Jump to content

Mocking Ads on Craigslist


Recommended Posts

I present another find:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/12ft-sailboat/6751123107.html

01111_8jXeCJjDe04_1200x900.jpg

Teek, mast, ores and rutter. 12ft long. Can use with a trolling motor, as a dingy or for sailing. Trailer included.

Was this owned by a Tolkien dwarf?   Lots of ores to make ones deck hardware?  Or that really rare wood, teek.   Is the boat approaching mating (rutter) season?

- Stumbling

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Ohey I send you picture...

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

https://cfl.craigslist.org/bpo/d/20ft-sailboat-scow-mast-sails/6746265812.html

I have a 20 foot C scow sailboat along with the mast measuring 25 + foot the sales and all the rigging this racing car sailboat is one of a kind I cannot find one other on the market I live in Sebring ,preferred pick up but I may be able to deliver for $1 per mile to your location

After 2 minutes of search:

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/d/28-scow-performance-sailboat/6709566024.html

I find one bigger and faster.

C-scow seller's craigslist-fu is weak.

I was especially interested in the fusion "racing car sailboat" being advertised, but all that are shown are the rigs:

00I0I_eTwOz03slBL_1200x900.jpg

00909_9rMzNBJEIz7_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_isJKROyVbsT_1200x900.jpg

The hull is so fast, it needs to be hidden.

- Stumbling

it's so fast you can't see it!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/boa/d/1979-morgan-40-need-to-be-sold/6702798215.html

This looks like an Irma refugee:

00202_3DiuDkZRZfI_1200x900.jpg

"1979 Morgan 40

Sailboat need some fiberglass repair, after that the boat is nice.

The engine work and the boat was not sink.

NEED TO BE SOLD!!!"

Ahhh, English as a third language...

- Stumbling

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Contemplate this:

https://pensacola.craigslist.org/wan/d/unsaid-sailboat/6735144537.html

Better left unsaid...unstaid

- Stumbling

fify

Word of the Day:D a vacillating buyer, not particularly well ordered in behaviour

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

fify

Word of the Day:D a vacillating buyer, not particularly well ordered in behaviour

staid
/steɪd/
adjective
 
sedate, respectable, and unadventurous.
 
unstaid
 
hyper, neerdowell, and without common sense
 
Not exactly the best boat to be looking for:
"Wanted to buy, un staid sailboat. 16 ft or larger, sea pearl, bay hen, doveekey, or the like."
 
Isn't that what most boats are in Craigslist?
 
- Stumbling
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not craigslist, but truth in advertising:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/j-boats-fractured-sloop-3239763/?refSource=standard listing

1988 J Boats Fractured Sloop

This 1988 28’ J Boat is a very fast little cruiser that took on a bit of damage during hurricane Irma. The starboard aluminum toe rail took some damage forward, the starboard life lines and stanchions will need replacement and she will need a new bow rail and new SS bow roller. The rest of the boat shows well with a good running Yanmar diesel, lovely interior with opening ports and hatches, bulkhead mounted dinette table and air conditioning at the dock. Bolero will need some electronics and new forward running lights as well as some loving as she is now 30 years old and can carry an antique sticker saving you money in registration. The decks are solid and the cockpit is comfortable with all lines running into the cockpit for single handling safety.

Are you a sailing novice and looking for a bit of a project vessel priced to move quickly, look no further, Bolero is ready for her next adventure, are you? If this cute, fast little live-aboard sailing vessel is what you are looking for, please call us now and start your new sailing life with an easy to handle well built cruiser.

I have always thought that toe rail repairs are the worst pain to do.  Even with that, this is a pretty good price for a J-28.

- Stumbling

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stumblingthunder said:

Not craigslist, but truth in advertising:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/j-boats-fractured-sloop-3239763/?refSource=standard listing

1988 J Boats Fractured Sloop

This 1988 28’ J Boat is a very fast little cruiser that took on a bit of damage during hurricane Irma. The starboard aluminum toe rail took some damage forward, the starboard life lines and stanchions will need replacement and she will need a new bow rail and new SS bow roller. The rest of the boat shows well with a good running Yanmar diesel, lovely interior with opening ports and hatches, bulkhead mounted dinette table and air conditioning at the dock. Bolero will need some electronics and new forward running lights as well as some loving as she is now 30 years old and can carry an antique sticker saving you money in registration. The decks are solid and the cockpit is comfortable with all lines running into the cockpit for single handling safety.

Are you a sailing novice and looking for a bit of a project vessel priced to move quickly, look no further, Bolero is ready for her next adventure, are you? If this cute, fast little live-aboard sailing vessel is what you are looking for, please call us now and start your new sailing life with an easy to handle well built cruiser.

