Mocking Ads on Craigslist

I'd need to build a trebuchet that can handle 50lbs of cow manure before shooting my offer.

Gave me a coughing fit! :lol:

Here is a Cowmaran. I thought Tom might call this an impostor. Abbotsford, the new Surrey.

http://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/boa/5888181246.html

00l0l_7MlhHZgYJ71_600x450.jpg

No wonder it was only used a couple of times and then "stored".

You 'spose he had to patent the design to stave off imposters?

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Posted Images

This makes a Brentboat look like a sensible option.

$90K for a rusty hulk full of trash. The price is listed twice so it's not a typo. I particularly like the "can be set up for outboard" option - on a 50' steel boat. :rolleyes:

I'm sure their phone will be ringing off the hook.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/boa/5883689541.html

Way up the Fraser - the boat graveyard of Vancouver. That thing is miles from Shelter Island - the boulevard of broken dreams but at least it's a real boatyard. The place that thing is (Queensborough) is, as Hobot said, just a garbage dump.

It would be fascinating to hear the reasoning for the $90K price.

It makes slightly more sense than a big, pointless, $100,000 hole in the ground. But is less amusing.

Not really - that steel hulk will continue to absorb money no matter what - even if it's only storage charges.

The holes costs stop when the digging stops.

A hole in the ground won't crush anyones dreams either.

Anybody got any idea WTF this guy is talking about

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/boa/5891866922.html

Sailboat without skin

I can believe that it "needs to go" whatever it is.

FB- Doug

I asked the guy for pics. Its a foamy

If you buy it, I've got a spare sail rig for that exact boat in my garage. $5 and it's yours. Pick up only!

It's 50K already now, Race to the bottom.

Pretty fast race too.

I have to say that the steel work on that hulk looks like it was well done. Those chine lines etc. are much more fair and clean than the typical local steel build.

Someone knew what they were doing at the beginning.

It's 50K already now, Race to the bottom.

Pretty fast race too.

I have to say that the steel work on that hulk looks like it was well done. Those chine lines etc. are much more fair and clean than the typical local steel build.

Someone knew what they were doing at the beginning.

Think it's at all salvageable? Wait until price hits 2k maybe?

How about this crazy "Catamaran" http://up.craigslist.org/boa/5832859491.html

Ugly as sin, I say.

00303_4qa4joCGK2H_600x450.jpg

Looks like a lady's shoe fashion.

I worked in a woman's shoe warehouse for 2 months in Vancouver, and this is better looking then some of the stuff I've seen there

They can be brilliant investments as long as you have an accounting technique that allows for the all important PROCE, the Psychic Return on Capital Employed.

This is calculated using an opaque system known only to yacht owners using advanced modelling techniques such as WETDWI (What Else To Do With It).

Negative return is what happens when the boat turns on you, you never complete it after 20 years, or it rots from one end as you're building it from the other.

There's a team of Vampire Squids working on the algorithms as I write. We'll keep you posted - but you'll have to attend one of our (surprisingly affordable) seminars to get the full story.

(signed)

Mr. Ed, on behalf of

Talking Horse Investments llc

All investments carry a certain level of risk. Your wife may leave you, your boss might read your rambling posts on sailing sites, you might move to Comox. Please don't take professional advice.

This.

That starfighter thing is about the closest thing I have seen to one of my all time favorite boats, an 8' speedboat we dubbed Kinetic Energy. It was made from a mold so there must be (or must have been) others like it but I have never seen one.

When we first put my old 9.9 hp on it, we used surgical tubing for a steering linkage and Vise Grips for a wheel. The ride always ended the same way: tubing popped off, boat went into full power tight turn, driver scrambled to reach back and grab the tiller to throttle down before flipping. That's the kind of thing teenagers find entertaining.

It could also be a bass boat, or a ski boat, or the crew coach's wake-free launch.

