Mocking Ads on Craigslist

4 hours ago, woahboy said:

I suppose I am lucky living here in North Texas in a sailing sort of way. Can keep the boat in the drink year ‘round. Now the MAGA hats are another story.

We can keep the boat in the water year 'round, and most folks do. There are some boats that have been in the water for well over 10 years. Personally, I think it's a best to haul once every year or two, and I try to do that.

• Like 1
  • Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Ohey I send you picture...

Posted Images

On 3/29/2019 at 10:06 PM, Bull City said:

We can keep the boat in the water year 'round, and most folks do. There are some boats that have been in the water for well over 10 years. Personally, I think it's a best to haul once every year or two, and I try to do that.

I generally 3 to 5 years, if hurricanes don't force a haul-out more often.

FB- Doug

5 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I generally 3 to 5 years, if hurricanes don't force a haul-out more often.

FB- Doug

I’ll probably pull mine end of the summer and get the topsides painted.

Here's an interesting method of customizing a boat's interior.

"The interior has a number of useful and well made modifications and improvements, all executed in sold steak and to a good standard."

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

"The interior has a number of useful and well made modifications and improvements, all executed in sold steak and to a good standard."

Is it Canada AAA beef?

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Griled, I assume

FB- Doug

• Like 1
14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Microsoft's Texan spell checker.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Well he’ll, it,pn

y has a single Diesel engine. I prefer the multi Diesel engine models myself.

52 minutes ago, woahboy said:

Well he’ll, it,pn

y has a single Diesel engine. I prefer the multi Diesel engine models myself.

Can you translate that first bit into English, please?

@Ishmael LOL.... iPads suck at replies. I was saying the ad noted it has a single diesel engine. I prefer sailboats with multiple diesel engines. 

On 3/31/2019 at 5:47 PM, SloopJonB said:

those may be well marbled, rare and well done.  

1 minute ago, d'ranger said:

those may be well marbled, rare and well done.  

Nothing like a good ribeye.

May be time for the motivated seller to become a motivated giver-

1976 Cheoy Lee 28 - $1900 

00g0g_2jML8jchgFM_600x450.jpg

00I0I_1h5TDHnEzNe_600x450.jpg

1978 Cheoy Lee 28. Needs restoration. Motivated seller. Volvo diesel. The spruce mast and boom have been restored. 

Free boat, what could go wrong?  Better yet, it is a "Schnooer." In fact they'll pay you $800 to take it away.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/markham-york-region/free-30-wood-schnooer-sailboat-we-pay-you-800-to-take-it/1424643273?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$_59.JPG

Here's a perfect boat for someone with small tastes. Impressive how much stuff they managed to fit into such a compact boat

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/d/seattle-islander-freeport/6859088564.html

comes fully equipped with tools dishes barbecue and 6 person rubber dingy with 9.8 HP Nissan dingy davits . electric anchor winch . propane tanks with alarm system Engine is 6 cylinder diesel , Borg-warned velvet drive transmission 200 water 70 gal fuel

01616_8Cw9ZCJTNF6_600x450.jpg

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, andykane said:

Here's a perfect boat for someone with small tastes. Impressive how much stuff they managed to fit into such a compact boat

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/d/seattle-islander-freeport/6859088564.html

01616_8Cw9ZCJTNF6_600x450.jpg

Its bigger on the inside than the outside, thats how!

Just be aware that the transmission has a grinding sound when engaged, similar vehicle:

- Stumbling

4 hours ago, Forestdawg said:

Free boat, what could go wrong?  Better yet, it is a "Schnooer." In fact they'll pay you $800 to take it away.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/markham-york-region/free-30-wood-schnooer-sailboat-we-pay-you-800-to-take-it/1424643273?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$_59.JPG

That has been around the thread a couple of times already.  Notable only because they apparently missed their dumpster deadline. Probably it was too darned cold at the time...  Although a bonfire might have been nice.

5 hours ago, toddster said:

That has been around the thread a couple of times already.  Notable only because they apparently missed their dumpster deadline. Probably it was too darned cold at the time...  Although a bonfire might have been nice.

Ooops. Seems I missed it on the first go rounds, then was fooled by the fact that the current ad was posted just four days ago.  Can't believe someone hasn't snagged it so their kids could have a pirate ship instead of a tree house. Or, as you say, an awesome one-off bonfire.

32 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Decrepit dinghy series...https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/boa/d/north-vancouver-project-dingy/6854864994.html

just look at that patina...sure, the back fell off, but...

00g0g_2rMCPGRxm1P_600x450.jpg

Are you sure?   She could be a scow double ender and the bow fell off!

- Stumbling

14 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Are you sure?   She could be a scow double ender and the bow fell off!

- Stumbling

I think we have an iceboat waiting to be created...

Related image
4 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Decrepit dinghy series...https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/boa/d/north-vancouver-project-dingy/6854864994.html

just look at that patina...sure, the back fell off, but...

00g0g_2rMCPGRxm1P_600x450.jpg

Burial shroud included at no extra charge.

3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Related image

What the heck is that thing?

Just now, woahboy said:
3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Related image

Oh no! I have a vision of Little Nell tied up to the railroad tracks ice while this thing approaches with ominous music....... that, or maybe a James Bond chase scene

FB- Doug

• Like 1
On 4/6/2019 at 4:00 PM, woahboy said:

I was wondering too. A better pic:

ice-boat-3.jpg

Apparently the engine drives a spiked wheel to push it over ice on those rails. The seller is throwing in the used ice auger.

It's the kind of thing that makes me think hurricanes really aren't so bad.

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Importunate Tom said:

ice-boat-3.jpg

Apparently the engine drives a spiked wheel to push it over ice on those rails. The seller is throwing in the used ice auger.

Its more of a Darwin test for folks who like to sit on the bow in the summers and dangle their feet over the edge while said craft is running.

"Sit on the bow, sure and have another beer!"

- Stumbling

4 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

ice-boat-3.jpg

On first glace I thought the ice auger was a weed whacker. Now I see.

6 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

ice-boat-3.jpg

Visuals: 

^^ Has a touch of Red / Green to it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sculpin said:

needs more duct tape

Need to mention you make a great IPA. Having one now.

1 hour ago, woahboy said:

Need to mention you make a great IPA. Having one now.

Had to google that one.  The Sculpin on their web page for the beer is a lot nicer looking than the ones lurking around under wharves in these parts...

• Like 1
19 hours ago, py26129 said:

Visuals: 

Number 36 of One Hundred and One uses for an old circular saw blade, winter iced lake propulsion/ice shaver.   Right between hunting/self defense Frisbee of death (Number 35) and Man Wind Chimes (Number 37).

- Stumbling

21 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

Getting back to mocking, Tad Roberts apparently saw this for sale someplace.

56481841_2307619392894658_96319920986600

That engine has quite the supporting cast. At least there's lots of room.

Oh God. What's the bet at least 50% of those wires etc go nowhere and do nothing. I'd want to rip the lot out and start again.

FKT

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

What's the bet at least 50% of those wires etc go nowhere and do nothing.

Likewise for the hoses. If not, what the hell are they all for?

A depraved mind has been at work here.

2 minutes ago, seabell said:

Likewise for the hoses. If not, what the hell are they all for?

A depraved mind has been at work here.

Looks like life support 

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Oh God. What's the bet at least 50% of those wires etc go nowhere and do nothing. I'd want to rip the lot out and start again.

FKT

I'd want to rip the lot out and leave it out.

4 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Oh God. What's the bet at least 50% of those wires etc go nowhere and do nothing.

That is the best case scenario. 

Made me actually feel better about the mess I had to deal with in updating the wiring! It is BTW recommended to not run wires through the engine room if it can be avoided...

Just now, AnotherSailor said:

That is the best case scenario. 

Made me actually feel better about the mess I had to deal with in updating the wiring! It is BTW recommended to not run wires through the engine room if it can be avoided...

Which, of course, as a matter of practicality, it can't. Given that's where the power systems start.....

My wiring is all in conduit or spiral wrap and secured, preferably to the deck head. The only wires running under the cabin sole are the bilge pumps and the echosounder transducer cabling.

I have a nice Brother labeling machine that prints on heat shrink as well as flat tape so I have no excuse for wires without labels.

FKT

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Zonker said:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/gabriola-35-bluewater-sailboat-project/6861164518.html

35' Bluewater Sailboat Project - $20000 (Gabriola Island)

This is a project boat with the floor and bulkheads installed and the majority of the interior roughed in. 

At least the seller is being honest...

00I0I_hlZwJRtbAyd_1200x900.jpg

Looks 85% complete to me.

2 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

Looks 85% complete to me.

One would hope for at least one nautical accessory mounted in the unfinished cabin to get to the magic 85% but I'll give it a pass due to the sheer number of proper brass portholes, and the notion that if this thing really was started in 1988, it's properly well seasoned. 

