Mocking Ads on Craigslist

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

No, no, you've got it all wrong. My comment about only doing one circumnavigation was an example of what people call "false modesty". Or "Irony". Look it up sometime. You're just another grifter

Posted Images

On 11/22/2019 at 6:00 PM, Coffeebean said:

Where's my chequebook !!??!!

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/central-island-27ft-sail-boat/7022824885.html

"27 ft Cement Sail boat hand built by my father and only sailed for 2 years. Needs some small patching on hull and a good cleaning. Has new Sails. The Sea Mint is a very stable boat and is perfect for our South Coast."
$5000 OBO

Candidate.jpg

That boat looks like it's great for going in a straight line,  albeit slowly 

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I like the "Perfect for our south coast" bit.

Just what you want in a light wind, extreme current area.

Well, that black painted cabin top would be a hellish oven in any climate where the sun actually shines, so it's more suitable there than a lot of places.

- DSK

55 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, that black painted cabin top would be a hellish oven in any climate where the sun actually shines, so it's more suitable there than a lot of places.

- DSK

I was wondering if that was paint or foundation sealer.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Y’all are missing the point again.  The black cabin top would generate heat, causing the air directly above the boat to rise quickly.  (As in a low pressure zone). Cooler air would rush in to replace it generating a nice fresh breeze.  (Instead of calling it a “sea breeze” we would call it a “Sea Mist” breeze.  That certainly would cause this boat to reach high speeds as well as generating its own squall lines.  

I would say at any race where such a roof (I further decline to refer to anything on this “craft” in nautical terms) should be at least a 50 or more second per mile penalty under PHRF.  I suspect we will see this modification on all America’s Cup boats in the near future. The owner should copyright / patent this new, modern innovation immeadiately.   

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

Y’all are missing the point again.  The black cabin top would generate heat, causing the air directly above the boat to rise quickly.  (As in a low pressure zone). Cooler air would rush in to replace it generating a nice fresh breeze.  (Instead of calling it a “sea breeze” we would call it a “Sea Mist” breeze.  That certainly would cause this boat to reach high speeds as well as generating its own squall lines.  

I would say at any race where such a roof (I further decline to refer to anything on this “craft” in nautical terms) should be at least a 50 or more second per mile penalty under PHRF.  I suspect we will see this modification on all America’s Cup boats in the near future. The owner should copyright / patent this new, modern innovation immeadiately.   

You are one serious oldtimer S20AE!  I used to love YR&C too...

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Why are y'all wasting time on a log with a propellor, when you could be mocking THIS

https://olympic.craigslist.org/boa/d/nordland-23ft-sailboat/7021170383.html

00d0d_9nhTvvrFrpm_600x450.jpg

Although this is rather difficult to mock, words fail me. Any redeeming features at all?

Bueller?

FB- Doug

I love the fact the the sailboat is free, but the trailer isn't included.  Well i believe the trailer is the only thing holding the sailboat together.

I'll add this.   https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/boa/d/manassas-26-clipper-marine-sloop/7025641294.html

00i0i_bvomTz6BeiW_600x450.jpg

for 200 bucks you  get 1972 26' clipper.  that is and I quote "  not a, ready to sail, boat; but with a handy person and a bit of work could be a fun, inexpensive way to get out on the water. "

Fun and inexpensive.  two words never used in the same sentence by any boat owner.

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Why are y'all wasting time on a log with a propellor, when you could be mocking THIS

Although this is rather difficult to mock, words fail me. Any redeeming features at all?

Bueller?

FB- Doug

Goat cheese patina. Mmmm....

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Bueller?

FB- Doug

Why oh why does he want to keep the trailer?

And not for nothing, but the pictures show that the hull is wood, not fiberglass as stated.  Not sure what the "cabin" is made of.

1 hour ago, Hukilau said:

Why oh why does he want to keep the trailer?

And not for nothing, but the pictures show that the hull is wood, not fiberglass as stated.  Not sure what the "cabin" is made of.

My thought, cut it up and sell the steel for scrap. Worth more than the boat, which is priced accordingly.

