Mocking Ads on Craigslist

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Sauron -- who was even then the lieutenant of Melkor, though passing fair to look upon -- urged Cirdan to build his craft of a new stuff. Hard and strong as stone it was, yet lighter; and many were th

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, woahboy said:

Who is this Roberts designer I see a lot of recently?

BITD when U-Build boats were a big thing he was the king of stock plan designers. He still has a web presence the last I looked.

In the 70's he had a number of pretty nice looking designs - all way obsolete now. Somewhere in the 80's he went way off the rails and started producing really ugly boats - huge poop decks and the like.

The entire industry is pretty much a thing of the past now - why build when you can get a boat for virtually free?

4 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I'm intrigued by the GMC truck.   At first I though it was some prospectors camper, but upon closer inspection, it has a number of base loaded antenna and an exhaust with a muffler up on the left top edge of the box on the back.   Prepper escape vehicle, Area 51 observatory, industrial pizza truck?   Who knows...

- Stumbling

Probably an old logging crummy.  SOP to re-rout exhaust from off-road work vehicles to avoid starting grass fires.  Although more common here in wheat country. That one is over on the coast.  

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The entire industry is pretty much a thing of the past now - why build when you can get a boat for virtually free?

Because there are still a lot of idiots in the world.....

FKT

On 7/18/2019 at 6:55 PM, toddster said:

00V0V_59vYY4yVYQD_1200x900.jpg

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/d/portland-columbia-29-sailboat-1500-obo/6936559913.html

"Columbia 29 is tied to a tree on the east side of Ross Island. It’s on the water it floats. I’d you find it send me a pic so I can assure it’s mine and I’ll tell you all about it..."

Oh wait... he want's you to pay to haul this away?  :wacko:

Pretty sure the most valuable thing on that boat is the blue tarp in the cockpit.

Here's a hot deal for some East Coaster. Get it at High tide she says...

Screenshot_2019-07-20 30ft cabin cruiser.png

• Like 1

What is it with trees falling boats?* One in Portland, one in Boston... 

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/d/plymouth-west-white-potter-15/6937587194.html

*: Yeah, I know trees grow up big and tall, then they come down. It's kinda the nature of trees, really. What goes up must come down, eventually. But what's with the folk parking their boats under trees? And no, it's not docking or mooring or tying them up, neither. Anyone puts a boat somewhere that a tree's likely to come down on it, they parked it there. Eedgits. 

1 hour ago, The Lucky One said:

What is it with trees falling boats?* One in Portland, one in Boston... 

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/d/plymouth-west-white-potter-15/6937587194.html

*: Yeah, I know trees grow up big and tall, then they come down. It's kinda the nature of trees, really. What goes up must come down, eventually. But what's with the folk parking their boats under trees? And no, it's not docking or mooring or tying them up, neither. Anyone puts a boat somewhere that a tree's likely to come down on it, they parked it there. Eedgits. 

Broken Potter-y

or how to add more shear to the wee West Wight Potter...

00p0p_h5p6KYX1FuN_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

Who wouldn't want a boat with a crowsnest or a full size fireplace? Lovely but...  Someone with deep pockets or a lot of time to see this project through. https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-staysail-schooner/6923858841.html

01515_llTbQrNO5Ag_600x450.jpg

That thing has been around here for a long time. It used to be painted black with "gun ports" painted around the hull ports.

It was painfully slow - I could have literally sailed circles around it in my Quarter Pounder.

10 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Who wouldn't want a boat with a crowsnest or a full size fireplace? Lovely but...  Someone with deep pockets or a lot of time to see this project through. https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-staysail-schooner/6923858841.html

01515_llTbQrNO5Ag_600x450.jpg

Another 85%er.   Probably closer to 50%.

- Stumbling

On 7/17/2019 at 6:36 AM, oldfurr said:

For all the super cool dudes here's a super cool dudes fishing boat!! Only $5000 to buy it now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/tactical-cat-XFG/401813706077?hash=item5d8df6955d:g:pjwAAOSwVZBdJLD-

Dig that spoiler man, it must add 10 knots all by itself! With steeling wheel to turn the motor, a mint sink to wash your hands and... and I can't reformulate the ad into something better than it already is so here's the ad copy:

fucking mess.jpg

fucking mess2.jpg

Somehow one would think that if Batman was to sell his hardware, he'd be part of the non-mocking topic. But his standards have taken a hit, it seems.

000367917_illustration_large.jpg

3 hours ago, leuk said:

Somehow one would think that if Batman was to sell his hardware, he'd be part of the non-mocking topic. But his standards have taken a hit, it seems.

000367917_illustration_large.jpg

I miss this one
Image result for batmobile

28 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I find that ad offensive.

Why oh why, must people butcher sailboats for these sorts of experiments? Surely there are countless cuddy cabin cruisers with dead engines that he could have chosen?

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Why oh why, must people butcher sailboats for these sorts of experiments? Surely there are countless cuddy cabin cruisers with dead engines that he could have chosen?

More than likely because sailboat’s displacement hulls are so much easier to drive with minimum power.  Same reason so many loopers recommend doing the loop on a sailboat with the mast lowered.  Same route, roughly same speed, 1/4 the diesel used.  Of course, many loopers must be flush with cash because they love ploughing through the waterways in their trawlers at close to planning speed.  (Or to say, well above hull speed but never on a plane cause they can’t) 

What the world (doesn't really) need is an app to connect the 85% complete trimaran projects like that one that they were fundraising for to get the boat out of the garden of the guy who died in the wall collapse accident, and connect them with people with dubious experimental boat projects. Trimarans would seem particularly well suited for solar boats with the large surface area. 

Speaking of which I'd love to get an update on the giant party trimaran those Brisbane guys motored across the pacific. Now there was a good re-purposing...

12 hours ago, leuk said:

Vintage fan, are we? Lucky you, look what I found for you!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-surrey-28985682

There was a bat boat parked on a trailer out on the western end of Gandy Causeway (Pinellas Park side) for 15 years back in the 1970s.   As a kid, it was a highlight to see it as I passed in the backseat of my parents car whenever we transited that bridge to go to the beach!   I wish I had taken a picture of it at some point while it was there.

- Stumbling

20 hours ago, Ajax said:

I don't think this one got a proper mocking. There's a lot to take in here

Free Boat (Essex) hide this posting

00M0M_k0kdxQCdUJE_600x450.jpg

9 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

There was a bat boat parked on a trailer out on the western end of Gandy Causeway (Pinellas Park side) for 15 years back in the 1970s.   As a kid, it was a highlight to see it as I passed in the backseat of my parents car whenever we transited that bridge to go to the beach!   I wish I had taken a picture of it at some point while it was there.

- Stumbling

There has been a mockable Frankensteinian creation parked for years next to an I5 cloverleaf on-ramp.  I've never (so far) tried to take a photo because I'm not sure that I can, without causing a 20-car pile-up.  

4 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

I'll play. 

Is there a more inefficient way to transfer mechanical energy (a rotating shaft) to propulsion than a stern wheel?  Especially one that looks like it is made of two sheets of plywood with some pine boards in between?  

The plastic bag on the electric motor is a nice touch.  

1 hour ago, bugger said:

Especially one that looks like it is made of two sheets of plywood with some pine boards in between?  

And painted pink.  And then there's the junkstore in the trunk...

5 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Forgive if this beauty has already made the list.  Trailer really does not appear too bad.  Boat could be utilized for the study of new species of plant life.  

https://pensacola.craigslist.org/boa/d/pensacola-82-seaforth-24-sailboat/6938172446.html

AF32DE85-B078-4523-AD01-5C59D0CA06D1.jpeg

Is writing like this guy's ad what is allowed to pass through our school system,  (and this isn't the worst example by far), or is it just goofs from using a tiny cell phone key board and he's too lazy to correct it?  Not sure I'd want to deal with a person like this unless I really wanted his stuff. 

A few trash bags, garden hose nozzle, wet vac and half hour are all thats needed to make this shot half decent.  Too much to ask for a (cough, cough) $2000 payout I guess.  Though the trailer might worth that.   Is this person trying to sell this boat or trolling to irritate folks like me. 

OTOH I think its kind of a cute, reminds me of my dads old ~50's sloop.1357408968_ScreenShot2019-07-24at12_35_05AM.thumb.png.a7162ea16fc66fd3efba0069359dbe43.png

21 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Reminds me of the US Life Saving Service's "Life Car."  The USLSS pre-dates the Coast Guard and Revenue Cutter Service.  The Life Car was something that they experimented with.

https://www.obsentinel.com/opinion/inside-the-archives-the-tale-of-the-life-cars/article_d63a3648-dd57-11e4-a7cf-7fa0bc852460.html

34 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

It seems to be in good company: a pile of shit that refuses to decompose. 

The add says it is cute, even "the cutest" so perhaps I am a little harsh...

Around here we call that the "laydown yard" if it has a fence around it.  Otherwise, it's the "resource pile."

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AnotherSailor said:
3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

It seems to be in good company: a pile of shit that refuses to decompose. 

The add says it is cute, even "the cutest" so perhaps I am a little harsh...

That's looks like a relic of the Apollo program, brought out while the market is hot

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

That's looks like a relic of the Apollo program, brought out while the market is hot

It’s the shore party dinghy that is hidden under the heat shield of the Apollo capsule.   Also doubles as a last chance heat shield in case the primary burns through.  

- Stumbling 

18 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

It’s the shore party dinghy that is hidden under the heat shield of the Apollo capsule.

So that's where Frank Borman took a crap immediately after landing! He said he held it rather than use the Defecation Collection Device.

Eager to move up to a bigger boat. She is a perfect lil vessel. She needs some minor fiberglassing on hull and more in cockpit, where cut to remove engine. No engine, previous owner pulled it. All riggings and sails in great shape. Asking $2000 or best offer. Located in Punta Gorda FL, currently in dry-dock at an awesome “DIY” marina, almost any needed part can be found here and great storage fees.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Irwin-10-4/133124857841?hash=item1efedc1ff1:g:xoUAAOSwb2hdOyK8

Only asking $2000, I don't know if the potted plant  ̶i̶ ̶n̶ ̶ ̶ ̶t̶ ̶h̶ ̶e̶ ̶ ̶ ̶c̶ ̶o̶ ̶c̶ ̶k̶ ̶p̶ ̶i̶ ̶t̶  on the porch is a useful type, but the trailer house stairs can be moved to service the a/c OR load the oven back into the  ̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶ ̶o̶ ̶n̶  living room so that's cool and only minor fibreglass repair needed where the "PO" removed the engine and  ̶c̶̶u̶̶r̶̶r̶̶e̶̶n̶̶t̶̶l̶̶y̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶r̶̶y̶̶-̶̶d̶̶o̶̶c̶̶k̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶w̶̶e̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶“̶̶D̶̶I̶̶Y̶̶”̶̶ ̶̶m̶̶a̶̶r̶̶i̶̶n̶̶a̶  parked in a nice trailer park. Get the good life living while you can folks!

potted plant irwin.jpg

living room irwin.jpg

living room 2  irwin.jpg

trailer steps irwin.jpg

ac irwin.jpg

oven 2 irwin.jpg

1 hour ago, oldfurr said:

Eager to move up to a bigger boat. She is a perfect lil vessel. She needs some minor fiberglassing on hull and more in cockpit, where cut to remove engine. No engine, previous owner pulled it. All riggings and sails in great shape. Asking $2000 or best offer. Located in Punta Gorda FL, currently in dry-dock at an awesome “DIY” marina, almost any needed part can be found here and great storage fees.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Irwin-10-4/133124857841?hash=item1efedc1ff1:g:xoUAAOSwb2hdOyK8

Only asking $2000, I don't know if the potted plant  ̶i̶ ̶n̶ ̶ ̶ ̶t̶ ̶h̶ ̶e̶ ̶ ̶ ̶c̶ ̶o̶ ̶c̶ ̶k̶ ̶p̶ ̶i̶ ̶t̶  on the porch is a useful type, but the trailer house stairs can be moved to service the a/c OR load the oven back into the  ̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶ ̶o̶ ̶n̶  living room so that's cool and only minor fibreglass repair needed where the "PO" removed the engine and  ̶c̶̶u̶̶r̶̶r̶̶e̶̶n̶̶t̶̶l̶̶y̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶r̶̶y̶̶-̶̶d̶̶o̶̶c̶̶k̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶w̶̶e̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶“̶̶D̶̶I̶̶Y̶̶”̶̶ ̶̶m̶̶a̶̶r̶̶i̶̶n̶̶a̶  parked in a nice trailer park. Get the good life living while you can folks!

potted plant irwin.jpg

living room irwin.jpg

living room 2  irwin.jpg

trailer steps irwin.jpg

ac irwin.jpg

oven 2 irwin.jpg

Perfect for when your mobile home gets repossessed.

Make sure to bring your pet snake, minor rat infestation but nothing serious

FB- Doug

• Like 1

So much sadness in that photo...  People and the boat are in a bad state.   

Around here, the homeless camps get periodically cleaned up with dumpsters full of stuff.  These folks probably were one rung above, and can't pay the yard fee.

There is more of a story here, and I'm not sure I want to hear it.   Boat probably doesn't have a title either.

• Like 2
On 7/23/2019 at 6:55 AM, Israel Hands said:

Free Boat (Essex) hide this posting

Winner. A pink Home Depot paddle wheel justified by mock indignation of Tesla...

Perhaps the stiffest 14 foot sailboat ever built, combine with a squat sail plan. How much fun can that be? What kind of a wave is that? The wood pile in the pic is a foreboding added touch. The fish hook logo seems apt.

https://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/boa/d/mapleton-14-sailboat/6924510553.html

3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

The last of my troika of treasures...the Kanuckistani spinnaker sales photo deep in the US of A. 

A punchline eludes me right now...

https://klamath.craigslist.org/boa/d/klamath-falls-san-juan-21-mach-1600-obo/6931657970.html

It's a lure for the plentiful K Falls mosquitoes, makes 'em think they'll be gettin' some strange.

• Like 1
On 7/22/2019 at 1:14 PM, Ajax said:

Surely there are countless cuddy cabin cruisers with dead engines that he could have chosen?

On 7/22/2019 at 2:04 PM, Santana20AE said:

More than likely because sailboat’s displacement hulls are so much easier to drive with minimum power.

Another reason to attach this experiment to a sailboat hull is because the keel will provide some needed stability to resist that heavy solar “roof”, especially in any sort of breeze.

A friend went to see a houseboat at a local marina this spring. The owner had added a second story onto the thing and it was now top-heavy and massive surface area, and any non-moderate breeze would topple it into the water.

The marina and the neighbors wanted it GONE !!! (:-)

Collector Alert....is that a warning?

The ultimate dinghy-SUP-kayak-tender-sportfishr...same weight as a rib and motor but no need for the engine mount on your pushpit, paddle it for your workout, jet powered kayak to ferry groceries and flats of beverages with on it's generous deck which also attracts the shallow water fishers. Enough room for prawn traps on that.https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/langley-collectors-alert-175-hp-jet/6946583735.html

http://stikboats.com/

00u0u_3xKiZNUnRkN_600x450.jpg

That looks like the jet kayak that an old guy who was a serial customer at the dealership where I used to work once owned. He had very eclectic tastes and a yuge boating budget and an appetite for fun that I hope I have at his age. He seemed to enjoy it. Kept it longer than he kept the various boats he bought where I worked.

I like the Johnson outboard.  As far as the rest, it looks like chainsaw material to me.  One could spend a fair days wage in Soft Scrub alone just to get the dirt off of the deck.  

If they were to pay me a couple grand, I might take it off of thier hands.  If, and that is a big IF, it could be cut out of the jungle.  

A few hours with a pressure washer and you'd be at the 85% complete stage.

Looks like a good candidate for a kid - like the Free Boat thread about the kid in Holland. Learn a lot, get a lot of satisfaction and build some sweat equity. It's a pretty small boat so nothing about it will be overwhelming.

• Like 1

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/boa/d/surrey-inner-northwest-come-get-her-wet/6952887704.html

Deepest darkest Surrey ad...."come get her wet"......

