Mocking Ads on Craigslist

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Ohey I send you picture...

Posted Images

1 hour ago, socalrider said:

Anyone posted this yet?

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/90809

There seems to be some pretty good craftsmanship employed to questionable ends.  And that rig... I keep thinking it is a motorboat with a sailboat passing distantly to leeward.  

image.png.397631e1e56d37f2833efab21b7d8ebd.png

I don’t hate it.  Actually kind of dig the sweet Dr. Seuss interior.  550 gallons fuel capacity says it all.  The forward radar mast needs to be slightly more ironic.  Then it would be perfect.  86 years old? Props! 

• Like 1

I admire that.  Dont love it, but, can admire it.  :D

I dunno.  It's both admirable and tragic that a guy with the skills to make a boat like that would set out to realize his dream at the age of 68, and lose the race with time after 18 years.  I couldn't see putting this vessel in the "admirable" category overall though unless I was confident in its seaworthiness.  In the below shot it has a different forestay, with a furling jib that appears to intersect the radar tower.  

I think I'd like it a lot more if it didn't have a rig, added naiad stabilizers, and was painted a different color.  

image.thumb.png.f63bfb0d14cbdd6aebc0811720abe96a.png

I see a definite intersection with Hot Rod in that thing. Maybe the rig?

I hate seeing that level of creativity, skill, energy and money wasted building a POS like that.

All of that could just as easily have created something beautiful - and sellable.

8 hours ago, socalrider said:

It's both admirable and tragic that a guy with the skills to make a boat like that , added naiad stabilizers 

Outriggers not in use here^

Look at the first pic, it's shows an outrigger with a wire straight down to what I'm assuming is a foil for righting moment?

Ten foot beam makes it pretty crowded down below. That was a strange design choice.

There are a lot of strange design choices in this boat.

The "49 Very Custom World Cruiser" would work well in Alaska and inside passage from what I can tell.   Its going to be a tough sell on today's market but I could see someone really reaching for their dreams on that one.   Unconventional boats keep things interesting at least... if that thing pulls into a harbor you can guarantee conversations will start.

11 hours ago, Bull City said:

"Cost to build $500,000 plus 18 years building the perfect cruising boat."

Astonishing.

Yep, money spent != value added. Assuming he did spend that.

Anyway, it's a classic example of why I didn't design a boat because I'm not a boat designer! I just built one to a recognised design.

I feel for him but honestly that thing has the aesthetics of a Mac 26. Or worse.

FKT

2 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/artarmon/sail-boats/roberts-43ft-yacht-will-pay-to-take-away-/1263329209

in 50 years all they got done was the hull and beams...  so,  maybe by 2060,  you'd get the deck on...  But they have plans and an old engine. so there's that...

Well... it is a Roberts.

On 5/16/2021 at 3:08 AM, socalrider said:

I think I'd like it a lot more if it didn't have a rig, added naiad stabilizers, and was painted a different color.  

Just painting the topsides white would make a world of difference. 

6 hours ago, Crusty said:

Just painting the topsides white would make a world of difference. 

Yellow would be nice. It's high on the list of self-design, self-build lunatics.

1 hour ago, See Level said:

Another example of misspent craftsmanship.

Probably good for duck hunting though.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/sprague-wooden-sailboat/7322721079.html

00n0n_QYgB1DQyLxz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

"Home built approximately 20 foot sailboat."

I would have never guessed. I was thinking Lyman-Morse.

16 minutes ago, Bull City said:

"Home built approximately 20 foot sailboat."

Now, that was just cruel

FB- Doug

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

"Home approximately built approximately 20 foot approximately sailboat."

Expanded.

Not sure if this should be posted here, on the not mocking (for honesty) or in Fix-It anarchy

Telstar 28

"This boat is sound but it was in my back yard, out of sight, out of mind and raccoons got into it and played hell. We've cleaned it up pretty well inside and pressure washed the outside a year ago but it needs it again. Also the critters chewed a small hole in the main sail I'm selling the house and need for it to be gone."

1 hour ago, Son of Hans said:

Just for fun, let's try running the numbers on this project:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/san-diego-rare-1985-alergra-24-project/7324083475.html

00N0N_gk9raL6dT6Kz_0CI0t2_50x50c.jpg

Name twice misspelled in the ad, too. And while Allegratm (fexofenadine) is a good name for a sailboat or an allergy drug, that boat looks neither allegro nor presto; and Alergratm is perhaps an even better name for the allergy drug.  

• Like 1

Looks like he finished all the fun parts.  Now starts the hard work.  That last 15% that take up 90% of the build time.

On 5/20/2021 at 6:31 PM, Son of Hans said:

Just for fun, let's try running the numbers on this project:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/san-diego-rare-1985-alergra-24-project/7324083475.html

00N0N_gk9raL6dT6Kz_0CI0t2_50x50c.jpg

Must be nice living in a world where a 36 year old incomplete 24' full keel boat is worth $10k.  I'm surprised there isn't a "golden investment opportunity" line...

"If you ever wanted a new ALEGRA 24 this is where you start."

I wonder if anybody ever thought that in the last 30 years?

And whats up with the offset hatch? Is that as bad as an offset companionway? 

00T0T_d5xxTtIZAE9z_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

On 5/17/2021 at 6:49 PM, See Level said:

Another example of misspent craftsmanship.

Probably good for duck hunting though.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/sprague-wooden-sailboat/7322721079.html

00n0n_QYgB1DQyLxz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

I want to see it with that pole thingy sticking up.  

Oh wait, the pole thingy is up.  I thought that was a power line pole in the background. silly me...

Seriously....... What a waste of good plywood...anyone have a match to put this mess out of its misery.  

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

I bet there are museum curators all eager to get their hands on this.

I wonder how many handles it started with, to still have one

FB- Doug

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

love this part...  "Available only to boat owners or amateur builders. No flippers"

WTF do you care what someone does with something after you sell it...

15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I had a friend who had that set up on his boat, and absolutely swore by it.   No stinkin' slab reefing for him!

35 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

I had a friend who had that set up on his boat, and absolutely swore by it.   No stinkin' slab reefing for him!

Our Albin Ballad came with a Selden 'Tuphfitting' roller reefing gooseneck. We ... won't be using that. Tho we do still have the crank handle, if someone wants to pay big dollars. (PM me, no dealers, no tire kickers)

The mainsail shows zero reefing cringles, so presumably all POs did use the rolly thing. If they ever reefed. Which, given the mainsail's 171 sqft and the 47% ballast ratio, probably they didn't!

The boom also has a cross section like a 60' Swan's ... despite being, like, 9' in length.

• Like 2

My Albin Vega had a Proctor mast and boom with the gooseneck attached to an axle that went through the mast to a permanent handle with a folding grip on the front of the mast. When you folded the grip, it locked the handle in-line with the mast. Worked pretty well, especially if you threw an old towel in the rolls near the leach end of the boom for better sail shape...

• Like 2

Guys, I'm as sad as anyone that cancer took your dad, but that still doesn't make his 1974 Westerly Centaur worth thirty-five thousand Canadian pesos.

$_59.PNG

Although I am impressed it made it all the way from the UK to the well- and truly-landlocked city of Calgary, Alberta.

There's a YouTube channel called Yachts for Sale where a very smooth fellow presents various superyachts you might want to buy. He's very good at it in a super yacht sales guy kind of way.  Anyway, I think if I was going to attempt to sell a Westerly Centaur for $35,000 I might see if I could hire him to make a video.  I wonder if the original owner was planning to retire to the BC Coast. Is the Centaur's chief claim to fame the ability to stay upright at low tide? There's not much call for that in Calgary, or really around here either, come to think about it. 

2 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

There's a YouTube channel called Yachts for Sale where a very smooth fellow presents various superyachts you might want to buy. He's very good at it in a super yacht sales guy kind of way.  Anyway, I think if I was going to attempt to sell a Westerly Centaur for $35,000 I might see if I could hire him to make a video.  I wonder if the original owner was planning to retire to the BC Coast. Is the Centaur's chief claim to fame the ability to stay upright at low tide? There's not much call for that in Calgary, or really around here either, come to think about it. 

uPr3WqyD-sch2AwFmiMA05fwHnTy3_VEaovdXHwx

I have one word: Comox.

Only park a Centaur there if you want to have the classiest yacht in the harbour.

• Like 3

Young hippy guy near me parks his centaur at a quay wall. Floating caravan/crack shack. Never actually sailed for years. Prop fell off. 

Every time I walk past I think I should tell him to take the mainsail off, been sitting exposed on the boom for like two years. And maybe raise the boom with the topping lift so he can actually use the cockpit ? Just don’t understand some people. 

He’d be relieved to know it’s worth 20000€ though. Buy a lot of weed with that. 

• Like 3
On 5/27/2021 at 4:54 PM, RogerC said:

Guys, I'm as sad as anyone that cancer took your dad, but that still doesn't make his 1974 Westerly Centaur worth thirty-five thousand Canadian pesos.

$_59.PNG

Although I am impressed it made it all the way from the UK to the well- and truly-landlocked city of Calgary, Alberta.

So THAT'S where she ended up...huh.

(j/k, not mine...but for some reason, that boat speaks to me...)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

No ad but I feel the need to share.

6691f251_c2f6_4f54_ab2e_06980d51f7b1_5ab

That’s... astonishing.  Most of my relatives people I know who are capable of that would spend the money on booze and meth before it ever got to that point.

I bet adding that long shaft trolling motor really kicked it up to 11

I bet the person who put all this together also has a T-shirt with an arrow and the words "I'm with stupid"

- DSK

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

I bet the person who put all this together also has a T-shirt with an arrow and the words "I'm with stupid"

- DSK

That would be his wife's shirt.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, toddster said:

Yikes!  Looks like it had a hippie infestation.  And/or a drug raid.