But wait! Here is a nice example of stream of consciousness style, generous use of the comma, and a sharp eye for value:

I have a Sunfish/ some one cut the top deck off,,, has the stainless rail/around ,, has the self bailor,,, also have one boom,,, and one boom broken,,,which can be repaired,, also the brass mast boom bracett,,, a tattered sail,, would take $50 to clean out Sunfish stuff,,
also have LOTS boat hardwear,, lites,, led lites,, cleats, anchors line,,
well I had gotten junk boats and stripped the good stuff,, sail boats also,,
Have a Macgregor 23' I'm repairing,, also most dunn,, am willing to sell,,, on trailor,, swing keel, great sails,, have extra sails too,,
5 miles east of Beaufort on hwy 70

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/5866860191.html

While perusing the Eastern NC listings, I came across this Phil Bolger 45' Sharpie for $18,000. At first, I thought it was mock-worthy, but I then became intrigued. I subsequently found an Ebay listing for the same boat. While the sales fluff is a little silly, and the color selection has that certain something that says, "A Wooden Boat Club member built me over a 10-year period in his garage," I could see whiling away several weeks in the Florida Keys and a few gallons of rum on something like this. At the end, you could donate it to a charitable organization and deduct the $44,000 appraised value. I would keep the Tiki masks though.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/5857836404.html

The Ebay link has better pics. As you can see in the last shot, the helm station has all nautical noisemakers at your fingertips.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Bolger-Advanced-Sharpie-45-/172228030523?nma=true&si=CK2wySye92c63Y8JCeIH2Dbd%252B58%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

post-54228-0-30369300-1480785942_thumb.jpg

post-54228-0-31258000-1480785951_thumb.jpg

post-54228-0-86642200-1480785963_thumb.jpg

post-54228-0-08209200-1480786154_thumb.jpg

The first thing I'd do is take out my tape measure and find out how long it is. The boat it brings to mind was Loose Moose which was 39 feet long. I don't have a clear memory of a 45-footer, though PCB may well have designed one,

Loose Moose was designed for the canals of France with a secondary capability of a trans-Atlantic crossing. Or maybe the secondary use was as a houseboat, and the ocean crossing was tertiary. At any rate, it served those functions until it was destroyed by lightning.

I had thought that more than two of the 39-footers had been built. One was built by as professional shop, but the owner didn't like it much when it was done. Too dark inside, and not enough view out, he said. He also did not like the layout which was governed by the long, narrow hull. There was also a 29-footer of which several have been built. I think all these boats with a lot of plywood structure require an owner who is watchful against deterioration and skillful at maintenance and repairs.

Sharpies should have the knuckle at the bow immersed.

That's a minority opinion.

The majority opinion, from Chapelle to Kirby, is for the stem to be slightly above water. Bolger maintained that having the bow well out of the water led to better flow lines and less drag. Submerging the stem leads to high drag and bad steering.

Sharpies should have the knuckle at the bow immersed.

That's a minority opinion.

The majority opinion, from Chapelle to Kirby, is for the stem to be slightly above water. Bolger maintained that having the bow well out of the water led to better flow lines and less drag. Submerging the stem leads to high drag and bad steering.

Bolgers sharpies are inferior. Look at the old designs...Monre, Herreshoff, the New Haven boats...they all had the knuckle slightly immersed. The correct building technique was to not put any curvature on the side boards until 2/3 the way aft. The moderate flare in the topsides generates the correct rocker.

26799549.jpg

BTW, I was going to add, by way of explanation and not in defense, that Bolger wrote about several boats that he brought the ends up out of the water in order to shorten the waterline with the intent of making the boat quicker to turn, and to reduce wetted surface in light air. Whether that was his thinking it the case of the boat on CL, I don't know.

Exactly. Look at the knuckle, look at the knuckle on the Bolger sharpie above. Bolger has it wrong.

BTW, I was going to add, by way of explanation and not in defense, that Bolger wrote about several boats that he brought the ends up out of the water in order to shorten the waterline with the intent of making the boat quicker to turn, and to reduce wetted surface in light air. Whether that was his thinking it the case of the boat on CL, I don't know.

No, Bolger didn't get it wrong, he had other priorities and his sharpies sail just fine.

