Mocking Ads on Craigslist

On 9/11/2021 at 4:15 PM, SloopJonB said:

Nobody does style like Italians.

Nobody.

By the way, that little X1/9 was styled by Bertone, the "house" designer for Lambo.

In those days if you wanted round & smooth you went to Pininfarina and if you wanted angles & edgy you went to Bertone.

Yeah, they did have some misses.

manengfrnt1979.jpg

On 9/13/2021 at 12:45 PM, Zonker said:

I want one of these (the one in the middle)

image.png.e9f580dbe884000f8932ed66999630c5.png

Bonus points if you know what it is.

Meh.  Known a few people that bought some 15yr JDM cars & bikes, all had been sitting on a dock for years and full of problems, along with saltwater corrosion.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Ohey I send you picture...

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Fleetwood said:

Difficult to style the Volvo 2nn series!

Bertone didn't just style those, they actually hand built them in Italy.  Old school Italy.  They actually are really nicely done.

8218774446_6df82c2aaf_b.jpg

978520355.jpg

Turns out, getting somebody to shell out boutique prices on a Volvo was a tough sell.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, 167149 said:

quick and pretty painless to change though, from memory it was swap the battery round and the coil leads then a flick of 12v to the (been a while so dont remember if it was field or dynamo)and you're away, Had a bristol PD48 as an onsite machine and ran a car radio to have sound onsite (pre boom box days)asl did the same with a coupla bedfords we had as well

Diesel so no coil. Basically I think you're right, need to reverse the starter motor connections as well I think.

Too lazy and it works...

FKT

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Diesel so no coil. Basically I think you're right, need to reverse the starter motor connections as well I think.

Too lazy and it works...

FKT

I remember one technique for converting a 6 volt system to 12V was to simply change the battery and generator and start the engine.

The you replaced everything that blew. :D

On 9/14/2021 at 2:19 AM, SloopJonB said:

Those old pony cars and muscle cars were rude & crude compared to what we have now but they had style & soul & personality the new cars just don't have.

The current Mustang captures some of it but that's about it.

Name a contemporary car that has the magic the original GTO or SS 396 had.

Do small boys even dream about cars anymore?

Damn I miss "The Annual Model Change". :D

So every month or two so my 16 y.o. son and a couple of his mates come with me to check out modded JDMs at the track -  S15 / Skyline / Supra.  We go in my modded 08 WRX, he and I are about to undertake rebuilding my broken Peugeot 205 with a period Peugeot 2l turbo (wish us luck !)

The WRX is modern, super reliable, gets 10+Km / litre, traction control is mind blowing in the bucketing rain, it is a technical/engineering tour de force.  With 3" exhaust, BOV, Pod intake it sounds absolutely beast and goes to match.

The 205 (1991) is a big go cart, slammed with near to no suspension, 850kg and no power steering, you feel every pebble though the wheel.  I can't wait to get the little bastard back on the road.

Each to their own but I wouldn't swap either for a GTO (except to sell it !!)

13 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Yeah, they did have some misses.

manengfrnt1979.jpg

Meh.  Known a few people that bought some 15yr JDM cars & bikes, all had been sitting on a dock for years and full of problems, along with saltwater corrosion.

I tried to watch that video last week, but that kook is so annoying that I had to boot it.

And then I watched some Scotty Kilmer videos. That’s the other annoying guy who talks with his hands.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I remember one technique for converting a 6 volt system to 12V was to simply change the battery and generator and start the engine.

The you replaced everything that blew. :D

I had a ‘62 Toyota FJ-25 and that was how it was converted!

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

I tried to watch that video last week, but that kook is so annoying that I had to boot it.

And then I watched some Scotty Kilmer videos. That’s the other annoying guy who talks with his hands.

Yeah if you think sailing Youtubers to tough to stomach, the auto side of Youtube I'd say is even worse.

Not sure what's worse, "We're fixing a cheap boat!" or "Fixing the cheapest Lamborghini in the US".

Equal amounts of hamfisted fuckery.

On 4/25/2013 at 3:18 PM, Jackdaw said:

I'm in..

A live-aboard 24 foot Jenneau Tonic, one of the most awkward small boats of the 80-90.

http://images.craigslist.org/3Ef3K83M95I15G65M4d4j972a6af41e4e16a6.jpg

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/3754431060.html

Huh...back in the early 90's i lusted after the Tonic.  In Canada they were almost exclusively located in Quebec though.

