I sailed on a Custom Columbia 50 in Maui cira 1978 named Fire Bird, sure looks like this one.

Col 52. Friend of mine was the capt, & I helped take her back to Newport Bch

4 hours ago, rcbrds said:

That boat looks a lot like Chimaera and some other custom S&S boats. 

What a f**king death trap! And did you hear the douche bag narrator explain it away? It was done because of the galley. What is the world coming to?

898040801_ScreenShot2021-10-28at9_28_00PM.thumb.png.666218aa42b5b89a0a1d600e6e37bda5.png

5 minutes ago, Bull City said:

What a f**king death trap! And did you hear the douche bag narrator explain it away? It was done because of the galley. What is the world coming to?

898040801_ScreenShot2021-10-28at9_28_00PM.thumb.png.666218aa42b5b89a0a1d600e6e37bda5.png

That boat can't possibly still be floating.  

6 minutes ago, Bull City said:

that galley will only produce one meal!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TwoLegged said:
5 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

I think the helm bongo board is out of tune?

Even if the bongo board was tacked, yer man still has almost no view of where the boat is going :( 

Why does he give a fuck where the boat is going? When you're sailing a boat that expensive, everybody gets out of your way. Lighthouses get out of your way.

FB- Doug

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Bull City said:

At least the tiller swings up.............

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Perhaps he's a Sidehill Gouger, descended of the Highland clan Dunhu, who have one leg longer than the other and hunt mostly the wild haggis.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

A floating tack is common design/construction for many one design classes - set the halyard to max hoist (black band), then adjust the other two corners as conditions dictate.  There's a slug that holds the tack to the mast, but luff tension and sail shape gets controlled by cunningham, outhaul, sheet, and vang.  The system allows for easier and more adjustment to sail shape.  Might not be the best setup for offshore use!

The photo was taken before the start sequence began so the halyard's max'd but sail tensions haven't been set yet.  Also, the sail in the pic's an old North we use for club races, the tack config look kinda strange with the bolt rope foot.  Makes more sense with the loose foots on newer mainsails.

Cheers!

It seems off because the cunningham appears to be absent in your picture as well :-)

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Why does he give a fuck where the boat is going? When you're sailing a boat that expensive, everybody gets out of your way. Lighthouses get out of your way.

True, dat.

It's a little-known fact that the Fastnet Rock lighthouse used to be on the Aran Islands until it was chased southwards by a drunken night helmsman on the King of Tonga's yacht Fukarwe on a rainy night in November 1937.

The resultant 200-mile reduction in the length of the Fastnet Race was a big factor in the increased participation in later years.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

When I first saw it I thought Job's boat would make a cool penthouse if you could get it to the top of a highrise tower.

Philippe Starck again, IINM.

Don't look now, but this 'thing' is comin round the headland.

images.jpeg

2 hours ago, Misbehavin' said:

It seems off because the cunningham appears to be absent in your picture as well :-)

Actually, no...  The cunningham's a single part line that runs down the starboard side of the mast then back to the cockpit.  If you look closely you'll see the hook engaged in the cunningham cringle.

As mentioned before, sail controls hadn't been adjusted yet since it was pre-race.

Cheers!

11 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Perhaps he's a Sidehill Gouger, descended of the Highland clan Dunhu, who have one leg longer than the other and hunt mostly the wild haggis.

Some of you may have been too lazy or busy to peruse Diarmuid's link to the wild haggis. Herewith, the wild haggis. It is worth reading.

Wild haggis

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
300px-Haggis_scoticus.jpg

A fictional wild haggis specimen, Haggis scotticus, as displayed in the Glasgow Kelvingrove Gallery, next to a prepared example.[1]

Wild haggis (given the humorous taxonomic designation Haggis scoticus) is a fictional creature of Scottish folklore,[2] said to be native to the Scottish Highlands.[1][3] It is comically claimed to be the source of haggis, a traditional Scottish dish that is in fact made from the innards of sheep (including heart, lungs, and liver).[4]

According to some sources, the wild haggis's left and right legs are of different lengths (cf. Sidehill gouger or Dahu), allowing it to run quickly around the steep mountains and hillsides which make up its natural habitat, but only in one direction.[2][3] It is further claimed that there are two varieties of haggis, one with longer left legs and the other with longer right legs. The former variety can run clockwise around a mountain (as seen from above) while the latter can run anticlockwise.[5] The two varieties coexist peacefully but are unable to interbreed in the wild because in order for the male of one variety to mate with a female of the other, he must turn to face in the same direction as his intended mate, causing him to lose his balance before he can mount her. As a result of this difficulty, differences in leg length among the haggis population are accentuated.[3]

On 10/27/2021 at 2:10 PM, Fleetwood said:

Both. A bit violent-looking for my taste, and tillers must swing up out of the way.

