Mocking Ads on Craigslist

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm not sure I should admit this but that boat was built by my long time former neighbor, yep, B. Lewis.  As a fellow sometime mocker I am getting a kick out of all your comments but I will come

Ain't that the truth.  If he would have just humbly and simply said "i adopted and built on this method and built a few boats, lived simply and escaped the rat race all my life, it works for me"  he c

Sauron -- who was even then the lieutenant of Melkor, though passing fair to look upon -- urged Cirdan to build his craft of a new stuff. Hard and strong as stone it was, yet lighter; and many were th

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Plus a set of Ginsu Knives to the first 500 callers!

If it was a Pocket Fisherman I'd be all over that offer

5 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

From RONCO!

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Plus a set of Ginsu Knives to the first 500 callers!

32 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

If it was a Pocket Fisherman I'd be all over that offer

No, no, no... wait... I know, I know !!!

This...

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Does it double as a cooler?

25 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

I was going to say, fill it with ice & beer and tow it behind you to the next raft up.

...and keeping with the Crowehurst theme you cold fill the rear compartment with cashews. In case anyone feels like nuts.

Edited by Monkey Butler
Spilling
19 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Wow, is it just me or does this look like a mini Teignmouth Electron?

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/6614457469.html

00000_gpuWKBDQjDW_600x450.jpg

I want that.

Someone offer 50 bucks but don't go over 100.  Unless the "crack" in the bottom is just too bad!

Bring it to me in Fl and you can have three nights free at;

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/vac/d/florida-waterfront-cottage/6604764707.html

1 hour ago, Therapy said:

I want that.

Someone offer 50 bucks but don't go over 100.  Unless the "crack" in the bottom is just too bad!

Bring it to me in Fl and you can have three nights free at;

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/vac/d/florida-waterfront-cottage/6604764707.html

If you paid for a one way pickup rental for a few days I might do it.

10 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Hillbilly divesting in maritime asset, willing to accept loss.

hillbilly.png

And in the five years since he bought it for $2800 it has sat there and filled up with rain water to the point that the weight caused the trailer to buckle.

Tale u wat, jus frum lewkin at duh pitchur I giff u diddly. 

9 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Tale u wat, jus frum lewkin at duh pitchur I giff u diddly. 

hey munk yew wanna go an look at er? i can meetcher there. i'm only about 500 mals from mcminnville

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/d/40-motorsailer/6623404667.html

Stumpy, a steel Nicholson design, with a bimini designed not to rot on the wet coast. Maybe the mast telescopes up, like a pocket fisherman.

00P0P_h34Jxr4AdWV_1200x900.jpg

On 6/22/2018 at 4:06 PM, Norse Horse said:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/d/40-motorsailer/6623404667.html

Stumpy, a steel Nicholson design, with a bimini designed not to rot on the wet coast. Maybe the mast telescopes up, like a pocket fisherman.

00P0P_h34Jxr4AdWV_1200x900.jpg

First thought was this was a prison hulk:

HMS+York+hulk.jpg

Second thought was that if this was a transforming mast, there are better options:

- Stumbling

2 hours ago, dorydude said:

$_20.JPG

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bairnsdale/sail-boats/yacht-30-ft-unfinished-project-swap-/1185672854

Interesting to note that photographer was too frightened to even wind down window of his vehicle, let alone get out to photograph this thing.

Will "swap for something of interest".

A pet rock , perhaps?

"Unfinished project all of the hard work has been done..."

The hard work of fucking it up?

Seriously, that isn't your ordinary botched project.

16 hours ago, [email protected] said:

The boat may be sound, but I wouldn't describe it as 'large. The trailer looks ok, the photos woeful, and price optimistic... https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/canberra-city/sail-boats/large-sailing-boat-delivery-available-/1188117434

Large Sailing Boat (delivery available)

That boat with a reverse bow and swept spreaders and centerboard looks like it will kick some serious ass with a little cleanup and plane in 8 knots

On 6/27/2018 at 10:43 PM, dorydude said:

$_20.JPG

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bairnsdale/sail-boats/yacht-30-ft-unfinished-project-swap-/1185672854

Interesting to note that photographer was too frightened to even wind down window of his vehicle, let alone get out to photograph this thing.

