Mocking Ads on Craigslist

How does anyone let a possession as valuable as a Swan degrade to that state?

I remember when Swan built those motorsailers - they had a smaller one as well.

A failed attempt at broadening their market.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

No, no, you've got it all wrong. My comment about only doing one circumnavigation was an example of what people call "false modesty". Or "Irony". Look it up sometime. You're just another grifter

Posted Images

1 hour ago, nota said:

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/d/fort-lauderdale-50-ft-nautor-swan/7380835949.html

one k per foot 50ft swan for 50k

some assemblely required plus who knows how many boat bucks but they painted the topsides !!

are swans mock-able ?

Is that really a Swan? I didn't think they'd ever done a "Treasure Island" style aft cabin boat.

FB- Doug

10 hours ago, nota said:

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/d/fort-lauderdale-50-ft-nautor-swan/7380835949.html

some assemblely required plus who knows how many boat bucks but they painted the topsides !!

are swans mock-able ?

Death trap! Offset companionway just waiting to ensnare some unsuspecting sailors. 

12 minutes ago, Orion Jim said:

Death trap! Offset companionway just waiting to ensnare some unsuspecting sailors. 

But it’s not offset by much...  it would  make a seafaring couple very happy...if they don’t kill each other during the refit...

11 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

But it’s not offset by much...  it would  make a seafaring couple very happy...if they don’t kill each other during the refit...

Maybe a Dreaded Offset Companionway that is only offset a little bit isn't totally deadly, just inflicts hate & discontent & grievous bodily harm

FB- Doug

22 hours ago, nota said:

are swans mock-able ?

She is calling out for two wheels.

463185559_ScreenShot2021-10-31at9_25_44AM.thumb.png.6b35f15b509fdd31bed673b4468acacd.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

The one with the dark blue hull looks much better than the white one.

Still an odd design.  it's unusual to see a centre cockpit that far forward.

S&S designs IIRC - ideas drawn from Irving Johnson's Yankee, the Tartan TOCK and the like.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Crump's Brother said:

https://showlow.craigslist.org/bpo/d/pinedale-outboard-motor/7387867665.html

I used this motor for my 22' sailboat last fall on Roosevelt, worked great!"

00y0y_dtXeeZLihtUz_2521yM_600x450.jpg

It certainly seems to have minimal pitch, but you do have to admire the combination of lawn mower and outboard as a concept.

42 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

you do have to admire the combination of lawn mower and outboard as a concept.

Prior to my becoming an adult, small outboards pretty much were lawnmowers with a leg.

1 hour ago, Marcjsmith said:

Looks just like a mower blade for the prop

Well so much for those pesky crab pot lines and fishing lines.  Cut em clean the first time.  

Accidentally let a sheet slide overboard.  Heck, in just a minute or two there’ll be enough fibers to get out the old spinning wheel and get enough thread to sew a real “bed sheet.” :D

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

First time I've ever seen a steel hull with a fiberglass liner. :rolleyes:

https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/boa/d/abbotsford-restoration-opportunity/7387401035.html

00R0R_4ElbVx2sNhQz_0lI0t2_1200x900.jpg

It's a Alberg 29.   Fiberglass, of course.

Here's a good picture of the moss and bird shit:

00r0r_h7JXcz0cWN3z_0x20oM_600x450.jpg

Even if the price was "Free" it would cost you more to transport it to the water and then clean and fix it up than an Alberg 29 aready in sailing condition.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, slap said:

Even if the price was "Free" it would cost you more to transport it to the water and then clean and fix it up than an Alberg 29 aready in sailing condition.

I'm not so sure.  Looks like it's only 50km from the coast, so transport wouldn't be outrageously expensive if you were canny.  The interior looks quite clean, and the deck just needs a monster scrubbing.

So I'd say this may be a much better bet than a similar boat which has been exposed to the weather for years.    If this is your type of boat, it's worth a look.

