blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:
3 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

That's like trying to sell pieces of old Barbie and Ken and GI Joe dolls as a "doll project!"

An old daysailor hull, an oversized mast for the hull, a couple of outriggers and two pieces of mild steel pipe.  This may have been a 12-year-old's broken dream.

And a big-ass bow pulpit. GOt to work that into it some how. That pipe looks very rusty, maybe that can be described as "organic non-skid" to make it more salable? What percent complete is this project?

FB- Doug

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

And a big-ass bow pulpit. GOt to work that into it some how. That pipe looks very rusty, maybe that can be described as "organic non-skid" to make it more salable? What percent complete is this project?

FB- Doug

About -30%.

On 7/9/2019 at 7:34 AM, leuk said:

In the "saling old rotting ruined yacht, neglected and over priced, evidently" (abbreviated as SORRYNOPE)

That really should have been the thread title. Maybe we should start over?

• Like 2

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/port-alberni/sail-boat/1444058705?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Description

TLC every material is unbort many tools too cabins 2 hates dingi radar GPS engine Volkswagen Rabbit new cockpit's enclosed

I see why the spelling is off...a chimney beside the helm. Keeps the tubes in the radar display warm.

Screenshot_2019-07-14 Sail boat Sailboats Port Alberni Kijiji.png

Why does it hate the dingi radar?

22 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Why does it hate the dingi radar?

Buttons get too hot? I have a microwave that old...most confusing keypad ever.

Not really a mock - just another sad one.  Forty year old unfinished project with unrealistic price.  Maybe we need a separate thread and new acronym for these...

00K0K_8KrZaPtxqyO_600x450.jpg

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/d/canby-35-sailboat/6933558652.html

I didn't realize that steel hull with aluminum house was a thing...   What could go wrong?  

33 minutes ago, toddster said:

Not really a mock - just another sad one.  Forty year old unfinished project with unrealistic price.  Maybe we need a separate thread and new acronym for these...

I didn't realize that steel hull with aluminum house was a thing...   What could go wrong?  

A touch of galvanic corrosion. However, it looks a lot better than many pictured on this post. 

2 hours ago, toddster said:

Think of the saving in sacrificial anodes, tho. The whole upper structure of the boat is one big zinc!

8 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/port-alberni/sail-boat/1444058705?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Description

TLC every material is unbort many tools too cabins 2 hates dingi radar GPS engine Volkswagen Rabbit new cockpit's enclosed

Can we get Snaggs to translate this?  2 hats?

5 hours ago, toddster said:

Nothing if the bond joint was done properly, it's a reasonable thing to do.

I don't think he needs to worry about parting with his unfinished baby at that price, though. Even $10K would be pushing it given the amount of boats that actually float out there.

FKT

• Like 2

6 hours ago, toddster said:

It's a thing. Proper practice is to bolt the house to the deck with isolation between - rubber or something.

It's a Glen-L design so pretty crappy - back of Popular Mechanics kind of thing.

26 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It's a thing. Proper practice is to bolt the house to the deck with isolation between - rubber or something.

It's a Glen-L design so pretty crappy - back of Popular Mechanics kind of thing.

The US Navy put aluminum superstructures on some of their ships. Some of them didn't work out too well

USS_Belknap_collision_damage.jpg

Of course, banging it into an aircraft carrier didn't help any

FB - Doug

7 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

A touch of galvanic corrosion. However, it looks a lot better than many pictured on this post. 

Remember......skin deep beauty.........remember.

21 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Description

I see why the spelling is off...a chimney beside the helm. Keeps the tubes in the radar display warm.

Screenshot_2019-07-14 Sail boat Sailboats Port Alberni Kijiji.png

Industrial incense burner, for hard to center chakras at the helm.

- Stumbling

• Like 3

Mocking Carports on Craigslist? Owner must have worked in a car dealership to install that many lights. Kelowna is now visible from the space station. https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/bod/d/kelowna-2014-glastron-gs-259-sun-bridge/6934195437.html

00w0w_bG60bVh8nkj_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Mocking Carports on Craigslist? Owner must have worked in a car dealership to install that many lights. Kelowna is now visible from the space station. https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/bod/d/kelowna-2014-glastron-gs-259-sun-bridge/6934195437.html

00w0w_bG60bVh8nkj_600x450.jpg

Damn stylish outdoor paint booth!

Here's a indoor one:

elegant-paint-booth-lights-leave-auto-bo

- Stumbling

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Kind of reminds me of a Morgan Out Island that was left in the dryer too long.

