Wally Esense. Not my cup of tea

http://www.wally.com/esense/

I looked at that link and right at the top is a menu entry for "Wally World". :lol: :lol:

With that much money involved one would think they could avoid making themselves look like clueless idiots. Do they offer the services of "Captain Ron" for deliveries?

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Adagio just started the Port Huron to Mackinaw race In her 52'nd year of racing. First large wood-epoxy boat boat built without fasteners. She rates faster than the Santa Cruz 70's.

Does it come with a codpiece?  And I can easily singlehand or cruise with the wife and no crew. I say that a lot when I see an exotic, beautiful car, or a mansion that is just too f'n big

Posted Images

I looked at that link and right at the top is a menu entry for "Wally World". :lol: :lol:

With that much money involved one would think they could avoid making themselves look like clueless idiots. Do they offer the services of "Captain Ron" for deliveries?

At least Captain Ron got that rotting beast more than 200 miles, unlike some other delivery captains.

When they first started popping up on the internet I thought it must have just been amazing render quality, or a couple of rich idiots getting fleeced. Looking at the list though, they have 38 sailboats launched, and a range of powerboats and tenders to go with them. I guess the mega rich folks mustn't find wallyworld quite as amusing as the rest of us

Let me tell you the ittle story.

Here's a cool one:

774pic1.jpg

Yves, what's the story with this one?

The Dyer Flyer.

Let me tell you the story.

Dyer Jones of the Anchorage asked me to re-design the 1946 or so D. 10, the original Philip Rhodes dinghy.

The idea was to offer a performance oriented frostbiter using the molds. (the 46 model was lwood and lapstrake built).

Modifications included what is in the leaflet, plus changing and lowering the freeboard, the rounding of the gunwales and new foils for the centerboard and the rudder. She is a squirely small boat with performance well above her size of only 10'. Several hundreds have been built.

When they first started popping up on the internet I thought it must have just been amazing render quality, or a couple of rich idiots getting fleeced. Looking at the list though, they have 38 sailboats launched, and a range of powerboats and tenders to go with them. I guess the mega rich folks mustn't find wallyworld quite as amusing as the rest of us

If Wally made a catamaran it would look like a Gunboat.

Here you go!

http://www.aeroyacht.com/sailing-catamarans/morrelli-melvin-aeroyacht/aeroyacht-121/

Here you go!

http://www.aeroyacht.com/sailing-catamarans/morrelli-melvin-aeroyacht/aeroyacht-121/

I was pretty damn close. :D

Thanks Bob. The offset companionway has saved my scalp from serious boom damage on many a morning's rise and shine.

Regarding Ruth, she was one of 3 built by eye back in 1934-5 to the lines of what is locally known as a Hampton boat. A very specialized fishing type. She's the oldest continuously operational tourboat running in New England. Never missed a season in 79 years.

Anybody like dinghy/tenders?

1941587_10152804166241579_42651841463658

Yup! :)

Me too. I always liked the Shellback! It's Joel White design IIRC

C'est vrai! I met Joel once back in the 80s. He was so kind and friendly I made it my mission to build one of his designs first. That's a great tender and a very fun sailor when you drop the hook in a quiet cove after a brilliant summer day of sailing.

I saw this boat while waiting to take on fuel in Southwest Harbor last summer and circled around for a better look.

DSCF2221_zpsd5f5715e.jpg

Hey now...

DSCF2222_zpsa8d89e80.jpg

Ohhhh, that explains it.

DSCF2224_zpsb6125f8f.jpg

To me it looks like a solution for someone who's had more than his share of port/starboard situations

You see green, you can go, you see red, you give way!

there was a white J24 on LIS many years ago that had the bows painted red. about 2 feet. The red ended with a line exactly matching the bow angle. RC "who's over?" The red boat!

EXODUS, movement of jah people!

That's the shit. How about a few more pix and some info?

EXODUS, movement of jah people!