The increased rocker is mostly to keep the curve of the bottom matching (or at least coming closer) to the curve of the sides. With less rocker, the sides are pushing water out and the bottom is not pushing the water down, so flow eddies downward around the chine. I've seen this happening with Lightnings and I suspect that's one reason why they steer funny (although Lightnings are plenty fast, including in light air). He explained this a couple of times in his books, and his sharpies evolved as he studied their sailing characteristics. One great thing about Bolger's designs and writing is that he was very candid about what worked and what didn't.

It also does make the boats easier to steer, it probably also reduces wetted surface, and it's said to make them better in chop (i havne't observed this myself) because the bow & stern don't lift as much when the boat heels, and the boat present a better V-section.

I've only sailed a couple of Bolger sharpies and I thought they sailed great. The only Egret I've sailed was rather heavy by comparison, and crudely enough rigged that it wouldn't be fair to compare her. But it wouldn't surprise me if a Bolger sharpie of comparable size could sail rings around her. His Black Skimmer design flies!

FB- Doug

This was on a local area Facebook buy/sell group.

Bayliner voat i belive its a year 2000 and trailor

$2,000
North Port, FL (34288)

Thos bayliner is a good boat will geg ya out on the water nicely is cheap because i started remodeling it put new pllor in and starrds doibg panels but been so busy havent finished but can still go on water besides all u fishibg boys knowvit sint gotta be pretty to catch a boat just have to run snd boy does it...has seat up front 2 by drive and can fit 3 to 4 in back and as many as u want fo drag their foot with rope behind lol but seriously good boat asking 2000 obo or even partial trade and cash never hurts to ask. Ca)l or twxt me at 941-

old-binliner.jpg

This bayliner is a good boat, will get you out on the water nicely. It is cheap because i started remodelling it. I put a new floor in and started doing panels but I have been so busy, I havent finished. Can still go on water & besides all you fisherman know it aint got to be pretty to catch fish, a boat just has to run and boy does it. It has 2 seats up front to drive and can fit 3 to 4 in the back and as many as u want if they wish fo drag their foot with rope behind lol

But seriously good boat, asking 2000 obo or even partial trade and cash.

It's AS IF he couldn't find the correct keys on the keyboard. Impressed by the correct use of word their.

This bayliner is a good boat, will get you out on the water nicely. It is cheap because i started remodelling it. I put a new floor in and started doing panels but I have been so busy, I havent finished. Can still go on water & besides all you fisherman know it aint got to be pretty to catch fish, a boat just has to run and boy does it. It has 2 seats up front to drive and can fit 3 to 4 in the back and as many as u want if they wish fo drag their foot with rope behind lol

But seriously good boat, asking 2000 obo or even partial trade and cash.

It's AS IF he couldn't find the correct keys on the keyboard. Impressed by the correct use of word their.

I see you speak fluent bogan scanas.

May the Force be With You. Or Something. http://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/boa/5813629206.html

00j0j_3Gq8rWXBOFx_600x450.jpg

corellianfightercopy.png

From the home of the annual bathtub race.

They like weird shit in Nanaimo.

Nanaimo is the navel of Vancouver Island weirdness, followed closely by Vancouver.

With due respect with my friend Dash34 I think it's the water! But then again it's not just Nannymo. As I said may times about PHRF in the region.There is BC Sailing PHRF, PHRF-NW and the island that seems to beat to a different drummer. Yes it's supposed to be PHRF-NW but?

