Mocking Ads on Craigslist

In that size of boat, restoration isn't too much of a nightmare, 'cos the interior is fairly small and simple.  There's a lot less to fix than on a 30-footer.

The really sad bit is the story of his father wanting to sail the boat across the Atlantic.  Not a great plan.

• Like 1
  • Replies 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

No, no, you've got it all wrong. My comment about only doing one circumnavigation was an example of what people call "false modesty". Or "Irony". Look it up sometime. You're just another grifter

Posted Images

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

A kid did it on a Sea Sprite decades ago so why not?

With skill and stamina, it's probably doable.  But that endurance test is a young man's adventure, not an old man's swansong

5 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

Couple of hours with a pressure washer, both outside and inside, would make a world of difference

That's bat shit crazy

15 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Yes, remove that sheet metal crossbar and you're done. That is one bizarre mod.

83720887-89A4-4F88-AFC9-EACA07FD90EC.jpg

I assume it was set up for double handed all the time? stick the helmsman begind the barrier and give them the wheel and the genoa sheets

10 minutes ago, chester said:

I assume it was set up for double handed all the time? stick the helmsman begind the barrier and give them the wheel and the genoa sheets

Sharpen the forward edge of the crossbar and it will discourage people wanting to take over the wheel.

All this sailing fun, for only $34K???

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/88187

2011 Macgregor 26M located in California for sale

26' Macgregor 26M

Year
Length
Beam
Draft
26'
'
'
California
$34,000
clear.gif

Description:
We don't downgrade; we upgrade, so this beautiful 2011, 26 foot MacGregor Sailboat with a 60 HP evinrude could be your pandemic and riot proof bugout! It has a chart plotter, auto pilot, a trickle charging solar system, and much much more! This boat also comes with the trailer, but not the Captain or First Mate!

Macgregor 26M Click to launch Larger Image

I wonder if they have waterskiis to go with that thing?

This is only a semi-mock, because the boat looks like it's gone places and seen things, and it does include storage room for skis. But this air cooled, totally open engine installation caught my eye. I can only imagine the racket...

The ad does say "The engine and battery bank are both easily accessed"

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bod/d/nordland-ft-custom-steel-cutter/7257474071.html

00W0W_5vLBfPVBekc_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

2 hours ago, andykane said:

This is only a semi-mock, because the boat looks like it's gone places and seen things, and it does include storage room for skis. But this air cooled, totally open engine installation caught my eye. I can only imagine the racket...

The ad does say "The engine and battery bank are both easily accessed"

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bod/d/nordland-ft-custom-steel-cutter/7257474071.html

00W0W_5vLBfPVBekc_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

isnt that  a Deutz aircooled? those blowers do make a racket

On 1/3/2021 at 2:03 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Well, at least he got the companionway relatively centered. I can't imagine anybody who spent any time on or around boats, or even looking at pictures of real boats, and thinking that vthisv was an appropriate "door" for getting in/out of the thing.

image.png.0ac83a94ccdd2e244cdc74376b6b1e1d.png

he touched a couple of other high points

"The boat is structurally complete. Just needs finishing touches. Located in Gwinn, MI at the home of the builder. Buyer may finish on-site. Includes: Dual hydraulic steering stations, holding tanks, 60 gal fuel tank. Available to be installed 24 mile radar fathometer, forward sonar, white spruce on site for mast, schooner or ketch rig,"

Translation: I have no equipment for moving this thing, and no idea how to go about it. No sail plan and no idea about that either, but you're welcome to cut down a couple of trees.

I bet if you contact him to go look at it, the seller will ask you to bring beer.

FB- Doug

The door was built that way on purpose after studying 1000s of door designs.

A clear advantage is that the windows allow you to watch your victims, sorry prospective buyers, sorry pandemic food source, sorry passengers, as they battle to the death over the scraps of food you toss in every now and then.

