Mocking Ads on Craigslist

6 hours ago, andykane said:

I feel bad mocking this one because the workmanship actually looks quite good, but between the Beta 38 with two stainless steel Porsche mufflerscharming beadboard interior accented with Sonoran Mesquite, and the staggering $270,000 price tag it's a definite candidate. Plus, judging by the transom immersion, it's floating a solid 1-2 feet below the design waterline, which is scary.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bod/d/nordland-31-ft-custom-pilothouse-cutter/7052325840.html

00j0j_53Kl5zkVRUY_1200x900.jpg

Who thought it was a good idea to put a steam locomotive cab on top of a boat hull?

FKT

• Like 1
  • Replies 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Ohey I send you picture...

Posted Images

9 hours ago, andykane said:

I feel bad mocking this one because the workmanship actually looks quite good, but between the Beta 38 with two stainless steel Porsche mufflerscharming beadboard interior accented with Sonoran Mesquite, and the staggering $270,000 price tag it's a definite candidate. Plus, judging by the transom immersion, it's floating a solid 1-2 feet below the design waterline, which is scary.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bod/d/nordland-31-ft-custom-pilothouse-cutter/7052325840.html

Looks like a "Spray" hull with a much taller rig, which is a bad idea, and much bigger cabin trunk added, which is not necessarily a good idea although it's necessary if you want more than crawling headroom. The locomotive cab is definitely a ?WTF? maybe he put in a steam whistle along with the 2 Porsche mufflers... why 2? Why Porsche?

Kinda cool but seriously nuts.

FB- Doug

That is a very tall rig for a motorsailer.  I kinda like the interior.  And she looks to be very well built.  But that's such a personal design, inside and out, that he's going to have a tough time finding a buyer. At least until he drops the price substantially.  

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Looks like a "Spray" hull with a much taller rig, which is a bad idea, and much bigger cabin trunk added, which is not necessarily a good idea although it's necessary if you want more than crawling headroom. The locomotive cab is definitely a ?WTF? maybe he put in a steam whistle along with the 2 Porsche mufflers... why 2? Why Porsche?

Kinda cool but seriously nuts.

FB- Doug

This would be a good new home for The Old Lady who lived in a Shoe.

Image result for the old lady who lived in a shoe

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

(not sure why the mock about the Beta 38 diesel tho?)

Purely for the two stainless steel Porsche mufflers attached to said engine. Otherwise Beta's a great choice - I've got a Beta 25 which just purrs, although admittedly I went for a more traditional muffler solution.

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

2 Porsche mufflers... why 2? Why Porsche?

To demonstrate the level of quality he put into the boat of course.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, andykane said:

Telescope house and telescope motor sailer, separated at birth?

Wye+Back+Facade.jpg?format=2500w

An inquiring mind wants to know!

- Stumbling

On 1/8/2020 at 10:25 PM, andykane said:

I Admire the standing headroom underneath the giant RIB on some kind of elevator.

On 1/8/2020 at 7:25 PM, andykane said:

Built with love, skill and a lot of dollars,  thus making it another in a long line of boating/life tragedies.  The only thing missing was an understanding of boat design and the consequences of modifications.....

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Bull City said:

20,000 hours of work. Think about it. That would be 2,000 ten-hour days. If you worked 300 days a year, that would be over 6½ years. That is fucking crazy. 

Putting those hours into something else might have yielded a well-developed talent!

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

20,000 hours of work. Think about it. That would be 2,000 ten-hour days. If you worked 300 days a year, that would be over 6½ years. That is fucking crazy. 

Standard work year is 1950 hours (37.5/week) so that is actually 10 years of full time work.

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

Putting those hours into something else might have yielded a well-developed talent!

Well it does seem to have developed decent alloy boat building skills.

Just not any sort of design skills.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Self Quote Alert

And he wants $270,000 for this well constructed 31-foot pile of aluminum. Let's look at few other options. I looked on Yachtworld for motorsailers, 30-33 feet for $50-270K. The most expensive is a 2017 Jeanneau Sun Fast 3200 for $156K, or a few Nauticat 33's for $110 to 150K, but in Europe. Or a 2000 32' Tayana Vancouver in CA for $104K.

But, hey, get the aluminum baby for $270K!

10 hours ago, Bull City said:

And you would still wind up with an overweight all aluminum swiss army knife version of a Spray replica.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

And you would still wind up with an overweight all aluminum swiss army knife version of a Spray replica.

It could have been worse. Suppose he had decided on stainless steel instead of aluminum.

