Pretty boat Priscilla. Yours?

No unfortunately.

When my smaller ride finally grows up she is going to be just like Carillion.

60A2Ik4.jpg

There are a hand full of larger Bruce Clark designs in this part of the world.

Hermes Tara and Astrolab to mention a few and all are stunning minters.

Sweet Reason and Chaos are 36ft and I believe that Chaos is now in Freemantle under a different name.

I will try and dig out some pics.

Largest MacGregor???

Q21jX3Y.jpg

That is the Anthem, a Mac 70, the MacGregor flagship yacht. Here is a little vid of a Mac 26 filmed from the Anthem, with Roger himself at the helm of the big boat.

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Adagio just started the Port Huron to Mackinaw race In her 52'nd year of racing. First large wood-epoxy boat boat built without fasteners. She rates faster than the Santa Cruz 70's.

Does it come with a codpiece?  And I can easily singlehand or cruise with the wife and no crew. I say that a lot when I see an exotic, beautiful car, or a mansion that is just too f'n big

Posted Images

Merry Christmas!

Jeff2014_zpsf066621e.jpg

Um... aren't the bumps supposed to be... ah, nevermind.

Merry Christmas to you too! Is there a calendar for 2015? I'm gonna miss my cartoons.

Merry Christmas!Jeff2014_zpsf066621e.jpg

Um... aren't the bumps supposed to be... ah, nevermind.Merry Christmas to you too! Is there a calendar for 2015? I'm gonna miss my cartoons.

Merry Christmas to all.

Got the walk around a rarity yesterday, the very royal blue 'Goldina II' one of only ten Najad 570s built, and penned by Judel-Vrolijk

which is currently resting at Marina ZarPar at the mo, top marks for venturing in at night... gawd its a shallow entrance!!.... Lovely boat however, and Mario the owner is on a circumnav'er headed for Mexico, the Pacific, then Indian Ocean... and much like the VOR65s back up that way on the long voyage home.

In the DR motor boats rule, the baseball stars that own the big ones, tis not a rig they're interested in, mainly how powerful the boom-box sound system is.... so the Najad's class is somewhat lost on the locals...

sailingboat-najad-570.jpg

Boring as all hell.

I simply cannot take the critical faculties of anyone seriously if they hinge themselves to the crass prat act that was totally va’cunt Sid Vicious… what an odious wanker he was.

(The guy was a discredit to the bass playing community)

If you’d chosen this chap as an icon I might actually consider your scathing viewpoint to count for shit…

HASLIP+026-Lo-Fi%5B1%5D.JPG

Then again probably not…

Time to get back to the mince-pie’s methinks…and sesonal greeting (obviously)

Toodle-pip

Oooh, tasty. Gimme that Perry-designed beauty over the Najad any day.

The big black jockstrap on the deckhouse of the Najad has all the vulgarity of the Macgregor, without any of Mac's cheap charms.

Some dude named Jimmy Haslip - plays jazz. Adding two more strings to a bass gives you more range - usually set up for one lower and one higher (adds a low B and a high C). Not uncommon to see basses with 5 to 8 strings these days, mostly in jazz, some show up in heavy metal bands as well.

Indeed BrianM and kdh…

As to besmirching the reputation of: http://www.judel-vrolijk.com/design/services-design

?

Me, myself I…. if I were to ping in anything including Jimmy, would have to be inclusive of the ‘Yellowjackets’

Am not fan of Ms. Wilkenfeld, however I do have a wee bit-o-time for Aleks…

Meanwhile getting the thread back under way, tis to things J boat….You see I just can’t get all wet… hot and bothered about sub 5ft dinghy’s from the 1950s….. However I’d never be impolite and ill-mannered to rubbish those that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Am1LJE4RdE

Some dude named Jimmy Haslip - plays jazz. Adding two more strings to a bass gives you more range - usually set up for one lower and one higher (adds a low B and a high C). Not uncommon to see basses with 5 to 8 strings these days, mostly in jazz, some show up in heavy metal bands as well.

How about stringing it upside down, (bass strings at the bottom) Is that a common thing these days?

Indeed BrianM and kdh…

As to besmirching the reputation of: http://www.judel-vrolijk.com/design/services-design

?

It's just a pretty picture. And the linky to J-V is to a newfounded design "studio" within their offices. Just the pretty picture draw-ers. Might be a great boat. Might not. Styling is just styling. Nothing special to learn from that photo. Except that she has pretty low freeboard in the bow, high freeboard aft, center cockpit arrangement (some people like it some hate it) and a big aft cabin back there. How she sails, how well she is designed functionally, we don't know. She has no history other than to call on the pedigree of her designers' previous work (most famous work is all raceboats).

BUT

Speaking aesthetically, I don't think the pedigree of the designer is germain. If it looks good, it looks good. And that is a subjective call. You like it, others don't.

Ho hum. And bah humbug. Hope you had a Happy Christmas though.

Brian: Really? I have played bass fairly proficiently for 48 years and I can find all the bad notes I need with four strings.

Dog: That way of stringing is Jimmy Hendrix style. Tough for an orthodox player to adapt to that method. No advantage as far as I can tell.

bandpractice2011_zpsd25dbaea.jpg

Who is that bass player?

And why does he need 6 strings?

Bob, I know yours is a serious question but there is also a factor in this too.

"This amp goes to 11."

"This bass has 12 stings..."

Back when I was playing regularly, showing up at the gig and seeing the bass player had more than four strings was a sign that you were in for a night of overplaying with not enough groove or bottom end.

Always cool to see what Jaco could do with just four strings, and no frets:

Yeah, just think how good Jaco would have been with two more strings!

If four were good enough for Jaco I can do just fine with four.

My pals threaten to put duct tape above the 5th fret anyway.

Cool video. He was da man on the bass.

I tried an eight string bass back in the 60's when I wanted to be Jack Bruce. I don't recall why I got rid of it. Too many strings?

How about stringing it upside down, (bass strings at the bottom) Is that a common thing these days?

He's playing left handed ala Jimmy Hendricks on a right handed bass guitar, maybe?

Oops. Bob beat me to the Hendricks link.

Edited by familysailor

....I have the whole "Dream interpretation" thing nailed. I have a client coming back now for his third custom Perry design.

What's the matter, couldn't you get it right the first two times?

{hat, coat, I'm out the door to try the new kayak Santa brought me.]

Brian: Really? I have played bass fairly proficiently for 48 years and I can find all the bad notes I need with four strings.

Dog: That way of stringing is Jimmy Hendrix style. Tough for an orthodox player to adapt to that method. No advantage as far as I can tell.

bandpractice2011_zpsd25dbaea.jpg

Man, good rock & roll is looking like hot rodding these days - mostly gray hair. :P

Actually, makes sense I guess - they always have gone hand in hand.

I think Paul MacCartney plays the same way, just flips a righty over and plays it lefy.

I think Paul is actually a true lefty, with the lowest string on top...most lefty/reverse players are self-taught, and just start playing that way without knowing any better; by the time they figure out that it's "wrong" they've advanced too far technically to switch.

Now: tell me what I'm supposed to dislike about the Najad. I'm about as inexperienced as one can be re: yacht design, so it's an honest question. To my eye it looks...elegant, without being a throwback to the classic designs that I'm typically drawn to. Why is it boring? What's a more exciting example in the same class/era?

He's playing left handed ala Jimmy Hendricks on a right handed bass guitar, maybe?

Oops. Bob beat me to the Hendricks link.

Are you talking about Jimi Hendrix?

Illegal:

I like the Najad. It looks great. It just doesn't show me anything new. Back to guitar playing, I listen to a player and I think "show me something new." "So you can mimic Mark Knophler perfectly. So what. Show me something I haven't heard before." But there is nothing "wrong" with the Najad. I've heard technically perfect guitar players who were boring to listen to. I prefer the guys who play on the edge of their technique. I like Tuck from Tuck and Patty. I like Tommy Emmanuel the Australian picker. He makes you hold your breath hoping he can complete the run. " He can't do it! Train wreck! He can't do it!" And always does.

Illegal:

I like the Najad. It looks great. It just doesn't show me anything new. Back to guitar playing, I listen to a player and I think "show me something new." "So you can mimic Mark Knophler perfectly. So what. Show me something I haven't heard before." But there is nothing "wrong" with the Najad. I've heard technically perfect guitar players who were boring to listen to.

