Mocking Ads on Craigslist

2 minutes ago, See Level said:
3 hours ago, Hukilau said:

Note the "security" skirt, much like was used to keep prying eyes away from the winged keel on Australia II. If you want to know the secret of the True Temper Petite keel, you'll have to buy it.

I'm not going to buy it to find out,  but I'd guess the keel consists of a broken down wheel barrow frame and two rusty wheels with flat tires.

Well, the fluid flow lift/drag properties of flat wheel barrow tires really have to seen to be believed

FB- Doug

• Like 1
  • Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

No, no, you've got it all wrong. My comment about only doing one circumnavigation was an example of what people call "false modesty". Or "Irony". Look it up sometime. You're just another grifter

Posted Images

6 hours ago, See Level said:

I'm not going to buy it to find out,  but I'd guess the keel consists of a broken down wheel barrow frame and two rusty wheels with flat tires.

No, doesn't look like a bilge keeler to me, I'm guessing one flat wheel sorta on centerline. You have to start with the flat on the bottom so it rises. Flat on the top and it's a very fast submarine for about two seconds. 

The People's Foiler. Moth-es for the Masses. Aspiring Larry Ellisons -- Start Here!

Also, the label "Yard Butler" must always be followed by a significant glance over the top of one's sunglasses. Sort of like "Pool Boy."

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

I feel like good results could be had with a mattock keel.

TT-5M_Terra-Mattock_2000x.jpg?v=1615844367

Nice wide mounting base but I think it needs a bulb.

12 hours ago, Ishmael said:

No, doesn't look like a bilge keeler to me, I'm guessing one flat wheel sorta on centerline. You have to start with the flat on the bottom so it rises. Flat on the top and it's a very fast submarine for about two seconds. 

I thought all the cool kids had 2 foils to lift out now.:D

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Mounting base! Those are the foily bits, sir.

hqdefault.jpg

Foily bits point down. Until you capsize, then they point up.

Incandescent or LED?

On 6/29/2021 at 8:12 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Truly a work of an unappreciated genius, with no legs

FB- Doug

FIFU

• Like 1
On 6/28/2021 at 9:17 PM, Windward said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1410745225948070/

May be an image of outdoors

About This Vehicle

Exterior color: Black · Interior color: Black

Fuel type: Plug-in hybrid

3+ owners

Seller's Description

AlmostNew!! Compact fishing boat. Can be carried in a Prius. You won’t find this anywhere in the US. 40 hp Johnson, runs
See Less

Bellingham, WA
Location is approximate

Is that the tub from a wheel barrow???

4 hours ago, chester said:

Is that the tub from a wheel barrow???

And if you look closely enough at the imitation water you'll find the handles and most probably the wheel still attached .:rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, Winston29 said:

-Ford Lehman 2711e diesel fresh overhaul
-Must move 
-No leaks
-No rust or cracks in cement
-Fiberglass cabin top and port windows leak when it rains

So that's no leaks except for the bits that leak.

And the fact that the leaks are described only in relation to rain (rather than seawater) is a clear statement that the boat hasn't been to sea in a long time.

• Like 2
On 7/2/2021 at 4:41 AM, Winston29 said:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/d/san-jose-50-foot-ferro-cement-ketch/7344612579.html

$10,000??  :o

-Ford Lehman 2711e diesel fresh overhaul
-Must move 
-No leaks
-No rust or cracks in cement
-Fiberglass cabin top and port windows leak when it rains

00k0k_8rXwHsxrKvWz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Those interior cushions make this long time, very old sailor seasick

Damned disorienting just looking at the picture.  

Jetsailer 45:

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/d/seward-sailboat-jetsailer-45/7341624805.html

I can't find any info on this boat except for a an old brochure they want $35 for : https://boatbrochure.com/products/jetsailer-45-brochure.  sailboat data has nothing listed for "jetsailer"  and it is not an option under 'Westwind Yachts"

From the brochure scan I can make out that it has 2 98hp Mitsubishi diesels. 900amp hours of batteries onboard...

My real question is.. did this thing work as intended?  I can't image 200 ish hp on jet drives pushing a 45 foot rather conventional underbody with bayliner-ish topsides around.  Reverse must be a real treat...  I could be wrong but this looks like something that should never have reached a drawing board.

00A0A_dOy0JFyZS2Bz_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg

00000_amJY9JAkq6Uz_0oo0ww_600x450.jpg

00i0i_hrzgNywZyiAz_0oo0ww_600x450.jpg

I'm with you sailak that it would be very noisy but i can't imagine it hoofing along like a destroyer since there are a couple of 0's missing from the engine output to match...

Ludicrous and while beauty may be subjective if everyone agrees does that make it objective?  Can we objectively say it is hideous since i don't think we could find anyone who disagrees?