00b0b_4YQuaB8wzMfz_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg

... I wonder if there's a body under there somewhere?

Looks more like raccoons to me.

• Like 1
On 5/28/2021 at 5:45 AM, robtoujours said:

Young hippy guy near me parks his centaur at a quay wall... *snip*

He’d be relieved to know it’s worth 20000€ though...

I figure mine's gotta be worth more: I've cleaned the leaves and trash out of the cockpit.

If someone was gonna try selling off a $30k car, do y'all think they'd clean the old fast food bags out of it first? 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, toddster said:

There is a lot to take in here... guessing this boat is not going anywhere...

00S0S_hqfEjw0emEPz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

I thought that... structure was just an awning. But it has steps.  And lumber...

Apparently these boats were never pretty, but google suggests that they might attract a certain type:

That boat is in my marina, in an area of the city where a small fixer-upper house can cost a million dollars. It looks to be an ideal live aboard so unless it is a wreck the price may be reasonable. I suspect it will never sail again. The slips can only be sublet for a year and are not transferable, so finding a new home berth for a live aboard could be a challenge.

21 minutes ago, steele said:

That boat is in my marina, in an area of the city where a small fixer-upper house can cost a million dollars. It looks to be an ideal live aboard so unless it is a wreck the price may be reasonable. I suspect it will never sail again. The slips can only be sublet for a year and are not transferable, so finding a new home berth for a live aboard could be a challenge.

Reminds me of an article in todays NYT about massive maintenance projects going on in Amsterdam and people are being asked to *gasp* move their boats!  "What?  They move?????  We've been here for decades!!!"

Our marina has a policy that boats have to be able to move under there own power. Between abanded boats, and liveaboards with so much junk piled up that they are barely afloat, it is clear that the rule is not enforced.

The Coffin Maker

Listed as a sailboat with no mast or sail and can only use the motor... sounds more like a motorboat to me.

The name seems interesting... from the Choctaw language,/itumbi ikbi/, meaning "box maker, coffin maker", from /itumbi/, "box, coffin", and /ikbi/, "maker"

00X0X_YBpgGLZ8uEz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

On 6/5/2021 at 4:45 PM, toddster said:

There is a lot to take in here... guessing this boat is not going anywhere...

00S0S_hqfEjw0emEPz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

I thought that... structure was just an awning. But it has steps.  And lumber...

Apparently these boats were never pretty, but google suggests that they might attract a certain type:

3df39ee3-d8d4-4881-a721-5843ecbf1145_750

This boat is just down the way from me.  It is very interesting for sure.  Not in bad condition really...just a lot going on.  They keep their slip tidy and are good neighbors I hear.

• Like 1

Having live-aboards sharing the same finger pier can be a plus. I had a nice couple accross from me for a few years. We helped each other out with minor projects, and having sombody who knows you and your boat, who happens to be there almost full time, can be reassuring. 

Being away for 14 days at a time, I really appreciate all the liveaboards.

At one time on my dock there was Mom and Dad down at one end, daughter and boyfriend right next to me and the young son across from me.  

The guy in charge of moorage also lives on the same dock with his wife.  There's no assholes, and strangers are quickly and politely confronted.

• Like 1

The boat was designed with a bustle - typical for a boat in that era.   But some genius decided that if a bustle was a good idea, extending the bustle to the transom was even better.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

What can you do to a boat to make it unsaleable?

Gut it.

Dunno - I've seen a few that would be vastly improved by being gutted...

FKT

Not really mocking so much as mildly amused at how so many people seem to trash the inside of their boats before getting rid of them.  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa/d/south-san-francisco-1971-columbia-34/7327489736.html

1971 Columbia 34 - $100 (south san francisco)

SALE PENDING! 

Needs a lot of TLC. Boat is non-operational and needs to be towed out from the marina. There is no outboard mounting bracket, you must have the means of towing the boat to another location. $100 OBO

00b0b_4YQuaB8wzMfz_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_gSguD93sSHKz_0yC0pY_1200x900.jpg

16 hours ago, Winston29 said:

Not really mocking so much as mildly amused at how so many people seem to trash the inside of their boats before getting rid of them.  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa/d/south-san-francisco-1971-columbia-34/7327489736.html

1971 Columbia 34 - $100 (south san francisco)

SALE PENDING! 

Needs a lot of TLC. Boat is non-operational and needs to be towed out from the marina. There is no outboard mounting bracket, you must have the means of towing the boat to another location. $100 OBO

combination squatter/hoarder/live-aboard hobo.  Me thinks its the marina forcing the "sale" through adverse possession of an abandoned vehicle.  But I think they need to to rethink their pricing.   Offer someone the slip revenue for a couple months I'll bet it would make the boat disapear pretty quick.  And only give them check when the lines are untied and its secured to a tow vehicle....

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...