• Like 1

This is impressive:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-free-tanzer-22/6862610132.html

Please read this listing carefully. We are giving away a totally functional 22 foot tanzer sailboat. It comes with 
a decent main and 2 jibs. We have sailed this boat for over decade but recently acquired a bigger boat. New style rudder and newer tiller. Anchor and rope and assorted bits and pieces. Price does not include moorage or motor. If you wanted to buy it with a motor we have a ten year old Yamaha 9.9 four stroke high thrust. Current value on that motor is around $1500 but we would sell as package for $1000 obo. Will include battery and fuel tank. Can throw in a couple of life jackets if you need. Needs a little TLC but still a solid boat. Hate to see it go to the crusher. Test sail possible for serious buyer. I will post some better pics after I take the winter tarps and give it a bit of a wash. Bottom is a couple of years old. Not great but not like dragging carpet around either. These are fun fast boats great for daysailing but you can overnight on them as well

The key point is that you pay $1500 for the motor by itself but if you take the boat you can get it for $1000. I'm not mocking the lister as this is a proper honest ad, but it does underline where the market is at for small and old-ish sailing craft.

Maybe things are different up there but a ten year old ten horse engine can't be sold for $1,500 around here.

6 hours ago, Zonker said:

I kind of like it. It seems to have one too many portlights.

It might bring that price if completed. As is? Far less than the value of the engine if you just remove and sell it.

7 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Are those cleats or ladder rungs?

Oh, wait, wrong thread...

Multi tiered bull rail. All hail.

• Like 2

I think the price for that motor is optimistic. Our sailing co-op has 6 Catalina 27's, all powered by Yamaha 9.9 high thrust (electric start, X-long shaft). Retail new is about $4500 Canuck bucks. We sell one off each year at 6 years old for about $1500.

15 minutes ago, Importunate Tom said:

Not really all that mockworthy but overpriced a bit and has that magic number.

85% complete

In this case, that means you get this

00d0d_gIPIkkcmsC5_1200x900.jpg

And this

01111_30vAj8xms2P_1200x900.jpg

At least with the Glen-L you get a mast.  You need a boat to get to the project on Gabriola island. It seems sad, that one. More than thirty years old and never kissed the water.  

24 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

85% is wildly optimistic. It does have the potential to actually sail in this lifetime though.

So your saying it has an 85% chance of sailing in this lifetime?

Nice old boat until you get to this pic of clashing fabric and busyness. Sure to offend Bull City and others.

How hard can it be to pull those off and get rid of the Walmart mats. Yes we know where they are from.

Oh, wait...you think I shop at Wally's now...:wacko:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/bellingham-irwin-37-sailboat/6862151860.html

00T0T_9TuTf5abeOg_600x450.jpg

So your saying it has an 85% chance of sailing in this lifetime?

Depends on the (potential) buyer, I 'spose.

Epiphany!!! The next dreamer that wants to build a world cruiser could be sentenced to finishing this project. That would be a wake up call, LOL.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I'd say more like a 15% chance.

Unfortunately that is closer to the truth. 
I'd like to see it turned into a parent-child project. Buy it for $500 procure new fiberglass, resin, paint and consumables and if lucky be all in for $1,000. 

Nice old boat until you get to this pic of clashing fabric and busyness. Sure to offend Bull City and others.

How hard can it be to pull those off and get rid of the Walmart mats. Yes we know where they are from.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/bellingham-irwin-37-sailboat/6862151860.html

00T0T_9TuTf5abeOg_600x450.jpg

Somebody is on blue micro dot again.

• Like 2
On 4/14/2019 at 12:28 PM, Norse Horse said:

The mizzen can be removed without affecting balance or performance.

A 6' tall person can't stand in the galley.

They're sorta nice but Irwin attempted to stuff a 42 footer into 37 feet and it doesn't quite fit.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:
1 hour ago, Monkey Butler said:

Not sure how mockable this is. Does anyone know what it is?

57417855_10156264321368946_7701789866912120832_n.jpg.4f2f017b6c24876271b16dff51769986.jpg

Com-Pac 16 ? If so, sturdy construction, under-rigged. 

Exactly! Trailer appears to be decent.

Using a propane bottle as a sawhorse is not recommended.

FB- Doug

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Exactly! Trailer appears to be decent.

Using a propane bottle as a sawhorse is not recommended.

FB- Doug

Is FloTec or Amtrol (water well) pressure tank.

super_zoom.jpg?c=1525345206

Still a shitty sawhorse.

• Like 2