I am intrigued with the "head with a porto pot."   Is is a classic pot, and how porto is it?

- Stumbling

" I lived on this boat for many yrs and have lovingly owned her for over 35 yrs . Must go to a good home. My children grew up with this boat and I know it helped them become the successful people they have become ."

Some apologetic comment that underlies the stigma of Bayliner. The kids grew up with boat envy and swore they would be successful enough to buy something swank.

There are 3 of those ugly ducklings up here, unfortunately all still floating...I should get a pic for the zombie thread tonight.

that owner is competing with give away prices to sell his pride and joy. These boats remind me of those old station wagons that had the extra glazing above the rear window, like some buses of the time.

Bite your tongue Horse - those old Vista Cruisers were cool.

Bucc's never were.

FWIW the recycler in Lynden has and is cutting them up at a good clip. I hope a few get saved for posterity.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Bite your tongue Horse - those old Vista Cruisers were cool.

Bucc's never were.

FWIW the recycler in Lynden has and is cutting them up at a good clip. I hope a few get saved for posterity.

Even the kids on The 70's Show mock dad's car. They do have a cult following for that model. I saw one listed FS over 10k.

Okay, this...

The way buses should be.

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Even the kids on The 70's Show mock dad's car. They do have a cult following for that model. I saw one listed FS over 10k.

Okay, this...

First thing I thoght of was this:

2 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Okay, this...

Hope the air conditioning unit has been serviced.  

I remember when they were new and they were being sold out of a showroom at 2nd and Fir - like cars.

They were at their ugliest in that environment. Sure made them look big though - maybe that was the idea.

THe “barrel drums” just really make it for me.  How people dream up this crap is beyond me.  

13 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Okay, this...

Why just stack when you can go big,... and nuclear:

The_Big_Bus2.jpg

- Stumbling

That was a funny movie - Ruth Gordon - "looks like someone kicked him in the nuts"

image.png.2658fcf1d9205f7dbacb6d0dc77751ee.png

For all the super cool dudes here's a super cool dudes fishing boat!! Only $5000 to buy it now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/tactical-cat-XFG/401813706077?hash=item5d8df6955d:g:pjwAAOSwVZBdJLD-

Dig that spoiler man, it must add 10 knots all by itself! With steeling wheel to turn the motor, a mint sink to wash your hands and... and I can't reformulate the ad into something better than it already is so here's the ad copy:

up  for  sale  is my  custom     fishing  boat  this  boat  is all  custom  build  by   global   in syracuse  ,ny    boat  has  a miltary  look     useing   2  kayak   green   boat  is  8x10 long    tube  framing   is  alm   steel  pvc    this   custom    fishing  boat  can be  use  any where in the  world   weight  is 175 lbs  three  man  boat  install new  is  the  front  seat  off  the front  of  frame!    steeling  wheel  will   turn   the  ele  12v  motor  or  gas  you can  only  put up  to  a 3.5 hp  out  boad motor  on the boat.......  comes  with  all   gear  fishing  rod  holders   all over   off  the  back  rite  side is  a  mint  sink  to  wash  your hands    comes  with a  12v   batter    water   plumb  is  30  psi   siin  plumb  will take   water  from the lake  to  flow  easy     .......     back  of  boat is  a large  wing you  can   see in the  photos  looks  so  cool     this  boat  dose  has  cargo    rack   with     stronge  boxs   with a  cd  play  radio      solar  planels  of  back   rite  ammo   box   on left  side  for  gear.......       you can  pull     boat my hand  or  with  a  mountain   bike    or  three  wheel   nece  and easy!!!   you can lunch this  cool boat from   any  where  road  or  high  way  for  free if  you  don't like  to  pay.........    this one of  a kind   fishing  boat  the only one  in the world  .....   custom  build  by me    and i  will build  to  order   takes  a  few  weeks....   this  boat been all  over the  world  in 2018  2019      comes  with  all  gear   pads  ect!!!     highes  bidder gets  this  super cool  boat.... i'm on to build  other  cool   boats  like this.......    any other  Q  hit me  up....   if  you buy   this  boat you have  to pick it up  in syracuse,ny   13203     no  shiping   pick  up  only    weight  is 175  to  200 lbs 

fucking mess.jpg

fucking mess2.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oldfurr said:

For all the super cool dudes here's a super cool dudes fishing boat!! Only $5000 to buy it now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/tactical-cat-XFG/401813706077?hash=item5d8df6955d:g:pjwAAOSwVZBdJLD-