I have always thought that toe rail repairs are the worst pain to do.  Even with that, this is a pretty good price for a J-28.

- Stumbling

not so sure if this is truth in advertising: the damage is not clearly shown in the pictures. What is that POS inflatable hiding (without that inflatable which is clearly falling apart the value of the boat would probably go up)? Maybe I am too much of a skeptic, but my guess is that there might be more damage than communicated...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I present another find:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/12ft-sailboat/6751123107.html

01111_8jXeCJjDe04_1200x900.jpg

Teek, mast, ores and rutter. 12ft long. Can use with a trolling motor, as a dingy or for sailing. Trailer included.

Was this owned by a Tolkien dwarf?   Lots of ores to make ones deck hardware?  Or that really rare wood, teek.   Is the boat approaching mating (rutter) season?

- Stumbling

Looks to me like it was built, and not too shabbily, with a definite purpose in mind.

 

Fucked if I know what that purpose was, though. Surfing? Wake riding?

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://pensacola.craigslist.org/boa/d/learn-how-to-buy-fix-sell/6752100653.html

 

I'm 80yo can't do it myself anymore, have 35yrs experience to share with the right person, have made a very good living/lifestyle. You own and operate, I'll consult so you don't make mistakes. It's a great business with almost no overhead.
Example:
Buy a Boat 17ft to 30ft on Trailer for $1k put $500. into upgrade Total Cost $1500. sell for $5k not a wish ticket but real profit of $3,500.
Call me to discuss details or email

 

:o:lol::lol:

Because nothing says make money flipping boats like hiring a paid consultant.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

not so sure if this is truth in advertising: the damage is not clearly shown in the pictures. What is that POS inflatable hiding (without that inflatable which is clearly falling apart the value of the boat would probably go up)? Maybe I am too much of a skeptic, but my guess is that there might be more damage than communicated...

Agreed - it takes a lot of force to bend that holey rail - it's very strong stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BlackieChan said:

Does anyone have experience with Styrofoam repair? 

 

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/d/sailboat/6752501998.html

 

00303_gMwCfWfzcsM_1200x900.jpg

"Would be super cool to fix up or just take out and know you can't sink it"

In this case not being able to sink it might not necessarily be a positive quality...

I will admit that I have sailed one of these, however the one I sailed did not look like it had been sitting in a rain forest for the last decade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

The question is really what one can do with it

My first sail boat.  Had a lot of fun with it.

A small hook that hooked me for life. The hooks kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

image.png.b2f5f758aa835098bb3a7709cb8c1044.png

I wonder what the "remodeled kitchen" looks like...

apparently the mast is no longer on the boat. Maybe more crap is?

Besides genoa, I also think they misspelled "costly" as "costal"

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/26-ft-sailboat-costal/6755130941.html

And the "built on" barbeque

Jennoa...yes someone named their daughter that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

A lifejacket with whistle, light, beacon, hood and strap, free with every enquiry! He must be very keen to sell.

 

"email me with you're email and i will sent you a PFD with all the extras"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 1:15 PM, stumblingthunder said:

I present another find:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/12ft-sailboat/6751123107.html

01111_8jXeCJjDe04_1200x900.jpg

Teek, mast, ores and rutter. 12ft long. Can use with a trolling motor, as a dingy or for sailing. Trailer included.

Was this owned by a Tolkien dwarf?   Lots of ores to make ones deck hardware?  Or that really rare wood, teek.   Is the boat approaching mating (rutter) season?

- Stumbling

I wonder what that is? It's obviously not from around here.

00S0S_iLbgQ9X3bJd_1200x900.jpg

12' boats can't draw that much water here if you wish to sell them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, longy said:

The 'blue peter' is a maritime signal flag. When flown ashore, it means 'all crew report aboard departure immenent"

That may be but those two words have been stolen and have a new meaning today.

Blue and peter could be a deadly sperm buildup...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 1:15 PM, stumblingthunder said:

I present another find:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/12ft-sailboat/6751123107.html

01111_8jXeCJjDe04_1200x900.jpg

Teek, mast, ores and rutter. 12ft long. Can use with a trolling motor, as a dingy or for sailing. Trailer included.

Was this owned by a Tolkien dwarf?   Lots of ores to make ones deck hardware?  Or that really rare wood, teek.   Is the boat approaching mating (rutter) season?

- Stumbling

Looks like it might be a nice little boat, despite the accoutrements

Link to post
Share on other sites

They typos alone make this ad worth it. Aside from being unsinkable and self-righting, this boat has an anti-mosquito entrance door!

