Mocking Ads on Craigslist

• Replies 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

No, no, you've got it all wrong. My comment about only doing one circumnavigation was an example of what people call "false modesty". Or "Irony". Look it up sometime. You're just another grifter

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

The outside of this old Shannon doesn't quite prepare you for all that is to be found down below...

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/boa/d/wilmington-43-shannon-cutter-sailboat/7271078064.html

"This boat has suffered some haul and rudder damage. Repairs have been started on the inner haul."

Eek.

00x0x_5TGL8idR8x3z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

I wonder if the microwave works. 

3 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

The outside of this old Shannon doesn't quite prepare you for all that is to be found down below...

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/boa/d/wilmington-43-shannon-cutter-sailboat/7271078064.html

"This boat has suffered some haul and rudder rutter damage. Repairs have been started on the inner haul."

FIFY. Gotta get the Craigs List Speak right.

18 hours ago, Mid said:

still mad at China ?

Funny thing about China trying to fuck over the Australian economy - it's not working out too well.

Sure some sectors are suffering but overall - meh.

The really good thing is, the nice places aren't crowded with tourists trying to take that perfect selfie, and top quality local produce stays local.

I hope they continue to boycott our foodstuffs etc going forward. They want to have second quality at a higher price, who am I to complain?

Land prices are going stupid too as mainlanders try to retreat from the big capital cities to Tasmania. I've had a couple totally unsolicited offers for my place - as if.

We'll see if this lasts when winter arrives though...

FKT

On 2/3/2021 at 11:50 AM, WGWarburton said:

Not sure if this counts as on topic (ebay uk, not Craigslist) but could this be the worst boat buy ever?

70' ferro, currently underwater:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/used-sailing-yachts/393116937144?hash=item5b87986bb8:g:Ez4AAOSw8aZgFza4

There are a couple of pictures of it prior to sinking; they don't encourage.

Cheers,

W.

Made the industry press:

https://marineindustrynews.co.uk/controversy-as-70ft-boat-sinks-in-brixham-harbour/?fbclid=IwAR14wIMbM2y7TCqGlB-Jh7UJIYlrShiZeUfZdAnzwSDY8zJDg-0AVSzIzT0

An opportunity to buy a £100,000 liability for £50 (though oddly enough it seems there were no bids).

No rudder, though, apparently... damn; it's always the little details that ruin a bargain :-)

Cheers,

W.

Edited by WGWarburton
auction closed.
20 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

"This boat has suffered some haul and rudder damage. Repairs have been started on the inner haul."

you can actually SMELL those pictures

00q0q_ccG6ix0MyUDz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

19 hours ago, toddster said:

Holy Project, Batman!  When they say "hull # 1" that's exactly what they mean!

00v0v_4VgLG1mFoAIz_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/d/portland-cascade-29-sailboat/7270483714.html

"Serious inquiries only please." Does that mean you have to frown and furrow your brow when you offer $5.

On 2/3/2021 at 1:50 PM, WGWarburton said:

Not sure if this counts as on topic (ebay uk, not Craigslist) but could this be the worst boat buy ever?

70' ferro, currently underwater:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/used-sailing-yachts/393116937144?hash=item5b87986bb8:g:Ez4AAOSw8aZgFza4

There are a couple of pictures of it prior to sinking; they don't encourage.

Cheers,

W.

Updated:

This listing was ended by the seller because the item was lost or broken.

I wonder if underwater currents have taken it away as it clearly was broken already.

Why spend 6 figures disposing of it. The Channel is paved with wrecked boats all the way up to battleships.

Keep it afloat with pumps and tow it out to deep water.

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

"Serious inquiries only please." Does that mean you have to frown and furrow your brow when you offer $5.

"Sarcasm not appreciated." Also, no tire-kickers. Which is a shame, cuz there are many tires there to kick.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

A C&C Columbia 45?

I wonder if this is the same guy that sold a Swan Hughes 35 over there a year or two ago?

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/qualicum-beach-45-cc-columbia-sailboat/7272884892.html

image.png.8bcec7dd29af5dadeddc96397e44bd30.png

Broker saw CC in the header and assumed it was C&C and not a Center Cockpit. At least the pictures are right side up. Another fade to plaid interior.

00y0y_cq12ZwCCJ6Dz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Yes - those boats are huge - that main saloon is like a small apartment living room and most of them are outfitted with furniture rather than built in stuff.

I once owned a Columbia 43 (same hull) and when I went on a 45 I couldn't believe it was the same basic boat - it appeared easily twice the size.

30 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:
5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If that was glass it would be 85% done but wood?

at least most of the wood is there...and it looks dry.

Is it wood or is it mulch

FB- Doug

12 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

probably too many nails and fasteners in it to use as mulch.

Well, iron is good for plants

Bronze, I dunno. Lead, definitely no.

Hey, my advice is free and worth every penny!

FB- Doug

10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If that was glass it would be 85% done but wood?

are those a glass hull with everything else teak ?

why does he have a kiln on deck ? or what is that  orange thing 

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Lotta ribs for glass.

Construction:  Wood or FG per sailboat data
In 1963, keeping the teak model in production, they came out with a fiberglass model (the type II) with a slightly larger trunk cabin,
ribs look very thin maybe just stiffing for the glass hull ?
note no plank lines inside or out with ribs not going to the deck/hull joint

Could be glass. I would think that if it was wood in that condition we would see more light inside. You should see cracks at least around sternpost.

46 minutes ago, mcsailor0303 said:

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/boa/d/cascade-locks-have-you-seen-this-boat/7276836966.html

Have you seen this Boat please call (Cascade Locks)

65ft chris craft wood boat cant fined it if you see it please call me show contact info

Well, that's embarrassing. A new riff on "I can't find my home".

That little hole it's pictured in is pretty shallow - the entrance has maybe 6 feet.  Maybe 15 in the middle, though I can't recall exactly.  beaconrock.thumb.jpg.9004998a4df13c520a37ce1fe437ed25.jpg

It's a pretty enough little anchorage, except that brown line that curves along the shore at the upper left is the Burlington Northern main line and freight trains thunder through there all night.  And that's also the only spot that's deep enough to anchor. 

The Coast Guard had a wreck salvaged just across the river from there last summer, but I thought that was an old tug.  If it were actually at Cascade Locks - well the water is deep and anything that floats would wash up at Bonneville Dam.  

4 minutes ago, bmiller said:

what a good deal... doesn't mention a mast, so we assume there isn't one.... no rigging, no sails, no tires on the "trailer"... no clue

but this is also the first boat in a while that I didn't recognize instantly... Bristol?

FB- Doug

23 minutes ago, d'ranger said:
1 hour ago, andykane said:

Strange choice to use a bunch of photos of drop cloths to advertise this set of used sails in "superb condition".

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/auburn-superb-condition-sails-for-32ft/7277622437.html

Is there an Antiques Sailshow? This would be perfect for it.  Or a Guess what vintage these are. 

Serious WTF

image.png.4db554e7c7d4a69c6fbb897e5979675d.png

Somehow that just does not go well with

Superb condition sails ... Genoa like new or nearly nev

When was the last time a professional sailmaker seized 3-strand to an edge of the sail for a bolt rope? I'm guess at least 40 years ago, maybe 50.

And even if it's not old as fuck, that's still not "superb condition." Corroded bronze hardware is not "superb"

FB- Doug

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Is there an Antiques Sailshow? This would be perfect for it.  Or a Guess what vintage these are. 

Mariner 32?

Probably 40 years old.

5 hours ago, chester said:

Nice looking boat though

Mmm, not bad, the thing that intrigues me is the successively sized ports in the trunk. I've seen a couple of designs try it and it has always looked ugly. This boat kinda pulls it off. That's a very esoteric point though.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, shebeen said:

I like it

s-l800.webp

Well, the wing tanks are a little overdone, the racks interfere with the tiller... you'd think the clever 3D draftsman would have noticed this... but I really like the raised tabernacle with the Buddhist shrine/cupholders built-in.

