Mocking Ads on Craigslist

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

No, no, you've got it all wrong. My comment about only doing one circumnavigation was an example of what people call "false modesty". Or "Irony". Look it up sometime. You're just another grifter

Posted Images

Some mockworthy last minute nautical gifts?? ;) Happy Solistice and time with family for all.

Sailboat painting, two boats racing with fenders hanging down.Yuck.

Original oil painting,large, custom fram

Might be the best of the lot, but who actually drinks Bud.

Budweiser sailboat neon sign

Might make a club trophy or cotter pin holder

*SALE* Murano Glass Sailboat (Large)

If this doesn't mix up history for your kid....

LEGO PIRATES - Shipwreck Defense 70409

Give your friend a steel origami

Sail Boat Sculpture

IDK that IOR affected ships that far back

Hand carved wooden sailboat/ship needing TLC☺

This one comes with 2 Mahi Mahi you can hang from the rig.

Playmobil Pirate Raft (5780)

Remind you of the 80's, when rainbows meant a different thing or maybe depth colours on an old Standard Horizon plotter.

Limited Ed Sailboat Art

00f0f_9vpaJWjI7TI_600x450.jpg

57065828_934.jpg

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/32-ft-racercruiser_28662579

hello there ! just about to move to a blue water going sailboat project , need money quite soon get the project going so real good sailboat easy to sail real good for learning ,1988 32 ft mahagony hull over fiberglass 9 ft wide , plywood deck over fiberglass , fractional sloop racing rig , in-boom main reefing ,7 winch , streering wheel , main sail jib and , fiberglass finish washroom toilette also bilge pump for shower , diesel heat dickinson , volvo penta 9 hp 1cyl engine inboard running and no smoke but have a control problem at the level , solar panel , a few thing like that 20lbs anchor whit chain and rope i been anchor for the last year travel in a gulf island oak bay to nanaimo , sailling every 2-3 day , real great live a board , i will be happy to answer every question or even for a sail ride anchor at ganges right now and for a few while i guest
must go she need a new home she really great live aborad sailbaot warm and well isolated

Say what?

57065828_934.jpg

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/32-ft-racercruiser_28662579

hello there ! just about to move to a blue water going sailboat project , need money quite soon get the project going so real good sailboat easy to sail real good for learning ,1988 32 ft mahagony hull over fiberglass 9 ft wide , plywood deck over fiberglass , fractional sloop racing rig , in-boom main reefing ,7 winch , streering wheel , main sail jib and , fiberglass finish washroom toilette also bilge pump for shower , diesel heat dickinson , volvo penta 9 hp 1cyl engine inboard running and no smoke but have a control problem at the level , solar panel , a few thing like that 20lbs anchor whit chain and rope i been anchor for the last year travel in a gulf island oak bay to nanaimo , sailling every 2-3 day , real great live a board , i will be happy to answer every question or even for a sail ride anchor at ganges right now and for a few while i guest

must go she need a new home she really great live aborad sailbaot warm and well isolated

Say what?

Looks to me that English isn't fheir primary language, and they aren't a very experienced sailor. Not much pics/info on the actual boat, but then $4000 is a low price for a 32'er. Be wanting an expert to look over that wood construction, esp since its been glassed.

Geez, I wish I'd "made a documentary" about building my house! Credit in the video would have been so much easier than paying cash for things.

Love the website. They must have spent all of 90 seconds filling in the menu titles on a blank template, full of Lorem Ipsum, then advertising it!

Probably. Unless they find another slacker wanna-be filmmaker who will do the job for a bunk. The problem being that someone, somehow has to ultimately pay the bills.

During the last couple of years, I've had a whole string of 20-something tenants, in some family property. They were all constantly spinning various sorts of schemes like this one. They only needed the use of my property and equipment, in exchange for some intangibles. I feel like I need to print up some T-shirts that say "I am not your parents!"

There's usually an ad in the local CL and clones looking for a free offshore boat.

They generously offer to save you your moorage and maintenance costs.

I suspect the "film maker" is one of them.

There's usually an ad in the local CL and clones looking for a free offshore boat.

They generously offer to save you your moorage and maintenance costs.