Also,

"The boat have two dip cycle battery, No more marines 3-4K. per year!!  He has good intuition to recognize scammers, so don't try him!"

But wait, there's more!

"for loco buyers, sailing lessons included"

 

00g0g_2GbvzWGWIWv_600x450.jpg.5e2a0097ecb590ef3af3351ffe69ad46.jpg

 

https://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/d/sailboat-2002-mac-gregor-26/6716868800.html

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 'Bacco said:

They typos alone make this ad worth it. Aside from being unsinkable and self-righting, this boat has an anti-mosquito entrance door!

Also,

"The boat have two dip cycle battery, No more marines 3-4K. per year!!  He has good intuition to recognize scammers, so don't try him!"

But wait, there's more!

"for loco buyers, sailing lessons included"

 

 

 

https://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/d/sailboat-2002-mac-gregor-26/6716868800.html

 

 

Might be the ugliest pic a seller could take. The Mac windshield closeup with wide angle lens.

00N0N_deESUjms7ok_600x450.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 'Bacco said:

"The boat have two dip cycle battery, No more marines 3-4K. per year!!

But in context, he was pretty clearly going for the "it's on a trailer so you don't have to pay a marina slip fee" angle.

The wide angle shot showing it needs a bath is pretty mockworthy. The English usage is better than I would do in Spanish, the only language in which I could even come close. So assuming it's a second language, can't mock that.

Nice engine. Not for a 26 foot powerboat IMO, but a nice engine. That boat would sell quickly for that price in this area because there are a whole lot of people who don't share my opinions about masts being a bad idea and adequately sized engines being a good idea on powerboats.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailing Texas is a great alternative for buying and selling boats. Our current boat was listed there and here on the SA Classifieds. I found it on Sailing Texas first. 

They are also a great resource for boat shopping because they save all of their old ads so you can search through the pictures, prices, equipment, etc. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

Sailing Texas is a great alternative for buying and selling boats. Our current boat was listed there and here on the SA Classifieds. I found it on Sailing Texas first. 

They are also a great resource for boat shopping because they save all of their old ads so you can search through the pictures, prices, equipment, etc. 

I bought two and sold one boat with them.

I agree it's a good resource to research. I just wish they could some how denote sold boats in the main listing without having to open each ad. That would make it easier to see what's actually still for sale.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 6:24 PM, 'Bacco said:

They typos alone make this ad worth it. Aside from being unsinkable and self-righting, this boat has an anti-mosquito entrance door!

Also,

"The boat have two dip cycle battery, No more marines 3-4K. per year!!  He has good intuition to recognize scammers, so don't try him!"

But wait, there's more!

"for loco buyers, sailing lessons included"

 

00g0g_2GbvzWGWIWv_600x450.jpg.5e2a0097ecb590ef3af3351ffe69ad46.jpg

 

https://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/d/sailboat-2002-mac-gregor-26/6716868800.html

Now if only he had bent on the main and put two reefs in it for the skiing picture, it would be perfect!!!

- Stumbling

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 11:26 PM, BlackieChan said:

Does anyone have experience with Styrofoam repair? 

 

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/d/sailboat/6752501998.html

 

00303_gMwCfWfzcsM_1200x900.jpg

Back in the late 60’s or early ‘70’s, Kool cigarettes actually gave away specially colored Snarks as a premium.  I think if you sent in some large number of empty cigarette packs and like $20, they would send you a Snark done up in Kool colors with the Kool logo on the sail.  Being a sailboat crazy 10 year old, that seemed to me to be the most likely way I would be able to get my own boat.  

I casually suggested that my mother switch brands of cigarettes; I hadn’t counted on her asking me why.  Turns out I had to wait until I was in my early thirties before I bought my own Sunfish.  Sad, but true.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My first world complaint is that while my sisters’ first boat was an expanded polystyrene thing (a Puffin Pioneer I think) mine was even worse - a Prout Puffin. My dear Dad built it for me and it really was horrid: it was designed by Barry Bucknell who also had a hand in the Mirror Dinghy and I remember the humiliation with which my friends in Mirrors would literally sail round me in rings. 

https://nmmc.co.uk/object/boats/puffin-dinghy/

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

That's scary.

i

I like the way they've noted the scale on the drawing, some of those random wiggles in the hull and deck lines must be 5 or 6", difficult to fabricate you'd have thought, but somehow the photos show that it's exactly as shit as they imagined.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any boat like that in Vancouver has to be seen in the context of the housing crisis.  If there is some grandfathered affordable moorage there or something you're looking at two years rent on a two bedroom in that neighborhood for the price on the boat and it's fine as long as it doesn't sink. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

I like the way they've noted the scale on the drawing, some of those random wiggles in the hull and deck lines must be 5 or 6", difficult to fabricate you'd have thought, but somehow the photos show that it's exactly as shit as they imagined.