Look what showed up on my buoy late last night!  Not sure its ugly and it is post Craigs List but there's quite a bit to admire.  First the story: 

Long after dark we got an unexpected knock on the door, (no one visits us old folks at night in this dark neighborhood).  Its an old post high school friend of my now 32 year old son.  Haven't seen him in years and wouldn't recognize him at that.  Turns out he'd bought this 1965 Buchan 37 a few weeks ago and has been nursing it north with various travails, including inboard engine failure.  He'd found cheap moorage for the winter nearby but it wouldn't start til Dec 1.  "Say, can I leave this on the buoy for a few days?"   We love our kids and their friends and we're kind old folks who enjoy supporting youthful adventures.  "Sure".   We invited them in for dinner, (they'd been on the water in cold temps for several hours and looked tired).  Some good home made turkey soup should do them good.  Chatted and caught up with him and his accomplice for a while til their friend arrived to pick them up.  I'm left wondering if we'd ever see them again...... oh boy another boat!  Buchan is a house hold name around sailors here and our own Bob P surely knows more about this boat than I.  IIRC it was designed and built by racer Bill Buchan Sr. who is the father of Bill Jr who won Star Gold at the 84 Olympics & who's son Carl also won Gold, in the Finn the same week.  AFAIK its the only father & son to have won golds in the same Olympics.  Nice boat pedigree and cool story. 

Some things to admire:

3 stand (anchor?) line halyards

Outsized bimini, nice for those scorching PNW afternoons

furled, faintly rainbowed foresail

Now for a riddle:  What is the large black wedge that is used to shim the outboard motor bracket?  The innovation and outside the box thinking to have come up with this is truly admirable.  

PJ's_B37_closer.JPG

PJ's_B37_motor_mount_closer_from_side.JPG

PJ's_B37_Mast_&_3_strand_halyards.JPG

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, toddster said:

Duh.  It’s a Harbor Freight car maintenance ramp.  Where’s the other one?

(My boat came with an AMF swim fin motor mount wedge.  The other one was also missing.)

Dang Todd, you are fast.  I'm impressed!  Hmm, have you done this too????  

I haven't asked about the other one.

2 hours ago, eric1207 said:

Now for a riddle:  What is the large black wedge that is used to shim the outboard motor bracket?  The innovation and outside the box thinking to have come up with this is truly admirable.  

Car ramp?  Nice!  

edit: shoot - beat to the punch. 

8 hours ago, toddster said:

(My boat came with an AMF swim fin motor mount wedge.  The other one was also missing.)

I would consider it a creative, out of the box sort of fix.   Now, the esthetic impact on the other hand, leaves a bit to be desired....

- Stumbling

12 hours ago, toddster said:

So we're looking for a one-legged man with a unicycle.

2 hours ago, Pipe Dream said:

I seem to have stumbled into mocking ads on Facebook but all the more fun.

Oh, shame of all shames "Bought by my husband originally as a hobby but he has since been too busy to complete it."

43 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

While we are touring the boulevard of broken boat dreams, there's this

33' Glander Yawl, classic shoal draft/swing keel - $2200 (Gloucester)1

00d0d_cHqSDalhOXp_1200x900.jpg

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/33-glander-yawl-classic-shoal-draft/7025563904.html

A true project boat....

I think I saw that boat offered free a couple of months ago. I bet it changed hands and the current ask price is how much money the rescuer spent before realizing he was headed over a cliff.

FB- Doug

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

I seem to have stumbled into mocking ads on Facebook but all the more fun.

Oh, shame of all shames "Bought by my husband originally as a hobby but he has since been too busy to complete it."

In other words he doesn't have an unlimited budget and two shipwrights on staff.

Or he's buried in the lazarette but you will never get far enough to find the body.

Maybe the most massive hull window arrangement I've seen yet. Add the eye window with quarter pane and the batman cape off the back of the cabin  to complete the intergalactic look.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-west-coast-boats-swap-shop/7019781413.html
1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

Or he's buried in the lazarette but you will never get far enough to find the body.

