Mocking Ads on Craigslist

11 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I am especially impressed with the variable depth fixed keel, thats shallow when you don't want it to be (maximum depth), and deep when you do want it shallow (minimum depth.)   Hmm, contrarian keel technology, or just a boat with Oppositional Defiant Disorder?

- Stumbling

And I have not been able to find any reference to a Cat 30 with centerboard or swing keel. 

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Sauron -- who was even then the lieutenant of Melkor, though passing fair to look upon -- urged Cirdan to build his craft of a new stuff. Hard and strong as stone it was, yet lighter; and many were th

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

That looks like petrified puke

Do people install that shit in their kitchens as an aid to weight loss??

FB- Doug

Aspirational granite. It's okay. It wears well, so you should go on hating your kitchen for decades to come. (Except particle board substrate on a boat isn't so good.) 

I try to push people who crave the stone look to price actual granite, which is now only about 2x the price of a custom laminate job. But that can still be $2-3k additional, and the budget does not always stretch. Stone or solid surface on a boat is heavy

3 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

And I have not been able to find any reference to a Cat 30 with centerboard or swing keel. 

Run into something fast enough and you'll make a swing keel  :P

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

It's an album cover, not a boat, but there's plenty to mock on this epic fail...

image.jpeg

No shit - he should have been crucified before he married and reproduced.

Or stuck to handling his dick at a minimum.

And where is the 4th member?

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

No shit - he should have been crucified before he married and reproduced.

Or stuck to handling his dick at a minimum.

And where is the 4th member?

In his hand.

Two "motivated sellers." I wonder why...

Rant: I know this is a free country, but sometimes I think individuals, and the community, need to be protected from these nautical follies. It's not unlike zoning ordinances, building codes and construction permits that protect individuals and the community from harebrained schemes, shoddy construction and unfinished projects, at least most of the time. Think about the social cost of these abandoned hulks. 

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

Rant: I know this is a free country, but sometimes I think individuals, and the community, need to be protected from these nautical follies. It's not unlike zoning ordinances, building codes and construction permits that protect individuals and the community from harebrained schemes, shoddy construction and unfinished projects, at least most of the time. Think about the social cost of these abandoned hulks. 

And the children. What of the children.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

1977 30' Catalina that had a custom refit with a pilothouse added. This is a great project boat with a nice diesel engine. Asking $10,700. Very Motivated. Bring All Offers!

Very motivated, just not motivated to pick up a scrub brush and a hose or any of the crap lying around. The pilothouse would look OK on some other boat, I guess. If I had seen this over my morning coffee I'd probably mock it more thoroughly. It deserves it.

2 hours ago, Autonomous said:
5 hours ago, Bull City said:

And the children. What of the children.

The cost is mostly borne by PM sufferers who don't really see the problem.

These "projects," and I use the term advisedly, are so bad that the owners are so spent and drained that they don't even have the energy to clean up the wretched hulk before taking their "marketing" pics. Doesn't that say something?

On 4/12/2018 at 7:01 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

People are funny. He says he'll have better pics in a day or so, but apparently thought the world couldn't wait to see this one.

The banjo appears in another image as well. Not that many boat ads feature a banjo.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/heritage-morgan-37-sailboat/6558416808.html

00u0u_ecmhv5EhdkO_1200x900.jpg

The banjo has been removed.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/37-morgan-heritage-9/6568667303.html

17 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

If anyone is looking at the contact metrics on this posting, they are going to wonder why are all the folks from way far away looking at this ad!

- Stumbling

3 hours ago, jgbrown said:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2007/Beneteau-39.3-Moorings-3204551/Parham/Antigua-%26-Barbuda

Available for quick sale, 11, 500$. Don’t let the barnacles bother you, just find a retired NASCAR engine to make it go fast enough to blow them off.

5aefec98738a7_2018-05-0623_04_42-2007Beneteau39.3MooringsSailBoatForSale-www.yachtworld_com.png.e3c09353354e22f0d7699761953ace76.png

The listing broker who I won't even dignify by using their real name is "*Shitified Sales*" and has a yard that is local to me. AFAIK he is the originator of the legal but fake "bid against yourself not really an auction, auction". They will list anything but that description takes even them to a whole new level of fucktardiness.

For example, here is a more typical description for a J-30 with severe keel damage.

"It was reported that the vessel took on damage at hull to keel joint, due to external force being placed on the keel. This action caused keel to twist, and swings back and forth when moved with a small amount of force. The break is shown from port to starboard, and aft of keel to the right of the keel to starboard (review photos). Otherwise she looks to be in good condition."

