Mocking Ads on Craigslist

BS made my ignore list with his endless rants towards Bob Perry, a guy who designs nice boats and accepts ideas and criticism.  I may have labeled the cretin Bent Strain at one point.

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Ohey I send you picture...

Posted Images

3 hours ago, kinardly said:

Uh, I don't think it's been the case recently that good boats are being given away. More like they are flying away, off the broker's docks.

True recently but even now a used boat is a fraction of what building costs.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

True recently but even now a used boat is a fraction of what building costs.

Especially a building around here. The local market is looking a little frothy.

• Like 1

That red  BS boat is in my home port, in big tides in Fisherman Bay they just put her in the mud, no problemo.  I'm sure BS could call his child home to its home mud bottom to spend it's waining years.

1 hour ago, zenmasterfred said:

That red  BS boat is in my home port, in big tides in Fisherman Bay they just put her in the mud, no problemo.  I'm sure BS could call his child home to its home mud bottom to spend it's waining years.

IIRC BS didn't want anything to do with that boat because the builders had the intelligence to get Evan Shaler to do the welding and not BS. He bitched mightily about how Evan milked the job & ripped them off. My translation of that was, Evan did a solid craftsmanlike job as opposed to BS's approach of tack it together fast & rough then abandon the owners to their own devices to finish the welding etc.

Pretty sure that one has ex-bus windows fitted which were quite heavy plus other massy stuff so it might be more tender than others. Which isn't a great thing in a BS boat, really.

FKT

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Brent is his own worst enemy - truer words have never been spoken. He managed to make enemies out of people who thought some of his ideas had merit but needed refinement and some actual engineering. A few of us toyed with the idea of drawing up a 40' hull design and making it freely available but decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

FKT

And he did sound the alarm on off-set you know whats. Did he have anything to do with bull rails?

7 minutes ago, Crusty said:

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/boa/d/ninde-sailboat-for-parts/7299726906.html

Includes “every thing in the picture.” 
Umm, I’m squinting hard and I’m not even sure I see the boat. 

I see a fairly nice bird house, but that's not worth driving to Virginia for

Lotsa water too... seems unlikely to have a good and transferable title to all that....

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

I see a fairly nice bird house, but that's not worth driving to Virginia for

Lotsa water too... seems unlikely to have a good and transferable title to all that....

FB- Doug

Maybe the boat is underneath all that water. :blink:

• Like 2

kijiji not Craigslist but WTF right?

I dunno anything about the boat but it looks like a very nice reno update of a Tanzer 22.  Problem is it's still a 3ksb...  Asking price might be a wee bit steep...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-voilier/laval-rive-nord/tanzer-22-modifie-avec-place-de-quai-a-oka/1558564177

Translation:  Tanzer 22 transformed like today's sailboats, meticulous work carried out in 2018, recent and complete set of sails in excellent condition, Tangon, antifouling VC17, Mercury 4hp engine with reverse, depth and speed ST40 new, clean interior, solid road trailer, very special feeling at the helm, ready to race/cruise.

Tabarnak, some a those Quebecois are crazy!

Cheers!

T22 1.JPG

T22 2.JPG

T22 3.JPG

26 minutes ago, CriticalPath said:

I dunno anything about the boat but it looks like a very nice reno update of a Tanzer 22.  Problem is it's still a 3ksb...  Asking price might be a wee bit steep...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-voilier/laval-rive-nord/tanzer-22-modifie-avec-place-de-quai-a-oka/1558564177

Translation:  Tanzer 22 transformed like today's sailboats, meticulous work carried out in 2018, recent and complete set of sails in excellent condition, Tangon, antifouling VC17, Mercury 4hp engine with reverse, depth and speed ST40 new, clean interior, solid road trailer, very special feeling at the helm, ready to race/cruise.

Cheers!

T22 1.JPG

T22 2.JPG

T22 3.JPG

No photos of the interior? I bet it's palatial down there.

It should be for $12K.

4 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

Cheers!

T22 1.JPG

T22 2.JPG

T22 3.JPG

I do not speaka the Quebecois, but I try the best I hard. That bateau est quetaine

4 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

Cheers!

