• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on the S Boat painting from the photo I posted a few days ago, and I thought y'all might like to see how it's coming along. It's 12" X 24". I liked the composition of the photo,

Available as a sloop or yawl.

My old Schooner "Europe". The first yacht registered under the brand new European Union flag. Baptised  by Princess Grace Kelly of Monaco. We acquired the boat after she went around the world. Thank y

Posted Images

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:21 PM, RKoch said:

The Chaparrals were built here (Midland), and there is one of each model on display at the museum. Once or twice a year they fire them up and drive 'em around. Sounds glorious.

I was recently at the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta and this anchored next to me, the tender (the big steam yacht) is a flawlessly restored steam yacht, with steam engines, which actually participated in the Dunkirk evacuation. They sailboat is another humdrum flawless restoration of a 100 year old or so Herreshoff.

IMG_0775 copy 2.jpg

28 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

The Chaparrals were built here (Midland), and there is one of each model on display at the museum. Once or twice a year they fire them up and drive 'em around. Sounds glorious.

I was recently at the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta and this anchored next to me, the tender (the big steam yacht) is a flawlessly restored steam yacht, with steam engines, which actually participated in the Dunkirk evacuation. They sailboat is another humdrum flawless restoration of a 100 year old or so Herreshoff.

IMG_0775 copy 2.jpg

I wonder where you find a licensed steam engineer? That looks like it's long enough to require one. I've seen it a couple of times. An absolute beauty!

15 hours ago, Elegua said:

I wonder where you find a licensed steam engineer? That looks like it's long enough to require one. I've seen it a couple of times. An absolute beauty!

I am a licensed steam engineer, actually. Where do you find anything, on the internet of course! The older merchie engineers all had steam licenses. If they're looking for an engineer I would definitely consider coming out of retirement for a boat like that.

Oh and 2Leg, big boats are cool, if they're big enough.

FB- Doug

18 minutes ago, IStream said:

The world's first and only sail-powered submarine.

Don't we wish!  Then we wouldn't have to look at it.

But I predict that eventually "A" will become cool.  Some designs look very strange until we get to know them better (I'm thinking cars).  The bizarre becomes familiar, and then normal, and finally classic.  OK, perhaps not in this case...

8 minutes ago, valis said:

Don't we wish!  Then we wouldn't have to look at it.

But I predict that eventually "A" will become cool.  Some designs look very strange until we get to know them better (I'm thinking cars).  The bizarre becomes familiar, and then normal, and finally classic.  OK, perhaps not in this case...

"The shape of things to come"? 

Brilliant tagline, terrible prediction.

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I am a licensed steam engineer, actually. Where do you find anything, on the internet of course! The older merchie engineers all had steam licenses. If they're looking for an engineer I would definitely consider coming out of retirement for a boat like that.

Oh and 2Leg, big boats are cool, if they're big enough.

FB- Doug

Cool. Did you read this? I found it fascinating. http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/12821/making-steam-the-life-and-times-of-a-u-s-navy-chief-engineer

21 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

IMG_0775 copy 2.jpg

20 hours ago, Elegua said:

Atlantide was listed as having diesel engines when on the market 5 years ago. Restored by Tom Perkins. 

https://www.boatinternational.com/yacht-market-intelligence/brokerage-sales-news/classic-motor-yacht-atlantide-for-sale-at-freedom-marine--11583

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Hmmmm, where to drop this thread drift. Cool boat thread seems right, as this is pretty cool. Stunning flamenco bassist. Happy Saturday.

A couple of very nice chords at time 1:40!  Not sure if they're exxactly "flamenco" chords, but certainly beautiful playing.

4 minutes ago, valis said:

A couple of very nice chords at time 1:40!  Not sure if they're exxactly "flamenco" chords, but certainly beautiful playing.

Yea, they jumped out at me too. Not flamenco chords, but sounds more jazz-influenced. Neat chord progression.