I guess the purpose of a tiller is to eliminate a wheel - definitely a good thing. lol. But the purpose of a swing up tiller is to clear the cockpit, obviously unnecessary over an aft deck. 

9 minutes ago, floater said:

I guess the purpose of a tiller is to eliminate a wheel - definitely a good thing. lol. But the purpose of a swing up tiller is to clear the cockpit, obviously unnecessary over an aft deck. 

Actually, the other purpose of a swing-up tiller is to allow it to be held at a comfortable height when the helmswoman is standing, for example during pre-start maneouvres or when docking.   Ideally, there will be just enough friction in the hinge to keep the tiller at the chosen height, but allow it to be easily raised or lowered.

Yes, you can stand and hold the extension.  But in many situations it is much easier and more effective to be able to hold the tiller itself.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Actually, the other purpose of a swing-up tiller is to allow it to be held at a comfortable height when the helmswoman is standing, for example during pre-start maneouvres or when docking.   Ideally, there will be just enough friction in the hinge to keep the tiller at the chosen height, but allow it to be easily raised or lowered.

Yes, you can stand and hold the extension.  But in many situations it is much easier and more effective to be able to hold the tiller itself.

of course, like when tacking the boat solo, where does it go then?

but the conflicting requirements of stiffness - plus mobility - necessary to hold the tiller in any particular position is a source of weakness as well. at least this is what I have found. iow, I totally get the advantages of having a fixed tiller over an aft deck.

52 minutes ago, floater said:

of course, like when tacking the boat solo, where does it go then?

but the conflicting requirements of stiffness - plus mobility - necessary to hold the tiller in any particular position is a source of weakness as well. at least this is what I have found. iow, I totally get the advantages of having a fixed tiller over an aft deck.

If the rudder head is big enough to allow big cheeks on the tiller attachment, then it's quite easy to set it up so that it is both stiff enough for use without play, and also free enough to lift.   The J/24 rudder head allows this to work well

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Coach Doug says "hold it like a frying pan or like a microphone. Not an axe"

FB- Doug

When i am teaching, I tell 'em to hold it like the bow of a violin -- i.e. gently and sensitively, so that you can feel what it's telling you.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

When i am teaching, I tell 'em to hold it like the bow of a violin -- i.e. gently and sensitively, so that you can feel what it's telling you.

Well, American kids seem to like the idea of either being a master chef or a rock star. I'm not sure many of them want to be Yo Yo Ma. But -I- don't want any of them to become Lizzie Borden, fer shurr!

FB- Doug

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Bull City said:

It is worth reading.

One of those  Wiki gems you stumble over now and again. :) I feel like wild haggis racing could be an exciting sport, if the track were banked like a velodrome.

4 hours ago, Matagi said:

She looks like she's holding an imaginary axe ;)

Viking! (note white kitten with similar grip)

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I think the tow rope has more to do with how she’s holding tiller than anything else.  

one of these days maybe the world will move past Optis for anything beyond beginner training.  

44 minutes ago, eliboat said:

I think the tow rope has more to do with how she’s holding tiller than anything else.  

one of these days maybe the world will move past Optis for anything beyond beginner training.  

Yeah, I don't tow with the daggerboards in. But a lot of programs do. And the Opti rudder does generate a lot of force at higher speed.

FB- Doug

20 hours ago, eliboat said:

I guess when a class comes along where the competitive kids can get better sailing it will.

For the beam, not too much freeboard and the green topsides hides the lack of a nice sheer. Oh well, it’s not ugly, just not my style. 

Is that Two Legged driving that beast? No traveller and a dead centered companionway. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

All that glass will give a fabulous view of the bulwarks from below deck.

Probably only if you are 6'4+.  The rest of us shorties would be seeing the sky.  But, I agree, its kind of a wack design in that regard.

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

All that glass will give a fabulous view of the bulwarks from below deck.

What about watching fish when a wave comes aboard? That could be fun. Must not have opening windows.

7 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Probably only if you are 6'4+.  The rest of us shorties would be seeing the sky.  But, I agree, its kind of a wack design in that regard.

Even wackier considering the view from the interior is just portlights.

COOL-BREEZE-Yacht-Saloon.jpeg.b3ef112fd478128bfbf3f9229823ad5c.jpegCOOL-BREEZE-Yacht-Owners-Cabin.jpeg.9d3ac76843ad8b9a1afe6ce3d3b92190.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

COOL-BREEZE-Yacht-Saloon.jpeg.b3ef112fd478128bfbf3f9229823ad5c.jpegCOOL-BREEZE-Yacht-Owners-Cabin.jpeg.9d3ac76843ad8b9a1afe6ce3d3b92190.jpeg

That's a pretty bleak boardroom. They should have a vase of something and a couple of glasses of hemlock.