Here's a winner.  I only have one question, with the ballasted centerboard removed, what keeps it upright as "a really slow power boat"

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/boa/d/gaithersburg-project-boat-for-sale-as/7401840760.html

45 minutes ago, cmonkey said:

Here's a winner.  I only have one question, with the ballasted centerboard removed, what keeps it upright as "a really slow power boat"

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/boa/d/gaithersburg-project-boat-for-sale-as/7401840760.html

Good balance and very small waves?  

"Restoration Opportunity" That is glorious. 

Is anyone else here morbidly fascinated by the America's Cup venue selection drama? The reason I ask is that the problem stems from a wide divergence in what various interests think this boat related property is worth. So the AC forum has more or less converged in spirit with our beloved Mocking Ads on Craigslist here, except what's on offer is an actual race. Is the AC really a Swan 72 with a bit of moss on the deck, or is it the pro sports equivalent of a very expensive Alberg 29? 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Is anyone else here morbidly fascinated by the America's Cup venue selection drama?

I am mostly resigned to the possibility that it may come to Cork, leading the Irish govt to blow lots of cash on a vast circus for people who already have huge money ... while our health service is in crisis and housing is also in crisis.

But the Taoiseach is a Cork man and the foreign minister is a wealthy Cork yachtie, so both are salivating at the opportunity to pour govt money into their city.   Pork for Cork.

59 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I am mostly resigned to the possibility that it may come to Cork, leading the Irish govt to blow lots of cash on a vast circus for people who already have huge money ... while our health service is in crisis and housing is also in crisis.

But the Taoiseach is a Cork man and the foreign minister is a wealthy Cork yachtie, so both are salivating at the opportunity to pour govt money into their city.   Pork for Cork.

If you do get the AC, make sure they throw in the trailers as part of the price.

7 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

The trailers the boats come on. As we know here in this thread, the trailers always end up being worth more than the boats.  

Sorry I was a bit slow there!  I thought you might be using the word "trailer" in the American sense, i.e. to mean what we in Ireland call a caravan.

But I wonder are even the trailers worth anything?  Given the size of the boats, they must be too wide for use on Irish roads without special permits, and the hull shapes they are adapted to are radically different to ordinary boats.   So I suspect that the trailers are just going to end up as yet more very expensive scrap.   But maybe I could grab one as the base for a large hut-on-wheels, a sorta big version of the shepherds hut craze in England 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Sorry I was a bit slow there!  I thought you might be using the word "trailer" in the American sense, i.e. to mean what we in Ireland call a caravan.

But I wonder are even the trailers worth anything?  Given the size of the boats, they must be too wide for use on Irish roads without special permits, and the hull shapes they are adapted to are radically different to ordinary boats.   So I suspect that the trailers are just going to end up as yet more very expensive scrap.   But maybe I could grab one as the base for a large hut-on-wheels, a sorta big version of the shepherds hut craze in England 

People are always looking for a way to transport their boats that they have purchased.  The realization is that at least here in the US, far more boats than trailers are sold. (At least in the midrange, 25 to 30 feet) So, the trailers that are available become somewhat of a premium quality.  

The other side, most boats get used a lot more than the trailers.  Plus good trailers are either made of galvanized steel or aluminum meaning they have a really good service and storage life.  

All this said when you need a trailer, You Need A Trailer!  

5 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

People are always looking for a way to transport their boats that they have purchased.  The realization is that at least here in the US, far more boats than trailers are sold. (At least in the midrange, 25 to 30 feet) So, the trailers that are available become somewhat of a premium quality.  

The other side, most boats get used a lot more than the trailers.  Plus good trailers are either made of galvanized steel or aluminum meaning they have a really good service and storage life.  

All this said when you need a trailer, You Need A Trailer!  

All true .. but also misses the core point that a trailer for an AC boat is useful for few other boats.

3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

All true .. but also misses the core point that a trailer for an AC boat is useful for few other boats.

A good boat trailer is only good for the boat it was built for.

They are easily modified/customized to properly fit other boats.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

A good boat trailer is only good for the boat it was built for.