Damn, I want to play bass, and not by myself!  I'm seldom in one place long enough to actually hook up with anyone regularly/reliably, and I'm usually not good enough to just drop into the middle of a going concern.  But I do love it...

22 hours ago, valis said:

Damn, I want to play bass, and not by myself!  I'm seldom in one place long enough to actually hook up with anyone regularly/reliably, and I'm usually not good enough to just drop into the middle of a going concern.  But I do love it...

Every band needs a bass player

FB- Doug

7 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

How do you get a bass player off the porch?  

Pay him for the Pizza. 

;-)  (I play bass and guitar in our band - that little joke was courtesy of our drummer)

There's all kinds of funny band jokes. One of my favs.... What was the last thing the drummer said before being fired from the band?  "Hey guys, check out this song I wrote".

Did you hear the one about the drummer who finished high school?

-- Me neither.

(I told this one at a band practice and guess what?  The drummer hadn't finished high school.  He was pretty annoyed.)

How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?

-- None.  The keyboard player can do that with his left hand.

(The last gig I did had a keyboard player who was completely taking over my space on the bottom end.  I think their regular bassist must have spent all his time noodling around with the high notes.)

A cruiser dropped anchor in a remote S Pacific atoll. As he was rowing ashore, he heard drums in the distance. On reaching the shore, he saw natives furiously running about, packing their belongings into canoes. He stopped one man and asked what was going on. The man replied "Drums. Very bad", and rushed on. The cruiser stopped another man and asked him. Second native replied "Drums bad, everyone must leave", and rushed away.  Stopping a third native, he asked why the drums were so bad. The native replied "when drums stop, bass solo".

23 hours ago, southerncross said:

Ruweida 5.jpg

Marilee?

Sailed her in 2001 on the Upper Bay ofNY and the lower Hudson River. The aft trimmer hatch cover was pulled off by the main sheet. I saw it flying and grabbed the main sheet, dove overboard and got my left arm wet pulling the hatch back in board. It was too nice and new to lose. 

The owner was happy but his wife thought I was gone for when she saw me go overboard...

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Is that Ringo?

Seems kind of odd that he, of all people, would want a boat shaped like a guitar. An acoustic, no less.

FB- Doug

Drum sets don't rate well.

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I admire it for being utterly useless for any purpose other than the one shown. Looks good for that purpose.

21125589_10212475340472572_1795716286996

Wheel steering? I guess a tiller would present problems. Still seems odd on such a small boat.

I'd have gone for a push/pull vertical tiller on one side.  Sort of like a whipstaff.....  (but then, I'm a bit unconventional)

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Is that Ringo?

Seems kind of odd that he, of all people, would want a boat shaped like a guitar. An acoustic, no less.

FB- Doug

Yeah, a coracle would seem a better choice.

9 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I'd use foot steering myself to keep hands free for lines and tossing treats to my dog in the forward cockpit

The foot steering works great in 2.4 mR's. And those little things have a whole bunch of lines for their size.

On 29/08/2017 at 11:44 AM, RKoch said:

image.jpg

Australian singer-songwriter Josh Pyke commissioned fellow-Australian guitar-smiths Maton to build a boat shaped like an acoustic guitar. Pyke rode the 'Guitar Boat' through Sydney Harbour for the Make You Happy music video, he has since sold the 'boat' for $7,000 donating all proceeds to charity.

This is about as cool as it gets. Bill Gardens personal boat, designed AND built by him for himself. In his book he describes designing it to make use of a Thunderbird keel he had been given.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/d/pocket-schooner-toadstool/6259684615.html

Toadstool.jpg

43 minutes ago, Presuming Ed said:

Sorry, but urgh. 

??? What don't you like about it? Schooner, nice sheer, clipper bow, not too "piratey".... personally I think the dodger looks like pure ass but I'm sure it makes the boat more comfy, so I'll give it a pass on that.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Sorry Ed but Brits are not permitted to comment negatively on yacht esthetics.

