Mocking Ads on Craigslist

• Replies 15.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

No, no, you've got it all wrong. My comment about only doing one circumnavigation was an example of what people call "false modesty". Or "Irony". Look it up sometime. You're just another grifter

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Such a deal.

A marketing genius too - "I'll clean it up after I sell it"

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/bpo/d/delta-southwest-hobie-cat-hulls/7291368257.html

00Z0Z_19RoNxN8Vu3z_0CI0qw_1200x900.jpg

I know exactly what he's thinking.... "why clean it up twice, in order to sell it once?"

Probably the same logic that lead to putting the crossbeam on it with the weak dimension oriented where the strong one was needed. And that lots of fiberglass-y glop was plenty strong enough.

But to be fair, the poor boat is never going to undergo the stress of sailing again, so building it properly wouold have just been unnecessary trouble.

- DSK

Yeah, over the last couple of years, I've had increasing requests from CL people to deal in alternative stuff like BitCoin, silver bars, kilos of weed... Weird. But then CL people are weird from the start.

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:
On 3/15/2021 at 4:23 PM, Autonomous said:

Research, LOL.

What did he learn?

To be fair, the front didn't fall off

Looks more like the side fell off... both of them

FB- Doug

• Like 2

Another marketing genius - wants a refundable E-transfer deposit to book a look at a project boat.

Dead engine, dead stove, no batteries, obvious leak in the quarter berth, needs a bottom job - and those are the listed faults.

But you have to pay to look at it.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/boa/d/west-vancouver-west-yamaha-33-tall-rig/7292379557.html

00y0y_8Pc9GiyX2oRz_08N062_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Another marketing genius - wants a refundable E-transfer deposit to book a look at a project boat.

Dead engine, dead stove, no batteries, obvious leak in the quarter berth, needs a bottom job - and those are the listed faults.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/boa/d/west-vancouver-west-yamaha-33-tall-rig/7292379557.html

Pity that the boat sounds in such bad shape.  I kinda like those Yamahas: well-built Norlin designs, and Norlin always seemed to have a deft touch for adding some subtle poetry to IOR boats.

I hope that somebody braves the offputting ad and rescues the boat.

44 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:
2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:
On 3/15/2021 at 8:23 PM, Autonomous said:

Research, LOL.

What did he learn?

To be fair, the front didn't fall off

Looks more like the side fell off... both of them

Well you can't have everything, can you?

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Christ that ad reads like the boat I bought.   With all those faults, and it’s  near 40 years old  he’s definitely got too many zeros in the price 

i guess if you can harvest the mussels. You are getting a meal while getting screwed.

8 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Christ that ad reads like the boat I bought.   With all those faults, and it’s  near 40 years old  he’s definitely got too many zeros in the price 

i guess if you can harvest the mussels. You are getting a meal while getting screwed.

If you rummage around in there, probably could find some candles too

FB- Doug

19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

00y0y_8Pc9GiyX2oRz_08N062_1200x900.jpg

However, if you actually show up, you get your money back. That's one way to weed out the folks who are not seriously looking and who are just wasting your time. A friend who sells a lot of stuff online says he gets one show per seven or eight who say they will be there.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

However, if you actually show up, you get your money back. That's one way to weed out the folks who are not seriously looking and who are just wasting your time. A friend who sells a lot of stuff online says he gets one show per seven or eight who say they will be there.

I figured that was what it was but still... for a dead project boat?

There are a lot of selfish & thoughtless assholes in the CL world but my experience is less than 1/2 no-shows, not 75% or 80%

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

I figured that was what it was but still... for a dead project boat?

There are a lot of selfish & thoughtless assholes in the CL world but my experience is less than 1/2 no-shows, not 75% or 80%

Agree it's stupid for a dead project boat but it's a sound plan I might employ in the future. Even if it's just $5 non-refundable it would reduce the no-shows.

Anything less than $100 goes in the free bin on the dock or the fuckitbucket. Sold a few sails for $150 bucks a couple months ago and it was a total fucking nightmare. Ad clearly had all measurements, my rig dimensions, age, photos, luff tape size, etc and I was lambasted with dozens of emails asking if it would fit on Catalina 27s or if it would be suitable for a tarp over the boom of Hunter 30s...

18 hours ago, toddster said:

80% no-shows is about right.

Included in the scope of not actually reading the ad, is not reading the location.  

Once you weed out the offers from Nigeria the uptake is a little better.

18 hours ago, toddster said:

80% no-shows is about right.

Included in the scope of not actually reading the ad, is not reading the location.  

My experience has been more around 90% positive. Maybe that's because I only sell stuff worth buying at a reasonable cost.

• Like 1

This seller is FIRM at $2K so it must be a good deal and you better buy it now before he cleans it up and raises the price!  I'm calling bullshit, which one of you juvenile delinquents posted this ad as a joke? :D  

https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/boa/d/el-dorado-hills-26-clipper-marine-with/7292359415.html

Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 10.19.21 PM.png

The hard-bargain approach must be the new thing in boat selling-

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/hayes-32-westsail-hull/7290341879.html

32' Westsail hull - $3,500 (Gloucester)

image 3 of 3

00J0J_lq480b8Qo9xz_0e70t2_600x450.jpg

00H0H_ez12WX6PiW6z_0e70t2_600x450.jpg

Gutted hull, cabin top cut off deck and supported in place.

Will need hydraulic boat trailer to move.

Cash only, no trades, as-is, where-is.
34 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

image 3 of 3

Then again, there are about a dozen of these on sailboatlistings.com that are in one piece, have spars, sails, engines, etc. This one must be very special. I wonder if it comes with a title.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bull City said:
36 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

image 3 of 3

Expand  

Expand  

Very nice. I wonder if it comes with a title.

You'd think somebody that lives in an area where boats are relatively common would realize that this object is unlikely to be seen as having positive value... by anybody...

- DSK

30 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

You'd think somebody that lives in an area where boats are relatively common would realize that this object is unlikely to be seen as having positive value... by anybody...

- DSK

Especially Gloucester...most of the old watermen of the southern Chesapeake had their roots there. When I was a kid, people claimed that there were more licensed captains in Gloucester and Matthews counties than anywhere else in the US (likely untrue, but that was the local culture).

On 3/17/2021 at 3:28 PM, TwoLegged said:

If it is genuinely a freshwater boat which has been in a barn for 34 years (and hasn't had a rodent attack), that might not be a bad point at which to start negotiations.

You can get a decent, clean and well equipped freshwater Ensign for around $10,000, so no, that barnfind is off by about $14,000. 

I restored and sold a 2008, hull #2023 3 years ago for $20,000 in absolutely mint condition with poly carbon sails and Awlwood varnish. I was asking $24,000...

The last pic is pre restoration with borrowed sails from my Dad’s boat. 

090D7C67-50AE-43B4-918F-A73CD4185417.jpeg

19E80F68-31A6-494A-A197-1F7DBEE02C7C.jpeg

565B742F-7A21-44A1-99CD-1A0AEFE220AA.jpeg

CE6742FF-9890-4805-9A4D-7636F8E096C3.jpeg

• Like 3

@Sail4beer, I hadn't realised that Ensign were so cheap.  So I was way out on my valuation.

OTOH, my error prompted you to post more pic of the gorgeous turbo-Ensign.  I love what you did with that boat

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

Then again, there are about a dozen of these on sailboatlistings.com that are in one piece, have spars, sails, engines, etc. This one must be very special. I wonder if it comes with a title.

Yes, "Idiot".

A new Ensign Classic would be $50,000 new, but they haven’t popped one out of the mold for a few years now. There’s are around 1,500 left in the wild in varying conditions. This one was nice, just poor gelcoat quality and the varnish had failed, leading to a depressed sale price. I enjoyed that turbo project and miss it. 

5E1DDE9F-7694-40BD-BE09-34CB8BC6E540.jpeg

DE0AD893-C5DD-4B4D-B942-3A8DF968B449.jpeg

B8E7604F-3D9C-4CA8-BC7B-8094D73DCA60.jpeg

• Like 1

There's a titling agency in Anacortes - they could probably fix it for you for a few bucks.

I used them years ago - they were cheap and fast.

That said, $500 is a lot for that thing. I suspect it will end up with the sailboat recycler in Lynden.

On 3/17/2021 at 11:54 AM, Ishmael said:

Seems like he needs to pay you $20 to waste your time to look.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

Seems like he needs to pay you $20 to waste your time to look.

Yeah, that will keep the tirekickers away. :lol:

Just $3K for a

"Duchess 28 westerly center twin keel , comes with all sails , dodger stored inside 800.00$ option, bought and sailed from England with a family of 5 met to sail the world ,compass and stainless steel great stove and heater . All cushions"

Perhaps the poster hit enter too soon, it was to be "all cushions are biohazards"

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/d/lakebay-duchess-28-westerly/7294570022.html

00h0h_kj9dNrU8V5Qz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

6 hours ago, Out West said:

Just $3K for a

"Duchess 28 westerly center twin keel , comes with all sails , dodger stored inside 800.00$ option, bought and sailed from England with a family of 5 met to sail the world ,compass and stainless steel great stove and heater . All cushions"

Perhaps the poster hit enter too soon, it was to be "all cushions are biohazards"

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/d/lakebay-duchess-28-westerly/7294570022.html

00h0h_kj9dNrU8V5Qz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Ick

That whole boat looks nasty. Given the climate, I can understand the mold growing, but that overhead looks like a whole midwestern college fraternity held a cheap-vodka-fueled projectile vomiting contest onto it.... maybe the boat was stored upside down for a while?

But wait! It has a compass!

FB- Doug

9 hours ago, Bugsy said:

That boat looks like it burned.... or sank.  Or maybe caught fire and was sunk to put out the fire.  

After it fell over and sank into the swamp

- DSK

15 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

Not just a Clipper Marine but a Molded Out Mushroom Sprouting, Clipper Marine. Won't last!

https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/boa/d/el-dorado-hills-26-clipper-marine-with/7292359415.html

00l0l_lLC99SAAtZgz_0zs0t2_1200x900.jpg

My Dad, during the few years when our family moved 2 hours inland and were boatless, lost his mind and bought one of these. Had the structural integrity of a juicebox. He wanted to name it Cheapskate, but we kids told him we'd never crew if he did that.

• Like 1

Just reading the description leaves you breathless. Sample:

on deck large deck spaces with pilot house helm area with lots 
of seating self tailing winches solar panels and vanished timber 
slat seats & anchor winch on bow of yacht also diesel engine 
fitted that has not been run in a few years we are told also furling
head sail on bow possible cutter baby jib rig too if you wish 

Apparently, punctuation was stripped out with the boat's cordage. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

It’s been a while since I’ve been here!

For kayakers who want to go slow, IOR amas:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bpo/d/seffner-small-pontoons-for-kayak-canoe/7288090487.html

00B0B_kuLuYWPcxOkz_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

For digging small but exquisitely shaped holes in the water.

But do they actually make a kayak broach, too?

FB- Doug

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

For digging small but exquisitely shaped holes in the water.

But do they actually make a kayak broach, too?

FB- Doug

You get to put two tiny bloopers up to stabilize the setup!  

You have to be a trained puppet master to control all those strings!

Stumbling 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Were they tank tested?

Actually, they do look a lot like tank test models.  Why you would have a matching pair, I'm not sure.

Here's one that evidently escaped from the Comox mudflats... I think BS must have been personally involved in the interior finishing.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/dartmouth/15m-steel-globe-trotting-sailboat-for-sale/1557895823

I'm all for starting a GoFundMe to send it back home. Yes, there is a NIMBY motive behind my suggestion.

• Like 1

It has been around here a while, in the summer of '19 I encountered it anchored behind McNabs Island (near the mouth of Hfx harbor), they were banging and using grinders and stuff.  Not very polite behavior in a cove full of weekend boaters, it is a popular spot, nice beach.  I rowed around it in the dinghy.  Only one guy made eye contact with me, I asked "Brent Swain design?" to which I got a gruff "yes".

@Jim, how about a gofundme to just scrap it, and save the hassle...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Here's one that evidently escaped from the Comox mudflats... I think BS must have been personally involved in the interior finishing.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/dartmouth/15m-steel-globe-trotting-sailboat-for-sale/1557895823

I'm all for starting a GoFundMe to send it back home. Yes, there is a NIMBY motive behind my suggestion.

Globe Trotting?

No

Not even globe crawling. More like globe stumbling, except I'd be surprised if this boat has ever been more than a couple hundred miles from it's natal bed.

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Globe Trotting?

No

Not even globe crawling. More like globe stumbling, except I'd be surprised if this boat has ever been more than a couple hundred miles from it's natal bed.

FB- Doug

It started on the west coast, so some solid miles on it by now.

I seem to recall that BS has some role in the construction. You can read all the sordid details here: https://www.submarineboat.com/nuthin_wong.htm

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, andykane said:
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

It started on the west coast, so some solid miles on it by now.

I seem to recall that BS has some role in the construction. You can read all the sordid details here: https://www.submarineboat.com/nuthin_wong.htm

Ooops... looks like I lose my bet!

:(

Did not look closely at the ad, just the pictures.

"A LOT of squalor for your money" still does not seem like a good bargain though

FB- Doug

9 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

That boat has had a few dishonorable mentions over the years.

Good example of something to stay away from. It's never a good sign when the interior is painted with reject/mistints from the waste disposal depot.

FKT

Yah, it is a heinous looking thing but one has to give credit - it did make it quite a distance.  We'd like it to go quite a further distance...

1 hour ago, hdra said:

Another BS design - this one looks better finished than most, but 78K?!! 

Favorite quote from the website:  "We intended on taking her offshore but found the waters of the Inside Passage challenging enough."

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/lopez-island-custom-steel-pilot-house/7298456321.html

Looks better fit and finish than any other BS boat I have seen. Half ask would be reasonable.

