Mocking Ads on Craigslist

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

My sister was a movie aficionado and she told me once that "Eddie" was always a little loser in the movies - or a dog.

In "Rocky Horror Picture Show" Meatloaf = Eddie.  He is cool - until he dies early. 

I don't think that is a spoiler.  

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Ohey I send you picture...

Posted Images

Which of course reminds me of one of my favourite Eddie-from-the-movies quotes:

"This is our dog, Snot.  He's got a bit of a sinus problem."  

(Sorry for the drift.)

6 hours ago, Gabe_nyc said:

Cool Kayak !

A little disappointed that it’s not listed as “Kool Kayak” but pretty sure it belongs here (:-)

https://scranton.craigslist.org/boa/d/thompson-cool-kayak/7122150487.html

B4E0C1BD-4A26-4517-9703-DF4C0AE61ECB.jpeg

Oh, for a clearer picture of the rig!  So many questions.... It seems the sails are furled on the bottom yard, and hoist up?  They seem to be set on aft side of the mast, and so will press against it when raised?  Is that pipe insulation taped to the mast to prevent chafe?  What kind of control lines are there, and where to they lead.  Is there any kind of fin besides that rudder, so as to do anything other than sail dead downwind?  That lower sail seems to be perfectly at head height, so how in the world do you see where you’re going?  What, exactly, in the blue blazes were you sailing for 30 years that would make this thing seem like a good idea?

Well, every kid that I knew that grew up around camps and canoes at some point turned a canoe into a sailboat.  Often using sticks, old pieces of rope and a tarp.  With a good wind you could either have a fast down wind run, watch the rig collapse or get thrown into the water (or all of the above).  This is just the 'adult' version of that.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Gabe_nyc said:

Cool Kayak !

A little disappointed that it’s not listed as “Kool Kayak” but pretty sure it belongs here (:-)

https://scranton.craigslist.org/boa/d/thompson-cool-kayak/7122150487.html

B4E0C1BD-4A26-4517-9703-DF4C0AE61ECB.jpeg

i am very knowledgeable about this rig because i rigged it myself. (been sailing over 30 years) you wiull have fun with this oat."

I'm on my way with my check book. Anyone know a surveyor in Scranton?

• Like 1
On 5/20/2020 at 9:59 AM, NaClH20 said:

Sorry; I didn’t necessarily intend my comments to come across as praise (this is a mocking thread, after all).  It is pretty well done, but the seller appears to be trying to recoup some of the (considerable, probably) conversion expenses while failing to understand the difference between cost and value.

I don’t particularly get the draw of converting old lifeboats to private use, even considering that initial acquisition would be relatively cheap.  I had a career at sea, and spent a bit of time floating around in them.  They suck.  They’re intended to get the maximum number of people afloat and away from a ship, once, and that’s it.  They fail in every other aspect of being a boat, such as comfort, speed, aesthetics, mechanical durability, etc.  Sea story:  I did an internship on a liquified natural gas tanker.  It was a ball-type (as opposed to later membrane types) and was essentially triple-hulled.  It had an inner and outer hull (ballast tanks in between) and then five separate foam-insulated aluminum spheres.  We had to do a lifeboat still once a quarter that involved lowering, launching, manning, operating, and recovery (the last being the most dangerous, as davit launched lifeboats are not designed to be recovered).  The cargo engineer hated these drills, as he got seasick on small boats even in a flat calm.  His argument was that the ship could break up into five separate pieces and still remain afloat, and he would be safer clinging to one of those pieces than bobbing around in a little open lifeboat.  Hard to argue, as subsequent events in the El Faro proved.

I think there may be confusion between the concept of lifeboat and that of liberty launch.

3 hours ago, NaClH20 said:

Oh, for a clearer picture of the rig!  So many questions.... It seems the sails are furled on the bottom yard, and hoist up?  They seem to be set on aft side of the mast, and so will press against it when raised?  Is that pipe insulation taped to the mast to prevent chafe?  What kind of control lines are there, and where to they lead.  Is there any kind of fin besides that rudder, so as to do anything other than sail dead downwind?  That lower sail seems to be perfectly at head height, so how in the world do you see where you’re going?  What, exactly, in the blue blazes were you sailing for 30 years that would make this thing seem like a good idea?

