Mocking Ads on Craigslist

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Ohey I send you picture...

Posted Images

God damn, you're not satisfied with pointing the finger at the US and saying "You guys are fat."  You're really going to blame another country for your own obesity problem?

I've enjoyed our repartee, but your statement really brings to mind that line from "As Good as it Gets" Skip ahead to :20 to get to the meat of the matter.  The Irish people should hold themselves to account for how they choose to consume US products or whether to trade with the US at all. Good fucking grief.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

I thought it was potatoes that made Irish fet

Or how about the myriad other European, British and Irish snacks and confections that DON'T originate from the U.S.? Fuck, why not blame the Italians for Nutella and those damned Kinder eggs?

The U.S. is flawed, deeply, on many levels and I'll happily own that but this really goes beyond reason and sense.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Ajax said:

God damn, you're not satisfied with pointing the finger at the US and saying "You guys are fat."  You're really going to blame another country for your own obesity problem?

I've enjoyed our repartee, but your statement really brings to mind that line from "As Good as it Gets" Skip ahead to :20 to get to the meat of the matter.  The Irish people should hold themselves to account for how they choose to consume US products or whether to trade with the US at all. Good fucking grief.

The guy in "the Commitments" had it right AFAIAC

19 minutes ago, chester said:

I'll willingly be held accountable for poutine, tim hortons and celine!

I won't - I have nothing to do with any of them.

I never built a bull rail either so fuck all of you!

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

If you eat like the French but without their lifestyle, you will definitely get fat.  :)

If you eat too much you'll get fat.

Period.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

No, I am not blaming America.   Sorry if that came across wrong.

I am blaming Ireland for choosing to adopt the destructive parts of another culture.

We chose to build sprawling suburbs and make ourselves reliant on cars.  We had other models to choose from, but we chose that.

We chose to follow the industrialised food model.

39 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Well, better than Krispy Kreme anyway.

Well if you are looking for comfort food to fill out your waistline try Scotland and the deep fried Mars Bar

At first thought how can the land that gave us such great single malts relish deep fried Mars Bars ....but then I remember Haggis a treat Americans are deprived of as the USDA objects to eating sheeps' lung.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Well if you are looking for comfort food to fill out your waistline try Scotland and the deep fried Mars Bar

At first thought how can the land that gave us such great single malts relish deep fried Mars Bars ....but then I remember Haggis a treat Americans are deprived of as the USDA objects to eating sheeps' lung.

Haggis is actually healthier than you might think.  A large chunk of it is oats and onion, and it is usually served in small quantities with a good dose tatties and neeps.  It's made with suet, so there's a fairly high fat level, but that is offset by the small quantities. 

The deep-fried Mars Bar of course has none of those virtues. 

Haggis gets its rep from people who have never eaten it. It's really just like a big, round, low grade sausage - you know that kind that's full of fillers.

I had a bite of a DF Mars bar at my daughters insistence.

I think she's impatient for her inheritance.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Haggis gets its rep from people who have never eaten it. It's really just like a big, round, low grade sausage - you know that kind that's full of fillers.

Instead of just meat - it's like a turkey stuffing sausage - and therefore delicious. 

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

Haggis is actually healthier than you might think.  A large chunk of it is oats and onion, and it is usually served in small quantities with a good dose tatties and neeps.  It's made with suet, so there's a fairly high fat level, but that is offset by the small quantities. 

The deep-fried Mars Bar of course has none of those virtues. 

I have hundreds of years of haggis built into my genes, and personally more than a few under my belt from too many Robbie Burns dinners and other haggis requisite functions. All the same I’m pleased my Celtic roots might be associated with the likes of Laphroaig or Lagavulin, ... Haggis less so.

Every region has its gastronomic horror stories. I've had nuoc mam, kimchee, tacos de cabeza and menudo but I absolutely drew the line on a trip to Ohio recently when a restaurant tried to dump a can of Dennisons onto a plate of spaghetti and called it chili. Ewwww!

Here we're partial to fish tacos of which I modestly claim to make the world's best. Can't get the rest of my family, who all hail from Colorado, to even try them. 

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

All the same I’m pleased my Celtic roots might be associated with the likes of Laphroaig or Lagavulin, ... Haggis less so.