1589524073_Littlefuncruiser.jpg.21577981718bd3d37361c827a557a673.jpg1851897754_Littlefuncruiser2.jpg.70b15c5c3ae12f43901ba1e39c964127.jpg

391455463_Littlefuncruiser3.jpg.5450cf33cdbff8eb4f333ba38cd3153e.jpg1562557189_Littlefuncruiser4.jpg.1d3bec1e68f53cf9335e246ccfc293c9.jpg1998458716_Littlefuncruiser5.jpg.96436cff98722e4732355165336bbcd9.jpg
I like the steering wheel!

She is for sale:
$1500 Tampa Florida

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Schakel said:

1589524073_Littlefuncruiser.jpg.21577981718bd3d37361c827a557a673.jpg1851897754_Littlefuncruiser2.jpg.70b15c5c3ae12f43901ba1e39c964127.jpg

391455463_Littlefuncruiser3.jpg.5450cf33cdbff8eb4f333ba38cd3153e.jpg1562557189_Littlefuncruiser4.jpg.1d3bec1e68f53cf9335e246ccfc293c9.jpg1998458716_Littlefuncruiser5.jpg.96436cff98722e4732355165336bbcd9.jpg
I like the steering wheel!

She is for sale:
$1500 Tampa Florida

Look on the bright side, you would always been able to find your boat in the marina or anchorage. This boat is 'unique' in the proper sense of the word.

9 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

8835F6C4-6F92-46D8-8464-2F3E90BFCF0C.jpeg

That looks like it's intended for doing the bottom of those big boats with 10 & 12 foot blade keels.

Can strap in and fully recline for sanding & painting instead of rigging all that scaffolding.

No?

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That looks like it's intended for doing the bottom of those big boats with 10 & 12 foot blade keels.

Can strap in and fully recline for sanding & painting instead of rigging all that scaffolding.

No?

You'll be totally fucked either way.

• Like 3
On 1/8/2020 at 10:25 PM, andykane said:

When the Dashews and Pardeys drop acid and design a boat.......

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Starting with a 1952 steam locomotive.

I’m not sure we ever built a steam locomotive as late as 1952.  

That said, I truly believe no builder of locomotives would ever, knowingly, allow one of their products to be aboard this “craft.”

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/largo-16-ft-plywood-sail-with-trailer/7054338012.html

00W0W_aBYsMaeBsRr_1200x900.jpg

" Built by some guy in Ky in 2011, I bought from him in 2015. Petrel sail boat. Floats great, Takes on a little water, center board gets stuck needs help. Easy simple boat to mess around with, but needs help to make it a perfect. Trailer and motor mount and sailing rigging. Didn’t have much luck sailing it. But had a lot of fun taking her out. Please email for info and appointments to see. "

Some Guy has boat building operations all around the world, thus being the largest builder of 'yachts' in the free world!

00Y0Y_ioHdJyHbe1X_1200x900.jpg

His design is a little more freestyle than the fractal panel boat (which has made another recent appearance in the Florida Craigslists: https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/d/newburg-homebuilt-sailboat-2003/7053173735.html)   Given the statement "Didn’t have much luck sailing it. But had a lot of fun taking her out.," I think there may be a few holes in o'l Some Guy's grasp of sailboat design theory and practice...

- Stumbling

On 1/13/2020 at 3:39 AM, SloopJonB said:

No?

That’s for cleaning the bottom by keelhauling the crew member who muffed up the takedown at the leeward mark, thus losing first place on the last race of the last day!

- Stumbling 

On 1/13/2020 at 10:18 AM, stumblingthunder said:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/largo-16-ft-plywood-sail-with-trailer/7054338012.html

00W0W_aBYsMaeBsRr_1200x900.jpg

" Built by some guy in Ky in 2011, I bought from him in 2015. Petrel sail boat. Floats great, Takes on a little water, center board gets stuck needs help. Easy simple boat to mess around with, but needs help to make it a perfect. Trailer and motor mount and sailing rigging. Didn’t have much luck sailing it. But had a lot of fun taking her out. Please email for info and appointments to see. "

Some Guy has boat building operations all around the world, thus being the largest builder of 'yachts' in the free world!

00Y0Y_ioHdJyHbe1X_1200x900.jpg

His design is a little more freestyle than the fractal panel boat (which has made another recent appearance in the Florida Craigslists: https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/d/newburg-homebuilt-sailboat-2003/7053173735.html)   Given the statement "Didn’t have much luck sailing it. But had a lot of fun taking her out.," I think there may be a few holes in o'l Some Guy's grasp of sailboat design theory and practice...