They are easily modified/customized to properly fit other similar boats.

FIFY.

Yes, adaptation may be possible, but the bigger the difference between the initial target boat and the new target boat, the harder the task.   It is most effective for similar boats.

The AC foilers are radically different to most other boats, because they lack the ballast of most yachts and the heavy accommodation plus engine of most powerboats.  Anything else of similar size is likely to be much heavier than the AC boat.  How many other 75 footers weigh in under 7 tonnes?

On 11/9/2021 at 2:09 AM, TwoLegged said:

Fuck, no. Please God, no. Allah, no, Buddha, no.

Apart from anything else, we’d never hear the end of it from Cork people.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

Fuck, no. Please God, no. Allah, no, Buddha, no.

Apart from anything else, we’d never hear the end of it from Cork people.

I fear it's too late for that.   If Cork doesn't get the AC, the Cork people will spend the next seventeen thousand years telling everyone how they should have had the AC, but it was sabotaged by the Dubs.

• Like 2

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/d/la-habra-20-sailboat/7402993578.html00w0w_k4nJa4AhSgKz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

No tire kickers, no trades, we're not giving tours of the boat. unless you contact me saying that you are on your way with cash in hand, and a truck to tow it away... all other messages will be ignored. Have a great day.

We'll doesn't he sound like a joy to work with...  and by pink slip,  sure he means the title,  but I'll bet he only has title to one,  either the trailer or the boat, but not both.

41 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/d/la-habra-20-sailboat/7402993578.html00w0w_k4nJa4AhSgKz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

No tire kickers, no trades, we're not giving tours of the boat. unless you contact me saying that you are on your way with cash in hand, and a truck to tow it away... all other messages will be ignored. Have a great day.

We'll doesn't he sound like a joy to work with...  and by pink slip,  sure he means the title,  but I'll bet he only has title to one,  either the trailer or the boat, but not both.

Being a jerk about "no tire kickers" etc etc when trying to sell a Tuna 20 that "definitely needs some work" seems like a bad way to win friends and influence people, or collect two grand either.

- DSK

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Being a jerk about "no tire kickers" etc etc when trying to sell a Tuna 20 that "definitely needs some work" seems like a bad way to win friends and influence people, or collect two grand either.

- DSK

I don't know... doesn't look too bad, has a trailer, and he says OBO. 

I wouldn't write the ad in that way myself, but CL can be full of disappointment.

I would be willing to give him at least a call if I was in the market for a Santana 20.

44 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

Now this guy I would not give a call:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/d/alviso-free-boat-1970-coronado-27/7408029138.html

Registration is current... Seriously? WTF registers a POS like that?

image.png.cb89998d35f565302dc1cea6cc096610.png

I would love to see some interior photos. Fungi Fest?

image.png.7c58e082be15868f2d96d188f35ff3a3.png

3 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

I wouldn't write the ad in that way myself, but CL can be full of disappointment.

I would be willing to give him at least a call if I was in the market for a Santana 20.

Yeah, the problem with Craigslist is the buyers can be at least as flakey as the sellers, especially you get to very low price points. I think the major moral here is DON'T COLLECT HARD TO GET RID OF STUFF WHICH YOU LEAVE TO YOUR FAMILY TO DEAL WITH AFTER YOU PASS ON. 

24 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

I think the major moral here is DON'T COLLECT HARD TO GET RID OF STUFF WHICH YOU LEAVE TO YOUR FAMILY TO DEAL WITH AFTER YOU PASS ON. 

Jeezus - don't be like that. My estate executors are going to have a really hard time of it...

FKT

• Like 2
3 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

And he said, do NOT call unless you're on your way with cash in hand. The ad reads like he's not even sure what kind of boat it is.

- DSK

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

I could use the mast, but, don’t call unless you have cash on hand and a truck. 

Sitting on a trailer with bearings that have not been greased or even turned in 7 years which is sitting on tires that are sitting in the same position, in the sun for seven years.  This idiot is plain crazy!  

