Mocking Ads on Craigslist

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

No, no, you've got it all wrong. My comment about only doing one circumnavigation was an example of what people call "false modesty". Or "Irony". Look it up sometime. You're just another grifter

Posted Images

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/devonport/sail-boats/steel-project-yacht-35-foot-4k-neg-new-vetus-engine-gearbox-8k/1140981711

I'm thinking that this boat represents negative value for any purchaser.....

FKT

The hole in the keel is intriguing.

$_20.JPG

That's where the perspex goes for the underwater view ports. Or it's the largest, oddest shaped and stupid place for a thruster I've ever come across.

The hull looks like it's been welded up from diagonal strips of steel. That's the second one I've seen like that, the other was named PEGASUS and on the hard at Margate south of Hobart. Amazing amount of welding to get a stripy hull that was sort of round bilge. I thought the weld seams should have been painted black & the boat renamed ZEBRA. It too was for sale cheap.

FKT

Nice traveler. Are you supposed to quickly pass the car over the gap when you tack?

5626551_20160203065245245_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

Same sheeting arrangement as for a headsail; one on each side.

With a limit on how far you can sheet in before the car falls off the track. So you can't ever harden up.

Because everybody knows that gentlemen never go to windward.

Nice traveler. Are you supposed to quickly pass the car over the gap when you tack?

Same sheeting arrangement as for a headsail; one on each side.

With a limit on how far you can sheet in before the car falls off the track. So you can't ever harden up.

Because everybody knows that gentlemen never go to windward.

There's a nice Wichard snaphook that's worth a tenner . . .

Other than parking it in an old barn somewhere and spending ten years of your life bringing her back yourself, what would be the least costly route to getting her seaworthy and turning heads again? Let's say you picked her up for $100. Could you make it worthwhile without losing your childrens' inheritance?

She seems to be floating about a foot low, which is not a good sign. By the time you replace the ribs, the planking, the deck, the house, the stem, the transom, the interior, and the rig, you would be a broke and broken man.

Other than parking it in an old barn somewhere and spending ten years of your life bringing her back yourself, what would be the least costly route to getting her seaworthy and turning heads again? Let's say you picked her up for $100. Could you make it worthwhile without losing your childrens' inheritance?

Could you? No. But Ishmael, after his Richard Simmons workouts and boosted confidence in swimwear, could. But just give the seller his 4k or at least 2k and let Ish rebuild it without insulting the guy selling form health reasins. It'll work out better that way.

What's that phone pole laying on deck?

Mizzen mast?

The boom is short, and there appears to be chainplates aft. I'd say you're right...probably a ketch.

That was all I could think up too but it looks too large in diameter. Maybe he doesn't know mizzen sails are just decorative?

Cost over $3 million to produce? WTF?

It says it has a Perkins diesel, doesn't say anything about a shaft or prop however...

00s0s_aLYdnl8c0xh_1200x900.jpg

For the price, it's gotta have a retractable propulsion system, like the old DISPRO boats on the Muskoka lakes.

A modern equivalent: http://shipmotiongroup.com/products.product+The-RPS.page+1

RPS.Image-II.png

Is anyone able to figure out what it is?

It doesn't look IOR at all...perhaps a MORC Maxi? That would be my guess. $3 million to reproduce is about 10X or more exaggerated, as I assume you all know.

Boat is worth $8K or less w/o trailer. IDK trailer value...maybe $5-8K?

It says it has a Perkins diesel, doesn't say anything about a shaft or prop however...

Frers 38, was on the Great Lakes for a while. I sailed on it once in '91 and it was pretty rough even then. I'm guessing an early 80s build, IIRC, it came from Annapolis. It was an IOR design.

Edit: It was '81 when I sailed on it so the build had to be '77 or so.

Frers 38, was on the Great Lakes for a while. I sailed on it once in '91 and it was pretty rough even then. I'm guessing an early to mid 80s build, IIRC, it came from Annapolis.
Bingo. Just got a message from a friend that it sailed on Tampa Bay for a few years. Frers 38. IDK why the listing says 30'.

More Proof from BYC Mac Results 1996 (earliest posted on their site)

PHRF CLASS F COVE ISLAND COURSE - START #9 START TIME:13:20

FINISH TIME ELAPSED CORRECTED PLACE

SAIL NUMBER YACHT OWNER CLUB DESIGN LOA DIV CLS RATING D: H: M: S H: M: S H: M: S CLASS DIV

26226 Pendragon G. Thomas/ J. Trost BYC Contes 43 PHRF F 78 3:06:50 :02 65:30:02 56:52:02 1 32

23784 Hellion Dane Christy DYC C&C 43 PHRF F 72 3:06:52 :57 65:32:57 57:20:51 2 49

21728 Mystic Fred Wilhelm BYC Holland 40 PHRF F 78 3:07:28 :39 66:08:39 57:30:39 3 51

83123 Two Dogs Gary Hall NCYC Tripp 33 PHRF F 75 3:07:39 :46 66:19:46 57:54:43 4 68

USA 32611 Mirage Herb Wake MMYC Benet 42 PHRF F 78 3:07:57 :58 66:37:58 57:59:58 5 69

USA 42201 Experience Plus Jack W. Stehle BCYC Soverel 39 PHRF F 75 3:07:50 :49 66:30:49 58:05:46 6 76

5173 Aerie Timothy Skillman CSYC Ericks 46 PHRF F 69 3:07:26 :39 66:06:39 58:07:30 7 77

5558 Hellion Robert Coleman GIYC Soverel 39 PHRF F 72 3:08:23 :47 67:03:47 58:51:41 8 100

25416 Escapade II S. and S. Bremer PHYC J-105 34 PHRF F 75 3:09:04 :05 67:44:05 59:19:02 9 112

USA 34743 Daring Larry Soutar LSSC Frers 38 PHRF F 78 3:09:19 :47 67:59:47 60:21:47 10 130

40740 Brandilee Steve Nadeau GPYC X-402 40 PHRF F 78 3:10:00 :57 68:40:57 60:02:57 11 124

25621 Burden IV H. Burton Jones BYC Express 37 PHRF F 72 3:10:16 :03 68:56:03 60:43:57 12 131

40719 Fancy Free Gerald Poquette GBYC Soverel 39 PHRF F 72 : DNS : : : : : 15 135

USA 50418 Miss America John Ramsey CYC J-105 34 PHRF F 75 : DNF : : : : : 15 135

That back end doesn't look a bit IOR though. Perhaps it was filled in? At 38' it's probably worth more than $8K, but certainly not 80, even with trailer. Looks like a lot of work needed to bring it up to snuff.

It's not really as bad as it looks.

A little thickened epoxy and some 2-part poly...

Now that traveller is a whole 'nother story.

1488.jpg?ver=11

1573.jpg?ver=11

That trailer doesn't appear to be fitted with brakes or lights. It cost $25k? Yeah, like the boat cost 3 million.

There's a boat hauler here who builds hydraulic trailers that will pick up pretty much any boat that can go down a road. THOSE are $25k, or were when I asked him a decade or so ago.

Just got a message from a guy...boat was previously sold for $21K.

Field trippin'?

More like acid-trippin'. I only vaguely remember the boat on Tampa Bay...only raced against it once. I was on an SR-Maxx, battled them for FTF in a drift fest until race was called with us well ahead. Boat looked a bit better then. $80K is just a fantasy, boat is going to need a lot of work and investment.

It just says 3 million; it doesn't say 3 million what. Maybe 3 million boiled peanuts? Still, it's clearly misleading.

It just says 3 million; it doesn't say 3 million what. Maybe 3 million boiled peanuts? Still, it's clearly misleading.
Early 80s...maybe $400K new as a guess. If it was in fantastic condition with good sails it might now be a $40-50K boat...not much of a market for boats that type now.

It's hideous, but it still has a rig.

the ad says he sold the rig abroad - as if that is a good thing

they are such lovely boats and sail so brilliantly, they self steer on anything other than a dead run

what an arse the man is

D

Well, I didn't read the ad, just looked at the pretty pictures. Even dumber than I thought.

They base that mast off of a lightning or what?!

Sailplan looks horribly unbalanced (lee helm)

Also, check out it's dockmate. yuck!

Folkboats had different fore triangle heights, some were built with masthead rigs. Originally they had a modest rig, with low headstay, similar to a Dragon. I might speculate the design was intended as a cheaper cruising Dragon.

they are such lovely boats and sail so brilliantly, they self steer on anything other than a dead run

what an arse the man is

D

Well, I didn't read the ad, just looked at the pretty pictures. Even dumber than I thought.

You or the boat owner?

what an arse the man is

D

You or the boat owner?

Yes.

wow - what a wonderful world this is. The stories

http://www.submarineboat.com/nuthin_wong.htm

are great

it always amazes me how people are prepared to throw their lives in with another blokes dream/fantasy.

It looks like a real mess of a boat - but it has travelled a lot of miles and been to a lot of places and is still floating.

It looks as though he has taken the "sail now fettle later" maxim to heart.

D

Randomly looking at boats and this popped up. All yours for just under 10K!

5626551_20160203065123979_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

5626551_20160203065154369_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/Autocostruita-Chatam-33-2931057/Roma/Italy#.WLq4kDhMT1s

It is a Caroff designed aluminium boat. Assuming that it hasn't corroded and was well built (OK two big assumptions) it is worth saving, it would be very suitable to do an Atlantic loop.

I don't why people don't at least remove the junk from a boat before selling it.

It would take half an hour to get rid of the crap. Just chuck it in the dumpster

There is a bloke near where I live called Andy Seedhouse

http://www.andyseedhouseboats.co.uk/

he buys old boats, puts them in his his yard, removes everything movable - warps, fenders, coffee mugs

sends in a work experience kid with a bucket and a brush

cleans the inside and then sells the boats off

then, when people realise that they don't have any fenders he takes them into a small shed where he keeps all the stuff he removed and then sells them the fenders that were once on the boat they have just bought.

he is in this film and the thumbnail is his shed

this is a little film I made about selling my Centaur (sad)

Dylan

Kay Jackson wrote a lot better than I could about a similar experience I had in the Caribbean on a cat named RPhurst.

Me for a week and then Four of us, all nurses, ended up jumping ship. We paid a lot too. To learn almost nothing. We agree though. Captain is Schizophrenic.

And fantastically, it's a Brent Swain design. idea.

Designs involve drawings. And learning.

Looks like the geometry is a bit off. Im gussing it will heel about 30 degrees standing still looking at the height of the training wheels above the main hull.

Looks like it would be possible to keep both amas clear of the water most of the time just by moving your weight around.

Someone put a fair amount of work into that. I wonder why?

Looks like the geometry is a bit off. Im gussing it will heel about 30 degrees standing still looking at the height of the training wheels above the main hull.

Looks like it would be possible to keep both amas clear of the water most of the time just by moving your weight around.

Someone put a fair amount of work into that. I wonder why?

Maybe a[foiling] Moth owner built it......

It looks like central hull is from a surf rescue boat, and the outer hulls maybe from a Paper Tiger catamaran.

Not the first time someone has turned an old surf boat into a tri.

post-14756-0-88072000-1489587577_thumb.jpg

post-14756-0-00206800-1489587617_thumb.jpg

Not the safest things in the surf...

It looks like central hull is from a surf rescue boat, and the outer hulls maybe from a Paper Tiger catamaran.

attachicon.gifsurfboat3.jpg

attachicon.gifsurfboat.jpg

Nice video.

When one does purl deep, I think it hits bottom, or else it would still come up! Ready...wave crest...and....Launch that coxswain!

Nice surfing, including the back surfs... :)

attachicon.gifsurfboat3.jpg

attachicon.gifsurfboat.jpg

Nice video.

When one does purl deep, I think it hits bottom, or else it would still come up! Ready...wave crest...and....Launch that coxswain!

Nice surfing, including the back surfs... :)

They're the safest boats there are for doing the sorts of things they do!

Aussies are on in a couple of weeks.

Not a boat, but I present my own work for comment abuse ... flame suit engaged.

(I did the design, and helped a bit with construction)

00i0i_3fg5kBbl0b5_1200x900.jpg

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/rvs/6040791772.html

Those are popular again, dad had one. Your startup company?

you could try one of these! Boat folds into a truck Camper

Those are popular again, dad had one. Your startup company?

you could try one of these! Boat folds into a truck Camper

Mostly a buddy of mine; I've got a day job, he wants to make a go of building these things. Aiming for the low budget crowd.

We think we have something new with the design of the kitchen galley. And we think it's kinda cute.

Do those surf boat Cox's ever get pole vaulted out of those boats?

Yes, the Sweep is often dumped, along with the rest of the crew. About a 1 in 10 chance per race by my rough estimate (depends on the surf and number of collisions, etc)

Very nice.

What sort of woody do you tow it with? ;)