Cast into the cement & scrap ballast?

To give it its due, that looks like one of the better built ferros I've seen. None of the usual lumps & bumps & wavy sheerlines.

And apparently it didn't even cause a divorce.

That mast looks like it would barely suffice as a mizzen on that thing though.

35 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Cast into the cement & scrap ballast?

To give it its due, that looks like one of the better built ferros I've seen. None of the usual lumps & bumps & wavy sheerlines.

And apparently it didn't even cause a divorce.

That mast looks like it would barely suffice as a mizzen on that thing though.

looks like he salvaged two masts from tanzer 22's and used one as a boom.  i have never seen anything thing that bow detail before...not the clipperish bow but that...dish? on deck.

1 hour ago, chester said:

i have never seen anything thing that bow detail before...not the clipperish bow but that...dish? on deck.

I have - several times on big ferro clippers.

9 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

While we are touring the boulevard of broken boat dreams, there's this

33' Glander Yawl, classic shoal draft/swing keel - $2200 (Gloucester)1

00d0d_cHqSDalhOXp_1200x900.jpg

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/33-glander-yawl-classic-shoal-draft/7025563904.html

A true project boat....

I think $2200.00 is a good deal.  They pay me $2200.00 to cut it up and dispose it in a local dumpster farm.  Of course I expect they would include my expenses as well as the $2200.00.  

44 minutes ago, PaulinVictoria said:

It's one of those new fancy paints that changes colour depending on the angle of the sun and how much you have smoked.

00000_jxClcXeLNH8_1200x900.jpg

00V0V_koCIeCYrJJA_1200x900.jpg

Also, it may have spawned.

Edit: funky turtleback boat on the other side of the dock.

On 11/27/2019 at 2:30 PM, Pipe Dream said:

Hmmmmm, I'm sure there are plenty of people here that have used these charts.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2713430528720066/

78060314_838345616568548_207344018134348 

74661767_838345649901878_416463763009437

I'll just blow off the dust on the old Loran-A and put it back on the boat... What?  They shut the chains down in 1979 and 1980?  

But, but, how will I navigate on these fine charts without Loran-A?

- Stumbling

Mesh is part of the repair kit.  Included in the deal.   Keg under the stern is ready to go for the launch.

OTHO my neighbor built and finished to a very fine level of craftsmanship his 57' ferrrocement.  Then circumnavigated.  He did a couple of Pacific loops after that.

2 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I'll just blow off the dust on the old Loran-A and put it back on the boat... What?  They shut the chains down in 1979 and 1980?  

But, but, how will I navigate on these fine charts without Loran-A?

- Stumbling

I recently tried to give my old loran away on eBay. Ended up dumping it in the e-waste bin.

14 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

I recently tried to give my old loran away on eBay. Ended up dumping it in the e-waste bin.

I remember thinking as Loran C became popular in the late 70s, that it was kind of cheating. After much effort I had just begun developing abilities with celestial navigation and now anybody could do it.

Real sailors used, if not an astrolabe, then at least a sextant, compass, dead reckoning, and of course the nature of the bottom you could determine from what stuck to the tallow on the bottom of the lead line. Fast forward and you get aberrations like La Vag...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bmiller said:

This is a beautiful boat, lots of expensive work and equipment lavished on it.

But really, 89K (reduced by 36K) for an incomplete 1985 boat?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/wauquiez-pretorien-3549699/

My guess is that it's now only about $15K overpriced.

I looked at a Pretorien years ago.  I'm 6 feet tall, and my knees were in the way sitting at the nav station.

On 11/28/2019 at 3:54 AM, bmiller said:

How much for the pile of 6' scaffold frames? The only thing of value in that pic.

On 11/28/2019 at 7:29 AM, SloopJonB said:

I was wondering if that mesh was what was used in the hull armature.

No... Its a fitness thing...

instant 6 pack.jpg

9 hours ago, ride2live said:

How about the IOR influenced pinched stern aiding downwind performance?

