Mocking Ads on Craigslist

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

No, no, you've got it all wrong. My comment about only doing one circumnavigation was an example of what people call "false modesty". Or "Irony". Look it up sometime. You're just another grifter

Posted Images

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come to his defense (at my peril).  Like old Casey Kasem I will tell you "the rest of the story".  It deserves to be told.  It won't live up to a Rasper yarn but I am very impressed with this person, he's a real doer. 

He is a retired major university professor, so no dummy.  He built a very well finished 57' ferro cement in the 1970's and circumnavigated with it, plus one or two Pacific circuits.  He sold it around 1995 and designed this, HIS perfect boat.  He then circumnavigated with it plus 3 Pacific circuits and several Alaska trips.  It took him just one year to build.   (how long has rusty junk been going?)  A flatbed semi delivered a BIG pile of cad cut steel plates to CSR boat yard where he set to welding.  He did all the bending and welding of the steel himself but he hired a certified marine welder to do all the below waterline welds after he tacked it in place.  He did design it but, knowing him, probably had a NA look it over, IDK.  He did mention that he had talked to he-who-must-not-be-named but I don't think there is any further connection to that person.  The vessel is, like his ferro cement boat, finished to a pretty high standard inside and out.  Fair and smooth as you can do without a bunch of effort.  No visible hollows or bulges from the fabrication.  No, he did not do the quilting, that must be the work of the subsequent owner.  It was painted a very nice light grey when he had it, not Beatle submarine yellow.  The hull porthole was added after his time.  It is a very well thought out and ergonomic boat, though it is a motor sailer by intention.  Besides a chair for stern candy the grand stair case in the back is very handy and the dingy gets winched up there on keel rollers and lashed down hard during passages.  

Now to the rig:  What he told me is that "he did the calculations" and at the speed his boat would go the windage was less than what a single extrusion would be.  Remember, he is a smart guy so I am not doubting him on this, and I would not be surprised if he ran that by one of his aeronautical professor buddies, there's lots of them in this home city of Boeing.  He did say that it is built from 1.5" schedule (40, I think) aluminum pipe.  It took him just a day for he and a buddy to weld it together.  He precut all the pieces.  Two guys can lift the whole mast.  Its also might handy to climb, I've done that.  There are duel, similar trussed, whisker poles permanently mounted on each side of the cabin top on u-joint swivels.  They hinge out and down to attach to the clews of his duel roller furling headsail set up.  Wing and wing so to speak.  I can't remember but I think he had a second set of rigged lazy sheets to do this.  So no spinnaker to mess with by this septuagenarian.  Its an easy peasy set up.  I've seen it sail. 

He told me he gave it to a guy in Tahiti that had helped him a lot after a rough passage from Mexico.  He was getting on in years and his SO said no more passages.  He just didn't feel like sailing it back to Seattle without her.  Frankly, closing in on 80 years and after 2 circumnavigations and at least 3 pacific circuits, can you blame him?  Maybe there was some money exchanged but he did say the guy helped him out a bunch.   I'm a bit surprise that it has popped up for sale on the west coast.  My impression was that the Tahiti guy had a real need for the boat there.  Maybe a quick flip was too tempting.  Anyway my neighbor was done with voyaging and certainly got his worth out of the boat.  He doesn't need the money and Karma is good. 

So mock away, there is certainly a lot to "admire".   I just want you to know that he is a pretty impressive guy and the boat is very well built and it served him safely and well for some 15 years.   

Cheers.

• Like 11

Aha, I found a pic of the boat at my neighbors dock in its original colors.  No quilting to be seen back then.  I said the mast needed 2 guys to pick it up.  Not true, he could pick it up by himself, at ~60 years of age!

