• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Adagio just started the Port Huron to Mackinaw race In her 52'nd year of racing. First large wood-epoxy boat boat built without fasteners. She rates faster than the Santa Cruz 70's.

Does it come with a codpiece?  And I can easily singlehand or cruise with the wife and no crew. I say that a lot when I see an exotic, beautiful car, or a mansion that is just too f'n big

Posted Images

Saving Private Schultz…

?

Saving Private Ryan….

Steven Spielberg I dare say has a good grasp as to what the Nazi’s did and didn’t do well during WWII, and the rivers of Irish/Celt blood that was spilt in Hitler’s downfall. He was allegedly at Marina Hemingway a few weeks before we were earlier this year, no doubt doing some deeper research into Ernest.

As to the merits or not of ‘Blue Nun’… you’re on the money Matagi.

Tis true I’m not a Riesling fan. I once had the misfortune of tasting in the company of some German Alsatians, (not the four legged variety) something called ‘Neu Wein’… there wasn’t enough onion cake on the table to erase that shock to the pallete.

If it has to be weiß liebchen… then think more along the lines of Sandhi Sanford & Benedict Chardonnay….our white de jour on the boat in fact…

One thing that always amazed me while living in Germany, was how oft mensch would ask me if I had ever met the ‘Royal Family’…I dare say Queen Vic’s match of husband had something to do with it, that and the change of regal name title to ‘Windsor’ during July 1917.

“Deutschland, Deutschland ueber Alles ... “ That inherent, nagging need to feel constantly superior….I’m guessing it’s what you’d term inbred.

But back to boats, and J&V specifically…. recently on a certain crew-site someone several months back was seeking peeps to shift this to the USA, yes I did apply.

Sailing-1.jpg

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2010/Baltic-65-Stig-2607554/Italy

Though on pushing for devil detail, methinks it was a troll….as (a on the finer aspects as to what was actually involved…he/she was woolly beyond reasonable doubt…. and (b said boat is still very much on the market.

Finally… this for you hobot.

Bass amps: No
Upgraded sound system Tesla S: YES

The video of the MacGregor 26 in extreme conditions (50+ knots 18 foot seas) post #3732 - I don't believe it.

It's been posted and debunked before.

Personally, the wind & conditions look more like 20~25kt winds than like ~50.

As trailer trash myself, I've often sailed in company with Mac 26Xs and 26Ms; it's well proven that they don't have enough righting moment and have too much drag to make ground to windward in 15 kt of wind; less if there is any significant chop on the water. They don't generate enough horsepower to make ground to windward in less than about 6~7 kt winds.

Great home base for water toys, fairly cost-effective camper trailer... but sailboat? Umm, not if by "sailboat" you mean a boat that can actually sail.

FB- Doug

Good thing I didn't know it was impossible the day I sailed a 26M upwind in about 20 knots.

Well, maybe not such a good thing. The boat did OK, though it was hard to control. The newbies aboard didn't do so well. I think I cured them of the urge to sail for life. I still feel bad about it.

Good thing I didn't know it was impossible the day I sailed a 26M upwind in about 20 knots.

Well, maybe not such a good thing. The boat did OK, though it was hard to control. The newbies aboard didn't do so well. I think I cured them of the urge to sail for life. I still feel bad about it.

I think we may have different standards for "the boat did OK." One such example was a neighbor (whom we were and friends with, and remained so) was very adamant about his NEW Mac 26M being such a great performer. If driven very carefully, it could go close-hauled but generally either made so much leeway, or lost so much ground tacking, that by the time we were any significant distance towards an upwind goal, he would give up and start the motor. I never discussed this issue with him.

Hey I did admit it's a good camper, waddaya want

FB- Doug

We sailed it upwind. Admittedly, our ground track probably looked about like Rimas' did when he briefly sailed upwind. But anything less than 180 degrees is upwind.

Speaking of Rimas, it was a BLAST going back downwind. I saw 8 knots on the GPS briefly and would bet we were sustaining 7.