- Stumbling

I am hoping the finish on the port side is an attemp at Dazzle Camouflage.  It do look like she’s seen better days, even considering her somewhat homely looks.  The tiedown going through the port hole is really unique 

1 minute ago, Santana20AE said:

I am hoping the finish on the port side is an attemp at Dazzle Camouflage.  It do look like she’s seen better days, even considering her somewhat homely looks.  The tiedown going through the port hole is really unique 

I am going to make an addendum to my post......All the money in Christendom would not make that boat “Perfect.”

14 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Ugh, the semi-literate.

That's just the stream-of-consciousness writing of an Adderall-stimulated millennial "new boat owner."  Who just realized he was had at ferro-cement.

7 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

That's just the stream-of-consciousness writing of an Adderall-stimulated millennial "new boat owner."  Who just realized he was had at ferro-cement.

If he's "looking for advice", he'd do well to make his missives a bit easier on the eyes, not to mention the brain.

I don't know, I'm ambivalent about our new colleague; I mean, how gullible is he?  That's some world-class ignorance and lack of common sense there.  But I still feel bad for him.  No matter how much of this is his own fault, he's still the victim here.

• Like 1

"Don't talk to anyone else - they're all weird"?

And he still went ahead?

That falls into the W.C. Fields area "Never give a sucker an even break or smarten up a chump".

• Like 2

Am I the only one thinking that the down payment was the ONLY payment that the seller was expecting to collect and the "tell the locals your boat sitting for three months" was just to put as much distance between this slowly disintegrating piece of rubble and themselves as possible before anyone wised up?

22 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

Am I the only one thinking that the down payment was the ONLY payment that the seller was expecting to collect and the "tell the locals your boat sitting for three months" was just to put as much distance between this slowly disintegrating piece of rubble and themselves as possible before anyone wised up?

No, I was thinking anyone who signs over a boat after a "deposit" probably owes the marina a bunch of money. Which the new owner now owes...

• Like 1

I didn't see where he mentioned he was blind. I mean all there is to be described in the photos is crumbling cement, rust,  wires, hoses and toes. 

<<< Edit. Think I found explanation for all this. Just me or does it look like a sixth toe on that foot? >>>

Image may contain: outdoor

No photo description available.

Image may contain: food

Edited by Monkey Butler
<<< Sasquatch bought a ferro yacht >>>
On 1/14/2020 at 7:16 PM, Santana20AE said:

"unique" is one word for it.

At least this guy isn't quite as screwed as the "should I make a 2nd payment on this ferrocement boat?" guy.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

No, I was thinking anyone who signs over a boat after a "deposit" probably owes the marina a bunch of money. Which the new owner now owes...

Tom, you are My Quicks Draw McGraw, and I am your Baba Looey

15 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

I didn't see where he mentioned he was blind. I mean all there is to be described in the photos is crumbling cement, rust,  wires, hoses and toes. 

<<< Edit. Think I found explanation for all this. Just me or does it look like a sixth toe on that foot? >>>

Then engine melted into rust puddles!

- Stumbling

And speaking of puddles of rust:

https://gainesville.craigslist.org/boa/d/pensacola-sailboats/7047559875.html

00o0o_e5Y8v00Zxvf_1200x900.jpg

00j0j_4mmgDBDdumx_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_8VfTx210vxF_1200x900.jpg

"1968 Sutton steel schooner. 75' LOA. 62' Length on Deck. Built at Sutton yard in Tarpon Springs by George Sutton who also designed her. Has sailed transatlantic many times plus numerous trips to the Caribbean. Draft only 5.5' full keel, attached rudder. Main & fore mast (steel) abt. 63'(gets under most ICW bridges) Power is 150 hp Isuzu 6BD1, also has Koler 12 kw generator, Standard 600 gpd water maker, 2 AC's , 4 burner SS stove/oven.
Lay out is 4 cabins, large aft cabin with ensuite head, tub and shower. Next forward is a large eat in galley with a L shaped dining area and table. Next forward is the main salon with a L shaped settee to port and another settee to starboard, also a navigation area to port. Forward of this area is a private stateroom with double berth, sink and closet space. Next forward are 2 heads with showers. Forward of the showers are 2 double cabins with bunk beds arranged one over the other, each having a sink also. Next is a collision bulkhead. Forward of the bulkhead is a workshop, with chain locker. (Was paid crew sleeping area at one time). Tankage is 1800 gallons diesel, 600 gallons water. Refrigerator and freezer in place.(Grunert). Present owner has spent over $100K on this vessel, but sadly needs about that more spent on her. This is a MAJOR restoration project. Interior is mostly African mahogany. If you have the time and money to restore this once fine vessel please contact me, no dreamers please!! Hull is 5/16" Corten steel in poor condition. Engine and generator may have fresh water intrusion. Transmission is twin disc 506 with a 2:1 reduction, turning a 28" prop on a 2" ss shaft. Sails are included and are set-up on Hood ProFurls. (behind the mast on Main and Fore) also has 150% Genoa and loose footed staysail. May be viewed @ Pensacola Marine Complex, name is Lady Patricia. 
This boat is a major project!!"

