More trailerable CATs

Captainjp

It would be noice to see more Production of Tralerable catamarans , big enough to sleep on and take anywhere. I wish i had the place, money, time! What would be your ideal catamaran ? what would you want to see in production?

The Macgregor 36 could be an idea worth an update. I think the setup time is a bit too long though. If something like it could be on the water in 45 minutes there might be a market. It's pretty damned big for trying to store somewhere though.

I like a lot of the Micromultihull rule inspired boats that came out back in the day. Most were trailerable some not. A few examples that you can get here in the US:

Firebird. Probably the quickest one ever and supposedly you can still buy one from a company in Boston

Rackham 26. I'm not sure if this is trailerable but I've seen recent reviews of it in the US boat rags so evidently there's a dealer here now but I can't find info on who sells it here. The pics show a bridgedeck house but the originals in France were just 3 beams so maybe you can get it that way...

Then there's always the decent number of Reynolds and Stilettos ( I reckon you can find more of the latter) hanging around. The Raider mentioned above is trailerable but it is pretty sporty.

There's also the G32 which despite the length and cabin is trailerable since it's narrow but I've heard you need to pry the tillers from their owners' cold dead hands.

I like the Virus V8, maybe a bit tame for the hardcore but would make for a decent camp cruiser in the old micromultihull mold. I also liked the CoolCat 26 from Cornish Crabbers of all people. Neat little boat, saw one in France I don't think it's trailerable and it didn't really fit in with the typical Cornish Crabber offering so it never took off.

Richard Woods has some "folders" that are quite interesting. Central bridge deck cabin, special trailer that raises the cabin and the amas fold underneath. A tall package on a trailer, but quite interesting. I could see how a 27 footer would be a nice little cruising package.

Seems all you'd really need to do is bring back the Stiletto or G-32. I don't think there's any point in changing anything with those boats other than maybe some new graphics and a few tweaks to the rig/launch process. Cat2Fold is another great idea but cost too much to bring to market.

I like a lot of the Micromultihull rule inspired boats that came out back in the day. Most were trailerable some not. A few examples that you can get here in the US:

Firebird. Probably the quickest one ever and supposedly you can still buy one from a company in Boston

Rackham 26. I'm not sure if this is trailerable but I've seen recent reviews of it in the US boat rags so evidently there's a dealer here now but I can't find info on who sells it here. The pics show a bridgedeck house but the originals in France were just 3 beams so maybe you can get it that way...

Then there's always the decent number of Reynolds and Stilettos ( I reckon you can find more of the latter) hanging around. The Raider mentioned above is trailerable but it is pretty sporty.

There's also the G32 which despite the length and cabin is trailerable since it's narrow but I've heard you need to pry the tillers from their owners' cold dead hands.

I like the Virus V8, maybe a bit tame for the hardcore but would make for a decent camp cruiser in the old micromultihull mold. I also liked the CoolCat 26 from Cornish Crabbers of all people. Neat little boat, saw one in France I don't think it's trailerable and it didn't really fit in with the typical Cornish Crabber offering so it never took off.

G-32s are hard to buy... I was really lucky. I will never sell that boat... ever...

I did hear of an owner that was thinking about selling... and that is usually how it works.. They sell before they are advertized.

I think that boat was decades ahead of it's time. Trailer launched and sailing in less than 20 minutes. It's the ultimate trailer sailor.

It's a shame the molds have been destroyed.

I've had a hand in two trailerable cats in the size range... Both at 21' LOA

The Gato Especial

Gato-Esp-aft-obl-w-s.jpg

Gato-Esp-bow-obl-w-m.jpggato.jpg

The Neo, open bridgedeck, sliding beam, 12' wide coastal cruiser

22846.jpg

I wouldn't pick a cat at all, but a little larger version of the Weta.

I designed this boat, the 18' LOA Collage, for homebuilders, as an answer to that nagging question that was seeming to pop-up with more than a bit of regularity.

29774d1236130959t-new-bigger-skiff-trimaran-18-loa-collage-bow-obl-5x7.jpg

It would be noice to see more Production of Tralerable catamarans , big enough to sleep on and take anywhere.

That's probaly because a catamaran doesn't fit that profile as well as a tri

I wouldn't pick a cat at all, but a little larger version of the Weta.

I designed this boat, the 18' LOA Collage, for homebuilders, as an answer to that nagging question that was seeming to pop-up with more than a bit of regularity.

