Mocking Ads on Craigslist

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Sauron -- who was even then the lieutenant of Melkor, though passing fair to look upon -- urged Cirdan to build his craft of a new stuff. Hard and strong as stone it was, yet lighter; and many were th

Posted Images

1 minute ago, lasal said:

The only problem with that boat is everything. Pathetic.  Never thought I'd cry over the fate of a J29. Again.

The future of the J29?

By rdavis, June 24, 2013 in Sailing Anarchy

00a0a_8kt5tZSF82n_1200x900.thumb.jpg.3095839de9c79a22fb034d706aa90c4e.jpg

Thats one way to get headroom in a J-29, just damn ugly way to do it.

- Stumbling

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/d/dufour-31-sailboat/6516160851.html

Recently an angry person boarded her and damaged some of the interior wood panels with a small hammer. Vandalism that could be left as it's not structural but quite ugly in places. She was nearly pristine prior to this event.

This sentence raises so many questions and I want to know the backstory.  It looks like they got several whacks on every flat bit of wood in the boat.  I can just imagine how tired you'd get of explaining this to every single person who stepped on your boat forever after.   And why the wood panels, having a piss in the engine intake would surely be more entertaining for less effort, I once saw someone do this to their own boat with interesting results. 

00P0P_8wWbxlVxwZn_1200x900.jpg

What a shame, I actually like the boat. Tiller, handy size & reasonable build quality for my purposes.

The vandalism, being cosmetic, could be dealt with as you go sailing.

I'd keep the trim bright and the panels could be painted, Herreschoff style.

• Like 1

I think it's patina. Varnish it up and it'll become part of the history of the boat. You can create narratives of your own about it, like the way people create drugrunning histories for boats to make them sound more interesting. 

• Like 1
On 2/9/2018 at 5:05 PM, Steam Flyer said:

This boat is actually located in Dayton but the ad popped up near me in Charleston

https://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/d/the-ultimate-pocket-cruiser/6488909913.html

The Ultimate Pocket Cruiser! - $59900 (Daytona Beach)

00b0b_9B5LvxykCQR_600x450.jpg

Basically it's a Hunter25.5 with every thing including an air-cooled kitchen sink. The claim is that he's made over $150K of improvements

At least he has lots of pics

FB- Doug

improvements????????

4 hours ago, Bull City said:

Mild chuckle or two for "Nauti Buoys" specs.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/pearson-sailboat/6498985860.html

5a9c6d7e6979a_nautibuoys.thumb.png.c2de5ad1f72e3a0b6403abb5e9f84833.png

Wow, that is one ugly-ass "piercing" 26. Only $14.5K what a deal!

And from the pic background, I think I know where it is...... must have showed up in the last few weeks, I've NEVER seen that mo'fo and it seems likely to be a memorable sight.

FB- Doug

16 hours ago, paps49 said:

This one would be nice if they ever finish building the cabin.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sail-boat/263500227449?hash=item3d59d66379:g:t9UAAOSwgbhaMtvH

Seems to have lost a mast somewhere along the way? I guess that explains the "Misson mast" line in the specs...

On 3/5/2018 at 3:52 AM, paps49 said:

This one would be nice if they ever finish building the cabin.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sail-boat/263500227449?hash=item3d59d66379:g:t9UAAOSwgbhaMtvH

topless thunderbird..jpg

I’m not sure if that one works for me. It was designed as a camp cruiser and does it well and the price is reasonable...

9 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Coming to a Craigslist near you....

As long as he keeps moving until it burns to the ground he should be O/K.

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I saw an earlier version of this ad a few months ago. Same couple, same budget and request, but it mentioned that they really like late model Bene's and Jeannuae's, and that "bluewater is a must". Guess they have dialed back expectations.

8 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

What's that place in B.C. where there are all kinds of live-aboards available for free? Even some ferros. They just need some TLC. That's where this couple needs to look. Sloop and Ish, help me out here.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/designer-built-20-ft-gaff/6528480142.html

24 watertight compartments in a 20' boat with no pictures of the inside.  can't decide if it's an awesome boat or a terrible one, but it sure looks a little funny.  Definitely won't sink!

"Harvey" was built of laminated plywood in my garage over 3.5 years and launched in June 2013. 20ft. LOA, 18ft. WL, 6ft 3in. Beam, 3ft 5in. Draft, 375 lbs. PPI(pounds per inch displacement)

5 hours ago, Bull City said:

What's that place in B.C. where there are all kinds of live-aboards available for free? Even some ferros. They just need some TLC. That's where this couple needs to look. Sloop and Ish, help me out here.

Up the Fraser? That's our local elephants graveyard.

47 minutes ago, jgbrown said:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/designer-built-20-ft-gaff/6528480142.html

24 watertight compartments in a 20' boat with no pictures of the inside.  can't decide if it's an awesome boat or a terrible one, but it sure looks a little funny.  Definitely won't sink!

"Harvey" was built of laminated plywood in my garage over 3.5 years and launched in June 2013. 20ft. LOA, 18ft. WL, 6ft 3in. Beam, 3ft 5in. Draft, 375 lbs. PPI(pounds per inch displacement)

3800 lbs and roughly 1 1/2 Times the sail area as a laser...

Tender came off a hurricane-wrecked yacht. Actually looks like a decent deal if you want this kind of thing, but...

00q0q_6GcTQ4oXSLA_1200x900.jpg

A towing pylon should extend ABOVE the powerhead of the outboard.

And those paddles sticking off the transom are self-mocking.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/11-ft-fiberglass-boat-yacht/6533252818.html

Looks like we have a disappointed midwesterner...

I don't think we have a "Rants On Craigslist" thread but I guess this goes here.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/boa/d/boats-trailers-and-floridians/6537554797.html

BOATS TRAILERS AND FLORIDIANS (port charlotte)

NEVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I DELT WITH SUCH LOW LIFES SOLD A TRAILER THE GUY MOOCHED MY GREASE GUN LEFT HIM THERE HE LEFT HIS TRASH IN MY YARD SOLD ANOTHER TRAILER SOME SCERVY KID SAYS YA ILL BRING BACK YOUR EMERG LIGHTS NOW WONT ANSWER HIS PHONE BOUGHT A BOAT IN THE WATER MADE THE DEAL PAID THE SCUM BAG TRIED TO LOAD THE BOAT TRAILER WAS TOO SMALL TIRES ROTTED ON BOTTOM SLICK.... REAL SMART WAS SO LIGHT TRAILER ALMOST BROKE SO NOW HERE I AM BOAT NO TRAILER BIG ENOUGHE I TOTALLY GET IT NOW PEOPLE IN GENERAL HERE IN FLA ARE SUCH CREEPS SO DESPERATE TO F----YOU THEYLL SAY ABSALUTELY ANYTHING DO ANYTHING TO GET YOUR STUFF OR MONEY PEOPLE IN NEBRASKA DONT ACT LIKE MONEY HUNGRY LIEING CHEATING DOGS ............KARMA I HOPE ITS REAL.............. MAYBE I SHOULD POST THEYRE NAMES

At least the seller is "negotiable." I dunno if they are willing to negotiate paying somebody to get this pile of rust off their property.

If the hull is 10% ~ 15% of the completed boat, this is about 1% of a completed boat. "Laminated" plans? At least they have the ballast casting, that is worth some $$ at the recyclers.

FB- Doug

If I were King of the World, one of the first things I would do is to make sure that projects such as this had adequate financial backing and a completion bond to ensure that such wastes of resources, and their ultimate cost to the community, would be minimized.

If I were King of the World, one of the first things I would do is to make sure that projects such as this had adequate financial backing and a completion bond to ensure that such wastes of resources, and their ultimate cost to the community, would be minimized.

But then we'd have less to mock on this thread.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/d/1974-sparkman-stephens-yankee/6508048235.html

1974 Sparkman Stephens Yankee 30 Mk III

I was conflicted about posting this one, at first glance(and back when the price was twice as high) it seemed like a decent buy, despite the weird engine placement.   As near as I can tell the engine doesn't line up with the drawings from sailboatdata, or other variations I've seen online on other boats.  It's right in the middle of the salon creating a cramped walkway.  I was debating going to see it, at 9500$ with a newer motor it seemed like a pretty fair deal but I was trying to decide if squeezing past the motor every time I wanted to use the head or get to the V-berth was worth the cost savings.  Now it was re-posted with a lower price and additional photos, and a lot more honesty, I guess some buyers were less amused when they went to see it.  I italicized the original ad for extra fun.  Tightening the keel joint sounds interesting, I wonder what shape the bolts are in.  Wonder what the surveyor found that caused him to value it so low. 

Disclaimer - You have NOT come across a perfect boat for almost nothing. This is an old boat. There is some freshwater intrusion from rainwater. There is a 8" x 8" soft spot on the port deck amidships. The hull to keel joint needed to be re-tightened to spec. The boat is missing some headliner. There is no pressurized hot water shower system. The range is in the back of my jeep and will need to be installed (very easy job for someone who has ever used a crescent wrench, estimated time to complete 10 minutes). This is not SV Delos or SV La Vagabonde. If you're looking for a 30' boat ready to sail to Mexico, look elsewhere. If you're looking for something that would be akin to walking onto a 30', five year old, charter production boat with a beautiful shiny new inside - look elsewhere.

ON THE FLIPSIDE HOWEVER, a very recent professional survey valued this boat between $5700 - $6500. Additionally, I have sailed this boat comfortably with my family (which includes my beautiful awesome wife who is still alive after all our experiences on this "old project boat") and friends in the Puget Sound for years now. If you want to sail around the Puget Sound in a very fast boat, that you can cook food on, sleep comfortably on, pee and poop into a toilet to your hearts content, anchor in quiet serene anchorages, bar-b-cue burgers in the cockpit, fire up a motor that starts every time and runs beautifully, and generally enjoy being outside sailing with friends and family - THEN YOU CAN DO THAT WITH THIS BOAT. So if that is what you're interested in read on. Or just look at the dang videos at the end that were made approximately 8 months ago and substitute myself with yourself.

We have loved sailing the beautiful Puget Sound in this sleek vessel. Yankee 30's are extremely well-built boats, appreciated by sailing afficionados and enthusiasts across the country. Their sailing abilities are widely recognized and she loves to sail fast. Atari is in fair to good condition for a boat her age. We are selling her because we've had a few children and at this point 30' is just a bit cramped. Almost all the available Yankee 30's for sale around the world are listed $20k+. She is currently on the hard in Olympia WA for winter storage. So come take a look at her and sail her away to the San Juans or beyond before someone else does.

Dunno... from a distance, it looks like a pretty decent $5K project boat to me.  If I didn’t already have one, I’d take a closer look.

Yeah it does.  The original ad(and much higher original price) was just the italic parts.  I'm guessing he had a few cranky potential buyers(I would have been one if I had spent a few hundred dollars and a day to travel there based on that).  The revised ad is much better.  I'm still considering it, but if the keel bolts need replacing(right under the motor) and all that was left out originally(the ad suggested it was ready to cruise) makes me wonder what else is left out. 

A Yankee 30 is a pretty good boat. Yea, the engine is forward, like a Tartan 30. If it does have a new motor, the price isn't  out of line. Any 45 year old boat is going to need some work...as long as a buyer knows what they're getting in to, and has some DIY skills, $4800 is a bargain.

33 minutes ago, ancientseawolf said:

Just gotta love a propulsion system that looks offset

It's more common than you think. Prop shafts were initially offset in order to avoid cutting the deadwood and rudderpost when fitting an inboard to boats that didn't originally have them. And sometimes it makes the interior arrangement work better.

Apparently it can help offset prop walk as well.

I've seen it done on a late 70's 1/2 Tonner. I think that was for interior layout reasons but I'm not certain. Certainly eliminates any conflicts with the rudder when pulling a prop or shaft.

13 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Apparently it can help offset prop walk as well.

I've seen it done on a late 70's 1/2 Tonner. I think that was for interior layout reasons but I'm not certain. Certainly eliminates any conflicts with the rudder when pulling a prop or shaft.

Our C&C 29-2 had an offset prop shaft, made life very easy when it came time to pull the shaft to change out the cutless bearing.

12 hours ago, RKoch said:

A Yankee 30 is a pretty good boat. Yea, the engine is forward, like a Tartan 30. If it does have a new motor, the price isn't  out of line. Any 45 year old boat is going to need some work...as long as a buyer knows what they're getting in to, and has some DIY skills, $4800 is a bargain.

Did you see what they did to the motor though?!    It's hard to be 100% sure from the photos but I am pretty sure they moved it to the middle of the boat from comparing with other ones.  Look at the little sliver of space beside the engine box.   Seemed like one of those had a good idea that wasn't actually.   So in this boat the offset might have been best left alone, it's one of the reasons I didn't spend the money to go see it at it's earlier price.  

1 hour ago, jgbrown said:

Did you see what they did to the motor though?!    It's hard to be 100% sure from the photos but I am pretty sure they moved it to the middle of the boat from comparing with other ones.  Look at the little sliver of space beside the engine box.   Seemed like one of those had a good idea that wasn't actually.   So in this boat the offset might have been best left alone, it's one of the reasons I didn't spend the money to go see it at it's earlier price.  

No, the engine wasn't moved. Looks like same location as stock.

image.jpeg

14 minutes ago, RKoch said:

No, the engine wasn't moved. Looks like same location as stock.

image.jpeg

Interesting. I was about to link you the photos that made me curious about if it had been moved/clearance to get past it to the rest of the boat... and they have been removed from the ad.    They were the  only photos in which you could see the galley clearly too, and it seemed closer to where the cabinet aft of the engine is in the drawing and farther towards the center.

I've seen a few boats with the engine in that position and it seemed ideal to me, Weight centered, great access for engine work etc.

You need enough beam that the engine box doesn't create foot room problems and very good sealing & soundproofing to preclude stink & noise but if you have those it works great.

It's only a few inches off-center.  You might not be able to tell in a photo.  The square aft of the motor is a folding dinette table that would have to be removed to open the engine box.  So when closed, the engine box makes an extended dining table.  And prevents you from sitting in the forward part of the port settee.  

They did sort of the same thing on my boat, with a hanging locker.  Since I don't really need to "sleep six," I extended the box laterally, over the settee, and made a king-sized chart table and nav station.  Works great for me.