Gosh, 8 knots downwind. I do that upwind in a 505. Heck, over 20 years ago I saw 13 knots on the Solent--in a J-24. Doing 8 knots downwind in a modern sailboat is nothing to write home about. I averaged 7.4 knots in a bullseye 30 years ago, over 5 nautical miles, surfing downwind inshore between islands, in 30 knots sustained. That's pre- Great War 12 foot heavy keelboat showing up a modern 26 footer in similar wind. And we had 3 people onboard, too.

I don't think I'm mincing words to say that the 26m is an abomination. But that doesn't mean that it won't have its defenders. The problem with that boat is that it is the worst sort of compromise. And what is worse is that the marketing is just so over the top. Of course Macgregor's folksy manner was a major contributor to the sales.

I think though that the greater failing is that there really wasn't an answer to the 26x or the 26m. That beneslow thing (or was it hunter?) really didn't do it.

Instead of attempting to make a cheap sailboat do 25 knots upwind, a more reasonable compromise could have been achieved with about 12 knots. A significantly smaller engine, better lines aft, better sailing qualities.

Why did the 26m sell so well? Apparently the idea of having a "sail" boat proved remarkably popular. Even if it wasn't true. OK sure it sails. Sort of like sailing a raft.

Then again, if it were called a "motorsailer" maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Put up the sail on those rare occasions when it is good to do so. Otherwise just motor. Once upon a time, "motorsailer" was actually a legitimate category of yacht. Some were more motor, others were more sail. Some really famous designers made a real mark in the category (including Rhodes as well as S&S). Perhaps I've been judging the MAc26M unfairly. Consider her a motorboat 1st and foremost, and a sailboat last. That changes the thinking. I don't know.

Saving Private Schultz…

?

Saving Private Ryan….

Steven Spielberg I dare say has a good grasp as to what the Nazi’s did and didn’t do well during WWII, and the rivers of Irish/Celt blood that was spilt in Hitler’s downfall. He was allegedly at Marina Hemingway a few weeks before we were earlier this year, no doubt doing some deeper research into Ernest.

As to the merits or not of ‘Blue Nun’… you’re on the money Matagi.

Tis true I’m not a Riesling fan. I once had the misfortune of tasting in the company of some German Alsatians, (not the four legged variety) something called ‘Neu Wein’… there wasn’t enough onion cake on the table to erase that shock to the pallete.

If it has to be weiß liebchen… then think more along the lines of Sandhi Sanford & Benedict Chardonnay….our white de jour on the boat in fact…

One thing that always amazed me while living in Germany, was how oft mensch would ask me if I had ever met the ‘Royal Family’…I dare say Queen Vic’s match of husband had something to do with it, that and the change of regal name title to ‘Windsor’ during July 1917.

“Deutschland, Deutschland ueber Alles ... “ That inherent, nagging need to feel constantly superior….I’m guessing it’s what you’d term inbred.

But back to boats, and J&V specifically…. recently on a certain crew-site someone several months back was seeking peeps to shift this to the USA, yes I did apply.

Sailing-1.jpg

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2010/Baltic-65-Stig-2607554/Italy

Though on pushing for devil detail, methinks it was a troll….as (a on the finer aspects as to what was actually involved…he/she was woolly beyond reasonable doubt…. and (b said boat is still very much on the market.

Finally… this for you hobot.

Bass amps: No

Upgraded sound system Tesla S: YES

Is that a hot tub in the middle of the deck?

4371926_20130524004508266_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

We smashed the fucking U-boats, thank God for Turing.

That is so true. And look how we thanked this man. Really, if there was a scale that would measure the spread between your contributions to humanity and the way you are being commemorated, it would surely be called Turing. So, one Turing equals the distance between basically obliterating all Nazi U-Boots on the one hand and being denied the reversal of your sentence for homosexuality some FIFTY-SEVEN years after this drove you into poisoning yourself on the other.

Oppenheimer was treated little better. I guess it's what we get for letting politicians run things.

Sloop, have you ever read Feynman's "must be joking" autobiography? He surely wouldn't have given a shit about politicians or how he was treated.