Haggis is peasant food from a time when all the animal was used for food.   I admire the Scots for the democratic spirit of celebrating the food of the underdog.  Possibly Rabbie Burns's finest achievement

• Like 1

Craigslist people...  try to focus here.

Hey TwoLegged, have you gotten Philadelphia Bacon cheese steaks yet?   Sooo good.

• Like 3

After a really long new year’s celebration in a small village in El Salvador I’m the Bajo Lempa river delta I was treated to the traditional hangover cure: sopa de tres estómagos (3 stomach soup). It featured the entire ruminant digestive track in all its glory, sliced open and fanning out over the sides of the bowl. I got through maybe 1.5 stomachs and simply could not continue. And I think tacos de cabeza are delicious. 

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/columbia-87-sailboat-200/6733856080.html

Never buy a boat that costs less than the fuel and tolls to see it.

Sort of like Taco Bell.  I don't eat a meal that is cheaper than Dog Chow for my Golden Retriever .

Then we have this delusional twit

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/vagabond-14-sailing-boat/6721122293.html

For 1500 cdn you can buy this 53 yr old plus lifeboat to escape the penal colony of Mission and float down the Fraser to freedom.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/d/lifeboat/6733565703.html

00e0e_ltaII6Y3W5B_600x450.jpg

FWIW those hulls are indestructible. There was one that had had an incredible African Queen conversion done to it for sale in Deep Cove a few years ago. Would have been a fabulous boat for day cruising Indian Arm and the harbour.

1 minute ago, See Level said:
19 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

image.png.53caa63e09ca2064ba15748b5917bf8f.png

Wow, you could convert that to scale size Sailing yacht "A"

And this is a Peterson design? I didn't know he designed pirate ship wanna-bees.

00101_4eRtGyNrmp9_1200x900.jpg

But hey, it's got a cool model sailing ship in the cabin. Because that way you have something to look at besides your own boat.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

This one seems to either get ready to take off to Mars, or sink away into the earth. 

image.png.261219bc9fb64012f5f7e0b017353a6b.png

Must be a tad overloaded on the rear end of the trailer...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/27ft-sailboat-and-trailer-for/6732580671.html

A Clipper 26. Another raving beauty from the board of William Crealock.

56 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

A Clipper 26. Another raving beauty from the board of William Crealock.

It's not a Clipper 26 unless the builder did another topsides but I have been rong b4 https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/clipper-marine-26

10 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

I really can’t even guess what this all is, beyond the manifestation of a vagina dentata fixation  

00a0a_aq9TcIyVYCv_1200x900.jpg

Any ideas? 

A toilet seat hanging over a table set for 8 would be my guess. It's self-mocking.

Isn't the yellow boat a MacGregor from back when Roger made sailboats?

Here is a gift suitable for great, great adventurers. It has red lights for ambiance in the salon and the clock for keeping watch.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/atq/d/vintage-tv-lamp-clock/6713233560.html

Christmas is just around the corner...

00808_fBiu6owTT9M_600x450.jpg

22 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

For 1500 cdn you can buy this 53 yr old plus lifeboat to escape the penal colony of Mission and float down the Fraser to freedom.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/d/lifeboat/6733565703.html

00e0e_ltaII6Y3W5B_600x450.jpg

I would hazard a guess, but I think that she is all out of escapes.   Especially from the grave.   This looks like a job for the Zombie thread.

- Stumbling

9 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

I would hazard a guess, but I think that she is all out of escapes.   Especially from the grave.   This looks like a job for the Zombie thread.

- Stumbling

Next spring alder and cedar trees should be starting to grow in it. The decay is not as advanced as Tom's plywood experiment.

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

It has a Clipper bow but has a Newport like cabin side. I think we need the Gouv...

I hard;y ever recall seeing a clipper bow working on anything other than an actual clipper. 

The smaller boat, the harder it is to pull off.  Yet in the 1970s, there were lots of efforts to do clipper bows on small sailboats.  Most of them were disasters.

Why do they have such a siren-like attraction to so many who think they can defy the odds?  

2 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I hard;y ever recall seeing a clipper bow working on anything other than an actual clipper. 