Dig that spoiler man, it must add 10 knots all by itself! With steeling wheel to turn the motor, a mint sink to wash your hands and... and I can't reformulate the ad into something better than it already is so here's the ad copy:

up  for  sale  is my  custom     fishing  boat  this  boat  is all  custom  build  by   global   in syracuse  ,ny    boat  has  a miltary  look     useing   2  kayak   green   boat  is  8x10 long    tube  framing   is  alm   steel  pvc    this   custom    fishing  boat  can be  use  any where in the  world   weight  is 175 lbs  three  man  boat  install new  is  the  front  seat  off  the front  of  frame!    steeling  wheel  will   turn   the  ele  12v  motor  or  gas  you can  only  put up  to  a 3.5 hp  out  boad motor  on the boat.......  comes  with  all   gear  fishing  rod  holders   all over   off  the  back  rite  side is  a  mint  sink  to  wash  your hands    comes  with a  12v   batter    water   plumb  is  30  psi   siin  plumb  will take   water  from the lake  to  flow  easy     .......     back  of  boat is  a large  wing you  can   see in the  photos  looks  so  cool     this  boat  dose  has  cargo    rack   with     stronge  boxs   with a  cd  play  radio      solar  planels  of  back   rite  ammo   box   on left  side  for  gear.......       you can  pull     boat my hand  or  with  a  mountain   bike    or  three  wheel   nece  and easy!!!   you can lunch this  cool boat from   any  where  road  or  high  way  for  free if  you  don't like  to  pay.........    this one of  a kind   fishing  boat  the only one  in the world  .....   custom  build  by me    and i  will build  to  order   takes  a  few  weeks....   this  boat been all  over the  world  in 2018  2019      comes  with  all  gear   pads  ect!!!     highes  bidder gets  this  super cool  boat.... i'm on to build  other  cool   boats  like this.......    any other  Q  hit me  up....   if  you buy   this  boat you have  to pick it up  in syracuse,ny   13203     no  shiping   pick  up  only    weight  is 175  to  200 lbs 

fucking mess.jpg

fucking mess2.jpg

6 hours ago, oldfurr said:

This guy better save some pussy for the rest of us mere mortals.

Have you noticed that whenever someone is selling junk, they always, always refer to it as “cool”

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

Have you noticed that whenever someone is selling junk, they always, always refer to it as “cool”

Or "Vintage"? Sheesh.

11 hours ago, oldfurr said:

fucking mess.jpg

fucking mess2.jpg

The prose, the prose....

The "water  from the lake"  does not  "flow  easy" enough, to wash that from my eyes.

At first glance, I thought it was some goofy all terrain vehicle he was selling.   After deciphering, it is just a pile of junk from someone who learned to bend pipe and build a minor monstrosity to foist upon select gullible and weak minded members of the masses....

Also, how hard was it for the author to fight spellcheck the whole time they put that "ad" together?

- Stumbling

7 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Also, how hard was it for the author to fight spellcheck the whole time they put that "ad" together?

- Stumbling

Maybe it's like some of the online scams where they want to weed out all but the near terminally stupid who are not deterred by mis-spellings, requests for banking info and crazy claims?

It is like his tackle box grew into a boat. See what this sport does to a man?

There is no known cure for Vernacular Tacklebox Syndrome, not even matrimony.

log-camper-rv.jpg

36 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

I'm guessing he's colour blind so spellcheck isn't very noticeable to him.

4 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

log-camper-rv.jpg

I could see that - as long as they also have one of these.

image.png.7ce6bb2dce14381fc0f31ccfe4df86a9.png

1 hour ago, Santana20AE said:

1 hour ago, woahboy said:

Or "Vintage"? Sheesh.

What???  You dont like cool vintage junk?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

There is no known cure for Vernacular Tacklebox Syndrome, not even matrimony.

log-camper-rv.jpg

The Flintstones have filed a missing vehicle report for their trailer.    Better report that you found evidence of it!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

It is like his tackle box grew into a boat. See what this sport does to a man?

Or was it that his boat devolved into an open tackle box?

- Stumbling

9 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

The Flintstones have filed a missing vehicle report for their trailer.    Better report that you found evidence of it!

- Stumbling

Actually, the Flintstone's camper was ferro-cement:

Ferro_camper.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Actually, the Flintstone's camper was ferro-cement:

Ferro_camper.jpg

That was the first one.   Fred had brought some product home from work to make the trailer and then later was caught and had to return it because it was made from unmarked rock that did not have a granite serial number!

- Stumbling

Reminds me of the eco car episode from the guys that like to trash caravaners.