The simple fact is, we are the politicians. They are us.

The problem is, we forgot they work for all of us and they should not be in this to do more than be compensated fairly for their service.

The sooner we accept that and work to change it, the better.

The video of the MacGregor 26 in extreme conditions (50+ knots 18 foot seas) post #3732 - I don't believe it.

So, I'm not here to defend MacGregor but I saw that video. That boat was doing fine. The conditions were pretty lose to what was stated, though some may have a different opinion, for whatever reason.

Debunked by who and how, specifically.

How was Roger lying?

Gosh, 8 knots downwind. I do that upwind in a 505. Heck, over 20 years ago I saw 13 knots on the Solent--in a J-24. Doing 8 knots downwind in a modern sailboat is nothing to write home about. I averaged 7.4 knots in a bullseye 30 years ago, over 5 nautical miles, surfing downwind inshore between islands, in 30 knots sustained. That's pre- Great War 12 foot heavy keelboat showing up a modern 26 footer in similar wind. And we had 3 people onboard, too.

I don't think I'm mincing words to say that the 26m is an abomination. But that doesn't mean that it won't have its defenders. The problem with that boat is that it is the worst sort of compromise. And what is worse is that the marketing is just so over the top. Of course Macgregor's folksy manner was a major contributor to the sales.

I think though that the greater failing is that there really wasn't an answer to the 26x or the 26m. That beneslow thing (or was it hunter?) really didn't do it.

Instead of attempting to make a cheap sailboat do 25 knots upwind, a more reasonable compromise could have been achieved with about 12 knots. A significantly smaller engine, better lines aft, better sailing qualities.

Why did the 26m sell so well? Apparently the idea of having a "sail" boat proved remarkably popular. Even if it wasn't true. OK sure it sails. Sort of like sailing a raft.

Then again, if it were called a "motorsailer" maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Put up the sail on those rare occasions when it is good to do so. Otherwise just motor. Once upon a time, "motorsailer" was actually a legitimate category of yacht. Some were more motor, others were more sail. Some really famous designers made a real mark in the category (including Rhodes as well as S&S). Perhaps I've been judging the MAc26M unfairly. Consider her a motorboat 1st and foremost, and a sailboat last. That changes the thinking. I don't know.

You miss the same thing sailors always miss: it's a terrible motorboat. It's a better sailboat than it is a motorboat, and you seem to know how well it sails. How many have you sailed, btw?

You miss the same thing sailors always miss: it's a terrible motorboat. It's a better sailboat than it is a motorboat, and you seem to know how well it sails. How many have you sailed, btw?

Yes, I agree it would be a rather terrible motorboat. Having designed a lot of motorboats, I think that is not surprising.

I haven't sailed one (nor have I motored one) but I've sailed around them. And around.

So considering that you have sailed them and in your analysis, they are terrible motorboats, and in my analysis, their sailing qualities are, well, very lacking, I guess I should go back to my original assessment. Of course perhaps they work for some. Perhaps you can find some redeeming qualities.

Let me give you another example of a boat that I would call, overall, an abomination. The Hunter 146 (or was it 145?). Made of that plastic crap. Rudder very underspecified. Boat falls apart in a very annoying impossible to repair properly way. Sails slowly. Overall, I think you can do a lot better for the money at the time.

But. It does have its charms. It balances well. It sails albeit rather slowly. The seating is comfortable. You can carry 4 people and have plenty of room (and still be sailing). It is simple to rig. It isn't too terribly heavy and you can pull it up the beach. I haven't sailed it in 30 knots. Not sure I'd want to. But it has redeeming value--as an actual sailboat.

Now, perhaps you can find that in the Mac26m.

I could, but such a discussion really shouldn't occur in this thread. We're in coolboats. We're talking about Mac powersailers (motorsailers don't plane). We should be ashamed.

I sailed a MacGregor 36 catamaran a few times. If we're going to discuss a Mac in this thread, that should be the one.

I could, but such a discussion really shouldn't occur in this thread. We're in coolboats. We're talking about Mac powersailers (motorsailers don't plane). We should be ashamed.