I suspect the "film maker" is one of them.

They don't even have a boat yet. They want a filmmaker to film them buying a boat, moving aboard, fixing it up. IOW, they want to star in their own reality show.

Here is one for D. Winter. Wanted: Volunteers for a documentary

I recall King Ineptune with a similar plea for help, only for a book.

Here's the important part, their from Surrey...... that's all you need to know....

(Wanted: Volunteers for a documentary (Surrey))

Here's the important part, their from Surrey...... that's all you need to know....

(Wanted: Volunteers for a documentary (Surrey))

And you thought the best Ganga in BC was in the Gulf Islands not Surrey cause I'm not sure what they are smoking?

Some mockworthy last minute nautical gifts?? ;) Happy Solistice and time with family for all.

Sailboat painting, two boats racing with fenders hanging down.Yuck.

Original oil painting,large, custom fram

Might be the best of the lot, but who actually drinks Bud.

Budweiser sailboat neon sign

Might make a club trophy or cotter pin holder

*SALE* Murano Glass Sailboat (Large)

If this doesn't mix up history for your kid....

LEGO PIRATES - Shipwreck Defense 70409

Give your friend a steel origami

Sail Boat Sculpture

IDK that IOR affected ships that far back

Hand carved wooden sailboat/ship needing TLC☺

This one comes with 2 Mahi Mahi you can hang from the rig.

Playmobil Pirate Raft (5780)

Remind you of the 80's, when rainbows meant a different thing or maybe depth colours on an old Standard Horizon plotter.

Limited Ed Sailboat Art

00f0f_9vpaJWjI7TI_600x450.jpg

I may be putting myself into a pigeon hole but I do drink Bud. Sorry, sorta.......no. I take that back.

As for this https://images.craigslist.org/00a0a_j41WhXRPh47_600x450.jpg

I had one for years. I don't know how it was acquired (I didn't buy it) but it was pretty.

Two guys and one girl. What could go wrong with a stable triangle?

(even if she is a blonde!!)

They have a grifting plan:

Our Plan

Our Mission: To move onto a sailboat, live 100% off the grid and off the sea and land, and to live on as little money per month as possible.

Food

Once moved onto our sailboat, well stock up on cheap bulk foods like oats and rice. Then well spend our days fishing, foraging, growing sprouts and other produce aboard. Work exchanges, use money from things we make and sell.

Water

Well catch and filter rainwater and seawater; fill up 2L water bottles at fast-food restaurants, mall bathrooms, public fountains. Perhaps a watermaker someday.

Electricity

Well get solar panels for the boat, possibly a wind turbine. Well use cafes and restaurants to charge up sometimes. Portable backpack solar panel. Hand-cranked blenders, wind-up radios. A small back-up generator.

Rent

When we buy our sailboat, well anchor out as much as possible, or find the cheapest marina we can find. Well couchsurf when were in cities for a few days. Work exchange (WWOOF, Workaway, HelpX, etc.).

Internet / Phones

Phone data (Wind Unlimited) while on the boat in Vancouver. At cafes and restaurants while under way. Perhaps satellite internet someday.

Transportation

Our boat and dinghy will be our main transportation. Then our bikes. And then public transit.

Medication

Michelle has ulcerative colitis, which used to cost us about $200/month, but now Mikes job benefits covers it. When we travel, well make sure to have extra money to last us at least a year.

How exactly do you use cafes and restaurants to charge up your boat?

Probably just their phones and laptops.

In addition to wanting free video, they also want free help fixing up their boat, and free sailing lessons. Doesn't sound like they intend to learn to DIY. Rimas part deaux. Want everything done for them so they don't have to put much effort into their lifestyle.

Well get solar panels for the boat, possibly a wind turbine. Well use cafes and restaurants to charge up sometimes. Portable backpack solar panel. Hand-cranked blenders, wind-up radios. A small back-up generator.

At least they have the blender part figured out. Don't go sailing without one.

OHMaaGOD...This one comes with a curtain, how appropriate. https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/5888757254.html

00P0P_2mxKqkzcUGk_600x450.jpg

Someone went to Home Depot.

-All New gate valve through hauls

The price looks pretty close to the retail cost of the listed upgrades. Apparently, someone hasn't learned the "dime on the dollar" rule for adding new stuff to old boats. I suspect some learning will happen before too long.

OHMaaGOD...This one comes with a curtain, how appropriate. https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/5888757254.html

00P0P_2mxKqkzcUGk_600x450.jpg

Someone went to Home Depot.

-All New gate valve through hauls

The price looks pretty close to the retail cost of the listed upgrades. Apparently, someone hasn't learned the "dime on the dollar" rule for adding new stuff to old boats. I suspect some learning will happen before too long.

Plus, if you're going to use Home Depot hardware on a boat, cast brass gate valves aren't the thing. The stainless ball valves, somewhat better.

That curtain? It's like putting a bag over your head. Not a bad idea, probably, but this boat is more of a two-bagger.

FB- Doug

Solves the whole bridge clearance issue - http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/5898747954.html

Must be a pin from inside the cabin, holding the ama arms from folding, another mystery from that boat.

I admire it, like a Hartley 16, stretched to a tri design. Those Hartley's were fast.

Apparently the ad is a real situation.

Liveaboard with cancer, trying to row himself to shore to get to his treatments and it's getting rough in the winter.

Apparently the ad is a real situation.

Liveaboard with cancer, trying to row himself to shore to get to his treatments and it's getting rough in the winter.

And one of the sad parts is that all those trips and treatments probably won't help much.

saw this gem...

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/5944255353.html

This is a Windrose 22. It belongs to a friend, and so I'm not overly sure of all details. She got the boat a few years back, but has never had it together and sailing.

She does believe that all major parts are there (mast, winches, cushions, rudder, etc) with two exceptions -- the boom is missing, and the sails are missing. The boom is easy to make (a 2x4 would literally work), but you would have to find second hand sails to fit.

As you can see in the pics, it had taken on rain and was sitting low in the water. A year or so ago, I pumped it dry, and haven't touched it since -- it clearly is not taking on seawater.

When I was inside pumping it out, everything looked sort of OK, all things considered.

It is a swing keel boat, and draws only a few inches with the keel up. The keel feels like it is going up and down -- a good thing.

She has the title, although she has never transferred it into her name. She will be able to provide the title to you.

There is no trailer, and there is no outboard. There is an outboard bracket, so if you have a motor you can motor it home. Otherwise, you'll need a tow. If you have a suitable trailer, there is a community ramp very close -- you could easily paddle there (and I would help). We do have paddles that could be used to move it.

The boat has been sitting for quite a while, so a few more weeks is no big deal. You could keep it there while you arrange transportation. But if it starts to look like you aren't taking it, that's a different story!

I am not about to say that this boat will shine again. But I think that with a bit of cleaning up over the winter, you could probably sail it this spring with minimal FINANCIAL investment. Lots of labor, for sure.

The place is off St. Margarets Road, which is right behind the Red Hot and Blue (the "windmill" restaurant) on RT 50.

There is an active Yahoo Group for this boat -- search for "Lost Laguna" (Laguna and Windrose are in some fashion related).

saw this gem...

This is a Windrose 22. It belongs to a friend, and so I'm not overly sure of all details. She got the boat a few years back, but has never had it together and sailing.

She does believe that all major parts are there (mast, winches, cushions, rudder, etc) with two exceptions -- the boom is missing, and the sails are missing. The boom is easy to make (a 2x4 would literally work), but you would have to find second hand sails to fit.

As you can see in the pics, it had taken on rain and was sitting low in the water. A year or so ago, I pumped it dry, and haven't touched it since -- it clearly is not taking on seawater.

When I was inside pumping it out, everything looked sort of OK, all things considered.

It is a swing keel boat, and draws only a few inches with the keel up. The keel feels like it is going up and down -- a good thing.

She has the title, although she has never transferred it into her name. She will be able to provide the title to you.

There is no trailer, and there is no outboard. There is an outboard bracket, so if you have a motor you can motor it home. Otherwise, you'll need a tow. If you have a suitable trailer, there is a community ramp very close -- you could easily paddle there (and I would help). We do have paddles that could be used to move it.

The boat has been sitting for quite a while, so a few more weeks is no big deal. You could keep it there while you arrange transportation. But if it starts to look like you aren't taking it, that's a different story!

I am not about to say that this boat will shine again. But I think that with a bit of cleaning up over the winter, you could probably sail it this spring with minimal FINANCIAL investment. Lots of labor, for sure.

The place is off St. Margarets Road, which is right behind the Red Hot and Blue (the "windmill" restaurant) on RT 50.

There is an active Yahoo Group for this boat -- search for "Lost Laguna" (Laguna and Windrose are in some fashion related).

No sails indicates the ''minimal financial investment" statement is false. Even a used main and jib is going to cost more than the boat is worth. And there's no trailer and no OB. They'll be lucky to give it away.

saw this gem...

No sails indicates the ''minimal financial investment" statement is false. Even a used main and jib is going to cost more than the boat is worth. And there's no trailer and no OB. They'll be lucky to give it away.

Well hell, if a 2x4 will work as a boom, then a couple of blue plastic tarps should suffice for the sails, right?

The boat is a slug anyway - PHRF is 40 sec. a mile slower than a San Juan 24 which can be had in decent shape for way less than the cost of repairing that Windrose.

Maybe free to a couple of 14 year olds to fix up to play with but otherwise?

The boat is a slug anyway - PHRF is 40 sec. a mile slower than a San Juan 24 which can be had in decent shape for way less than the cost of repairing that Windrose.

It's probably pretty similar in speed to a Cat 22. If it was in decent shape, it'd be fun to play around on for cheap fun. But fixed up and fitted out its a sub $1000 boat. Going to cost more than that to refit, as it needs EVERYTHING. Plus a fair amount of labor.

It's probably pretty similar in speed to a Cat 22. If it was in decent shape, it'd be fun to play around on for cheap fun. But fixed up and fitted out its a sub $1000 boat. Going to cost more than that to refit, as it needs EVERYTHING. Plus a fair YUGE amount of labor.

FIFY

The Windrose is a nice little boat, Jim Taylor design IIRC. Not speedsters but they sail pretty well and they are among the more practical-to-trailer boats in their size range.

In the absence of a working trailer, the value of the boat is a lot less. In the absence of so much else, the value of the boat is negative. This ad is basically "Hey somebody come get this trash out of my yard."

FB- Doug

I thought this was a N.G. Herreshoff at first, but then I saw it was a custom built. Nice lateen rig though. Too bad about the off center companion way. But it floats and it's only $350.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/5915267408.html

attachicon.gifcustom 26.jpg

attachicon.gifcustom 26b.jpg

That scum line looks like it might have had some trouble floating at some point.

I thought this was a N.G. Herreshoff at first, but then I saw it was a custom built. Nice lateen rig though. Too bad about the off center companion way. But it floats and it's only $350.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/5915267408.html

attachicon.gifcustom 26.jpg

attachicon.gifcustom 26b.jpg

That scum line looks like it might have had some trouble floating at some point.

He probably could have washed that off and asked $375.

Randomly punctuated and capitalized, Kafkaesque disrupted narrative:

"2003 37 foot custom sailboat completely rebuilt in great shape 4108 Perkins diesel 22 hours ready for live aboard or cruising very well very refrigerator freezer stove microwave double sink shower . Sleeps 6 interior was completely rebuilt 2013 hallout and rebuilt haul 2013. New rigging 2013 1200 pound winless. 20 amp wind Twenty amp generator five and a half foot draft 12 foot beam this is a big water boat capable of going anywhere. $12.500 OBO.

Dale.Three bank twenty app on Demand battery charger Ship to shore radio weather station .1200 pound Winless Dive platform Hot water heater full head with shower neads a little t.a.c. hasn't been taking out a 4 a couple of years"

Being from Saskatchewan, I had a look at the map, since I had never heard of "Youlton". Apparently the cartographers have never heard of it either.

Closest guess is "Yorkton", which he spells correctly in the body of the ad, so who knows where this shack is in reality.

Looks like an add-on porch that remains after a rotten single-wide was hauled off to the dump. (Don't ask me how I know.)

I've seen all kinds of ads from people who have given up the cruising dream and want to trade their aging project boat for some land. Now it's just a matter of managing expectations.

(... The other problem with little patches of hillbillly/ex-meth-lab land is that it usually comes with a big bill for back-taxes and code violations.).

Being from Saskatchewan, I had a look at the map, since I had never heard of "Youlton". Apparently the cartographers have never heard of it either.

Closest guess is "Yorkton", which he spells correctly in the body of the ad, so who knows where this shack is in reality.

searched koshman st and anderson avenue from the pic. it's in Theodore, half way between foam lake and yorkton ;>)

The Ft. Myers boat owner and the Theodore "cabin" owner are only $1100 apart. Maybe they should get together on a swap. If they were to negotiate it by email, I would love to read the transcript. Maybe one of you could take a stab at what it might be like? Here's a start:

Fort Myers: Hey i saw yur caben on line any ski in neer it

While I can't take credit for an original "find", this one taken from the "front page" needs to be recorded on this thread for the sake of being thorough.

And, yes, there is a separate thread on the main "Sailing Anarchy" forums.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/boa/5944401625.html

Looking at that cabin(?). Did you try some of the local reservations? Looks like it to me.

I assume the seller took a picture of the best sail on the boat. It's about 2' too long on the foot, and about 8' short on the hoist. Battens missing. That's his best dress? For $1000 or less he could find some used sails that fit and are reasonably presentable. It sure would make the boat more marketable.

I assume the seller took a picture of the best sail on the boat. It's about 2' too long on the foot, and about 8' short on the hoist. Battens missing. That's his best dress? For $1000 or less he could find some used sails that fit and are reasonably presentable. It sure would make the boat more marketable.

Cut off a bit off the foot and add it up top, a couple of paint stirrers in the batton pockets and your off to the races.

In fairness, that mainsail may have been fished from a trash can after being discarded.

I agree with RKoch. Not really a bad boat or price. But geez, that baggywrinkle!

Are we looking at the same boat?

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/5946882197.html

I think one could do one heck of a lot better for $11K ... that boat doesn't quite look like it's next stop is to become a garden shed, but it needs to be given for free to somebody who could sort it out. It won't quite be worth what they spend on it, but at least they won't start out over ten grand in the hole.

FB- Doug

I don't know what it is and would have lots of questions but if it was really built in 2003 and depending on what "rebuilt" in 2013 means and if it really has a Perkins 4108 w/only 22 hours, yeah, I'd say the price isn't crazy.

Worries me that it has sat for a couple of years but it might be an OK boat if you just got rid of the baggywrinkle thing and got a sail for it.

It's not far away. If they wanted to give it out for free I'd go get it. But I'm not rushing down there to buy it at that price, just saying he might sell it in that range.

Is that boat a Buchan 37? Looks very much like it and they have a good rep.

Not a Buchan 37 SJB. The transom is all wrong and the Buchan had more detail in the deck with higher windows than this boat. The transom seems to be more Petersonesque. Looks like more a Reliance 37 to me: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2299. Bob Perry would know but a vintage 1973? Don't think so. If it's "Custom" it might be "Stump the band" time.

In fairness, that mainsail may have been fished from a trash can after being discarded.

I agree with RKoch. Not really a bad boat or price. But geez, that baggywrinkle!

Are we looking at the same boat?

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/5946882197.html

I think one could do one heck of a lot better for $11K ... that boat doesn't quite look like it's next stop is to become a garden shed, but it needs to be given for free to somebody who could sort it out. It won't quite be worth what they spend on it, but at least they won't start out over ten grand in the hole.

FB- Doug

I always marvel at the randoM, spilleng'' punctuation; and cApatilization of these ads. Ya may waNt to put a bit more effOrt,, into your ad next timme if you want to sell the stupid thing.

By the way, Ishmael... nice avatar.

Not many people would recognize Tommy Douglas.

Must be time for a change.

Tommy Douglas eh? Our Bernie Sanders. But then again Bernie might become a Tory PM in Canada compared to some Republican wackos n the US.

https://www.facebook.com/brandon.weber.upw/photos/a.561005373961970.1073741826.526961900699651/1220443444684823/?type=3