"Jetsailer 45". The outside is in excellent shape, the in inside, condition unknown, must see. Has twin jet motors for power, condition unknown. The owner has residence in Anchorage and will need to be contacted to purchase and at an aggreged value. .

That's a lot of unknown, including the price.  And what the heck is an "aggreged" value?  :P

aggregated = purchase price plus whatever storage the dude posting the ad is due?  Good luck with this...

2 hours ago, Winston29 said:

That's a lot of unknown, including the price.  And what the heck is an "aggreged" value?  :P

Where's the fun in a normal agreed value for purchase?

Not a Craigslist item but an interesting craft none the less

Not so sure about the cradle or the inboard.  But looking at the pictures, someone has cared somewhat for her.  Iron keel, no rust says something.  And she must do something right, 3900 of them have been sold.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393422839642?_trkparms=aid%3D1110010%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.DISCCARDS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818141627%26meid%3Da475898d5261478f87e0288dfcf9b56e%26pid%3D101110%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D363448369906%26itm%3D393422839642%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2563228%26algv%3DDiscOrganicBase&_trksid=p2563228.c101110.m1982

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/maxi-77

On 7/3/2021 at 3:21 PM, Santana20AE said:

Those interior cushions make this long time, very old sailor seasick

Damned disorienting just looking at the picture.  

Amen.

On 7/4/2021 at 2:14 PM, Winston29 said:

"Jetsailer 45". The outside is in excellent shape, the in inside, condition unknown, must see. Has twin jet motors for power, condition unknown. The owner has residence in Anchorage and will need to be contacted to purchase and at an aggreged value. .

the exterior is judged as "excellent"     sheer down to keel looks ok (condition wise).    But the deck.., was speckled grey a factory color option....

sounds like the marina is trying to nudge the owner in the direction of selling...

18 minutes ago, longy said:

Really looks like the same hull as the Lancer 45

That's what I thought - but they made it uglier.

48 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That's what I thought - but they made it uglier.

That was no mean feat considering the competition. Lancer sure built some ugly boats.

The Lancer 45 with a flying bridge was noteworthy - looked like a sport fisherman with a rig. :blink:

Asking $US12K for a creatively mod'd J/24 in Quebec...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-voilier/laval-rive-nord/trimaran-artisanal-habitable-24-pieds/1570988602

Yowza, not sure where to start, so I've taken a few liberties in translating the ad copy for y'all:

Handcrafted Trimaran J/24.

Very efficient and pleasant.

Very stable!

20" draft!

Can dock on the beach.

Road trailer worth $5k included.

Fits 4 people

Sails are in great condition!

Carbon spin pole.

Performance package.

BBQ, anchor, mooring equipment, swim ladder, and much more.

Ready to sail.

Ready for your vacation on mooring at Calumet Point next to Oka.

Johnson 9.9 engine in great condition.

And much more.

$_591.jpg

$_592.jpg

$_593.jpg

But no boom vang, apparently

22 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

The mutant offspring of a J/24 and a Hobie Cat.

Exactly how do you board it from a side tie with no trampoline? Jump?

Tramps cost money. This is more artistic, to board from the side you have to be creative!

FB- Doug

On 7/9/2021 at 6:19 AM, CriticalPath said:

Asking $US12K for a creatively mod'd J/24 in Quebec...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-voilier/laval-rive-nord/trimaran-artisanal-habitable-24-pieds/1570988602

Yowza, not sure where to start, so I've taken a few liberties in translating the ad copy for y'all:

Handcrafted Trimaran J/24.

Very efficient and pleasant.

Very stable!

20" draft!

Can dock on the beach.

Road trailer worth $5k included.

Fits 4 people

Sails are in great condition!

Carbon spin pole.

Performance package.

BBQ, anchor, mooring equipment, swim ladder, and much more.

Ready to sail.

Ready for your vacation on mooring at Calumet Point next to Oka.

Johnson 9.9 engine in great condition.

And much more.

$_591.jpg

$_592.jpg

$_593.jpg

Why??

At first, I tried to understand the thought process that would lead to... that.  Then I realized that it's probably one of those toxic memes - fully understanding his thought might lead to permanent brain damage.  :unsure:

He owns 3 dozen of them?

It would take as much effort to get them out of the undergrowth as it would take to do a full restoration on one.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/richmond-47-ron-holland-project-boat/7353898345.html

1980 Ron Holland 47.  It was in some sort of accident a few years ago that resulted in both hull and deck damage (repaired).  

Just needs a little TLC...  