That's the shit. How about a few more pix and some info?
We re-built her last year, she was launched in 2013 and sailed as a basic shell with a telegraph pole as a mast. She was re-caulked re-fastened, new hanging and lodging knees, chain plates, channels, forstay backstay fitting, mast boom, Gunter, bowsprit, tiller, interior fit out, exterior, mouldings, handles, cleats, winches, and the rest. The list was endless. I have a video of rebuilding a ketch mizzen mast from a 1929 90 ft cutter that ran aground. We took allot of the Douglas fir to build Exodus's new rig design

post-98638-0-73885500-1426164194_thumb.jpg

post-98638-0-29197800-1426164212_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thats wierd, I get this screen come up when I click on the star beside the title of this thread, which takes me to the last unread thread. Firefox, three times now.

Anyone else ?

post-105471-0-36030300-1427898478_thumb.jpg

Thats wierd, I get this screen come up when I click on the star beside the title of this thread, which takes me to the last unread thread. Firefox, three times now.

Anyone else ?

Just happened to me for the first time.

Edit: twice now.

Looking thru the boats advertised on CraigsList/Maine, I found several cool boats.

00q0q_1Kkwk8jUDqo_600x450.jpg

Pete Culler design, I think.

http://maine.craigslist.org/bod/4926847161.html

00a0a_jaV9yanXfhR_600x450.jpg

Sam Crocker designed "Sally Rover".

http://maine.craigslist.org/bod/4934369801.html

00E0E_hHtyXzEZ4jD_600x450.jpg

S&S Gulfstream

http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/4912024580.html

LOL.

I like rowing on the lake. The seaplanes go dip their wings and go round again waiting for you to move out of the fairway. Then after they land and taxi down the lake, the pilote smiles and waves and says, "thanks!" out the open window.

I *love* that.

The Cheoy Lee was my attempt at channeling Phil Rhodes.

I think it's a handsome boat.

Compare Rhodes design #618:

piera.jpg

http://astro.temple.edu/~bstavis/pr/rhodes618.htm

A friend of mine restored that boat at Hinckley... at a cost that would give most people the sweats. Sadly, after he sold the boat, the next owners had their captain take her to St Barths where she sat for a couple of seasons, rarely moving. My understanding is that she needs another complete rebuild of similar cost to the one previously undertaken up in SW Harbor.

Naaahhhh - couldn't possibly - just ask a wooden boat owner about how they are really no more work than a glass boat.

Ask around the northeastern States especially or S.F. Bay.

I talked to the owner of Solquest.

He told me the package was on the way, so I held off on the DVD.

Hope you like the series, it's a pretty big deal down here in Tassie.

If you ever want to do your own trip around the island, happy to oblige, I suspect Kim would be up for it too.

I talked to the owner of Solquest.

He told me the package was on the way, so I held off on the DVD.

Hope you like the series, it's a pretty big deal down here in Tassie.

If you ever want to do your own trip around the island, happy to oblige, I suspect Kim would be up for it too.

Yup, Kim would be up for it!!

Nice

Except for the honkin' big metal-clad block on the jib clew. That's going to beat the mast and anything else in it's way to jelly in less than three tacks.

Closer look, there are some other stupid features on this boat. No doubt it's beautiful from just the right distance

FB- Doug

Nice

Except for the honkin' big metal-clad block on the jib clew. That's going to beat the mast and anything else in it's way to jelly in less than three tacks.

Closer look, there are some other stupid features on this boat. No doubt it's beautiful from just the right distance

FB- Doug

2:1 on the jib sheet - self tacking jib. Clew gets nowhere near the mast.

01.jpg

Nice

FB- Doug

01.jpg

Ah so, from -that- angle I can see how it works.

Still wouldn't want to get anywhere near it when the jib is luffing.

FB- Doug

Nice

Nice

FB- Doug

01.jpg

FB- Doug

The Wally here looks all good when the sun is shining and the seas are flat.

WTF happens when the heavens open up and a you are visited by a tempest of wind and large seas.

I suppose all the bikini clad bimbos are well secured down below.

Nice

FB- Doug

01.jpg

FB- Doug

The Wally here looks all good when the sun is shining and the seas are flat.

WTF happens when the heavens open up and a you are visited by a tempest of wind and large seas.

I suppose all the bikini clad bimbos are well secured down below.

Probably call for the megayacht to come and take everybody off and let the hired help take the Wally back to port.