The smaller boat, the harder it is to pull off.  Yet in the 1970s, there were lots of efforts to do clipper bows on small sailboats.  Most of them were disasters.

Why do they have such a siren-like attraction to so many who think they can defy the odds?  

New sailors were attracted to pedestal steering and the wood details found on things like a Bayfield 25.

Bow shapes like a clipper were the same draw. For people who like tacky ship models. There is no accounting for poor taste here.

Putting that on an otherwise sleek Cal or Newport style cabin top design is just a bold clash of styles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayfield_25

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:
2 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

It has a Clipper bow but has a Newport like cabin side. I think we need the Gouv...

The siren call is money, of course. The designer & builder wanted to sell boats..... to people who don't know much about sailing but like the looks of a "clipper bow." And have the money to buy it, of course.

FB- Doug

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

The siren call is money, of course. The designer & builder wanted to sell boats..... to people who don't know much about sailing but like the looks of a "clipper bow." And have the money to buy it, of course.

The old syndrome of "A fool and his money are easily parted".

I still don't like the cynicism of those who sell crap to people who don't know better

13 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I'm guessing the builder did several topsides.

The common theme seems to be "boats to slit your wrists on".  Fifty shades of horror, and when you realise what you've done in buying, off you go to Do The Honourable Thing

4 hours ago, TwoLegged said:
4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I'm guessing the builder did several topsides.

The common theme seems to be "boats to slit your wrists on".  Fifty shades of horror, and when you realise what you've done in buying, off you go to Do The Honourable Thing

Ever seen the Buccaneer 240? I'm NOT going to put a pic here. If you've seen one, you'd be glad I didn't. If you haven't seen one, be glad too! Or if you must experience the horror, google it.

I cannot believe any of these boats were ever sold. People who enjoy being laughed at, maybe?

-DSK

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

The old syndrome of "A fool and his money are easily parted".

I still don't like the cynicism of those who sell crap to people who don't know better

Trying to sell boats, especially new ones, requires unbridled optimism, not cynicism.

One of the lovable things about the guy who owned the dealership where I worked. Some see a half empty glass. Some see half full. He doesn't see a glass. He sees a 55 gallon drum, and it's overflowing. Only someone with that view would try to sell new sailboats.

13 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
19 minutes ago, jgbrown said:

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/73904

Two engines and WTF is going on with those rudders? 

Two rudders and a steering blade for the wind gear by the looks of it.

vOJGC68.png 

It's a sailing version of the Wobblin' Goblin

1200px-McDonnell_XF-85_Goblin_USAF_(Crop

Well, actually the F-85 only had one engine..... sorry

FB- Doug

14 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Who knew Howard Hughes made sailboats? https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/26-foot-Howard-Hughes-Sailboat_32516522

What could possibly go wrong?

78450265_934.jpg

There was one picture with the flue installed, but that one did give pause to question sanity.    The person must have a strong cleanliness streak.   That is the cleanest used wood stove I have every seen.

- Stumbling

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

vOJGC68.png 

The rudders and keel can support the boat. I am not sure this is mockable... I mean I would not be ashamed to own a boat with two (or three) rudders and this is a nice looking boat. I would rather have a single engine on a sailboat, but I am not going to double-guess someone else's preferences in that regard.

On 10/25/2018 at 5:55 PM, kinardly said:

Two Legs, you're judging from your experiences in Ireland, I presume. It's not the same here. When US Postal Service employees were allowed to organize into a union the whole picture changed. They get ridiculous hours, benefits, holidays only public employees take and you can't utter the word "privatize" without your mail being immediately delivered to the nearest dumpster. Apparently that's now one of those hurtful words you have to expunge from your vocabulary.

I once had a co-worker who was so frightened from the physical threats she'd received from one mailwoman for complaining about mail delivered to the wrong mailbox that she refused to call it in and it happened again and again. My residential carrier twice maced my dog for barking at her in spite of the fact that the dog was behind my driveway gate at the time. When I complained, I got no mail for a week, then it all got dumped through my mail slot. 