• Like 1

00V0V_59vYY4yVYQD_1200x900.jpg

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/d/portland-columbia-29-sailboat-1500-obo/6936559913.html

"Columbia 29 is tied to a tree on the east side of Ross Island. It’s on the water it floats. I’d you find it send me a pic so I can assure it’s mine and I’ll tell you all about it..."

Oh wait... he want's you to pay to haul this away?  :wacko:

11 hours ago, toddster said:

00Q0Q_5ObO8JXroLJ_1200x900.jpg

Not sure why all these enormous zombie projects are showing up around here all of a sudden. This one looks like it's in a spooky graveyard.

https://portland.craigslist.org/nco/boa/d/north-bend-60-foot-roberts-sail-boat/6937095485.html

I'm intrigued by the GMC truck.   At first I though it was some prospectors camper, but upon closer inspection, it has a number of base loaded antenna and an exhaust with a muffler up on the left top edge of the box on the back.   Prepper escape vehicle, Area 51 observatory, industrial pizza truck?   Who knows...

- Stumbling

@stumblingthunder Nah, just a ham operator's "Field Day" vehicle.

I'm intrigued by the possibility of an expeditionary sailing vessel in that aluminum monster.

15 minutes ago, Ajax said:

@stumblingthunder Nah, just a ham operator's "Field Day" vehicle.

I'm intrigued by the possibility of an expeditionary sailing vessel in that aluminum monster.

Interesting for a high latitude adventure or two!

- Stumbling

It looks well built so far.

2 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I'm intrigued by the GMC truck.   At first I though it was some prospectors camper, but upon closer inspection, it has a number of base loaded antenna and an exhaust with a muffler up on the left top edge of the box on the back.   Prepper escape vehicle, Area 51 observatory, industrial pizza truck?   Who knows...

- Stumbling

Who is this Roberts designer I see a lot of recently?

2 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I'm intrigued by the GMC truck.  

You're all wrong about that truck.  It drove a circuit between local hog farms and the rendering plant, delivering dead pigs. All work on the boat stopped when that truck got parked.

24 minutes ago, woahboy said:

Bruce Roberts. There are lots of Bruces in the boat design profession. Perhaps we can name some more? Join in. Don't be shy.

54 minutes ago, woahboy said:

BITD when U-Build boats were a big thing he was the king of stock plan designers. He still has a web presence the last I looked.

In the 70's he had a number of pretty nice looking designs - all way obsolete now. Somewhere in the 80's he went way off the rails and started producing really ugly boats - huge poop decks and the like.

The entire industry is pretty much a thing of the past now - why build when you can get a boat for virtually free?

4 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

Probably an old logging crummy.  SOP to re-rout exhaust from off-road work vehicles to avoid starting grass fires.  Although more common here in wheat country. That one is over on the coast.  

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The entire industry is pretty much a thing of the past now - why build when you can get a boat for virtually free?

Because there are still a lot of idiots in the world.....

FKT

On 7/18/2019 at 6:55 PM, toddster said:

00V0V_59vYY4yVYQD_1200x900.jpg

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/d/portland-columbia-29-sailboat-1500-obo/6936559913.html

"Columbia 29 is tied to a tree on the east side of Ross Island. It’s on the water it floats. I’d you find it send me a pic so I can assure it’s mine and I’ll tell you all about it..."

Oh wait... he want's you to pay to haul this away?  :wacko:

Pretty sure the most valuable thing on that boat is the blue tarp in the cockpit.

Here's a hot deal for some East Coaster. Get it at High tide she says...

Screenshot_2019-07-20 30ft cabin cruiser.png

• Like 1

What is it with trees falling boats?* One in Portland, one in Boston... 

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/d/plymouth-west-white-potter-15/6937587194.html

*: Yeah, I know trees grow up big and tall, then they come down. It's kinda the nature of trees, really. What goes up must come down, eventually. But what's with the folk parking their boats under trees? And no, it's not docking or mooring or tying them up, neither. Anyone puts a boat somewhere that a tree's likely to come down on it, they parked it there. Eedgits. 

1 hour ago, The Lucky One said:

What is it with trees falling boats?* One in Portland, one in Boston... 

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/d/plymouth-west-white-potter-15/6937587194.html

*: Yeah, I know trees grow up big and tall, then they come down. It's kinda the nature of trees, really. What goes up must come down, eventually. But what's with the folk parking their boats under trees? And no, it's not docking or mooring or tying them up, neither. Anyone puts a boat somewhere that a tree's likely to come down on it, they parked it there. Eedgits. 