I sailed a MacGregor 36 catamaran a few times. If we're going to discuss a Mac in this thread, that should be the one.

Nope. Thread drift is perfectly fine even in this thread! :D

Fastyacht... perhaps if you could tell us how you REALLY feel......

The Mac26m did a few things that all those boats us REAL sailors lust after don't do. They got folks out on the water, the trailerability part kept the moorage overhead costs low and the marginal construction kept the entry price low. They provided quite comfy camping facilities in 26 feet, perhaps even more comfy than most PROPER craft might do. They exposed folks to sailing and to powering and got them home in time to get back on the trailer so the kids could get their homework done on time on Sunday night.

They didn't have much aesthetic attraction.

They didn't have much performance comparable to most other 'yachts'.

They didn't have snob appeal.

and no, I really wouldn't want to be caught dead in one either, but many were sold so they must have actually met a need, both real and felt. In that sense perhaps they really are 'cool' boats----and we're just not the cool guys..... (mebbe)

(I can't believe I actually defended a Mac26.... :blink: )

The Mac26m did a few things that all those boats us REAL sailors lust after don't do. They got folks out on the water, the trailerability part kept the moorage overhead costs low and the marginal construction kept the entry price low. They provided quite comfy camping facilities in 26 feet, perhaps even more comfy than most PROPER craft might do. They exposed folks to sailing and to powering and got them home in time to get back on the trailer so the kids could get their homework done on time on Sunday night.

and no, I really wouldn't want to be caught dead in one either, but many were sold so they must have actually met a need, both real and felt. In that sense perhaps they really are 'cool' boats----and we're just not the cool guys..... (mebbe)

Go to your room.

The Mac 36 Cat was a sleeper for sure. A friend of mine bought one for next to nothing in the VI and while working for UK sails turboed the hell out of that cheap POS. Won a lot of races in very challenging conditions but had to continually upgrade the pinnings between the hulls and the crossbeams. Not to mention the standing rigging. Most bang for the buck of any cat I ever saw.

The Mac 36 Cat was a sleeper for sure. A friend of mine bought one for next to nothing in the VI and while working for UK sails turboed the hell out of that cheap POS. Won a lot of races in very challenging conditions but had to continually upgrade the pinnings between the hulls and the crossbeams. Not to mention the standing rigging. Most bang for the buck of any cat I ever saw.

The one I sailed was also picked up by a friend for cheap, but do we count the future doctor bills resulting from hours of grinding inside those hulls?

If so, it might not look so cheap one day...

But it was a blast to sail in a good breeze. Froze our nutz off one day beating up the bay into cold front winds, then turned around, opened up the (spiked) hot chocolate, and had probably the best reach of my life back home. This was pre-GPS and I really have no good guess as to how fast we got that thing going. Grinning fast.

Go to your room.

He's right and it is sort of a coolboat in that it proved you can build a powersailer for cheap and people will buy it. I've met too many of those buyers to accept the idea that they were all hoodwinked and thought they were buying something else.

It's still not a coolboat because masts don't belong on powerboats and it's primarily a powerboat. And a terrible one. And ugly to boot. But I still admire it. Just not in this thread. Usually.

We sailed it upwind. Admittedly, our ground track probably looked about like Rimas' did when he briefly sailed upwind. But anything less than 180 degrees is upwind.

You have very modest standards. :P

Do I ever have a Mac 36 story. In 1985(?) I was in St Maarten and did some brutal racing and delivery of a Mac 36 with Randy West. Randy, some brit whose name I don't remember, and I delivered her to Martinique and raced her in the 1st annual Martinique Grand Prix. BTW: we were within in two boat lengths when Credit Agricole and Naga tangled it up and punctured each others' hulls at the start of a race....but that is a another story.

Anyway, that POS was fast and really fun to sail. The buoy races had some spinnaker reaches right in front of a beach packed with spectators. We would get the hull flying with Randy steering and me trimming chute. There was some really fun racing.....