Nice

FB- Doug

01.jpg

FB- Doug

I think the point is no one gets anywhere near it ever. Crew are so messy.

Nice

FB- Doug

01.jpg

FB- Doug

I think the point is no one gets anywhere near it ever. Crew are so messy.

That's a nice looking BBQ between the helms.

When I see a boat like that huge daysailer I think: What would happen if you were out sailing and you got depressed? What now? Get a little boat to cheer you up?

Can't ever remember that happening to me in any boat, Bob - but I guess it could happen. :)

Well, the scenario I have in mind is that you are anchored in say Porto Fino, you are by yourself, except for three crew members who think you are an ass hole. You have a drink in your hand. Then a 280' mega yacht comes in and anchors next to your puny 100'er. The big mega yacht is covered with semi naked women. You look around and all of a sudden you feel lonely and you start thinking "If I only had a bigger boat I could be happy".

Maybe that's me projecting. Maybe it doesn't work like that at all. I'll never know.

Thanks Bob. The offset companionway has saved my scalp from serious boom damage on many a morning's rise and shine.

Regarding Ruth, she was one of 3 built by eye back in 1934-5 to the lines of what is locally known as a Hampton boat. A very specialized fishing type. She's the oldest continuously operational tourboat running in New England. Never missed a season in 79 years.

C'est vrai! I met Joel once back in the 80s. He was so kind and friendly I made it my mission to build one of his designs first. That's a great tender and a very fun sailor when you drop the hook in a quiet cove after a brilliant summer day of sailing.

I only met Joel once also. Standing at the end of his boatyards dock at about 8AM on a still Sunday morning with nobody else around waiting for my friends to wake up and come in to shore in their dinghy to take me out to their B40 for the sail back to SW Harbor this quite tall, older guy came strolling out the dock and quietly enjoyed the view with me for a few minutes. I had no idea who he was, just seemed like a nice older man who was enjoying being close to the water and the peaceful beginning of a new day as I was. Eventually he asked what brought me to Brooklin (NOT what the hell you doing on my dock?) and I explained what I was doing and that my friends seemed to have overslept. He casually said, well why don't you row one of those dinghys (as he nodded towards the dinghy dock) out to your friends boat, and I replied (still no clue who he was) that I didn't have a dinghy here and wouldn't want to borrow one without owners permission. He said, it's OK, you can use any of those down there, just leave it on the mooring and I'll come out and get it later. So, still thinking it a bit odd for anyone to make such a statement, I thanked him and introduced myself and he introduced himself and the light finally came on. He'd already been diagnosed with cancer and only lived a few more years but based on that one chance meeting, I really wish I could have got to know him better. From everything I've heard about him, that's pretty much how he treated everyone, a really nice man!

Well, the scenario I have in mind is that you are anchored in say Porto Fino, you are by yourself, except for three crew members who think you are an ass hole. You have a drink in your hand. Then a 280' mega yacht comes in and anchors next to your puny 100'er. The big mega yacht is covered with semi naked women. You look around and all of a sudden you feel lonely and you start thinking "If I only had a bigger boat I could be happy".

Maybe that's me projecting. Maybe it doesn't work like that at all. I'll never know.

Somewhere, sometime, I saw a video clip of Hugh Hefner on big power yacht, surrounded by young women, of course. I thought for a minute or two about the possibilities, and realized that, if it were me on the big yacht, I'd be surrounded by the same guys I sail with on my little sailboat.

I heard a line once that is sort of apropos - "Give a man $100 million and you have a frustrated billionaire"

Of all the vises the green eyed monster is truly the worst, happiness is being happy with what you have. Some one always has more, is better looking, has a prettier wife/gf, smarter kids... comparison and envy is game for punters.

