If I wanted to do some serious sportfishing around here I can't imagine a cooler boat to do it from. Better not be in a rush to get back to port though. :D

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/4870958596.html

I like aspects of this pilothouse boat. Let's get the 'sailing' out of the way first - by dumping that ketch rig altogether though. Maybe retain a stabilising spanker mast?

What I really like is her hull form and deckhouse treatment.

Interesting that I had some less-than-complementary comments about a similarly-themed house treatment on the YMT Cutter a few pages back. But in this case, it works in a classic work-boat kind of application - in aesthetics, form and function, rather than a sort of style statement.

• Replies 16.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Adagio just started the Port Huron to Mackinaw race In her 52'nd year of racing. First large wood-epoxy boat boat built without fasteners. She rates faster than the Santa Cruz 70's.

Does it come with a codpiece?  And I can easily singlehand or cruise with the wife and no crew. I say that a lot when I see an exotic, beautiful car, or a mansion that is just too f'n big

Posted Images

If I wanted to do some serious sportfishing around here I can't imagine a cooler boat to do it from. Better not be in a rush to get back to port though. :D

I like aspects of this pilothouse boat. Let's get the 'sailing' out of the way first - by dumping that ketch rig altogether though. Maybe retain a stabilising spanker mast?

What I really like is her hull form and deckhouse treatment.

Interesting that I had some less-than-complementary comments about a similarly-themed house treatment on the YMT Cutter a few pages back. But in this case, it works in a classic work-boat kind of application - in aesthetics, form and function, rather than a sort of style statement.

Reading the body of the ad and from the last pic it sounds like that is exactly how it was rigged at one point. I'd be more inclined to put on a rig big enough that it would actually sail.

Love the lines of this Farr 40 hull, the hardtop is a bit aesthetically challenged but it doesn't have to be pretty to be cool, yes?

$35k seems like a bargain if you're into a certain lived in, water world look.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Farr-40-Sail-Boat-Cruiser-Racer-ready-to-go-/121553592478?pt=AU_Boats&hash=item1c4d28a09e

Bruce Farr designed 40ft race/cruiser, constructed by Peter Milner in Perth 1985, Paladin raced in the 1986 Sydney to Hobart coming 4th in her IOR class and 14th overall, and going on to compete in the Around Alone, round the world yacht race in 1998 finishing in 216 days.

attachicon.gif$_57.JPG

attachicon.gif$_12.JPG

Comes with a post anarchy loudspeaker in the salon and a psycopink gitar !! :)

Present owner has a storage door/cubbyhole for each day of the week.

Crawling room down below...

Fisher Potter 25. Many did only have the mizzen jigger mast, but (very nearly) all Fishers have the fishing boat style reverse inclined wheelhouse windows.

fisher-25-potter-60121070080254684848545Fisher-37.jpg

Fisher-Rally.JPG

Talitha G was originally Reveler. The Cox & Stevens design had one, properly proportioned funnel. In 1993 she was "modernized" under the direction of Jon Bannenberg who created two oversize funnels to conceal equipment including the giant communications domes of the day. I thought it was a pretty good tradeoff......

When I saw the photo of Talitha G I thought it had a certain resemblance to the Danish royal yacht, aside from the double stacks. It was built about the same time, 1931, and it does have the communications domes they hid on Talitha G. Click through for the full size.

Nahlin. Owned by Sir James Dyson - the vacuum cleaner guy. Built in 1929/1930 by John Brown & Co, builders of the Lusitania, HMS Hood, HMS Repulse, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Elizabeth 2. Chartered by Edward VIII so he could shag Wallace without the raised eyebrows that would have resulted from cruising on Victoria & Albert III, the royal yacht. .

Nahlin.jpg

1) Hangover from when engines weren't reliable.

2) Clipper bows look better with masts.

3) Flags.

4) Have to give the crew something to varnish. They're going to sit on their arses too much otherwise.

2008-08-08_3796_atlantide-2.jpg

(Atlantide. Restored by Tom Perkins)

Talitha G was originally Reveler. The Cox & Stevens design had one, properly proportioned funnel. In 1993 she was "modernized" under the direction of Jon Bannenberg who created two oversize funnels to conceal equipment including the giant communications domes of the day. I thought it was a pretty good tradeoff......