This rust bucket?  You need a dreamer with a steel yard to take this on.

If the seller is noting that the hull is in poor condition, there may be only molecules of steel thickness left, sort of holding the water out of the boat!

- Stumbling

(Second close look at this and I think it may be a repeat.   Its shocking some of my ganglia into remembrance)

Had to throw this one on here: 

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/d/buzzards-bay-30-bayliner-bucaneer/7053957106.html

Besides the “tilework” all around the cabin,

my favorite quote re: 25hp short shaft outboard on her: 

. I have a 25 merc short shaft on her now, cruises!!- 
But try stopping her!! Lol! 
She needs a LONG SHAFT outboard!!!

58 minutes ago, Lorax said:

Had to throw this one on here: 

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/d/buzzards-bay-30-bayliner-bucaneer/7053957106.html

Besides the “tilework” all around the cabin,

my favorite quote re: 25hp short shaft outboard on her: 

. I have a 25 merc short shaft on her now, cruises!!- 
But try stopping her!! Lol! 
She needs a LONG SHAFT outboard!!!

clearly the cabinetry and surface treatments indicate a part time job at Home Depot.  Once the shelves are stocked (front and faced I hope), the sails cannot be hoisted. 

00c0c_2xxYm7TL05A_600x450.jpg

19 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Hey leave us 6 toed folks out of it.... 

P.S. fuck agent orange

4 hours ago, floater said:

condition: excellent, and just 15K.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/berkeley-1981one-ton-class-ior-sailboat/7049007035.html

00k0k_lP0wMSlC96E_1200x900.jpg

listed. relentlessly. for perhaps 2 years now..

Looks like all of the "excellent" yacht grade stuff  has been ripped out and is being replaced with "shitty" home improvement center quality construction lumber.

And I'm sorry but I'm just not seeing this: "-Freshly painted bilge/compartments"

• Like 1
7 hours ago, impetuous_donkey said:
On 1/15/2020 at 8:45 PM, Monkey Butler said:

Hey leave us 6 toed folks out of it.... 

P.S. fuck agent orange

You're just jealous because at least 6-fingered guys got a cool sword out of it.

But honestly, if you were looking at a boat like this, would you fucking BUY it? If you were selling a boat like this, wouldn't you try and NOT take photos of huge flakes of rust... or maybe those are the good parts.... oy vey!! And the buyer was planning to making a 2nd payment!!!! Sometimes I just can't believe people....

FB- Doug

20 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

But honestly, if you were looking at a boat like this, would you fucking BUY it?

No, and I'd be stepping *very* lightly on my way back to the dock/dinghy. Just in case.

That boat is dead.

FKT

20 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

You're just jealous because at least 6-fingered guys got a cool sword out of it.

But honestly, if you were looking at a boat like this, would you fucking BUY it? If you were selling a boat like this, wouldn't you try and NOT take photos of huge flakes of rust... or maybe those are the good parts.... oy vey!! And the buyer was planning to making a 2nd payment!!!! Sometimes I just can't believe people....

FB- Doug

Wood can be replaced, fiberglass (GRP and its many variants)  can be rebuilt, but cement?  Flaky cement?  Maybe a steel boat can be essentially rebuilt but if the rust was too deep, the pitting too bad, I would never trust it. But cement with likely rusty, corroded, weak rebar as a backbone.  

I would rather put my money and life in a old, worn out plastic cooler than the boat with the issues pictured. (And I won’t do that)

My very first flight instructor explained it this way.  It is better to be on the ground, wishing you were up flying than to be up flying and wishing you were on the ground.

To paraphrase, it is better to be onshore, wishing you were sailing, than on a sinking rusty hulk, miles from shore, wishing you were on that shore.  