I only met Joel once also. Standing at the end of his boatyards dock at about 8AM on a still Sunday morning with nobody else around waiting for my friends to wake up and come in to shore in their dinghy to take me out to their B40 for the sail back to SW Harbor this quite tall, older guy came strolling out the dock and quietly enjoyed the view with me for a few minutes. I had no idea who he was, just seemed like a nice older man who was enjoying being close to the water and the peaceful beginning of a new day as I was. Eventually he asked what brought me to Brooklin (NOT what the hell you doing on my dock?) and I explained what I was doing and that my friends seemed to have overslept. He casually said, well why don't you row one of those dinghys (as he nodded towards the dinghy dock) out to your friends boat, and I replied (still no clue who he was) that I didn't have a dinghy here and wouldn't want to borrow one without owners permission. He said, it's OK, you can use any of those down there, just leave it on the mooring and I'll come out and get it later. So, still thinking it a bit odd for anyone to make such a statement, I thanked him and introduced myself and he introduced himself and the light finally came on. He'd already been diagnosed with cancer and only lived a few more years but based on that one chance meeting, I really wish I could have got to know him better. From everything I've heard about him, that's pretty much how he treated everyone, a really nice man!

SWMBO and I spent a lovely day with Joel White once many years ago. We were introduced to him by one of Aage Nielsen's daughters. He was one of the nicest and most charming men we have ever met.

Don't think that it doesn't happen Bob. Even to guys like Tiger Woods.

article-2295996-18C9E4AD000005DC-753_634

The Chris mentioned is Elin's new boyfriend. Size does matter!

tiger-woods-yacht_2514522b.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2295996/Elin-Nordegrens-billionire-boyfriend-bigger-yacht-ex-Tiger-Woods.html

I suspect that Elin and Chris spend a lot of quality time on the swim platform.

That swim platform usually has a submarine sitting on it.

Yacht-Mine-Games-Submarine-Yacht-charter

I did some design work for the bigger sister (196') yacht to this one at Trinity but am not sure the build ever started. The smaller Mine Games seen here had a crane under the back of the bench

seat across the back of the aft deck. A lid popped up and the whole thing rose out vertically on hydraulics. The sub had no garage hence the larger design. It had a 'rumble seat' sort of transom/tailgate that hinged out at the aft lower edge to about 145 degrees where its inner surface became parallel to the water and formed the swim platform. Big double extension overhead beam cranes could pluck the sub out of the deep toy garage and then deposit it on the platform. Then the platform could be lowered to launch the sub or tender. Seems like the crane moved either the sub or tender almost 30'! Hinging the door at the bottom added a lot to that lift and transfer distance. I felt it would have been more practical to hinge the door at the top to have the sub starting closer to the waters edge but who wants to be practical?

I'd bet that bubble on the sub got good and steamed up on occassion when Chris explored the depths with Elin!

image036.jpg

Depending on how much they want, this looks pretty cool.

http://victoria.craigslist.ca/boa/4972551588.html

Been there for a while I suspect.

Volvo 2001 was " new" thirty years ago.

Sweet boat, wonder what the planking is, it looks pretty dark.

Doesn't mean much - I had a new YSM8 for 15 years before it got installed & used.

Ad says cedar on oak - red cedar for sure.

Actually, you have a point there, Bob. Under those circumstances I'd at least be pissed I couldn't trade just one of those semi-naked women for my three arsehole crew members, at least.

Pretty sure if you could afford a 100' sailboat in Portofino, you could buy any girl of your dreams as a last resort. :D

My thought was that in time you might tire of "friends" you bought. But I've never been there so I don't know. I hope I have never been there. I had a very wealthy client once years ago who's circle of friends were all people who lived off him. It was a shame, sad. He was really a good guy but he was suspicious of everyone.

I had a very wealthy client once years ago who's circle of friends were all people who lived off him. It was a shame, sad. He was really a good guy but he was suspicious of everyone.

Sounds like he wasn't suspicious enough.

Don't think that it doesn't happen Bob. Even to guys like Tiger Woods.

article-2295996-18C9E4AD000005DC-753_634

The Chris mentioned is Elin's new boyfriend. Size does matter!

tiger-woods-yacht_2514522b.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2295996/Elin-Nordegrens-billionire-boyfriend-bigger-yacht-ex-Tiger-Woods.html

I suspect that Elin and Chris spend a lot of quality time on the swim platform.

If an immaculate Rozinante sailed past those Reeboks I wouldn't notice them.

They'd be very comfortable, I'm sure, but they have all the originality of a Corolla...