But

The first night on the delivery we broke the windward stay. We didn't lose the mast, but above the spreaders it was way out of column. We pulled into St. Bart and did a temporary fix with anchor chain to get us down to Martinique where we fixed it right. The daggerboards leaked so one of us was down below bailing into the sink for extended periods of time (both hulls had this problem). The sink drained slowly so it would take forever. The winches were compressing into the decks and the cleats were pulling out. Eventually we pushed the boat too hard in the last race and the mast did fail.

We ended up taking third in the regatta and winning just enough money to cover our expenses for 5 days (we did stay in a pretty ritzy resort and partied hard). It was a super fun time. But the Mac 36 barely held together and was kinda scary to push hard in the trades.

You have very modest standards. :P

I sail a Sun Cat. But then, my nomination in the SA "Coolest Boat Ever" thread was Sailrocket.

Do I ever have a Mac 36 story. In 1985(?) I was in St Maarten and did some brutal racing and delivery of a Mac 36 with Randy West. Randy, some brit whose name I don't remember, and I delivered her to Martinique and raced her in the 1st annual Martinique Grand Prix. BTW: we were within in two boat lengths when Credit Agricole and Naga tangled it up and punctured each others' hulls at the start of a race....but that is a another story.

Anyway, that POS was fast and really fun to sail. The buoy races had some spinnaker reaches right in front of a beach packed with spectators. We would get the hull flying with Randy steering and me trimming chute. There was some really fun racing.....

But

The first night on the delivery we broke the windward stay. We didn't lose the mast, but above the spreaders it was way out of column. We pulled into St. Bart and did a temporary fix with anchor chain to get us down to Martinique where we fixed it right. The daggerboards leaked so one of us was down below bailing into the sink for extended periods of time (both hulls had this problem). The sink drained slowly so it would take forever. The winches were compressing into the decks and the cleats were pulling out. Eventually we pushed the boat too hard in the last race and the mast did fail.

We ended up taking third in the regatta and winning just enough money to cover our expenses for 5 days (we did stay in a pretty ritzy resort and partied hard). It was a super fun time. But the Mac 36 barely held together and was kinda scary to push hard in the trades.

Any boat that survives Captain Randy for more than a few days has to have some merit. Fill us in on the Naga 'Jack the Giant Killer' story. I've heard it from a couple of different stories.

Basically, Credit Agricole had a perfect start going. Hard on the wind charging the pin. Naga tried to barge in. When it became apparent that Naga wasn't going to make it in front of Credit, rather than stick it up into the wind as he should have, he tried to bear away and pass in front of Credit. He didn't even make it to Credit's leeward ama. Credit's windward bow pierced Naga just behind the cockpit. Naga then spun back and his starboard ama stern punctured Credit's starboard hull down near the waterline. The two boats were stuck together like that for several minutes. I don't remember how they got them apart. We were just to windward of the two boats and closest of anybody. We were de-powering to let Credit go by so we could fall in immediately behind them. Credit had to retire from the regatta. Naga nailed a piece of plywood over the hole in his vaka and went on to win the regatta. (IIRC)

At the time, I respected Jack Petit tremendously. But, in this incident, he erred catastrophically. What was disappointing for me was, that evening at the bar, when discussing the collision, Jack blamed the Credit mainsheet trimmer for not cracking the sheet quick enough so Credit could bear away to avoid the collision. The fact that Jack couldn't admit that he fucked up big time lowered my esteem for him greatly.

I got over it.

So, Rasputin, is that similar to the accounts of that fiasco that you heard?

The germans get some unfair press about Deutscheland uber alles. Its mid 19th century genesis was liberal and republican, and focused at an internal audience, pushing for a unified Germany rather than the fragmented nation states then in existence - viz ' Germany above all [ else ] '

the fact that maluka is going to finish is cool. what a great looking boat. popeye would love her line. a lot of stone horse in those lines.

looking it up, stone horse was designed about this same time. interesting.

Edited by the_abandoned_brane

Beautiful boat ( Maluka ) I think you'd want to own a boatyard to restore it / get it up to CAT1 ... oh wait he does!

