• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Adagio just started the Port Huron to Mackinaw race In her 52'nd year of racing. First large wood-epoxy boat boat built without fasteners. She rates faster than the Santa Cruz 70's.

Does it come with a codpiece?  And I can easily singlehand or cruise with the wife and no crew. I say that a lot when I see an exotic, beautiful car, or a mansion that is just too f'n big

Posted Images

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That deckhouse looks kinda Perry-esque.

A handsome boat, but the ass end waterline looks odd..

• Like 2

Btw.

Sorry that I have to get back to 'it' again, but photographer Alexander Panzieri has done the impossible.

He has actually taken a great shot of 'A'.

aaaa.jpg.7f817790f2bf481eaf22bd3c57fe3874.jpg

That is really not bad. For a star destroyer.

Please visit Alexander's portfolio website, he is a really good photographer. 

Quote:  "Please visit Alexander's portfolio website, he is a really good photographer."

I did and saw this and thought its cool, but wondered if it belongs in the ugly dodger (bimini) thread.  Its a bit big for me but I'd be curious to see what its like to sail in a breeze.

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.39.38 AM.png

1 hour ago, Matagi said:

Btw.

Sorry that I have to get back to 'it' again, but photographer Alexander Panzieri has done the impossible.

He has actually taken a great shot of 'A'.

aaaa.jpg.7f817790f2bf481eaf22bd3c57fe3874.jpg

That is really not bad. For a star destroyer.

Please visit Alexander's portfolio website, he is a really good photographer. 

I think by now they should have been able to correct the trim of that thing. :ph34r:

that's right. he sprayed some light over the parts that say "boat" - and hid the jarring angles in shadow.

might the photographer use photoshop? - check out the water..

3 hours ago, eric1207 said:

Quote:  "Please visit Alexander's portfolio website, he is a really good photographer."

I did and saw this and thought its cool, but wondered if it belongs in the ugly dodger (bimini) thread.  Its a bit big for me but I'd be curious to see what its like to sail in a breeze.

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.39.38 AM.png

Isn't that the MoBo that an F1 driver converted to a trimaran?

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Isn't that the MoBo that an F1 driver converted to a trimaran?

You're thinking of Nelson Piquet's Pilar Rossi and that is not it:

post-50525-046265200%201304477700.jpg

Are we not looking at a sailing yacht hidden behind a power tri in the picture you are referring to?

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Voiled said:

You're thinking of Nelson Piquet's Pilar Rossi and that is not it:

post-50525-046265200%201304477700.jpg

Are we not looking at a sailing yacht hidden behind a power tri in the picture you are referring to?

You mean the black cutter in the background?B)

This is 'Vrijheid', it was built in the Netherlands in 1931 and refurbed in 2015 - 2017.

Vrijheid-onder-zeil-6.jpgDe avontuurlijke boot van Kapitein Rob even in Weesp | Al het nieuws uit  Weesp
What's so special about this boat is, that she is the first boat of 'Kapitein Rob', a dutch cartoon series that was apparently very popular among dutch readers in the fifties and sixties.

Kapitein Rob terug in de krant ⋆ Uitgeverij Personalia

Talk about comic heroes come to life. 

So Batman is real, I knew it.

Here is more.

• Like 6
18 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

As of Tuesday we are now moving ahead with a slightly larger version of this design. Different layout. Longer LOA. Different stern treatment.

Dopyerqa show.jpg

Ted A. 1-18-22.png

Very nice Bob!

That reminded me a bit of 'Heimkehr'

1bb3d2badddfcfc144517e482a1195840be0c56b-png.jpg

She is a ketched rigged motorsailer from the Elbe river, more here and here. She was sailed extensively by the owner couple in the North Atlantic for six years, going to the Caribbean and New York among other places.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

As of Tuesday we are now moving ahead with a slightly larger version of this design. Different layout. Longer LOA. Different stern treatment.

Dopyerqa show.jpg

Ted A. 1-18-22.png

So, here's a question for you. Sailboats typically have a cockpit capable of holding several people. This boat does not, which is fine if its goal is high-latitude cruising.

Looking at the accommodations, it is not designed for a single person.

When underway, but not necessarily on passage, where does a second person sit to see what's going on ahead of the boat?

