Mocking Ads on Craigslist

45 minutes ago, jgbrown said:

Loctite and NEW set screws work for me usually.  Second time you tighten them, not so much.  Pain in the butt getting the right sizes but better than nothing if through bolting isn't an option. 

There is an option that works reasonably well if you have sufficient depth of hole.

You put in 2 set screws, one on top of the other. With Loctite on the top one.

Of course, if you forget (or the next owner doesn't know) there are 2 set screws in that hole - life gets interesting. But it's not because thay've come loose....

FKT

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Ohey I send you picture...

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

There is an option that works reasonably well if you have sufficient depth of hole.

Of course, if you forget (or the next owner doesn't know) there are 2 set screws in that hole - life gets interesting. But it's not because thay've come loose....

FKT

I have a funny story about a PYI shaft seal, a clueless customer and an even more clueless diesel engine shop...

Just now, jgbrown said:

I have a funny story about a PYI shaft seal, a clueless customer and an even more clueless diesel engine shop...

Do tell......

It's quite surprising what you can drag off of a shaft with a big enough hydraulic gear puller and a negative balance of common sense.... not to mention the oxy torch.

FKT

This is a bit tedious for anyone else but an owner of an old Aries Vane like me, but take a look at what he manages to do with a blow torch and hammer.

these old things are a nightmare of frozen dissimilar metals.

8 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Oh yes.... I was asked by a local business owner if it was possible to put a larger drum on her chile roaster. It seemed doable so I decided to take the motor, reduction gear and shaft off before hacking the rest of it up. I pulled two opposing set screws out of the gear on the shaft and started pulling. It was tough but with a gear puller and enough pb blaster it came off. Leaving a gouge along the shaft you couldn't see until it was all the way off. Shit. Turns out they decided to just buy the next size up so I put it back together. The shaft buffed right out.

That is a shame, such a beautiful boat. Makes you wonder how many years it will be before there are only a handfull of boats from that era left.

I found the pedestal, it's right beside the head...

00T0T_a2HnfQYdUjf_600x450.jpg

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

That is a shame, such a beautiful boat. Makes you wonder how many years it will be before there are only a handfull of boats from that era left.

I found the pedestal, it's right beside the head...

00T0T_a2HnfQYdUjf_600x450.jpg

A real bonus - the boat has "inside" steering.

Why is someone paying for a slip for that wreckage? It is sad. But since we're here to mock...

It needs to be gutted but the Hull is good.

No, it doesn't appear to be.

00m0m_4Njhmp0pTHC_1200x900.jpg

Looks like some cracks and gouges among the scuffs to me. If the diesel in the puddle is similar, the valuable parts are the spars and winches and toe rail.

The ad warns that offers are accepted. I doubt the warning is needed.

It must have looked super cool back in the day.

• Like 2

When I was a kid walking the docks I dreamed of owning a Ranger 37.  It looked like it was going 10kts sitting at the dock.   I remember when these were new and they were very impressive when they came out.

Here is how they are supposed to look:
Image result for Ranger 37

https://houseofyachts.nl/yacht/ranger-37/

Five bells for this Zombie of a Ranger 37.

• Like 5
On 11/1/2018 at 10:44 PM, BlackieChan said:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/custom-expedition-modular/6734662468.html

I think they just got tangled with another boat and tried to make the most of it

I agree with the comments this is borderline mockable because the guy clearly enjoyed it. However this is perhaps a great place to apply Russel Brown's dictum that even though he sailed all over the Pacific on a proa, he'd never sell a proa to anyone.

And yes, even though I can say I made a custom stop for a  #35 drill using 4-40 set screws in an aluminum collar this very afternoon, I will add my voice to the argument that set screws are never a good idea on structures of this size. 

8 hours ago, Bull City said:

This line really does it:

"When she is fully restored, she will worth over $100 000."

And you will have 4 or 5 times that invested.

And this fine boast:

<<
+ Brand new D size battery, never used, two month old. >>

F0451865-01.jpg

8 hours ago, Bull City said:

This line really does it:

"When she is fully restored, she will worth over $100 000."

And you will have 4 or 5 times that invested.

A very optimistic guess.

My "dime on the dollar" rule indicates that boosting the market value of it to 100k would require spending about a million.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

And this fine boast:

<<

F0451865-01.jpg

It doubles the value of the ship. The posting has been "flagged for removal."

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

I agree with the comments this is borderline mockable because the guy clearly enjoyed it. However this is perhaps a great place to apply Russel Brown's dictum that even though he sailed all over the Pacific on a proa, he'd never sell a proa to anyone.

And yes, even though I can say I made a custom stop for a  #35 drill using 4-40 set screws in an aluminum collar this very afternoon, I will add my voice to the argument that set screws are never a good idea on structures of this size. 