T22 1.JPG

T22 2.JPG

T22 3.JPG

I would have bet that you couldn't make a Tanzer 22 any uglier.

I was wrong.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I would have bet that you couldn't make a Tanzer 22 any uglier.

I was wrong.

They were kinda ugly ducklings at the time. And yes, you could make any Tanzer uglier, as the designer proved over and over.

Six years ago I rescued my Tanzer 22 from the abandoned corner of the marina. In all original condition I happily sailed it for five years. New owner has done many upgrades to it and enjoys racing it. My previous boat, an O'Day 23, is behind it, had that for 10 years before.

IMG_1642.jpg

• Downvote 1

I can't get past the ugly foredeck-cabin proboscis on the otherwise good Tanzer.

When I was looking for my first sailboat they came highly recommended. Ugh.

Fortunately my sailing instructor know of a Santana 22 in pretty good shape. Thanks, Letha!

1 hour ago, Decay said:

Not sure if this one has been posted before, it's been up for a while. Is that a DIY funnel urinal? 

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/d/fairhaven-30-bayliner-buccaneer-1979/7299546411.html

Judging by all the plastic jugs in the forepeak, I'd say so.  Love the tile backsplash too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Son of Hans said:

Judging by all the plastic jugs in the forepeak, I'd say so.  Love the tile backsplash too.

Is the electrical panel in the shower?

00K0K_41AEL8RPp62_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

10 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yep a Birdwatcher

They're said to be nice practical boats, so I'm betting this guy did not build it or he'd know the name and advertise it as such

FB- Doug

Bet that interior doesn't get hot at all in south Tampa. The cooler is there to stick your head in when you feel the heat stroke coming on.

That looks like some of my mom’s photos from the 1930’s.  In some ways, it makes every shot into a poem.  In others, it makes me think that the masses should be left to infinity optics or nothing.

Another thinly disguised "I'm not going to pay someone to take it away for me" $1 boat:

https://albany.craigslist.org/boa/d/stillwater-mid-life-crisis-boat/7297035584.html

Aching to take your 18 year old girlfriend out sailing? You have come to the right place. This beauty was once owned by Captain Rehab. She has sailed the seven seas and then some. Lots of room onboard for "activities" Has an atomic 4 that hasn't run in years, but has a set of sails that I have never taken out of the bag. Boat is complete except for alcohol provisioning and 18 year old girlfriend. Don't miss this wonderful opportunity to join all the other mid 50's Captain wannabes for no money down and no payments for ever. Will need lots of tlc, (ever watch the movie "Captain Ron"? This is like the boat in the beginning of the movie, only smaller. I have no more pictures and am not around to take any and will put 0 effort in. Come look at it and take it if you like it. blue stands not included. I have no paperwork but can give you a bill of sale for $1 and you can register it in Vermont in 10 seconds. They want your money. Picture yourself at the helm of this classic yacht sailing while listening to the Edmond Fitzgerald or Titanic soundtrack with your teen date onboard. Alcove Marine will move it for you, Ask for BOB, he is a great guy and very good.

00Q0Q_5d9dzhueyCfz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, this is quite the bargain.

This is a great opportunity to beat the high rent in downtown Victoria. This investment will pay for itself with the money you'll save in rent!
Become a boat owner and save!! 

Dock slip included with purchase! $455 monthly hydro/shower/washrooms included! 

- Location is close to everything and all major bus routes. 
-Lots of storage inside and outside the boat
- Wifi is possible. ** FREE PUBLIC WIFI**
- Perfect for kayaking, and outdoor water sports
- Close to the galloping goose trail 
-Hydro included with the dock slip 
-Shower and washrooms available
- Kitchen sink on boat

The sail boat is a 1974Reneill 26.
Has a yamaha 9.9 engine 
*needs a new propeller*

Come relax this summer and enjoy! 
1974 REINELL26   

**For the rent to own option, I am asking for $5000 down and the rest can be paid through a monthly rent to own contract. 6 months for $955 * that's including dock fee! after the six months the boat is yours!