Meanwhile, back in the mocking of craigslist ad place...

https://providence.craigslist.org/boa/d/barrington-fast-and-fun-38ft-sailboat/7381618210.html

Fast and fun 38ft Sailboat - $38 (barrington)

length overall (LOA): 38
propulsion type: sail

Designed as a racer and built as a cruiser . . this boat sails on a par with modern sailboats costing 10X what you could own this for.

And that's true, I'm sure that boat is as good as any $380 sailboat out there..... :ph34r:

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Meanwhile, back in the mocking of craigslist ad place...

https://providence.craigslist.org/boa/d/barrington-fast-and-fun-38ft-sailboat/7381618210.html

Fast and fun 38ft Sailboat - $38 (barrington)

length overall (LOA): 38
propulsion type: sail

Designed as a racer and built as a cruiser . . this boat sails on a par with modern sailboats costing 10X what you could own this for.

And that's true, I'm sure that boat is as good as any $380 sailboat out there..... :ph34r:

FB- Doug

I believe one could probably get the $38 back in cutting the mast up and selling it as scrap aluminum.  But I agree, not many boats 38 feet long and selling for $380, would be any better.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mcmurdo said:

I have no idea what this guy is selling, but I'm pretty sure I won't be buying any.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc/boa/d/coquitlam-sailboat/7381944807.html

Holy shit, El Mariachi is looking for a boat!

fed up ?......ready to buy a sailboat , head someplace tropical for snorkeling around a coral reef with turtles , in philippines ?.....and what better way to escape the fear-flu , needles and zombies.....
its gonna be in the 68 k range ....i have my 1/2 $ and trade skills......i have much boating motor engine boat exp. but am looking for an experienced sailor skipper / partner.....
please phone only.....i am semi retired mature tradesman.....and looking for a specific type of "someone" ( not just money....skill and spirit, to fight > experience is paramount ) serious to discuss partnership venture....coz a live a board sailboat is gonna be a man's last semblance of freedom..... and maybe survival ......got monero ?

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:
3 hours ago, Ripply said:

The boat has a high negative value, but i think i'd offer €5 for the story of what it i (or was) and how it came to be a mastless mishmash in a moonscape

My reaction was that the hulls actually aren't so bad looking.

The story is almost certain to be something like, guy was building this really cool catamaran and went broke/got sick/divorced/gave up having 85% finished the hulls; then another dreamer acquired them in exchange for all the money he had and assembled them into this shanty.

How it got to the tidal verge of Kachamak Bay, you'll have to invent that part yourself. Just don't go sayin' that it sailed there.

FB- Doug

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

My reaction was that the hulls actually aren't so bad looking.

The story is almost certain to be something like, guy was building this really cool catamaran and went broke/got sick/divorced/gave up having 85% finished the hulls; then another dreamer acquired them in exchange for all the money he had and assembled them into this shanty.

How it got to the tidal verge of Kachamak Bay, you'll have to invent that part yourself. Just don't go sayin' that it sailed there.

FB- Doug

I think it's telling that it's only pictured at low tide. I wonder how much shows when the tide comes in.

On 9/21/2021 at 10:27 AM, Ishmael said:

I think it's telling that it's only pictured at low tide. I wonder how much shows when the tide comes in.

kachemak bay from memory has roughly 52' tides, leastways that's what we had in kenai which is not too far up the coast, so it could well just dissappear

20 minutes ago, 167149 said:
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

No it doesn't.

Fundy has the highest tides in the world and they don't hit 52'

with the minus tides included yes they do,

I was curious about this, so I didst turn into Google.  Yet, verily, Google leadeth me not unto clear answers :( 

For example

I take all this as "depend where in the bay you mean, and also on who you ask"

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:
5 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I take all this as "depend where in the bay you mean, and also on who you ask"

You mean, "upon WHOM" you ask.

Sorry, couldn't resist, I'm just on my way out now

- DSK

The correct version is "...also who the fuck you ask". We are sailors, after all.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Ishmael said:
10 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

My wife always asks me why I say Fuck so much, and I just say, I'm a sailor.

"I'm a fucking sailor". Get with the program.

Careful. Your wife is the one person who really decides if you're a fucking sailor or a lonely sailor.

FB- Doug

• Like 2

Hi Zonker   

This is looking, so sad to see all the same old faces on here and now they are only left with mocking cars.
but the good news is LABORA and me  have been sailing the shit out of the sea for the last 2.5 years now, WOW what an Adventure, of course, all the armchair sailors on here said no way,

labora 44.jpg

210663343_1857959207708727_8959904329788792327_n.jpg

123370156_1738468716319984_1997844188754071891_n.jpg

CCCC.jpg

B.jpg

118832450_2820159761557434_8011407065073680611_o.jpg

SDSDDD.jpg

9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Careful. Your wife is the one person who really decides if you're a fucking sailor or a lonely sailor.