00T0T_i0ME1EOBH3S_1200x900.jpg

It looks like the sails are around each yard and hoist up, so you can see underneath. Overall, looks like way too much stuff to deal with in a kayak.

4 hours ago, NaClH20 said:

Read too many Aubrey/Maturin books.

FB- Doug

• Like 1
On 6/17/2020 at 3:03 PM, Ishmael said:

That's a nice trailer for $650, and it comes with a load of firewood. Sweet!

And all the lead sinkers you'd care to make.

Think what a beauty she was as a debutante. 

A zillion years ago I was assigned to destroy a similar boat with a chainsaw. I did it but it haunts me still.

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

A zillion years ago I was assigned to destroy a similar boat with a chainsaw. I did it but it haunts me still.

That makes you a good human being. ;)

On 6/16/2020 at 11:28 AM, Ishmael said:

00T0T_i0ME1EOBH3S_1200x900.jpg

It looks like the sails are around each yard and hoist up, so you can see underneath. Overall, looks like way too much stuff to deal with in a kayak.

Original square rig roller furling.

39 minutes ago, Therapy said:

Original square rig roller furling.

thought I was looking at Maltese Falcon there for a second.

• Like 1
On 6/17/2020 at 4:23 PM, Bull City said:

It's hard to say what kind of condition it's in, but has very nice lines. It may be a good deal. Then again, maybe not.

Very hard to say. I think I would budget the cost of a new build, first rate in every way, and then decide if the older hull was worth it.  But then again, many of the older boats required such an extensive rebuild that only a few minor pieces of the original craft were left. A new boat altogether using the lines of the older craft.  

13 minutes ago, Ajax said:
12 hours ago, MikeR80 said:

Old Columbia. Probably solid glass throughout.  If the interior isn't totally trashed you could inspect the rigging and sail it away.

Yep, not a bad-sailing boat either even the shoal keel.

Whaddaya wanna bet that the interior is not just trashed, but is the equivalent of a toxic waste site? Engine? Hah!!

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Old Columbia. Probably solid glass throughout.  If the interior isn't totally trashed you could inspect the rigging and sail it away.

The interior in those things is all glass mouldings with some teak trim - I had a 43.

The biggest problem with Columbias of that era is the keel fastening - steel studs through steel channel into an iron keel.

The upside of it is that it's easy to replace.

The dead power is probably a 4-107 on a Walters V-Drive.

The Tripp Columbia's with the flush deck were popular way back. I always wondered if they were dark down below, and whether the ventilation was good. It reminds me the Lecomte Medalist 33, another Tripp design. I always liked them. The Columbia seems to have much more freeboard.

image.thumb.png.3d95966e3498d9193e5b25f3d2c2e234.png

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

The Tripp Columbia's with the flush deck were popular way back. I always wondered if they were dark down below, and whether the ventilation was good. It reminds me the Lecomte Medalist 33, another Tripp design. I always liked them. The Columbia seems to have much more freeboard.

You and Me both BC...the LeCompte is beautiful to me.

27 minutes ago, NaClH20 said:

$100k seems a wee steep for any 19’ boat, even one that is a rare collector item in pristine condition.  Which this isn’t.

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/harrison-david-carter-maine-ski-hall-of/7142606616.html

28B9C47A-BE65-4525-B0AE-363915583805.png

That is really absurd. The boat doesn't look particularly nice or well built. They "were told" that David Carter built it - uhm... so what? You could buy a much nicer wooden boat for half of that. Ridiculous.

1 hour ago, NaClH20 said:

$100k seems a wee steep for any 19’ boat, even one that is a rare collector item in pristine condition.  Which this isn’t.

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/harrison-david-carter-maine-ski-hall-of/7142606616.html

Maybe they accidentally added two (or three) zeroes on the price? I'm not a Mainer, but is the Ski Hall of Fame really such a big deal?

3 hours ago, chester said:
4 hours ago, Bull City said:

You and Me both BC...the LeCompte is beautiful to me.