But again I've had good time visiting Surrey-by-the sea and by accident arrived at NYC when cruising at Bath time!

post-1185-0-78224400-1480971918_thumb.jpg

post-1185-0-27931800-1480972041_thumb.jpg

While perusing the Eastern NC listings, I came across this Phil Bolger 45' Sharpie for $18,000. At first, I thought it was mock-worthy, but I then became intrigued. I subsequently found an Ebay listing for the same boat. While the sales fluff is a little silly, and the color selection has that certain something that says, "A Wooden Boat Club member built me over a 10-year period in his garage," I could see whiling away several weeks in the Florida Keys and a few gallons of rum on something like this. At the end, you could donate it to a charitable organization and deduct the $44,000 appraised value. I would keep the Tiki masks though.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/5857836404.html

The Ebay link has better pics. As you can see in the last shot, the helm station has all nautical noisemakers at your fingertips.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Bolger-Advanced-Sharpie-45-/172228030523?nma=true&si=CK2wySye92c63Y8JCeIH2Dbd%252B58%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

attachicon.gifbolger1.jpg

attachicon.gifbolger2.jpg

attachicon.gifbolger3.jpg

attachicon.gifbolger4.jpg

I actually like this boat, I could see myself owning one to explore shallow areas of interest.

The first thing I'd do is take out my tape measure and find out how long it is. The boat it brings to mind was Loose Moose which was 39 feet long. I don't have a clear memory of a 45-footer, though PCB may well have designed one,

Loose Moose was designed for the canals of France with a secondary capability of a trans-Atlantic crossing. Or maybe the secondary use was as a houseboat, and the ocean crossing was tertiary. At any rate, it served those functions until it was destroyed by lightning.

I had thought that more than two of the 39-footers had been built. One was built by as professional shop, but the owner didn't like it much when it was done. Too dark inside, and not enough view out, he said. He also did not like the layout which was governed by the long, narrow hull. There was also a 29-footer of which several have been built. I think all these boats with a lot of plywood structure require an owner who is watchful against deterioration and skillful at maintenance and repairs.

Looks like an AS 39 with a pointy nose scabbed on...ummm about 6 feet?

The Jack Holt Tigertorch 38.

Had a severe dismasting on the hard, it appears. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burpengary/sail-boats/yacht/1131878643

$_20.JPG

I seem to remember someone admonishing me for suggesting hotrod could have made a stronger boat with west system paper mache, "no cardboard derivatives !", look at that house.

He even spelt his suburb incorrectly "Burperngary", it's "Burpengary". As if it isn't a bad enough name.

The Jack Holt Tigertorch 38.

Had a severe dismasting on the hard, it appears. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burpengary/sail-boats/yacht/1131878643

$_20.JPG

I seem to remember someone admonishing me for suggesting hotrod could have made a stronger boat with west system paper mache, "no cardboard derivatives !", look at that house.

He even spelt his suburb incorrectly "Burperngary", it's "Burpengary". As if it isn't a bad enough name.

Hmmm. The bottom fell off.

I admire the fact that the lifelines are so strong that the stanchions can hang off them.

Oh wait, admiration goes in a different thread... sorry...

FB- Doug

Proteus needs to see the future and morph into a more desirable creature. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/townsville/sail-boats/bilge-keel-motorsail/1132211080

$_20.JPG

Proteus syndrome is a rare condition characterized by overgrowth of the bones, skin, and other tissues. Organs and tissues affected by the disease grow out of proportion to the rest of the body. The overgrowth is usually asymmetric, which means it affects the right and left sides of the body differently.

Why only have bowel movements with your loved one only in the v berth when you could share while she is in the saloon, galley or even helming?

post-72500-0-77281300-1481299358_thumb.jpg

Comfortable seating for her also while attending the show.

post-72500-0-68614700-1481299471_thumb.jpg

post-72500-0-58317400-1481299609_thumb.jpg

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mount-louisa/sail-boats/griffin-bros-shoal-draft-keel/1102384958

Why only have bowel movements with your loved one only in the v berth when you could share while she is in the saloon, galley or even helming?

attachicon.gif$_20-5.JPG

Apparently there is a market for the social toilet.

Most expensive (per square foot) new "micro apartment" in Seattle:

-33e3d39c612737ac.jpg

(That's it... that's the whole apartment.)

Then there was the small house that I once rented in Washington, at the head of a T intersection. If the bathroom door was open, and the front door was on the screen, you could sit on the throne and wave to all of your neighbors on the street.

