Mocking Ads on Craigslist

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

No, no, you've got it all wrong. My comment about only doing one circumnavigation was an example of what people call "false modesty". Or "Irony". Look it up sometime. You're just another grifter

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

13 owners? That will be a hell cruise.

It'd almost be worth buying in just to be the biggest pain in the ass of the whole crew. I suspect there'd be some fierce competition.

When you tired of that, which wouldn't take long, give your share to the second biggest pain in the ass knowing she'd get even worse as a first class passenger.

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

13 owners? That will be a hell cruise.

I’ve heard it said that boat partnerships are tricky and that a 3-way is particularly prone to failure, but 13 owners?

What could possibly go wrong?

23 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Is that plywood covering the outboard well?

Of course not. It is a piece of original timber sourced from ethically managed and sustainable forests bonded into a multi-layer panel.  A wash-type stain has been applied to give an authentic patina that reflects the strong character of this yacht.  It was installed by local craftsmen trained in traditional yacht maintenance. .   

It is so much more than plywood.   

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Bugsy said:
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Is that plywood covering the outboard well?

Of course not. It is a piece of original timber sourced from ethically managed and sustainable forests bonded into a multi-layer panel.  A wash-type stain has been applied to give an authentic patina that reflects the strong character of this yacht.  It was installed by local craftsmen trained in traditional yacht maintenance. .   

Ethically, morally, metaphysically, astrologically, and vegatorically, yes it is far FAR more than just a mere piece of random plywood that is soggy, partially rotten, scavenged and half sloppily painted. It achieves lofty goals far above the ken of mortal plywood and those whose perceptions are so limited.

And yet, it's not even a decent piece of cheap plywood. Believe me, I have struggled to disguise many piece of cheap plywood!

FB- Doug

4 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

Geez.... I'm going to buy that boat *just* for the plywood panel.  

Or, we could combine talents and do consulting for Craigslist advertisers.......

FB- Doug

17 minutes ago, EvaOdland said:

https://madison.craigslist.org/boa/d/oxford-luger-16-seabreeze-sailboat/7301637284.html

"I bought this from a guy who had it sitting in the woods for a handful of years. The rudder and sails were kept in his garage so they are good. The boat had filled with rain water. We removed all the deteriorated wood floor and styrofoam underneath."

00G0G_iCbw3vjCfWoz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Yeah, Lugers were a special kind of ugly.

32 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

They sold them in the classified pages of Popular Mechanics didn't they?

Yes, competitors to Glen-L. Hideous things.

12 hours ago, Bugsy said:

So I see you sell alot of junk to Hipsters.

Only problem with that one is the lack of measurements in the ad. Assuming they'd take an offer somewhat below the asking price. If it fits it's a hell of a lot better than no sail, a torn sail, or a tiny jib on a beater boat.

On 4/23/2021 at 4:41 PM, chester said:

hey it comes with an outboard and that little cockpit dodger totally looks custom!

Yeah, great.  An obsolete OB you can't get parts for anymore.....  And that "dodger" (Storm Top) is a factory option. You can't get them anymore, but that's OK.  They reduce the size of the cockpit combing, making it harder to stand up and adjust things.  

Those plastic trimarans routinely sell for $1,000 - $2,200, and that's with a trailer.  $4.6K is insane, but not at all surprising in this $tate.  <_<  

This one sold for $700, and in the same city as that blue one. 

00p0p_kRJgoxMc3w4z_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

1 hour ago, Decay said:

Only problem with that one is the lack of measurements in the ad. Assuming they'd take an offer somewhat below the asking price. If it fits it's a hell of a lot better than no sail, a torn sail, or a tiny jib on a beater boat.

A couple of years ago I tried to sell a functional main and genoa for a 35'er - with measurements - and got no interest @ $200 for the pair. That crumpled mess is not going to sell at 10% of ask.

9 hours ago, toddster said:

Somehow, I just see a dead body unrolling from that into the middle of the street.