Moi aussi.... take the same general aesthetic, the same nearly-flush deck & bubble cabin, you tweak the proportions a little.... et voila, the boat goes from mundane like Ford/Chevy to lovely, oui?

FB- Doug

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

I would have installed deck prisms like on the old ships, to get some light down below.

They had huge plexi hatches - my 43 was very bright below.

15 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Moi aussi.... take the same general aesthetic, the same nearly-flush deck & bubble cabin, you tweak the proportions a little.... et voila, the boat goes from mundane like Ford/Chevy to lovely, oui?

FB- Doug

Mais oui!

I smell an insurance claim in the future here.  100k is going to look funny on the report when accompanied with photo documentation.  Craigslist post and all. 

One-of-a-kind gokart built by a member of the Curling Hall of Fame: what's it worth???

As much as a cardigan sweater personally knitted by the cousin of jazz great Wes Montgomery???

One can stretch association just so far before it snaps.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

One-of-a-kind gokart built by a member of the Curling Hall of Fame: what's it worth???

As much as a cardigan sweater personally knitted by the cousin of jazz great Wes Montgomery???

One can stretch association just so far before it snaps.

A loose-leaf copy of 'Lord of the Rings" hand written by Lou Gehrig's neighbor's grandson?

An historic quilt sewn of dresses that were Woolworth copies of Jackie Kennedy's?

This could be a fun game. I think you're ahead on points but I need another beer

- DSK

• Like 1

I live in Maine and have most of my life.  I had to google David Carter (and Maine Ski Hall of Fame, for that matter), as I had never heard of him.  Turns out he was the owner/operator of a somewhat obscure but well regarded cross country ski center near Skowhegan (had to google that, too, even though I’m an active skier), and had competed professionally for a bit.  By all accounts a decent fella, and influential in his small corner of the world.  So, I’d say it’s about worth a meal made in a kitchen that Caesar Cardini is said to have visited

• Like 3
11 hours ago, NaClH20 said:

I live in Maine and have most of my life.  I had to google David Carter (and Maine Ski Hall of Fame, for that matter), as I had never heard of him.  Turns out he was the owner/operator of a somewhat obscure but well regarded cross country ski center near Skowhegan (had to google that, too, even though I’m an active skier), and had competed professionally for a bit.  By all accounts a decent fella, and influential in his small corner of the world.  So, I’d say it’s about worth a meal made in a kitchen that Caesar Cardini is said to have visited

Yeah, it's not like he won the Claudine Longet Invitational or something.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Yeah, it's not like he won the Claudine Longet Invitational or something.

Like War Games - the only way to win is not to play. :D

13 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

"One bullet hole -- above the waterline."

A cannon ball hole below the waterline in a ship with a cargo of rice.

From a nautical story (fiction)

10 points for the first guess at the book series when this event occurred. 

35 minutes ago, StoMo said:
1 hour ago, Windward said:
1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

"One bullet hole -- above the waterline."

A cannon ball hole below the waterline in a ship with a cargo of rice.

From a nautical story (fiction)

10 points for the first guess at the book series when this event occurred. 

Hornblower methinks.

Yep, Mr. Midshipman Hornblower IIRC

FB- Doug

Sorta happened in Portland Harbor a few years back - somehow they tipped a stack of containers full of lentils into the water.  By the time they could get divers in to hook up lines to them,  some had burst open.  Worlds biggest bowl of soup...  But no cannon fire, as far as I know.

1 hour ago, toddster said:

Sorta happened in Portland Harbor a few years back - somehow they tipped a stack of containers full of lentils into the water.  By the time they could get divers in to hook up lines to them,  some had burst open.  Worlds biggest bowl of soup...  But no cannon fire, as far as I know.

Island of the Daals?

Ok... So what one of you lot posted this?

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/d/bellingham-project-boat/7145984660.html

Project boat - $3000 (Bellingham)

Project boat with a lot of potential!
YES, this 21ft boat is a bow rider!
YES, this boat is still available!
YES, I can send more pictures!
YES, I will accept a cash offer for one third the asking price because cash is much better than what is usually used to purchase a boat!
YES, let’s negotiate via email sight unseen!
YES, I do have a title for the trailer

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Windward said:

YES, I will accept a cash offer for one third the asking price because cash is much better than what is usually used to purchase a boat!

Some of these should definitely go to a new thread: self-mocking craigslist ads.

20 hours ago, Autonomous said:

If the guy can understand basic vectors and figure out how to spot the thin water on a chart it could be fun.

Or not.

all  I saw in the ad was that he/she/it needed to learn how to sail.   Didn't say squat about navigation. 

just head out to the deep water and tool around for a few hours, pocket 2 benjamins, head home and take the wife out for dinner.

You all are so optimistic ... I imagine showing up at the boat, meeting some 25 year old dude glued to his cell phone and an attention span of less than 10 seconds, noticing suspect standing rigging, and heavy growth on the bottom. You decide to teach him quickly and get it over with before the winds pick up, but of course the damn boat hardly moves with all the growth and by 2 pm you are still floating at Angel Island where the winds are now gusting 25-30 knots. After losing the rig and the dude's cellphone, being towed back (and a big bill - of course he did not have tow insurance, he has a new outboard!), he is not willing nor able to "venmo" you the $200 and that is the end of that.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

You all are so optimistic ... I imagine showing up at the boat, meeting some 25 year old dude glued to his cell phone and an attention span of less than 10 seconds, noticing suspect standing rigging, and heavy growth on the bottom. You decide to teach him quickly and get it over with before the winds pick up, but of course the damn boat hardly moves with all the growth and by 2 pm you are still floating at Angel Island where the winds are now gusting 25-30 knots. After losing the rig and the dude's cellphone, being towed back (and a big bill - of course he did not have tow insurance, he has a new outboard!), he is not willing nor able to "venmo" you the $200 and that is the end of that.

Oh, it could be a lot worse. But let's look at the bright side.... he might be a nice guy who is genuinely interested. I would not be inclined to do this at all, and I'd be kind of suspicious of any old sailor who was. OTOH, thru the junior sailing program I help, I have been involved in giving "lessons" to adults who have  a boat of their own and some experience. There are a lot of big big pitfalls, including not getting paid, somebody getting hurt, the boat getting damaged.... or the boat already being damaged and the owner not knowing it and blaming you for bringing it to his/her attention (this happened to me).

I always start with the basics, with the boat as secure as it can be.... still on the trailer, in my case(s), or in it's slip. Do a walk-around first, then start seeing how familiar the student is with basic parts & terms. One of the adults I was teaching was deeply offended by this, for example. They had a small centerboard boat and I insisted on a capsize drill which was almost a deal-breaker especially after the parking lot unpleasantness. But they had never capsized and imagined it to be a super hassle and dangerous, whereas I said "It's only dangerous if you don't know how" and we went thru a fairly standard capsize drill... then I threw some problem scenarios at them and they really got into it. At the end, a big success.

It would probably be better to invite such a person to come as crew on YOUR boat one time, perhaps in a race, to see how big of a dickhead he is, before doing an "on my boat" lesson.

FB- Doug

This is borderline "Another Craigslist WTF?"

https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/wilmot-rare-1930s-handcraft-galvanized/7145694317.html

image.png.968143b21b808e88a8a87205c62bf6f5.png

Rare 1930’s Handcraft Galvanized Steel Sailboat - $550

It really does look like galvanized steel. Why?

The hull doesn't look really terrible in shape, but galvanized steel????????

Back in the old days, was there some kind of dinghy demolition derby we don't know about?

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Oh, it could be a lot worse. But let's look at the bright side.... he might be a nice guy who is genuinely interested. I would not be inclined to do this at all, and I'd be kind of suspicious of any old sailor who was. OTOH, thru the junior sailing program I help, I have been involved in giving "lessons" to adults who have  a boat of their own and some experience. There are a lot of big big pitfalls, including not getting paid, somebody getting hurt, the boat getting damaged.... or the boat already being damaged and the owner not knowing it and blaming you for bringing it to his/her attention (this happened to me).

I always start with the basics, with the boat as secure as it can be.... still on the trailer, in my case(s), or in it's slip. Do a walk-around first, then start seeing how familiar the student is with basic parts & terms. One of the adults I was teaching was deeply offended by this, for example. They had a small centerboard boat and I insisted on a capsize drill which was almost a deal-breaker especially after the parking lot unpleasantness. But they had never capsized and imagined it to be a super hassle and dangerous, whereas I said "It's only dangerous if you don't know how" and we went thru a fairly standard capsize drill... then I threw some problem scenarios at them and they really got into it. At the end, a big success.

It would probably be better to invite such a person to come as crew on YOUR boat one time, perhaps in a race, to see how big of a dickhead he is, before doing an "on my boat" lesson.

FB- Doug

Yeah, a lot worse. I would not even want to start to think about it.

Anyway, good for you and sailing! Getting people on the water and educating them to do so safely is not always easy. It is funny how everyone is accustomed to the very unlikely scenarios we all have to go through when the airplane leaves the gate. It is 100% certain that you will have to solve some problems when you are sailing! Something breaks, the wind is blowing harder than expected, from a different direction than expected, you encounter other boats. Moreover you will have to recognize potential problems before they become actual ones...

Of course, we don't know anything about this person but what gets me here is that someone buys a sailboat BEFORE learning how to sail and assumes they can pick it up in an afternoon. This is why I assume it is some 25 year old who is part of a generation that has been always told they can do anything they set their mind to. It is always the same: how hard can this sailing thing be after all. Ok, I am not bashing all millenials, but there is a tendency among many.

4 hours ago, paps49 said:

I love the final line.
Bring your tool box........

I think something hefty enough to remove a skin fitting would be all you'd need.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/steel-31-ft-round-bilge-yacht-needs-work-sydney/248999

"I feel like I need a tetanus shot just from looking at her, sir."

Pascal.jpg.960fe88f559424a4dec5a39fbcd09e08.jpg

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

And has a 90-year head start on longevity.

"Still holds water".  High praise for a yacht, indeed.

7 hours ago, paps49 said:

I love the final line.
Bring your tool box........

I think something hefty enough to remove a skin fitting would be all you'd need.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/steel-31-ft-round-bilge-yacht-needs-work-sydney/248999

how much for just the TV?

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/wilmot-rare-1930s-handcraft-galvanized/7145694317.html

Back in the old days, was there some kind of dinghy demolition derby we don't know about?

FB- Doug

Yes, some kind of experiment with materials? Quite frankly, I think the ad is hones and this could be an interesting piece to display. Not for me, but  who knows a restaurant or bar? I would certainly check it out if I saw it...

19 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

Of course, we don't know anything about this person but what gets me here is that someone buys a sailboat BEFORE learning how to sail and assumes they can pick it up in an afternoon.

I really can't understand what your problem with this approach is.

FKT

• Like 1
On 6/21/2020 at 9:25 PM, Windward said:

At least the bow didn't fall off!

• Like 1
On 6/25/2020 at 7:29 PM, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

That's the kind of item somebody somewhere would pay a ridiculous amount of money for. Put that in a boutique shop in Aspen and add a zero, it'll sell.

• Like 1
On 6/19/2020 at 1:49 PM, NaClH20 said:

Price reduced! Now only slightly overpriced at 1,200.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, bmiller said:

That's the kind of item somebody somewhere would pay a ridiculous amount of money for. Put that in a boutique shop in Aspen and add a zero, it'll sell.

It's kind of a neat little hull. I just don't see anybody with good sense picturing this boat in their mind and saying, "Yes, weld it up from steel an galvanize it, that's practical"

Decades ago, the rec center at the Naval Air Station Jax Fla had about 5 aluminum hull Lightnings. I think they had wooden masts, but my memory may be a bit faulty. They were used to run a Navy/Marine Corps challenge regatta, as well as being almost bulletproof daysailers. The story I heard was that an air crew chief saw the design in a magazine and requisitioned the aluminum to build them..... I wonder if they're still there!

FB- Doug

One of the first boats I sailed was a 14' called a Petrel - looked much like that galvanized thing but it was round bilged riveted aluminium.

Not exactly pretty but it was bulletproof - hits that would crack glass just dented it and were easily bumped out with a rubber mallet. :D

• Like 1