Mocking Ads on Craigslist

On 2/23/2021 at 10:04 AM, Steam Flyer said:

They have so little buoyancy, IMHO they make rather poor ones. Better than nothing, I suppose

FB- Doug

Better stick to the tiny tris where the 1 man crew is stuck in the main hull.

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

No, no, you've got it all wrong. My comment about only doing one circumnavigation was an example of what people call "false modesty". Or "Irony". Look it up sometime. You're just another grifter

Posted Images

On 2/21/2021 at 10:02 AM, SemiSalt said:

My uncle had a house on an island in Maine. Anything too big for an OB skiff was brought in by a local waterman with a big enough boat. There may not be many places where you make money with a boat like this landing craft,  but there are probably a few. Maybe you can get attached to some large construction project...

Savary Island (summer pop ~2000+) is one of the most populated BC islands without a scheduled ferry service. It and some neighboring islands are served by a phalanx of water taxis out of Lund as well as a landing craft with room for two cars and a has flying bridge so no deck space is wasted. This would seem to be a pretty optimal size for a commercial operation for tourists and off-season cabin building.  For larger projects like logging operations, the usual approach seems to be tugs and barges, so the craft above seems, like a 70' sailing yacht which needs, but isn't big enough for a crew, to be in the landing craft valley of death, . 

maxresdefault.jpg

49 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Have those things taken over from Buccaneers as "worst sailboat ever made"?

Kinda seems like it.

Whats wrong with Buccaneers?

Buccaneer 18 Class Association

2017 Buccaneer 18 North Americans >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News

• Like 3
4 hours ago, cianclarke said:

Er - I might have taken some creative liberty with the screenshot. :D

OK, we'll blame you for everything for a month. A galactic month.

On February 25, 2021 at 5:29 PM, cianclarke said:

Er - I might have taken some creative liberty with the screenshot. :D

You Sir, are a genius. 

• Like 1
On 2/19/2021 at 8:04 AM, toddster said:

That thing has been listed on and off for years.

There are or have been use cases for them.  Seems like private ferry for a group of well-heeled island owners might be the best bed.  The construction industry seems well-stocked already with an ecosystem of small cheap barges that can be pushed up the the beach.  When I was a kid, one guy had a military surplus amphibious vehicle that he used to run cattle out to sandbar islands in the Columbia River, but such things were much cheaper back then.  I doubt many of those islands are in private ownership any more. Unless they're tribal.  

Come to think of it, I may have seen that vessel on a tribally-owned beach before.  Maybe that's where it lives.  

There are 5 smaller barges that do steady work in the San Juans. I drive a 70'er and its the smallest of them. Most are purpose built barges, some are conversions. At least one is an old LMC.

Since 911 no fuel with an octane higher than diesel can go on the State Ferries. So propane, AV gas and gasoline all go by small barge ferry. That accounts for about half of the barge work. The rest is shuttling to islands not served by the state ferries.

So, a boat like that is a bit big for here but would probably be fairly busy up in the inside passage.

End hijack

WL

• Like 2
On 2/26/2021 at 12:47 PM, Autonomous said:

Thanks, it turns out both ways look wrong. Gonna find me a better month.

Pope Gregory was like, "We need one month with only twenty eight days to make the math work. Can we all agree February sucks?"

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Diarmuid said:
On 2/26/2021 at 7:47 PM, Autonomous said:

Thanks, it turns out both ways look wrong. Gonna find me a better month.

Pope Gregory was like, "We need one month with only twenty eight days to make the math work. Can we all agree February sucks?"

"Holy Father, the maths would also work if we had only 30 days each in July and August.  Then we could could avoid any reduction in the spiritually-cleansing suffering of February."

"F8ck off back to Spain, Torquemeda."

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

"Holy Father, the maths would also work if we had only 30 days each in July and August.  Then we could could avoid any reduction in the spiritually-cleansing suffering of February."

"F8ck off back to Spain, Torquemeda."

Strangely enough, I still run out of money before I run out of month.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, gt-MTb said:

We all live in a yellow submarine....  
00s0s_eOHGumuKMo9z_0gw0co_1200x900.jpg

but really, looks like TLC must have been part of the head decor... or would you call that dècor???

00c0c_1GtbHT49IOqz_0co0gw_1200x900.jpg

https://mobile.craigslist.org/boa/d/gallion-phil-bolger-designed-as29/7284416573.html

That's nasty. It would be like living in a cardboard box full of Pepto-Bismol.

Edit: Is that bread on the top shelf? Eew.

• Like 1

A mock for putting a fishing gear item in the Boat section; a black mark for selling a way to poison yourself

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/hampton-sinker-molds/7284299998.html

sinker molds - $400 (Hampton)

melting pot with hose hook up , 8 sinker molds trolling. bank & pyramid rigging eyelets, swivels and some lead for melting 400 for all

53 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

A mock for putting a fishing gear item in the Boat section; a black mark for selling a way to poison yourself

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/hampton-sinker-molds/7284299998.html

sinker molds - $400 (Hampton)

melting pot with hose hook up , 8 sinker molds trolling. bank & pyramid rigging eyelets, swivels and some lead for melting 400 for all

??

Because making sinkers is such a booming business?

FB- Doug

13 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

(Sings:) Flintstones... meet the Flintstones... 

I'm thinking Roy Underhill and The Woodwrights Shop.

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

??

FB- Doug

Soft lead scrap price currently $0.67USD/lb; clean ingots for use selling $3/lb. Tough times for lead sinker startups. Besides, the future isn't casting fishing weights -- it's 3D printing them! /s

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

??

FB- Doug

Casting lead at home:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Autonomous said:
8 hours ago, bmiller said:

"This particular one has a custom hull (a few hundred lbs) that makes it ultra-stable (it won’t capsize even in severe wind)."

All righty then...

It's amazing the length people will go to, to avoid learning to sail

The Coronado 15 is a quite a nice boat and started out with a good bit of reserve stability and buoyancy. The NC State Sailing Club had a fleet of them, we sailed the hell out of those boats.

That "steering wheel" is amazing enough, but the other pic in the add seems to show this poor boat has had a full keel added to it. Any bets on what kind of moronicity was performed on the rig (other than adding turnbuckles from a screen door)?

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's amazing the length people will go to, to avoid learning to sail

The Coronado 15 is a quite a nice boat and started out with a good bit of reserve stability and buoyancy. The NC State Sailing Club had a fleet of them, we sailed the hell out of those boats.

That "steering wheel" is amazing enough, but the other pic in the add seems to show this poor boat has had a full keel added to it. Any bets on what kind of moronicity was performed on the rig (other than adding turnbuckles from a screen door)?

FB- Doug

don't be a stooge for Big Rigging

• Like 2

This one's practically free... But you can't look inside it!  One wonders just what's in there?

The previous owner, I'd guess. Oh, but it must be something that makes it an "excellent investment."  Hmmm... ???

01010_ijdljG3g4EXz_0lM0CI_600x450.jpg

Winner of bidding must tow boat out within 24hrs and cannot climb inside boat without Liability release to the storage facility. Bring your own ladder if you want to see the inside once you have paid in full. Excellent investment.

34 minutes ago, toddster said:

This one's practically free... But you can't look inside it!  One wonders just what's in there?

The previous owner, I'd guess. Oh, but it must be something that makes it an "excellent investment."  Hmmm... ???

Winner of bidding must tow boat out within 24hrs and cannot climb inside boat without Liability release to the storage facility. Bring your own ladder if you want to see the inside once you have paid in full. Excellent investment.

Those auction rules are kind of funny. I had a rather chatty appliance repair guy work on our dishwasher a few years ago. He regularly bid on abandoned/unpaid storage units. Sometimes it was a jackpot, sometimes not. I cannot imagine paying $400 for a boat like that without being able to inspect it. You know it's no jackpot.

8 hours ago, toddster said:

It's like those blind container auctions.

Hafta be a gambler.

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

How many dead bodies could you stash inside that hull?

Asking for a friend.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Asking for a friend.

If you wait for the lower ones to moulder a bit and keep the garboard drain open, nearly an indefinite number.

I've been adding kitchen scraps to the compost barrel for two years since last empty, and it never seems to fill all the way up.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

So, question. Why would you build a fantastically obsolete boat 'replica' in a 100% different material from the original? Like, if you think it worthwhile  upgrading to steel hull, aluminum sticks, and SS rigging ... why not apply these materials to a design that wasn't an 1840s oyster boat?

54 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I can't see any part of that boat that relates to Capt. Slocum; it sure ain't a Spray replica.  Unless you count that Harley throw.  Slocum was a Harley man for sure.

40 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Just think of the biker action that master cabin mattress has seen...:o

That's appetizing. $115K? He's on drugs.

$_59.JPG

50 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:
6 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Asking for a friend.

If you wait for the lower ones to moulder a bit and keep the garboard drain open, nearly an indefinite number.

I've been adding kitchen scraps to the compost barrel for two years since last empty, and it never seems to fill all the way up.

What about the bones?  Don't they take a bit longer to rot?

Or are you one of those weird people who doesn't put bones-of-neighbour in the compost heap? ;) 

9 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Or are you one of those weird people who doesn't put bones-of-neighbour in the compost heap? ;) 

Wood chipper.

5 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:
15 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Wood chipper.

You are Gaear Grimsrud AICMFP ;) 

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That's appetizing. $115K? He's on drugs.

$_59.JPG

I don't understand what you can find being wrong with this boat.

Personally, I particularly appreciate the Jackson Pollock influence in the electrical wiring in the engine room.

image.thumb.png.a6aad391bc66231cfb52ce8b68fe3f40.png

• Like 2
13 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

How many dead bodies could you are stashed inside that hull?

Asking for a friend.

Fixed it for you.    Why do think they won’t let you look inside until after you bought.

7 minutes ago, chester said:

is that dry wall?

$_59.JPG

Should use greenboard on a sailboat. Fucking amateurs. 

Also you need to tape or batten that seam to meet fire code.

25 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Should use greenboard on a sailboat. Fucking amateurs. 

Also you need to tape or batten that seam to meet fire code.

38 minutes ago, chester said:

is that dry wall?

$_59.JPG

Clarification required - are those coat hooks, electrical insulators or bulbless lighting fixtures?

2 hours ago, chester said:

is that dry wall?

$_59.JPG

Momentarily.

Those are quite monumental coat hooks. My father had a saying "his eyes stood out like chapalatpegs". He was from northern England, so it took me a long time (I was maybe 25) to understand that he was talking about chapel hat pegs.

How well do they work as wire looms?

I wonder if that's all an example of the original exacting standards or of the exacting standards of the rebuild.

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

How well do they work as wire looms?

I wonder if that's all an example of the original exacting standards or of the exacting standards of the rebuild.

It has been a long time since I read Slocum's book.  I do not doubt he had a coat hook or two.  I often questioned designers of boats I have had and not having a convenient place to hang gear upon cabin entry was high on the list.

Sort of like no decent trash receptacle in American cars.  We have to make our own. No, we don't just use the floorboard. 

2 hours ago, Therapy said:

Sort of like no decent trash receptacle in American cars.  We have to make our own. No, we don't just use the floorboard. 

That's what God made the passenger footwell for.  Just pick it up when you stop driving, which is much safer than trying to aim for a bin while driving.

14 hours ago, chester said:

is that dry wall?

$_59.JPG

There's a photo of Spray's electrical set up in Slocum's book. It looks exactly like that.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Bull City said:
14 hours ago, chester said:

$_59.JPG

There's a photo of Spray's electrical set up in Slocum's book. It looks exactly like that.

:lol:

Cap'n Josh knew the value and strength of well-placed duct tape... as well as it's superior electrical properties.

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

There's also a photo of him on page 63 with his Harley.

I am quietly amused by the people who want to "replicate" Slocum's boat.

Apparently they never read his book or they would know that even he didn't really like the boat much. He was broke and was given a 1/2 rotten oyster dredger and he made it work because he was a consummate seaman, not because it was a good or appropriate boat.

There are probably worse designs for sailing around the world but I'm not aware of any of them.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Apparently they never read his book or they would know that even he didn't really like the boat much. He was broke and was given a 1/2 rotten oyster dredger and he made it work because he was a consummate seaman, not because it was a good or appropriate boat.

There are probably worse designs for sailing around the world but I'm not aware of any of them.

204fdef6462e25b11d7fcf9ebecb1f80.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

204fdef6462e25b11d7fcf9ebecb1f80.jpg

AC45-capsize-Russell-Coutts-Reuters.jpg.1325b5af2f78ee3b1a4710cc202d26c8.jpg

I would say that the Slocum 54 ("built in Toronto in 1984 to exacting standards") is aptly named: DIVINE MADNESS

Hmm... well it seems that I have been banned from Craigslist without possibility of appeal.  Kind of a mystery, but the only activity I've had for several months is copying items to this thread.  So maybe a cautionary tale...

And just when I had a choice selection of useless crap vintage gear to offer up. :(

On 3/6/2021 at 7:41 PM, chester said:

$_59.JPG

On 3/6/2021 at 8:20 PM, luminary said:

Clarification required - are those coat hooks, electrical insulators or bulbless lighting fixtures?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

That's odd, I never realized New Mexico was part of the Rust Belt

- DSK

It's an infection caused by all the rust belters moving there.

On 3/7/2021 at 7:37 AM, SloopJonB said:

*laughs and Mac 26* 

jokes aside though, slucum was fairly open about the fact that SPRAY was not meant to be doing what he did with the boat. and having seen, and been aboard a replica of SPRAY I can't say I'd want to do anything but sail downwind on it.

Professional Welders who have yacht dreams seem to be attracted to this kind of project since they are proficient in their professions, but, fail to realize there is a lot more to it than making the hull.

• Like 1
On 3/6/2021 at 6:20 PM, luminary said:

Methinks they will eventually become electrical conductors.  

I'm always amazed at the rattle can rebuilt engines out there...  Do folks really fall for this?

I'd rather it be unpainted, or at least the bits painted individually.

A fresh spray of paint screams run away on an engine.

• Like 1
On 3/9/2021 at 2:57 AM, toddster said:

Hmm... well it seems that I have been banned from Craigslist without possibility of appeal.  Kind of a mystery, but the only activity I've had for several months is copying items to this thread.  So maybe a cautionary tale...

And just when I had a choice selection of useless crap vintage gear to offer up. :(

What was the alleged offence?

Or did they go straight to the verdict, instead of faffing about with charge and evidence?

13 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Professional Welders who have yacht dreams seem to be attracted to this kind of project since they are proficient in their professions, but, fail to realize there is a lot more to it than making the hull.

This man wasn't a professional welder, but he got it right. 

http://www.sv-restless.com/index.html

14 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

The hull is the easy bit. It's the fitout that's the time and money killer. Most boats in that stage of 'completion' have a large amount of negative value. I'd have to really, really like the design *and* the construction to even take one for free.

FKT

On 3/8/2021 at 9:57 PM, toddster said:

Toddster, several years ago you made a comment that I found extremely funny and insightful. I think it had to do with unrealistic expectations. I would love to hear it again. It's Craig's loss. Keep your pecker up.