Brian Lewis's boat.jpg

• Like 3

Well, the current yellow color, quilting and somewhat lack of yachtiness are a bit mockable, but you're welcome, it was fun to sit down and reflect on all he's done.  I can't imagine building and finishing 2 large vessels in one lifetime.  All after his mid thirties!  I have no idea what he'd done prior to that.  I should remember to ask him as he comes around the old neighborhood occasionally.  I miss that well kept steel boat, quietly bobbing up and down at the dock, no matter what ragging winter storms throw at it.  Like a docile giant mocking the weather.

10 hours ago, eric1207 said:

Aha, I found a pic of the boat at my neighbors dock in its original colors.  No quilting to be seen back then.  I said the mast needed 2 guys to pick it up.  Not true, he could pick it up by himself, at ~60 years of age!

Brian Lewis's boat.jpg

Just to be clear: the quilting is from a different ad. There is afaik no quilting on the yellow boat

38 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I thought that looked familiar. As recently as 2013, that boat was not yellow. Here she is in northern Johnstone Strait in July of that year.

1YnPR5WUrwj7I0s6hkxit27cGoCgeD8DjfnhrVIr

There it almost looks like a fishing-boat-sailor. 

22 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

No-one around here is going to mistake that beast for a fishing boat.

Trust me.

image.png.6202322bdd31dcbd6815c85297d2c913.pngimage.png.98dcecf84cab5f2d163ba4f0b3e91b80.png

I'm just saying that the hull (to me) looks more like a fishing boat than a sailboat. Even in grey, I'm still mocking

6 hours ago, eric1207 said:

Well, the current yellow color, quilting and somewhat lack of yachtiness are a bit mockable, but you're welcome, it was fun to sit down and reflect on all he's done.  I can't imagine building and finishing 2 large vessels in one lifetime.  All after his mid thirties!  I have no idea what he'd done prior to that.  I should remember to ask him as he comes around the old neighborhood occasionally.  I miss that well kept steel boat, quietly bobbing up and down at the dock, no matter what ragging winter storms throw at it.  Like a docile giant mocking the weather.

Wait a sec. The quilting was not on the yellow boat. It was on an Albin 25 motor sailer. 

Ok,   I got a little quilting confusion there. 

Regarding Ishmael's keen eye in 2013, yes the builder/owner loved to spend a couple months on Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlotte Island.  I think it was 2015 that he took his last Pacific loop to Tahiti then turned it over to the new guy there.  I have no idea if the current sellers are that person or a third owner.

29 minutes ago, eric1207 said:

Ok,   I got a little quilting confusion there. 

Regarding Ishmael's keen eye in 2013, yes the builder/owner loved to spend a couple months on Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlotte Island.  I think it was 2015 that he took his last Pacific loop to Tahiti then turned it over to the new guy there.  I have no idea if the current sellers are that person or a third owner.

If this is the "B. Lewis" I'm thinking of, wasn't he an oceanographer as well? In fact, department chair?

As I recall, he lost his ferro-cement boat when it collided with some rocks.

Yes Tom I think you have it right, though I'm under the impression his field was underwater geology.  See post 13185 above it you missed it.  I thought he sold the ferro cement boat but I could be wrong, it was along time ago that I spoke to him about it.  It was also moored in the spot where the subject boat is pictured in post 13186.

On 12/6/2019 at 6:39 PM, eric1207 said:

Now to the rig:  What he told me is that "he did the calculations" and at the speed his boat would go the windage was less than what a single extrusion would be.  Remember, he is a smart guy so I am not doubting him on this, and I would not be surprised if he ran that by one of his aeronautical professor buddies, there's lots of them in this home city of Boeing.  He did say that it is built from 1.5" schedule (40, I think) aluminum pipe.  It took him just a day for he and a buddy to weld it together.  He precut all the pieces.

Ok, 2 things come to mind here.

First, the fact he made the mast etc from aluminium tube removes one of my objections - all those joints as places for rust to start.

Second, if he & a friend could weld all that up in a day, even with everything pre-cut, they have my utter admiration. I'm 100% certain that I couldn't manage it in a week.

FKT

17 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I thought that looked familiar. As recently as 2013, that boat was not yellow. Here she is in northern Johnstone Strait in July of that year.

1YnPR5WUrwj7I0s6hkxit27cGoCgeD8DjfnhrVIr

The only thing that could make this more mockworthy would be if he chromed the mast.   Then it would be unnervingly sparkly in the daylight....

- Stumbling

14 hours ago, eric1207 said:

Yes Tom I think you have it right, though I'm under the impression his field was underwater geology.  See post 13185 above it you missed it.  I thought he sold the ferro cement boat but I could be wrong, it was along time ago that I spoke to him about it.  It was also moored in the spot where the subject boat is pictured in post 13186.

I didn't think ferro cement boats could be sold. I thought that when you were finished with it you just moored it in some out of the way place, and put an ad on Craig's List.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I didn't think ferro cement boats could be sold. I thought that when you were finished with it you just moored it in some out of the way place, and put an ad on Craig's List.

Or donated it for target practice

hannibal25202528usn2529.jpg

They make great artificial reefs.

Prior to the 2008 crash they were crazy cheap and so people bought them but since the price of glass boats has gone down so much I can't imagine why anyone would buy one.

I still see the nicer ones (yes, there are some) listed for "conventional" prices but don't know if they actually sell.

Well, here's a little more info.  I bumped into the builder's son today and they did sell the ferro cement boat for, he thought, $50k.  As above, I'd guess that was around 1995/2000.  It was very well finished and it was never wrecked on rocks, on their watch.  Last they heard was a rumor years ago that it was wasting away in the Sea of Cortez.  Its name was Ama Khaya.  It would be going on 50 years old by now.  

Son was surprised that the more recent, steel boat (that yellow one) was in San Diego, he said "that wasn't possible".  The ad doesn't say where it is but does say "delivery available".  I'd guess its still in Tahiti.  Check insurability before you buy.

Re the mast; he's a pretty good welder, (duh, he built a steel boat) and the aluminum welds on the mast looked pretty good to my untrained eye.  Painted white, it looked good ~5 years ago when it was last around here.

Cheers

On 12/5/2019 at 7:24 AM, stumblingthunder said:

There was a boat that was raced by Doug Fisher (local sailmaker) and his father in Sarasota and Tampa Bay that had a latticed mast, for a while.   The name will come to me when I am furthest away from the keyboard.   Did fairly well with a more traditional mast.

- Stumbling

Morning Glory, a very custom Schock 35:

20170906_174203 - Copy.jpg

The lattice rig predates the internet., but there are references in SA:

"My mind works, just the bubble memory fluid bath has gotten a little more viscous..."

- Stumbling

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

Do the deck hands come with the boat?

Funny that the ad says it includes deck wenches...

Neither ad says draft or engine type or any real description of the boat (where it’s been, number of owners, etc.)

26 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Funny that the ad says it includes deck wenches...

Neither ad says draft or engine type or any real description of the boat (where it’s been, number of owners, etc.)

Here it is on YW.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/tayana-55-center-cockpit-3570571/

The guy in the ad with the models looks like a trustworthy chap.

01313_7mmrdwTq2gJ_1200x900.jpg

37 minutes ago, Salazar said:

Certainly more info in the Yachtworld listing but still no draft listed there either, that I can see.

No draft. And why did they replace the teak deck instead of removing it?  Seems like the first question most prospects ask themselves would be "Will I be able to keep this boat up?" and the teak is a big minus in that dept.

That dude thinks he can run an ad putting a percentage on it, and everyone will just ignore the other ads at a lower price? Or will he send his boys around to collect it?

6 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

No draft. And why did they replace the teak deck instead of removing it?  Seems like the first question most prospects ask themselves would be "Will I be able to keep this boat up?" and the teak is a big minus in that dept.

That dude thinks he can run an ad putting a percentage on it, and everyone will just ignore the other ads at a lower price? Or will he send his boys around to collect it?

Hey, those supermodels don't come cheap!

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

I'll bet that latticed rigging structure was quite noisy when the wind piped up. The typical aluminum extrusion and a few shrouds is noisy enough!

That's what I thought: You can do the calculations & declare a latticework mast is the same cross sectional area as the equivalent solid extrusion ... but turbulence  is a thing! A small amount of carefully-induced turbulence at the leading edge of a foil can actually help maintain flow attachment (delay stalling) at low speeds -- see the tubercles on humpback fins. But I'm guessing lattice masts don't produce such tight, controlled vortices at the boundary layer. Nope. Guessing they create a messy, draggy, lift-destroying sort of turbulence.

1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

That's what I thought: You can do the calculations & declare a latticework mast is the same cross sectional area as the equivalent solid extrusion ... but turbulence  is a thing! A small amount of carefully-induced turbulence at the leading edge of a foil can actually help maintain flow attachment (delay stalling) at low speeds -- see the tubercles on humpback fins. But I'm guessing lattice masts don't produce such tight, controlled vortices at the boundary layer. Nope. Guessing they create a messy, draggy, lift-destroying sort of turbulence.

I don't remember any noise from the mast, at least not above ambient storm noise.  I live 2 doors away and it was wet moored many winters just 80' from my bedroom windows.  Regarding calcs, he was long time head of the oceanography dept at a major university and a math whiz per his son.   Seattle is/was chock full of Boeing aeronautical engineers and IDK but I'd guess he may have had a few collegial friends of that elk to consult.  He did say, IIRC from conversations a good 10 years ago, that he did consider the turbulance of the individual tubing in his analysis.  Obviously however, the trussed mast design certainly runs counter to any race boat or conventional thinking.  I do wonder if I ever decided to design my perfect voyaging boat, would I consider that design.  I'd certainly pepper him with questions about it.

Cheers

I saw the same boat frequently moored on lake Washington while kayaking. I agree with Eric, from a distance it had a strange fishing/military/houseboat vibe, but up close it became clear it was well built and maintained to a high standard. Thanks for the description about the twin whisker poles, I had assumed they were part of a long line halibut fishing set up.

The mast was unusual but since the builder was clearly a do it all type of guy it makes sense he did not want to use a typical extrusion which would have been very difficult to make on his own.

The best boats are the ones that get used.

2 hours ago, eric1207 said:

I don't remember any noise from the mast, at least not above ambient storm noise.  I live 2 doors away and it was wet moored many winters just 80' from my bedroom windows.  Regarding calcs, he was long time head of the oceanography dept at a major university and a math whiz per his son.   Seattle is/was chock full of Boeing aeronautical engineers and IDK but I'd guess he may have had a few collegial friends of that elk to consult.  He did say, IIRC from conversations a good 10 years ago, that he did consider the turbulance of the individual tubing in his analysis.  Obviously however, the trussed mast design certainly runs counter to any race boat or conventional thinking.  I do wonder if I ever decided to design my perfect voyaging boat, would I consider that design.  I'd certainly pepper him with questions about it.

Cheers

It just seems to me if that mast was better in any way, cheaper, lighter, stronger, more aerodynamic, easier to build it would be commonly used.

Maybe for a one off home built it made sense financially.

Well, no harm in trying I guess. :rolleyes:

Over $200k Canadian for a T-37? I don't care if it's the nicest one on the planet that price is ridiculous. It's $100K US more than the next most expensive on on YW.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/bod/d/vancouver-37-tartan/7035292556.html

image.png.fffe6b328703fe9907950a1ea2f47965.png

23 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Well, no harm in trying I guess. :rolleyes:

Over $200k Canadian for a T-37? I don't care if it's the nicest one on the planet that price is ridiculous. It's $100K US more than the next most expensive on on YW.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/bod/d/vancouver-37-tartan/7035292556.html

image.png.fffe6b328703fe9907950a1ea2f47965.png

It's a Tartan 3700, not a Tartan 37.

Re: post 13222 and others.  Maybe someone is interested.  Here's a close up of the yellow CL boat's mast I found on my laptop.  The large verticals are ~1.75" OD, 1.5" Schedule 40, aluminum pipe.  It is real easy to scamper up the mast for a look around.  Handy for entering shallow coral head areas.  Though this boat has sailed plenty around the world it is a motor sailor with firm desire of the owner/builder/designer to motor when needed.

Brians mast.jpg

13 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Here we go mates.  This could be Rimas' next boat.  Comes loaded with gear-

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/norfolk-sailboat-ft-coronado/7036395777.html

Sailboat 1968 25ft Coronado - $500 (Norfolk)

image 3 of 4>
00202_ahqSCMxKt8T_600x450.jpg

Not, one presumes, a disciple of the KonMari  lifestyle.

MK: "Does it spark joy?" 

Owner: "Yes. Yes! This yellow bucket sparks joy in me! It matches my ladder."

32 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/norfolk-sailboat-ft-coronado/7036395777.html

image 3 of 4>

Rimas will like having two ladders instead of one. That bow pulpit is...interesting.

43 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

It looks like bug antennae.

Curb feelers?

"Dock with confidence with the all new Bowdicatorstm.  Just point your nose at the dock and gun it! When you hear a rending sound or people screaming, a bit of reverse with the wheel hard to port will see you tucked right in."

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
3 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Curb feelers?

"Dock with confidence with the all new Bowdicatorstm.  Just point your nose at the dock and gun it! When you hear a rending sound or people screaming, a bit of reverse with the wheel hard to port will see you tucked right in."

For when you tire of potatoe navigation.

7 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

image 3 of 4>

Boat Owner - Damn it, Zeb!  You put the ‘Fourth of July exploding Bow Pulpit’ on the boat again?!

Zeb - I cannot help it.   I like the way the people run when it goes off at the dock!

- Stumbling 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

$300? He's (obviously) delusional.

But half of it is still floating!  And you can buy a patch kit for $30, so you'd pretty much have a new dinghy for $330.  Sounds fair.  

On 12/9/2019 at 4:37 AM, bmiller said:

Make sure you never take a black light on that second one.

I started off with a Coronado 25. They are good "gateway boats" in the Chesapeake with their shallow draft. They don't go upwind very well though.

Mine wasn't a junk pile for the previous owner, thank goodness.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

'Tis true, Ron drifts and putts about English Bay on his classic plastic C25.

Cheers!

thumbnail_20191106_104753 webcopy.jpg

If I still owned mine, I'd ask him for tips on getting it to sail closer to the wind!

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

If I still owned mine, I'd ask him for tips on getting it to sail closer to the wind!

There's one for sale nearby here, a center board. I should go look at it just cuz. 

Could you stand up in the main part of the saloon?

3 hours ago, bmiller said:

There's one for sale nearby here, a center board. I should go look at it just cuz. 

Could you stand up in the main part of the saloon?

Just barely. I'm 5'10"

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You will for sure - close is worse than stooping height when it comes to bumping your head.

Yep, the entry door to the V-berth is just low enough that when I'm wearing a hat I always whack my head on it.

Instant 50’ House ready to drop on your block. Entrance via hatch at the top or cut a new doorway in the side with a deck out the front. Very Roomy, all standing rooms. Built to lockup stage, ready to fit out at your desire. Cradle included, can deliver. Freshly painted inside & out. All offers considered.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1236306508

s-l800.webp

s-l800.webp

I have found another multi-faceted wonder for the committee to review:

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/boa/d/melbourne-17ft-sailboat-with-5hp/7026694874.html

00000_3ZymAHpWqU9_1200x900.jpg

00u0u_7KoaXQn0cyD_1200x900.jpg

I admire the maximum usage of a 4x8 pieces of plywood and minimizing the number of cuts.