(Much less having to purchase a boat, sight unseen.)

3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:
4 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

I think the major moral here is DON'T COLLECT HARD TO GET RID OF STUFF WHICH YOU LEAVE TO YOUR FAMILY TO DEAL WITH AFTER YOU PASS ON. 

Jeezus - don't be like that. My estate executors are going to have a really hard time of it...

FKT

Hell yes - that's payback time for my kids. :D

• Like 4

I saw this on Jericho sailing center's notice board and thought it was pretty good. You see @Fah Kiew Tu, boat building isn't hard, you just have to get a crew of enthusiasts together to show you how to do it! NB the Bartender is a series of fine if slightly eccentric looking power boats https://bartenderboats.com/ which makes it particularly poignant as Jericho is sailing and human powered water craft only. I guess Royal Vancouver Yacht Club is not the place for this sort of thing.   I do note however, that the ad has been up for a year and all his little number tear offs are gone so maybe the project is well under way.

1834202584_FunnyBoatAdRedacted.jpg.54d6e78fc27cc7a53259e4cd9239ddbe.jpg

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

And he said, do NOT call unless you're on your way with cash in hand. The ad reads like he's not even sure what kind of boat it is.

- DSK

I find it hard to mock a Santana 20, even while the ad itself is ridiculous at face value. I read this stuff like traffic signs: 50 mph means really don't go much faster than 60.

He provides an opening and a warning: He doesn't want to deal with the whining about tires, bearings, the dirt, the tear in the jib, etc. He does indeed appear to know little about the boat. Call him in a month and I think you can make a deal.

1 hour ago, Foiling Optimist said:

I saw this on Jericho sailing center's notice board and thought it was pretty good. You see @Fah Kiew Tu, boat building isn't hard, you just have to get a crew of enthusiasts together to show you how to do it! NB the Bartender is a series of fine if slightly eccentric looking power boats https://bartenderboats.com/ which makes it particularly poignant as Jericho is sailing and human powered water craft only. I guess Royal Vancouver Yacht Club is not the place for this sort of thing.   I do note however, that the ad has been up for a year and all his little number tear offs are gone so maybe the project is well under way.

I hope he succeeds! I would have helped.

On 11/16/2021 at 6:02 PM, Foiling Optimist said:

I saw this on Jericho sailing center's notice board and thought it was pretty good. You see @Fah Kiew Tu, boat building isn't hard, you just have to get a crew of enthusiasts together to show you how to do it!

Don't encourage me, finding a replacement for my beloved GF would be harder than building another boat.

I know how to do it, already did it once. I know from that I need a couple of people next time to help with the welding just to get it done, then maybe the fitout. And NOT make YouTube vids, Instagram or any other social media groveling for attention/money by all parties involved.

No desire to spend another 8 years part time on a project when I can just sail the one I have. Just came ashore from my baby and am quite happy with her, just a *few* improvements would be nice for my use-case.

But I like building things... and some projects are about done, leaving far too much free thinking time.

FKT

• Like 2
On 11/16/2021 at 1:02 AM, Foiling Optimist said:

it looks like he wrote the note AFTER he pinned the paper to the cork board!

On 11/15/2021 at 8:27 AM, AnotherSailor said:

I think I'd call this guy first!

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/boa/d/port-hueneme-santana-20/7395720476.html

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

If the booze didn't make me want to puke the upholstery would.

Its trying to be tiki style like a Trader Vic.

Just now, Ishmael said:

It's a pretty retched collection. All the liquor that I can see is pukefest special. Is the owner 15?

When I was 15 attending/hosting BYOB pukefests, we'd pour all those bottles into a giant tub, add two cans of Hawaiian Punch and a 2L ginger ale for fizz, call it a Hairy Buffalo and end up banging a French Horn player in her basement closet.

I'm told they were the best years of our lives.

• Like 2
Just now, Diarmuid said:

I'm told they were the best years of our lives.