This question is not unique to this boat. A lot of powerboats have the same issue unless they have a large pilothouse with a forward-facing settee behind the helmsman, or room for a second pilot chair.

It is possible to solve this conundrum, even on a 34-footer like ours.

As with most design decisions, it's a matter of priorities.

nav area.jpeg

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, huey 2 said:

Charlie and friends getting some shorthanded sailing in, on some coolboats...

Very, very nice, some true rarities in there, Luthis, Psaros, Toucans, Tofinous.

See here for the results and the sail numbers, if you want to identify a specific boat.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
1 hour ago, eliboat said:

You want sail area? You get sail area. 

You also get side decks so you don't drown too often.

The sail area looks like it will more than make up for the side decks.  Fans of drowning will not be bored.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, eliboat said:

Weird…. I’m being quoted as if I’m presuming Ed 

You're OK, but the website took mushrooms.B)

On 12/17/2014 at 3:41 PM, QBF said:

Here is cool boat designed by one of Cruising Anarchy's resident designers, Yves-Marie de Tanton.

This model is a 12-meter (40') MBCC (Modern British Channel Cutter) that was built in steel in Turkey.

http://tantonyachtdesign.blogspot.com/2013/11/launching.html

post-106106-0-37303500-1418848737_thumb.jpg

post-106106-0-97579000-1418848799_thumb.jpg

On 12/17/2014 at 4:24 PM, Sailbydate said:

Shame about that cabin and coach roof design. She definitely could have been much sweeter looking without any loss of functionality, IMO.

On 12/17/2014 at 4:43 PM, Bob Perry said:

As much of a YMT fan as I am I think I'll go with Sailby on that cabin trunk. That forward raking windshield is a very strong design element and has to be done with finesse and care. It's subjective. I can assure you that this will be a very good sailing boat and that's objective.

[post moved to this more relevant exchange]

As many remark here, a pilothouse with a reverse face can be displeasing; often looks too Tug and not enough Sailboat. (Some make Tug look good.)   And any part of the roof line fighting the sheer will likely make for even less of Sailboat .  Part of too Tug is an often imposing flat face - which at yacht deck level, added to the reverse invites broken (or small, less functional) panes when green water comes aft, the impact concentrated by the no-exit shape.

I proposed the shape as a possible (minus the excess flare aft corner) for the hull (about 68'), rig (75' cutter) and fins shown, as having no workboat flavor, giving green water a way by, and the sheer happy with the roof line.  There's a single curved pane forward and a raised entry aft into a broad potentially bright refuge for cockpit crew. Perhaps unsurprisingly the boat was built with a very handsome & polished pilothouse by Tanton.

PilotHouseAd.thumb.gif.6fec0b7b01b48ee58c4b52db221c1b42.gif

1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

Modern ergonomics, nailed. 

970769424_ScreenShot2022-01-26at7_51_38AM.thumb.png.fa02b29d23ca397bcdf911382589dc6a.png

Shouldn't there be some end tables with lamps? And a fireplace?

But with the dual-offset-companionways, what does it matter?

912911168_GoodLord.png.79c7402dbd593e87f7b1c038115ebc40.png

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

970769424_ScreenShot2022-01-26at7_51_38AM.thumb.png.fa02b29d23ca397bcdf911382589dc6a.png

that is not a real captain steering - actually a robot. part of the onboard management system that automatically steers, trims the sails, tacks, and jibes. even furls and sets an anchor.

all you need to do is mix your own drinks, and avoid stepping on the roomba down below that keeps the sole all spick and span.

• Like 1
Just now, floater said:

that is not a real captain steering - actually a robot. part of the onboard management system that automatically steers, trims the sails, tacks, and jibes. even furls and sets an anchor.

all you need to do is mix your own drinks, and avoid stepping on the roomba down below that keeps the sole all spick and span.

Well I didn't like it before but now I want one.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

A moderate wave over the bow looks to be disastrous - right down the dual offset companionways and over all that upholstery.  

18 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Well I didn't like it before but now I want one.

ikr. even all the varnishing and maintenance is automated. the future is a beautiful place.