• Like 3
On 10/4/2021 at 1:40 AM, SloopJonB said:

You got that right.

I've been along every inch of that coast from Bristol around Lands End to Weymouth.

Trust me, most of those hole in the wall "ports" where the smuggling took place would give you pause even on a sunny day in good weather with a reliable diesel.

Doing it at night in an engineless old cutter overloaded with booze would be death defying.

6 rowers beat a diesel engine for this purpose...

b21f78f9c699a4d881769d7ce3b071c0.jpg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Priscilla said:

No handholds.   And I hope that the chairs are there just for the photoshoot.

On 11/2/2021 at 3:48 PM, Virgulino Ferreira said:

"Girl powered Defiance"

Loved the photo, thanks.

I used to row pilot gigs and some of the girl boats were definitely not shabby at all. Look how they are still perfectly timed despite the messy chop! #1 is probably a tiny bit late but hey she's just going pass the crest of a wave while rowing at 30 strokes per minute!

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

I used to row pilot gigs and some of the girl boats were definitely not shabby at all. Look how they are still perfectly timed despite the messy chop! #1 is probably a tiny bit late but hey she's just going pass the crest of a wave while rowing at 30 strokes per minute!

My elder boy(bowman in pic)'s then girlfriend got him into surfboat rowing. She rowed for a rival club. The girls generally wear helmets tho'.

• Like 4

Thomas Tison designed a similar concept (48 ft) for the heir of one of the best known yacht insurance companies. They had a somewhat odd procedure, in my view, building the hull in a small, new yard in Northern Germany, then -as word is on the street- shipping it to Vannes and then allegedly back to Germany. 

Work has started in 2018 already, but apart from the first pics of the hull, nothing has been seen so far, sadly.

SY-Elida-TT-Front.jpg

saw this on lake macquarie - sorry image is bit blurred.

looks like around 40 ft - maybe a NZ design in the Townson/Stewart/Young style ?

just a guess - very nicely kept perhaps refurbished and an early fiberglass build ? 

any ideas ?

920192355_yachtlakemacq.thumb.JPG.9c4c077dd42754ce6cd06688e0520b45.JPG

My boat had been hauled by the marina last week, so I went down to see where they put me, how my prop/shaft anti-foul experiment had turned out etc.  I wound up walking the docks where the big boys sit and saw this beauty.  Too much bright work for me to manage, but boy do I love looking.  Hubba hubba.

848117937_HinkleyNov2021.thumb.jpeg.1d7ed1ea87313d18c9916e5485f1321e.jpeg

5 hours ago, Hukilau said:

My boat had been hauled by the marina last week, so I went down to see where they put me, how my prop/shaft anti-foul experiment had turned out etc.  I wound up walking the docks where the big boys sit and saw this beauty.  Too much bright work for me to manage, but boy do I love looking.  Hubba hubba.

848117937_HinkleyNov2021.thumb.jpeg.1d7ed1ea87313d18c9916e5485f1321e.jpeg

Hinckley Pilot 35 yawl. Great little boat.

Was recently in the "sailing capitol of NC", Oriental and there were cool boats everywhere.  A couple of stand outs, to me.  Any one know what the blue boat is?  It was probably close to 50' and who ever owns it, really takes care of it.  The other was a cat ketch probably of French origin.  Never sailed on a boat with a rig like that but it looked like it was equipped to sail with good hardware for sail control.

Of course my favorite boat was a Moore 24 o a trailer.  I have never seen one in the flesh.  To think Mr. Chiles sailed one around the world...amazing boat, amazing sailor.

Neat boat 1.jpg

neat boat 2.jpg

3 minutes ago, bridhb said:

Was recently in the "sailing capitol of NC", Oriental and there were cool boats everywhere.  A couple of stand outs, to me.  Any one know what the blue boat is?  It was probably close to 50' and who ever owns it, really takes care of it.  The other was a cat ketch probably of French origin.  Never sailed on a boat with a rig like that but it looked like it was equipped to sail with good hardware for sail control.

Of course my favorite boat was a Moore 24 o a trailer.  I have never seen one in the flesh.  To think Mr. Chiles sailed one around the world...amazing boat, amazing sailor.

Neat boat 1.jpg

neat boat 2.jpg

You found the two coolest boats there, IMHO.

If the right (wrong?) person had seen you looking at the Moore 24, you could have ended up taking it home.

FB- Doug

21 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

If the right (wrong?) person had seen you looking at the Moore 24, you could have ended up taking it home.