I never understood why people say that - except for those pathetic souls who had their life peak in high school like the head cheerleaders and football quarterbacks.

I doubt you could pay me enough to relive adolescence.

• Like 3

I’m afraid I don’t recognize any of those bottles, but when I grew up we had (and still have) the worst distiller of cheap rotgut in the West, right in town.  Not far from the marina and (coincidentally?) right next to the sewage treatment plant.  Only kids, bums, and cowboys go near it.  You get the hangover before you get drunk.  Seriously, you have to first get drunk on some less desperately-cheap booze before you can get this stuff within a foot of your face.  You know you’ve walked into a real low-end dive when they’ve got “Monarch” and “HRD” brands openly displayed openly behind the bar.  In another amazing coincidence, the Sheriff usually asks the Liquor Control Board to close down those particular bars.  

• Like 1

I see Disaronno and Cointreau in the front row, and everything else there seems to be the same sort of sweet liqueurs. Cointreau isn't too bad, but some of those look like they could trigger projectile vomiting from twelve feet away.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, toddster said:

I’m afraid I don’t recognize any of those bottles, but when I grew up we had (and still have) the worst distiller of cheap rotgut in the West, right in town.  Not far from the marina and (coincidentally?) right next to the sewage treatment plant.  Only kids, bums, and cowboys go near it.  You get the hangover before you get drunk.  Seriously, you have to first get drunk on some less desperately-cheap booze before you can get this stuff within a foot of your face.  You know you’ve walked into a real low-end dive when they’ve got “Monarch” and “HRD” brands openly displayed openly behind the bar.  In another amazing coincidence, the Sheriff usually asks the Liquor Control Board to close down those particular bars.  

Yet Pendleton Canadian Whiskey, which is pretty good, is bottled at HRD!

6 hours ago, Diarmuid said:
6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I doubt you could pay me enough to relive adolescence.

No money would suffice. The sole reason I would ever attend a high school reunion is to twist the detonator handle.

Dang, that's a really dark view, bro.

Hopefully there were some good times, too. A pet?

- DSK

8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

but some of those look like they could trigger projectile vomiting from twelve feet away.

I grew up down the street from Joaquin’s liquor factory in Philadelphia. One of the few places in our neighborhood that wasn’t robbed. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Dang, that's a really dark view, bro.

Hopefully there were some good times, too. A pet?

- DSK

Upmarket suburban high schools are dark places. I wasn't less happy than most. Didn't die of anorexia, didn't overdose on heroin, didn't actually shoot myself in the head -- all of which happened to friends. If we are playing Silver Linings, I am (in adulthood) untroubled by the faintest pangs of nostalgia, which I hear is like homesickness, which apparently exists. ;) Xxxxxx Academy was strong variolation against morbus sentimentalis.

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I see Disaronno and Cointreau in the front row, and everything else there seems to be the same sort of sweet liqueurs. Cointreau isn't too bad, but some of those look like they could trigger projectile vomiting from twelve feet away.

They're good for sweetening coffee.

16 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:
3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Dang, that's a really dark view, bro.   ...

Upmarket suburban high schools are dark places. I wasn't less happy than most. Didn't die of anorexia, didn't overdose on heroin, didn't actually shoot myself in the head -- all of which happened to friends. If we are playing Silver Linings, I am (in adulthood) untroubled by the faintest pangs of nostalgia, which I hear is like homesickness, which apparently exists. ;) Xxxxxx Academy was strong variolation against morbus sentimentalis.

Ah so, this is true. Not very sentimental myself, I have never been to any reunion of the school(s) I attended. There are some friends from that era I've kept in touch with, no need to re-unite with them and no desire to meet any of the others.

- DSK

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Yet Pendleton Canadian Whiskey, which is pretty good, is bottled at HRD!

That is just Canadian Club imported and re-labeled.  Which, as I understand, is the case for most of “their” other “top shelf” brands.  

19 hours ago, toddster said:

this stuff?

Monarch Vodka Plastic | Total Wine & More