This is not a boat, as we understand the term. It’s a harvesting device.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Black Sox said:

A clear advantage is that the windows allow you to watch your victims, sorry prospective buyers, sorry pandemic food source, sorry passengers, as they battle to the death over the scraps of food you toss in every now and then.

Yikes, Black sox! Y'all wen pretty dark there!  :P

8 hours ago, Black Sox said:

That door is Brent Swain approved.

• Like 1
On 1/3/2021 at 8:10 AM, Ishmael said:

As a bonus, once the door is opened, rain and boarding seas can pour in.

When opened, the door also completely blocks the ladder.  Genius!  

What happened to the original builder?  Did he realize his multiple mistakes and kill himself??  :unsure:

1 hour ago, Winston29 said:

What happened to the original builder?  Did he realize his multiple mistakes and kill himself??  :unsure:

Hit by a door, plunged headfirst down a ladder. Coincidentally.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Aha, the name is "Taking A Chance"

Yeah, it was pretty common for the 30.30's names to be a play on the words.  My buddy owned hull #1 and it was named "Chancy".

The idea permeates through the X-Yachts and Express fleets too!

Cheers!

On 1/7/2021 at 5:03 PM, CriticalPath said:

Yeah, it was pretty common for the 30.30's names to be a play on the words.  My buddy owned hull #1 and it was named "Chancy".

The idea permeates through the X-Yachts and Express fleets too!

Cheers!

Catamarans and the Italian Asso class are equally “creative”. 

5 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

$35k for an Alberg 30 project.

And you thought the pristine better than new example on Atom Voyages was overpriced.

That boat appears to have an electric drive. So I presume that owner is unaware of the dime-on-the-dollar rule, and is trying to recoup the cost of that gadget ... despite the boat's interior appearing to be evidence of a local varnish famine.

https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/d/corpus-christi-columbia-22-sailboat/7240801990.html

Where do I start?  Have to admire the poster's optimism though. Sad ending

image.thumb.png.d53e3b6f2dd1e1caeeac8ee92a4a2b52.png

18 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

That boat appears to have an electric drive. So I presume that owner is unaware of the dime-on-the-dollar rule, and is trying to recoup the cost of that gadget ... despite the boat's interior appearing to be evidence of a local varnish famine.

The motor conversion with battery bank is at most $7500.

12 hours ago, bmiller said:

But it goes to weather at 55 mph.

It is a nice trailer.

This isn't so  much mocking, as much as just makes me want to cry.

I can only imagine what this once fine boat must be like now

image.thumb.png.3a9c6b8f2a8100e120ec96926dead7f8.png

1 hour ago, On The Hard said:

This isn't so  much mocking, as much as just makes me want to cry.

If that were on the West Coast, I would be taking a very close look...

This poor guy...

First of all: Kijiji is pretty much the Canadian version of Craigslist.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/calgary/sail-cutter/1515585636

He's trying to sell a half partial steel hull.  Currently located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

One might note the distance from Calgary to any navigable bluewater coast.  One might also note that there is a mountain range between Calgary and the nearest coast.

I wish him the best, I really do, but I feel this one is going to end up as so many razor blades.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, RogerC said:

One might note the distance from Calgary to any navigable bluewater coast.  One might also note that there is a mountain range between Calgary and the nearest coast. 

Bunch of friends, several cases of beer ... Fitzcarraldo that biotch!

6827356.0.jpg

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, RogerC said:

This poor guy...

He's trying to sell a half partial steel hull.  Currently located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

I wish him the best, I really do, but I feel this one is going to end up as so many razor blades.

neasrest as the crow flys but haul it south to the sea of cortez or the gulf and it's a straight shot with no mountain crossing required

3 hours ago, chester said:

neasrest as the crow flys but haul it south to the sea of cortez or the gulf and it's a straight shot with no mountain crossing required

Only one problem with that.

Border Wall.jpeg

• Like 3
7 hours ago, RogerC said:

This poor guy...

These broken dreams are tough to see.