I like this explanation a lot. I call it "being in the lineage." It's the difference between those who are just good at what they do and those who stretch the form in any genre. Miles Davis. Lenny Bruce. Alice Waters.

I simply cannot take the critical faculties of anyone seriously if they hinge themselves to the crass prat act that was totally va’cunt Sid Vicious… what an odious wanker he was.

(The guy was a discredit to the bass playing community)

If you’d chosen this chap as an icon I might actually consider your scathing viewpoint to count for shit…

[img=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-D-_Z1Uhl1G0/Ubky11XdaFI/AAAAAAAAVY0/BCP_2W0HdRg/s1600/HASLIP+026-Lo-Fi[1].JPG]

Then again probably not…

Time to get back to the mince-pie’s methinks…and sesonal greeting (obviously)

Toodle-pip

Unwad your panties. Sid is there because that's about how well I play bass. And as nice as Najads are, that boat is a visual sleeping pill.

Got the walk around a rarity yesterday, the very royal blue 'Goldina II' one of only ten Najad 570s built, and penned by Judel-Vrolijk

which is currently resting at Marina ZarPar at the mo, top marks for venturing in at night... gawd its a shallow entrance!!.... Lovely boat however, and Mario the owner is on a circumnav'er headed for Mexico, the Pacific, then Indian Ocean... and much like the VOR65s back up that way on the long voyage home.

In the DR motor boats rule, the baseball stars that own the big ones, tis not a rig they're interested in, mainly how powerful the boom-box sound system is.... so the Najad's class is somewhat lost on the locals...

sailingboat-najad-570.jpg

/quote]

Yep,obviously so much cooler and better than this one for example:

post-54259-0-54937600-1419668503_thumb.jpg

I mean its got a different coloured flag and everything so it stands to reason it's a much cooler boat!

Rob

Bob - I'm with you. I know guitar players who babble on about having seven strings. I can be just bad enough with six (or twelve), thanks very much. Really, those guys mostly use it for alternate tunings. Gives you easy access to a drop-B or A for example, to add more depth (or power) to a chord.

Never saw the point, meself.

I now return you to Jaco. Or Geddy Lee. Or just maybe, boats. It is fun to look at the big ones, but I'm temporarily sworn off them. Every boat I've owned for the last 10 years or so has been smaller than the one before it.

I think of Alice Waters as inventing "field greens" salad. Remember when we only ate Iceberg and Romaine lettuce? I imagine Alice walking around in a field filled with weeds and thinking, "Hey, I wonder if we should be eating some of this stuff?"

I just saw Tuck and Patti, again. They're great. Here's Geddy:

68969.jpg

Since you're discussing (i.e., dissing) Judel/Vrolijk's design work, I'll post one of my favorite designs of theirs, the 47' Marlene:

post-3637-0-05888100-1419668415.jpg

Beautiful boat, but I can't look at it without thinking "wasted sailing length." Is there any credible benefit for cruising to overhangs other than to aesthetics (for some)? Please don't mention "reserve buoyancy."

Since you're discussing (i.e., dissing) Judel/Vrolijk's design work, I'll post one of my favorite designs of theirs, the 47' Marlene:

post-3637-0-05888100-1419668415.jpg

Beautiful boat, but I can't look at it without thinking "wasted sailing length." Is there any credible benefit for cruising to overhangs other than to aesthetics (for some)? Please don't mention "reserve buoyancy."

Well. You'd have a hard time immersing the transom. Forward overhangs keep the anchor from banging up the top sides.....

However, it's popular to believe that overhangs are what make for beautiful, traditional elegance. Personally, I think they were more a fad because the 'racers' of the day all had extreme overhangs due to early measurement rules. The more moderate cruisers were elegant because they were both moderate and done well and we now associate these features with beauty. Wood, varnish and craftsmanship are really what gives the beauty but it's subtle so we think it's the overhangs. Do a modern boat design in wood and varnish and it, too, will be considered elegant. The shorter overhangs will be an appreciated benefit as well.