29774d1236130959t-new-bigger-skiff-trimaran-18-loa-collage-bow-obl-5x7.jpg

Very nice indeed! That is about what I have in mind as a re-make of my F16. Now, will it fit in a box like the Ninja Spider?

http://www.sail-the-difference.com/home/english/the_features_of_the_easy_to_use_smg_catamaran/ninja/

Trimarans & Cats are very similar , i am still amazed by the H18 i sail a Reynolds21! This year i will have New Sails, but in 6knots of air the H18 is very hard to beat! I know once it gets up to 15 and higher the H18 will not catch me! now with new sails i have no idea what this is going to do to my Reynolds? I am just saying for a Family of 4 and a Guy or Women that is into speed and Safety without flipping, and not Lead weight, a Trimaran or a Cat that is easily movable would be awesome to have, just the market has NO choices out there for a Decent price that wont Bankcrupt the average JOE!

Trimarans & Cats are very similar , i am still amazed by the H18 i sail a Reynolds21! This year i will have New Sails, but in 6knots of air the H18 is very hard to beat! I know once it gets up to 15 and higher the H18 will not catch me! now with new sails i have no idea what this is going to do to my Reynolds? I am just saying for a Family of 4 and a Guy or Women that is into speed and Safety without flipping, and not Lead weight, a Trimaran or a Cat that is easily movable would be awesome to have, just the market has NO choices out there for a Decent price that wont Bankcrupt the average JOE!

You can buy some pretty nice used Corsair 24's and some early Corsair Sprint 750's from the low 30's to the mid 40's and with a decent 10 year or 15 year boat finance package, the monthly note is very reasonable and the boats can be towed with a minivan. These boats would seem to fit your requirements best.

Very nice indeed! That is about what I have in mind as a re-make of my F16. Now, will it fit in a box like the Ninja Spider?

http://www.sail-the-...atamaran/ninja/

Pete,

The Ninja is a very slender, trad tri type of vaka hull design that adapts quite easily to the smallish volume box you suggest. Boats like the Weta and my Montage/Collage use vaka hulls that are more based on dinghy style, wider hull shapes. The wide hull variant will fit into a box, of course, but it doesn't wind-up as skinny as a trad tri shaped hull. It will, however, go together a whole lot faster than will the Ninja, as all the major parts are designed as quick fit components. It's the age old reality in boat design that you give some to get some. You just have to figure out what you're willing to give for the boating style you want.

Although the G32 is "older" , my boat is still fast and fun without any hidden vices. Jan Gougeon, was the classic logical speed demon. Look at the Promo video, look at the lack of a wake. When your only tool is a hammer, pretty soon every thing starts looking like a nail. These boats are about speed through finesse, not brute power. Facts; I tow it with my Honda Element,launch her alone in 15 minutes, no stress cracks after 15 years, She has won major races, and is a dry ride. If you have an open mind, her charms just seem to grow. On top of all this She looks like a Buck Rodgers space ship, Beyond Cool.

Although the G32 is "older" , my boat is still fast and fun without any hidden vices. Jan Gougeon, was the classic logical speed demon. Look at the Promo video, look at the lack of a wake. When your only tool is a hammer, pretty soon every thing starts looking like a nail. These boats are about speed through finesse, not brute power. Facts; I tow it with my Honda Element,launch her alone in 15 minutes, no stress cracks after 15 years, She has won major races, and is a dry ride. If you have an open mind, her charms just seem to grow. On top of all this She looks like a Buck Rodgers space ship, Beyond Cool.

So sell it to me already! Oh yeah, it's not for sale.

Reading the story on the Gougeon web site, they were trying to hit a target of under $10/lb and just missed. So how much does your boat weigh? I'm guessing 1200-1500 lb all in. Take that cost at 35% GPM and add distribution costs you're back up to $30,000 and I guess back then (early 90s) that looked like a target the market couldn't possibly support. That and they closed the wind turbine business they were building in the same factory, Now look at the wind business. I bet they could do it today.

1200 lbs. for G32 epoxy/klegecell. The structure is brilliant. The G bros. lost money on each boat, She was all first rate. As a recovering boatbuilder I cannot improve her. I have been approached by several people to sell. Please give me your contact info. You will go on the list. The first "buyer" who restores airplanes told me that is how he gets planes. He finds a gem, introduces himself and waits. My G32 sat in storage for years. Things change,I was ready with cash. Most of Her sisterships are in Mich. with the original owners Jan, and Mead, still have theirs.