It's the cost that got me. I understand that the kayaks and the sail kits probably account for the asking price, but $9000 for this home made thing? It's been listed for months so I guess I'm right, no one wants it or the dude is set on getting his $9000.

1 hour ago, BlackieChan said:

It's the cost that got me. I understand that the kayaks and the sail kits probably account for the asking price, but $9000 for this home made thing? It's been listed for months so I guess I'm right, no one wants it or the dude is set on getting his $9000.

You're right though $9K is very high for two kayaks especially if they've been modified. 

3 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Found, one pre-used orbital yacht.   Performance was proof-tested.   Contact Elon at spacex dot com for price and details.

- Stumbling

"I can't come to the phone right now cuz I have shit happening, but leave your blockchain key at the beep & I'll have some flunky dox your social & see if you're worthy."

180907-musk-630x455.jpg

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

And this fine boast:

<<

F0451865-01.jpg

Some are bigger than others

Took me all day to get this one. Had to finally ask my 8 year old for the obscure reference. 

73C5CD7C-4F89-4E16-AD59-B79E0C57726F.jpeg

4 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

I would put this in the ugly dodger thread, if I was sure this is actually a dodger. 

I'd call that a full cockpit enclosure but if you remove the side curtains, that's a dodger and Bimini.

4 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

This is a bit of a sad affair:

image.png.7f4260101e221b87a75a7c44c4d4846e.png

At least it has a "jeb" that is "rollin fulig"

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/pelican-sailboat/6737506791.html

It's as if the designer thought, "I'm going to win that Uglyboat thread!"

Seems like it would work better if it were bigger. That's a tiny cockpit and wtf does a boat that size need with all that aft deck? Other than to amuse onlookers at docks by keeping the skipper safely apart from any engine controls?

8 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

This is a bit of a sad affair:

image.png.7f4260101e221b87a75a7c44c4d4846e.png

At least it has a "jeb" that is "rollin fulig"

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/pelican-sailboat/6737506791.html

There's a sad story.

The San Fran Bay Pelican is a cool little boat..... it's actually a cool big boat on a very short waterline. A friend of mine built one of these when I was a kid, not great in light air or on windward legs but surprisingly fun to sail and able to face a heck of a lot more weather than you'd want to be out in anyway.

I don't recall his having such a big aft deck. I wonder if that's a custom add-on from this builder.

Sad story in this ad. I think the boat deserves better than this

FB- Doug

9 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

I would put this in the ugly dodger thread, if I was sure this is actually a dodger. 

image.png.516ca0a3bd86dc63786573962cef523e.png

The person needs to work on punctuation and grammar, as well as realistic expectations.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/1973-columbia-pegasus-sailing/6729420936.html

The Crack Den Fung Shui factor is strong...

00y0y_gUqF3afV2cr_600x450.jpg.01d06ce3c716d21b2a1764e53087c607.jpg

57 minutes ago, dogballs Tom said:
10 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

The Crack Den Fung Shui factor is strong...

00y0y_gUqF3afV2cr_600x450.jpg.01d06ce3c716d21b2a1764e53087c607.jpg

After an awesome mock like this, we should probably just move on. 

I dunno, I still got one left.

It's more like Dung Shui

FB- Doug

15 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

There's a sad story.

The San Fran Bay Pelican is a cool little boat..... it's actually a cool big boat on a very short waterline. A friend of mine built one of these when I was a kid, not great in light air or on windward legs but surprisingly fun to sail and able to face a heck of a lot more weather than you'd want to be out in anyway.

I don't recall his having such a big aft deck. I wonder if that's a custom add-on from this builder.

Sad story in this ad. I think the boat deserves better than this

FB- Doug

Given the species of the two large seabirds using it for an outhouse in the photo, the little boat seems aptly named. Blue tarps there for that reason, probably?

8 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Given the species of the two large seabirds using it for an outhouse in the photo, the little boat seems aptly named. Blue tarps there for that reason, probably?

Should probably take it to the Blue Tarp Anarchy thread...

1174157846_download(1).jpg.8b0b458beac1f892e89680cec716c793.jpg        1825157447_images(3).jpg.a0a26a07e0f137e1576ce8655b9febf5.jpg

1472795179_images(12).jpg.e0a2ace1b1d938ba0dc9f3b6da374720.jpg  202900055_images(5).jpg.a76c1b225023bfc1450e50fe164d0d40.jpg 

2109466322_download(3).jpg.0bec3d0c1f3c49684974b6379f11b373.jpg

images (2).jpg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

The Catkins Bartender is a good candidate for the Tad Roberts Facebook feed on "from a designer perspective, what precisely, is wrong with this otherwise sensible boat?"

That's a guy I'd want to talk sailing with....

1 hour ago, stumblingthunder said:

A double header selection: Mocking Ads and Ugly Dodger Anarchy.