It's really all about curves! Male dominated interests are always about the curves ( yup, we like em ). Planes, trains, automobiles and boats---- the beautiful ones all derive their elegance and appreciation from the curves. We can't help ourselves....

Mr. Haslip is a left handed bass player…

As to never moving away from mainstream 6 string guitars and 4 string basses, that and sticking with conventional instrument design and tuning… I could utter:

‘Boring as all hell’… ‘nothing new there’

(If I were prone to self-indulgent mockery)

Thanks for the pics of ‘Marlene’ frede…. nice vessel.

My family’s summer home was/is on the shore of the Edersee lake… So think many similar to that boat design shrunk down to day sail format, amd mainly wood these could be seen amongst the pontoons during the 80-90s holiday periods, till the fibre-glass tubs flooded in…through a local Elan dealer...

Our day sailor was named ‘Micha’….she’d get trolleyed in come Easter.

Around Waldeck-scheid it was claimed to have seven winds - flaky it was for sure - winging it around the many peninsular bends. Deutschland was however where my Dad taught me to sail…

I was on a Najad 391 this year (enroute to Dartmouth) so while heading into the Kieler Bucht, the U boat memorial and museum at Laboe is well worth the visit, you can physically enter U-995 which is propped up on the beach… Thoughts of ‘Das Boot’ will come swiftly to mind…

Probably not too smart to keep taking the pi€€ outta the German’s they did know a thing or two about boat design, just think Bismarck unt Tirpitz.

And if things get interesting with Putin and team Gazprom over the next year or three as we head for 2020… I wonder if this time they’ll stay firmly NATO allies? You see it seems Angela’s past has the whiff of STASI about it.

Rutsch ins neue Jahr meine nautischen Freunde

It's probably not very polite to correct you, but very German it is for sure :)

We say 'Guten Rutsch'. 'Rutsch' would be like wishing everyone merely a 'New Year', which is kind of nice, I guess, but also kind of weird.

And don't worry about 2020. I'm sure we will more than happily do our part to defend the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Kir:

No. I think it means I DID get it right the first two times.

As for the grey hair, I'm glads it's grey. That's better than shiny pink.

It looks darker when I smear salmon oil on it.

Aw, Bob - I hope you know I was just kidding.

I'm gonna spend the week on my I28... you sure got that one right.

Or if you want maximized sailing length from Judel/Vrolijk there is this:

post-3637-0-95032400-1419709474_thumb.jpg

I think both this and the prior Marlene are beautiful (if in vastly different ways). Keep in mind the Dehler above is a production boat and thus about 700,000 Euros less than the full custom Marlene.

We smashed the fucking U-boats, thank God for Turing.

That is so true. And look how we thanked this man. Really, if there was a scale that would measure the spread between your contributions to humanity and the way you are being commemorated, it would surely be called Turing. So, one Turing equals the distance between basically obliterating all Nazi U-Boots on the one hand and being denied the reversal of your sentence for homosexuality some FIFTY-SEVEN years after this drove you into poisoning yourself on the other.

From the S2H

Maluka of Kermandie. Thanks for posting that, I love her.

I guess showing up with this little thing year after year, that's the kind of cool I look for when I come here. It's a raw kind of cool. Think Sean Penn, think Mickey Rourke, think Norway, it's an honest, natural kind of cool.

Dehlers and Najad (and many others) to me they resemble a Madonna, Justin Bieber, L.A. kind of cool: Always trying to be IT, always failing even more obviously

(Puts wad in panties)

It's probably not very polite to correct you, but very Irish for sure

Cough…. Mickey Rourke an honest, natural kind of cool…?

OiuYCBd.jpg

Methinks you must be downing too many Oettingers….obviously.

Interweb is dire here in the DR, think 90s dial-up exacerbated by Xmas selfie Boca sin city postings now doubt…. So I cannot check… but I seem to remember in/on Google Earth, however some nauti anorak has listed every scuttled U-Boat and tagged them throughout that region of the Baltic…

Might be an interesting PADI dive project….