1200 lbs. for G32 epoxy/klegecell. The structure is brilliant. The G bros. lost money on each boat, She was all first rate. As a recovering boatbuilder I cannot improve her. I have been approached by several people to sell. Please give me your contact info. You will go on the list. The first "buyer" who restores airplanes told me that is how he gets planes. He finds a gem, introduces himself and waits. My G32 sat in storage for years. Things change,I was ready with cash. Most of Her sisterships are in Mich. with the original owners Jan, and Mead, still have theirs.

Meade sold Janet C to me two years ago. The boat never was advertized as for sale. I was lucky, and I will never sell. Even if I buy an XS35 later on, I'll still keep the G32. The boat is perfect.

Have a look at len Surtees folding beam 30 footer. According to his website he is resuming his round Oz circumnavigation.

http://www.surteesmultihulls.com/

http://www.surteesmu...e-catamaran.php

I like the idea of this. I can see a carbon version with curved dagger boards in the hulls, a traveler, roatating spar, and the cockpit linked to the floats with a tramp. Might be a nice alternative to a F31. Less room (still quite livable), but faster. Hmmmm? Now for the cash. Crap. ; (

• 2 weeks later...

This is my take on the conundrum of a trailable cat. Project has only been underway for, oh, about 16 years! Front beam, rear deck panels detach and hulls fold forward reducing beam from 5.5 m to road legal 2.5 m.

Rig is a freestanding wing mast similar but a little more advanced than "Freewing" concept ( and incidently predates it, so Not a copy) Completion is a moveable feast, but hopefully in the southern spring.

more pix available if anyone interested, files a bit big to post on this reply.post-18416-0-13355600-1364370072_thumb.jpg

Folded.post-18416-0-62234000-1364371139_thumb.jpg

Good on you for trying something different. Some Qs; Whats the overall length? How much room is in the pod? Target weight? sail area? How will you raise the freestanding mast?

FYI Bernd Kohler used to offer plans for a similar looking type boat (but does no longer).

http://web.archive.org/web/20071219214602/http://www.ikarus342000.com/KD800page.htm

Thanks for the interest Jamez. proposed sail areas are midrange conservative (not getting any younger, more agile or braver! ) Main : 27.2 sq.m. Self Tack working Jib: 9.5 sq.m., In this setup the wing mast area really has to be counted as sail area on all points of sail, so add another 4.0 sqm. The mast has an average chord of 500mm !. Total working sail is therefore just over 40 sq.m. Should be enough...

Length: 8.2 m. OA beam 5.5 m. Target weight was 990Kg, but I suspect will end up closer to 1150kg. with all gear. Construction is strip balsa Duracore, Glass, with some Kevlar and Carbon. Epoxy, of course.

The pod is not huge, to keep the proportions sensible, but does have a 1.9m wide double Vberth forward and sitting headroom for a couple of average sized bods aft. There are two drop-in deck panels in the way of the aft cockpit which provide a full hard deck walk space from one hull cockpit to the other, and provides a 1.5X5.0 m. floor for a boom tent. Head is in the port hull, possible single berths in hulls as well.

Mast raising was a bit of an engineering challenge, but i think we have it licked. The fore and aft rigid boom is permanently fixed to the pod, rotating on the outside of a bearing tube, while the mast rotates insidethe same tube. We have designed a removable hinged tabernacle that plugs into the boom body that controls the raising, then lowering of the mast. Should work OK, everything else has, so far.......

Hi Eightball ! Do you have some pictures showing the pod arrangement ? What about the structure of the SS tubes ? How did you fix them in the floats ?

Thanks

G'Day Francois!

I will try to get a few more pictures up over the next few days - I have quite a few, but they are not too well organised!

By the "SS tubes", I presume you mean the connecting swing arms from the pod to the hulls. Actually they are aluminium.

I fabricated them from large section spreader extrusion welded to custom made alloy castings which were then machined to take 16mm high tensile ball joints on the inner ends and a SS tube axle on the hull end which pivots another casting bolted to internal bulkheads. If I did it again, I would try for a carbon structure along the lines of race car suspension A-arms, and save a large amount of weight. The current arms are about 11Kg each - way too heavy. I was very pleased(and relieved!) at how easily the hulls swing inward- a push with two fingers!

It is awkward to launch the boat in folded configuration, a la Farrier, but not impossible. The pod carries most of the weight on the trailer, on 20 rollers. The hulls are supported on removable cradles after folding.