I'll bet some soccer mom convinced her husband that buying a used sail for a sunshade was a great idea.  Now they realized that the damn thing sat  stuffed in the sail bag in the corner of the garage for the last year and they never got around to hanging it.  So they are trying to pawn it off on some other poor soul.

delusional CL....  both ads are crazy  7k refit...doubt it... even if you do all the work yourself...

take my boat, fix it for me and Then I get to buy it back from you for the cost of the refit.  Yeah right, I'm sure hes got people knocking on his door...

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/annapolis-free-sailboat-sailboat-rental/7312193735.html

I have a 34 Catalina sailboat that needs a $7000 retrofit. I dont have the funds to complete the retrofit at the moment so in order to save on storage fees I'm offering to give away my Catalina 34 with a right to repurchase agreement for the cost of the retrofit. The right to repurchase is that I have no intention of selling the boat and plan to keep it but you need title collateral in case of non payment of the refit. In short if you pay for the retrofit then you temporarily own the boat with rights to sail whenever you want, wherever you want, however you want and can relocate the vessel anywhere in the United States. You stand the chance to become the permanent owner If I do not repurchase the vessel. The vessel is located at Toledo Beach Marina and would likely need to be relocated to your area but you can sail her to your marina of choice or have her delivered. The attraction to this proposal is that sailboat rentals are $175 an hour in this "size class" and if you are looking to rent a boat to sail the Caribbean then this deal is perfect for you. You will basically get a free vacation charter or a 34 Catalina for $7000. Think about it and contact me if interested. Again, I just want to hurry up and get her splashed and get the storage fee off my back so that I can put back my money for the refit without the storage cost eating into my refit savings.

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/wan/d/annapolis-sailboat-partnership/7312188066.html

I have a Catalina 34 in need of a $7000 refit. I dont have the funds to pay for the refit at the moment so I'm offering to sell my boat for $7000 with the rights to repurchase the boat. In short if you can refit it and pay the slip fee she's yours to sail as much as you want, wherever you want, whenever you want and however you want. You may also have her delivered to your local marina. She's dry docked at Toledo Beach Marina with a free splash already paid for.

The first $500 would be for renting a dumpster. You will quickly find  $7,000 will buy ~ 1/2 the supplies and parts needed, let's call it $14,000. Your time @ $40 hour x 650 hours = $26,000.

$14,000 + $26,000 =  

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Take him up on it and then refuse to sell.

Unless he has some lawyer write up some iron clad agreement.  I just don’t see how it’s feasible.  Maybe back in the day when a handshake and a mans word meant something.  Yes it still does to some, myself included...

But two people who don’t know each other...one helluva gamble.

Christ I’m beyond $7000 on my refurb and 700+ hours and I haven’t hit any big $$$ snags.  The  Cat  looks in slightly better shape interior wise but seems to be missing a tall stick like structure and some wires thingies among other stuff.  

37 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Unless he has some lawyer write up some iron clad agreement.  I just don’t see how it’s feasible.  Maybe back in the day when a handshake and a mans word meant something.  Yes it still does to some, myself included...

But two people who don’t know each other...one helluva gamble.

Christ I’m beyond $7000 on my refurb and 700+ hours and I haven’t hit any big $$$ snags.  The  Cat  looks in slightly better shape interior wise but seems to be missing a tall stick like structure and some wires thingies among other stuff.  

The seller is delusional. Sadly, many are more delusional.

kliban.gif

21 hours ago, toddster said:

Somehow, I just see a dead body unrolling from that into the middle of the street.

Another game of Hide'n'Seek ends in tragedy.