TLC = A complete interior, engine work and new sails/rigging.  All for just $10,000.  

fullsizeoutput_1462.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1463.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1464.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Okay it's not CL...but let's take a walk on the boulevard of broken boat dreams

"$1"

1987 Irwin Citation 38′ (Gravity Storm)
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/92239

1987 Irwin Citation located in  for sale

I suspect a couple of hurricanes will get her nicely all the way to the shore

On 7/21/2021 at 6:05 AM, J_Grove said:

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/d/west-palm-beach-48-catamaran-project/7350843843.html

This ad raises several questions, but the one that struck me first is, build was started in 1962 and still not finished? That's approaching 60 years of things coming up in life.

At this rate they'll be done painting the hull in 2035.

1 hour ago, climenuts said:

At this rate they'll be done painting the hull in 2035.

First off, she (it) looks a bit to narrow for safe sailing off shore (Off ANY shore). 

Second, I’ve seen nicer boats chainsawed.    

However, hauled up on the Mississippi Levee  around Christmas time, it might make a nice addition to one of the bonfires.  $15,000.  Not a Chance 

On 7/21/2021 at 2:05 PM, J_Grove said:

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/d/west-palm-beach-48-catamaran-project/7350843843.html

This ad raises several questions, but the one that struck me first is, build was started in 1962 and still not finished? That's approaching 60 years of things coming up in life.

This weirdly-painted contraption a strong candidate for review by the duly-accredited members of the Ugly Boat Appreciation Society.

$9 grand for a full on project?

It's made it up the Fraser all the way to New West so if some kind soul doesn't buy it and restore it the chances of it ever seeing salt water again are slim.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc/boa/d/new-westminster-northeast-1977-irwin-32/7353868656.html

00W0W_cfqKhBAWWnEz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

BITD that was a pretty cool boat - had a blue IMP style paint job. Mostly a pretty well built boat but the interior was junky. Doesn't look like it ever got any love since then.

$9 grand for a full on project?

It's made it up the Fraser all the way to New West so if some kind soul doesn't buy it and restore it the chances of it ever seeing salt water again are slim.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc/boa/d/new-westminster-northeast-1977-irwin-32/7353868656.html

00W0W_cfqKhBAWWnEz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

BITD that was a pretty cool boat - had a blue IMP style paint job. Mostly a pretty well built boat but the interior was junky. Doesn't look like it ever got any love since then.

Was this at one time Ewing McGruer's "Merry Muses"? It was in the 70's so a long time ago. Raced against her in PHRF.

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Looks like the original 1977 cushion covers, for added authenticity.

00101_lYptT7IjXNZz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Look hell… I can smell them.

Shoulda gone with Naugahyde.  The vinyl cushions on my 1954 travel trailer still look pretty good. Sure, I have to clean mouse nests out of the underside every spring, but a spritz of fabreeze and it’s all good again.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bajakiter said:

Was this at one time Ewing McGruer's "Merry Muses"? It was in the 70's so a long time ago. Raced against her in PHRF.

It was Ganymede when I knew it - no idea who owned it.

What is going on at the ass end?  At first I thought it was some kind of wind vane aux rudder.   But maybe it looks more like an anchor stock laying alongside the diesel exhaust.  At an improbable angle…

7 hours ago, toddster said:

What is going on at the ass end?  At first I thought it was some kind of wind vane aux rudder.   But maybe it looks more like an anchor stock laying alongside the diesel exhaust.  At an improbable angle…

That boat is in God's waiting room for old boats.  If I was in God's waiting room, I'd try to have a good anchor ready.

7 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

That boat is in God's waiting room for old boats.  If I was in God's waiting room, I'd try to have a good anchor ready.

Also, bring your own reading material. All God has is 5-year old Sports Illustrated and Good Housekeeping magazines.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, toddster said:

Submersible backstay adjuster?

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Also, bring your own reading material. All God has is 5-year old Sports Illustrated and Good Housekeeping magazines.

Probably no swim suit issues.

1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

What with all the smoting and smiting and general psychopathy, I was beginning to this God bloke a bit much.  Now if his reading material is so grim, that may be the final straw which prompts me to look for alternative suppliers of the everafter.

Does he have a customer retention team who can offer inducements to stay?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Bull City said:

Probably no swim suit issues.

The latest one with the trans model should make the right wingers apoplectic.

Would it be insensitive to hope for a few well placed strokes?

And yes, that was deliberate. :D

2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

What with all the smoting and smiting and general psychopathy, I was beginning to this God bloke a bit much.  Now if his reading material is so grim, that may be the final straw which prompts me to look for alternative suppliers of the everafter.....

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, LakeBoy said:

Is there a thread for crazy stuff on Craigslist?