FB- Doug

Not if you meet the other traditional criterion and have a woman at each port...

FKT

1 hour ago, takudave said:

Hi Zonker   

This is looking, so sad to see all the same old faces on here and now they are only left with mocking cars.
but the good news is LABORA and me  have been sailing the shit out of the sea for the last 2.5 years now, WOW what an Adventure, of course, all the armchair sailors on here said no way,

labora 44.jpg

210663343_1857959207708727_8959904329788792327_n.jpg

123370156_1738468716319984_1997844188754071891_n.jpg

CCCC.jpg

B.jpg

118832450_2820159761557434_8011407065073680611_o.jpg

SDSDDD.jpg

Has El Mariachi got himself a boat?

FKT

Wanted: Skanky Woman For Bicycle Rides - $1 (Fruitport/Spring Lake)

condition: good 
size / dimensions: HWP/FWB/NSA 

WANTED: Skanky woman for occasional bicycle rides. Must know the trails well in the area. 55+ years old with a good rack and HWP. Must have a well maintained and lubed bicycle for long distance treks. HMU, if interested. Have a great day.

EDIT: apologies, I thought this was Bicycle Anarchy.

17 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I don't think Boothie would let a woman near the engine on his boat, much less a woman holding a pipe wrench.

FB- Doug

I saw one of his precious Internationals the other day as I drove through central NSW.

It was a rusted, wheel-less wreck next to a tin shed. Not even worth enough to put inside.

Still, if it's the best he can do - it's the best he can do.

FKT

3 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I saw one of his precious Internationals the other day as I drove through central NSW.

It was a rusted, wheel-less wreck next to a tin shed. Not even worth enough to put inside.

Still, if it's the best he can do - it's the best he can do.

FKT

Well, sometimes things that are worthless to the rest of us become precious in the eyes of somebody who doesn't have a rational standard of comparison... I wouldn't take a big-ass Irwin for free, either.

Plus, his ideas about women exclude their being mechanics. That photo doesn't disprove it, either.

- DSK

3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, sometimes things that are worthless to the rest of us become precious in the eyes of somebody who doesn't have a rational standard of comparison... I wouldn't take a big-ass Irwin for free, either.

Plus, his ideas about women exclude their being mechanics. That photo doesn't disprove it, either.

- DSK

How true. I own quite a few things for no rational reason at all.

As my GF points out.

When I eventually get home, another cull is going to take place. I think it's something you need to do periodically to keep the 'stuff' from taking over. Keeping my IH TD9 Drott tracked loader is getting pretty difficult for even me to justify for example.

I'd be happy if a woman wanted to be a mechanic. Very happy. She could do the oil & filter changes on the Bukh diesel while I did something else. Fishing comes to mind.

FKT

1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

How true. I own quite a few things for no rational reason at all.

As my GF points out.

When I eventually get home, another cull is going to take place. I think it's something you need to do periodically to keep the 'stuff' from taking over. Keeping my IH TD9 Drott tracked loader is getting pretty difficult for even me to justify for example.

I'd be happy if a woman wanted to be a mechanic. Very happy. She could do the oil & filter changes on the Bukh diesel while I did something else. Fishing comes to mind.

FKT

Yeah, I've acquired a bunch of guitar stuff that seriously needs to be culled, too.

And women can be great mechanics and/or technicians. A very nice and smart young lady mechanic worked on our current boat shortly after acquiring it, did a great job.

- DSK

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, See Level said:

More wishful thinking

Annapolis 44 - $45,000 (Marysville)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/marysville-annapolis-44/7390463577.html

00f0f_7etOirdqhfUz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00R0R_4wQy2YAcSBwz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

$45,000.00.  heck, add a couple more zero’s to the price.  Feel real good about the fact that you did your best to make the wife happy but;;

“darling I just could not get a buyer.  So, since it won’t sell at 45k, lets put just a bit more $$ into her and get her all fixed up.  Then we can decide if we want to keep her or try to see if she will sell at 500K.  Huh Sweety, thats a good plan, right?”  

From Eire, been watching this at a local listings site - was initially listed for 12k. 

Ferrocement, in case you didn’t realise. Probably a decent light air performer. 

Winches are probably worth something?