Used crab pot lines. Actually looks like a pretty good deal.  "Makes excellent anchor line."  I wonder how he knows... :ph34r:

image.png.4c3018c5998b8a932ea0d7bb2193eefd.png

And this showed up under "boat parts."  "Budweiser and Bud Light, 11 cans each."  Um... yeah.  Prolly should have tasted the swill before buying.  I don't think these are really boat parts - should go under "used cars."

image.png.9bd21ff33b490c64c7052c180d090ecb.png

7 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

Beer isn't a boat part?  Clearly, I've been doing something wrong.

It's classed with consumables, like engine oil and PoliGlow.

At Prevost Harbor I had a Russian-Canadian smuggler trade me a couple premium (?) lite beers for an onion. Hey, I was out of beer!

Whenever the small unmarked airplane would do slow circles over the dock (3x) he'd leave the other boat he was trading garbage bags with and walk over and talk to me, making sure to give the airplane some good face.

The other boat made the occasional trip to town to get coffee.

Conclusion? Don't run out of beer unless you are okay with being on some DEA-Border Patrol list.

Well, at first I typed "Bud" but that means something completely different now - especially in Portland.

Come to think of it, it's possible that the entire ad is some sort of clandestine code that has gone completely over my head.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, cmonkey said:

Well I did see one advertised for more than 100K, but 3/4 of that is closer to the typical price.  

That said, considering the condition, I could sell my hurricane damaged Santana 20 for One Million $$

Recently there was a Jenneau 37 on Ebay in Miss that had been cleaned up inside and out and had a new title issued Apr 4, it went for $26k the 1st time and over $20 the 2nd time. It had a hole in the bottom near the swim platform,(photos were crap and had to blow them up to see it and the crack where the swim platform was separating) a friend wanted it and I told him to call the shipyard near where it was parked and pay someone to check it out. Yep, was sunk, water in engine and generator.  The ad states "sail it away".

$200 saved him from buying a huge headache.  Splash it and would sail straight to the bottom.

Well it does look like about 1/2 the bow didn't go under.

So there's that.

9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Well it does look like about 1/2 the bow didn't go under.

So there's that.

"Flood damaged"

Um...exactly how long was most of it underwater?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.d803acf196b66775d87dfe56036f0346.jpg

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hey, if you don't ask, you don't get

FB- Doug

Mathew 7:7 and yes even atheists like me can use google.

16 hours ago, socalrider said:

Well it does say "make an offer"

giphy.gif

Nothing?  You are really being Too generous.  I would expect a pretty penny coming my way to take the hulk off of their hands.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:
16 hours ago, socalrider said:

Well it does say "make an offer"

giphy.gif

Expand  Expand  

Nothing?  You are really being Too generous.  I would expect a pretty penny coming my way to take the hulk off of their hands.  

I'd be extremely areful-cay using the word "ffer-Oway" in a post referring to this boat. Alexa is listening and can easily arrange for it to be delivered to your door

FB- Doug

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I'd be extremely areful-cay using the word "ffer-Oway" in a post referring to this boat. Alexa is listening and can easily arrange for it to be delivered to your door

FB- Doug

Our modern version of "I had an itchy nose at Sotheby's, and now we own a Matisse!"

BTW, pig Latin is probably one of Alexa's languages. She speaks Esperanto.

7 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Another boat that could've been Babar's. The name even looks done in de Brunhoff's script.

And it goes under bridges.

I'd want to see the revised stability calcs with a family of elephants aboard.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

I'd want to see the revised stability calcs with a family of Francophone elephants aboard.

FIFY

They could be French-speaking colonials, even.... hey, can Elephants speak Pig Latin?

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

I love the name.  :D

I love the ferro bowsprit.

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FIFY

They could be French-speaking colonials, even.... hey, can Elephants speak Pig Latin?

FB- Doug

Probably from the West African possessions. Now, the Babars are royalty -- elective monarchs of Celesteville -- so one wonders if they lost any family members to the Terrors. And if so, what that guillotine looked like.

12 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I love the ferro bowsprit.

I hear concrete loves beam deflection.