FB- Doug

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I like it

s-l800.webp

Well, the wing tanks are a little overdone, the racks interfere with the tiller... you'd think the clever 3D draftsman would have noticed this... but I really like the raised tabernacle with the Buddhist shrine/cupholders built-in.

FB- Doug

A dinghy with training wheels?

• Like 1

Wow, free??  Sign me up!  https://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/d/yuba-city-chris-craft-house-boat/7263671777.html

Sellers says they don't have a ladder to access the interior to take photos, and haven't seen the inside in 20 years, but it does come with a set of brand-new, chrome handrails, so who cares what the inside looks like?  

And all you have to do to get this beauty home is hire a truck and crew with a crane.  

01010_9sWkQrjHkQlz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Pretty festive for a hulk!

00H0H_28ktdhDZA9Dz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/anacortes-downeaster-38-sailboat-project/7276606274.html

Love this line:

"I'm pretty sure it can never go back into Seattle city limits as a home, and I can explain to you the stuff I signed about that."

Reminds me of a great sitcom line that I can't seem to dredge up right now.  I try to remember to use it whenever someone says "Are you sure you can't __(insert undesired activity)___."  

"Oh yes, the judge was most explicit!"  

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, toddster said:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/anacortes-downeaster-38-sailboat-project/7276606274.html

Love this line:

"I'm pretty sure it can never go back into Seattle city limits as a home, and I can explain to you the stuff I signed about that."

Reminds me of a great sitcom line that I can't seem to dredge up right now.  I try to remember to use it whenever someone says "Are you sure you can't __(insert undesired activity)___."  

I am totally stealing that.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

^^ Some extra wood too so you can finish building it. Cool!

Looks more like bits that fell off. They haven't come across a ladder in 20 years?

They haven't seen the interior for those 20 years? That sounds delightful.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, toddster said:

00H0H_28ktdhDZA9Dz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Love this line:

It's like they have never heard the phrase "Statutes of Limitation."

13 hours ago, Winston29 said:

And all you have to do to get this beauty home is hire a truck and crew with a crane.  

01010_9sWkQrjHkQlz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Or a chainsaw and a dumpster, and a truck for the two engines that may (?) be worth something

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Here's half a boat at less than half the price:

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/new-bern-50-fr-barge/7278513925.html

50 fr barge - $100 (New Bern)

00Z0Z_bdzxonRmb9yz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

01616_iDtBWjcaaWLz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00s0s_9VOk4ZZAYzYz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

"Would make a fantastic duck blind"

No, I think the ducks would have to be not just blind but deaf and have no sense of smell, too

Sad thing, I know exactly where this is and whose "boat" it used to be. And no I am not going on a reporting expedition. Let this one die quietly

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

"Would make a fantastic duck blind"

No, I think the ducks would have to be not just blind but deaf and have no sense of smell, too

Sad thing, I know exactly where this is and whose "boat" it used to be. And no I am not going on a reporting expedition. Let this one die quietly

FB- Doug

Steam could you at least locate the top half for us? Did the owner sawzall the thing in two? 

I'm also curious about the existence of that one piece of shiny cabin sole. It looks like it may be worth $10

19 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Steam could you at least locate the top half for us? Did the owner sawzall the thing in two? 

I'm also curious about the existence of that one piece of shiny cabin sole. It looks like it may be worth $10

The top half had slowly rotted and/or collapsed and/or been half-competently replaced by parts of two different camper trailers, and some blue tarp.

It should have been towed out of the environment long ago. It has been one of those housing alternatives to sleeping under a bridge for a couple of years.

Actually, the lower half of the hull is probably still sound enough to make a good shed roof if you can haul it inland, turn it upside down, and prop it up securely.