A pet rock , perhaps?

"Sometimes when a Luger and a Bayliner love each other very much...."

• Like 5

Okay, it's not a sailboat, or sail related, but the thread's been sort of slow so I present this:

Antique "Lee's of Miami" Fighting Chair - $700 (Clinton) 

00N0N_6Yn2mXHENf0_600x450.jpg

https://worcester.craigslist.org/bpo/d/antique-lees-of-miami/6629690022.html

This is a Antique "Lee's of Miami" Fighting Chair. It's in nice shape for its age with no damage to speak of but lots of wear. The pictures describe it better than I can. I only know that its "Lee's of Miami" because it says it on the rod holder.

download.jpg.5da7da253546d23bfa6c862b81692418.jpg

On 4/21/2018 at 5:42 PM, Sail4beer said:

This one is interesting.  Is there anyone here from the area where it was listed that might know the boat?  Based on the bottom paint she ended up bow heavy when the cabin was added.

I love Sharpies.

4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I remember it at Tuckerton Seaport Museum when it was in better shape. I had a Norwalk Island Sharpie by Bruce Kirby. Nice design

Does the museum still exist where I might find info?  That boat is straight out of Chappel's books.  38' was the generec length for a working Sharpie as documented in American Small Sailing Craft.  Just at a glance the hull may predate 1900 with the cabin added in the 20's or 30's..

More photos of the construction details tell the full story.

Bruce Kirby did some cool boats as did Phill Bolger.  It might be just historic enough to justify saving (its being in a museum may or may not add to verify).  I would like to everything possible.  

42 minutes ago, Little Wood Boays said:

Does the museum still exist where I might find info?  That boat is straight out of Chappel's books.  38' was the generec length for a working Sharpie as documented in American Small Sailing Craft.  Just at a glance the hull may predate 1900 with the cabin added in the 20's or 30's..

More photos of the construction details tell the full story.

Bruce Kirby did some cool boats as did Phill Bolger.  It might be just historic enough to justify saving (its being in a museum may or may not add to verify).  I would like to everything possible.  

If it is a true and proper working Sharpie there will be a third mast step at the forward end of the centerboard trunk.

From what I see in the photo I would love to save that boat.  Drift fish in 6" of water on a boat that sails well if one follows the rules of balance.

12 minutes ago, Little Wood Boays said:

From what I see in the photo I would love to save that boat.  Drift fish in 6" of water on a boat that sails well if one follows the rules of balance.

I see the attraction of the design ... but that boat looks dead.  You'd be building a replica, even if you did it Leo Samspon Goolden-style by starting with the existing boat and replacing every single piece of timber

On 6/28/2018 at 2:43 PM, dorydude said:

$_20.JPG

A pet rock , perhaps?

The really scary thing is, that ad now says 'SOLD'.

Got friends in Paynesville near Bairnsdale. I'm sure that if that 'thing' ever floats, I'll hear about it.

FKT

27 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Got friends in Paynesville near Bairnsdale. I'm sure that if that 'thing' ever floats, I'll hear about it.

If it floats ... any bets on which way up it would float?

• Like 1

You can contact them about the boat. It was built in the early 1960’samd cruised by a family before it was donated to the Seaport. I remember it there a while backnand then they sold it to this person who did nothing...

Two Legs is right. Just a pattern boat if you have the plans. A beautiful pattern boat!

ABF97F93-27A3-4C0F-B785-7CACD4C595CB.jpeg

2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

If it floats ... any bets on which way up it would float?

Hmmmm - let me think about that........

No.

That thing needs to meet with a plasma cutter, angle grinder and scrap metal dealer, not necessarily in that order.

FKT

4 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I see the attraction of the design ... but that boat looks dead.  You'd be building a replica, even if you did it Leo Samspon Goolden-style by starting with the existing boat and replacing every single piece of timber

I think you are probably right.  Would be a monster pain in the ass to save but under the right circumstances I would do it.  My old lady has told me point blank if I bring home one more boat it will be named "Divorce Decree".

I can sell my Pearson and the pontoon boat so two out and one in.  I can fly that, right?  The problem as I see it is coming up with a good excuse to need to be gone with flat bed long enough to go get the silly thing.

All depending on photos showing construction details.  The waterline being wrong leads me to believe this started life as a working boat that was later decked.  If it is a pre 1900 hull I will go get it just to have it for yard art.

2 minutes ago, Little Wood Boays said:

I think you are probably right.  Would be a monster pain in the ass to save but under the right circumstances I would do it.  My old lady has told me point blank if I bring home one more boat it will be named "Divorce Decree".

I can sell my Pearson and the pontoon boat so two out and one in.  I can fly that, right?  The problem as I see it is coming up with a good excuse to need to be gone with flat bed long enough to go get the silly thing.

I suspect that the avoidance-of-divorce sweepstakes, the day or two needed to collect it would pale into insignificance beside the 437 squillion hours of labour needed for a rebuild.

It was built in the early 1960’s, not pre-1900.

You can have my 1930’s 26’ catboat to finish restoring if you want a wooden project boat that isn’t anywhere near dead yet...

It looks like someone already did. Maybe just a small propane explosion.

Judging by that scum line someone has taken many tons of weight out of it.

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

Leave the toolbox at home.  Bring dynamite

No need.

Propane tank is there leaking into the bilge. No license required like for dynamite.

And then it will provide an argument for all those that seem to think that propane is dangerous.

4 hours ago, Pipe Dream said:

An outstanding find.

thing s to know

1 cabin hull & deck (see notes below)

2 no engine I can find on board ?????

Cabin has rot in it and its bad as it gets not all but in pilot house main cabin not so much in the forward part and a some in the stern this lets in rain the cabin is made of wood

I wonder what this A frame contraption over the boom is?

3_3.jpg

I'm still cracking up over the inability to locate an engine and the apparent resulting confusion.

It's like he didn't even locate an engine room. It may have been sealed shut. Some record-breaking ocean voyagers do that, I hear.

1 hour ago, dagowannabe said:

I have lurked awhile but, had to join to post this. It comes with a trailer and everything

boat.JPG

Looks like the trailer fell off the tow vehicle on the freeway.  I guess that means it's easy to pick up, central location!  Will need quite an extension on the hitch to be able to hook up to it though!

34 minutes ago, RedRyder said:

I had my first sailing experience in something not dissimilar to that. It was an old concrete mixing trough that had been re-purposed by a couple of 12-ish year old brothers. Sapling mast and bed sheet sail. It was waterproofed by the dried concrete - an early ferro boat.

28 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I had my first sailing experience in something not dissimilar to that. It was an old concrete mixing trough that had been re-purposed by a couple of 12-ish year old brothers. Sapling mast and bed sheet sail. It was waterproofed by the dried concrete - an early ferro boat.

This one has flotation compartments and collision bulkheads.  It also has two stout handles on the transom, which determine its resale value.   

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Plus chines, so it must be fast ;)

14 minutes ago, toddster said:

I'm guessing they've moved up to "Ginger."

Back in the day, Ginger was something. But Ginger and Mary Ann didn't age the same:

1C4348071-tdy-121018-gilligans-island-co

1C4348072-tdy-121018-gilligans-island-co

Of course, it seems that the boat in question seems to be named Mary Ann but aged a bit more like Ginger...

9 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

Have you never punted?

Yes on the fourth down.

Not sure if it is a viable propulsion system though.

On 7/3/2018 at 4:49 PM, Pipe Dream said:

You know how in real estate sales, there are companies that will "stage" a vacant house, i.e. bring in some furniture and accessories to make it look nice? Well, when you see so many boats like this one that have that je ne sais quoi look about them, I wonder if there are companies that will provide that look for you, the seller of your dream boat.

2 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

Punting works very nicely for flat bottom boats in shallow water, quite different from sculling though.

punting-by-Trinity.jpg

On 7/6/2018 at 6:37 PM, TQA said:

No mast hole

No rowlocks

No outboard pad

No sculling notch [] scraping the barrel]

So propulsion by ?

I think that's what the handles are for. You drag it around. I'm not sure why you do, which may be why it's for sale.