• Like 1

This is a tremendous find Sloop, and it's good to see the mid-Island continuing to deliver on world class eccentricity. Didn't someone say ferro boats only start to make sense over 50 feet? I think 27' is about the smallest ferro we've seen on these pages. Amazing that he got the Soviet submarine style dodger on there in that length. The lack of cabin windows is a pro-touch too.   

12 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

This is a tremendous find Sloop, and it's good to see the mid-Island continuing to deliver on world class eccentricity. Didn't someone say ferro boats only start to make sense over 50 feet? I think 27' is about the smallest ferro we've seen on these pages. Amazing that he got the Soviet submarine style dodger on there in that length. The lack of cabin windows is a pro-touch too.   

Where that boat is going, you don't want to look out the windows

FB- Doug

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Didn't someone say ferro boats only start to make sense over 50 feet? I think 27' is about the smallest ferro we've seen on these pages. 

BITD of ferro, 50' was generally regarded as the line where the weight penalty fell away compared to other materials. The minimum shell thickness is way oversize when you go smaller. At the time, the 72' Helsal, which won the S2H, was actually considered quite lightweight.

For the time of course.

As to smallest ever, the original ferro boat, Lambot's 8' dinghy, was still floating in a Paris park when the ferro boom was on here. I think it's in a museum or something now.

3 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

I'm sure I've seen ferro dinghies but more in the context of UBC engineering week contests. Can you recall any other sub-30' ferro cruisers?  

Yep.

I saw a ferro Bingham 20' Flicka on a mooring on Saltspring island years ago. More than 3 tons for a 20'. About the same disp. as my 30' Nelson Marek.

FLICKA 20 drawing

• Like 1

Has there ever been a good boat built in ferro cement?

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Boy, some folks go way out their way to avoid good looks in a boat.  But forgetting the especially ugly deck house and the sprit which from the pictures seems to be a bit overdone, she does have her qualities.  I bet one could equip her with a good 12-71 diesel and a hefty three or four blade prop and she would cut a shipping lane right though the middle of the North Pole ice cap.  

2 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Or that new canal through Israel.

Is that the one that Hezbollah is digging?

00P0P_1Kykwk5hdBxz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Are those wooden stanchions through- or lag-bolted? Or just rent a Ram Set for an hour and call it good?

5 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Has there ever been a good boat built in ferro cement?

I've seen a handful. Some were indistinguishable from glass.

But I've seen many dozens of ferro boats - Vancouver was a major center for it back then. Most were trash built by people with no experience or idea.

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Should make for noisy scenes at the Planning Office.

12 hours ago, Ishmael said:

00P0P_1Kykwk5hdBxz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Are those wooden stanchions through- or lag-bolted? Or just rent a Ram Set for an hour and call it good?

That one is using a submarine.

I think you are all forgetting:  it has new sails. 

• Like 1

I would say burn it but it it so close the house.  But seeing as it is concrete grind it up for driveway gravel?

3 hours ago, dew said:

I would say burn it but it it so close the house.  But seeing as it is concrete grind it up for driveway gravel?

Pump it full of muriatic acid and wait a week.

Well, that will make it nice & white and ready for terrazzo sealer.

That's one of the things I love about Canada is that people still sail funky boats. I guess we have "progressed" past that, but in Canada, people sail what they can afford year after year without shame. That boat looks worth every bit of what they are asking for it and all I know for sure is that it being a funky POS won't limit the amount of fun or pleasure or great experiences someone could have on it. In fact, some places in Canada would welcome that boat far more than an odorless, colorless, tasteless plastic condo-boat. In fact, I'd rather be seen on that boat than your Benatoe 37.36 or your pumped-up condo-cat. So there..

• Like 5
46 minutes ago, Russell Brown said:

In fact, I'd rather be seen on that boat than your Benatoe 37.36 or your pumped-up condo-cat. So there..

Have you considered therapy?

• Like 2

That one brings new meaning to the term "hard dodger". I wonder if the spars are cement too.