J. Simpson is a competent design house. The project has potential.

7 hours ago, chester said:

Yes, but who is going to bother?

$_59.JPG

It's apparently a large structure built to keep that engine dry with some random plywood bits thrown in. 100 hours on an engine in a boat that's never been launched. Probably worth it for the bits.  

9 hours ago, RogerC said:

This poor guy...

I looked at those pictures and while the building/welding all looks well done, I see wooden boat features that make no sense on a steel hull and massive future rust traps that are going to be really difficult to maintain.

Hard to say if it's reasonable value or not - depends on what all the stuff that goes with the boat is worth. The hull as-is in its unfinished state is worthless really. Too much effort needed to finish it when there are a lot already in the water. I passed on a similar deal recently (well I resisted going to look at it until it went away.... just in case it followed me home)

FKT

"ready to sail" - I wouldn't want to be below while tacking, one would be buried alive in junk...

Interesting paint job.

I count at least 4 outboards.

Some of the electronics,sailing gear harness,life raft , techsun ssb radio,handheld ,laptop gps,generator,vhf,refrigerator,solar panels won't be going with boat,what I'm asking 5000obo or close to that you will get the boat,all the sails,the main outboard,with the boat the self steering vane, lifejackets and bare boat also a boat dinghy with electric motors cabin gonna need new cushions so you can customize or make your own

So you dont need to clean it by yourself

12 hours ago, toddster said:

There is a lot of... cargo on that little boat.

00e0e_gE5SdbsxtUjz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg 

If you're going to clutter your foredeck with a hard dinghy, at least get a classic or something more visually appealing. That thing is a tub.

33 minutes ago, Ajax said:

If you're going to clutter your foredeck with a hard dinghy, at least get a classic or something more visually appealing. That thing is a tub.

The key to life on a small boat is multi tasking. Yes it's a tub.

In the same theme, it can be paddled with a shovel

FB- Doug

It often seems to be liveaboards who do this. Someone should tell these folks that boats don't comp with dirt home prices.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:20 AM, Steam Flyer said:

The key to life on a small boat is multi tasking. Yes it's a tub.

In the same theme, it can be paddled with a shovel

FB- Doug

Not enuf people will appreciate this reference.^^^

uGtnoBPnE8UlNyHiW84K1zPjxNI1lTQYNCTVqCF8ADXxI3ZU917EN7V5L82SDJ11UNpN4QxjAAaKXIb9EI3UJpcpJlWaI1nEL9w9WJ3jMWww0G_9ZflxxH8

• Like 1

Hey, here we go. Hope this hasn't been posted before. From the deplorable side (facebook marketplace)

"23 Foot Bill Garden Pilothouse sloop Perfect for a summer in the Gulf Islands Has a newer Honda 9.9 HP Four Stoke, Runs clean and quiet. Electric start, Full set of sails For Sale or Trade for what have you.
Diesel Furnace
Stereo
Marine Head
Anchor windless Upgrade
Self tailing winches
2014 Honda ESpec Four stroke 9.9 HP
Full keel with Bulbous Lead wing
Fresh paint top to bottom"

Screenshot_20210124-233717_Chrome.thumb.jpg.37697486f7c9f3efc15c4241ec5326c6.jpgScreenshot_20210124-233702_Chrome.thumb.jpg.47d9f5765f1df61763d72da385123951.jpgScreenshot_20210124-233648_Chrome.thumb.jpg.67ebc5ba9e881b41d5062c26c202e026.jpg

I have never seen a teak grate (typically intended for cockpit sole) re-purposed as a table.  

Thinking of all the feet that trod on that grate would make me lose my appetite.  

And I don't think a grate makes a very effective table.  

You've led a sheltered life...

https://www.google.com/search?q=teak+outdoor+table+grated&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk03Ou1DoOhNoFKe7eDx-bX85dBdFZw:1611586277566&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj2neXcqrfuAhWiSTABHVT_A3AQ_AUoAnoECA0QBA&biw=1280&bih=607

There's a set of outdoor teak furniture with grated dining and side tables that looks and works great at the house I bought for my ex...

Cheers!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ajax said:

It's 2021. Why do these photos look as if they were taken with a 750 pixel digital camera?

They were probably taken in 2000. You should see the boat now. 

3 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

Yes, I obviously have.  Thank you Mr Path.  And you say they work "great".  Clever.   (Great?  Grate?  get it?   hahahha).  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=teak+outdoor+table+grated&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk03Ou1DoOhNoFKe7eDx-bX85dBdFZw:1611586277566&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj2neXcqrfuAhWiSTABHVT_A3AQ_AUoAnoECA0QBA&biw=1280&bih=607

There's a set of outdoor teak furniture with grated dining and side tables that looks and works great at the house I bought for my ex...

Cheers!

We used a grated folding Ikea table that  as a cockpit table for years.  We enjoyed many  meals without a problem 

10 hours ago, Bugsy said:

I have never seen a teak grate (typically intended for cockpit sole) re-purposed as a table.  

Thinking of all the feet that trod on that grate would make me lose my appetite.

i can't see the problem. Wash it, give it a bit of a sanding, and enjoy your meal.

12 hours ago, Bugsy said:

And I don't think a grate makes a very effective table.  

Think of all the animals and insects that took a shit on vegetables and fruits that later you ate.

On 1/22/2021 at 6:05 AM, Diarmuid said:

Not enuf people will appreciate this reference.^^^

uGtnoBPnE8UlNyHiW84K1zPjxNI1lTQYNCTVqCF8ADXxI3ZU917EN7V5L82SDJ11UNpN4QxjAAaKXIb9EI3UJpcpJlWaI1nEL9w9WJ3jMWww0G_9ZflxxH8

i do, ..... says he counting his fingers..........

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bmiller said:

At least they don't want you to pay for the privilege of hauling away their trash.

THE SAILBOAT IS FREE. All you need to do is pump it out and trailer it away.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/89451

5.capedorysideviewwithdentv2.jpg

8.capedoryinsidev2.jpg

That'll buff right out

The guy should have thought of drilling holes in the bottom to let the water out

FB- Doug

55 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:
1 hour ago, Marcjsmith said:

that port side aft "stilt"  that is ripe for NQR

Improves its IOR rating a treat, tho.

Sure, but let's be fair.... the IOR rating is supposed to be for it's speed thru the water, NOT vertically

FB- Doug

56 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Improves its IOR rating a treat, tho.

Kind of like the dimples on a golf ball?

29 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Kind of like the dimples on a Finngulf 34:

Osmosis-blister-repair-768x1024.jpg

On 12/15/2020 at 4:14 PM, Diarmuid said:

Wit attributed to Winston Churchill, though it sounds to me more like GB Shaw. ;) That rule and many others (split infinitive, etc) can be traced directly to 17th and 18th century prescriptivists -- people who thought English should follow the rules of classical Latin and Greek. But of course, English is not of that ilk. English is Dutch, give or take a Frisian. Germanic languages certainly may split infinitives, end sentences with prepositions, and pile auxiliary verbs seven deep. I shade toward the 'grouchy descriptivist' camp, where usage is determined organically and may change with time, though we might snark about it. So most of my peeves involve people who use words without knowing their meanings. Like 'unique' (without equal; a one-off) or 'irregardless' (pointless mangling of the word 'regardless') or, famously, this:

princess-bride-14-4.jpg?width=300&name=princess-bride-14-4.jpg

Eventually 'very unique' visigoths will breach our snark defenses, kill all grammarians within the town, and declare themselves the new reality. I'll be one of the dead underfoot, and that's okay. ;) That sort of blood-drenched turnover is how English got so cool.

Hopefully the thread worn phrase, "like no other" is among the collateral damage of the battle.

To hear that spoken is like fingernails on a blackboard to me.