Why on earth not? Are you suggesting we don't know how to draw a good looking boat?

IMG_0963.JPG.3037c15086d1ca40d678e83fc5d20c29.JPG

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

??? What don't you like about it? Schooner, nice sheer, clipper bow, not too "piratey".... personally I think the dodger looks like pure ass but I'm sure it makes the boat more comfy, so I'll give it a pass on that.

FB- Doug

Yes. Schooner & clipper bow. On a 30' LOD boat? Ridiculous. Proportions are all wrong.

Clipper bows should be restricted to boats longer than 100', unless they have _very_ low freeboard. Schooners should be longer than 60'.

2 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

Why on earth not? Are you suggesting we don't know how to draw a good looking boat?

Yes. Schooner & clipper bow. On a 30' LOD boat? Ridiculous. Proportions are all wrong.

Clipper bows should be restricted to boats longer than 100', unless they have _very_ low freeboard. Schooners should be longer than 60'.

Mmm, yeah but...... aesthetic rules are not the same as laws of physics. Frankly I think that if you lined up all the boats (one of each design) ever sailed, in order of looks, that your placement of this boat out the whole scrum would not vary from mine by more than about 10%. Maybe 15% max. And it would be way more than halfway up towards the front of the line.

FB- Doug

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

This is about as cool as it gets. Bill Gardens personal boat, designed AND built by him for himself. In his book he describes designing it to make use of a Thunderbird keel he had been given.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/d/pocket-schooner-toadstool/6259684615.html

Toadstool.jpg

Totally idiosyncratic, as it should be. I think it's great, and I hate clipper bows.

Criticizing a Garden boat for having a clipper bow is kinda like bitching because its floating???  We just did the Crisir regatta with Loyd on Toadstool a few weeks ago had great time.  She is a little small for him and the missus, think they are after something between it and Suva.  He is a serious WB addict he asked about buying our boat when were hauled in PT this winter.  The last day of the crisir was pretty awesome.  Beautiful weather and a run down LopezSound to Watmo.  Martha was the biggest boat then us or Sir Issac Copernicus another sleeper Garden schooner and down the line to Toadstool.  Everyone was going pretty conservative, lots of sail training family fun etc.  During the course of the day everyone was in front at one point.  We were scooting along at a good clip and the fleet was shooting out around the north end of Rim through Lopez pass with the Ebb Martha in the lead followed by Loyd, Copernicus just shot through the cut depth be damned.  My wife was not comfortable doing the dogleg around the top so we went for the main passage south into the tide and lost the wind.  Was a little bummed until we creeped outside to see that the entire fleet had jumped out into the same hole as Martha and were sitting there flapping.  We hugged the rocks and sailed right by.

I think it would be hard to beat for a PNW weekend fun boat.   

17 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I think the clipper bow on Toadstool looks like it came off a bigger boat. It looks wrong to my eye.

I think Garden was drawing on the kind of extreme clipper bow on Skipjacks and Bugeyes.

On 2017-8-31 at 11:18 PM, Presuming Ed said:

Agreed. The Ed is right. Clipper bows and absurd bowsprits (either as wide as they are long or just overlength, and especially on Bermudan boats) are just plain wrong. Although the Garden is pretty, albeit in a rather camp way . . .

Garden was just having fun, pushing proportions to silly extremes. He was very good at it. I doubt he had any traditional model in mind. He didn't care much about performance.  I can't think of one Garden boat that ever won a major PNW race.  He was about the look of the boat  and at that he was a genius.

The conversation is kinda silly as there is no reason for a clipper bow or stern overhang other than asthetics or sticking to turn of the century race rules,  it works for you or not.  There is a new benatoad on the dock we are on with the hard chine that looks like a blown up T bird for a weee bit more $$ but that's just my ridiculously opinionated opinion...