99497582_934.jpg

99497595_934.jpg

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Sailboat-for-sale-8000-Rent-to-Own-options-available-_37282463

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, toddster said:

Dunno - I lived in worse digs for more (inflation adjusted) money during college.  

The Inner Harbour is a great place to live, except for the noise. Compared to rent around here, it's cheap.

On the other hand, it is a Reinell 26 with a wonky outboard. You can get a lot more boat for that money.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

The Inner Harbour is a great place to live, except for the noise. Compared to rent around here, it's cheap.

On the other hand, it is a Reinell 26 with a wonky outboard. You can get a lot more boat for that money.

Such as this. https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/San-Juan-30_37141406 for $5K

Assuming you either like the dark or are prepared to put windows in.

98629321_934.jpg

And are prepared to re-core the deck.

My old Kirby QT was a development of that design so when I wanted to move up I looked at several of them. Every one of them had a totally delaminated or soaked deck - everywhere, not just patches.

By the way, I think that's a "competition" version with a smaller cabin top and no ports.

On 4/9/2021 at 12:48 PM, SloopJonB said:

And are prepared to re-core the deck.

My old Kirby QT was a development of that design so when I wanted to move up I looked at several of them. Every one of them had a totally delaminated or soaked deck - everywhere, not just patches.

By the way, I think that's a "competition" version with a smaller cabin top and no ports.

Yeah, San Juan QC was a bit iffy at best.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:47 PM, Diarmuid said:

Bet that interior doesn't get hot at all in south Tampa. The cooler is there to stick your head in when you feel the heat stroke coming on.

Bolger claimed that downdraft off the sails keeps the interior ventilated. He claimed few other unlikely things about other boats, too.

It's got a lot of interior volume, but so much of it seems unusable.  LIke, no place to lie down, really. 

I'm a curious kind of guy, so I take a chance to sail on if offered, but I have my doubts about the design's general utility, given the fairly elaborate construction for a 20' plywood canoe. 

7 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

Going to the link doesn't give much more information than the picture.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/boa/d/ulster-park-25-sail-boat/7291158321.html

2021-04-11_12-00-53.png

Bow roller seems a bit oversized.

15 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Yeah, San Juan QC was a bit iffy at best.

As someone who has completely recored a San Juan deck ... can confirm.

2 hours ago, NaClH20 said:

Not a sailboat,  it maybe a good option for a tender?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/bod/d/washington-porta-pontoon-pontoon-boat/7300473310.html

6BB0A7D3-A197-42D8-96B6-CFA39F19F462.jpeg.9f2cf30d769b3153ef7f393007db6922.jpeg

Seems legit....

I just bought a storage bin exactly like those (egad!) to store my boat crap. Didn't realize I had the makings of a fine vessel.

Captain Dennis either has a fine sense of humor, or is a complete lunatic. The red hat suggests the latter.

I hope he has a good lawyer.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NaClH20 said:

Not a sailboat,  it maybe a good option for a tender?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/bod/d/washington-porta-pontoon-pontoon-boat/7300473310.html

6BB0A7D3-A197-42D8-96B6-CFA39F19F462.jpeg.9f2cf30d769b3153ef7f393007db6922.jpeg

Seems legit....

Lots of structural stiffness there.

A grand for 8 storage bins seems a bit steep.

An unimpressive piece of hillbilly engineering IMO.

Sad to see this old boat zombifying away.  Hasn't moved in many years.  But this ad is a little over the top. Didn't realize it was a celebrity! And not just a ketch, but one with two masts!

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/d/vancouver-world-famous-masted-tahiti/7304536231.html

(Same boat listed elsewhere for $10K less without the questionable superlatives. Still too optimistic, I fear.)01313_cSk37gOoJK7z_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg

15 minutes ago, chester said:

oars?  Paddles?  just how far could you paddle that contraption?

About as far as the first wake encountered, probably.  Longitudinal stiffness appears to be provided by two 1x6’s laid flat.  Considering the fore and aft bend with one captain aboard, they may even be composite decking boards, but I don’t think his development budget would have stretched so far.

So let me get this straight.  