47071673-72D3-4FD2-B420-001684F94E97.thumb.jpeg.03158bf5fc7893807782f73598e253f5.jpeg

35BC411D-9551-473E-A0A5-0709B1B42331.thumb.jpeg.0af78abcdc130796b7928253e3c4b322.jpeg

085AD9CA-43CB-4509-83EA-57FEBF77B4F5.thumb.jpeg.7562b21b39a288a478db768169b9a95a.jpeg

61CECBBB-5DE2-45B7-A187-5A132CB8426F.thumb.jpeg.c77ff900d014279ae146d9f611025421.jpeg

661B5657-2DFD-4521-A417-E169962BC41B.jpeg

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, robtoujours said:

085AD9CA-43CB-4509-83EA-57FEBF77B4F5.thumb.jpeg.7562b21b39a288a478db768169b9a95a.jpeg

Steamboat Willie

Those winches are surprising - it looks like no-one has been onboard that thing since before self tailers were invented.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ishmael said:
5 hours ago, Capt. Andy said:

In fair condition and it's FREE! It's a sailboat (He thinks).

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/d/woodinville-free-boat-made-in-sweden/7392726062.html

That's some quality firewood for free.

It's well seasoned.

IMHO that was a sailboat that somebody decided to drag home and refit, and ended up taking it apart without ever putting it back together, not a homebuilt that is "85% complete."

FB- Doug

2 minutes ago, bmiller said:

I'm thinking their ad for a nice boat could have done without this photo.

Probably pitching to Europeans. It doesn't offend me. Does it offend you?

55 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Probably pitching to Europeans. It doesn't offend me. Does it offend you?

Ha! I've never been offended in my life. Just thinking from a purely marketing perspective.

I’ll never understand you guys.   Stop making mountains outta mole hills....

persoanlly I have a hard figuring out if she’s trying to make flap jacks, fried eggs, or if it’s just a mosquito bite 

There's a C27 on my dock in similar shape. The difference is that the owner of it is paying close to $7 grand in moorage to let it rot there.

5 minutes ago, Jclmontana said:

Details, details, DETAILS!

Maybe I’m too easily offended, maybe this actually is a kind-of an okay deal, but, to me, the guy is selling already chewed gum. That he spit on the floor.

It’s a bondage boat.  Can’t be explicit in a family forum.

00b0b_liSC4BUKjWOz_07K0ak_600x450.jpg

Personally, I think the guy should keep it and start a fleet.  I once had the urge to collect all the neglected Hobie 16’s in the area, to get enough parts for a small club. But it turns out that I don’t really have that many friends who sail.  Or who can be be induced to.  

7 hours ago, toddster said:
7 hours ago, Jclmontana said:

Details, details, DETAILS!

Maybe I’m too easily offended, maybe this actually is a kind-of an okay deal, but, to me, the guy is selling already chewed gum. That he spit on the floor.

It’s a bondage boat.  Can’t be explicit in a family forum.

00b0b_liSC4BUKjWOz_07K0ak_600x450.jpg

Personally, I think the guy should keep it and start a fleet.  I once had the urge to collect all the neglected Hobie 16’s in the area, to get enough parts for a small club. But it turns out that I don’t really have that many friends who sail.  Or who can be be induced to.  

Is that grass growing on the deck? And some dumbass(es) cut a shroud to get the mast down? And he's scavenged parts from it to get his other sailboat working? Sounds like an expensive lesson in what IS and what IS NOT a sailboat.

That thing is a chain-holder. Not a sailboat. My bet is that it would be expensive and difficult to turn it back into a sailboat, requiring many many hours of skilled labor and a lot more money than buying one in good condition.

A shame, because I've always liked these boats. They look cool and they sail pretty well.

FB- Doug

On 10/17/2021 at 11:37 AM, Marcjsmith said:

persoanlly I have a hard figuring out if she’s trying to make flap jacks, fried eggs, or if it’s just a mosquito bite 

Hi Marc,

Freudian typo there?

3 hours ago, Black Sox said:
On 10/17/2021 at 3:37 AM, Marcjsmith said:

Hi Marc,

Freudian typo there?

Whatever you do, don't show him French toast girl!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Hi Marc,

Freudian typo there?

Let it be known I've never been one to pass up a free meal...  should have read "hard time" 

But I do love me some french toast....

20 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

No tits and hairy pits?

Not a lot of sizzle there.

I admire the sprit made from a post stolen from a chain-link fence.  

All the photos look weirdly distorted.  

As @toddster says, quite the Frankenstein's Monster.

That one will be for sale for a while.