• Like 1

Love the title:

Squished stainless steel boat - good for materials

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/mat/d/bellingham-squished-stainless-steel/7041389917.html

00t0t_bHgjWT8MP0W_600x450.jpg

Though I must admit, I've not seen too many stainless steel boats.  Now I have!  

4 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Wood can be replaced, fiberglass (GRP and its many variants)  can be rebuilt, but cement?  Flaky cement?  Maybe a steel boat can be essentially rebuilt but if the rust was too deep, the pitting too bad, I would never trust it.

You just don't understand steel boat construction. They're relatively easy to repair and the repair is as strong as the original construction.

Ferro, OTOH - no. Once salt water has gotten to the steel armature, pretty much game over. I'd not have a ferro hull unless it was loaded with goodies and essentially free. Maybe not even then.

Though I have thought of buying a decent sized one, trucking it home & sinking it into a pit in the ground. Instant spare accommodation and - bonus - where I live, as long as I pay the annual registration fee, local government can go piss up a rope, there's nothing they can do about it.

FKT

1 hour ago, Windward said:

Love the title:

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/mat/d/bellingham-squished-stainless-steel/7041389917.html

Glad that's nearby - I need a quantity of crumpled and painted S/S.

1 hour ago, Windward said:

Love the title:

The bow fell off and the rest is buried in a dirty grave.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:44 AM, stumblingthunder said:

And speaking of puddles of rust:

https://gainesville.craigslist.org/boa/d/pensacola-sailboats/7047559875.html

00o0o_e5Y8v00Zxvf_1200x900.jpg

00j0j_4mmgDBDdumx_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_8VfTx210vxF_1200x900.jpg

"1968 Sutton steel schooner. 75' LOA. 62' Length on Deck. Built at Sutton yard in Tarpon Springs by George Sutton who also designed her. Has sailed transatlantic many times plus numerous trips to the Caribbean. Draft only 5.5' full keel, attached rudder. Main & fore mast (steel) abt. 63'(gets under most ICW bridges) Power is 150 hp Isuzu 6BD1, also has Koler 12 kw generator, Standard 600 gpd water maker, 2 AC's , 4 burner SS stove/oven.
Lay out is 4 cabins, large aft cabin with ensuite head, tub and shower. Next forward is a large eat in galley with a L shaped dining area and table. Next forward is the main salon with a L shaped settee to port and another settee to starboard, also a navigation area to port. Forward of this area is a private stateroom with double berth, sink and closet space. Next forward are 2 heads with showers. Forward of the showers are 2 double cabins with bunk beds arranged one over the other, each having a sink also. Next is a collision bulkhead. Forward of the bulkhead is a workshop, with chain locker. (Was paid crew sleeping area at one time). Tankage is 1800 gallons diesel, 600 gallons water. Refrigerator and freezer in place.(Grunert). Present owner has spent over $100K on this vessel, but sadly needs about that more spent on her. This is a MAJOR restoration project. Interior is mostly African mahogany. If you have the time and money to restore this once fine vessel please contact me, no dreamers please!! Hull is 5/16" Corten steel in poor condition. Engine and generator may have fresh water intrusion. Transmission is twin disc 506 with a 2:1 reduction, turning a 28" prop on a 2" ss shaft. Sails are included and are set-up on Hood ProFurls. (behind the mast on Main and Fore) also has 150% Genoa and loose footed staysail. May be viewed @ Pensacola Marine Complex, name is Lady Patricia. 
This boat is a major project!!"

This rust bucket?  You need a dreamer with a steel yard to take this on.

If the seller is noting that the hull is in poor condition, there may be only molecules of steel thickness left, sort of holding the water out of the boat!

- Stumbling

(Second close look at this and I think it may be a repeat.   Its shocking some of my ganglia into remembrance)

Liveaboard ready, just move on w/ your crazy hippy momma...

3 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

Maybe even a ramp to get the radio flyer from the hard to the deck w/ momma.  Hopefully a chair rigged to lower her into the bowels of the ship.

That just brought a tear to my eye. Such caring.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Maybe even a ramp to get the radio flyer from the hard to the deck w/ momma.  Hopefully a chair rigged to lower her into the bowels of the ship.

That's what the main halyard is for isn't it?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Especially once the offsite cockpit is added.

Offsite?

Either a typo or literary genius. 

A+

Neither - straight from the ad. Well, he misspelled the name so I guess typo fits.

I have a cockpit for it.
In Gordonhead.

Gordon Head is a neighbourhood in Victoria.