I find a slip, and I become a half owner of this "classic" boat?  

How 'bout a pic of what it looks like now that it was dismasted?  Did the mast take anything out, like the cabin, on its way down?  Did it yank anything out of the deck as it fell?  

And what exactly are the "mechanical issues" the 39 year old engine is suffering?  

There's no mention of who is supposed to pay for the slip or repairs, and it's been lived on for three years.  Great. 

Oh, but wait.  It was once owned by Buddy "Epsen" (Ebsen) of the Beverly Hillbillies. 

Well that changes everything.  Sign me up! 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/berkeley-legendary-boat-for-sale/7304043071.html

00H0H_dlM6QBK01l6z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Winston29 said:

How 'bout a pic of what it looks like now that it was dismasted?  Did the mast take anything out, like the cabin, on its way down?  Did it yank anything out of the deck as it fell?  

And what exactly are the "mechanical issues" the 39 year old engine is suffering?  

There's no mention of who is supposed to pay for the slip or repairs, and it's been lived on for three years.  Great. 

Oh, but wait.  It was once owned by Buddy "Epsen" (Ebsen) of the Beverly Hillbillies. 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/berkeley-legendary-boat-for-sale/7304043071.html

I remember the last time this came through here, years ago. It hasn't improved with age.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, toddster said:

Sad to see this old boat zombifying away.  Hasn't moved in many years.  But this ad is a little over the top. Didn't realize it was a celebrity! And not just a ketch, but one with two masts!

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/d/vancouver-world-famous-masted-tahiti/7304536231.html

(Same boat listed elsewhere for $10K less without the questionable superlatives. Still too optimistic, I fear.)01313_cSk37gOoJK7z_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg

Check out the alternator belt

Words fail me...

00j0j_1ti6qUrJ1coz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Winston29 said:

Says he needs the boat 1 weekend a month.  Hmmmmm.  What does his side chick do on the other weekends?  Do I get half ownership with her?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dogscout said:

Says he needs the boat 1 weekend a month.  Hmmmmm.  What does his side chick do on the other weekends?  Do I get half ownership with her?

The previous half owner quit paying for the slip and he's in need of a new "half" owner asap. Guy comes with the boat, he'll live in it and "look" after it while the "half" owner gets the privilege of paying for it.

15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Lots of structural stiffness there.

A grand for 8 storage bins seems a bit steep.

An unimpressive piece of hillbilly engineering IMO.

But it's not just 8 storage bins; you also get the tie down straps and several pieces of plywood/chipboard decking.  But even Captain Dennis isn't immune from the standard tactic of all boat builders:  the upgrade scam.  The price does not include those comfy folding chairs, or the paddles.

For those of you that still doubt the quality of this product, I recommend that you watch the video on his website that shows the vessel in "rough waters".  Granted, waves always look smaller on camera, but those beasts have to be at least three inches high.  Look how square shape of the bins that make up the Porta-Pontoon easily brush them aside!  Mark my words, the next round of America's Cup boats will take the Porta-Pontoon as their model.

One thing does trouble me:  his crew member always has his/her hood up, obscuring their face.  It's almost as if they are hiding their identity.  The cynic in me says this is just a way to avoid ridicule from family and friends.  The nasty person in me says it is obviously to  keep the lawyers from discovering their identity and making them an accomplice.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Winston29 said:

How much for just the architectural drawings?

16 minutes ago, toddster said:

No thanks

I've lived and worked aboard a steel ship. Zero appeal to me, personally... and somehow that one does not exactly look like a babe magnet either.

FB- Doug

47 minutes ago, toddster said:

Oh hell yes. Paint that fucker greenpeace colors, hoist the black flag and go ramming about in the salmon fishery.

At the very least paint it...

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

No thanks

I've lived and worked aboard a steel ship. Zero appeal to me, personally... and somehow that one does not exactly look like a babe magnet either.

FB- Doug

Well, they kinda lost me at the gallon per mile unburdened thing.

And a six-foot diameter prop? Gotta be compensating for something...

• Like 1

I have to to say the *idea* of owning that tug intrigues me.  It looks cool, it can go anywhere (that has more than 8' of water) and would be a riot to drive.   Filled with all the mod cons.    