Come to think of it, when I was a kid, two-hole outhouses were pretty common in the orchards. We had two of them. Can't recall ever going in company, except maybe when I was so young that Dad had to help.

Do "businessman's" hotels still put telephone extensions by the toilet? Always seemed like a bad idea to me, due to potential sound effects.

attachicon.gif$_20-5.JPG

Comfortable seating for her also while attending the show.

attachicon.gif$_20-4.JPG

attachicon.gif$_20-6.JPG

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mount-louisa/sail-boats/griffin-bros-shoal-draft-keel/1102384958

The grey fabric liner has got to be full of moldy bad stuff.

Proteus needs to see the future and morph into a more desirable creature. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/townsville/sail-boats/bilge-keel-motorsail/1132211080

$_20.JPG

Proteus syndrome is a rare condition characterized by overgrowth of the bones, skin, and other tissues. Organs and tissues affected by the disease grow out of proportion to the rest of the body. The overgrowth is usually asymmetric, which means it affects the right and left sides of the body differently.

It's a hybrid boat. The length is in feet and the beam is in meters.

Does it have Withworth fasteners?

On.*

*Do ton let dyslexia hold you bakc.

A public service message from Whitworth Fasteners UK inc., a division of Lucas. "Making mechanics buy new wrenches for over a century."

There must be something wrong with it, that's a huge reduction.

Did you look at the pics?

They either had zero idea of its "value" or were trolling for a sucker.

An awful lot of people think a part finished boat is worth what they spent on it.

Built by a mechanical engineer, so you know it's good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viking-Dragon-Ship-39-ft-long-unique-outrageous-sailboat-party-boat-/132032404662

s-l1600.jpg

Outrageous Ship!!! "The Dragon Lady" is a 39 ft long vessel made by joining together two 18 ft Starcraft hulls back to back. The two hulls are mounted on a 1 ft high by 30 ft long I beam. There are two 40 hp Evinrude outboard motors mounted amidships on the forward hull. The motors are fixed and do not steer. Steering is by changing motor speeds and a rudder in the rear. Under the floor is completely filled with foam for emergency flotation. The sail has a design based on what is called a 'Viking Compass'. The hulls have been painted with a rocker grainer to give a wood grain appearance. The dragon head's eyes light up and there are tubes to set up a system to have smoke come out of the nostrils. The dragon head is made of gorilla glue and sawdust mixed with oil based paint on a wooden base. I also have a dragon head hood ornament that shows no wear from rain and snow at 70mph.
This ship will blow minds anywhere she is in the water: boat parades, water festivals, party boat etc. She is a long, narrow, open vessel which immediately gives you the feeling of being in a Viking Ship 1000 years ago.
ALSO she has an incredible advertising value. If you have any kind of business this boat will attract attention and leave a lasting impression on people. I have a video clip of the ship on the trailer (which is included in the sale).
I am happy to answer any questions you may have. I have not yet gotten her in the water as I finished the hull painting too late in the fall. Both hulls are completely intact so flotation is not an issue. I have a NYS boat registration. I am a mechanical engineer and a machinist so I feel I have done an excellent job of building this ship. Sold as is where is.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/bpd/5911358042.html

No price in the ad? I guess if you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it.

00s0s_ezn41BnUJ0H_600x450.jpg

There's no price because it's a poem, not an ad.

Heres a tug we sunk a few years ago.

Put a new motor in it.

Never went back in the water.

Close to a haiku. In fact, if I could rewrite it a bit:

Here's a tug we sunk

Put a new motor in it.

Never relaunched

The accompanying photos are great too. Older Canadian readers may recall Roloff Beny's somehow irritating coffee table book, "To Everyhing There is a Season"

The Dragon sure does get the gold so far.

Could there be a secret society out there, whose members are producing CL adds for the sole purpose of competing on this thread? I am starting to wonder...

While I've had nothing to add, I would like to say that the mock-worthy quality of these last many entries has been excellent and entertaining. I'm still going to have my trash hauled to the dump, but for those who would put a crazy price on their garbage and try to sell it, we will mock your efforts here, because it's really interesting.