It used to be you could mail a letter across the country and count on it being delivered in two days. Now, I can't get mail delivered from one end of San Diego County to the other in less than four days. And, yeah, I remember when you could have a conversation with your mailman/woman who delivered to your door but that rarely happens anymore because they insist that any new residential or commercial development has to have those damned, unprotected, outdoor centralized mailbox kiosks that druggies, tweakers and identity thieves have discovered are a gold mine filled with checks, credit cards and bank statements. 

But, I digress (again). Which boat were we mocking? 

I put the frickin' copied url in the "insert image from URL".

Good thing I am not sailing these days if I can't figure this out.  SHIT!

13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

vOJGC68.png 

The center rudder is a Hydrovane self steering  gear seriously good bit of kit.

As for the dual rudders and wing keel Meh. 

On 10/28/2018 at 2:43 AM, Steam Flyer said:

And this is a Peterson design? I didn't know he designed pirate ship wanna-bees.

00101_4eRtGyNrmp9_1200x900.jpg

But hey, it's got a cool model sailing ship in the cabin. Because that way you have something to look at besides your own boat.

FB- Doug

It was mis-identified in the ad.  It was designed by Peter's son, not Peterson.   That explains the design element choices in the boat and his interest in pirate themes.

Also, a charter "sailboat" with a Detroit 671 diesel?  Nothing like a screaming 2-cycle diesel for a relaxing day on the water.  What?  You can't hear me?  I said: Nothing like a screaming 2-cycle diesel for a relaxing day on the water!!

- Stumbling

6 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

It was mis-identified in the ad.  It was designed by Peter's son, not Peterson.   That explains the design element choices in the boat and his interest in pirate themes.

Also, a charter "sailboat" with a Detroit 671 diesel?  Nothing like a screaming 2-cycle diesel for a relaxing day on the water.  What?  You can't hear me?  I said: Nothing like a screaming 2-cycle diesel for a relaxing day on the water!!

- Stumbling

Some folks LOVE their Detroits. Personally I am not fan, for the reasons you illustrate so well, plus they emit a spray of lube oil which generally spreads thru the whole boat.

FB- Doug

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Some folks LOVE their Detroits. Personally I am not fan, for the reasons you illustrate so well, plus they emit a spray of lube oil which generally spreads thru the whole boat.

FB- Doug

For the longest time, it was the way to get the maximum amount of performance out of a diesel, per pound of weight.   4-strokes have long since surpassed power per pound, with much better fuel efficiency and as you indicated, much better cleanliness.

- Stumbling

2 hours ago, BlackieChan said:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/custom-expedition-modular/6734662468.html

I think they just got tangled with another boat and tried to make the most of it

It's an interesting build and seems like they enjoyed it a lot, so not really good mocking material, but...\

One 3/16" allen wrench (included!) allows the lock down or release of the pipe into any of the hull or ama fittings. Careful alignment during the build allows all the pipes (crossbeams) to slide in easily, even when under load, even at sea.

Bragging about the inclusion of an allen wrench is pretty funny and saying that pipes slide easily under load is a fantasy.

My feeling on that construction is that set screws only secure things by corroding in place and do that unreliably. Through-bolts secure things.

1 hour ago, dogballs Tom said:

It's an interesting build and seems like they enjoyed it a lot, so not really good mocking material, but...\

Bragging about the inclusion of an allen wrench is pretty funny and saying that pipes slide easily under load is a fantasy.

My feeling on that construction is that set screws only secure things by corroding in place and do that unreliably. Through-bolts secure things.

I wouldn't trust anything you could tighten with a 5mm allen key to hold more load than a kid's tricycle myself.

FKT

• Like 1
8 hours ago, BlackieChan said:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/custom-expedition-modular/6734662468.html

I think they just got tangled with another boat and tried to make the most of it

A propensity to see double, just decided to make real what is already perceived.

- Stumbling

• Like 3
13 hours ago, 140fulton said:

Sounds like a Shakespearean curse. "Have at you, you self-tailing bollard!"

Alas, the self-tailing bollard has taken one step beyond the devil into the deep blue see.  

Good riddance, Horatio!   Let us speak of this no more and make haste to the next quatrain, so that we may hoist a tankard and wash this poor wretch's visage from our thoughts.

- Stumbling

• Like 2