The design was never intended to be commercially viable, it was very much a personal challenge project just for the satisfaction of trying something a little different.

Being in the development engineering profession certainly helped when I decided to go ahead with the project, but it is still scary when it is my own money funding it.....

I just came back from a short trip to Sarasota Florida. While there I managed to meet up with Chris Wormwood, brother and racing partner to Uber Catamaran Designer Peter Wormwood of Stiletto 23, Stiletto 27GT and Stiletto 30 fame. I managed to get on both his personal S-27 rocketship "Deuce Coupe as well as his wife's Also awesome S-27. These boats are fully trailerable, light, stiff, and even though built a cople of decades ago, very modern with honeycomb cored pre-preg autoclaved hulls. The good news is they want to sell one of them. If interested you can track them down at

http://stiletto.wildjibe.com/

And before you ask, I get no commision. Just spreading the word. The Stiletto 27 is an awesome boat. Fast Powerful lightweight easy to rig/derig and trailer down the highway. I set mine up in under 45 minutes with two of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a boat that may be available in kit form in the near future:

http://proafile.com/archive/article/298

It isn't exactly what AdventureTri was looking for in the Crowd Sourced, Crowd Funded thread, but for me personally, it would make a nice, inexpensive Santa Barbara Channel crosser and Channel Islands cruiser.

• 3 weeks later...

It isn't exactly what AdventureTri was looking for in the Crowd Sourced, Crowd Funded thread, but for me personally, it would make a nice, inexpensive Santa Barbara Channel crosser and Channel Islands cruiser.

This is very nice.

That is a nice boat.

However, it looks like a 2011 article. Anything newer?

my only thought about the boat is that it seems to have pretty fine ends, which can lead to a bit of hobby horsing. I like the idea of a wharram, but my wife would be barfing her guts out in any chop whatsoever. Anything we will look at needs to have fuller ends.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect it won't be for sale for very long. It's an exceptional boat. Easy to launch, Can be sailed to it's rating single handed, exceptionally fast, room for a queen sized bed in the doghouse, very dry, comfortable ride.. I hope this boat ends up on the great lakes!

There is a Gougeon G32 currently available in the mid-west.

PM Sent

Good call, Lum. That might be a good boat for you.

What is a trailerable boat?

Do you have 1 - 2 hours on a busy weekend with friends and family standing around only to go out sailing for a couple of hours and then do it all over again in reverse?

My experience at Corsair/Farrier Nationals and other events enabled me to witness the assembly/takedown of a number of cats and tris. With my grown sons, a lot of experience and a really disciplined approach we got our F boat down to 30 - 45 minutes. This is simply not an option for most people. Unless you attend regattas and learn from others the chances are that you will never get it.

Claims made by manufacturers are not realistic. This in not an opinion just a simple observation

There are many reasons we traded our F boat addiction but having owned my G32 for 10 years I can tell you there is nothing even close. In 6 foot seas the cockpit is dry and the wave piecing hulls smooth out the ride and keep the momentum up even in the worst Great Lakes chop. Best of all you NEVER have to leave the cockpit.

As Rapscallion said "Trailer launched and sailing in less than 20 minutes. It's the ultimate trailer sailor". That sums up my experience too.

my only thought about the boat is that it seems to have pretty fine ends, which can lead to a bit of hobby horsing. I like the idea of a wharram, but my wife would be barfing her guts out in any chop whatsoever. Anything we will look at needs to have fuller ends.

Wharrams have a lot of rocker in the hull shape. The G32 has very little rocker, and with the wave piercing bows, it has a smooth ride; even in Chop. My wife gets seasick easily too, and she can sail on the G32 comfortably.

What hull number is for sale John? When does the Ad go up? I know at least 2 people who are interested. I'm working on rerunning the spinnaker and drifter sheets like you did.

#4 of 14.

Other than cabin window style there was no significant difference between any of them. The exception being #s 1&2. #1 was the prototype - much lighter and a lot of refinement missing. #2 pre-production and painted instead of gelcoat.

My wife is the same way. The only way she could tolerate the F boat was out on high side tramp. In light air and Great lakes chop this was a recipe for disaster, Now she never misses a chance to go sailing.

I keep hearing about Greg's wild card being lighter. GB is an exceptional sailor...a difficult combination to beat - I won't be giving him anything to worry about for the time being. I hope to convince him to race the Queens cup with me. What sails come with the boat? I just bought a couple of light air screechers, hopefully I try them out this weekend.

I'd love to see pics of the boat!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived