Jump to content

Mocking Ads on Craigslist


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

No, no, you've got it all wrong. My comment about only doing one circumnavigation was an example of what people call "false modesty". Or "Irony". Look it up sometime. You're just another grifter

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

While we have seen some Salvador Dali surrealism earlier, this has a more Nordic display of anguish to me:

the-scream.jpg

 

Put the boat out of its misery!

- Stumbling

I see a bull rail.:ph34r:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not the first time, nor will it likely be the last, that I see someone cover their boat with something, then post it for sale with inadequate info.  

This pile of crap has been on CL for a long time.  https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/santa-rosa-small-sail-boat-sail-and/7011834615.html

Is that a milk crate?

 

Asking $200

 

 

fullsizeoutput_ceb.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

A golden opportunity for a company wanting to penetrate the market. 

Yeah - you'd literally have several big swinging dicks on your boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be interesting to see this boat in the flesh, being within bicycle range.  

Knowing that time projections to complete projects are always tripled or worse, I question a few weekends.  

https://pensacola.craigslist.org/boa/d/niceville-1979-kells-23-foot-sailboat/7010341242.html

EECF047B-F752-43E1-9AF8-27939F144891.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

It would be interesting to see this boat in the flesh, being within bicycle range.  

Knowing that time projections to complete projects are always tripled or worse, I question a few weekends.  

https://pensacola.craigslist.org/boa/d/niceville-1979-kells-23-foot-sailboat/7010341242.html

EECF047B-F752-43E1-9AF8-27939F144891.jpeg

Yeah, " Someone with a little knowledge of fiberglass work and willing to put in a few weekends of diligent elbow grease should have little trouble making her seaworthy. "

Doncha love ads saying 'It will be easy and inexpensive to fix up this broken junk!' yeah sure. If it was so quick and easy, why didn't YOU do it and sell it for more money?

At least this particular boat seems to be on a nice... slightly undersized... trailer

FB- Doug

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yeah, " Someone with a little knowledge of fiberglass work and willing to put in a few weekends of diligent elbow grease should have little trouble making her seaworthy. "

Doncha love ads saying 'It will be easy and inexpensive to fix up this broken junk!' yeah sure. If it was so quick and easy, why didn't YOU do it and sell it for more money?

At least this particular boat seems to be on a nice... slightly undersized... trailer

FB- Doug

At least this particular boat seems to be on a nice... slightly undersized... trailer

With bent axle.  I notice a slight camber issue.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Therapy said:

At least this particular boat seems to be on a nice... slightly undersized... trailer

With bent axle.  I notice a slight camber issue.

Let us hope it is the use of a wide angle lens causing the Picture to distort.  Hate seeing the one really usable part of the sale item to be worthless.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

" I have since caulked ~85% of the deck and have eliminated all but a couple leaks. I have cleaned out all the mold I could find. "

01212_lfLB949sgL_600x450.jpg

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/vallejo-1970-cheoy-lee-27-power-and/7013334338.html

So 85% of the deck has been re-caulked?

Definitely time to sell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

This one gets a minor mock for the typo. Love the sharpie and the yellow mast.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/boa/d/annapolis-meadowlark-sailboat18d-37l/7006624546.html

" shipmate wood stove, can burn wood or coat. "

1

 

I don't understand the mockery, I'm sure that Shipmate stove can burn your coat. 

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 12:22 PM, Ajax said:

OMFG, that would be hilarious on our annual "man cruise."

.....until they get squished between the boat and the dock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

 

I don't understand the mockery, I'm sure that Shipmate stove can burn your coat. 

FB- Doug

I think he meant coal.

No mock for ruining that green with yellow lee boards?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Norse Horse said:
On 11/10/2019 at 4:52 PM, Steam Flyer said:

I don't understand the mockery, I'm sure that Shipmate stove can burn your coat. 

 

I think he meant coal.

No mock for ruining that green with yellow lee boards?

 

I had a boat with a little Shipmate and it would burn anything. Definitely including a coat.

He probably did mean to say "coal." Maybe the boat is originally from West Virginia? And he painted the leeboards yellow because they reminded him of his ma's teeth?

FB- Doug

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 3:54 PM, MauiPunter said:

Ok, this isnt Craigslist, but on the venerable YachtWorld, but I have to wonder, whose genius idea was it to install the chart plotter near the floor at calf height adjacent to the wheel. This is on a Grand Soleil 54. 

7176121_20190808004044457_1_XLARGE.jpg

is there one on each side,   while sitting on the high side , you get a view of the plotter..   that is , if you bother to put the sails up..

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 4:52 PM, Steam Flyer said:

 

I don't understand the mockery, I'm sure that Shipmate stove can burn your coat. 

FB- Doug

Agree there should be a lot of calories in a boiled, oiled wool garment. Probably an evening's worth but you might be chilly the next morning with no top layer.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

is there one on each side,   while sitting on the high side , you get a view of the plotter..   that is , if you bother to put the sails up..

No.  Just that side.  I don't think my eyes would see much from across the cockpit.  :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

is there one on each side,   while sitting on the high side , you get a view of the plotter..   that is , if you bother to put the sails up..

May as well have it down below and wifi to your phone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This was listed for auction recently so not sure if someone's trying to flip it and make a buck or what, but here's a 45 year old, 30' IOR race boat asking $8500. But might be fun for a bit of club racing, right? Oh, except for this detail!

NB this boat DOES NOT include sails , but they are readily available locally , new and used.

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/oak-bay-south-cc-30-half-ton-custom/7018850070.html

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the C&C 33 that was up for auction is also on the market.

Maybe some good deals were had.

The guy with the 1/2 Tonner is dreaming in technicolour - it was auctioned after being on the market for years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, andykane said:

This was listed for auction recently so not sure if someone's trying to flip it and make a buck or what, but here's a 45 year old, 30' IOR race boat asking $8500. But might be fun for a bit of club racing, right? Oh, except for this detail!

NB this boat DOES NOT include sails , but they are readily available locally , new and used.

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/oak-bay-south-cc-30-half-ton-custom/7018850070.html

 

Wow. All used boats have sails...uv'd and aged to rags and  stained like they were used to dispose of a body but sails none the less.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, chester said:
1 hour ago, andykane said:

This was listed for auction recently so not sure if someone's trying to flip it and make a buck or what, but here's a 45 year old, 30' IOR race boat asking $8500. But might be fun for a bit of club racing, right? Oh, except for this detail!

NB this boat DOES NOT include sails , but they are readily available locally , new and used.

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/oak-bay-south-cc-30-half-ton-custom/7018850070.html

 

Wow. All used boats have sails...uv'd and aged to rags and  stained like they were used to dispose of a body but sails none the less.

We had a good lesson in the value of old used sails this fall... putting a class of kids in fixed up old Oday Javelins, half of which have relatively new-ish (six years old but built for hard use) and the other half have... well... these

DSCN9674op1.jpg

Taken from http://nbnjrotc-sail.blogspot.com/   Apologies if it seems I mention this too much.

30 ~35 years old and not aged well. The boats would kinda go almost close hauled, but the boats with the newer sails definitely had an advantage

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

We had a good lesson in the value of old used sails this fall... putting a class of kids in fixed up old Oday Javelins, half of which have relatively new-ish (six years old but built for hard use) and the other half have... well... these

DSCN9674op1.jpg

Taken from http://nbnjrotc-sail.blogspot.com/   Apologies if it seems I mention this too much.

30 ~35 years old and not aged well. The boats would kinda go almost close hauled, but the boats with the newer sails definitely had an advantage

FB- Doug

That is a tough call.  Sometimes giving kids the very best from the start kind a spoils them when things don’t go well.  Sometimes giving kids semi junk helps them learn to “Improvise and overcome.”  (If not totally frustrated and disgusted and causing them to quit)

When our son was skiing and was competitive nationally, I always made sure he had the very best ski I could afford.  Now, that i help out with children’s triathlons and am personally competing in Senior Olympic cycling, I CRINGE at what I see parents putting thier children on at these triathlons. And yes, I have seen children injured when cheap, rusty, worn out, un-maintained bikes came apart on them.  so

That said, it is a tough call.  But Safe equipment always trumps cheap or fast.  (When it comes to our kids) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bmiller said:

I can see it painted rust colored with a Quad .50 sticking out of that rear gun turret and appearing on 

WATERWORLD

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bmiller said:

I admire mock (sorry, wrong thread) the fussiness having the snap-on UV covers for the "port lights" on such a monstrosity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bmiller said:

I feel deeply sorry for everyone in that marina.  Seeing that bobbing suppository would would make me a little bit sad every time I went out to my boat.  Maybe the high price is an attempt to extort his dock mates into pooling resources to make it an artificial reef.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Just needs some wakeboat speakers on the hard dodger to complete the mock.

Related image

 

Speaker enclosures styled as beer cans.

Perfect social commentary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Just needs some wakeboat speakers on the hard dodger to complete the mock.

Related image

Isn't that a wood cleat on the dodger 2x4? Such a humble beginning for the word...

YUK! YUK!  YUK!  These are the nasty things that ruin so many of our peaceful sails on the Lake.  Don’t have that worry on the Bay or in the Gulf.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

YUK! YUK!  YUK!  These are the nasty things that ruin so many of our peaceful sails on the Lake.  Don’t have that worry on the Bay or in the Gulf.  

Sailing in New England, we dont have to worry about this nonsense. It's rarely calm enough for anything like this.  The worst we get is the occasional cigarette boat that blasts by off into oblivion.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll wager none of you were aware that stock teak mouldings were no longer available anywhere in the world.

image.png.7c307b215a0d922f03c60317fc4807a4.png

Teak moldings 5 ft to 8 ft length of solid wood from 45 years ago. price from $ 45 a piece to $ 125, this material not available anywhere else in the world. if you own a yacht you may need teak

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

I'll wager none of you were aware that stock teak mouldings were no longer available anywhere in the world.

image.png.7c307b215a0d922f03c60317fc4807a4.png

Teak moldings 5 ft to 8 ft length of solid wood from 45 years ago. price from $ 45 a piece to $ 125, this material not available anywhere else in the world. if you own a yacht you may need teak

They should double their prices with these rare items

Link to post
Share on other sites

:(

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I'll wager none of you were aware that stock teak mouldings were no longer available anywhere in the world.

image.png.7c307b215a0d922f03c60317fc4807a4.png

Teak moldings 5 ft to 8 ft length of solid wood from 45 years ago. price from $ 45 a piece to $ 125, this material not available anywhere else in the world. if you own a yacht you may need teak

My wife has some Elvis commemorative plates that are not available anywhere else in the world...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

:(

My wife has some Elvis commemorative plates that are not available anywhere else in the world...

Wow! Made of teak? I used to have this great big Elvis commemorative plate, it was square and made of this fuzzy cloth. I had a girlfriend that ran it thru the dishwasher, roont the dang thing.

That was years before Mrs Steam of course, she would never do that

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

That "fuzzy commemorative plate" was a velvet painting. :D

Ah yes, the famous "Velvet Elvis".  Many have adorned trailer parks around the country.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This one is already reduced by $2K. It was the auction boat a couple of weeks back. Looks like someone is going to learn a hard lesson in the economics of boat flipping.

I like the "sails have been located and are available locally".

image.png.58972ee727df7d98316d8ebfe480af3e.png

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/oak-bay-south-cc-30-half-ton-custom/7020908944.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

This one is already reduced by $2K. It was the auction boat a couple of weeks back. Looks like someone is going to learn a hard lesson in the economics of boat flipping.

I like the "sails have been located and are available locally".

image.png.58972ee727df7d98316d8ebfe480af3e.png

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/oak-bay-south-cc-30-half-ton-custom/7020908944.html

Can check the expiry date on the extinguisher regularly this way...:D

01717_93kafGi2HiL_600x450.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a WWP but with a cabin from a 26fter fitted.

Some kind of cruel eye candy for dreamers who have looked at several thousand 1960's plan books and chose this to spend countless hours on, then find out nobody really wants to buy it.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/d/campbell-kit-sail-boat/7020046643.html

1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, if you butt catches fire, you certainly want a fire extinguisher handy

I call that thinking ahead!

FB- Doug

I see the joker valve failing 5 minutes before a stove fire...:o

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Looks like a WWP but with a cabin from a 26fter fitted.

Some kind of cruel eye candy for dreamers who have looked at several thousand 1960's plan books and chose this to spend countless hours on, then find out nobody really wants to buy it.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/d/campbell-kit-sail-boat/7020046643.html

1

Other than that wow in the sheer under the gennie block that appears to have been decently built.

I wonder when those trailer tire were "new" - when he started on the boat?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Looks like a WWP but with a cabin from a 26fter fitted.

Some kind of cruel eye candy for dreamers who have looked at several thousand 1960's plan books and chose this to spend countless hours on, then find out nobody really wants to buy it.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/d/campbell-kit-sail-boat/7020046643.html

1

Well now, a quick sand and stain and she’ll be ready to float. But for how long?  Even interior staining carries a recommendation of a coat of satin varnish before use.  I think I’ll pass.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

Well now, a quick sand and stain and she’ll be ready to float. But for how long?  Even interior staining carries a recommendation of a coat of satin varnish before use.  I think I’ll pass.  

If only they had built it of steel.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 8:42 AM, bmiller said:

I believe we are all missing the point.  This is a new STEALTH design to be used to sneak up on those pesky Russian from the SovietUnion who are trying to invade and dominate the Antarctic.