It might take a six pack to fall in love with her, but she has some beauty in a seaplane kind of way.

00808_8xBjy60UUuZ_600x450.jpg

Beautiful boat.
She's gonna sell fast.
Come get her wet.

show contact info 

Ryan

Ryan, you truly have a gift for advertising prose.  In a Haiku sort of way.

Features (needs benefits though)

Sense or urgency

Call to action

17 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

I like the Johnson outboard.  As far as the rest, it looks like chainsaw material to me.  One could spend a fair days wage in Soft Scrub alone just to get the dirt off of the deck.  

If they were to pay me a couple grand, I might take it off of thier hands.  If, and that is a big IF, it could be cut out of the jungle.  

Yeah, those Sailmasters were beasts.  I'd be tempted to take the outboard and the chair it's mounted to, put some styrofoam floats on the bottom of the legs, and call it a win.

High performance sailing for the masses.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-10-ft-Trimaran-Sailing-Dinghy/254323487594?hash=item3b36dc736a:g:BRoAAOSwMUtdSsHB

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Loads of fun for a retiree or anyone looking to tinker with and mess about with a comfortable, unsinkable, trimaran sailing dinghy!

The outriggers come apart easily, held by 3 s.s. bolts each. 
The total weight of the boat and sailing rig is only about 125 lbs. Main hull is about 100 lbs. She fits, taken apart, in a pickup truck bed or - if kept all rigged-up- on a landscaper's 5x8 trailer.
There are skid runners on her bottom so that she can be easily launched from a beach (or pushed down a ramp) without messing up the hull.

I used the sailing rig ( rudder, tiller, keel roller, wooden spars and tanbark sails) from a British Seahopper dinghy I own. The original 2014 California title for the Seahopper could be used to register this dinghy if you plan to add a motor on the transom. 
So, my Seahopper was repurposed into this epoxy/plywood trimaran dinghy of my own design (lots of fun doing it). All she needs now is a fresh coat of paint, some TLC, and your own creativity and imagination!

The spars are varnished wood, and the tanbark sails are in very good, crisp condition, EXCEPT: a rodent took a small bite out of the leech of each sail while they were rolled up in storage in my barn!  (2.5 in. x 1/2 in. in the jib and 2.5 in x 2 in. in the main). Thank goodness I noticed in time!

On 8/11/2019 at 3:35 PM, Schnappi said:

Loads of fun for a retiree or anyone looking to tinker with and mess about with a comfortable, unsinkable, trimaran sailing dinghy!

or anyone who cannot pass up a yard/garage sale, or is a metal detectorist, or has built or is considering building a large ferro boat or BS steel boat in their backyard, or anyone with way too much time one their hands.

On 8/11/2019 at 10:35 PM, Schnappi said:

High performance sailing for the masses.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-10-ft-Trimaran-Sailing-Dinghy/254323487594?hash=item3b36dc736a:g:BRoAAOSwMUtdSsHB

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The outriggers come apart easily, held by 3 s.s. bolts each. 
The total weight of the boat and sailing rig is only about 125 lbs. Main hull is about 100 lbs. She fits, taken apart, in a pickup truck bed or - if kept all rigged-up- on a landscaper's 5x8 trailer.
There are skid runners on her bottom so that she can be easily launched from a beach (or pushed down a ramp) without messing up the hull.

I used the sailing rig ( rudder, tiller, keel roller, wooden spars and tanbark sails) from a British Seahopper dinghy I own. The original 2014 California title for the Seahopper could be used to register this dinghy if you plan to add a motor on the transom. 
So, my Seahopper was repurposed into this epoxy/plywood trimaran dinghy of my own design (lots of fun doing it). All she needs now is a fresh coat of paint, some TLC, and your own creativity and imagination!

The spars are varnished wood, and the tanbark sails are in very good, crisp condition, EXCEPT: a rodent took a small bite out of the leech of each sail while they were rolled up in storage in my barn!  (2.5 in. x 1/2 in. in the jib and 2.5 in x 2 in. in the main). Thank goodness I noticed in time!

Distilled-> For getting nowhere fast, buy this boat.

- Stumbling