From the NY Times: "Langman purchased the vessel in 2005 for a mere 20,000 Australian dollars, or $21,000, and spent a further 250,000 dollars on restoring the yacht, which had fallen into disrepair. He estimates that the restoration, which was done as part of Noakes Youth, a program the family runs teaching sailing skills to area youths, took more than 15,000 man-hours."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/26/sports/26iht-srshboat26.html

Illegal:

I like the Najad. It looks great. It just doesn't show me anything new. Back to guitar playing, I listen to a player and I think "show me something new." "So you can mimic Mark Knophler perfectly. So what. Show me something I haven't heard before." But there is nothing "wrong" with the Najad. I've heard technically perfect guitar players who were boring to listen to. I prefer the guys who play on the edge of their technique. I like Tuck from Tuck and Patty. I like Tommy Emmanuel the Australian picker. He makes you hold your breath hoping he can complete the run. " He can't do it! Train wreck! He can't do it!" And always does.

Saw him live at a cozy bar venue in Alexandria, VA called the Birchmere. He and his brother can both play - man, it sounds like 3 guitars goin' when Tommy starts flailing - he's cleaner acoustically than most Satriani/Vai type electric players.

Basically, Credit Agricole had a perfect start going. Hard on the wind charging the pin. Naga tried to barge in. When it became apparent that Naga wasn't going to make it in front of Credit, rather than stick it up into the wind as he should have, he tried to bear away and pass in front of Credit. He didn't even make it to Credit's leeward ama. Credit's windward bow pierced Naga just behind the cockpit. Naga then spun back and his starboard ama stern punctured Credit's starboard hull down near the waterline. The two boats were stuck together like that for several minutes. I don't remember how they got them apart. We were just to windward of the two boats and closest of anybody. We were de-powering to let Credit go by so we could fall in immediately behind them. Credit had to retire from the regatta. Naga nailed a piece of plywood over the hole in his vaka and went on to win the regatta. (IIRC)

At the time, I respected Jack Petit tremendously. But, in this incident, he erred catastrophically. What was disappointing for me was, that evening at the bar, when discussing the collision, Jack blamed the Credit mainsheet trimmer for not cracking the sheet quick enough so Credit could bear away to avoid the collision. The fact that Jack couldn't admit that he fucked up big time lowered my esteem for him greatly.

I got over it.

So, Rasputin, is that similar to the accounts of that fiasco that you heard?

That is pretty much how I heard it. Somehow his nailing the ply over the hole and then winning the fairly substantial prize money just added to the 'underdog' status that Jack was gaining. He became quite revered by the French Multi crowd but his ability to speak French and his tenacity went a long way in that respect. He sure know how to squeeze the most out of that Newick and himself.

The more I look at that YMT house the more I like it.

I think that the house fits the masculine aspect of a Metal boat.

Nah. It's not growing on me at all. But I love her hull lines.

I really like your design, Yves.

The more I look at that whole boat, the more I like it. A very rugged and practical deckhouse on an easily-driven hull. Antique-looking spars carrying a very modern rig. Very practical fast-drain bulwarks.

Yves-Marie, it would be wonderful if you could post a few more photos or even write a blog article about it.

I like that, more and more. It says, "I go places."

I really like your design, Yves.

The more I look at that whole boat, the more I like it. A very rugged and practical deckhouse on an easily-driven hull. Antique-looking spars carrying a very modern rig. Very practical fast-drain bulwarks.

Yves-Marie, it would be wonderful if you could post a few more photos or even write a blog article about it.

I agree!

I like that, more and more. It says, "I go places."

And do it in style, and get you there safely.

So, I'm not here to defend MacGregor but I saw that video. That boat was doing fine. The conditions were pretty lose to what was stated, though some may have a different opinion, for whatever reason.

Debunked by who and how, specifically.

How was Roger lying?

Saying it's 50 knots of wind... I mean, really??

Watch it for a little, describe in your own words the surface of the water, and then see where on the Beaufort scale that description fits.

I dont want to bias anybody by telling what I see

FB- Doug

This is reported as 45. It looks like an average 30 mph day on SF bay, maybe gusting to 45, but it looks pretty steady. Interestingly the boat seems to be going to windward ok. Not pointing like a tourist, but maybe 50 degrees?

Even if it were all true, what's that crap heap doing here? It's a bloody ugly plastic bath tub.

Bruce Clark 52.

Built 1974.

WV2164F.jpg

AVo8FRB.jpg

VDYdxjr.jpg

DAWgyYS.jpg

She's a beauty but she would be prettier without so much junk in the trunk IMO. Actually too much junk all over the deck in the other photos, she is 52' long FFS, I imagine the owners needed a big boat just to tote all that stuff.
Do some offshore and "junk in your trunk" is pretty well part of life.

What you sea is what you get and require.

Tender life raft solar fuel etc.

Life at sea is not a aesthetic pursuit.

Pro:

I have Emmy Lou's SPY BOYS cd and I have always loved that bass players style but I did not recognize him at first on your vid clip. My wife walked in, heard the tune and said, "We have that." I played the entire SPY BOYS cd. I have not been a huge Lanois fan. I think of him as the C&W equivalent of Phil Spector, i.e. it's all about the production. Probably not fair but I bought the Bob Dylan double album TIME OUT OF MIND ( I think it's actually a triple album on vinyl) and I could never make it through even one side. I like to keep the production element sort of invisible. I prefer LET IT BE NAKED to the Spector produced version of those Beatle tunes. But seeing your vids I will have to give Lanois a second chance. If he's good enough for Emmy Lou he has to be good enough for me.

Is that Lanois playing bass on the second video? Great tune.

The first video the bass player and the drummer are Spy Boy alumni. I saw Emmy Lou about 10 years ago and I know that drummer Brady Blade was there, but can't recall who else was. Production value, while I don't think is a make or break issue, can push a very good album to an excellent level ie: Emmy Lou's "Wrecking Ball" Mr Lanios producing. " Time Out Of Mind" is a double album, try giving it another spin. "Naked" by FAR better than the original, with Mr McCartney and Mr Starr producing. I have the vinyl. The second video is Mr Lanois on guitar 15 years on from the first video, with Brian Blade on drums. Mr Blade is one of the top drummers today, spending a lot of time in the jazz world, but can rock with the best of them too. I recently got a drum kit after a 40 year lay off, and have a loooooong way to catch up! Real long. Cheers

Beautiful boat ( Maluka ) I think you'd want to own a boatyard to restore it / get it up to CAT1 ... oh wait he does!

From the NY Times: "Langman purchased the vessel in 2005 for a mere 20,000 Australian dollars, or $21,000, and spent a further 250,000 dollars on restoring the yacht, which had fallen into disrepair. He estimates that the restoration, which was done as part of Noakes Youth, a program the family runs teaching sailing skills to area youths, took more than 15,000 man-hours."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/26/sports/26iht-srshboat26.html

It's a beautiful boat.

I wonder if the "dime on the dollar" rule applies in this case? Did he really make it worth $46,000 by spending a quarter million?

Pro:

I'm not geeky at all when it comes to my guitars and amps. I have a pedal a friend gave me, DigiTech. I have it sitting in front of my amp. I have never used it.

I'm totally geeky when it comes to my hi-fi. All top end NAIM and LINN in the living room and NAIM and Audionote in the office. Happy that vinyl is finally catching on with the kids. I'm committed to vinyl. I use a Scala MC cartridge.

I like it where Lanois says , "Let's see what speakers I have in there."

Pro:

I'm not geeky at all when it comes to my guitars and amps. I have a pedal a friend gave me, DigiTech. I have it sitting in front of my amp. I have never used it.

I'm totally geeky when it comes to my hi-fi. All top end NAIM and LINN in the living room and NAIM and Audionote in the office. Happy that vinyl is finally catching on with the kids. I'm committed to vinyl. I use a Scala MC cartridge.

I like it where Lanois says , "Let's see what speakers I have in there."

Funny, I was just admiring your work over at Kim's place and now I find out you're a Naim guy too. After years of trying out gear, I stopped cold when I tried those little black boxes with the big grey knobs.

TwoLegged.

I am writing something about the boat on my blog. Under "Puzzle". It will take a while to compose the entire piece but if you check regularly you will see progress.

Thank you, Yves. I look forward to additional posts on your nice design.

TwoLegged.

I am writing something about the boat on my blog. Under "Puzzle". It will take a while to compose the entire piece but if you check regularly you will see progress.

Thank you, Yves-Marie. I found the blog entry at http://www.tantonyachtdesign.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/puzzle.html

I like what I see so far, and look forward to more whenever you have find time to write it.

SW Florida will be a good place to admire some coolboats this coming weekend.

From the Facebook page of the West Coast Trailer Sailer Squadron's founder and chief boat herder:

Wow! 16 boats (so far) heading for Panther Key in the 10,000 Islands this weekend for the WCTSS cruise:
1. ******* - SunCat 17- Nomad
2. ******* - DS2 - The Red Witch -
3. ******* - DS2
4. ******* - MoonShadow - SP21
5. ******* - SeaPearl 21
6. ******* - SeaPearl 21
7. ******* - MacGregor 26X
8. ******* - Egret
9. ******* - MacGregor 26M
10 ******* - SunCat 17 (probable)
11. ******* - SunCat 17 (Probable) About Time
12. ******* - SunCat 17 -Gatito
13. ******* - Suncat 17
14. ******* - Krueger SeaWind
15. ******* - Egret
16. ******* - SCAMP

Sun Cats are coolboats to admire. So are Egrets and Sea Pearls. I love the SCAMP. Heck, even DS2's and Krueger SeaWind's are coolboats to admire.

A couple others snuck in there somehow. I admire anyone who is out enjoying his boat.

Yeah, I wonder what the boxes are like behind the drivers or if there are any boxes. Driver efficiency is all about the enclosure.

I suspect there are no boxes. However, maybe that hobbit door is a very sneaky tuned port.

(If you only have eyes for wood, and stuff styled 1930s… please look away/block now)

This week I’m mainly liking Finot-Conq's new 53 footer… Gotta just luv those damn kool Frenchie’s that sure know how to create magic outta carbon…

4u9nmV4.jpg

http://www.finot-conq.com/en/content/fc3-53-feet

Since Ourson Rapide… 50-100' fast cruisers seem to be their specialist custom thing, for owners looking for a boat a tad less mainstream for their blue-water needs

(Would be nice to see pics of the real thing come 2016) The 61 is ahead in the build time line.

For me it’s soon time to hoist the ‘Blue Peter’ for the off to Puerto Rico. Did the test sail out into the badass Caribb sea on the 5th, and despite a leaking escape hatch damaged during the break in during August, most onboard is now finally tickety-boo….

So toodle-pip folks…

(If you only have eyes for wood, and stuff styled 1930s… please look away/block now)

This week I’m mainly liking Finot-Conq's new 53 footer… Gotta just luv those damn kool Frenchie’s that sure know how to create magic outta carbon…

4u9nmV4.jpg

http://www.finot-conq.com/en/content/fc3-53-feet

Since Ourson Rapide… 50-100' fast cruisers seem to be their specialist custom thing, for owners looking for a boat a tad less mainstream for their blue-water needs

(Would be nice to see pics of the real thing come 2016) The 61 is ahead in the build time line.

For me it’s soon time to hoist the ‘Blue Peter’ for the off to Puerto Rico. Did the test sail out into the badass Caribb sea on the 5th, and despite a leaking escape hatch damaged during the break in during August, most onboard is now finally tickety-boo….

So toodle-pip folks…

Sweet... kinda Pogo XL

Rigged for cruising. Vintage racer has some history. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/boa/4817732153.html

It looks like the interior is built for Hobbits.

00q0q_8JVHr2LRdBt_600x450.jpg

Is that a prayer rug or a tatami mat?

FB- Doug

how do boats like that come to be? Trust fund kid with some plywood skills? What a whack job that thing is.