As to never moving away from mainstream 6 string guitars and 4 string basses, that and sticking with conventional instrument design and tuning… I could utter:

My family’s summer home was/is on the shore of the Edersee lake… So think many similar to that boat design shrunk down to day sail format, amd mainly wood these could be seen amongst the pontoons during the 80-90s holiday periods, till the fibre-glass tubs flooded in…through a local Elan dealer...

Around Waldeck-scheid it was claimed to have seven winds - flaky it was for sure - winging it around the many peninsular bends. Deutschland was however where my Dad taught me to sail…

I was on a Najad 391 this year (enroute to Dartmouth) so while heading into the Kieler Bucht, the U boat memorial and museum at Laboe is well worth the visit, you can physically enter U-995 which is propped up on the beach… Thoughts of ‘Das Boot’ will come swiftly to mind…

Probably not too smart to keep taking the pi€€ outta the German’s they did know a thing or two about boat design, just think Bismarck unt Tirpitz.

And if things get interesting with Putin and team Gazprom over the next year or three as we head for 2020… I wonder if this time they’ll stay firmly NATO allies? You see it seems Angela’s past has the whiff of STASI about it.

Danke sehr, und Ich hoffe Sie werden auch ein frohes Neues haben.

Danke sehr, und Ich hoffe Sie werden auch ein frohes Neues haben.

What he said. Don't forget the tits.

That is so true. And look how we thanked this man. Really, if there was a scale that would measure the spread between your contributions to humanity and the way you are being commemorated, it would surely be called Turing. So, one Turing equals the distance between basically obliterating all Nazi U-Boots on the one hand and being denied the reversal of your sentence for homosexuality some FIFTY-SEVEN years after this drove you into poisoning yourself on the other.

Oppenheimer was treated little better. I guess it's what we get for letting politicians run things.

Oppenheimer was treated little better. I guess it's what we get for letting politicians run things.

Sloop, have you ever read Feynman's "must be joking" autobiography? He surely wouldn't have given a shit about politicians or how he was treated.

Sloop, have you ever read Feynman's "must be joking" autobiography? He surely wouldn't have given a shit about politicians or how he was treated.

No I haven't but I suspect if he was treated like a criminal or traitor by self serving scum and prevented from working in his field he might have.

Saving Private Schultz…

?

Saving Private Ryan….

Steven Spielberg I dare say has a good grasp as to what the Nazi’s did and didn’t do well during WWII, and the rivers of Irish/Celt blood that was spilt in Hitler’s downfall. He was allegedly at Marina Hemingway a few weeks before we were earlier this year, no doubt doing some deeper research into Ernest.

As to the merits or not of ‘Blue Nun’… you’re on the money Matagi.

Tis true I’m not a Riesling fan. I once had the misfortune of tasting in the company of some German Alsatians, (not the four legged variety) something called ‘Neu Wein’… there wasn’t enough onion cake on the table to erase that shock to the pallete.

If it has to be weiß liebchen… then think more along the lines of Sandhi Sanford & Benedict Chardonnay….our white de jour on the boat in fact…

One thing that always amazed me while living in Germany, was how oft mensch would ask me if I had ever met the ‘Royal Family’…I dare say Queen Vic’s match of husband had something to do with it, that and the change of regal name title to ‘Windsor’ during July 1917.

“Deutschland, Deutschland ueber Alles ... “ That inherent, nagging need to feel constantly superior….I’m guessing it’s what you’d term inbred.

But back to boats, and J&V specifically…. recently on a certain crew-site someone several months back was seeking peeps to shift this to the USA, yes I did apply.

Sailing-1.jpg

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2010/Baltic-65-Stig-2607554/Italy

Though on pushing for devil detail, methinks it was a troll….as (a on the finer aspects as to what was actually involved…he/she was woolly beyond reasonable doubt…. and (b said boat is still very much on the market.

Finally… this for you hobot.

Bass amps: No
Upgraded sound system Tesla S: YES

The video of the MacGregor 26 in extreme conditions (50+ knots 18 foot seas) post #3732 - I don't believe it.

It's been posted and debunked before.

Personally, the wind & conditions look more like 20~25kt winds than like ~50.

As trailer trash myself, I've often sailed in company with Mac 26Xs and 26Ms; it's well proven that they don't have enough righting moment and have too much drag to make ground to windward in 15 kt of wind; less if there is any significant chop on the water. They don't generate enough horsepower to make ground to windward in less than about 6~7 kt winds.

Great home base for water toys, fairly cost-effective camper trailer... but sailboat? Umm, not if by "sailboat" you mean a boat that can actually sail.

FB- Doug

Good thing I didn't know it was impossible the day I sailed a 26M upwind in about 20 knots.

Well, maybe not such a good thing. The boat did OK, though it was hard to control. The newbies aboard didn't do so well. I think I cured them of the urge to sail for life. I still feel bad about it.

Good thing I didn't know it was impossible the day I sailed a 26M upwind in about 20 knots.

Well, maybe not such a good thing. The boat did OK, though it was hard to control. The newbies aboard didn't do so well. I think I cured them of the urge to sail for life. I still feel bad about it.

I think we may have different standards for "the boat did OK." One such example was a neighbor (whom we were and friends with, and remained so) was very adamant about his NEW Mac 26M being such a great performer. If driven very carefully, it could go close-hauled but generally either made so much leeway, or lost so much ground tacking, that by the time we were any significant distance towards an upwind goal, he would give up and start the motor. I never discussed this issue with him.

Hey I did admit it's a good camper, waddaya want

FB- Doug

We sailed it upwind. Admittedly, our ground track probably looked about like Rimas' did when he briefly sailed upwind. But anything less than 180 degrees is upwind.

Speaking of Rimas, it was a BLAST going back downwind. I saw 8 knots on the GPS briefly and would bet we were sustaining 7.

Gosh, 8 knots downwind. I do that upwind in a 505. Heck, over 20 years ago I saw 13 knots on the Solent--in a J-24. Doing 8 knots downwind in a modern sailboat is nothing to write home about. I averaged 7.4 knots in a bullseye 30 years ago, over 5 nautical miles, surfing downwind inshore between islands, in 30 knots sustained. That's pre- Great War 12 foot heavy keelboat showing up a modern 26 footer in similar wind. And we had 3 people onboard, too.

I don't think I'm mincing words to say that the 26m is an abomination. But that doesn't mean that it won't have its defenders. The problem with that boat is that it is the worst sort of compromise. And what is worse is that the marketing is just so over the top. Of course Macgregor's folksy manner was a major contributor to the sales.

I think though that the greater failing is that there really wasn't an answer to the 26x or the 26m. That beneslow thing (or was it hunter?) really didn't do it.

Instead of attempting to make a cheap sailboat do 25 knots upwind, a more reasonable compromise could have been achieved with about 12 knots. A significantly smaller engine, better lines aft, better sailing qualities.

Why did the 26m sell so well? Apparently the idea of having a "sail" boat proved remarkably popular. Even if it wasn't true. OK sure it sails. Sort of like sailing a raft.

Then again, if it were called a "motorsailer" maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Put up the sail on those rare occasions when it is good to do so. Otherwise just motor. Once upon a time, "motorsailer" was actually a legitimate category of yacht. Some were more motor, others were more sail. Some really famous designers made a real mark in the category (including Rhodes as well as S&S). Perhaps I've been judging the MAc26M unfairly. Consider her a motorboat 1st and foremost, and a sailboat last. That changes the thinking. I don't know.

Saving Private Schultz…

?

Saving Private Ryan….

Steven Spielberg I dare say has a good grasp as to what the Nazi’s did and didn’t do well during WWII, and the rivers of Irish/Celt blood that was spilt in Hitler’s downfall. He was allegedly at Marina Hemingway a few weeks before we were earlier this year, no doubt doing some deeper research into Ernest.

As to the merits or not of ‘Blue Nun’… you’re on the money Matagi.

Tis true I’m not a Riesling fan. I once had the misfortune of tasting in the company of some German Alsatians, (not the four legged variety) something called ‘Neu Wein’… there wasn’t enough onion cake on the table to erase that shock to the pallete.

If it has to be weiß liebchen… then think more along the lines of Sandhi Sanford & Benedict Chardonnay….our white de jour on the boat in fact…

One thing that always amazed me while living in Germany, was how oft mensch would ask me if I had ever met the ‘Royal Family’…I dare say Queen Vic’s match of husband had something to do with it, that and the change of regal name title to ‘Windsor’ during July 1917.

“Deutschland, Deutschland ueber Alles ... “ That inherent, nagging need to feel constantly superior….I’m guessing it’s what you’d term inbred.

But back to boats, and J&V specifically…. recently on a certain crew-site someone several months back was seeking peeps to shift this to the USA, yes I did apply.

Sailing-1.jpg

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2010/Baltic-65-Stig-2607554/Italy

Though on pushing for devil detail, methinks it was a troll….as (a on the finer aspects as to what was actually involved…he/she was woolly beyond reasonable doubt…. and (b said boat is still very much on the market.

Finally… this for you hobot.

Bass amps: No

Upgraded sound system Tesla S: YES

Is that a hot tub in the middle of the deck?

4371926_20130524004508266_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

The simple fact is, we are the politicians. They are us.

The problem is, we forgot they work for all of us and they should not be in this to do more than be compensated fairly for their service.

The sooner we accept that and work to change it, the better.

The video of the MacGregor 26 in extreme conditions (50+ knots 18 foot seas) post #3732 - I don't believe it.

It's been posted and debunked before.

Personally, the wind & conditions look more like 20~25kt winds than like ~50.

So, I'm not here to defend MacGregor but I saw that video. That boat was doing fine. The conditions were pretty lose to what was stated, though some may have a different opinion, for whatever reason.

Debunked by who and how, specifically.

How was Roger lying?

Gosh, 8 knots downwind. I do that upwind in a 505. Heck, over 20 years ago I saw 13 knots on the Solent--in a J-24. Doing 8 knots downwind in a modern sailboat is nothing to write home about. I averaged 7.4 knots in a bullseye 30 years ago, over 5 nautical miles, surfing downwind inshore between islands, in 30 knots sustained. That's pre- Great War 12 foot heavy keelboat showing up a modern 26 footer in similar wind. And we had 3 people onboard, too.

I don't think I'm mincing words to say that the 26m is an abomination. But that doesn't mean that it won't have its defenders. The problem with that boat is that it is the worst sort of compromise. And what is worse is that the marketing is just so over the top. Of course Macgregor's folksy manner was a major contributor to the sales.

I think though that the greater failing is that there really wasn't an answer to the 26x or the 26m. That beneslow thing (or was it hunter?) really didn't do it.

Instead of attempting to make a cheap sailboat do 25 knots upwind, a more reasonable compromise could have been achieved with about 12 knots. A significantly smaller engine, better lines aft, better sailing qualities.

Why did the 26m sell so well? Apparently the idea of having a "sail" boat proved remarkably popular. Even if it wasn't true. OK sure it sails. Sort of like sailing a raft.

Then again, if it were called a "motorsailer" maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Put up the sail on those rare occasions when it is good to do so. Otherwise just motor. Once upon a time, "motorsailer" was actually a legitimate category of yacht. Some were more motor, others were more sail. Some really famous designers made a real mark in the category (including Rhodes as well as S&S). Perhaps I've been judging the MAc26M unfairly. Consider her a motorboat 1st and foremost, and a sailboat last. That changes the thinking. I don't know.

You miss the same thing sailors always miss: it's a terrible motorboat. It's a better sailboat than it is a motorboat, and you seem to know how well it sails. How many have you sailed, btw?

You miss the same thing sailors always miss: it's a terrible motorboat. It's a better sailboat than it is a motorboat, and you seem to know how well it sails. How many have you sailed, btw?

Yes, I agree it would be a rather terrible motorboat. Having designed a lot of motorboats, I think that is not surprising.

I haven't sailed one (nor have I motored one) but I've sailed around them. And around.

So considering that you have sailed them and in your analysis, they are terrible motorboats, and in my analysis, their sailing qualities are, well, very lacking, I guess I should go back to my original assessment. Of course perhaps they work for some. Perhaps you can find some redeeming qualities.

Let me give you another example of a boat that I would call, overall, an abomination. The Hunter 146 (or was it 145?). Made of that plastic crap. Rudder very underspecified. Boat falls apart in a very annoying impossible to repair properly way. Sails slowly. Overall, I think you can do a lot better for the money at the time.

But. It does have its charms. It balances well. It sails albeit rather slowly. The seating is comfortable. You can carry 4 people and have plenty of room (and still be sailing). It is simple to rig. It isn't too terribly heavy and you can pull it up the beach. I haven't sailed it in 30 knots. Not sure I'd want to. But it has redeeming value--as an actual sailboat.

Now, perhaps you can find that in the Mac26m.

I could, but such a discussion really shouldn't occur in this thread. We're in coolboats. We're talking about Mac powersailers (motorsailers don't plane). We should be ashamed.

I sailed a MacGregor 36 catamaran a few times. If we're going to discuss a Mac in this thread, that should be the one.

I could, but such a discussion really shouldn't occur in this thread. We're in coolboats. We're talking about Mac powersailers (motorsailers don't plane). We should be ashamed.

I sailed a MacGregor 36 catamaran a few times. If we're going to discuss a Mac in this thread, that should be the one.

Nope. Thread drift is perfectly fine even in this thread! :D

Fastyacht... perhaps if you could tell us how you REALLY feel......

The Mac26m did a few things that all those boats us REAL sailors lust after don't do. They got folks out on the water, the trailerability part kept the moorage overhead costs low and the marginal construction kept the entry price low. They provided quite comfy camping facilities in 26 feet, perhaps even more comfy than most PROPER craft might do. They exposed folks to sailing and to powering and got them home in time to get back on the trailer so the kids could get their homework done on time on Sunday night.

They didn't have much aesthetic attraction.

They didn't have much performance comparable to most other 'yachts'.

They didn't have snob appeal.

and no, I really wouldn't want to be caught dead in one either, but many were sold so they must have actually met a need, both real and felt. In that sense perhaps they really are 'cool' boats----and we're just not the cool guys..... (mebbe)

(I can't believe I actually defended a Mac26.... :blink: )

The Mac26m did a few things that all those boats us REAL sailors lust after don't do. They got folks out on the water, the trailerability part kept the moorage overhead costs low and the marginal construction kept the entry price low. They provided quite comfy camping facilities in 26 feet, perhaps even more comfy than most PROPER craft might do. They exposed folks to sailing and to powering and got them home in time to get back on the trailer so the kids could get their homework done on time on Sunday night.

and no, I really wouldn't want to be caught dead in one either, but many were sold so they must have actually met a need, both real and felt. In that sense perhaps they really are 'cool' boats----and we're just not the cool guys..... (mebbe)

Go to your room.

The Mac 36 Cat was a sleeper for sure. A friend of mine bought one for next to nothing in the VI and while working for UK sails turboed the hell out of that cheap POS. Won a lot of races in very challenging conditions but had to continually upgrade the pinnings between the hulls and the crossbeams. Not to mention the standing rigging. Most bang for the buck of any cat I ever saw.

The Mac 36 Cat was a sleeper for sure. A friend of mine bought one for next to nothing in the VI and while working for UK sails turboed the hell out of that cheap POS. Won a lot of races in very challenging conditions but had to continually upgrade the pinnings between the hulls and the crossbeams. Not to mention the standing rigging. Most bang for the buck of any cat I ever saw.

The one I sailed was also picked up by a friend for cheap, but do we count the future doctor bills resulting from hours of grinding inside those hulls?

If so, it might not look so cheap one day...

But it was a blast to sail in a good breeze. Froze our nutz off one day beating up the bay into cold front winds, then turned around, opened up the (spiked) hot chocolate, and had probably the best reach of my life back home. This was pre-GPS and I really have no good guess as to how fast we got that thing going. Grinning fast.

Go to your room.

He's right and it is sort of a coolboat in that it proved you can build a powersailer for cheap and people will buy it. I've met too many of those buyers to accept the idea that they were all hoodwinked and thought they were buying something else.

It's still not a coolboat because masts don't belong on powerboats and it's primarily a powerboat. And a terrible one. And ugly to boot. But I still admire it. Just not in this thread. Usually.

We sailed it upwind. Admittedly, our ground track probably looked about like Rimas' did when he briefly sailed upwind. But anything less than 180 degrees is upwind.

You have very modest standards. :P