Broken Potter-y

or how to add more shear to the wee West Wight Potter...

00p0p_h5p6KYX1FuN_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

Who wouldn't want a boat with a crowsnest or a full size fireplace? Lovely but...  Someone with deep pockets or a lot of time to see this project through. https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-staysail-schooner/6923858841.html

01515_llTbQrNO5Ag_600x450.jpg

That thing has been around here for a long time. It used to be painted black with "gun ports" painted around the hull ports.

It was painfully slow - I could have literally sailed circles around it in my Quarter Pounder.

The ad text is....concerning. Why the sudden rant about trespassing? I know when I'm prepared to make a serious offer on a major piece of equipment I usually like to sneak in and have a look on my own.

10 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Who wouldn't want a boat with a crowsnest or a full size fireplace? Lovely but...  Someone with deep pockets or a lot of time to see this project through. https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-staysail-schooner/6923858841.html

01515_llTbQrNO5Ag_600x450.jpg

Another 85%er.   Probably closer to 50%.

- Stumbling

On 7/17/2019 at 6:36 AM, oldfurr said:

fucking mess.jpg

fucking mess2.jpg

Somehow one would think that if Batman was to sell his hardware, he'd be part of the non-mocking topic. But his standards have taken a hit, it seems.

000367917_illustration_large.jpg

3 hours ago, leuk said:

Somehow one would think that if Batman was to sell his hardware, he'd be part of the non-mocking topic. But his standards have taken a hit, it seems.

000367917_illustration_large.jpg

I miss this one
Image result for batmobile

The Penguin doesn't work in the rain?   

28 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I find that ad offensive.

Why oh why, must people butcher sailboats for these sorts of experiments? Surely there are countless cuddy cabin cruisers with dead engines that he could have chosen?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Why oh why, must people butcher sailboats for these sorts of experiments? Surely there are countless cuddy cabin cruisers with dead engines that he could have chosen?

More than likely because sailboat’s displacement hulls are so much easier to drive with minimum power.  Same reason so many loopers recommend doing the loop on a sailboat with the mast lowered.  Same route, roughly same speed, 1/4 the diesel used.  Of course, many loopers must be flush with cash because they love ploughing through the waterways in their trawlers at close to planning speed.  (Or to say, well above hull speed but never on a plane cause they can’t) 

What the world (doesn't really) need is an app to connect the 85% complete trimaran projects like that one that they were fundraising for to get the boat out of the garden of the guy who died in the wall collapse accident, and connect them with people with dubious experimental boat projects. Trimarans would seem particularly well suited for solar boats with the large surface area. 

Speaking of which I'd love to get an update on the giant party trimaran those Brisbane guys motored across the pacific. Now there was a good re-purposing...

12 hours ago, leuk said:

Vintage fan, are we? Lucky you, look what I found for you!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-surrey-28985682

There was a bat boat parked on a trailer out on the western end of Gandy Causeway (Pinellas Park side) for 15 years back in the 1970s.   As a kid, it was a highlight to see it as I passed in the backseat of my parents car whenever we transited that bridge to go to the beach!   I wish I had taken a picture of it at some point while it was there.

- Stumbling

20 hours ago, Ajax said:

I don't think this one got a proper mocking. There's a lot to take in here

Free Boat (Essex) hide this posting

00M0M_k0kdxQCdUJE_600x450.jpg

9 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

There was a bat boat parked on a trailer out on the western end of Gandy Causeway (Pinellas Park side) for 15 years back in the 1970s.   As a kid, it was a highlight to see it as I passed in the backseat of my parents car whenever we transited that bridge to go to the beach!   I wish I had taken a picture of it at some point while it was there.

- Stumbling

There has been a mockable Frankensteinian creation parked for years next to an I5 cloverleaf on-ramp.  I've never (so far) tried to take a photo because I'm not sure that I can, without causing a 20-car pile-up.  

4 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

I don't think this one got a proper mocking. There's a lot to take in here

I'll play. 

Is there a more inefficient way to transfer mechanical energy (a rotating shaft) to propulsion than a stern wheel?  Especially one that looks like it is made of two sheets of plywood with some pine boards in between?  

The plastic bag on the electric motor is a nice touch.  

1 hour ago, bugger said:

Especially one that looks like it is made of two sheets of plywood with some pine boards in between?  

And painted pink.  And then there's the junkstore in the trunk...

Here is an idea for a different boat parade - the Frankenboats on Parade. If it could actually complete should be a winner.