I can imagine the discussion at the rules committee meeting about the different aspects of the rule:

"Committee Chair -Here are our findings: we are going to penalize putting weight at the bottom of the keel, so we need to put as many people on the rail for going upwind, make the rig as noodley as possible to offset the weight in the hull and incentivize putting strange lumps and divots in different parts of the hull.   What can we do for off the wind?"

"Hull Chair - Lets eliminate any possibility of planing by removing flats in the aft end of the hull and penalize the size of the rudder"

"Committee Chair - Why do that?"

"Hull Chair - With all the other changes to the rule, this makes the boat so directionally unstable off wind, the chances of losing control rises exponentially, thus increasing the excitement and giving the photographers plenty of photo opportunities!"

"Committee Chair - I like it, done!"

- Stumbling

• Like 1

All right, who's going to say it?

https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/bpo/d/mission-half-boat-hull-with-intact/7020101299.html

Half a Boat Hull with intact components - $400 (Stave Falls)

condition: salvage
make / manufacturer: All make

Half of a boat hull for sale $400 OBO
Ford marine engine
Transmission
Propeller shaft and prop all intact
And all tanks still in the half hull
11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/bpo/d/mission-half-boat-hull-with-intact/7020101299.html

Ford marine engine
Transmission

is that Seagull Dabbing?

• Like 1
On 11/30/2019 at 12:28 PM, SloopJonB said:

Ford marine engine
Transmission

Is that supposed to be a picture of where the other half of the boat sank?

Okay, it's Ebay not CL, but we need some new material.  Boat was donated.  I can't tell if it got pitched up in the marsh in hurricane Michael, or just got neglected by a hoarder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Tartan-42-Sloop-Sailboat/362836042211?hash=item547ab6a1e3:g:fPQAAOSwRfNd5S7J

"1981 Tartan 42' sloop sailboat in rough condition. The boat is located at the New Orleans Municipal Marina."

s-l1600.jpg

Why do people leave boats like this?

s-l1600.jpg

19 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Okay, it's Ebay not CL, but we need some new material.  Boat was donated.  I can't tell if it got pitched up in the marsh in hurricane Michael, or just got neglected by a hoarder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Tartan-42-Sloop-Sailboat/362836042211?hash=item547ab6a1e3:g:fPQAAOSwRfNd5S7J

Why do people leave boats like this?

s-l1600.jpg

A follow up question would be why do people bid on boats like this?

s-l1600.jpg

I looked at Tartan 42s on Yacht World. Some very nice looking ones are asking $55K to $60K. From the looks of the one on Ebay, you could easily spend that much on a re-fit, probably more.

6 minutes ago, bmiller said:

My goodness

00O0O_fIdNtyZgI3q_600x450.jpg

This looks like it was built by a "marine engineer" out of Lego blocks.

Those lattice masts get tried by racers about once per generation. Never works. Hell of a lot of windage and if it bends at all, it bends the wrong way and tends to come apart unpredictably.

- DSK

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

That fine lassie deserves better! And look at that mast. I guess maybe the captain was a ham radio operator?

00909_25mWaWX1UNN_1200x900.jpg

Holy hell I didn't even notice her! I must be getting old.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

My goodness

00O0O_fIdNtyZgI3q_600x450.jpg

This looks like it was built by a "marine engineer" out of Lego blocks.

Those lattice masts get tried by racers about once per generation. Never works. Hell of a lot of windage and if it bends at all, it bends the wrong way and tends to come apart unpredictably.

- DSK

Point 1.  The mast is part of the aerodynamic sail that drives the boat.  Lattice work is not aerodynamic.  

Point 2.  Anyone who wants to design and build his own boat should take a L>O>N>G LOOK at this boat, Then decide (if he wants to go ahead.)   

Paper drawings are very hard to convert into hard, floating, sailing entities.  Paper dreams are even harder.  

16 minutes ago, slap said:

Varnishing?  The only woodwork I see in those pictures is the girl.

\Exactly. He's gone full home design from varnish fumes. Those guys ever tell you why they did 10 coats on youtube?:)