But the practicalities of maintaining a 70', 100 ton, 600+ HP, 70 year old boat would be overwhelming.   

17 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

I have to to say the *idea* of owning that tug intrigues me.  It looks cool, it can go anywhere (that has more than 8' of water) and would be a riot to drive.   Filled with all the mod cons.    

But the IMpracticalities of maintaining a 70', 100 ton, 600+ HP, 70 year old boat would be overwhelming.   

You'd need a smaller tug on davits, launch it and bring it alongside before every docking. And hire a dozen full-time rust-chipper-and-redlead-ers.

Fun to muddle around in the engine room, although I'm sure it's hellishly loud when the mill is running.

I bet you could do good work getting grounded boats un-stuck, if you can avoid getting stuck yourself. Make a new channel with your prop wash.......

It would make a GREAT committee boat for regattas. Hell, just anchor it permanently in the middle of the river/sound.

FB- Doug

• Like 1
11 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

Might be a repost but I'm too lazy to look. $30k for a cal29. lol.

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/duncan-cal29/7305901633.html

That's been on UsedVictoria forever. Now he's switched to craigslist.

Yes, he's dreaming...but so is this one. https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Wayfarer-Sailing-Dinghy_37330341

$5000 for a Wayfarer. Good luck with that.

99578625_934.jpg

I bought a boat similar to that a few years ago.  I think I paid $250. 

I don't think new Wayfarers ever cost $5,000.  

Buy the tug but insist they include this book. First pages make you want a tug. Rest of book makes you never want to step foot on a tug. Not a lot of Mowat humor like his other books but a few funny stories. 

mowat_book_cover_small.jpg

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

I bought a boat similar to that a few years ago.  I think I paid $250. 

I don't think new Wayfarers ever cost $5,000.  

The wooden ones professionally built around here from kits were selling for about $6,500 new. I sold my glass Wayfarer in 1980 or so for around $3200 as I recall, but it was totally restored and had a brand new suit of Raudaschl sails.

34 minutes ago, snubber said:

Buy the tug but insist they include this book. First pages make you want a tug. Rest of book makes you never want to step foot on a tug. Not a lot of Mowat humor like his other books but a few funny stories. 

mowat_book_cover_small.jpg

That's an excellent book

And yeah, will make you either feel you MUST have a tug, or it will make you never want to set foot on one

FB- Doug

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

never want to set foot on one

I crewed on a tug on the Chesapeake one summer in college. It was big, and had a 4-blade prop that gave it a constant shimmy. I'd lie in my bunk and try to fall asleep, sure I was gonna piss my pants because of that shaking motion.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Yes, he's dreaming...but so is this one. https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Wayfarer-Sailing-Dinghy_37330341

99578625_934.jpg

some wayfarers sell for that BUT that add lists all the racing gear including a new racing sail inventory from the class sailmaker

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

The wooden ones professionally built around here from kits were selling for about $6,500 new. I sold my glass Wayfarer in 1980 or so for around $3200 as I recall, but it was totally restored and had a brand new suit of Raudaschl sails.

hartley boats in england wants 11,000 pounds for a new one.  a new CL 16 is $21,000- CDN.  Used wayfarers on kijji run the range from $500 for a hull sitting on the ground to $4-5K for newer (relatively speaking) ones that have been set up for class racing.  CL16's usually list for $2500-4000 CDN, condition and equipment vary widely in that price range. 

38 minutes ago, chester said:

hartley boats in england wants 11,000 pounds for a new one.  a new CL 16 is $21,000- CDN.  Used wayfarers on kijji run the range from $500 for a hull sitting on the ground to $4-5K for newer (relatively speaking) ones that have been set up for class racing.  CL16's usually list for $2500-4000 CDN, condition and equipment vary widely in that price range. 

The joys of inflation. $21K for a Wayfarer? Be still my beating heart.

You might see mine on your sailing trips, I sold it in Saskatoon.

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

99578625_934.jpg

"Will also trade for rowboat" Got a $5,000 rowboat?