FB- Doug

I have a (small) truck that will pull that thing home easily and a big enough yard and no HOA to keep me from having it in the back to fix it up.  Contact?  I noticed it was in the local sail repair shop's website.  Is that a hint?

24 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Oh, there were a lot of other cool boats.  One light blue outboard motorboat cruiser at the town dock, a motorsailer at Whitaker Creek that was preparing for a trip to the Bahamas, an Ericson Scorpion for sale very cheap, a Tripp 33 that apparently was being used by an otter for a dining area, a bunch of cape dories, and a sort of locally built (Wilmington?) boat that looked very modern and very cool, can't remember the name but only a few were built and I guess a keel fell off one.  For a relatively small town, there was a lot of neat stuff there.

7 hours ago, Hukilau said:

On the same dock.  Maui, is this what your boat looks like?  Impressive.447288143_Hanse455Nov2021Adock.thumb.jpeg.244f6c42a17d52224e8e5cf19a286be1.jpeg

Basically, Except the color, yup.  I think this is a 455, and mine is the 505.

1203853757_ZARA(2).thumb.jpg.fe03429dd98e85d58a5e780aaf365bba.jpg

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Basically, Except the color, yup.  I think this is a 455, and mine is the 505.

1203853757_ZARA(2).thumb.jpg.fe03429dd98e85d58a5e780aaf365bba.jpg

That was the 455 at my marina.  I walked to the end of the adjacent pier to be able to see the "455" on the port quarter to make sure.  Nice boats.

• Like 1
On 11/7/2021 at 7:54 PM, Norm01 said:

saw this on lake macquarie - sorry image is bit blurred.

looks like around 40 ft - maybe a NZ design in the Townson/Stewart/Young style ?

just a guess - very nicely kept perhaps refurbished and an early fiberglass build ? 

any ideas ?

920192355_yachtlakemacq.thumb.JPG.9c4c077dd42754ce6cd06688e0520b45.JPG

The main cabin trunk with three windows suggests she is a Townson 36 or 34 without the retrousse stern.

C260189C-34C6-4D98-87D9-BE41197D1EC5.jpeg.3475ea5132435a4ac8c5074d45600929.jpeg

30DE3393-8EC2-4452-A512-7686E0608941.thumb.jpeg.d93361c7ff5b067c185e6ff231e81afc.jpeg

D8FDEE40-FFC8-4592-BAAE-2B78176389BA.webp E82F4DF6-1118-4B92-AD12-FE3FFFF9DCA9.webp

• Like 2

^^ The deckhouse reminds me of this Van de Stadt I posted here about 25 years ago:

428766965_VanderStadtClassic.thumb.png.ebb2bdf66b6a80bf0b06763f26304555.png

Some additional info:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/73603207_1976-custom-one-design-van-de-stadt-classic-sailboat

DESCRIPTION
Custom One-Design Van der Stadt 
Classic Sailboat 
Custom Built-in 1976 by professional boat-builder, Hans Lukat 

This is an absolutely custom van de Stadt classic sailboat created by professional boat-builder Hans Lukat of Stuart, Florida, in 1976. Dutch yacht designer Ericus Gerhardus van de Stadt, who passed away in 1999, is today known as the father of the industrial yacht building in the Netherlands, while Hans was himself already an accomplished boat builder and sailer by the time he immigrated to the US from Germany at 50 years old. This 30' example of his work, in van de Stadt's classic style - the only one of its design - was purchased directly from the builder in 2008, when Hans, then well into his 80s, no longer felt he could care for her, and the vessel has since been under the care of her current owner. 

Specs:

LOA: 30’ 
Beam: 9’1” 
Draft: 6’ 
Displacement: 6500 lbs. 

Purchased from builder/owner in 2008

She sports cold-molded mahogany constructed shell, as well as a teak transom, deckhouse, cockpit coaming and grate, and toe rail, with a spruce mast and beam [boom]. 

12 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

The shape of racing boats have changed: Today 

686023866_ScreenShot2021-11-07at6_23_55AM.thumb.png.87f8492a6a2c061dcc3d4e146a7c8676.png

1269396081_ScreenShot2021-11-08at1_01_54PM.thumb.png.6f259a5ba8251834de1f93e9463c6128.png

All that money on kit and pros and they can't get the fucking headsail up properly.

There's several people in that boat who only had one job. There are a bunch more who had no job at all apart from to sit on the wide bit, and between them...

• Like 2
3 hours ago, European Bloke said:

All that money on kit and pros and they can't get the fucking headsail up properly.

There's several people in that boat who only had one job. There are a bunch more who had no job at all apart from to sit on the wide bit, and between them...

I dunno. Looks like the photo was taken while they're in the middle of a sail-change or something...

5 hours ago, European Bloke said:

I can't tell who's driving.