- Stumbling

I didn't realize how famous the name is...https://lakelandwoodcraft.wordpress.com/wooden-boat-of-the-month/bartender-boat/

19 going vertical

A lot of Tad Roberts' unfortunate examples are traditional northwest fish boat conversions where the added aft cabin is just too big or just too small,  but my pet peeve is they often don't get the windows quite right, ruining the overall look. The windows have too look like boat windows, not house windows, with the right kinds of frames, and in proportion. The Catkins Bartender on the other hand reminds me of a certain type of 1979 era experimental passive solar co-op housing building that one might have seen around Vancouver. But the latter, unlike the Catkins Bartender. will have been subsequently stripped to the frame and rebuilt conventionally.

8 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

May I present, the Catkins Bartender....now, what'll ya have....https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/22-ft-calkins-bartender-6-cyl/6727432463.html

I think his addition could be brought to the attention of the Society.

First thing, before condition, and equipment. The cabin has been altered. The "purist" do not approve.
However, two men 6'5", can and have stood in it on SF Bay, and Timber Cove, when the weather was marginal.

That's Admirable. As are the rodholders. And those four tiny windows look ridiculous but it's not a cave down forward and you could see forward while sitting, both Admirable. It gets the non-purist stamp of approval from me.

OK, so it's an Ugly Dodger.

But mocking? I don't know. I don't want my fishing boats to be inboard nor made of wood and that one's both, but it seems like a nice boat for someone who would want such a thing. But I can't mock those things because they're just preferences and the ad opens with:

If you don't want a 1961 wooden boat. Please don't contact me.

Which probably should go without saying and probably doesn't.

I'm really not sure that Mocking is the right place for this one - a Buccaneer 25 cruising in glacier country - leaving from here. :o

I'm comfortable in saying you ain't never seen a pic like this one before.

I also suspect that it is the most over improved Bucc in the world.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/comox-courtenay-cumberland/25-bayliner-buccaneer/1396035941?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

image.png.f43cf703765910e72b1d633c99399afe.png

18 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm really not sure that Mocking is the right place for this one - a Buccaneer 25 cruising in glacier country - leaving from here. :o

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/comox-courtenay-cumberland/25-bayliner-buccaneer/1396035941?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Those things really are appallingly ugly.

19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It should not be mocked by those who have better boats doing less.   

• Like 6
11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Admirable mission

They're taking it beyond the environment

FB- Doug

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! 

15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

the ugliness of anthropogenic climate change... 

20 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Cut the bull Ish - no-one...NO-ONE ever allowed their name to be associated with the design of those things.

I know it's shameful, but the designer of record at Sailboatdata.com is Alan Payne/Bayliner. I can see Payne providing the hull and Bayliner providing the ugly.

He built the one with the cabin aft design. Too bad, it looks cute in the drawing where it is forward and less motion.For someone who wants a trawler but still likes to show some sail. Follow the link in the ad, it won't paste in here.

IMG_6139-XL.jpg
3 minutes ago, Vaeredil said:

I don't think this should be mocked, it's actually an extremely reasonable price for what the boat is. 

$200

https://olympic.craigslist.org/boa/d/wooden-sailboat-23/6720535786.html

00o0o_jryBnV4nWXF_600x450.jpg

01515_izOeUBSE6dd_600x450.jpg

Neglected,  but not yet a zombie. Someone hop on this!!

The engine alone is worth more than $200. It is ok, but I am no crazy about the design... that chine makes it a rather boxy looking boat. I am not sure it would do in some waves... 

• Like 2

After searching for an addition to mock I found this and can't stop giggling at the pontoons laying in the grass like a couple of trout....

The full listing reveals the many benefits of ownership... 

https://greenbay.craigslist.org/boa/d/marine-trac-14-catamaran/6727430813.html

Has been sailed only in freshwater

Comes with everything pictured, there are NO SAILS, MAST, OR BOOM with this boat

00Y0Y_lLwy40LxnWO_600x450.jpg

00C0C_64ptyxkgCVT_600x450.jpg

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

The engine alone is worth more than $200. It is ok, but I am no crazy about the design... that chine makes it a rather boxy looking boat. I am not sure it would do in some waves... 

'Stands are not included' 

Hahaha, does that mean he's replacing this derelict directly with another one? 

• Like 1

Why sell your perfectly functional small boat and get a functional larger boat with the headroom you desire....when you can NORTHWOODS it...and ruin your small boat and create an unusable monstrosity! Well I suppose you could make it into a fire wood hauler easy enough....

15 minutes ago, EvaOdland said:

Why sell your perfectly functional small boat and get a functional larger boat with the headroom you desire....when you can NORTHWOODS it...and ruin your small boat and create an unusable monstrosity! Well I suppose you could make it into a fire wood hauler easy enough....

FIFY

• Like 3
4 hours ago, EvaOdland said:

“is self righting and self bailing when the keel is down and sails are not in the water.”

The stability statement needed to be preserved.   

• Like 1