Found this under boats on my SW Ohio search

Huge Rocket Pontoons

Think they will make a catamaran?

image.png.e0e6269cf2e73d21c84db42174aec1d7.png

Yes

There are a bunch of pontoon boats around here made out of airplane fuel tanks. They're not really good boats, but I assume somebody gets the tanks cheap from the Navy/Marine airplane repair base that is nearby

- DSK

3 hours ago, LakeBoy said:

Huge Rocket Pontoons

Fill it with lead and make a keel bulb for a big boat

• Like 1
22 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

What with all the smoting and smiting and general psychopathy, I was beginning to this God bloke a bit much.  Now if his reading material is so grim, that may be the final straw which prompts me to look for alternative suppliers of the everafter.

He's basically your dentist. Inflicting pain for your own long-term good. "Open your mouth and quit yer whining!"

God & the Dentist – Lost in the Cloud

That's why the waiting room sucks so hard.

(This is beautiful.:lol: )

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

@Diarmuid, whatever you are doing for a living these days ... please stop it and become a writer

One has degrees in English and poetry writing, but one builds things from wood because it pays one better than writing.:D This is a bad time to gig out as a freelancer, or to look for staff positions with newspapers & magazines. My partner runs a small publishing imprint and has also written and edited perhaps ten books for other publishers, still in print. There's great amusement opening the royalty checks that arrive every six months. "It's from (Famous) University Press -- ooh, you made $4.33!"

Writing, successfully, for a living, requires a degree of narrow-eyed cynicism that makes the T&A v(f)loggers over in yonder Patreonland look like children. I may have access to that level of cynicism, in the same way I have access to a couple of long guns. Both are best kept locked in the attic, where they can't hurt anyone.

(Dark me: "I bet I could write a dude's version of Eat, Pray, Love. Where are the broken, empty places in the male psyche today -- and what sort of soothing twaddle can I stuff in the void to make the reader feel whole, or at least capable of wholeness in some misty future? Zac Efron would star in the movie version.")

:lol::(

• Like 6

Ah @Diarmuid, to fund the abysmally-paid practice of good writing, you may need to take some extreme measures: drink cheaper booze, eat only rice and lentils, sell a few children, whatever.  Or maybe just set aside a few hours per week.

But you clearly have a great creative mind and fine writing skills, so I reckon that if you carved out a bit of time for writing, you could create something wonderful.    Please don't die wondering if you really had it in you :) 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yes

There are a bunch of pontoon boats around here made out of airplane fuel tanks. They're not really good boats, but I assume somebody gets the tanks cheap from the Navy/Marine airplane repair base that is nearby

- DSK

A few years ago I found a strange-looking rig that used those drop-tanks, waaaaaay up the Albion River, near Mendocino, Ca. while on a kayaking trip.  

fullsizeoutput_162.jpeg

16 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Ah @Diarmuid, to fund the abysmally-paid practice of good writing, you may need to take some extreme measures: drink cheaper booze, eat only rice and lentils, sell a few children, whatever.  Or maybe just set aside a few hours per week.

But you clearly have a great creative mind and fine writing skills, so I reckon that if you carved out a bit of time for writing, you could create something wonderful.    Please don't die wondering if you really had it in you :) 

That's very kind. But... I know I really have it in me. That's precisely why I won't do it. I twice declined a fully-subsidized law career for the same reason. At some point, you find yourself sending innocents to death row or freeing serial killers or shielding fucking Monsanto because you are really ace at guiding the minds of twelve people too honest or too stupid to avoid jury duty. "Them's breaks in an adversarial legal system, bitches!"

It was great fun manipulating college professors, scoring top grades and winning awards for poetry and literary criticism by sussing what they want to read and giving it to them with bells on. Tho some (like Hemingway) might argue that isn't proper sport as there are no consequences.:P

• Like 5

Dammit, @Diarmuid, your no-I-won't replies are so wonderfully eloquent and witty and make your case so well that they have the opposite effect of what you intend: they shout "why is the world being deprived of this writer?"

I think that the film Amadeus may provide some guidance on coercive techniques to squeeze out the writing.

But seriously, that knowledge that you have it in you is a wonderful thing.  Many people spend their lives doubting that.   And then their are people like Gordon Brown, who spent 40 years trying to become Prime Minister of the UK and then found that really did not have it: he couldn't communicate.  When he was planning his re-election campaign, he announced that the campaign would be based on "thee Fs" ... but before he spelled out "freedom, fairness" etc his cabinet chorused back with other Fs: futile, finished, fucked, forgetaboutit.  Ouch.

13 hours ago, LakeBoy said:

Huge Rocket Pontoons

When my older brother and I were little kids, 1950s, we used to think we could get hold of one of these things and make a great submarine. Shit, we knew what we were doing. We just needed tools and lots of money. Fortunately for us and our offspring, we never had access to either.

• Like 1