YS180069_04.jpg.9fd84b8f157d669e58f4a6357ffbeb4c.jpg

How they stay in business and/or out of jail is beyond me.

I’ve bought several boats from Certified Sales in the past.

They are very professional and their method of open auction is appealing to me. They describe the damage realistically and the market sets the final purchase price. 

I tell them to call me when a certain “asset” is down to 2 or 3 serious bidders so I can outbid them if I really want the boat.

Of course there are boats that are complete losses while others are solid projects that pass surveys for reconstruction. 

This particular boat is worth about what they are asking. It can be stripped for metal that will wind up on eBay if anyone gets down there with a sawzall. If not, Certified cuts them up and disposes of them. That’s the downside for them. Poor Albert, down there sweating his ass off at the staging grounds...

Kijiji is a treasure trove of interesting ads.

5af0f4d8f0578__759.thumb.JPG.e868b3a12b0839a45b09143b909dab91.JPG

Seriously Folks ... this sailing into the sunset scene is the deal for you !! ...if you like the Eco/Ergo-nomic aspect of buying a home complete with a business model; that will keep you entertained (and earning 4 times minimum wage) as a Sailboat Captain offering Sailboat Excursions !

This boat does not look like it would pass any sort of inspection for carrying passengers, and he doesn't mention having an SVOP certification either.  I guess the deck chairs in the cockpit cover the ergo-nomics?5af0f4d77d257__519.thumb.JPG.5ef6d1f1e2142cadc20849d7f7890cb2.JPG5af0f4d2f39f7__59.JPG.02294297c7fbecb5ccfed2b7b041c68d.JPG

Right now (Scuzzy on the Dock) $7,000.00 (You Bristol-Clean the Hull & Topside), while I upgrade the solar-power system for charging phones and computers panels, as well as upgrade the rigging !

...if I do all the do all the work $9,000.00 (ready by May 15th, 2018)

7000$ for a moldy Coronado, such a deal!

5af0f4d41336d__259.JPG.d61e9b966636c91e90361a36a63977b6.JPG5af0f4d65fd46__459.JPG.fe62396a99c1aaf999a67e1ef7d3837a.JPG

$_359.JPG

Couple of entries from our area today just because the text is funny.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/boa/d/35-allied-seabreeze-bluewater/6556952104.html

That one may not be a bad deal if you want such a thing but

Main sail recently new
2 new North full spinnakers for wing to wing
3 new racing sales
Recently Awlgriped hull
Recently painted topside w topside paint

Makes me wonder how "new" differs from "recently new" when it comes to sales.

It's good to see that the Department of Redundancy Department has been at work painting .

And then there's the inevitable FREE SAILBOAT

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/free-sailboat/6582540555.html

Fair enough but this is always going to be asking too much:

NO FANTASY JACKWAGONS WHO THINK THEY WANT TO LIVE ABOARD!

Without those we'd have no sailing industry.

21 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/boa/d/35-allied-seabreeze-bluewater/6556952104.html

It's good to see that the Department of Redundancy Department has been at work painting .

Then there's this:

"Westerbeke Diesel (runs)
Mercury 9.9 HP 25" xl shaft 2 new props (big pitch and high rev) on Garelick mount on CMC tilt and trim"

Does that sounds like the diesel runs but does not actually power the boat and the 9.9HP Merc is mounted on the transom for propulsion?

Maybe not such a great deal after all.

In full disclosure I had a gutted Seabreeze that I was going to restore but threw in the towel and cut up last year. The Seabreeze is a nice CCA centerboarder if, as Unc Tom says it's what you want.

14 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I’ve bought several boats from Certified Sales in the past.

They are very professional and their method of open auction is appealing to me. They describe the damage realistically and the market sets the final purchase price. 

I tell them to call me when a certain “asset” is down to 2 or 3 serious bidders so I can outbid them if I really want the boat.

Of course there are boats that are complete losses while others are solid projects that pass surveys for reconstruction. 

This particular boat is worth about what they are asking. It can be stripped for metal that will wind up on eBay if anyone gets down there with a sawzall. If not, Certified cuts them up and disposes of them. That’s the downside for them. Poor Albert, down there sweating his ass off at the staging grounds...

I have no reason to doubt you Sail4Beer. Maybe you as a pro are treated a little differently.

My problem is how they pitch their "auctions" to the average Joe here in Massachusetts. 

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

And then there's the inevitable FREE SAILBOAT

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/free-sailboat/6582540555.html

Fair enough but this is always going to be asking too much:

Without those we'd have no sailing industry.

That Allied looks pretty good for the price. Def worth looking at by someone looking for a classic CCA yawl.

9 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

"Westerbeke Diesel (runs)
Mercury 9.9 HP 25" xl shaft 2 new props (big pitch and high rev) on Garelick mount on CMC tilt and trim"

Does that sounds like the diesel runs but does not actually power the boat and the 9.9HP Merc is mounted on the transom for propulsion?

That's exactly what it sounds like to me.

But if the transom were not decorated with an outboard and the diesel powered the boat, I would expect the price to have five figures.

9 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

I have no reason to doubt you Sail4Beer. Maybe you as a pro are treated a little differently.

My problem is how they pitch their "auctions" to the average Joe here in Massachusetts. 

As a pro I’m treated just like any other chump looking for a boat when it comes to Certified. Their job is to take damaged boats that have been deemed totaled by the insurance company and sell that asset at between 10 and 25% of the actual value of the boat for the insurance company and keep 8% in service fees. The boats they sell or sometimes broker all have clear titles unlike automobiles which would come with salvage titles. To clear a salvage title as rebuilt, you have to prove to the motor vehicle commission that the car or truck has been totally rebuilt to safety standard. The boats are sold as structural losses with clear title. It’s up to a surveyor to determine the true damage and recommend repair procedures before the average person buys. After Superstorm Sandy, 65,000 boats were damaged on the East Coast. Many insurance adjusters lost their jobs  because they just wrote up incorrect or false damage reports. I found a few of them early on and waited for them to come to auction.

In the past, I have bought boats that match restorations I’m doing, and one one occasion, I was able to buy an Ensign sailboat that had a good deck and transplanted that on one that needed a new deck. The boat cost me $100 and a new replacement deck is $5,000. That savings was passed on to my customer who appreciated it. 

That said, I’ve seen guys buy beat to hell old boats from them at high prices with no skills to repair them properly. That is not Certified’s fault- that’s the buyers responsibility to know their abilities. I feel bad for those folks...there are plenty of cheap boats that have not been through a catastrophe.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

As a pro I’m treated just like any other chump looking for a boat when it comes to Certified. Their job is to take damaged boats that have been deemed totaled by the insurance company and sell that asset at between 10 and 25% of the actual value of the boat for the insurance company and keep 8% in service fees. The boats they sell or sometimes broker all have clear titles unlike automobiles which would come with salvage titles. To clear a salvage title as rebuilt, you have to prove to the motor vehicle commission that the car or truck has been totally rebuilt to safety standard. The boats are sold as structural losses with clear title. It’s up to a surveyor to determine the true damage and recommend repair procedures before the average person buys. After Superstorm Sandy, 65,000 boats were damaged on the East Coast. Many insurance adjusters lost their jobs  because they just wrote up incorrect or false damage reports. I found a few of them early on and waited for them to come to auction.

In the past, I have bought boats that match restorations I’m doing, and one one occasion, I was able to buy an Ensign sailboat that had a good deck and transplanted that on one that needed a new deck. The boat cost me $100 and a new replacement deck is $5,000. That savings was passed on to my customer who appreciated it. 

That said, I’ve seen guys buy beat to hell old boats from them at high prices with no skills to repair them properly. That is not Certified’s fault- that’s the buyers responsibility to know their abilities. I feel bad for those folks...there are plenty of cheap boats that have not been through a catastrophe.

Well now I'm curious..... IS there such a thing as a "salvage title" for boats? Here in NC there is also a "flood title" for cars that have not ben damaged any other way than having been in a flood.

Insurance fraud seems endemic. I've seen it on an industrial scale, followed by the inevitable crash. When will people learn?

FB- Doug

3 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

i think we need to get brent back - him and PPS could be quite entertaining

We never need BS back. Ever

PPS likes the attention but doesn’t pretend to be the least bit intelligent

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well now I'm curious..... IS there such a thing as a "salvage title" for boats? Here in NC there is also a "flood title" for cars that have not ben damaged any other way than having been in a flood.

Insurance fraud seems endemic. I've seen it on an industrial scale, followed by the inevitable crash. When will people learn?

FB- Doug

I don’t think there is a salvage title on an insurance totaled boat. They just don’t want to pay for an extensive repair  so they pay out an agreed upon value to the owner and then dispose of the boats through salvage brokers. Unlike an automobile with bent frame, water damage or other truly difficult and expensive repairs that deem them true salvage, a totaled boat is just a piece of plastic that can be “glued” back together as good as new under most circumstances. That said, if you buy that Moorings Beneteau or the J boat with the keel fracture without a complete survey, good luck paying a surveyor $600 plus later and getting them to agree that the boat is repairable or an insurance company to insure you without the complete survey list being repaired. That can be prohibitively expensive...

But a boat that has a couple of holes punched in it or a chunk of deck torn out from a dismasting,  no problem repairing

On 5/7/2018 at 6:10 AM, Monkey Butler said:

For example, here is a more typical description for a J-30 with severe keel damage.

"It was reported that the vessel took on damage at hull to keel joint, due to external force being placed on the keel. This action caused keel to twist, and swings back and forth when moved with a small amount of force. The break is shown from port to starboard, and aft of keel to the right of the keel to starboard (review photos). Otherwise she looks to be in good condition."

YS180069_04.jpg.9fd84b8f157d669e58f4a6357ffbeb4c.jpg

How they stay in business and/or out of jail is beyond me.

I really don't see the problem here. I mean other than the huge crack and the fact that the keel is easily moved with a small amount of force.

If I arrived, saw that, pushed on it and it moved, AND the "otherwise in good condition" somehow proved to be true, I'd consider it a fair representation of what they were selling.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Now I know what "Loaded with quality gear" looks like.

The owners are obviously packrats. Seems a good boat, but you'd want to shovel out the interior first.

$_59.JPG

I admire that ship's clock.  

Some day I will buy one for my home office - a real, mechanical one that has to be wound and chimes bells every half hour.  

I admire someone who spends $800 on a clock that likely doesn't do as good of a job at telling time as a $3 watch.  

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

The owners are obviously packrats. Seems a good boat, but you'd want to shovel out the interior first.

$_59.JPG

I have skid steer and a back hoe to lend if anyone buys the boat. I don’t think a shovel is an adequate tool for any prospect on this thread lately now that the banjo is gone

Oh come on, that's a relatively tidy one by Craigslist standards.  

When I bought my current boat, I pulled a whole truckload of junk off of it.  There were no dumpsters at the marina so I loaded up the farm truck. It was astonishing, but the stuff just kept coming.  Since this was my first "big" boat, it was quite amazing to think that I now owned a boat that could contain a whole truck load of junk.  

• Like 1

Pirate ship - $6500 (Callao, northern neck virgina) 

length overall (LOA): 23 
propulsion type: power

You "arr" lookin at a used pirate ship. For sale by the "ownarr" she is Diesel powered, and being sold with a skeleton crew!

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/pirate-ship/6583001478.html

00c0c_bEBRMlVRCQq_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_arEnRC4HHxR_1200x900.jpg

00Y0Y_xwUDFQY1Iw_1200x900.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, captain_crunch said:

Pirate ship - $6500 (Callao, northern neck virgina) 

length overall (LOA): 23 
propulsion type: power

You "arr" lookin at a used pirate ship. For sale by the "ownarr" she is Diesel powered, and being sold with a skeleton crew!

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/pirate-ship/6583001478.html

00c0c_bEBRMlVRCQq_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_arEnRC4HHxR_1200x900.jpg

00Y0Y_xwUDFQY1Iw_1200x900.jpg

That is hokey enough to join the Gasparilla Invasion fleet!

- Stumbling

This welcoming statement is on an ad in SailboatListings.com:

"For Sale: READ THIS FIRST: Boat is at anchor with friends, I have Kayak but only fits one person, so you need to have/bring YOUR OWN transportation from shore to the boat. Thanks!"

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

"For Sale: READ THIS FIRST: Boat is at anchor with friends, I have Kayak but only fits one person, so you need to have/bring YOUR OWN transportation from shore to the boat. Thanks!"

59 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I ran into that once - boat was on a mooring and the guy said I should bring my own dinghy.

Real salesmanship.

Decent way to thin out the herd of tire kicking 'I'll take it if you can finance' time wasters.

17 hours ago, Bull City said:

And the guy probably complains that his wonderful boat is just not getting the appreciation it deserves

We have neighbors who have been trying to see their house for 8 or 9 years. It's everybody elses' fault, stupid real estate agents, taxes, the POA, the neighbors dog, etc etc. Clueless is not even the beginning

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

What IS the problem with your neighbours house Steamer? :D

It's priced at about 3x what anybody with the brains of a doorknob would pay for it. It also looks like a double-wide with kitschy landscaping, but that's a side issue. My house looks like a fishing shack that plopped down in the woods.

-DSK

Dunno... people around here list and list and list and don't sell.  Then after they give up, some space alien from California knocks on their door with a cash offer larger than they were asking in the first place.  

Man, I haven't gotten one of those knocks in years.  Maybe I should mow the lawn and get rid of some of these old boats and things...

On 5/21/2018 at 8:36 AM, SloopJonB said:

What IS the problem with your neighbours house Steamer? :D

On 5/21/2018 at 9:48 AM, Steam Flyer said:

It's priced at about 3x what anybody with the brains of a doorknob would pay for it. It also looks like a double-wide with kitschy landscaping, but that's a side issue. My house looks like a fishing shack that plopped down in the woods.

-DSK

I was thinking it must have to do with the house next to the neighbors house. ;)

Looking for a pilothouse? Oh, wait, wrong thread...

You may well pass on this one...

I admire the use of structural headers in the construction, rasta wiring, 2 microwaves for redundancy, claim of plentiful storage with pics of crap everywhere and the expansive flare of the ph at the stern.

It is in Richmond on the Fraser, so next ad it will be listed upstream in Mission...

We all know you need a guitar or banjo in the pics to sell a lady like this...

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/boa/d/38-motorsailer-liveaboard/6599326207.html

00x0x_drxhDVv3Zva_1200x900.jpg

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

It is in Richmond on the Fraser, so next ad it will be listed upstream in Mission...00x0x_drxhDVv3Zva_1200x900.jpg

Has to make lengthy stops at the Pitt bridge and Langley before it gets to Mission.

I'd say it's going to make it though. What a beastly POS.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Has to make lengthy stops at the Pitt bridge and Langley before it gets to Mission.

I'd say it's going to make it though. What a beastly POS.

Would that lengthy stop be called the Wild Duck Inn? :D

No need for a mast past that point anyway...plenty of Pitt-falls beyond there, Seagrams Cove, Crack Bay, Meth Arm, Coke Spoon Cove and Blunt Point...the only salvation being a Mission in Mission.

Mission boasts a medium correction facility, a low risk facility, bush camps for youth offenders...so plenty of potential customers being released at a weak point in their lives...as well as the largest grow op in Canadian history. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission,_British_Columbia

No need to reach the head of navigable water at Boston Bar...

• Like 1

"4-107 perkins diesel, 10hp yamaha 4 stroke kicker, " The kicker is included because the perkins doesn't run.

"huge solar system that runs everything, " Explains the origin of life

"I will finance this boat with $5000 down." Which is more that the boat is worth, and then I can get a judgement to execute against your real assets when you realize you have been bamboozled and default on the note.

2 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Looking for a PILOT SHANTYHOUSE Oh, wait, wrong thread...

I admire the use of structural headers in the construction, rasta wiring, 2 microwaves for redundancy, claim of plentiful storage with pics of crap everywhere and the expansive flare of the ph at the stern.

It is in Richmond on the Fraser, so next ad it will be listed upstream in Mission...

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/boa/d/38-motorsailer-liveaboard/6599326207.html

fify!

3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

I'm trying to figure out the garden hose, bucket, brush and wet dock. Did they actually attempt to clean this thing up for the photos? The sheer at the bow does look a shade darker.

Either that or they are cleaning up the evidence from a fuel spill.

Is the neighborhood that bad that you need to lock up your bike AND the front wheel like in the city?

The bow starts to look darker right about where it would get hard to scrub from the dock. I believe you're right! They did attempt a partial cleaning.

Despite everything else, it should probably be ejected from this thread for that reason. There's always Uglyboats, the Pilothouse thread, and COTB for further discussion of this one, which does sound like fun.

20 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

I'm trying to figure out the garden hose, bucket, brush and wet dock. Did they actually attempt to clean this thing up for the photos? The sheer at the bow does look a shade darker.

Either that or they are cleaning up the evidence from a fuel spill.

Is the neighborhood that bad that you need to lock up your bike AND the front wheel like in the city?

I’m surprised they didn’t lock the boat to the dock so the marina wouldn’t kick them into the flotsam zone

7 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Max's boat?

b1495c768f307b9ee55d4fbccca60d82--s-kids

• Like 1
On 5/26/2018 at 10:25 AM, Sail4beer said:

fify!

Yes

The sails appear to be the dacron equivalent of Tom's plywood experiment.:D

49 minutes ago, Machsquad said:

Pictures look good, except for location of the solar panels... Blisters are easy not to show on pictures.