That's because all of the boat was (custom!) fabricated with +/- 1" accuracy.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, toddster said:

Still digesting the adverb “built-house.”  The name “Swish” seems self-aware; a swing and a miss!

At least they followed through.  But maybe shouldn’t have...

In basketball, a "Swish" is good. Dunno about other sports. Style & fashion? Could be good or bad..............

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

I thought I knew every outboard OMC ever made.

Never heard of one of these before:

01212_7cpLBmzj6bk_1200x900.jpg

50s vintage. Excellent motor. I had the later version at 15 hp 30 years old second pull starts planed my dink 4 up. It got stolen in St Barts, the thief passing up a brand new unsecured Honda 4st to steal m old Johnson. He was later found to have a houseful of old Johnsons and Evinrudes that he was parting out to the locals. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2018 at 11:13 AM, dogballs Tom said:

I thought I knew every outboard OMC ever made.

Never heard of one of these before:

01212_7cpLBmzj6bk_1200x900.jpg

My dad used to own one of these (1980s), may be that's a European version.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2018 at 4:12 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Interesting - I didn't realise that Brent Swain had branched out into new 'designs'.

FKT

That’s not a design. That’s a disgrace. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2018 at 10:55 AM, TQA said:
On 12/1/2018 at 5:13 AM, dogballs Tom said:

I thought I knew every outboard OMC ever made.

Never heard of one of these before:

01212_7cpLBmzj6bk_1200x900.jpg

50s vintage. Excellent motor. I had the later version at 15 hp 30 years old second pull starts planed my dink 4 up.

I don't think so. My first outboard was a 1961 Johnson and that thing is way more advanced, much closer to my 80's vintage 15 hp.

 

11 hours ago, Panoramix said:

My dad used to own one of these (1980s), may be that's a European version.

It's shaped like the ones I know as 6 and 8 hp engines and painted like an 80's engine. I've just never seen one that said 7.5 before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

 

It's shaped like the ones I know as 6 and 8 hp engines and painted like an 80's engine. I've just never seen one that said 7.5 before.

My dad's was a 7.5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 3:13 AM, dogballs Tom said:

I don't think so. My first outboard was a 1961 Johnson and that thing is way more advanced, much closer to my 80's vintage 15 hp.

 

It's shaped like the ones I know as 6 and 8 hp engines and painted like an 80's engine. I've just never seen one that said 7.5 before.

The 7.5 was basically the 8 with different stickers. It was an answer to annoying laws. Different areas starting passing laws requiring a boating license for 8 HP and above, or restricting kids to less than 8 HP. So no one wanted to buy an 8, but an 8 labeled as a 7.5 was great. 

Then everyone thought they were brilliant and switched to 10 HP restrictions. That’s why you never see a 10 HP outboard any more. They’re all 9.9 HP. 

Edit: There were also lake restrictions, registration requirements, and other nonsense, but all were at either the 8 or 10 limit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Dint even need to go past the 1st page. It ran once, years ago.

 

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bpo/d/1927-johnson-35-6-hp-outboard/6764512149.html

00F0F_bVHgrUNIQ5U_600x450.jpg.147cfec290587706e1948936d5d7a8e5.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Monkey said:

The 7.5 was basically the 8 with different stickers. It was an answer to annoying laws. Different areas starting passing laws requiring a boating license for 8 HP and above, or restricting kids to less than 8 HP. So no one wanted to buy an 8, but an 8 labeled as a 7.5 was great. 

Then everyone thought they were brilliant and switched to 10 HP restrictions. That’s why you never see a 10 HP outboard any more. They’re all 9.9 HP. 

Edit: There were also lake restrictions, registration requirements, and other nonsense, but all were at either the 8 or 10 limit. 

I think the 9.9 instead of 10 thing must pre-date the 7.5 model.

I think that because I owned a 70's vintage 9.9, so that was apparently already a thing by then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Autonomous said:
15 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

He wants someone to pay him to show him how to maintain and sail the boat.

Last ad says "slightly damaged" and somewhere in there it says "needs anchor and bilge pump"

He wants somebody to pay him and fix it for him.

Oh well, there are worse delusions people could have in life. At least he's not going out and playing a loud electric guitar in public

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites