Mocking Ads on Craigslist

2 hours ago, furr_ball said:

For your viewing mocking pleasure......I offer you FREE........unbelievable.......yes......

He is honest about it requiring work

That's just a sad Zombie. The panoramic view of the clutter was disorienting. The bow pulpit appears serviceable, can't believe it wasn't scavenged when the rest was stripped.

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Ohey I send you picture...

Posted Images

4 hours ago, furr_ball said:

More gold from down south.

The franken dragon gave so much........

For your viewing mocking pleasure......I offer you FREE........unbelievable.......yes......

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/strathpine/sail-boats/35ft-yacht-free/1209653901

35ft yacht Free

Free
strathpine
Still available, please be aware it will need a lot of work. No engine, No sail gear. No mast.

A 35ft concrete hull yacht, has no engine. Mast has been dropped and removed . Requires a lot of work.

I’m listing this for my father, he is not able to do anything with it anymore. Yacht is located in cabbage tree creek.
If you’re serious about taking it then message me and I can pass contact details on to you. It is a take it away or make your own arrangements with mooring it deal though. Yacht is available as is.

Please don’t message me asking questions, I have no idea about a lot of it.

Free 1.PNG

Free 2.PNG

I admire two things: that someone at one time thought they could do something with this, and that someone is deluded enough to say to themselves "you know what will sell this bad boy?  A panoramic shot that really highlights the challenge!"

13 hours ago, Contumacious Tom said:

It weighs 260 lbs.

It's only 12 feet long.

It might carry a person, but the person couldn't carry it.

I think it would sit awfully low in the water if you were bold enough to get aboard. I'd give it a shot in warm water after checking pockets for things that shouldn't get wet.

12'?  260lbs?   Somebody oughta send him a copy of Marc Pettingill's "Building Sweet Dream" - 12'6" and about 28 lbs, outta 2 sheets of 1/4 marine grade ply.   Flatwater paddler, limited capacity ( 275lbs) - but, a stiff, nice paddling little canoe. 

6 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Regarding the dugout, it's possible it was a larger, crappier version of Paddle to the Sea that someone forgot to put back in the water. (Warning: Important Canadian cultural artifact follows):

I first saw this at Killbear Park near Parry Sound, way back when. They had a movie screen back then. There was another one I remember, a guy in a canoe going through the geological times of the Great Lakes. It was a humourous film that had the crowd roaring.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

It also looks like that it has not had the gunnels steamed to widen it.   As stated before, it is a carved log shape, its going to roll like a log.

I have paddled a log canoe before, with widened gunnels.   It still rolls in an instant.

- Stumbling

Because it's log rhythmic. 

3 hours ago, Hukilau said:

I admire two things: that someone at one time thought they could do something with this, and that someone is deluded enough to say to themselves "you know what will sell this bad boy?  A panoramic shot that really highlights the challenge!"

A ferro Endurance 35 it seems.

They've been giving away similar or better glass ones around here.

Came across these two gems last night.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/bedford/32-foot-sail-boat-with-trailer/1410434593?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true\

Has been out off water for a few years and will need some work. Comes with everything you need to sail Asking$3000
$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/city-of-halifax/28-foot-sailboat-irwin/1355157196?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
THIS BOAT IS A PROJECT HAD A FIRE BELOW DECK BUT THE HULL IS SOUND , ASKING $ 1250 OBO

$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG

16 hours ago, furr_ball said:

More gold from down south.

The franken dragon gave so much........

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/strathpine/sail-boats/35ft-yacht-free/1209653901

35ft yacht Free

Free
strathpine
Still available, please be aware it will need a lot of work. No engine, No sail gear. No mast.

A 35ft concrete hull yacht, has no engine. Mast has been dropped and removed . Requires a lot of work.

I’m listing this for my father, he is not able to do anything with it anymore. Yacht is located in cabbage tree creek.
If you’re serious about taking it then message me and I can pass contact details on to you. It is a take it away or make your own arrangements with mooring it deal though. Yacht is available as is.

Please don’t message me asking questions, I have no idea about a lot of it.

Free 1.PNG

Free 2.PNG

Not even sure if "requiring work" is close to honest. I think that scuttling it in a very deep part of the sea is what it mostly needs...

10 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

I first saw this at Killbear Park near Parry Sound, way back when. They had a movie screen back then. There was another one I remember, a guy in a canoe going through the geological times of the Great Lakes. It was a humourous film that had the crowd roaring.

Oh good gravy!  I haven't seen that since I was a boy waaaay back when.  They showed the film to us in school, and it made quite the impression on me then.   Thank you so much for sharing.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

Not even sure if "requiring work" is close to honest. I think that scuttling it in a very deep part of the sea is what it mostly needs...

I think it should be dragged up on shore and covered with dirt.

The ocean doesn't deserve such ill treatment

Neither does dirt, really, but it will have less effect on the environment that way

FB- Doug

4 hours ago, Contumacious Tom said:

No.

$_59.JPG

Offset companionway? Yes.

It's difficult to see how it survived and got safely back on land.

You can have a cool looking Sharpie or a boat with an interior, but not both.

It's the solid welding life lines that kept her afloat...

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-sailing-partners-wanted-be/6810210374.html

Sailing Partners Wanted - Be Part of the Adventure - $20000

Sailing Partners Wanted - Be Part of the Adventure

This is an opportunity for people who are looking to live life to the fullest and to challenge themselves.
I have a beautiful classical wooden sailing ship - a 23 meter traditional Danish ketch. "Labora" is set up for extensive expedition style sailing to rugged and remote areas of the world, like the Arctic and Tropics. The outfitting is 90% complete.
Come in as an executive with equity share of $20,000 to 50,000 and you will live the excitement of the creation of this project: developing the boat and her expeditions, along with the concept of the sailing club.
The business is built around Liberty International Sailing Club. The boat will be supported by like minded club members joining for seamanship training and extended cruising. 

01313_a6dPkhwEbpg_1200x900.jpg

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-sailing-partners-wanted-be/6810210374.html

This is an opportunity for people who are looking to live life to the fullest and to challenge themselves.
I have a beautiful classical wooden sailing ship - a 23 meter traditional Danish ketch. "Labora" is set up for extensive expedition style sailing to rugged and remote areas of the world, like the Arctic and Tropics. The outfitting is 90% complete.
Come in as an executive with equity share of $20,000 to 50,000 and you will live the excitement of the creation of this project: developing the boat and her expeditions, along with the concept of the sailing club.
The business is built around Liberty International Sailing Club. The boat will be supported by like minded club members joining for seamanship training and extended cruising. 

90%!

No worries there then. 

6 hours ago, Zonker said:

With a headline like that, who could resist visiting their website to learn more?

Not me.

The membership fee is $50 US per year, and membership entitles you to

• Updates about Labora and progress of the trips, including articles, photos and videos

• Access to members-only areas of the website

• Input for the project's expeditions, destinations and themes

• Access to the clubhouse, the S/V Labora, and other club equipment such as the sailing skiff and diving gear, during downtime between journeys.

No matter where in the world the ship is, you can come and stay for a week or more at a time and help with maintenance and upgrades. This is of particular interest to those who are considering investing in a boat of their own in the future. You can share your knowledge and experience with the club and learn new skills at the same time, and meet like minded people from around the globe in a relaxed environment.

As a club member, you may also donate for the maintenance and upgrading of the ship. With these donations you are able to take part in expeditions and be part of the crew learning traditional seamanship on the Labora. 

There is no minimum donation, and each dollar donated equals one point toward sailing time. 400 points are redeemable for one week of expedition time, and each additional week is 300 points. We encourage longer voyages, as spending more time aboard is a better to ingrain the skills deeper and to keep the knowledge learned in the memory for longer periods of time. The points are redeemable for yourself or as a gift to another, and the points do not expire so you can wait until a bunk on the journey that interests you most becomes available.

Or until the 90% becomes 100%.

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It's actually 85% complete.

I think you knew that.

Well then, there you go. Let’s go sailing!

10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Criminy that's not even poor-grade fire wood.

Trailer doesn't look like it's worth bothering with either.

FB- Doug

I’d only go near that in a hazmat suit. That could be a superfund site in the near future. Or photos for a book titled “How not to store your boat”.

20 hours ago, Zonker said:

It is a beautiful boat, with a lot of work completed and in the water (I would say my boat, which I sail regularly, is less than 90% completed, because what boat is complete?), so I am not sure how mock-worthy this ad is.

Yes, finding sailing partners with some cash this way is probably a little desperate, but not a horrible investment if you get along with the skipper, who seems to be experienced. 

• Like 1
On 2/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, Steam Flyer said:

I think it should be dragged up on shore and covered with dirt.

The ocean doesn't deserve such ill treatment

Neither does dirt, really, but it will have less effect on the environment that way

FB- Doug

Yep, really a catch 22, isn't it... what to do with pieces of shit like that... maybe dump it on a Trump golf course?

16 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

As opposed to 85 % decomposed...tabernacle

Not sure what it was, Teenee is a trailer brand I think...https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/boa/d/16-sailboat-trailer-project/6801452011.html

00A0A_2XeL3XKHSOu_600x450.jpg

They say that one man's trash is another man's treasure. My father was a trash pile shopper and got some great stuff.

But other than the 50+kilos of aluminum, that's EVERY man's trash.

Here's an opportunity not to be missed - complete, new in the tube plans for a 40' ferro.

Burn them with fire!

Plans for 40 ft. Ketch (N. Delta)

Complete plans for a Samson Marine Design 40 ft. C-Smoke Still in original packing. (tubes
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Here's an opportunity not to be missed - complete, new in the tube plans for a 40' ferro.

Burn them with fire!

Plans for 40 ft. Ketch (N. Delta)

Complete plans for a Samson Marine Design 40 ft. C-Smoke Still in original packing. (tubes

Q: What's the best place for a 40' ferrocement sailboat?

A: In that tube.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1952202256.htm?rsqid=a75bafb5a4d04139835294f326d0f0a7

How about this one for tell it like it is...

This vessel, while not particularly suitable for the marine environment, would make a fabulous sleep out, bunker or tsunami shelter. 

This boat was a labour of love over many years and despite its major fail as a sailboat it deserves to be  
repurposed.  

Hanetta is being sold on behalf of the Mana Cruising Club. Purchaser is responsible for removal of the vessel within 14 days.  

The club will load vessel free of charge onto transporter. If buy now is used the club will also contribute $500 towards moving costs. 

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/77922

main.jpg

I am mocking the lack of proofreading of the contents of the description:

"Morgan 41 yawl for sale 
$37,500 (Not the Out Island version )
Linda Marie, designed as full keel, centerboard configuration with a 43 draft with the board up and 94 when fully extended. A stable off wind performance and balanced upwind capability. Highly desirable yawl sail plan provides a range of options for reducing sail. Combination genoa/mizzen sail propels the boat comfortably near hull speed.
The Morgan 41 yawl is a unique design. Elevation of cockpit is only three steps above the salon floor, eliminating the feeling of crawling down in a cave when going down the companionway.
Traditional layout with a large 67 x 7 Master v-berth with 6 teak storage cabinets. Head is situated to port with a large hanging locker to starboard. The main salon features 66 settees on each side with 66 pilot berths above and outboard. Nav. table to port with the galley starboard. A quarter berth lays aft behind the Nav table. Interior finished with oiled teak walls, cabinets and drawers, providing an extraordinary amount of storage space and uncommon elegance. Delivered as a hull/deck kit boat and completed by a talented original owner/with attention to detail."

No indication of units for draft: millimeters, feet, fathoms, qubits (Egyptian or Macedonian), leagues, shots?

The boat's name should be TARDIS, as it is bigger on the inside than the outside.   Room to sleep 132 of your closest sailing friends, on a 41 foot boat.

- Stumbling

5 hours ago, Contumacious Tom said:

Lacks a lot of details.

So much WTF in one picture. But mainly: are those really solid wooden masts?

That wouldn't be so weird if it were so. Standard stuff for old time boats - hollow masts are a RELATIVELY recent invention I think. 

I do agree that the advertisement is a masterpiece of candour

"We'll just beef that up a bit - make it a little stronger".

The fate of virtually all amateur ferros.

They all knew better than the designer.

There was one built here where the builder must have heard about the old wooden boat technique of filling the area above hull stringers with pitch tapered so water would run down to the bilge. Kept water from pooling on the tops of the stringers.

He thought it sounded like a good idea so he filled all such areas - with cement.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/d/deland-22-unique-project-boat/6819357433.html

01313_6uk3HpDrvke_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_k18R5tSR5Mn_600x450.jpg

I present a "river cruiser"  that was made out of a Catalina 22.

I am impressed with the companionway extension to gain headroom.

A bonus is the pivoting bass boat seat on the bow, for either fishing or sunning.

An finally, the efficient reuse of a truck bed topper door for the companionway, to give that asymmetric jeu ne se quoi.

- Stumbling

- Stumbling

16 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

https://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/d/deland-22-unique-project-boat/6819357433.html

A bonus is the pivoting bass boat seat on the bow, for either fishing or sunning.

An finally, the efficient reuse of a truck bed topper door for the companionway, to give that asymmetric jeu ne se quoi.

- Stumbling

- Stumbling

What a conveniently positioned steering wheel.  This boat is clearly used in places where nothing ever appears to port.

11 hours ago, Contumacious Tom said:

So much WTF in one picture. But mainly: are those really solid wooden masts?

Rectangular in cross section. Which no one with any understanding of structural mechanics would specify for a sailboat mast.

48 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Rectangular in cross section. Which no one with any understanding of structural mechanics would specify for a sailboat mast.

??

Do I take it you haven't seen many wood masts?

The vast majority of them are rectangular. The only round ones I've ever seen were solid.

5 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

- Stumbling

We've seen a few truck toppers plopped on boats but that one is a work of art and might deserve the attention of the Society.

The companionway is the best part. But the wheel, the seat, it's all a hoot.

18 hours ago, Mitre cut said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1952202256.htm?rsqid=a75bafb5a4d04139835294f326d0f0a7

How about this one for tell it like it is...

This vessel, while not particularly suitable for the marine environment, would make a fabulous sleep out, bunker or tsunami shelter. 

This boat was a labour of love over many years and despite its major fail as a sailboat it deserves to be  
repurposed.  

Hanetta is being sold on behalf of the Mana Cruising Club. Purchaser is responsible for removal of the vessel within 14 days.  

The club will load vessel free of charge onto transporter. If buy now is used the club will also contribute $500 towards moving costs. 

Winner.

We've had partially listing boats here before but...never with salmon coloured cabin tops.:lol:

6 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

- Stumbling

Note the door opens to the helm so there is no time lost to drain the main vein. And the door handle is strung upside down for a speed.

.White Ibis, are they threatened by man?

The shed out of pvc pipe is an important clue.

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Note the door opens to the helm so there is no time lost to drain the main vein. And the door handle is strung upside down for a speed.

.White Ibis, are they threatened by man?

Good catch on the shed, that had escaped my prior evaluations!

White Ibis are wading fishing birds, located throughout the Southeast.   Not a hunted bird, but does have some environmental pressures.

- Stumbling

7 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:
9 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Good catch on the shed, that had escaped my prior evaluations!

That's not what that is.

It's an insta-carport. I've had a few. When the cover dies (about 2 years in the FL sun), you can get another. Or, if you're a cheap old coot like the one who stored his trailer in my driveway, you get a cheap silver tarp and string it up to the pole frame, which is steel. Later in the story, we get to the part about the steel rusting.

18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

??

Do I take it you haven't seen many wood masts?

The vast majority of them are rectangular. The only round ones I've ever seen were solid.

A large percentage of constructed wooden masts -- including all the good ones -- are at least hexagonal or octagonal in cross section, very often glued up using the bird's mouth joint:

ABER+(163).jpg

birdworld1.gif

41fe3842df8bbd6f96735800d642172d.jpg?b=t

Rectangular box beams are fine -- in fact very good! -- as long as they are loaded parallel to one or the other axis. Any diagonal loading creates phenomenal stress concentrations at the vertices, and the beam tends to flatten like a cardboard carton you've opened the bottom of. Some people figure they can overcome the weakness of a rectangular mast by making it really large -- as this boat apparently did. But that really doesn't change the calculus at the corners. Better hope your loading stays on axis & in column, and that you experience zero torsion, or Blammo goes the spar. People build oblong spars because it's easy, not because they are strong. (Exception: the booms on performance race boats are often tall, narrow demi-rectangles. That's to maximize vertical strength when close hauled & the beam loads are insane. Any strength lost while reaching is accepted & (hopefully) covered by the remarkable properties of carbon fiber.)

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

A large percentage of constructed wooden masts -- including all the good ones -- are at least hexagonal or octagonal in cross section, very often glued up using the bird's mouth joint:

41fe3842df8bbd6f96735800d642172d.jpg?b=t

I've never seen a big mast built birdsmouth style, mostly for dinghies. IIRC Guzzwell used that technique for the spars on Endangered Species and reinforced it with carbon tapes up the inside.

That one in the pic is amazing - a piece of art

Absolutely nothing wrong with a rectangular cross section for a wooden mast - they've been in common use for a more than a century. Birdsmouth is a relatively more modern technique that really came into its own with epoxy, which doesn't need the clamping pressure of earlier adhesives. A wooden spar is much more likely to fail from rot than from the building technique. 

HMCS Oriole, launched 1921 w/ hollow rectangular spars. Maybe not a great example given they lose bits of the rig occasionally, but they push that boat hard.

oriole1.jpg

Hollow round spar sections were built in staves like an oak wine barrel. Marilee the gaff rig NY 40 has hollow spars constructed in this method with plugs installed at the ends to reinforce them. I helped build them in 2001 from a truckload of Oregon oldgrowth Douglas Fir. 

More recently, the birdsmouth has gained popularity since it basically holds itself together with more surface area and a physical rabbet to lay into. The 65’ mast for Silent Maid was laid up in this manner this past spring. 

My Crosby Curlew has a deck stepped hollow box mast and boom. It is able to handle the loads adequately. It’s in fine condition for a 54 year old spar. My ocean racer, Mooeak has a box boom from 1949 that is in fine condition as well. 

My 1900 catboat has solid spars and are quite heavy for spruce. Lots of resin in the old trees from the 1800’s.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

... maybe all the crap boats asking high prices have been snapped up this week.

FB- Doug

Here's a cheap bang for your bucks.   Might want to have the owner give you a sea (yard) trial first though.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/d/albany-homebuilt-landyacht-landsailer/6804082600.html

00D0D_l2vPmlH3AVb_1200x900.thumb.jpg.89da17d6c299016f436d49c276b602d2.jpg

Homebuilt landsailer. It is super fast and fun. 
I never use it.
$150 OBO

3 minutes ago, Out West said:

Here's a cheap bang for your bucks.   Might want to have the owner give you a sea (yard) trial first though.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/d/albany-homebuilt-landyacht-landsailer/6804082600.html

I never use it.
$150 OBO

Steering rake looks sporty:)

3 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:
6 minutes ago, Out West said:

I never use it.
$150 OBO

Wow, now there is a fine piece of back porch engineering. I guess "super fast" means it can out run the 5 year old you stole the tricycle from?

I think I know why the seller "never uses it"

FB- Doug

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Good starter "device" for Jammer6

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

Wow, now there is a fine piece of back porch engineering. I guess "super fast" means it can out run the 5 year old you stole the tricycle from?

I think I know why the seller "never uses it"

FB- Doug

How can he know it's super fast if he never uses it?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Hollow round spar sections were built in staves like an oak wine barrel. Marilee the gaff rig NY 40 has hollow spars constructed in this method with plugs installed at the ends to reinforce them. I helped build them in 2001 from a truckload of Oregon oldgrowth Douglas Fir. 

More recently, the birdsmouth has gained popularity since it basically holds itself together with more surface area and a physical rabbet to lay into. The 65’ mast for Silent Maid was laid up in this manner this past spring. 

My Crosby Curlew has a deck stepped hollow box mast and boom. It is able to handle the loads adequately. It’s in fine condition for a 54 year old spar. My ocean racer, Mooeak has a box boom from 1949 that is in fine condition as well. 

My 1900 catboat has solid spars and are quite heavy for spruce. Lots of resin in the old trees from the 1800’s.

I remember reading someplace about gluing a mast for an America's Cup boat. This was pre-aluminum mast, pre-epoxt, pre-birdsmouth technique. 

That would be with resorcinol or hide glue! The hide glue gives you a little wiggle room like thickened epoxy. The resorcinol bond face had to be perfectly mates and smooth or it would fail.

20 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

He is 85% sure, 19 times out of 20

Ahhh, it's that ever looming 15%

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Yanmar 2 GMF in good condition

Well, other than that pesky broken connecting rod anyway.

A deal at only $1500.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/bpo/d/surrey-yanmar-2gm20f-16hp-diesel/6814770731.html

Lol! Yeah everything else works great...because con rods just snap for no reason, and NEVER do any collateral damage when they do....