When I saw the photo of Talitha G I thought it had a certain resemblance to the Danish royal yacht, aside from the double stacks. It was built about the same time, 1931, and it does have the communications domes they hid on Talitha G. Click through for the full size.

Nahlin. Owned by Sir James Dyson - the vacuum cleaner guy. Built in 1929/1930 by John Brown & Co, builders of the Lusitania, HMS Hood, HMS Repulse, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Elizabeth 2. Chartered by Edward VIII so he could shag Wallace without the raised eyebrows that would have resulted from cruising on Victoria & Albert III, the royal yacht. .

Nahlin.jpg

Glad that Nahlin fared better than the first 3 ships you listed.

The things we do for love!

Done in grp that would make a very nice commuter Kim.

This is a commuter:

aphrodite.jpg

APHRODITE was built by the Purdy Boat Company and launched in May of 1937 for Wall Street financier and later Ambassador to the Court of St. James, John Hay (Jock) Whitney of Manhasset, Long Island.

Best described as a "Commuter Yacht", this elegant and sleek 74-footer would each morning whisk Mr. Whitney from his large two-story boat house westward down Long Island Sound and thru the East River to his Wall Street office. During the 45 minute commute Mr. Whitney would go up to the forward cockpit and read the Herald Tribune to catch up on the day's news.

Yep, I built a model of CORSAIR when I was a kid. I can still smell the glue.

Bob, you are supposed to cap the glue before you go to sleep.

Does anyone else remember those cute little cans of Humbrol model paint?

humbrol-enamel.png

I had a whole collection of those things and, in the end used some of them to mark the nuts and bolts on my first motorcycle the make sure nothing had moved.

Early engines not so reliable...plus had to bunker coal for power...what happens if you run out. Masts and sails were a known quantity and provided a back up/hybrid power source if necessary. Same thing happened (to a lesser degree) as aircraft transitioned from recip to jet power...

Ryan-Fireball-150-.jpg

Early engines not so reliable...plus had to bunker coal for power...what happens if you run out. Masts and sails were a known quantity and provided a back up/hybrid power source if necessary. Same thing happened (to a lesser degree) as aircraft transitioned from recip to jet power...

Ryan-Fireball-150-.jpg

THat's funny! Somehow I never heard of that one! Thanks!

(The FR-1 Fireball)

Unlike ships though, notice that, because of the extreme weight sensitivity of aero stuff, this hybrid solution had almost zero influence. Unlike sailing, which has been pretty much 100% hybrid since 1860 or so for anything other than a dinghy.

Ryan-Fireball-150-.jpg

How about a real link to the real plane? I can't be the only person here who recognizes it!

Wikipedia- Ryan Fireball

If that's not cool enough, check out the Dark Shark! In all fairness, no hybrid jet/prop fighter was ever actually deployed as a combat aircraft by the US. Jet propulsion moved forward pretty quickly.

FB- Doug

Paddle Steamer Waverley.

http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/

Clyde-399-cj-900x600.jpg

R-Stornaway-HASTE-YE-BACK-900x600.jpg

Its smaller cousins steam regularly on the Elbe river in Dresden, Germany.

I went up the river on one and they thoughtfully enclosed the piston and crank with glass under the pilot house so you can watch the mechanicals as you go on the river.

Krippen%20at%20Dresden%20in%202004.jpg

Edited by soak_ed

Ryan-Fireball-150-.jpg

How about a real link to the real plane? I can't be the only person here who recognizes it!

Wikipedia- Ryan Fireball

If that's not cool enough, check out the Dark Shark! In all fairness, no hybrid jet/prop fighter was ever actually deployed as a combat aircraft by the US. Jet propulsion moved forward pretty quickly.

FB- Doug

No pun intended!

Question:

Can those paddle wheelers reverse one paddle with the other in forward? I sure like them. Commercial vessels built in a day when aesthetics counted.

Yes they can. I worked on a stern wheeler this summer. It had two wheels on the stern and we would throw on in reverse as we turned around. It didn't twist the boat like a twin screw would, but it did stop the slide during the turn. I would think side wheelers would twist more, like twin screws.

Question:

Can those paddle wheelers reverse one paddle with the other in forward? I sure like them. Commercial vessels built in a day when aesthetics counted.

Yes they can. I worked on a stern wheeler this summer. It had two wheels on the stern and we would throw on in reverse as we turned around. It didn't twist the boat like a twin screw would, but it did stop the slide during the turn. I would think side wheelers would twist more, like twin screws.

The paddles are optimized to go forward. They may have a lot less thrust backing down.

Question:

Waverley can't. Only enough room for one engine - a honkin great big triple expansion on the single axle.

Somehow I had never heard of the dual propulsion planes either. Very interesting reading. Thanks

Probably the most extreme example and as far as I know the only one that went into service was the B-36 Peacemaker or "Aluminium Overcast".

6 turning and 4 burning.

post-95343-0-77034300-1422997451_thumb.jpg

Each of the 6 radial engines had 28 cylinders, 4 valves per cylinder, 2 plugs per cylinder, turbocharged AND supercharged.

Imagine being on the ground crew when the crew chief said "O/K men, today we're doing plugs & points and adjusting the valves" :o

336 spark plugs, 672 valves - all 20 or 30 feet in the air, working from a lift.

Hey! I like the BEAVER.

There was a replica of Beaver here years ago - don't know where it went.

Up the Fraser?

It was important in Vancouver history.

Imagine rounding the Horn in that thing. :o

Hey! I like the BEAVER.

Up the Fraser?

It sank in Cowichan Bay after falling into disrepair. Poor thing.

Somehow I had never heard of the dual propulsion planes either. Very interesting reading. Thanks

Probably the most extreme example and as far as I know the only one that went into service was the B-36 Peacemaker or "Aluminium Overcast".

6 turning and 4 burning.

attachicon.gifConvair_B-36J-5-CF_Peacemaker.jpg

Each of the 6 radial engines had 28 cylinders, 4 valves per cylinder, 2 plugs per cylinder, turbocharged AND supercharged.

Imagine being on the ground crew when the crew chief said "O/K men, today we're doing plugs & points and adjusting the valves" :o

336 spark plugs, 672 valves - all 20 or 30 feet in the air, working from a lift.

A fair number of aircraft of the time had "supplemental" jet engines for sprint speed, or for heavily loaded takeoffs. Besides the Boxcar and the Peacemaker, the Lockheed P2V Neptune had them as well...as the transition to either pure jets or turboprops came along, the "throw a couple small jet engines on the wings" era came to an end as well...

p2v_lockheed_neptune_vp65_jun1970.jpg

A book I had as a kid was 1950s. IT was all about rockets. I remember a page in there about JATO rockets for heavy takeoffs.

Still used sometimes. Pretty spectacular ride.

JATO's! I love those things. You should see Fat Albert (Blue Angles C-130) do a JATO assisted takeoff. Odd but they didn't do that routine at this years Homecoming Show in Pensacola. After getting shut down for a whole year for budget, I guess they didn't want to push it with the bean counters.

FatAlbertRato.jpg

Nice clip Sloop.

I'll raise you with this.

Operation Combat Talon. The plan to land a C-130 in the soccer stadium and get the hostages out in Iran.

Here is a better look at a test flight landing where the rocket bottles popped off a bit early! Correction, the Iran rescue was named 'Credible Sport' Pretty fucking Incredible if you ask me!

Hey! I like the BEAVER.

Up the Fraser?

It sank in Cowichan Bay after falling into disrepair. Poor thing.

Wow

It looks like somebody has been pretty tough on the Beaver

Beav104.jpg

-DSK

My yard is a magnet for strange boats. Cowmaran. Folding Schooner. And now, the Half-Fast Cruiser has appeared.

10968328_10204827738647304_6107396996161

OK, so it might also be a candidate for the Uglyboat thread to some, but I think it's cool. One reason: it's actually an old Chris Craft, assigned to weed patrol in the Zombie fleet. Pat rescued it and used only the bottom, which was in excellent shape!

Bare%2BHull%2B1.JPG

He extended it a bit, put on a house, made it his own, and soon it will get a 70 hp Yamaha.

My yard is a magnet for strange boats. Cowmaran. Folding Schooner. And now, the Half-Fast Cruiser has appeared.

He extended it a bit, put on a house, made it his own, and soon it will get a 70 hp Yamaha.

Aww, that's cute as hell. Got that 'ugly duckling' thing going. 70 sounds like way too much for puttering Grandma around the canals, tho.

Aww, that's cute as hell. Got that 'ugly duckling' thing going. 70 sounds like way too much for puttering Grandma around the canals, tho.

I designed a 17 foot boat some years back, with a 25. It went 25. Then another guy liked the plans and wanted to build one. He asked if he could put a 90 on it. I said, "are you friggin crazy?!" Ultimately I authorized 50 HP but redesigned the scantlings (the original was 6 mm/9mm) and put 1/2" on the bottom (I think---have to look it up). Long of the short of it, he had no problem going in the high 40s in that thing (I can't remember whether he broke 50--doubt it) and he won a spearfishing championship by running her from Point Judith all the way to Block Island in bad weather. Everyone else stayed closer and I guess he got the fish! In the end though, he go caught out--again off point judith--and got pitchpoled in the surf. It happened the day there was a hurricane 1500 miles away and the set came in rather suddenly. But he didn't lose the boat! Towed it in upside down. Lucky.

So no, you definitely don't need a 70 for that boat ;-)

I think I know why - that big concrete slab to work on, what appears to be a big test pond in the background, no visible neighbours to complain about visual blight and the weather's usually sunny.

If I lived anywhere near you I'd probably bring my boats over too. :D

I designed a 17 foot boat some years back, with a 25. It went 25. Then another guy liked the plans and wanted to build one. He asked if he could put a 90 on it. I said, "are you friggin crazy?!" Ultimately I authorized 50 HP but redesigned the scantlings (the original was 6 mm/9mm) and put 1/2" on the bottom (I think---have to look it up). Long of the short of it, he had no problem going in the high 40s in that thing (I can't remember whether he broke 50--doubt it) and he won a spearfishing championship by running her from Point Judith all the way to Block Island in bad weather. Everyone else stayed closer and I guess he got the fish! In the end though, he go caught out--again off point judith--and got pitchpoled in the surf. It happened the day there was a hurricane 1500 miles away and the set came in rather suddenly. But he didn't lose the boat! Towed it in upside down. Lucky.

pfff.... have you seen a bassboat (the lake kind, not the Mackenzie Cuttyhunk kind)?

Yea, I've seen bass boats, and they look ridiculous to me. But what the heck, they are probably fun at speed, so who am I to judge?

I guess there's sort of an excuse over 'fishing tournaments', but it's the same self-delusion that goes along with most 'off road' SUV's and Riceboy 'racecars'. A tin rowboat with 6hp was all I ever needed to catch bass.

I talked to him about that subject. I recommended 50-60 hp as adequate. Thing is, he wants a Yamaha and the 70 weighs the same. Impressive engine. I looked into getting one for my 15 Whaler because it weighs the same as my old 70 hp two stroke did.

He figures if he's going to carry that weight, might as well have the extra speed if needed. You can always throttle back.

His current boat is a Bolger Microtrawler. He likes it but wanted more speed for the Half Fast Cruiser.

What a little beauty for someone....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/4888803068.html

Squadron Yachts built several nice little boats - 4 IIRC.

I always remembered a line from one of their ads - the boat was "An elegant craft of admirable comfort for leisurely tours of the harbour and dashing sorties into the bay". :D

After reading that how could you not want one for lazy Sundays?

What a little beauty for someone....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/4888803068.html

Squadron Yachts built several nice little boats - 4 IIRC.

I always remembered a line from one of their ads - the boat was "An elegant craft of admirable comfort for leisurely tours of the harbour and dashing sorties into the bay". :D

After reading that how could you not want one for lazy Sundays?

+1