FB- Doug

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Here's half a boat at less than half the price:

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/new-bern-50-fr-barge/7278513925.html

50 fr barge - $100 (New Bern)

00Z0Z_bdzxonRmb9yz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

01616_iDtBWjcaaWLz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00s0s_9VOk4ZZAYzYz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

I believe the nautical term is 'razee.' Long and noble tradition.

Haven't seen a Trojan that cut up since Achilles hunted Hector down outside the walls of Ilium.

• Like 4

I'm not mocking this because I think it's stupid.  Personally I think it's pretty cool, but who in CL Land is going to have half a million dollars to drop on a giant like that?! :o

It seems like there would be more serious places to list a commercial, purpose-built, vessel with a hefty price tag like that.  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/120-foot-landing-craft-lcm8-lcu-trades/7279036063.html

00k0k_k5F5SG7g9vO_600x450.jpg

00R0R_coNeAM1L7CN_600x450.jpg

00q0q_4EJ4MqUINtO_600x450.jpg

5 minutes ago, Winston29 said:

but who in CL Land is going to have half a million dollars to drop on a giant like that?! :o

The answer is obvious if you think about it: The same kind of sucker who bought it and is now trying to sell it! :lol:

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Winston29 said:

I'm not mocking this because I think it's stupid.  Personally I think it's pretty cool, but who in CL Land is going to have half a million dollars to drop on a giant like that?! :o

It seems like there would be more serious places to list a commercial, purpose-built, vessel with a hefty price tag like that.  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/120-foot-landing-craft-lcm8-lcu-trades/7279036063.html

00k0k_k5F5SG7g9vO_600x450.jpg

00R0R_coNeAM1L7CN_600x450.jpg

00q0q_4EJ4MqUINtO_600x450.jpg

Looking at the load it can carry, i might add that it is some serious piece of hardware.  

However, it has been some time since the members of the United States Armed Forces needed to make an amphibious landing against a hostile force.  So serious or not, it would not seem to have much practical use 

33 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

Looking at the load it can carry, i might add that it is some serious piece of hardware.  

However, it has been some time since the members of the United States Armed Forces needed to make an amphibious landing against a hostile force.  So serious or not, it would not seem to have much practical use 

Well, it's in the wrong part of the country for me to be seriously interested, but yeah, it's a serious-ass piece of hardware! It would make an awesome cruising boat, in some respects... just park a big camper bus (or two) aboard for added facilities.

I'm trying to think of an application in coastal construction. But in this states, the environmental authorities would frown heavily on the destruction & havoc this would wreak on any natural, undeveloped waterfront you want to park it on, to bring equipment or material.... and it wouldn't be profitable for any developed property with a road going to it. So the best fit would be for a state agency (like the military). Very expensive toy!

FB- Doug

That thing has been listed on and off for years.

There are or have been use cases for them.  Seems like private ferry for a group of well-heeled island owners might be the best bed.  The construction industry seems well-stocked already with an ecosystem of small cheap barges that can be pushed up the the beach.  When I was a kid, one guy had a military surplus amphibious vehicle that he used to run cattle out to sandbar islands in the Columbia River, but such things were much cheaper back then.  I doubt many of those islands are in private ownership any more. Unless they're tribal.  

Come to think of it, I may have seen that vessel on a tribally-owned beach before.  Maybe that's where it lives.  

3 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

There is quite a bit of demand for landing craft in the islands here - we have over 40,000 islands and only some of the biggest have ferry service.

That said, one that size would not likely be a paying proposition.

On 2/19/2021 at 12:53 PM, SloopJonB said:

There is quite a bit of demand for landing craft in the islands here - we have over 40,000 islands and only some of the biggest have ferry service.

That said, one that size would not likely be a paying proposition.

My uncle had a house on an island in Maine. Anything too big for an OB skiff was brought in by a local waterman with a big enough boat. There may not be many places where you make money with a boat like this landing craft,  but there are probably a few. Maybe you can get attached to some large construction project...

• Like 1