00C0C_ekdcazY3cPCz_0gw0co_1200x900.jpg

I don't know if I'll get lambasted but I watched most of that video of the kids on Nuttin' Wong.  This was not a promo that was bought and paid for by the Captain.  Its a nice film by one of the crew, AFAICT.  Even though Capt Clive has been grifting along for the last 20 years as a burned out hippie and maybe alcoholic, taking or making money where he can, those kids got an adventure of a lifetime for not a lot of dough.  I'm sure they had downsides and some arguments, (what passage doesn't) but there were a lot of smiles, mostly smiles.  Us old folks shouldn't forget the adventures we had as youth when we didn't care so much about creature comforts, crappy circumstances,.....and the future.   Most kids live in the moment, I know I mostly did.   They got a passage to somewhere they wanted to go, for a few bucks.  Cheaper than a plane flight and like one of em said a feel-good for using not much fossil fuel.  I say good on em.  One of the few quotes I recall from high school is from Shakespeare.  More or less it's "find direction thru indirection"  For me it means if you don't have a plan, make one, do something, anything.  Eventually you will develop your direction.  At the least you will learn what you don't want.  These kids certainly had the opportunity to learn that they might not want the life of a vagabond.  Or not.  I'm sure most of them will become fine contributing citizens.  Adventures usually do.  It seems like Capt Clive has provided this "opportunity"  for/to? dozens others too.   I think that's a net positive.  

As for Cp Clive as a person/grifter I'm not gonna judge, I wasn't there, there's always two sides.  It should have been obvious to those hitching a ride that his boat was not an Oyster.  Quite the opposite.  To me it seems the (not young) woman who's story I read on SV Seeker, who sent Clive $1800 and some expensive camera equipment without enough vetting to see what she was getting into was just a bit too trusting.  It seems that she could not cope with the rough conditions of the ship and captain.  With just a few pictures of the vessel and Master it would be an no brainer of me.  Since my 30's I'm pretty sure I'd give it a pass and I certainly prefer some comfort now.  For that money I know there are better opportunities to see what life aboard is like, without an advance payment.   I know because I've had taken up a few crew-wanted ads, some free and some nominal expenses.  Each one has been a great experience.

Nuff rant.  No one died.  Kids are where they wanna be, with a bit of life experience.  Clive is done sailing and hoping to get a grub stake for who knows want future he'll have, and Jim in Halifax will get rid of.......something. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, eric1207 said:

...Clive is done sailing and hoping to get a grub stake for who knows want future he'll have, and Jim in Halifax will get rid of.......something. 

Its unlikely I can do anything about Nuthin' Wong...its hard as hell to get a permit for an artifical reef these days...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, chester said:

look at those big, beautiful bull rails, mmmmmm! and with a step built in?  whaaaaatttt?

Those are gun loops. Part of the Coastal Otter Defense network. Three or four brave prone shooters could hold back an otter attack long enuf to get the children to high ground. 

• Like 3

Absolutely. They work in highly-trained commando teams, launching the small ones onto docks while the larger ones swim under & come up the other side:

The person who shot this video has never been found. Just his iPhone lying on the dock, with Siri saying "I do not understand helphelpohgodhelpme. Please repeat." Bullrails were created to prevent this sort of attack, but only manned rails with defensible fields of fire can slow these killing machines down.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Its unlikely I can do anything about Nuthin' Wong...its hard as hell to get a permit for an artifical reef these days...

True that, but accidents do happen on the ocean and I don't think the coast guard would have a hard time imagining some sort of failure on that craft...  one of us sails it out offshore and the other follows to render assistance...

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Absolutely. They work in highly-trained commando teams, launching the small ones onto docks while the larger ones swim under & come up the other side:

The person who shot this video has never been found. Just his iPhone lying on the dock, with Siri saying "I do not understand helphelpohgodhelpme. Please repeat." Bullrails were created to prevent this sort of attack, but only manned rails with defensible fields of fire can slow these killing machines down.

You ever heard otters screw? They make an ungodly racket.

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

Somewhere in the vast wide interwebz there is now a porn video featuring just that.

But only because you mentioned it.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Autonomous said:

It's the Barry White at max volume all night that gets on my nerves.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

It's the Barry White at max volume all night that gets on my nerves.

You can turn the volume down on the video.

I mean, I believe you can. My friend told me. Your Honour.

A Bristol Corsair.   "Recently painted".  And here I thought it was factory gel coat.  But wait, there's more:  it comes with some kind of pilothousey-thing.  Not to mention that it's a perfect liveaboard.  Cushions extra.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/boa/d/new-haven-bristol-cosair-sailboat/7295235382.html

00L0L_1eganS8dbZoz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

"has sails recently painted" - now, I know they paint the logos on the sails of the big racing boats, but given how the hull looks I can't imagine good results on the sails...