22 minutes ago, socalrider said:

A moderate wave over the bow looks to be disastrous - right down the dual offset companionways and over all that upholstery.  

wait, what - you see a flaw in the the elegant living room cockpit pictured above?

Saffier SE 33 LIFE.png

ps: not driven by a robot. teak decks definitely fake. 

2 hours ago, floater said:

Captain Yul B. Sarri undergoes Wheel Steering tests in the dev lab:

On-the-water trials went well, until Yul fell in love with the chartplotter and together they threw the human crew overboard and sailed to the Caymans, where they have been granted sanctuary. It's a love story for our times: poignant, searching.

• Like 1

Nice windshield.  all’s it needs is a decent set of wheels and an exemption from the DOT for being over 8 feet, a solid Cummings Diesel and a transmission the driver can operate and shel’ll be ready to (as Dinah Shore used to say) “See the USA in your” whatever cause that sure ain’t no Chevrolet.  

4 hours ago, socalrider said:

A wave?  At sea? 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, floater said:

wait, what - you see a flaw in the the elegant living room cockpit pictured above?

Saffier SE 33 LIFE.png

ps: not driven by a robot. teak decks definitely fake. 

Why is the bald-headed guy looking up? Isn't there a display he look at if wants to check the sail trim? He might get get a crick in his neck.

20 minutes ago, Veeger said:

I'm thinking that's not really a design issue....

It would be in my brief, if sailing Northern Idaho. "Safe room, with remote autopilot and FLIR displays."

8 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

It would be in my brief, if sailing Northern Idaho. "Safe room, with remote autopilot and FLIR displays."

And a .50 Cal on the bow to return fire.

14 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Couch sailing.

12 hours ago, Bull City said:

Why is the bald-headed guy looking up? Isn't there a display he look at if wants to check the sail trim? He might get get a crick in his neck.

Or worse, the collar on his polo shirt might fold back down, and then he couldn't be seen at the "Yott Klubb Bor".

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Always wondered what Ginger and Mary Ann did before they got lost on that island...

So that's

On 1/26/2022 at 6:53 AM, Kris Cringle said:

So that's what modern potato magnates sail? Do the Aryans have a beef with the potato kings?

Seems like strictly a daysailer, lacking even accomodations for trysting, which I always assumed was the true purpose of these boats. 

On 1/26/2022 at 4:01 PM, Veeger said:

I was looking at the Coeur Customs website, and gobsmacked by this one. Only $30K. OK, not a sailboat, but cool.

https://www.coeurcustoms.com/boat-inventory/1946-chris-craft-25-express/6912888/

1346790290_ScreenShot2022-01-28at11_18_41AM.thumb.png.4d2d55b15d3a94a20ee96abb73956c1b.png

There may be a lesson in S&S design brief: You can't make a catamaran look like DORADE, so don't try? 

516860406_ScreenShot2022-01-28at12_12_27PM.thumb.png.ab8f4b31a770e3593ea011733c7ff346.png

And 'New England style' I think is more about function than looks. Easier to recognize when it's not. 

Not New England style:

2029107736_ScreenShot2022-01-26at4_18_05PM.thumb.png.7d0f28b4b17aa38590f792f1ffe5a586.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:
6 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Shapely MADIGAN

235397004_ScreenShot2022-01-28at8_33_26AM.thumb.png.6c49075322c0ba05c14f1b40a1c1d521.png

Expand  

Love those Gil Smith catboats!

#Metoo.

Even they don't have too much beam for my taste. :D

2 hours ago, Matagi said:

What a project that would be. 

Whoever did this better have a good excuse.

After everything that was put into restoring that boat, what we see there is criminal neglect. That combination of Watson design and Logan construction is pure magic.

2 hours ago, accnick said:

After everything that was put into restoring that boat, what we see there is criminal neglect. That combination of Watson design and Logan construction is pure magic.

If she's been restored recently is she really that far gone or are we in that'll buff out territory?

I'm not really into classic boats, but even I can see that should be beautiful.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, European Bloke said:

..even I can see that should be beautiful.

I find her near perfect. perhaps an unpopular opinion - but all that unvarnished (and seemingly perfect) teak is just stunning to my eye.

at first I thought this was what was intended. then noticed the growth. oops.