Why torture the plywood when you can just go flat!

I also am curious about the through hull in the above picture.  Its outboard powered and the cabin shot does not indicate that there is a sink located there.

- Stumbling

1 hour ago, stumblingthunder said:

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/boa/d/melbourne-17ft-sailboat-with-5hp/7026694874.html

I admire the maximum usage of a 4x8 pieces of plywood and minimizing the number of cuts.

I also am curious about the through hull in the above picture.  Its outboard powered and the cabin shot does not indicate that there is a sink located there.

- Stumbling

Well, some people think there are moral reason to not torture plywood, I guess. This one at least has some curves in it. Painted a nice color. Not a bad effort overall, I wonder how it sails? On a good trailer at least.

FB- Doug

• Like 1
On 11/27/2019 at 4:12 AM, Israel Hands said:

While we are touring the boulevard of broken boat dreams, there's this

33' Glander Yawl, classic shoal draft/swing keel - $2200 (Gloucester)1

00d0d_cHqSDalhOXp_1200x900.jpg

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/33-glander-yawl-classic-shoal-draft/7025563904.html

A true project boat....

Years ago, never mind how many, I decided to go to sea. It’s a way I have if venting off the spleen, when it’s a damp, dark November in my soul...

I somewhere/somehow came across —I’d recently returned from working in Japan, reading for the next adventure, and I’d always wanted a boat...1996-ish pre-Craigslist etc so there were no pics, just the alluring words in a newspaper classified ad, probably, that said “Hinckley Sou’wester 33’ or something like that.  Asking several thousand dollars, more than I had, but certainly within the range of do-able, I thought myself. Then —again, somewhere, somehow, I can’t recall exactly— I was put in contact with old retired wooden boat surveyor.  I picked him up at some pre-arranged meeting place early Saturday morning and off we drive towards Baltimore, Maryland.  We soon found the glorious old Hinckley, into which the surveyor gently —and all too easily—stabbed his ice pick in several places into the butter-soft wood, effectively skewering my dream (that one anyway! :-) )

• Like 4
3 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

Apparently the designer studied at the same yacht design school as HR.

9 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

In a kinky kind of way, I really like it.  Not that I would ever spend money for it, but with its squared off symmetry, and appearance of being  well finished, it has a charm to it that few featured on this thread have.  

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Years ago, never mind how many, I decided to go to sea. It’s a way I have if venting off the spleen, when it’s a damp, dark November in my soul...

I somewhere/somehow came across —I’d recently returned from working in Japan, reading for the next adventure, and I’d always wanted a boat...1996-ish pre-Craigslist etc so there were no pics, just the alluring words in a newspaper classified ad, probably, that said “Hinckley Sou’wester 33’ or something like that.  Asking several thousand dollars, more than I had, but certainly within the range of do-able, I thought myself. Then —again, somewhere, somehow, I can’t recall exactly— I was put in contact with old retired wooden boat surveyor.  I picked him up at some pre-arranged meeting place early Saturday morning and off we drive towards Baltimore, Maryland.  We soon found the glorious old Hinckley, into which the surveyor gently —and all too easily—stabbed his ice pick in several places into the butter-soft wood, effectively skewering my dream (that one anyway! :-) )

Thanks be for an honest and thoughtful Surveyor.  

13 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

When giving your brother-in-law an ugly sweater for Christmas just wouldn’t fully demonstrate your enmity......

• Like 1
16 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

Tesla's new Cyberyacht, the last of their big reveals for 2019, wait and see.....

• Like 2
17 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

If it was on the other, "left", side it would be a porthole.

So, having studied thousands of holes, the builder decided to break with convention and make a hole on the "right" side.

It's a starboardhole.

Obviously.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

Where the hell do people get these design ideas? Also currently in Florida:

Venus-03.jpg